Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

So I had the Shingles shot years ago. Do I now need to get the new two shot one?

my nurse told me that yes, those that had the previous vaccine, needed to update it to the new one. i dont know why, tho. 

• Love 2

I’ve read the new shingles vaccine is much more effective than the old one and that applies to those who have had the old vaccine AND those who have actually had shingles, so, I’m looking forward to getting second dose.  I had severe soreness. Wish I had applied ice.  A little better today.  I didn’t realize that I have to wait 30 days to get Covid vaccine.....probably won’t get the chance before 3O days  anyway though.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

On 12/15/2020 at 6:30 PM, doodlebug said:

Just because God, being omniscient, knows how long we're each going to live, doesn't mean that we, as Christians, are entitled to foolishly risk our lives since it's all preordained. 

"We"?

I made a mistake.  I thought the box on the house was the fuze box because I couldn't see it. Then I figured out it wasn't.  It is, however, in the basement,  which is only accessible through the landlord's place. So when he wakes up, or whatever,  he can go flip the breaker. 

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, beckie said:

I made a mistake.  I thought the box on the house was the fuze box because I couldn't see it. Then I figured out it wasn't.  It is, however, in the basement,  which is only accessible through the landlord's place. So when he wakes up, or whatever,  he can go flip the breaker. 

You've mentioned that your landlord is your cousin (or your husband's cousin?) and that he is being not too nice to you right now.  Do you think he threw the fuse switch on purpose to mess with you?

3 hours ago, beckie said:

Is it possible to lose power in only part of your house? I live on the upper floor of a duplex,  and i noticed today that the light in the stairwell wasn't coming on. No big deal, i thought maybe the bulb was burnt out. But then, when i got inside and tried to turn on my TV, i noticed that it wouldn't come on either.  Then I noticed everything on that side of the room is completely kaput.  This wall backs to the stairwell.  The electricity in the rest of the room and house are still on.

One of the ways I've been coping with the situation I'm in, is what I'm calling controlled noise.  That is, noise from the tv, something I like to watch but am not necessarily watching. Now that it's not coming on, I'm getting tense. And watching YouTube or other noisy stuff on my phone isn't cutting it.

Yes absolutely. (I have a two flat myself) Occasionally the electricity along the south wall of my kitchen goes out. I just have to go down to the basement and flip the circuit breaker for that section and it’s fine. Do you know where your fuse box is? If the sections are labeled it should be easy to fix. If they aren’t just look for the switch that isn’t quite flush, and flip that. 

1 hour ago, louannems said:

You've mentioned that your landlord is your cousin (or your husband's cousin?) and that he is being not too nice to you right now.  Do you think he threw the fuse switch on purpose to mess with you?

Geez, I hope not. I'm not sure how the fuses work in the house,  but I think,  although I'm not sure, that this particular fuse would mess with him, too because of the wall it's on. I could be wrong,  though.

• Love 1

So, do you guys remember my Thanksgiving rant about my across the street neighbors who got together with 25, ahem, “immediate” family members? Well, unfortunately, guess who is down for the count with COVID? The husband, wife and adult son. It pisses me off because it could have been somewhat avoided. I don’t know if anyone else in that gathering has been affected; I am Facebook friends with most of them and there has been radio silence. I am really pissed off. 

1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

So, do you guys remember my Thanksgiving rant about my across the street neighbors who got together with 25, ahem, “immediate” family members? Well, unfortunately, guess who is down for the count with COVID? The husband, wife and adult son. It pisses me off because it could have been somewhat avoided. I don’t know if anyone else in that gathering has been affected; I am Facebook friends with most of them and there has been radio silence. I am really pissed off. 

I would love to asks folks like this, how many of the 3000 US citizens who are dying each day, thought it would happen to them?

• Love 6

Happy Sunday! The good news is that it's a nice (if cold) day outdoors and I'm going out to get some fresh air. 

I've just replaced my old computers (Macs). I got a new desktop and a laptop too; the entry level ones, lol. That's been good news, and has been a nice project this week. I decided to go ahead and get a new laptop [the one I had was 7 years old] because someday I hope to get out of the house again and even travel, lol. And even now, it's nice. I spend 8 to 10 hours a day in my home office, M-F, working. I'm happy to have that, but it's nice to leave the room and be somewhere else when I'm not on that clock. I've been using my old laptop at the dining room table to do my fun online stuff, including this forum, and I now have the new one here (entry level MacBook Air). 

