Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

And I'm out of here. 

I have a good one. Someone was trying to open my apartment this morning. I'm freaking out. I look outside and it looks like a couple of contractors. I'm like what the fuck. I open the door with the chain lock secured and peek out. They go "Ohhhhh that's why the key wasn't working. We're supposed to be going to an empty apartment." Had to call the emergency line to get someone to come out with the right key. 

The apartment beside me is empty. Because management has suspended walk throughs and all that, my neighbors trashed the place.

I'm missing all the construction. Excellent. 

• Love 4

I’ve gone through so many screen protectors during this pandemic. I just put my 3rd one on this phone. I’ve never had to change screen protectors before like this. The first time it broke I dropped my phone on the concrete basement floor while doing laundry. The second I can’t remember, and the third, while I was scrolling this week i saw my screen protector was cracked. 

41 minutes ago, Zella said:

I would much rather read physical copies of books, but I do have a Kindle app on my phone and laptop. If I am going to be doing a lot of searching in a book, I'd much rather have the e-book. I can't do audiobooks. I have a hard time processing information I hear versus what I see, so the one time I listened to an audiobook, I retained absolutely nothing, including the main character's name and the basic plot. I remember laughing, so I guess it was funny? LOL I can't really handle podcasts either for the same reason. My brothers are always sending me stuff to listen to, and I'm like, "Is there a transcript I can just read?"

That being said, I have been thinking about getting a Kindle. It's mainly a space issue. I own a shitload of books. I don't know how many. I gave up counting about 10 years ago when I hit 2,000, and I have acquired a lot of books since then. I'm running out of space to store them. To avoid becoming a hoarder, it might be easier to just start getting more e-books. (Not buying books is clearly not an option. 😄 )

One thing I like about working at a library is I do end up coming across way more new books than I would otherwise. When I wasn't at the library, I was never current on anything, but I've read a lot of newer books this year. One I am reading now--Peter Cozzens' Tecumseh and the Prophet: The Shawnee Brothers Who Defied A Nation--is superb if you like history. Also really enjoyed Allie Brosh's new book and Hadley Freeman's family history House of Glass. Some 2020 releases that are on my radar but I never got around to reading this year are The Glass Hotel, Mexican Gothic, and Hilary Mantel's last Thomas Cromwell book. 

I'm like you, I find audiobooks and podcasts tough. What's interesting though is I will listen to the TV as a 'bedtime' story, with my back to it. I think the difference is, its okay if I miss something, or miss the ending, because I'm not invested in it. With books, I want to climb inside and experience it all. Podcasts, on the other hand feel like assignments, like I have to be fully invested to learn whatever it is they're teaching, or for a series, I need to pay full attention during each episode in order to be up to date for the next one. It feels like too much work in balance to the pleasure. I'd rather read it or watch it.

What's funny is my mom pretty much had talk radio going 24/7 during my childhood, so I grow up listening to 'podcasts'. I guess it didn't stick.

• Love 7

I'm one who prefers real books. Always have, always will. I do like audio books though and I don't mind reading off my phone. 

Tried the hotspot thing with my phone and computer. While my computer recognized and connected to it, when I went to actually surf the net, it said there was no internet. Not sure if it's part of the issues I'm having with my phone or if I did something wrong. I found out that if you make an appointment, you can use the internet at the library, so I'm going to try to do that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, rue721 said:

Yes! I think the narrator is so important.  . . . I think narrating audiobooks must be a very difficult job, very few people can really pull it off. But when they do, it adds a lot to the book!

I so agree! I got into audiobooks nearly 20 years ago, when my daily commute was about 45 minutes each way. At the time I would check out books on tape (remember cassettes?) or CD from the public library to listen to. I learned that fiction with a good plot was the best bet, often mysteries. When driving I couldn't pay enough attention to most nonfiction on audio, except for very well-paced histories or biographies. I hated it when I got to a tape or CD in a set that wouldn't play because it was damaged or worn. Bah.

I still like listening to audiobooks in the car even if I'm not driving very far. Habits are hard to break, I suppose.

