Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I’m wondering how I’m going to handle Thanksgiving.  Most of the family members have various places they are going that day for meals, but it’s still possible that a few will come to see my parents while I’m there. This year I think we’ll have a late lunch around 3:00 for a few of us.   The trouble is that one of my brothers and his wife are not vaxxed.  They are anti-vaxxers.  They no longer wear masks either.  I’ve been around them briefly since covid, but keep it short and keep my mask on.  If it’s warm, we can sit outside, but if not….I guess I’ll have to leave.  It’s sad to have to stress over the Holidays over stuff like this.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
6 minutes ago, CandyCaneTree said:

I have sad news this morning one of my dogs died. Now I have have to tell my 8 year old the bad news when I pick her up from school 😢

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet dog.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, CandyCaneTree said:

I have sad news this morning one of my dogs died. Now I have have to tell my 8 year old the bad news when I pick her up from school 😢

We are so sorry you lost your dog. I hope your 8 year old takes it well. Hugs. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CandyCaneTree said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.  😢

• Love 3
22 hours ago, CandyCaneTree said:

On one of the Arkansas marriage license lookup website David Keller and Hannah Reber were issued a license on October 1st but no marriage date so I think that it will be this weekend or on Thanksgiving. 

I'd wait a few weeks until Josh was out if the house (one way or the other) before having the wedding, but that fool Mr. Reber will probaby feel that it's an honor to have Josh there.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm pretty sure the wedding is this week. David's church announced it would be his last Sunday two Sundays ago. Looks like he's relocating to AR.

So Nathan lost his business partner and JB is about to add an employee to his car lots. What else is David capable of doing to support a family?

• Love 6

Did anyone watch the 20/20 episode featuring interviews with two of the Turpin children last night? I can't stop thinking about Jordan, the now 21-year-old who was the one to climb out of the window and call 911 to end the abuse. She came across to me as so immensely bright and curious and very positive about life despite all that has happened to her. It was not surprising to me after hearing her talk that she was the one who escaped and made the call. I can't fathom how she has retained such a brightness about her after what was done to her and just think how extremely strong she must be for her parents to have failed to destroy that part of her. Just put into perspective how important the force of one's innate personality must have to be to escape from these abusive upbringings.

It was also so sad to hear how badly the state seems to have failed the children after their removal from the home. It seems they have not been well supported in their transition to independent life and they cannot access the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were donated to them after their rescue. Terribly sad that some of the adult children continue to struggle with consistent housing and food after the horrible situation they dealt with for their entire childhoods. Puts it into perspective how hard it would be for any young adult with a subpar education who's been isolated and kept from developing coping skills with real people in the real world to break free from their seemingly awful families and build their own life. The deck is stacked against them.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, thehorseofpower said:

Did anyone watch the 20/20 episode featuring interviews with two of the Turpin children last night? I can't stop thinking about Jordan, the now 21-year-old who was the one to climb out of the window and call 911 to end the abuse. She came across to me as so immensely bright and curious and very positive about life despite all that has happened to her. It was not surprising to me after hearing her talk that she was the one who escaped and made the call. I can't fathom how she has retained such a brightness about her after what was done to her and just think how extremely strong she must be for her parents to have failed to destroy that part of her. Just put into perspective how important the force of one's innate personality must have to be to escape from these abusive upbringings.

It was also so sad to hear how badly the state seems to have failed the children after their removal from the home. It seems they have not been well supported in their transition to independent life and they cannot access the hundreds of thousands of dollars that were donated to them after their rescue. Terribly sad that some of the adult children continue to struggle with consistent housing and food after the horrible situation they dealt with for their entire childhoods. Puts it into perspective how hard it would be for any young adult with a subpar education who's been isolated and kept from developing coping skills with real people in the real world to break free from their seemingly awful families and build their own life. The deck is stacked against them.

Yes. I watched in horror too. It is easy for anyone to say “just leave”. Even if possible the ability to navigate a foreign culture and environment is very difficult.  At the end the show it said that Jaycee Dugard and her foundation are going to try and help the Turpins. She had a similarly horrific story that eluded authorities. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

The episode is re-airing this afternoon if anyone still wants to catch it.

Thank you for mentioning that, I missed it last night.

1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Yes. I watched in horror too. It is easy for anyone to say “just leave”. Even if possible the ability to navigate a foreign culture and environment is very difficult.  At the end the show it said that Jaycee Dugard and her foundation are going to try and help the Turpins. She had a similarly horrific story that eluded authorities. 

