Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Absolom said:

When my third or fourth cable box in three years died, my kids talked me into Youtube TV.  I admit SIL walked me through what to buy and how to install it before I did the 14 day trial (before I turned in both cable boxes).  It is saving me over $100 a month and so far I'm getting all the shows I used to watch.  I admit since I'm watching streaming I added Brit Box and Acorn TV for small extra charges a month.  I've really enjoyed having them the last half of the pandemic.  It turned out to not be hard although it seems a little intimidating at first.  It helps to remind yourself it's only one step at a time.  Now I can watch my shows wherever I am on the TVs, laptop, tablet, or even my phone.  That's been nice a few times when I've been stuck somewhere.  

Thanks for sharing the information about YT TV. I've looked at it, but not in depth. One of my local relatives went to Hulu Plus or Hulu Live or whatever it's called - same thing, a substitute for cable and they say they are saving some serious monthly bucks. I think I'll look into all this again. 

Edited by Jeeves
Hulu name guesses, lol
  • Love 1

I've had YouTube TV for over a year now, and I am very happy with it.  I also have BritBox and Acorn.  Be sure to check out Pluto, which is a free app that has a lot of great programing.  I'm surviving just fine without paying for cable boxes!  YouTube TV is the only streaming service I have found that includes PBS, and I can watch anywhere on my iPad when I'm not home.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I have Pluto also and went with youtube tv to get PBS.  For Bates watchers it does not have UP, but another service called something like frndly tv does and you can sign up for the season and then discontinue. 

Ok, I don’t understand all this streaming stuff...can you still get your local channels with these streaming services? Someone told me I’d need an antenna to get local stations and I don’t want an ugly antenna on my new beautiful metal roof. 

2 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'm glad they both have you to depend on! He looks like a sweet doggo. I'm happy to see your godmother is feeling decently enough to enjoy Christmas! I think we all need happy holidays this year, and she definitely deserves a good one! 

Yes- I put up her lights for her. She took a nap and that night walked out to see them, I’m glad I could make her happy. 

I am debating giving up cable, (directv) and getting the TLC streaming, along with Hallmark- I already have Netflix, Hulu, HBOMax, Disney+ and Amazon Prime (with Starz)......yes I know I’m a tv junkie. I have no regrets especially during the pandemic. 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

Ok, I don’t understand all this streaming stuff...can you still get your local channels with these streaming services? Someone told me I’d need an antenna to get local stations and I don’t want an ugly antenna on my new beautiful metal roof. 

I just looked at the YouTube TV site. Entered my zip code to see what the channel lineup here is. It includes all the local stations - ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, CW and maybe more. I was surprised there were so many included with YouTube TV. I checked either Sling or Hulu Live and whichever it was, didn't have as many local channels as YouTube TV.

You can get over the air channels using an indoor antenna, depending on your location and (sometimes) the vagaries of how your home is located. I'm in a metro area, in a condo building a few stories up, with a Western exposure (the TV signals tend to come from a big tower out west of town). I have a "leaf" antenna on the wall of my bedroom hooked up to a TV. I get GORGEOUS HD channels on that TV free, obviously limited to the broadcast channels. But - these days every station has "sub"channels. Like, my NBC station is 9.1. It has a few other channels: 9.2 is Cozi, 9.3 True Crime Network, 9.5 Quest, and 9.6 Circle. I also have a Roku streaming device connected to that TV so I can watch Netflix and my other streaming stuff, plus some free streaming channels. More TV options than I really need on a bedroom TV, lol.

• LOL 2
44 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

I have no antenna and youtube tv has all the local channels except one really odd ball one.  The only show I watched on there is on Acorn so no problem.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My cousin, who is a nurse at a local hospital, got her first dose of the Covid vaccine today! I teared up a little at her picture with her vaccination card, it seems so real and close now. I can't wait to get mine.

doodlebug, have you gotten yours yet?

• Love 22

COZI TV is on YouTube TV in my area.  I get all the locals, PBS, all the sports networks--actually everything I want/need.  I have an Amazon Prime account, so I get all the Amazon programming also.  Interestingly, YouTube TV sent me an in-depth survey today, but I had to agree not to disclose what they asked.  They did ask for suggestions to make it a better service however.  I will say the survey was quite complete.  It was interesting.  Before I had YouTube TV I used Sony's PlayStation Vue.  It was a really great streaming service.  But Sony decided to drop it a year ago.  So far, I have no desire to go back to cable TV.  Understand, you must have internet to use any streaming service.  I only pay for internet from the cable company.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

My cousin, who is a nurse at a local hospital, got her first dose of the Covid vaccine today! I teared up a little at her picture with her vaccination card, it seems so real and close now. I can't wait to get mine.