About narrators. I am still disappointed, SEVERELY disappointed - is LIVID with disappointment a thing? over one of the most criminally botched audiobooks I've ever experienced. It was The Late Scholar, a modern-day "continuation" of Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter series authored by Jill Paton Walsh. I like the (written) books and have enjoyed them as audiobooks. So I bought that one when it was issued at Audible. Bad idea! Prior narrators of the Wimsey audiobooks included actors who had actually played Lord Peter on TV shows - Edward Petherbridge and the late Ian Carmichael. This book's narrator had a deep rather boring voice, although Lord Peter is a lithe slender man who was animated and didn't speak like a ponderous *ss. The narrator BADLY mispronounced some key names in the Wimsey canon, including Bredon, as well as Shrewsbury which ought to be a no-brainer for someone narrating a book set in the UK. He also spoke Bunter's lines in some horrible uneducated rough-sounding dialect, as much unlike the well-read and dutiful Bunter as I could imagine. And his whole narration was so flat. I literally couldn't finish listening. AARGH! I'm still PO'd about this as you can tell, lol.

But really any single obvious mispronunciation can ruin a book for me. I can't remember its title, but a few years ago I was listening to an audiobook I'd borrowed from the library. One character was a veteran of the Vietnam war, and something of importance to the plot was related to the Battle of Hue. Which the narrator pronounced as "hue" (a synonym for color) instead of H'way (a single syllable). And of course we heard HUE many many times. 

Audiobook narration and editing must be a sometimes thankless task. Because of listeners like me, who get distracted and even irritated by blatant mispronunciations, with low tolerance for horrendous miscasting and ignorant editing of narration, lol.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6

I had my first outdoor legal meeting today.  I had clients coming to my office (historic home converted to office) to sign documents that needed to be notarized and so I sat up a small table, chairs on the front porch and had the paralegal come to them to witness the signatures.  It worked out great and my clients were thrilled they could avoid going inside where there are more risks.  The weather was perfect and they commented the only thing missing was an adult beverage.  lol.  Just kidding...not for legal signings.  We still kept our masks on and I sanitized everything we all touched.  

• Love 13

I generally do not do audiobooks or podcasts--I read so much faster than anyone can talk that I find them tedious. The one exception is David Sedaris. His audiobooks (narrated by him) are the very best way to experience his work, IMHO. For a seasonal selection, find his "Santaland Diaries" and listen to it, if you've never heard it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I generally do not do audiobooks or podcasts--I read so much faster than anyone can talk that I find them tedious. The one exception is David Sedaris. His audiobooks (narrated by him) are the very best way to experience his work, IMHO. For a seasonal selection, find his "Santaland Diaries" and listen to it, if you've never heard it.

I just read Santaland Diaries for the first time this week, after hearing David Sedaris interviewed on The NY Times Book Review podcast. I’m not sure how it is that I’d never read it before.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

When I read an actual book lately (usually for my book club), I have caught myself trying to enlarge the type! It's possible I have too many screens in my life, lol. 

I do that too! I have horrible eyesight and the ability to enlarge text is very helpful.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What's funny is my mom pretty much had talk radio going 24/7 during my childhood, so I grow up listening to 'podcasts'. I guess it didn't stick.

You may have solved why I can't tolerate pod casts.  Talk radio sends me straight to the ceiling like a startled cat.  I absolutely loathe it.  

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

You may have solved why I can't tolerate pod casts.  Talk radio sends me straight to the ceiling like a startled cat.  I absolutely loathe it.  

Hunh. Me, either. My husband listens to NPR a lot but I can’t stand the constant noise. 

Are you an HSP, Highly Sensitive Person? I am and I think that has much to do with it. Well, that and I’m a huge fan of silence in general. I go into homes where the television is on continuously and I want to run away after ten minutes. Put me in a store with a loud soundtrack and I leave.

Yes, I’m weird. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Weirdly enough, as one of the ones who cannot listen to podcasts or audiobooks, I can listen to NPR. Occasionally listen to it while driving, though more commonly just stick to music. Even then, I still end up having to memorize phrases from the NPR stories to look them up afterward because I don't really process all the information. 

