Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Zella said:

My family will pay a couple of hundred for work boots. And I get it, but I am a cheap skate with 10W feet who prefers to be barefoot, so I basically live in cheap sneakers and a pair of women's combat boots I got from JC Penney's when I am forced to be shoed. I know I should buy better-quality shoes, but I never get around to it. 

What boot brands do you recommend?

I am a Lucchese girl all the way, the goat hide is very affordable and my almost daily boot. 

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

My family will pay a couple of hundred for work boots. And I get it, but I am a cheap skate with 10W feet who prefers to be barefoot, so I basically live in cheap sneakers and a pair of women's combat boots I got from JC Penney's when I am forced to be shoed. I know I should buy better-quality shoes, but I never get around to it. 

What boot brands do you recommend?

As another 10W who usually sizes up to an 11M, I stay away from faux leather.   I need the stretch leather has.  I have boots from a couple of brands like Clarks, Jack Rogers, Baretraps, and new to me brand Sole Society.   I also have high arches and thick calves so finding boots can be a problem.   I really want a pair of Frye boots, but balk at $350.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Nysha said:

My husband was a farmer when we got married and the first purchase we made together was a good pair of steel-toed work boots for me. In 1983 they cost about $200 which is about $522 today. At that time I was buying my shoes for less than $10 at Kmart, with the occasional Nike tennis shoe for $20-25. I donated them to the Goodwill 20 years later and they were still in great shape. 

Agreed there! They will last, several of mine are 10-20yrs old and you wouldn’t be able to pick which ones are old/newer.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

I am a Lucchese girl all the way, the goat hide is very affordable and my almost daily boot. 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

As another 10W who usually sizes up to an 11M, I stay away from faux leather.   I need the stretch leather has.  I have boots from a couple of brands like Clarks, Jack Rogers, Baretraps, and new to me brand Sole Society.   I also have high arches and thick calves so finding boots can be a problem.   I really want a pair of Frye boots, but balk at $350.

Thanks! Also, I think we are foot twins. I also have a high arch and thick calves. My calves are bigger than most men's biceps. LOL I also have a narrow heel, which makes for some weirdness for the width I need for the rest of my foot. 

• Love 4
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't really wear any sort of boots, but do have a couple of pairs of booties that I wear during the winter. And I find anything by Bare Traps SOOO comfortable! I have some of their sandals for the summer as well. I wear about a 9W, but sometimes size up to 9 1/2 or 10 if the wides are a bit too wide but I still need a bit of extra space. Plus, my feet are really flat.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Thank you!

Thanks! Also, I think we are foot twins. I also have a high arch and thick calves. My calves are bigger than most men's biceps. LOL I also have a narrow heel, which makes for some weirdness for the width I need for the rest of my foot. 

For both of you, from another thick calf gal... they can be stretched, anyone who does boot repair/sole repair can stretch most boot shafts (unless they are tightly and intricately stitched). 
all of my boots leave the store and go to my boot guy for a couple weeks for a good stretch and they never “shrink” but you can buy boot trees to keep the shape when you do not wear them daily or just general upkeep. 

• Useful 3
1 minute ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

For both of you, from another thick calf gal... they can be stretched, anyone who does boot repair/sole repair can stretch most boot shafts (unless they are tightly and intricately stitched). 
all of my boots leave the store and go to my boot guy for a couple weeks for a good stretch and they never “shrink” but you can buy boot trees to keep the shape when you do not wear them daily or just general upkeep. 

I'll have to remember that tip, thanks.  My only pair of knee length boots are wide calf ones from Clarks.  They have enough stretch with some elastic woven into the leather.   I have also had them long enough that the leather has stretched to fit my calves.

• Love 2

About cowboy boots. My dad and his sibs grew up on an Oklahoma farm back in the 1920's and 1930's. Cowboy boots go way back - far and deep - in my family. My late uncle (dad's brother) joined the Army in WWII and was shipped off to England. He came out of the war with no physical injuries - and married to a young woman from Birmingham [England] (it lasted 60+ years until she passed away). They lived in Texas and eventually here in Colorado.