The potentially bad news: the old MacBook Pro that I bought used a few years ago, from a local shop that's been around for years? May turn out to have been stolen. The shop repairs, buys, and sells Macs and as I said has been there for years. I've done business with them for service, updates, etc., and the MacBook Pro was on display in their shop along with their other used macs for sale. I've owned it for 2.5 years and used it mostly as a desktop unit. I've replaced it with a new Mac mini (not a laptop). I got a good offer for it from a company out of state that buys and sells used Macs.

When I went to erase the MacBook Pro's hard drive and reinstall the operating system so I could ship it to them? I hit a screen that blocked the install. I followed up with the company whose name appeared on that screen, and I'm waiting to hear from them again. The laptop was apparently enrolled by the company that first owned it, in a device enrollment program operated by Apple for enterprise customers. The enrollment is really embedded in the computer's innards in some way that this non techie couldn't even comprehend if I tried. The company may have sold the laptop and forgotten to un-enroll it - or, the laptop may have been stolen. I of course have sent the company my receipt from the local shop and told them I will fully cooperate if the laptop was stolen from them. Aargh. I'd usually be more stressed over this than I am. I suppose this year has just put sh*t like this in perspective. It's stuff. It's not people, or health, or anything vital. I was actually able to restore the laptop via a Time Machine backup, so if I wanted to I could use it. But, as I said, I've replaced it and I don't need it. Ain't life fun, kids?

• Love 7

Sunday good "news": Kicking off the holiday baking today! Got an oven thermometer last night to make sure the new oven is actually correct. And even got a candy/frying thermometer to measure the temp of the chocolate when making the truffles. We may not be having anyone over for the holiday, but it doesn't mean I'm not making everything I love. Mr. Toast has his standing rib roast in the fridge and he's pseudo-dry aging it, following Alton Brown's instructions. We've done it for years and it is delicious. 

• Love 14

Good news Sunday! I don’t really have any news, but this weekend has been really fun — I haven’t done anything in particular, but have just been enjoying spending time with my boyfriend. And I’ll be able to see him more than usual this week, since we’re spending Christmas together.

Otherwise, I’m actually feeling pretty overwhelmed. I have another exam on the 28th, my law school applications have been languishing on the back burner, and I STILL haven’t done my Christmas shopping. 😳 It’s all very small potatoes, but I’m still feeling a lot of pressure.

• Love 10
On 12/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Remember how I said I was getting tons of ads for engagement rings and wedding gowns? This is the ring they are trying to sell me, which is scary just how good the algorithm is because I LOVE IT!!

43333E68-3DC0-4AA1-AEA7-956E548C972F.png

I was getting popups from this company over the summer. There was an anniversary band that was beautiful & caught my eye.  I guess I forgot about it when the pop ups stopped.  Maybe Santa remembered but I doubt it. 

My good news for Sunday is my sister & brother-in-law's Covid tests both came back negative.  They had been to a 20 person allowed, mask wearing family funeral last weekend & one of my BILs sisters (who was at the funeral)tested positive even tho she was asymptomatic.  She is a nurse & evidently was tested for Covid before getting vaccine.  (Not sure how that worked.)  She did get the vaccine but got a call the next dayo telling her she was positive.  Her husband tested negative & luckily they have a vacation home so they can separate from each other for 10 days. Not sure what their Christmas plans were but they will definetly be celebrating by themselves.  She is an ADHD type of person & can barely sit still so hopefully she won't drive herself crazy. Her husband did drop off some "essentials" incl a case of wine so I think she'll be OK. 

I hope my sister has learned from this. She was one that didn't believe it was as serious as it was when Covid started. "Its just like having a bad cold."  By the summer she finally realized it is serious but still went out with friends or went to family gatherings.  She does wear masks as required  & follows the rules for the number of people allowed at gatherings but I think she could have been more careful & stayed at home more than she did. I think she realizes now how easily Covid can be passed unknowingly from one person to another.  There are so many places her SIL could have picked it up & not just from being at the funeral. I'm high risk so we have stayed away from one another from almost the beginning.   We had already decided to do our own thing for Christmas  so luckily no plans had to be redone.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 13