• Love 6

Mr. Six listens to NPR at work, and he loves to listen to it on Saturday mornings when we run our weekly errands.  It makes me twitch.  I hate it.  I have found a handful of podcasts that I enjoy, the main one being 'Today in True Crime' narrated by Vanessa Richardson.  She has a great voice for it, and they rarely run more than 15 minutes.  It's also a good way to hear bits of history (another thing I don't enjoy learning about).  

I have two requests for good thoughts and/or prayers.  We found out yesterday that one of Mr. Six's coworkers lost his dad to covid.  While we've had family test positive, this is the first person that has passed away.  And the second is a woman I graduated with.  I believe I've posted about her son being diagnosed with cancer earlier this year.  He had to have a leg amputation, and the cancer spread to his lungs.  He found another painful area in his remaining ankle, and if it turns out to be cancerous, he will be deemed terminal.  He was supposed to have another lung surgery, but it's being put on hold while they check the ankle.  This young man just turned 21 a few weeks ago, and his sweet baby boy turned 2 earlier this fall.  On top of everything, while her son was hospitalized & fighting for his life, her mom passed away.  My heart breaks for this family.  While we weren't close, we were good friends, and I would give anything just to give her a hug right now.  While life can be beautiful so much of the time, it can also be very cruel. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Are you an HSP, Highly Sensitive Person? I am and I think that has much to do with it.

I have misophonia and that could easily play a part. 

Huh, I found a test and it distinguishes between misophonia and HSP.  Interesting.

https://misophoniainstitute.org/misophonia-test-do-you-have-misophonia/

I definitely have misophonia.  Dog licking, chip crunching, fingernail snapping, whistling, etc, set me right on edge.  My father had it and so does one of my daughters.  We all react(ed) to the same noises, too.  All of my kids have a synesthesia so we live with it. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, Zella said:

Weirdly enough, as one of the ones who cannot listen to podcasts or audiobooks, I can listen to NPR. Occasionally listen to it while driving, though more commonly just stick to music. Even then, I still end up having to memorize phrases from the NPR stories to look them up afterward because I don't really process all the information. 

I love listening to podcasts, and waste way too much time on the computer finding various things to listen to. These days, a lot of it is also news clips, because I find it hard to sit through an entire news program of random bits and pieces. Also, oddly, even though I am horrible at multi-tasking anything in the real world, I have gotten way too addicted to listening to these things while playing solitaire. It seems to use two entirely unrelated bits of my brain, and I can actually retain more of what I hear while playing solitaire than I can with life and the universe at random distracting me. It somehow calms the ADD side of my mind. 

I also have taken to falling asleep while listening to things like podcasts, interviews, or audiobooks. They seem to help me get to sleep and even stay asleep (though, occasionally, it does lead to some interesting dreams). There are things I play over and over because on the one hand, I find them fascinating and informative, but on the other, the tone or cadence can sometimes put me to sleep within minutes. There's a series on YouTube about the fall of various civilizations which manages to both fascinate me and knock me out at the same time better than almost anything.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

this also has nothing to do with any current topic - I know we do good news sunday, but i find sharing any good news/joy/hope/acts of kindness on any day is ok.

our neighbors directly across the street have had a big plastic bin on their porch for several weeks now. we wondered what it was all about. turns out they have been filling it with snacks, small bottles of water/gatorade and inviting delivery drivers to take what they need.

We're doing this too and I'm so happy that the drivers are taking advantage of it. We have a video doorbell, and a driver yesterday turned to it, held up his water and snacks and said Thank you; it made MY day!

I also saw this on facebook and it's perfect. 

IMG_3471.jpg

• LOL 24

I can't do podcasts or audible books, my attention span can't stay on track and I constantly have to rewind. Plus, so many podcasters talk over each other and it drives me nuts. I do love my Kindle, though. In addition to the multiple books throughout my house. Y'all reminded me today I need to renew my library card. My local branch has lobby hours and I need to take advantage of that.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Mr. Six listens to NPR at work, and he loves to listen to it on Saturday mornings when we run our weekly errands.  It makes me twitch.  I hate it.  I have found a handful of podcasts that I enjoy, the main one being 'Today in True Crime' narrated by Vanessa Richardson.  She has a great voice for it, and they rarely run more than 15 minutes.  It's also a good way to hear bits of history (another thing I don't enjoy learning about).  

