Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Absolom said:

Thanks for the link. I've seen Discovery+ promos on TV. Pretty much every single show/personality featured? I don't watch on the TV channels I already pay Xfinity to access. No way in hell am I paying five bucks a month for "special access" to that dreck. Yes, I do have a few trash TV indulgences, and generally they are on one of those channels. I'm not claiming that I take the high road as to my entertainment choices, lol. But I'm already over-subscribed to streaming services so no thanks to Discovery+.

I signed up for Disney+ in order to see Hamilton, which I've now watched at least twice and truly truly enjoy each time. So much that I just bought the soundtrack CD (and thanks to Amazon auto-rip I also have the MP3 version), and have been playing it. I'll keep Disney+ a bit longer. Because of Hamilton, and a chance to catch up on viewing the Disney animated canon. I don't have kids and have never seen most of the (IMO overhyped) Disney hits like Frozen. My plan is to remedy that gap in my cultural experience since I'm already paying the six bucks a month, lol.

Wow, to all of you up Northeast, I wish you well during the big snowstorm. Here in Denver we seem to get just a bit of snow for each of the past few days and got a little more overnight. It does add up on the ground. I'm happy to not have to get out and drive anywhere for the next few days though I'll probably get out for a walk or two.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Didn't they sign a deal with Hulu or one of the other streaming services? The rumor mill is that Kardashians were asking way more than what E! was willing to pay when they were negotiating. E! is in a sorry state as it is, although a lot of TV channels are in the process of rebranding right now. 

My point in the Claire and Justin thread is every network has their limit and every reality TV family will either have to make concessions or walk.

I do think the Kardashians made the jump because of a larger offer, that's the lure I'm referring to.   They might have been able to remain at E! at their current rate or have been asked to take somewhat less.   I suspect E! wouldn't have minded keeping them for another season.

Perhaps the network is going to all reality, or perhaps moving in a completely different direction.   I can't say, but it seems pretty clear with all of the shows they cut in a very short timespan that changes are coming.   Hard to tell if Covid has impacted the plans and the network is simply sitting in a holding pattern until they can execute the real changes planned.  

• Love 1

I will agree with everyone—shingles is NOT fun!  I had it along my shoulder blades about 30 or so years ago, after a bout with Hodgkin’s lymphoma.  Nasty and painful.  Get the vaccine!

Getting ready for the predicted snow storm—will venture out later to buy a snow shovel, as mine seems to have disappeared.  They are pretty good about shoveling sidewalks and the parking lot in my apartment complex, but you’re on your own to dig your car out.  Hopefully I can get a good spot tonight.

The worst thing about a snowstorm now would seem to be the elimination of “snow days”.  I would think that most school systems would just declare a remote learning day for all.  What a shame!  I taught in NYC for 27+ years and they were infamous for never closing in bad weather.  In all the years I taught there, there were probably less than 20 days that we closed for bad weather.  This included the 5 days we were closed for Hurricane Sandy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
44 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

The worst thing about a snowstorm now would seem to be the elimination of “snow days”.  I would think that most school systems would just declare a remote learning day for all.  What a shame!  I taught in NYC for 27+ years and they were infamous for never closing in bad weather.  In all the years I taught there, there were probably less than 20 days that we closed for bad weather.  This included the 5 days we were closed for Hurricane Sandy.

I do think "snow days" will be a thing of the past. They will be called "remote learning days in event of bad weather" and likely just built into the calendar. Same thing for extreme cold/polar vortexes etc.

• Love 5
On 12/13/2020 at 6:37 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

I am outside of Houston TX. If we receive that much snow the entire city shuts down. Of course it would be gone in two days.

The Seattle area also shuts down with "that much" snow!  It's hilly, though, with not enough snow plows.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Absolom said:

i guess my question is similar to one someone else posted a comment about. i am paying fortune for cable tv now and i wonder if i can still see counting on on tlc and bates on up and hgtv whenever i want or are they all going to the extra money package only? i may need to sign off tv ...well except for oldies . currently i am watching 'meet me in st. louis' for the forty millionth time and will watch it again next year

• Love 6

It looks like a streaming service which is in addition to the regular channels.  Some people only watch by streaming services now.  This would be a place where those people could get a Duggar fix.  It doesn't mean that they are currently planning to stop having regular channels.