Trips back to England were rare for the young couple, but sometime in the early 50s they were able to go back and visit her family. My uncle was wearing his good shiny cowboy boots when they went out to a shop or something. Someone actually asked my aunt (in a confidential aside) if he had something wrong with his feet, because they'd never seen anything like those boots and thought maybe they were some kind of specialty medical footwear! One of those funny stories that becomes part of the family lore . . . 

@Nysha - I wish I had someone to come help me straighten up, and I'm glad you got that room done. One sign for me that I'm fighting the black dog, is how many surfaces in my condo get cluttered up that I just quit even seeing. (To be fair, it's partly depression and partly just me being disorganized.) Yesterday I *finally* got the coffee table and the dining room table de-cluttered. One step at a time . . . 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, ozziemom said:

I recall getting the sugar cubes for polio in the school gym around 1962. I’ve got a small pox vaccine scar on my arm but no memory of when or where. It does remind me of the scene in Outlander book where a character recognized another time traveler by their small pox scar!

Happy Christmas week to all, my good news is my 2 adult children are here. We haven’t seen them since last Christmas and they are here until about January 2.

The last case of smallpox seen in the US was in 1949 which is why the US stopped recommending smallpox vaccines for kids back in the late 60's-early 70's because smallpox has been eradicated except in the lab.  It is now an historical disease, because of vaccination.  My youngest sister was born in 1972 and didn't get one, my next youngest sister was born in 1963 and she did.  So, sometime between 1963 and 1972, smallpox was no longer a threat. and pediatricians stopped giving it out in the US.  I believe it was around for a while longer in developing nations.  The last 2 reported cases of smallpox occurred in England in 1978.  One of the victims was a medical photographer who caught it at a medical school where she was working where she somehow came in contact with the virus in a research lab setting. She was the last person known to have died from the infection.

The Sabin oral vaccine was introduced in 1961 and, in late 1961 into 1962, there was a federal program to vaccinate kids who were no longer infants and who had received the earlier Salk vaccine as babies.  The program was run through local schools and took place on Sundays when the schools were otherwise not in use.  That is why so many of us who were small kids at that time remember going to a local school and waiting in line for our sugar cube on a Sunday.  My dad took us after church.

When the COVID vaccine becomes widely available to the general public, probably around April or so, we may well see similar public vaccination sites to allow as many people as possible to be immunized as efficiently as possible.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4

Thanks for the vaccine information, @doodlebug. I'm a Baby Boomer, and one of my early memories as a very young child, is seeing the scar on my upper left arm from the smallpox vaccination. I have no memory of the vaccination itself.

Thanks again to @Absolom for the post the other day that nudged me off dead center, into saving some money on TV. I signed up for a 14 day free trial of YouTube TV. I like it. I added an amplified indoor antenna to my living room TV and can get all the over-the-air channels I want except for a couple but I can manage. (I get ALL the OTA channels on my bedroom TV, through an antenna as well.) Our condo building's rooftop antenna system isn't working as well as it used to and I'd rather not be at the mercy of an antenna that's only adjusted by someone when I put in a work request (and hope he adjusts it correctly).

I just finished a phone call with Xfinity; I've dropped TV from my internet/phone package and am saving $120 a month. That includes a bump in internet speed; my old plan had me at a speed they don't offer anymore so it was either go up or down, so I chose up. Even with the $65 that YouTube TV costs, I'm coming out ahead. Yay! Just need to drop the cable box and remote off at the Xfinity store. I'm a happy camper.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Due to my suffering with high arches, plantar fasciitis and loss of fat on bottom of feet, I   HAVE to be very careful with my footwear.  For years, I have worn almost exclusively Vionic brand shoes.  Most are around $100.00, but some of the boots are much more.  These shoes keep me pretty pain free, which is a miracle.  I even wear them around the house.   