I have two requests for good thoughts and/or prayers.  We found out yesterday that one of Mr. Six's coworkers lost his dad to covid.  While we've had family test positive, this is the first person that has passed away.  And the second is a woman I graduated with.  I believe I've posted about her son being diagnosed with cancer earlier this year.  He had to have a leg amputation, and the cancer spread to his lungs.  He found another painful area in his remaining ankle, and if it turns out to be cancerous, he will be deemed terminal.  He was supposed to have another lung surgery, but it's being put on hold while they check the ankle.  This young man just turned 21 a few weeks ago, and his sweet baby boy turned 2 earlier this fall.  On top of everything, while her son was hospitalized & fighting for his life, her mom passed away.  My heart breaks for this family.  While we weren't close, we were good friends, and I would give anything just to give her a hug right now.  While life can be beautiful so much of the time, it can also be very cruel. 

Well my heart surely goes out to that young man and his family. It is the first - first night of Chanukah without sweet son  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I also listen to NPR in the car, but I don’t do podcasts. I’m a reader!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Are you an HSP, Highly Sensitive Person? I am and I think that has much to do with it. Well, that and I’m a huge fan of silence in general. I go into homes where the television is on continuously and I want to run away after ten minutes. Put me in a store with a loud soundtrack and I leave.

This also speaks to a condition called misophonia. I have it. We’d get along fine because I also like silence. I grew up that way. Same for my brother. Even if we chewed too loudly at the dinner table we were banished. I ate many a dinner in my room. 

12 hours ago, Absolom said:

I have misophonia and that could easily play a part. 

Huh, I found a test and it distinguishes between misophonia and HSP.  Interesting.

https://misophoniainstitute.org/misophonia-test-do-you-have-misophonia/

I definitely have misophonia.  Dog licking, chip crunching, fingernail snapping, whistling, etc, set me right on edge.  My father had it and so does one of my daughters.  We all react(ed) to the same noises, too.  All of my kids have a synesthesia so we live with it. 

I have misophonia and actually did not know about the condition until this year.  Certain noises set me on edge like people trying to talk with ill-fitting dentures, or people eating, or my one friend's husband who had a deviated septum and constantly had to clear out his nose.  I had no idea this was an actual condition, I just kept it to myself as I was silently fuming.  I have not really spoken about this to my family because they would think I am being over dramatic and take offense.  I also cannot stand people chewing gum, and now that I am a manager I do not allow my employees to chew gum at work.  I couch it in better terms, since we do work in a library and we have a rule about patrons chewing gum.  

• Love 9

12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I love listening to podcasts, and waste way too much time on the computer finding various things to listen to. These days, a lot of it is also news clips, because I find it hard to sit through an entire news program of random bits and pieces. Also, oddly, even though I am horrible at multi-tasking anything in the real world, I have gotten way too addicted to listening to these things while playing solitaire. It seems to use two entirely unrelated bits of my brain, and I can actually retain more of what I hear while playing solitaire than I can with life and the universe at random distracting me. It somehow calms the ADD side of my mind. 

I also have taken to falling asleep while listening to things like podcasts, interviews, or audiobooks. They seem to help me get to sleep and even stay asleep (though, occasionally, it does lead to some interesting dreams). There are things I play over and over because on the one hand, I find them fascinating and informative, but on the other, the tone or cadence can sometimes put me to sleep within minutes. There's a series on YouTube about the fall of various civilizations which manages to both fascinate me and knock me out at the same time better than almost anything.

I am the same when it comes to podcasts and they have given me some strange dreams. They don't hinder my book reading. I'm on my 47th book this year. I received a book log to keep track of my reading, last Christmas and it's been really interesting. I used to always forget the title of books that I've read, but now I have a reference guide. 