• Love 4

Well that was extremely discouraging.  I went to the library to use the computer,  thinking I would have 90 minutes like they had on them before the shut down.  So I get there and find out the time has been  cut to 45 minutes and the computer I was assigned was so slow it took 10 of those minutes just loading.  It kept freezing up and then the time cut off while I was in the middle of filling out the second job application.  I'm getting really discouraged and a bit panicked. The money I'm getting from my part time job won't be enough to pay rent or my bills.  I'm not sure what to do anymore. I went ahead and made another appointment to use their computer again, for a different day, but I'm wondering if its even worth it now.  I know it is, but I've been panicking a lot. 

Sorry to dump on here. I feel like it's all I do lately. 

42 minutes ago, beckie said:

Don't be sorry...sometimes you just need to vent when things are tough. ❤ I'm sorry about the slow computer - that is very frustrating. Job applications want you to put every damn detail of your life these days so having a slow computer and little time is definitely a disadvantage.

I'm going to do a little venting myself....I just got the call I've been fearing for awhile now. My husband, who is a nurse tech at a large hospital, called to tell me he was exposed to Covid this week. 😣 He was working with a patient who's been in the hospital for awhile now and tested negative, but started having symptoms and was retested. He came back positive last night, after my husband had been taking care of him while he vomited repeatedly (so no mask) and my husband wearing only a paper mask instead of the more extensive PPE they wear with known Covid patients. This is the second time this has happened in his work area this week, where a previously negative patient has come up positive after exposing workers, and due to the length of time they've been in the hospital, it sounds like these patients have likely caught Covid IN the hospital, which is not reassuring. Just a few days ago I was feeling great because my husband was able to get his name on the list at his hospital to be vaccinated as soon as it is available, and now this. He is very upset and afraid.

Regardless of whether he escapes infection this time, he told me he definitely will not be coming home at all for Christmas (he has been staying primarily in my parents' basement apartment where he does not come into contact with anyone since the huge Covid surges started in November, and I have seen him twice since then when he went for a stretch with no known Covid patients). I was hoping he would not work with any in the lead up to Christmas so he could possibly be here for Christmas Eve and morning with our kids, but that is over now. We've been together for 14 years and have never not celebrated Christmas together. Although i am far more concerned with the Covid exposure than Christmas, it still hurts. I rarely ever cry outside of someone dying, but broke down a little in the shower a little bit ago trying to process all of this.  

Edited by thehorseofpower
1 hour ago, beckie said:

Well that was extremely discouraging.  I went to the library to use the computer,  thinking I would have 90 minutes like they had on them before the shut down.  So I get there and find out the time has been  cut to 45 minutes and the computer I was assigned was so slow it took 10 of those minutes just loading.  It kept freezing up and then the time cut off while I was in the middle of filling out the second job application.  I'm getting really discouraged and a bit panicked. The money I'm getting from my part time job won't be enough to pay rent or my bills.  I'm not sure what to do anymore. I went ahead and made another appointment to use their computer again, for a different day, but I'm wondering if its even worth it now.  I know it is, but I've been panicking a lot. 

Sounds like your library might be doing some of the same things we do--capping time of people in the library, partially to limit the number of people at any given time and then also partially to allow more time for sanitizing. Not that it makes it any less frustrating for you while you're trying to get stuff done. 😞 Hope your next appointment goes smoother! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, thehorseofpower said:

Don't be sorry...sometimes you just need to vent when things are tough. ❤ I'm sorry about the slow computer - that is very frustrating. Job applications want you to put every damn detail of your life these days so having a slow computer and little time is definitely a disadvantage.

I'm going to do a little venting myself....I just got the call I've been fearing for awhile now. My husband, who is a nurse tech at a large hospital, called to tell me he was exposed to Covid this week. 😣 He was working with a patient who's been in the hospital for awhile now and tested negative, but started having symptoms and was retested. He came back positive last night, after my husband had been taking care of him while he vomited repeatedly (so no mask) and my husband wearing only a paper mask instead of the more extensive PPE they wear with known Covid patients. This is the second time this has happened in his work area this week, where a previously negative patient has come up positive after exposing workers, and due to the length of time they've been in the hospital, it sounds like these patients have likely caught Covid IN the hospital, which is not reassuring. Just a few days ago I was feeling great because my husband was able to get his name on the list at his hospital to be vaccinated as soon as it is available, and now this. He is very upset and afraid.