I want these:

https://www.vionicshoes.com/ruth-chukka-boot.html?76=801

• Love 5
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Anyone remember Frye Boots?

Oh yeah. As a hot 29 year old in the late 70's I had a sweet pair of high Frye boots. Lovely leather. Wore them for years. **Said the no longer hot, no longer 29 year old, with a reminiscent sigh.**

• LOL 6
44 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Hi all.  Does anyone have a simple, tried-and-true sugar cookie recipe they'd be willing to share?  I am a chocolate chip/pecan cookie expert, but can't master a darn sugar cookie.  Grrrr.....

Are you looking for a sugar cookie that you roll out and use cookie cutters, or a drop cookie?

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is there some statement that says you can’t get covid-19 vaccine within  certain number of days of Shingrix vaccine?  I found this pre-Covid vaccine questionnaire and it doesn’t mention if you have recently gotten other vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/downloads/pre-vaccination-screening-form.pdf

Ok. If you go to the link provided on form for more info, it says that you should wait 14 days between covid 19 vaccine and any other vaccine.  

i dont know -- that information was given to me orally from the nurse that gave me the shingrex vaccine.  she said no other vaccines within 30 days after this one for shingles. 

24 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i dont know -- that information was given to me orally from the nurse that gave me the shingrex vaccine.  she said no other vaccines within 30 days after this one for shingles. 

Ok. I’m going to continue to seek a source for where she might have gotten that info.  I’ll check with my doctor too. 

This is  a really good article. Man, can I relate.  
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavirus-lockdown-public-health-safety_n_5fd7ba26c5b6218b42eb59e2

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I wonder why that advice.  The CDC says you can get Shingrex and flu or pneumonia vaccine on the same visit so waiting isn't required for all vaccines.

Right, but apparently, they are advising to wait 14 days for covid-19 vaccine and any other on this CDC site.  
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fvaccines%2Fcovid-19%2Finfo-by-product%2Fpfizer%2Fclinical-considerations.html

See the part that starts with Coadministration.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right, but apparently, they are advising to wait 14 days for covid-19 vaccine and any other on this CDC site.  
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fvaccines%2Fcovid-19%2Finfo-by-product%2Fpfizer%2Fclinical-considerations.html

See the part that starts with Coadministration.

No big deal since I am not a front-liner or a senior. I doubt I'll get the vaccination before late January, if even then. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I’m not sure when I’ll get the chance to get covid vaccine either, but I want to be ready if I get the call.  Due to my diabetes, I’m not sure.   

Those cookies sound pretty good, but I’m trying to keep the sweets down this year.  I’m considering making some prime rib! Along with roasted veggies and potatoes. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I wonder why that advice.  The CDC says you can get Shingrex and flu or pneumonia vaccine on the same visit so waiting isn't required for all vaccines.

I got my first shingrex vaccine and my flu vaccine at the same time. One in my right arm and the other in the left.

• Love 2

A couple of weeks ago my mother went to her primary and I didn’t go in with her. My dad and I waited in the car.  I was shocked and dismayed when she came out and said that they gave her 3 vaccines at once!  She’s very sensitive to medications and this was just not prudent, imo.  She said she didn’t think of saying no.  I would have. As it turns out, she was sick for several days.  She got Shingrix, flu vaccine and I think one for pneumonia.  She’s 79. 

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Due to my suffering with high arches, plantar fasciitis and loss of fat on bottom of feet, I   HAVE to be very careful with my footwear.  For years, I have worn almost exclusively Vionic brand shoes.  Most are around $100.00, but some of the boots are much more.  These shoes keep me pretty pain free, which is a miracle.  I even wear them around the house.   

I want these:

https://www.vionicshoes.com/ruth-chukka-boot.html?76=801

I want to have a huge shoe budget so I can buy each style of the Minna Ballet flats. And then a huge clothing budget so I can have 2 outfits for each shoe. 