As for podcasts, I recently discovered Buzz Burbank News & Commentary. His podcasts remind me of Paul Harvey newscasts of old. He has a very soothing voice. I like to listen when I'm taking a nap. I usually fall right asleep and then listen again when I'm awake. Sadly, he only has a few left as he's retiring. I'm also hooked on the Date With Dateline duo. They are so funny and I enjoy the podcasts even though I don't watch Dateline! 

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 2

I enjoy quiet, except for the times that i love my loud music! Must be music I have picked out, though🙂. What’s strange is that when I was a kid, I could listen to music while I was reading. Now I must have quiet when I’m reading. Not sure when or why that changed.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 8
On 12/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, Zella said:

I would much rather read physical copies of books, but I do have a Kindle app on my phone and laptop. If I am going to be doing a lot of searching in a book, I'd much rather have the e-book. I can't do audiobooks. I have a hard time processing information I hear versus what I see, so the one time I listened to an audiobook, I retained absolutely nothing, including the main character's name and the basic plot. I remember laughing, so I guess it was funny? LOL I can't really handle podcasts either for the same reason. My brothers are always sending me stuff to listen to, and I'm like, "Is there a transcript I can just read?"

That being said, I have been thinking about getting a Kindle. It's mainly a space issue. I own a shitload of books. I don't know how many. I gave up counting about 10 years ago when I hit 2,000, and I have acquired a lot of books since then. I'm running out of space to store them. To avoid becoming a hoarder, it might be easier to just start getting more e-books. (Not buying books is clearly not an option. 😄 )

One thing I like about working at a library is I do end up coming across way more new books than I would otherwise. When I wasn't at the library, I was never current on anything, but I've read a lot of newer books this year. One I am reading now--Peter Cozzens' Tecumseh and the Prophet: The Shawnee Brothers Who Defied A Nation--is superb if you like history. Also really enjoyed Allie Brosh's new book and Hadley Freeman's family history House of Glass. Some 2020 releases that are on my radar but I never got around to reading this year are The Glass Hotel, Mexican Gothic, and Hilary Mantel's last Thomas Cromwell book. 

The last Cromwell by Hilary Mantel is called The Mirror and The Light and it is fascinating just like the first two books, even though we all know what is going to happen.  Her insight into Cromwell and what makes him tick is a really interesting take on an historical figure whose motives aren't always clear.  She makes you kind of like and admire a guy who probably wasn't all that likable or admirable on the surface.

An audio book that I enjoyed was The Dutch House by Ann Patchett, read by Tom Hanks.  You really cannot go wrong with Tom Hanks, of course.  If you like family sagas covering decades, this one is for you.  It was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize a couple years back.

When I'm having trouble sleeping, I find watching 'Forensic Files' on HLN works like a charm.  The narrator's voice is soothing and, somehow, knowing that they can solve just about any crime with just a speck of DNA is kinda reassuring, I think.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The last Cromwell by Hilary Mantel is called The Mirror and The Light and it is fascinating just like the first two books, even though we all know what is going to happen.  Her insight into Cromwell and what makes him tick is a really interesting take on an historical figure whose motives aren't always clear.  She makes you kind of like and admire a guy who probably wasn't all that likable or admirable on the surface.

Yes, I really enjoyed the first 2 books. One reason I have delayed is I keep debating with myself whether I should reread them before tackling the final one. And I can't make up my mind, so I don't act. LOL

As much as I enjoyed them, my favorite of her books is actually her French Revolution novel, A Place of Greater Safety, about Robespierre, Danton, and Desmoulins. As with the Cromwell books, you know how it's going to end, but it doesn't make the ride any less interesting. (Or disturbing.) That book messed me up. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes, I really enjoyed the first 2 books. One reason I have delayed is I keep debating with myself whether I should reread them before tackling the final one. And I can't make up my mind, so I don't act. LOL

As much as I enjoyed them, my favorite of her books is actually her French Revolution novel, A Place of Greater Safety, about Robespierre, Danton, and Desmoulins. As with the Cromwell books, you know how it's going to end, but it doesn't make the ride any less interesting. (Or disturbing.) That book messed me up. 