My doctor son-in-law just got his (in New Mexico) and my nephew here in Illinois who is a nurse got his today. That's the good news...

My son just texted me that a good friend of his just died of covid today.

They both went to the same high school and then both joined the Marines after graduation.

His friend worked at the post office after he retired from the Marines.

He was only 46.😢

Edited by ChiCricket
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I do think “event insurance” is going to explode in future years. I think people will still have big weddings but there’s going to be a contingency plan.

You have to make sure you have a GOOD lawyer on your side though. Family friend canceled her wedding and had an elopement instead. She had every clause known to man listed in all the contracts because she was so wishy washy about the whole big white wedding thing. The venue steadfastly refuses to refund her. She will be taking legal action shortly. 

If there's no orders in place or the orders are loosely worded in that weddings aren't explicitly banned, the couple has to make a choice. Go ahead or cancel and lose a lot of money. There was a huge deal because one of the luxury venues where I live is "allowing" rebookings but everything has to be paid in full in advance. And if you booked on a Saturday in 2020 (which was a premium fee), sorry. There were no more Saturdays left in 2021 and they will not refund you the difference if you hold your wedding on a Thursday night in March versus a Saturday in June. Which a June booking was yet another premium fee but sorry, we're being kind in letting you reschedule.

It's just unfortunate all around. I have friends and acquaintances who are in the wedding industry. A lot of my dance friends are working for other dance companies until they're able to start their own. There is always one thing in the industry. For every gig you turn down, there are a dozen more dancers that are willing to take your place. The head of your dance company can make or break your reputation so you better get your little butt out to that wedding regardless if it is sunny, rainy, or a virus is out there.

I've said from the beginning that physical distancing is a luxury for a good segment of the population. It's painfully apparent that this is going to further increase the wealth gap. The stigma around it too is frustrating. I really wish the phrase "COVIDiot" would disappear. As much as the Duggars and their ilk may not be taking it seriously, there are a lot of people out there that simply don't have the luxury. Your grocery store cashier may be working two jobs to make ends meet and caught it at work. Now they're painted with the same brush as the "COVIDiot influencer" on the internet. That really doesn't help anyone. In fact, it's making the lives of contact tracers and other public health workers worse because if people are stigmatized for having an illness they're a lot less cooperative and in some instances downright hostile. You cannot get accurate, quality information from someone who thinks you're going to judge them for getting COVID. 

It's easy to go "Oh but YOU weren't being a COVIDiot" but that's not how the person who contracted it sees it. 

I don't think we've quite learned our lesson around how language matters from the HIV/AIDS epidemic. And relatively speaking, that wasn't all that long ago. 

That's my Ted Talk. I know people probably disagree but I will take my lumps.

• Love 13

@PikaScrewChu, I hear what you're saying, bit I'm okay with the term covidiot. Covidiots are the ones infecting to folks that still have to work. Covidiots are the ones attending weddings and then going back to work at a care home and infecting residents. Covidiots are like the nurse who worked on the cancer floor, who made a TikTok video bragging that she doesn't follow protocols outside the hospital (her license is now suspended). Covidiots are the ones mocking folks for following the rules.

The ones making it hard for contact tracers are also covidiots, because they don't want to isolate when they know they've been exposed, or they attended a wedding and don't want to get the covidiot bride and groom 'in trouble'. Anyone who has been following the rules and gets covid will fully cooperate with them.

In truth, if we had less covidiots out there, our country would be in much better shape. It would be less risky to work at, or shop at, the grocery store, less risky to get medical treatment, and less risky to have small gatherings with more than one bubble. 

The covidiots know who they are and many are proud flaunters of breaking the safety protocols put in place to save folks from serious illness and to save lives. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 18

But does that help the people who were doing "all the right things" and still get COVID anyway? It may be cathartic to yell into the internet void about COVIDiots but it's not quite changing things in the real world.

I TA'd for a prof my very first year of grad school who could be a bit overzealous about policing language but there was a specific incident in her class within the first two weeks that sticks out in my mind. A student said that something was impossible to get rid of, just like herpes and laughed. Oh my goodness. That prof turned it up to an ELEVEN. She went on a tirade about how we stigmatize illness and make diseases/illnesses a moral issue. And it is not okay to make light of it nor is it okay to make disease moral. She reminded them that you can do everything "right" and still contract herpes. You can also do everything "wrong" and never contract it.