Random curiosity...Has anyone else been having Covid-related dreams/nightmares these days? I am not all that prone to recurring dreams, or ones which directly connect to something going on in real life, but last night had the fourth very similar dream within maybe the last two months where I was in some situation where I did not anticipate carefully enough, and suddenly found myself trapped in a confined space, shoulder-to-shoulder in a huge crowd of people, none of them wearing masks, and I couldn't get my mask to even stay on because it kept slipping, and my hands were all but pinned at my sides from all the people pushing to get by. And the dreams are so real - I get so panicked in them, and so angry with myself for being stupid enough not to realize that wherever I was going, there were apt to be crowds. In one dream it was an airport, in another, a convention, and another couple, including the one I had last night, I had to walk home from somewhere, but got lost and ended up having to cut through a theme park or such like. So happy to wake up and realize I had not basically just doomed myself to getting Covid.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Random curiosity...Has anyone else been having Covid-related dreams/nightmares these days? I am not all that prone to recurring dreams, or ones which directly connect to something going on in real life, but last night had the fourth very similar dream within maybe the last two months where I was in some situation where I did not anticipate carefully enough, and suddenly found myself trapped in a confined space, shoulder-to-shoulder in a huge crowd of people, none of them wearing masks, and I couldn't get my mask to even stay on because it kept slipping, and my hands were all but pinned at my sides from all the people pushing to get by. And the dreams are so real - I get so panicked in them, and so angry with myself for being stupid enough not to realize that wherever I was going, there were apt to be crowds. In one dream it was an airport, in another, a convention, and another couple, including the one I had last night, I had to walk home from somewhere, but got lost and ended up having to cut through a theme park or such like. So happy to wake up and realize I had not basically just doomed myself to getting Covid.

I am sorry. Dreams can feel SO SO SO REAL. The emotional centers in your brain get triggered and when you wake up you logically know it was just a dream but you feel all of the emotions as if it actually happened. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I've had a couple covid dreams and one vaccine dream. I typically don't remember dreams, with the exception of after a nap, so maybe I've had more.

None of my dreams have been scary, but they did involve being near unmasked folks, mostly co-workers. I'm thinking this is because my team had grown so big we were in the middle of acquiring more office space before covid hit, and we were squished into tight quarters.

Once I was awake, I remember wondering why I wasn't feeling more concerned in my dream that unmasked folks we in my presence.

• Love 6

I haven't had Covid nightmares but I have been having a lot of nightmares all of the sudden lately. And they involve being trapped in a situation where I know something is going to go wrong, but I can't stop it and I wake up right before the plane crashes, the boat flips, the police close in, etc. It's exhausting and I wish I could pinpoint what my brain is trying to tell me. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I haven't had Covid nightmares but I have been having a lot of nightmares all of the sudden lately. And they involve being trapped in a situation where I know something is going to go wrong, but I can't stop it and I wake up right before the plane crashes, the boat flips, the police close in, etc. It's exhausting and I wish I could pinpoint what my brain is trying to tell me. 

From the way I read your post, it could very well be COVID related.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

From the way I read your post, it could very well be COVID related.

Eh, maybe. But I have had Covid specific nightmares and they were very similar to Jynnan Tonnix's--I was stuck in a big crowd, no one was wearing a mask, people were breathing and talking towards me, etc. Last night one of my dreams involved Kate Middleton asking me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding, which required wearing a bronzy/peachy colored dress, and she kept asking me to help her run away. My brain is a fun place, lol!

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

happy sunday, friends. nothing much going on here.  staying home and away from people for the most part. its a beautiful day today so i took a solo drive around town and stopped by one almost empty store for a gift. other than that, i have a small turkey breast ready to go in the oven soon and uno cards on the table.  i miss my texas grands so much!

• Love 11

My good news Sunday is that our deer family paid us a visit. It’s actually 3 does. 2 big ones and 1 small one. One of the big ones stopped and watched me through the window for a few minutes. I swear it looked like she was smiling.  We just moved to our little house on the edge of the woods last year so having deer and other wildlife so close is still a novelty.  The deer are my favorites and always make me smile. I haven’t seen them in a few weeks so this made my day. 

• Love 15

Thanks for checking in @lookeyloo. Your strength and love are amazing!

I was thinking about your quilting room and Sweet Son. Maybe when you're ready you could make quilt using some of his clothing. Maybe even add in yours, your husband's, other son's and SIL's.

Hugs to you and yours.

• Love 15

If we are still doing happy things. I thought I'd throw this song in here. Don't know who's seen it before - I guess it's gone kinda viral, but I've listened to it SOOO many times since I first came across it about a week or so ago. What a great future I think this girl might have, and I so hope that she can keep her head on straight if this puts her in the spotlight. Just love everything about it. She's a 15 year old from PA, who wrote this song (with some collaboration with her father, who produced the video). It's just perfect for this year.