I went into The Mirror and the Light without refreshing myself on the other two books, and jumped right back in.  I had previously read the first two in print, but did the audio on the last.  I thought it was good, but as an amateur Tudor historian, I was disappointed in the flow of the book and the way Mantel dealt with one of the minor characters.  As always I thought there was too much Jane Seymour and not enough Anne of Cleeves, but I do recognize my own bias in this.  

I then went back and listened to Wolf Hall on audio in preparation for an online book club in October.  I appreciate the first book more after finishing the series, and could see how carefully all three books were plotted.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I went into The Mirror and the Light without refreshing myself on the other two books, and jumped right back in.  I had previously read the first two in print, but did the audio on the last.  I thought it was good, but as an amateur Tudor historian, I was disappointed in the flow of the book and the way Mantel dealt with one of the minor characters.  As always I thought there was too much Jane Seymour and not enough Anne of Cleeves, but I do recognize my own bias in this.  

I then went back and listened to Wolf Hall on audio in preparation for an online book club in October.  I appreciate the first book more after finishing the series, and could see how carefully all three books were plotted.  

I agree, Jane Seymour is not nearly as interesting as Anne of Cleves and I would've loved to have read more about her.  Jane was pretty vanilla in comparison.  Anne lead a very interesting life as the only wife that Henry divorced who outlived him.  For that matter, she outlived Catherine Parr, the wife who survived him,  Anne's deal to leave the marriage but stay in England as Henry's 'beloved sister' was quite radical at the time.  I realize Cromwell wasn't involved in a lot of it, but it's a topic I'd love to see explored in historical fiction.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Zella said:

As with the Cromwell books, you know how it's going to end, but it doesn't make the ride any less interesting. (Or disturbing.)

We watched the last season of Star Wars: Clone Wars this spring and this sentiment holds true. We knew how it was going to end, but it didn't make the ending any less gutting. Great, but so sad. In some ways, I think knowing how it's going to end allows for creators to explore character and relationships instead of plotting.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I agree, Jane Seymour is not nearly as interesting as Anne of Cleves and I would've loved to have read more about her.  Jane was pretty vanilla in comparison.  Anne lead a very interesting life as the only wife that Henry divorced who outlived him.  For that matter, she outlived Catherine Parr, the wife who survived him,  Anne's deal to leave the marriage but stay in England as Henry's 'beloved sister' was quite radical at the time.  I realize Cromwell wasn't involved in a lot of it, but it's a topic I'd love to see explored in historical fiction.

When I went back and listened to Wolf Hall I realized that Mantel is a Jane fan.  Jane appears far earlier in that book than necessary.  Though I do laugh at Mantel's Cromwell thinking Jane would be a suitable bride for his son.  That could have happened, because on the surface she was not queenly material.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

What’s strange is that when I was a kid, I could listen to music while I was reading. Now I must have quiet when I’m reading. Not sure when or why that changed.

Same. I used to be able to do anything with music playing--read, write, work, talk on the phone. Now I have to turn it off in the car if I get lost so I can find my way easier. 🤣

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Same. I used to be able to do anything with music playing--read, write, work, talk on the phone. Now I have to turn it off in the car if I get lost so I can find my way easier. 🤣

I do that also in the car! I really want to understand why.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I am pretty much a 100% real paper book person. I can read articles and boards like this one on devices, but not books. I'd rather cart around a ten pound bag of books on vacation than a Kindle. I'm probably weird in that way.

Audio books did play an important role in my second pregnancy, though; that was the one time I was really into them for a short while. I suffered from really bad pre-partum depression and anxiety in both of my pregnancies, and my half hour drive to and from work would frequently devolve into my brain spiraling into out of control fears that I would die in childbirth, and by the time I got to the office I was convinced I was as good as dead and would be mentally writing my will. My therapist suggested audio books to engage and distract my mind with something and they helped a ton...I listened to quite a few Janet Evanovich novels in the last trimester. I think I have no desire to go back to audio books (or read any more Janet Evanovich) because it will take me right back to that time I'd rather forget!

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, beckie said:

There is a bat in my bathroom! It flew down my hall and about scared me half to death. Anybody know how to get rid of them?