I dread the day if one of the Duggars ever discloses they had COVID because there are going to be an awful lot of people that say "HAAAAAA THEY HAD IT COMING!". There. I said it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

But does that help the people who were doing "all the right things" and still get COVID anyway? It may be cathartic to yell into the internet void about COVIDiots but it's not quite changing things in the real world.

I TA'd for a prof my very first year of grad school who could be a bit overzealous about policing language but there was a specific incident in her class within the first two weeks that sticks out in my mind. A student said that something was impossible to get rid of, just like herpes and laughed. Oh my goodness. That prof turned it up to an ELEVEN. She went on a tirade about how we stigmatize illness and make diseases/illnesses a moral issue. And it is not okay to make light of it nor is it okay to make disease moral. She reminded them that you can do everything "right" and still contract herpes. You can also do everything "wrong" and never contract it.

I dread the day if one of the Duggars ever discloses they had COVID because there are going to be an awful lot of people that say "HAAAAAA THEY HAD IT COMING!". There. I said it.

I'm a therapist and its my job to be aware of the power of words, both good and bad. I'm not a grammar cop, but I'm usually the stigma cop (often times on these Duggar threads too). To me this is different. This is like getting in a car under the influence and driving. I would defend a person being blamed for their alcoholism, but I wouldn't defend the action of an alcoholic driving while drunk. To me they are two totally different things.

They is no stigma in having covid. There is accountability if one contracts and spreads it, in a careless way. 

Things like herpes and AIDS, which can be contracted through sex, are complicated comparisons because there is so much judgment about sexual activity alone, without adding in contagious diseases.

And, if I'm honest, I will be one of the ones saying the Duggars had it coming. Just like I have told more than one client who has complained about the fees and the time it takes to complete driving while intoxicated programs. If they weren't driving while intoxicated, they wouldn't be required to take the classes.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 22
9 hours ago, emma675 said:

I know I am not @doodlebug, but my Mom heads back to work the day after MLK day, and she will be getting hers the first week she is back. She is very excited. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

This is like getting in a car under the influence and driving. I would defend a person being blamed for their alcoholism, but I wouldn't defend the action of an alcoholic driving while drunk. To me they are two totally different things.

They is no stigma in having covid. There is accountability if one contracts and spreads it, in a careless way. 

Things like herpes and AIDS, which can be contracted through sex, are complicated comparisons because there is so much judgment about sexual activity alone, without adding in contagious diseases.

I agree with you. A serious car accident can happen to ANYONE that gets in a car, despite all the precautions, but we decided as a society to condemn driving drunk (officially, there were people who made the choice not to drive when they had too much to drink before it was a social policy*) because it drastically increases the chance that a serious accident will occur. Driving is something we "have to do" in our society, but we expect people to be responsible (follow the rules of the road, dont drive if you have medical conditions that would effect your ability to control a car etc). And if you do xyz behind a wheel and you get hurt, no I am not going to say you "deserve it" (I wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt like that) but you shouldn't have been doing xyz behind the wheel.

* My great uncle S, sweetest soul alive struggled with alcoholism and PTSD after his time serving in WWII. He kept his drinking under control while he was working and raising his kids (if he had been born in another time he would've been a stay at home dad- that kind of man) but when he retired he sold his car to his son "I am not driving any more, I don't want to hurt anyone." And he got a bicycle, with a helmet and a basket, because he knew he was drinking too much to drive. This was the early 80s. After I came along I asked my father how come Uncle S didn't have a car like other grownups, and he told me because you are not supposed to drive when you drink alcohol, and Uncle S drinks a lot of alcohol, so he bikes to keep the roads safe.

• Love 21
30 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

After I came along I asked my father how come Uncle S didn't have a car like other grownups, and he told me because you are not supposed to drive when you drink alcohol, and Uncle S drinks a lot of alcohol, so he bikes to keep the roads safe.

That's interesting, my dad actually made the same decision. Sometimes it's frustrating that he refuses to drive, but at the same time, I'm glad that he's being responsible and realistic with himself.

I have no problem with calling people who CHOOSE to engage in antisocial behavior, like hosting weddings or big gatherings or traveling, covidiots. I have to come into work every single day because of my covidiot boss, and she forces me to engage in a lot of activities that I think are dangerous ("mandatory fun" cocktail hour in the office!). She went on a flight across the country and back last week and came back hacking up a storm and sneezing everywhere, and said it must be from "dust." Then she insisted on hours-long daily meetings and cocktail hours. This is why I do not see my parents for more than 5 mins at a time, masked, and outside at this point. And I haven't seen my grandma since the pandemic began. It makes me so angry but I'm just trying to get through.