Sorry if the copy from part of this page keeps popping up underneath this. I keep trying to delete it, but it comes back. Maybe if I replace it with a bit of text it will go away.

image.png

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 8
On 12/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve read the new shingles vaccine is much more effective than the old one and that applies to those who have had the old vaccine AND those who have actually had shingles, so, I’m looking forward to getting second dose.  I had severe soreness. Wish I had applied ice.  A little better today.  I didn’t realize that I have to wait 30 days to get Covid vaccine.....probably won’t get the chance before 3O days  anyway though.  

Yep. that's the reason that most people should get Shingrix, it is a more effective vaccine than the original shingles vaccine, Zostavax.. I've had Zostavax and have been lazy about getting Shingrix for no good reason, I'm one ot those lucky people who has never had a significant reaction to a vaccine.  Now I need to wait until I can get the Covid vaccine beforeI can catch up.

For those who remember when polio vaccine was new, something similar occurred.  The original polio vaccine, developed by Jonas Salk, was an injection and did not contain live virus.  It was a very good vaccine.  A few years later, Albert Sabin developed another polio vaccine.  It contained attenuated (weakened) polio virus and had the advantage of being an oral vaccine, usually given in a sugar cube.  It was also a much more effective vaccine than the original which is why it was recommended that everyone who got the Salk vaccine also be given the Sabin when it was developed.  Those of us who were kids in the early 60's remember the public vaccination program for kids where we went to the local elementary school and a nurse gave us our sugar cube in the cafeteria.  I remember my dad taking me and my sisters.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

@doodlebug: I remember my parents taking us to the local high school on a Sunday afternoon to get our sugar cube Sabin vaccine.  I recall waiting on line in the nurse’s office with about a hundred other kids n a Sunday afternoon.  I was probably about 10.

@lookeyloo:  when you feel ready, you might want to make a quilt out of some of Sweet Son’s clothes.  If he had tshirts from a favorite vacation spot or sports team, they might make a good one.  You could wrap yourself in it....  I don’t know if he wore dress shirts or neckties, but they work, too.  You could also make a pillow cover with a tshirt front and denim on the back....  

I hope I didn’t cause any undue sorrow for you by suggesting this.  It might be something you could think about down the road...

Hugs and more hugs.....

• Love 8

I feel like I missed something in childhood.  We never had any immunizations at school.  All of mine were at the doctor's office. I remember the sugar cubes.  I didn't believe my mother that it wasn't going to be yet another shot.  

• Love 3

We had TB tests where they prick your arm to see if you get a reaction, and some other health tests (hearing and eyesight, I think?) in school, but no vaccines that I remember. This would have been the 90s-2000s. I don’t remember being vaccinated against polio, but I honestly don’t remember any of the vaccinations I had as a child. The only one I remember very clearly at all is the gardasil one against cervical cancer, which I got at 21. That vaccine hurt going in, you could feel it in your vein! But I didn’t have a strong reaction after, and it was totally worth it of course.

• Useful 1
On 12/6/2020 at 9:00 AM, Jeeves said:

Happy Sunday to all! I'm having a little "checking my tech" phase. Minus the deets, the bottom line is that I've scooped up the 3 now-extraneous iPods I've accumulated over the last 15 years, charged them, researched them. And I'm going to list at least one of them for sale on ebay. Maybe two. The third one wouldn't bring enough to justify the hassle and fees, so I'll probably donate it to a charity shop. Yes, I've either wiped/reset them, or I will before they go out the door.

For anyone who's looking to donate (or toss) cellphones, there are domestic violence organizations that will take them and program them so they can be used for 911 calls (no phone plan needed).

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

The only vaccine from childhood that I remember is the smallpox vaccine. It was given in the upper arm, scabbed up and left a scar. We had to have it before entering school.

I remember playing with my cousins the summer before kindergarten. One cousin was brushing my hair and knocked the scab off. The doctor had said to leave the scab alone and let if fall off by itself. I was terrified to tell my mom because I thought I would have to get another shot.

I don't remember the polio sugar cube, but I believe a song writer for Mary Poppins was inspired to write  Spoonful of Sugar after his son came home from school after taking it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

For anyone who's looking to donate (or toss) cellphones, there are domestic violence organizations that will take them and program them so they can be used for 911 calls (no phone plan needed).

That's a good reminder about cellphones. I have now donated the iPods that I mentioned in that post you quoted, to a charity shop. (They aren't phones.)

6 hours ago, Nysha said:

My good news for Sunday is I slept for 9 hours last night! I have had insomnia since my mom passed last January. My doctor put me on Trazodone and upped the dosage 3 months ago. It will put me to sleep, but not keep me asleep. It's been a rough 11 months, but I can feel my depression slowly lifting. 