Question? Do women no longer wear socks with their shoes or nylons when wearing dresses?

• Love 3

I'm guessing they don't want anyone getting any vaccines around the time of the covid one so you and your MD will know for sure that any reaction/side effects you might get is due to the covid vaccine and you can be prepared for your follow-up shot.

Not a time for your MD to be guessing why.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Nysha said:

Last night's sleep was very restful and lasted from 11 to 5. My best friend & downstairs neighbor came up this morning and helped me clean my living room. It was so cluttered and stressful that I could not get started. It took us about an hour to get it in order. I'm not a hoarder, but when I get depressed I just don't care enough to throw things out. I don't go back to work until January 4 and there will be a great purge by that time.

@Nysha, this made me think of Mary & Rhoda, which is a happy thought. How convenient to have your bff right downstairs! Good luck with the purge and glad you got a good night's sleep. I struggle with that myself.

All this talk of shoes and feet characteristics puts me in mind of my annoying sil. She's a talker (endlessly, mostly about herself) and after 45 years, I've heard all of her stories countless times. One of her favorites is boasting about her narrow, "aristocratic" feet. The conversations here re shoes and feet are far more interesting and informative!

I received the sugar cube polio vaccine in my kindergarten classroom in 1960 or 1961. I don't remember getting the smallpox vaccine, but I used to have a light scar on my arm from it. I don't really see it anymore. Most of our vaccines (and we received fewer than my own 70s-80s kids did) were given in the doctor's office. I remember my younger brother running out to the parking lot to try to avoid one! After my kids' doctor appointments, I always took them to Arby's for a Jamocha shake! Well, not when they were babies, but later.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing they don't want anyone getting any vaccines around the time of the covid one so you and your MD will know for sure that any reaction/side effects you might get is due to the covid vaccine and you can be prepared for your follow-up shot.

Not a time for your MD to be guessing why.

That is exactly why the CDC says not to get the shingles vaccine and the Covid vaccine around the same time.  With the Covid vaccine, it is still being studied and any adverse affects are noted and reported.  The same thing happened in 2009 with the H1N1 vaccine.  It was rushed to production and required it's own paperwork that was immediately faxed to either the FDA or the CDC.  I was working as a pharmacy technician back then and we had to fax the paperwork in on every shot.  Also because the Covid vaccine was rushed, I don't believe the studies have been done to see if it is possible to get it along with other vaccinations.  Information like that comes out in later phases of trials.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

As it turns out, she was sick for several days.  She got Shingrix, flu vaccine and I think one for pneumonia.  She’s 79. 

I'm 69 and my doctors will only "let" me have one at a time and they're not sure they'll ever let me have Shingrix much less mixed with others.

8 hours ago, Nysha said:

Question? Do women no longer wear socks with their shoes or nylons when wearing dresses?

Mostly no.  My daughter quit buying and wearing stockings/hose when the court no longer required them.  I've only bought them to wear to my kids' weddings.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Mostly no.  My daughter quit buying and wearing stockings/hose when the court no longer required them.  I've only bought them to wear to my kids' weddings.  

This ^^ is about socks and stockings. My legs haven't aged well; I don't have varicose veins but a sh*tload of disfiguring broken "spider veins" on my legs and feet. It's hereditary. Sigh. I wear pantyhose with dresses - but, I actually have not worn a dress for more than five years, if not longer. There is now exactly one dress in my closet. These days, my legs are decently covered in trousers of the (I hope) appropriate level of dressiness for the occasion. In hot weather for casual wear I indulge in just-below-the-knee skimmer pants. And let the world look, or not, at my legs. I doubt anyone looks, it's a downside and sometimes an advantage of getting old, lol.

When I retired from my full time job (years ago now!) I had many pairs of pantyhose in my dresser drawers, some in unopened packages. By now there may be an unopened package lurking at the back of a drawer, but that's it. 