Personally, I use "covidiot" to express my anger at the people CHOOSING to put me and many, many others at risk. Others might think that I'm a covidiot, too -- I stay at my job, I walk my dog, and I see my boyfriend. During the summer, I also went to outdoor dining, and I still go hiking from time to time. But I am doing what I consider the minimum to survive financially and psychologically, I put a lot of thought into those choices and I'm at peace with them. I am not going to begrudge anyone else trying to carefully balance risk and harm against what they need to survive the pandemic, either. It's the people who are not trying to do any harm reduction who really bother me. And there are plenty out there to be bothered by.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Oh my gosh. I love your great Uncle S! What great strength of character and integrity - and yes, you can be a good person with strong integrity and ALSO an alcoholic. (Disclosure: I have a dog in this hunt, being a recovering alcoholic for 30+ years now.) Active addictions can --> bad behaviors, and bless him forever, he took steps to avoid bad behaviors that could harm himself and others. Wow. 

Uncle S was a GEM just a gem. The sweetest soul. He is the dad to my cousin M I have mentioned here who has had some health problems, strokes and has really struggled with disability from that, I say black men don't do well when they become disabled- internalized racism, toxic masculinity, ablism etc. But M is on the mend, I miss hanging out with him (I havent seen him in person since Feb because he is high risk). I told him the childfree cousins have to stick together! Although M's old enough to be my Dad we have fun together.

I dont pretend to know all the things Uncle S saw and experienced, and we did NOT have the mental health support in the 1940s and 1950s we have now. But he was a wonderful, kind soul who loved his family. His wife was a "you know what" who thought she married beneath her- seems her Daddy had money and she thought Uncle S would follow suit, Uncle S worked and supported his family but was never as successful as she wanted him to be. Married to that woman I don't blame him for drinking. Again Uncle S would've made a GREAT stay a home dad, just his demeanor and spirit was suited for caregiving. He had his demons for sure but he was never mean or unkind towards others. Everyone adored him. My great aunt B was our nanny, and Uncle S was her "favorite brother"- boy I got in trouble for saying that!

I miss them both, im going down memory lane right now. I love the holidays so much but I do get the feels missing all my great aunts and uncles I loved so much.

• Love 16

I have issue with the finger pointing and name calling because it's so easy to accidentally paint innocent people with the same brush.  Having an easy term to label people means it is so much easier to accidentally point at someone who has done all the right things and call them a "covidiot" and move on.  Put some effort into the derision and you might be more accurate.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ouinason said:

I have issue with the finger pointing and name calling because it's so easy to accidentally paint innocent people with the same brush.  Having an easy term to label people means it is so much easier to accidentally point at someone who has done all the right things and call them a "covidiot" and move on.  Put some effort into the derision and you might be more accurate.

I dont like name calling either. 

• Love 4

Well, decisions have consequences, and some consequences are social.

Accepting the consequences of your own decisions is part of being a responsible adult, and to be honest, I find the "threat" of being painted with the broad brush of "covidiocy" to be an incredibly minor consequence. If even that is too much, then maybe that defensiveness is a wake up call that you don't really believe in the decisions you're making and need to reassess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Ya, I suppose covidiot isn't the nicest term, but there are terms for all kinds of poor behavior toward others, including, racist, sexist, etc.

I suppose I could go one further and say I wish folks wouldn't act with such covidiocy.

• Love 11

My sister said that once everyone in our family gets the Covid vaccine, we are going to have one huge party.  It will be to celebrate all the holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and other celebrations we usually do but put off due to Covid. We can't wait & are really looking forward to it. 

• Love 14

Believe me when I say that I am ecstatic about the vaccine and the idea that in a year or so we can go back to some kind of normalcy. What I am concerned with is that it is not 100% effective and for awhile I think that mask wearing and hand washing will still be the norm for some people. Having a normal life is such a distant memory that I even wonder what my new normal is going to be like. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

That's interesting, my dad actually made the same decision. Sometimes it's frustrating that he refuses to drive, but at the same time, I'm glad that he's being responsible and realistic with himself.

I am glad too.

• Love 5

I like that ring, but add diamonds around the entire band. I'm like a magpie, the more sparkles, the better. Go big or go home, lol.

I'm also currently on a Teams call and one of the speakers has a dog just offscreen that keeps growling and doing that talky bark thing. This poor guy keeps snapping his fingers to get it to shut up, but it's not working. It's making me giggle, but seriously, if you know you're going to be speaking on a web meeting, why wouldn't you move yourself or the dog to another room?

Edited by emma675d
  • LOL 11
6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I like that ring, but add diamonds around the entire band. I'm like a magpie, the more sparkles, the better. Go big or go home, lol.