Open a window and herd it out with a towel or a broom is what my mom used to do.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, beckie said:

There is a bat in my bathroom! It flew down my hall and about scared me half to death. Anybody know how to get rid of them?

There was a bat in my parents' house once when I was a teenager. My father put on a straw hat with a net veil over the face from our old bin of dress up clothes, mittens, and a winter coat over his pajamas and waved a broom around for awhile. I guess eventually the bat left; by that point us kids were all laughing too hard at his getup and taking a ton of pictures to memorialize the event to pay much attention to the bat actually leaving.

I'm no help. I would be doing a lot of screaming. Do you have a broom or something with a long handle to help shoo it toward a window or door?

• LOL 7

My friend once had bats who made a habit of coming into her kitchen via her attic. She put up a sign on her attic door reading “no bats beyond this point.” After that they stayed in her attic and stopped flying into her kitchen. This is probably not helpful to you though.

Edited by Panopticon
Autocorrect
  • LOL 15
1 hour ago, beckie said:

It really is far more afraid of you...it’s disoriented and has no experience with how to escape. Try throwing a thick towel over it, while wearing gloves, and scoop it up and throw the whole thing outside, towel and all.

You can also try putting a bucket over it, slide a sheet of cardboard under it, and then take the whole works outside, holding the card against the bucket with your hand. I’ve rescued a zillion spiders, two hummingbirds and a lizard that way.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, beckie said:

I've had them in my house. When it stops, put a wastebasket or bucket or something over it with a piece of cardboard underneath and escort it out.

Dang, @Oldernowiser beat me to it.

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

@beckie:  you posted a couple weeks ago you’d gottten a p/t job and were very excited.  How did that work out?  Are you still there?

also, when you were having phone issues you said you were on your husbands phone.  I sort of took this to mean he’s on your side of the bars now and handed you his phone to use.  Is he out?  Is he in some sort of anger management therapy?

I am absolutely addicted to audio listening.  I get my books thru Amazon because they tend to be a wee bit cheaper than straight thru audible and I have a set fee amount I won’t go over.  I get so sorely disappointed with a bad reader though.  I’ve ALWAYS had issues with being read to because I’m a fast reader and I can’t stand the pace some of them use.  But my PET peeve is the flat line readers.  The ones who say “the house is on fire!!!” With the same inflection as “and they all had cake”.  

when I go to browse for a new book, occasionally they have an audio book dump and I can pick up books for $2.99 and $3.99.  I buy up a bunch at those prices because if it turns out i hate it, I’m ok with ditching it.  

There was a memorable one where I could ACTUALLY hear the reader take a drink of water fairly often.  With ice tinkling and everything!  Pause, tinkle, sip, set down, tinkle, sigh, continue.  I didn’t make it through that one.  

im a solitary worker with very noisy equipment.  Blocking it with earbuds and a good story is awesomeness!  I’ve listened to allllll the podcasts I could possibly have had an interest in - I’m having to wait for the podcast community (come ONNNN Payne!!!) to find new stuff and catch up.  I like the ones that take several pc’s to tell the whole story.  I just wrote down a best of ‘20 list I need to browse. 

I don’t believe I have an auditory issue such as those listed - but I will say that (uh..., and-uh....., consistent habitual nose or throat clearing, “like I said” at the beginning or “and all” at the end make me stabby.  I end up completely distracted and counting the offenses.  A people pusher came to visit me once, trying to get me to commit to using his temp people.  He said “like I said” several times at the beginning.  [and as we’d had NO prior discussions, he’d never, in fact, “said” ANYTHING to me before!!!].  As the discussion moved along, the “like I said” got so rapid it turned into “likeisa”.  An utterly useless habitual thrash became an issue I couldn’t hear over. In the end I told him I would never be able to deal with him, as he’d just used the term “like I said” 2,367 times in 10 minutes (Which wasn’t true, as I didn’t begin to count until at least 3 minutes in).  And that he needed communication therapy to deal with the public effectively. 

Rude, maybe, but i’d want to know, if it were me.

• Love 6