Regardless of whether he escapes infection this time, he told me he definitely will not be coming home at all for Christmas (he has been staying primarily in my parents' basement apartment where he does not come into contact with anyone since the huge Covid surges started in November, and I have seen him twice since then when he went for a stretch with no known Covid patients). I was hoping he would not work with any in the lead up to Christmas so he could possibly be here for Christmas Eve and morning with our kids, but that is over now. We've been together for 14 years and have never not celebrated Christmas together. Although i am far more concerned with the Covid exposure than Christmas, it still hurts. I rarely ever cry outside of someone dying, but broke down a little in the shower a little bit ago trying to process all of this.  

Oh my. So sorry for you and your family. Sending out healthy vibes to your husband.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I do think the Kardashians made the jump because of a larger offer, that's the lure I'm referring to.   They might have been able to remain at E! at their current rate or have been asked to take somewhat less.   I suspect E! wouldn't have minded keeping them for another season.

Perhaps the network is going to all reality, or perhaps moving in a completely different direction.   I can't say, but it seems pretty clear with all of the shows they cut in a very short timespan that changes are coming.   Hard to tell if Covid has impacted the plans and the network is simply sitting in a holding pattern until they can execute the real changes planned.  

I would have to look up what was going on but everyone was speculating the Kardashians were going off TeeVee because of Kanye but the industry insiders were saying Kris and co were asking way way way too much.

It's always fascinating to watch how this goes. My mom was asking if Lip Sync Battle was canceled because she loved that show. Nope. Turns out The Paramount Network is being rebranded as a movie channel and LSB is being moved to a different channel under CBS Viacom. 

I never thought I would see the day that the Spike Network became a channel that showed movies with gay lead characters. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, beckie said:

@beckie dont be sorry. We just want to know that you are safe and stable- worse case if you dont get any more money, we dont want you in the street in the middle of winter. Worst case scenario I say you need food to eat, items to stay clean, heat/lights/water and a way to communicate with the outside world. Everything else can wait. I am not sure where you live, but many plays are staying evictions and late fees on utilities due to Covid. Please take advantage of those policies available to you right now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I had my follow-up with the doctor today...everything is moving along for the last step in Project Yank the Uterus. Just waiting for a scheduler to call me in the next 5 business days. The doctor thought he might have some openings in January, and he definitely has spots in February. Will just need to avoid month end/beginning of the next month with my job.
It'll be same-day laparoscopic surgery. I have plenty of PTO time booked, but since my job is mostly seated, I'll probably just take a few days completely off, and my boss is cool with me working a couple weeks from home so I can wear pjs and other soft things. Nothing heavier to lift than my baby granddaughter for 6 weeks. 🙂 I am thrilled to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and hoping COVID cases stay down enough that the same-day surgeries remain open. There are many worse problems in the world, but I am fed up with my ever-growing "pregnancy".

• Love 22
13 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I've been begging for the vaccine for the past several years because I had chickenpox when I was 5-6 months old. Since I'm nowhere near 50 I've been told no since they have no idea the efficacy of it of those under 50. My generation was the start of varicella vaccinations which may reduce the risk of shingles anyway. 

I was told to hug people with chickenpox. I asked where do I find these mythical people with chickenpox?

Hugging people with chicken pox isn't going to do anything to prevent shingles.  If you had varicella (chicken pox) as a baby, you should be immune to catching it from someone else.  However, the virus lives in nerve cells in the body after you've recovered from chicken pox and it is that virus, already inside you, that activates and causes shingles.  

You cannot catch shingles from someone with chicken pox but, someone with shingles can give someone chicken pox if that person touches the blisters before they crust over.  This is particularly true if the person doing the touching then puts their fingers in their mouth or has some sort of break in the skin where the virus can enter.

Shingrix has only been tested in people over 50 who are at highest risk of getting shingles compared to younger people.  The older vaccine, Zostavax, was only for those over 60.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Hugging people with chicken pox isn't going to do anything to prevent shingles.  If you had varicella (chicken pox) as a baby, you should be immune to catching it from someone else.  However, the virus lives in nerve cells in the body after you've recovered from chicken pox and it is that virus, already inside you, that activates and causes shingles.  

You cannot catch shingles from someone with chicken pox but, someone with shingles can give someone chicken pox if that person touches the blisters before they crust over.  This is particularly true if the person doing the touching then puts their fingers in their mouth or has some sort of break in the skin where the virus can enter.

Shingrix has only been tested in people over 50 who are at highest risk of getting shingles compared to younger people.  The older vaccine, Zostavax, was only for those over 60.

Yeah that's just my paranoia talking. A few of my acquaintances that were inadvertently exposed to chickenpox and had it as infants got shingles in their 20s and 30s. My mom had shingles in her 30s and has permanent damage from it.