@Nysha, I've had some bouts of pretty bad depression in my life, and my heart goes out to you. I'm fighting it some myself, right now. It's such an energy-sucker and then it can wreck your sleep too which is so extra nasty. I'm glad you got a good long sleep last night!

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

That's a good reminder about cellphones. I have now donated the iPods that I mentioned in that post you quoted, to a charity shop. (They aren't phones.)

Sorry about the misunderstanding - I see a reference to a device beginning with "i" and my sad little brain just leaps to phone!

• LOL 5

Boy this talk of childhood vaccines has brought back memories for me & add me to the group getting the vaccines in a different place other than a doctor's office.  I remember getting an injection in school.  They lined us up in the gym/cafeteria.  For some reason I'm thinking it was circa 1972 when I was in the 4th or 5th grade, around 10 years old.  I remember it was given by a gun-type injector & it seemed huge at the time. The only excitement  was one girl's arm wouldn't stop bleeding.  I don't remember what they did with her re: the bleeding - this was before our old elem. school had an official health room. All we had was a desk outside the school office loaded with basics like band-aids & was manned by volunteer moms. They called your mom or dad to come get you if the they couldn't handle things. I don't know remember how they handled medicine distribution. There was no privacy- the area was located in the main hall/area of the school so everyone passed by it.  Boy things have changed since then.  We were so happy to get a new health room when our new school opened a year or two later.  It had 2 cots to lay down on and a separate bathroom.  This may have been when they got school nurses to man the room. 

I remember getting the sugar cube at a local health center. My mom took me & my sister.   I don't remember when this was but it was on a Sunday. (Was Sunday the universal day of distribution?)  My sister is 5 years older than me & I'm not sure if she got it as well but I'm thinking she did.  I also remember stopping at a store afterwards to get a treat or two. 

@lookeyloo So glad to hear from you & sharing how you & your family are handling things.  I'm sure Christmas will be tough but we are all here for you.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Brookside said:

Sorry about the misunderstanding - I see a reference to a device beginning with "i" and my sad little brain just leaps to phone!

You're not the only one with a jumpy brain! When I was typing my posts about the iPods, my brain and fingers kept wanting to write "iPads!"

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 2

I recall getting the sugar cubes for polio in the school gym around 1962. I’ve got a small pox vaccine scar on my arm but no memory of when or where. It does remind me of the scene in Outlander book where a character recognized another time traveler by their small pox scar!

Happy Christmas week to all, my good news is my 2 adult children are here. We haven’t seen them since last Christmas and they are here until about January 2.

• Love 12

I remember lining up in the cafeteria in the first grade (1969) and getting a shot in each arm and a sugar cube that was promised "if I was good". I have no idea what the shots or sugar cube were for, nor do I have a small pox scar. 

Last night's sleep was very restful and lasted from 11 to 5. My best friend & downstairs neighbor came up this morning and helped me clean my living room. It was so cluttered and stressful that I could not get started. It took us about an hour to get it in order. I'm not a hoarder, but when I get depressed I just don't care enough to throw things out. I don't go back to work until January 4 and there will be a great purge by that time.

• Love 16

Is there some statement that says you can’t get covid-19 vaccine within  certain number of days of Shingrix vaccine?  I found this pre-Covid vaccine questionnaire and it doesn’t mention if you have recently gotten other vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/downloads/pre-vaccination-screening-form.pdf

Ok. If you go to the link provided on form for more info, it says that you should wait 14 days between covid 19 vaccine and any other vaccine.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

I am not ashamed to say $544 is an average price for a good pair of boots, but they will last a lifetime. Cheaper ones won’t fall apart quickly but a good pair of boots is an investment. And they are SOOO comfortable. 

My family will pay a couple of hundred for work boots. And I get it, but I am a cheap skate with 10W feet who prefers to be barefoot, so I basically live in cheap sneakers and a pair of women's combat boots I got from JC Penney's when I am forced to be shoed. I know I should buy better-quality shoes, but I never get around to it. 

What boot brands do you recommend?

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

I am not ashamed to say $544 is an average price for a good pair of boots, but they will last a lifetime. Cheaper ones won’t fall apart quickly but a good pair of boots is an investment. And they are SOOO comfortable. 

My husband was a farmer when we got married and the first purchase we made together was a good pair of steel-toed work boots for me. In 1983 they cost about $200 which is about $522 today. At that time I was buying my shoes for less than $10 at Kmart, with the occasional Nike tennis shoe for $20-25. I donated them to the Goodwill 20 years later and they were still in great shape. 

• Love 6