Sadly, my feet tend to sweat so if I'm in flats I am more comfortable with some kind of sock-let between my foot and the shoe, but TBH that's not a current issue. I'm in jeans mostly, either in sandals with no socks, or nice warm socks (it's winter here) with loafers or oxford style shoes or walking shoes. Again, it's old lady comfort. And by all that's holy, I've earned it, LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

I do. I think it looks tacky and unfinished to go in bare legs. Unless it's like a summer dress with flip flips or something. But for working or going church or dinner, yes. I do. Also, wearing dress shoes without socks or hose is asking for blisters. Sticky icky dirty feet. Just ewww. I've always said I was born 30 years too late. I like the "old school" fashions.  IMO it just looks better with panty hose and a dress. And I'm 38, so I'm not a grumpy old woman. Not yet anyway. 

• Love 12
14 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

.   I really want a pair of Frye boots, but balk at $350

13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Anyone remember Frye Boots?

I have wanted Frye boots for so long, but didn’t want to pay the price. I finally was able to get a pair of knee high ones for $198 with free shipping. They will take awhile to break in, but I just love their look. I had a pair in college (eons ago) and wore them all the time. My issue (besides the cost) was finding a pair that didn’t have a super square toe. Seems that was the style for a few years. The way I found the price discount was to sign up for their emails and just I just waited. Their price just kept dropping until I got mine at about half price. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don't wear socks with anything but sneakers or (casual/work) boots, but I wear stockings if I'm in a dress/skirt and it's too cold to go bare-legged.

I like how stockings and tights look, though. There was a fad like ten years back for really loud, colorful, patterned tights and I loved that, I thought they looked great. But I guess right now, tights are out of style.

If I'm just wearing flats or heels with a pair of pants, I just have the shoe on my bare foot. I go barefoot as much as possible and I want to slip my flats off while I'm driving or sitting at my desk, to be honest.

My feet don't sweat or anything, and I just feel so constricted by having something on my feet. I hate uncomfortable clothes altogether. In fact, I'm at work now and I'm wearing what is fundamentally a sweatshirt and yoga pants -- but the sweatshirt is quilted and cut to look like a turtleneck sweater and the yoga pants are designed to look like dress pants. I've already slipped my ballet flats off and am sipping my coffee out of a big old Yeti mug. Modern life isn't so bad, I guess. 😁😂

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

I want to have a huge shoe budget so I can buy each style of the Minna Ballet flats. And then a huge clothing budget so I can have 2 outfits for each shoe. 

I've been working from home for 9 months, but I always wore skirts and pantyhose and do when I go to the office once a month or so.  It just looks better and feels better too.  I hate the feel of bare feet in closed shoes.  I'm old and feel no need to be "modern" in anything that doesn't suit me otherwise.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

I do. I think it looks tacky and unfinished to go in bare legs. Unless it's like a summer dress with flip flips or something. But for working or going church or dinner, yes. I do. Also, wearing dress shoes without socks or hose is asking for blisters. Sticky icky dirty feet. Just ewww. I've always said I was born 30 years too late. I like the "old school" fashions.  IMO it just looks better with panty hose and a dress. And I'm 38, so I'm not a grumpy old woman. Not yet anyway. 

to @Nysha and @QuinnInND in the fall/winter yes I wear hose/tights with dresses if I am going to a formal/cocktail event, in the summer-time no. I have never had a blister before (it looks quite painful actually). I love socks (gotta keep the feet warm) but if its summer time and Im dressing up I do not wear hose or tights.

Unrelated to fashion- this is NOT my month for appliances. Seems that there is break in the waterline in my Mom's fridge. I tried to check it yesterday and my sister ran at me screaming and naked (she had just woken up) when I tried to move the fridge. I guess she thought I was trying to take it away? I am getting older because her screaming rattles my nerves more these days (also pandemic), but she is behaving with no ice (thank god!) she just filled the cube tray and is drinking water from the Brita pitcher. Im trying to get someone out before Christmas to get it fixed and I will go get a bag of ice today. I told my Mom only ONE BAG will fit in the fridge and she will just have to deal. 