So I'm very wary. Maybe treating it has come a long way since she had it. All I remember is she was sick for a very long time and my dad had no idea how to take care of my sister and I. 

My deal breaker if I ever have kids is that the father has to know how to brush hair and at least do a proper ponytail if it's a girl. *shudder*

• Love 6

so in the justin/claire thread conversation on why the duggars have their good friend Thomas Joseph market all their properties. latest being a house signed over to justin dec 8 2020. house purchased by JB 4/ 2020 -question is if they brag on having four duggars with a real estate license, why do they have another guy? duggs seem to keep up with fees and all, but any thoughts why they would not list the things themselves?

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

@jcbrown, my grandma lived in Franklin, just south of Indy. We usually bunked with her or my uncle in Greenwood.

I'm from Indy originally and now am in NC.  I have friends in Greenwood and Bloomington.  No going to Indy for Christmas this year 😞

• Love 4
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

so in the justin/claire thread conversation on why the duggars have their good friend Thomas Joseph market all their properties. latest being a house signed over to justin dec 8 2020. question is if they brag on having four duggs with a real estate license why do they have another guy? duggs seem to keep up with fees and all, but any thoughts why they would not list the things themselves?

I was wondering the same thing. Celebrity maybe? I don't know of a financial reason.

Maybe they're that lazy and don't want to answer the phone or are helping this dude get started?

• Love 2

thomas Joseph realtor is an older guy - bio posted proclaiming all about family and jebus.

but even the places he lists that sell, like Jase's build - he is the seller agent and another person in his office is the buyer agent. he was one or the other agent on grandma mary's house with Joe as the other

shenanigans somehow

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I was wondering the same thing. Celebrity maybe? I don't know of a financial reason.

Maybe they're that lazy and don't want to answer the phone or are helping this dude get started?

Well, they're definitely not getting the guy started. According to his bio, he was in medical equipment sales for 14 years and now has been selling real estate for 17 years. He also says his specialty is working with real estate investors. So maybe there's something like that going on between him and JB. And the house sales are just a side gig....

Still can't see why they don't have Duggar sons selling this residential stuff. Why have licenses if they're not doing anything with them? And what are they doing? 

https://www.weichert.com/search/agents/AgentProfile.aspx?site=wdc&agent=E1741

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

Your family really is sacrificing to help others and to keep others safe.  I really respect that.  It's beyond the call of duty.  I pray that he can hold on in good health until his vaccines is delivered. 

Well, I got part I of my shingles immunization.  It immediately was really sore, but, that doesn't bother me.  I pray I don't get too sick, but the important thing is that it's done, until time for part II.  

For anyone who is in need of health insurance, today is the last day for enrollment through the Marketplace.  

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Your family really is sacrificing to help others and to keep others safe.  I really respect that.  It's beyond the call of duty.  I pray that he can hold on in good health until his vaccines is delivered. 

Well, I got part I of my shingles immunization.  It immediately was really sore, but, that doesn't bother me.  I pray I don't get too sick, but the important thing is that it's done, until time for part II.  

For anyone who is in need of health insurance, today is the last day for enrollment through the Marketplace.  

Neither my husband or I got sick from our first dose of the shingles vaccine.   I wound up with a miserably sore arm the first day, like painful keeping me up at night soreness.  I only expected it would maybe be somewhat achy like some flu shots are.  However that needle seemed like it hit bone when it went in, like a jolt of pain when it struck what felt like bone.   Never experienced that with a shot before.

My husband wasn't sore that day and didn't feel any immediate pain during the injection itself.  His arm was quite sore starting the second day and stayed that way for days.   The day after the shot I had no pain.   Neither one of us was sick in any way. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Absolom said:

Is it possible to start or finish a job application on your phone?  I know it's more painful that way or by using the library wifi and your phone?

I tried doing them on my phone a few weeks ago and found it was more trouble than it was worth.  Lots of places want your resume saved certain ways that I can't do on my phone and one application kept saying there were errors on the application and I'd fix them then it would say there were more errors and show nothing so i gave up. Its easier doing it on a computer. 

4 hours ago, Zella said:

Sounds like your library might be doing some of the same things we do--capping time of people in the library, partially to limit the number of people at any given time and then also partially to allow more time for sanitizing. Not that it makes it any less frustrating for you while you're trying to get stuff done. 😞 Hope your next appointment goes smoother! 