I read Jaycee's book. It's tragic and haunting. I wasn't aware she'd started a foundation. I hope she's in a good place in her life, because what she went through was awful. 

• Love 4
Just now, BitterApple said:

I read Jaycee's book. It's tragic and haunting. I wasn't aware she'd started a foundation. I hope she's in a good place in her life, because what she went through was awful. 

I did google her (also read the book and watched some shows about her early on) and she does seem to be in a good place.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

I watched it and was also appalled at the lack of assistance they got after escaping. That would never happen in most other 1st world countries. There is no excuse for how they were treated.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I reread her book recently. Tragic and haunting is a perfect description. Also frequently horrifying.  Did you read her follow up book?  I think it was called “My Book of Firsts” or something like that. I have some Amazon digital credits so I might buy it soon. I’m interested to read her experiences after her rescue. 

• Useful 4

I watched the Turpin ladies last night, and just wow.  What an existence.  Their resilience is amazing.

But I'm not surprised "the system" has failed them so spectacularly.  Which old tv show had a tagline like "there are a million stories in the city, this is just one?"  How many foster kids can tell that story of mistreatment in and from the system, and release from the system unprepared and unskilled for the world?

Having said that, though, I don't understand why they can't access money that was donated to them.  Or why that money hasn't been returned to those who gave.  That seems to warrant an investigation.

• Love 12

I watched the Turpin daughters on 20/20 last night. It was fascinating! I'm so glad that the siblings have come so far. Sadly, they haven't received all the help and safety they certainly deserve. I'm so glad that their horrid parents are in prison for life. It was somewhat satisfying to see the parents in chains at their trial! Jordan has so much strength and I'm so glad she got her siblings rescued from that house of horrors. Both daughters were so expressive and thoughtful. They are smart women and I wish the best for all of the siblings.

• Love 7

I watched the 20/20 episode about the Turpins this afternoon (thank goodness for on demand).  I’m still shaking.  I cannot fathom the atrocities that those children were made to suffer at the hands of the people who claim to be their parents.

The courage of Jordan Turpin is amazing.  When I saw her on the sheriff’s body camera image, I cannot imagine that she had never spoken to someone outside her family, nor could I believe that she did not know what “medication “ was.  I admire the way she stood up to her parents and got help for her siblings.  I also had trouble believing that she did not know what her address was or that you should walk on the sidewalk (or even know what the sidewalk was).  

The fact that the state workers who were charged with the care of those children after the arrest of the so-called parents were also neglectful is even more tragic. 

I pray that by bringing the story of this family out in the open again, that they can begin to heal and receive whatever help they need to become who they are meant to be.  Thank you to everyone involved in this report, especially Diane Sawyer and the Riverside County DA.  I eagerly await a follow up report.

• Love 10

Does anyone have any experience with cutting the pole of an artificial Christmas tree?  My mom’s 9 foot one fits the room, but it doesn’t look stable and there’s so much room from the floor to the first row of branches.  It would look much better if 6-8 inches inches could be  taken off.  I suppose they are made of a resin composite……

My dad died this morning local time. I'm in the US and my parents live in Europe. We were supposed to visit in March 2020 and literally canceled that trip 2 days before flying out because Covid happened. We haven't been able to reschedule that trip due to a combination of finances(flights prices have skyrocketed), and Covid and were hoping for next spring. 

It's comforting that he's not in pain anymore but it doesn't make it easier. 

5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

My dad died this morning local time. I'm in the US and my parents live in Europe. We were supposed to visit in March 2020 and literally canceled that trip 2 days before flying out because Covid happened. We haven't been able to reschedule that trip due to a combination of finances(flights prices have skyrocketed), and Covid and were hoping for next spring. 

So sorry to hear this. COVID has been tough on a lot of plans and people. Hopefully your good memories of your dad will bring you comfort.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I am so sorry for your loss. 

• Love 3

I would like to request good thoughts and prayers also. My cousin ( J) was killed in an accident at work yesterday. I am not sure what happened and not sure if I really want to know. It's hard for me,I mean I only saw him once a year at Thanksgiving but I knew he was THERE and if I needed him he would do anything for me and now he is gone. However for his mom (R) it is devastating. This is the second child she has lost. His sister (V) was killed whern we were 13, by a drunk driver, she was a day older than me. Losing two children  to preventable  accidents is just...no words. Also, he died yesterday, today is V's birthday so she does not even have that day that does not have sorrow attached. 

11 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Sending you my deepest condolences 💐 

• Love 5