Can nothing break for like a month PLEASE???? Its just ANNOYING, I get NO REST. 

0CE34F48-16AB-4E28-9F4D-B794270438E1.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

to @Nysha and @QuinnInND in the fall/winter yes I wear hose/tights with dresses if I am going to a formal/cocktail event, in the summer-time no. I have never had a blister before (it looks quite painful actually). I love socks (gotta keep the feet warm) but if its summer time and Im dressing up I do not wear hose or tights.

Unrelated to fashion- this is NOT my month for appliances. Seems that there is break in the waterline in my Mom's fridge. I tried to check it yesterday and my sister ran at me screaming and naked (she had just woken up) when I tried to move the fridge. I guess she thought I was trying to take it away? I am getting older because her screaming rattles my nerves more these days (also pandemic), but she is behaving with no ice (thank god!) she just filled the cube tray and is drinking water from the Brita pitcher. Im trying to get someone out before Christmas to get it fixed and I will go get a bag of ice today. I told my Mom only ONE BAG will fit in the fridge and she will just have to deal. 

Can nothing break for like a month PLEASE???? Its just ANNOYING, I get NO REST. 

0CE34F48-16AB-4E28-9F4D-B794270438E1.jpeg

That sucks Scarlett.  We had a leak in our line last year, and it took a while to get it fixed.  Mom and I are lucky that one of our friends runs a restaurant supply company and knows exactly how to fix it.  

• Love 6
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

That sucks Scarlett.  We had a leak in our line last year, and it took a while to get it fixed.  Mom and I are lucky that one of our friends runs a restaurant supply company and knows exactly how to fix it.  

If my sister remains calm we will be just fine. Christmas is Friday and she will have many new things to play with/be entertained by so she may be okay without her beloved ice. 

Mom and I joke, if shes not happy AINT NO BODY HAPPY- because if she isnt happy, Mom isnt happy, and then I get no peace. LOL.

Also, why is it right after you do elaborate eye makeup your eye itches? I am trying out looks for the holiday, I am leaning towards a glam grinch.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

If my sister remains calm we will be just fine. Christmas is Friday and she will have many new things to play with/be entertained by so she may be okay without her beloved ice. 

Mom and I joke, if shes not happy AINT NO BODY HAPPY- because if she isnt happy, Mom isnt happy, and then I get no peace. LOL.

Also, why is it right after you do elaborate eye makeup your eye itches? I am trying out looks for the holiday, I am leaning towards a glam grinch.

I hate when that happens with your eyes.  I only use waterproof mascara and extremely long-wearing eyeliner to cut down on accidental smudges.  It does help.  I will also use a qtip to lightly massage away the itch.  

In other news.  My work is getting to me.  We have been functioning okay since March, but I feel like I am out on an island by myself.  My boss has changed our holiday schedules for Thanksgiving and now New Years.  Which is great, except he has failed to email these changes.  Instead he calls each manager and passed on this information or thinks he told all of us.  He may have told me about these changes, but if that was before one of my employees was out last month with Covid, or when another one of my employee's dad was in the hospital with a stroke, then I don't remember.  Since June it has been one thing after another, and I need reminders preferably in print.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

All this talk of shoes and feet characteristics puts me in mind of my annoying sil. She's a talker (endlessly, mostly about herself) and after 45 years, I've heard all of her stories countless times. One of her favorites is boasting about her narrow, "aristocratic" feet. The conversations here re shoes and feet are far more interesting and informative!