Well it said on the library door that we had to schedule appointments to use the computers but at least four "walk-ins" were allowed to use them while i was there. That was frustrating,  too, because if they're going to let everyone in, they should just reopen. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@beckie dont be sorry. We just want to know that you are safe and stable- worse case if you dont get any more money, we dont want you in the street in the middle of winter. Worst case scenario I say you need food to eat, items to stay clean, heat/lights/water and a way to communicate with the outside world. Everything else can wait. I am not sure where you live, but many plays are staying evictions and late fees on utilities due to Covid. Please take advantage of those policies available to you right now.

I know the current policies say evictions can start in January.  As far as I know that hasn't been updated here, yet. I'd rather have all the money for rent though,  because my hubby's cousin (who is our landlord)is giving me shit about it, and reminding me at every turn that evictions start again in January.  Plus, he's telling everyone who will listen that it's my fault hubby is in jail. That I pinned hubby to the wall and he did what he did  in reaction to that. Plus he's telling everyone that i have charges against me, too, and that hubby is taking them for me.

Edited by beckie

@beckie, I know you weren’t all that happy with the domestic violence hotline people you talked to, but in my experience these sorts of services all depend on who you happen to talk to. Call them again and start using the word “eviction.” That may get you more backup. Whatever anyone tells you, always ask who else you can call. Also tell them about your technology challenges in trying to apply for jobs.

You might also call the library and tell them why you need better computer access. You’re not just watching funny cat videos, you’re trying to change your life for the better. They should be happy to help with that.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

@lookeyloo Sending huge hugs to you all. 

From me too.  😞 It won't always hurt so much. The pain will fade from so sharp and unbearable to a more manageable level. It takes time. Be patient and loving with yourself. 

Now please excuse me while I scream and vent. Some schools in our district have been doing in person learning. So because of the storm coming tomorrow, everyone is on virtual learning tomorrow. So no snow day, basically. WTF, FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT?!? WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A SNOW DAY THEN AND NOT HAVE CLASSES AT ALL??  UGH!!!! NORMALLY I WOULD BE LOOKING FORWARD TO A NICE COZY FUN LAZY DAY TOMORROW AND SO WOULD MY KIDS!! BUT NO!! FML. 

I feel much better now.  Sort of. 

11 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Do these piously arrogant and ignorant people truly believe God is pleased by their attempts to sicken and kill their fellow human beings?

They probably think that if the fellow human beings believed in the "right God" that they would be protected by the Jesus bubble. Or some shit. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

From me too.  😞 It won't always hurt so much. The pain will fade from so sharp and unbearable to a more manageable level. It takes time. Be patient and loving with yourself. 

Now please excuse me while I scream and vent. Some schools in our district have been doing in person learning. So because of the storm coming tomorrow, everyone is on virtual learning tomorrow. So no snow day, basically. WTF, FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT?!? WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A SNOW DAY THEN AND NOT HAVE CLASSES AT ALL??  UGH!!!! NORMALLY I WOULD BE LOOKING FORWARD TO A NICE COZY FUN LAZY DAY TOMORROW!! BUT NO!! FML. 

Here  they will do virtual tomorrow , and Thursday they will have an “old fashioned snow day”. The reason they are doing this is because we’re supposed to have power outages, otherwise what would be a snow day in the past, will now be virtual. They’ll decide Thursday night what the story will be Friday.

Snow days that would normally be made up, aren’t factored in this year due to a late start. They have the bare minimum of days off for holidays this year.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Do these piously arrogant and ignorant people truly believe God is pleased by their attempts to sicken and kill their fellow human beings?

I think they believe what will happen will happen or as one woman told me " God has numbered my days" . I was at work and could not respond as I wished.

4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Here  they will do virtual tomorrow , and Thursday they will have an “old fashioned snow day”. The reason they are doing this is because we’re supposed to have power outages, otherwise what would be a snow day in the past, will now be virtual. They’ll decide Thursday night what the story will be Friday.

Snow days that would normally be made up, aren’t factored in this year due to a late start. They have the bare minimum of days off for holidays this year.

We got 2 extra weeks of summer vacation before school started, and fortunately, we're having our normal 2 weeks off for the holidays. I don't know why they just don't give us the day off tomorrow. It wouldn't make a difference really. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Now please excuse me while I scream and vent. Some schools in our district have been doing in person learning. So because of the storm coming tomorrow, everyone is on virtual learning tomorrow. So no snow day, basically. WTF, FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT?!? WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A SNOW DAY THEN AND NOT HAVE CLASSES AT ALL??  UGH!!!! NORMALLY I WOULD BE LOOKING FORWARD TO A NICE COZY FUN LAZY DAY TOMORROW AND SO WOULD MY KIDS!! BUT NO!! FML. 