I have a distant cousin who is always complaining about how big her feet is--she's an inveterate attention-seeker and also never shuts up--and one day I had a "Bitch, please" meltdown on her in which I pointed out she was a half a foot taller than me and still had littler feet. I have at least been spared her feet BS since then. 😇

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I am a solid 9.5, in the summer my feet swell a tad so I have some shoes in a 9.5W (I have some Clark's sandals that I call my "Disney World Shoes" in that size). Now that I am losing weight I may stay a 9.5B this up coming summer. I am 5'7 so I feel my feet fit my height almost, slightly bigger but I have never felt I had "big feet". I do have exceptionally cute toes and I am rather proud of them, I love to wear sandals in the summer and always have a pedicure because you have to work with what you have!

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am a solid 9.5, in the summer my feet swell a tad so I have some shoes in a 9.5W (I have some Clark's sandals that I call my "Disney World Shoes" in that size). Now that I am losing weight I may stay a 9.5B this up coming summer. I am 5'7 so I feel my feet fit my height almost, slightly bigger but I have never felt I had "big feet". I do have exceptionally cute toes and I am rather proud of them, I love to wear sandals in the summer and always have a pedicure because you have to work with what you have!

5'4," 10W. The cousin in question was 5'9" and wore 9s. I always felt like her feet were pretty in proportion to her height. I have another cousin who is 5'9" and wears 11Ws. Her dad (my dad's brother) wore 13EEEs. We've got some big ass feet in the family, and most of us have to have wide shoes. But that's why I was in no mood for the other cousin to complain. 🤣

Though I will say, comparing feet on the internet has made me feel much better about my feet. My friends always seem to have super tiny feet, and it made me feel like a moose. It's been nice to compare notes with people online and not feel like a freak.

Edited by Zella
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 9
Just now, Zella said:

Though I will say, comparing feet on the internet has made me feel much better about my feet. My friends always seem to have super tiny feet, and it made me feel like a moose. It's been nice to compare notes with people online and not feel like a freak.

You are not a moose! I am sure your feet are lovely. 

Human beings are all built differently. I am a plus size gal, always have been, was an obese child etc- I wear a ring 5.5 NOW and a ring size 5 when I am at my smallest. This is the same ring size as my friend who is 5'1 and HALF my body mass- half. My fingers are SKINNY, I would rather have skinny legs than fingers but NO ONE ASKED ME! LMAO

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

@Scarlett45 - sorry about the appliance rebellion. I hope they get it fixed soon. Early in the pandemic my washing machine died and had to be replaced. Not fun.  And, good for you for rocking your cute toes! I agree - work with what you've got. 

The other day I think I mentioned that the laptop I bought used and used for 2.5 years, may have been stolen. I have now heard back from the company which "owned" the remote management that blocked me from cleaning off the hard drive and reinstalling the operating system. What a relief - they had sold the laptop and forgotten to delete it from their "device management" program. They said they've now deleted it so it's no longer tied to them via Apple, and I should be able to erase the drive and reinstall the operating system without a problem. That's important, because I have an offer from a mac reseller to buy it from me and I couldn't go through with that until this issue was resolved. Whew!

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

You are not a moose! I am sure your feet are lovely. 

Human beings are all built differently. I am a plus size gal, always have been, was an obese child etc- I wear a ring 5.5 NOW and a ring size 5 when I am at my smallest. This is the same ring size as my friend who is 5'1 and HALF my body mass- half. My fingers are SKINNY, I would rather have skinny legs than fingers but NO ONE ASKED ME! LMAO

Thank you! I inherited my dad's sturdy burly build. I have been overweight since grad school, but even when I was really skinny, I still had bulkier shoulders, bigger ankles, and more muscular legs than a lot of men.

Which I actually appreciate more now that I am a little older. I remember twisting my ankle when I was in grad school and comparing notes with a student of mine who had broken his ankle. He was showing me his ankle, and I was showing him mine, and even though he was an average size guy, he looked like a little bird next to me! And silently I was grateful for inheriting my dad's tree trunk legs. Maybe without them, I would have broken my ankle too! 🙃

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5