I totally get your frustration but there are also so many parents screaming that their kids aren't getting enough time with the teachers and that's why their kids are failing.  There is no good answer.  (My high schoolers tell me that the reason most of the kids in their classes who are failing is because they aren't logging into class at all or just aren't doing their work.  These are honors/AP classes so I have little sympathy.  I do worry a lot for the SPED kids and ESL.  Elementary/middle is a completely different conversation.)

Edited by Bewitched
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, beckie said:

I know the current policies say evictions can start in January.  As far as I know that hasn't been updated here, yet. I'd rather have all the money for rent though,  because my hubby's cousin (who is our landlord)is giving me shit about it, and reminding me at every turn that evictions start again in January.  Plus, he's telling everyone who will listen that it's my fault hubby is in jail. That I pinned hubby to the wall and he did what he did  in reaction to that. Plus he's telling everyone that i have charges against me, too, and that hubby is taking them for me.

I don't know all the nuances of your situation but I wanted to let you know that I highly doubt you can be evicted in your state for being one month late with the rent, and additionally many judges refuse to issue evictions when the temp is below freezing. There are resources available to you. I dont know if continuing to rent from hubby's cousin is the best situation for you.

Just making sure your utilities are on and you can eat tomorrow.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

I totally get your frustration but there are also so many parents screaming that their kids aren't getting enough time with the teachers and that's why their kids are failing.  There is no good answer.  (My high schoolers tell me that the reason most of the kids in their classes who are failing is because they aren't logging into class at all or just aren't doing their work.  These are honors/AP classes so I have little sympathy.  I do worry a lot for the SPED kids and ESL.  Elementary/middle is a completely different conversation.)

It's hard for everyone. The only answer is to get back to in person learning asap. But I fear that when that does happen, snow days will be a thing of the past. They'll be replaced with "virtual learning days" instead. I teach kinder, and I know the kids probably aren't learning as much as they should because of the situation. I know my kids aren't doing as well as they should.  I try and make up the difference, but not everyone can. I worry about the SPED kids too. They're not getting the help like they need. As for older, high school kids that aren't logging in, I have no sympathy. They're old enough to know better. Ditching school, just in a different way. Obviously kids with internet issues or something is a different story. 

• Love 4

A superintendent of a school district, I think in VA, wrote a sweet letter to the parents and students stating they were getting a snow day, because right now everyone just needs to have fun and build a snowman.

That man is a hero!

• Love 19
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

A superintendent of a school district, I think in VA, wrote a sweet letter to the parents and students stating they were getting a snow day, because right now everyone just needs to have fun and build a snowman.

That man is a hero!

He is! I wish ours had the same way of thinking. 

• Love 3

@beckie, if you aren't going to be able to make rent, think about contacting your landlord and asking to work something out -- a deferral, a payment plan, etc. I would also tell the landlord that you're working but can't get enough hours because of the pandemic/restrictions, that you're trying to get a second job to close that gap but haven't been able to get anything yet, that you would like to pay something toward the month but you can't pay it all on time for January, etc. If you're comfortable with it, you might even say that you're having a family crisis and that your husband has had to move out for the foreseeable.

The only thing is that I wouldn't say that your husband is in jail specifically, because as soon as you mention any legal trouble, some landlords will assume you're troublemakers and be ready to get you out of the building for it.

I used to be a property manager and now I work for a firm in commercial real estate (as an accountant). Landlords can be very out of touch, but things are very volatile right now, it's expensive to evict or even get antagonistic with tenants in the best of times, and at the end of the day, they're human beings, too. You definitely have a better shot of them working with you if you communicate with them and are reasonable/realistic and honest. In fact, unless they;re gunning to get you out for some other reason already, I think it's probably 85/15 that they'll try to work out some sort of payment plan with you.

Good luck, I'm sorry you're under so much stress.

• Love 8

Like so many here, @lookeyloo, I’m holding out a hand to you, Mr. Lookeyloo, and sweet son-in-law.  I imagine that you want time to stop because each day, unbearably, takes sweet son a little further away from you.  I wish you could stop the days, or reverse them and bring him back.  I’m so sorry that you can’t. 

• Love 16