I'm also currently on a Teams call and one of the speakers has a dog just offscreen that keeps growling and doing that talky bark thing. This poor guy keeps snapping his fingers to get it to shut up, but it's not working. It's making me giggle, but seriously, if you know you're going to be speaking on a web meeting, why wouldn't you move yourself or the dog to another room?

I would. 

20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if the pandemic will have an impact on future weddings. Like, will couples go overboard because they can now (in the future), or will they tone it down realizing a simple wedding can be very meaningful too.

When the pandemic is over the wedding's we will see will be over the top and who can out top who.

I keep getting the engagement ring ads too, which is amusing since I'm married.
Also amusing: keep getting ads for knit hats with buttons on the side so you can attach a matching knit mask. They're actually cute but 1) I look horrible in knit hats and 2) I live in TN, and we rarely have winters harsh enough to require a knit hat and mask.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, emma675 said:

Nope, I don't work in ICU or ER; so I am a bit further down the list.  Cleveland Clinic has 50,000+ employees just in the greater Cleveland area.  My turn will come, probably in January.  I am perfectly happy to wait while the people working in the hospitals with COVID patients are taken care of ASAP.  We're expecting to have the Moderna vaccine next week in addition to the Pfizer and that should speed up the process.

I have a cousin who is an RN and works at Main Campus.  Her unit was converted to a COVID unit back in the spring.  She gets to go first, probably in the next couple days.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 16

Aw, thanks for the kind words this morning, folks. I'm nothing special, just a lucky person who's survived 72 years on this planet somehow. 

Thanks to @Absolom, I've just started my 14 day free trial of YouTube TV. Except for the DIY channel, so far it seems to have everything I usually watch on cable. Thanks for posting about it yesterday. I'd been thinking about dropping TV from my Xfinity package and your post sparked me to get moving.

YouTube TV is streaming faultlessly to my living room TV via my Roku. Sweet! I haven't called Xfinity yet to discuss dropping TV from my package. I'm a long term customer; every couple of years I call up a rep and chat and end up with a promotional package deal. My latest one has expired and my bill is ridonkulous. The only deals they are offering me online include TV. And the price they state is of course exclusive of the costs of cable box rental, DVR stuff, taxes, and fees. I will have to talk to a CSR to get an internet/phone only package again. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 10

Jumping off the JillR vaccine conversation. My friend, very close friend actually, who is someone some might describe as nutty-crunchy, excitedly texted me that folks were dropping dead from the vaccine. I'm like, what?? We chatted later, she heard me out, but I'm sure she is still doubting the safety of the vaccine. So the rumors are growing and growing. Fortunately my friend doesn't jump on social media and continue to fuel the fire.

My hope is that along with the 10% - 20% of folks who've already had covid, we get enough folks vaccinated to at least get covid down to a dull roar, if we can't reach herd immunity.

• Love 7
On 12/15/2020 at 1:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Your family really is sacrificing to help others and to keep others safe.  I really respect that.  It's beyond the call of duty.  I pray that he can hold on in good health until his vaccines is delivered. 

Well, I got part I of my shingles immunization.  It immediately was really sore, but, that doesn't bother me.  I pray I don't get too sick, but the important thing is that it's done, until time for part II.  

For anyone who is in need of health insurance, today is the last day for enrollment through the Marketplace.  

I recently had part one and part two of the Shingrix vaccine.  I didn't realize that it was common to feel feverish, chilled and achy, like the flu, afterwards.

Once I read the common side effects, I was prepared for part two, knowing it would happen again.  It did, but I was ready to hole up at home with cozy teas and soup.  I felt just fine the day after.

By the way, after both shots, my arm was not just sore, it was actually a bit swollen, warm to the touch, with a red spot inches away from the injection site.  That took a few days, or longer, to completely clear.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

i got mine yesterday as a direct result of you guys talking about it. i got the shringex (?) version. it was virtually painless and i have been feeling fine since then.  my other shoulder, the one that had the cortisone last week -- now that one hurts. the cortisone didnt really do much so eventually after this covid situation settles down i have to have a total replacement. will continue to put it off as long as i can. one thing i learned yesterday is because i took the shingles shot, now if the covid vaccine comes available, i cannot take it for the next 30 days.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
On 12/16/2020 at 4:44 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I was informed that the new shingles vaccine is not live, like the old one.  I specifically asked and read about that.  I’ll try to find a link.  
Here it is.  The older vaccine named Zostavax did have live virus, but the new one, Shringrix which is in two parts, is not live.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/expert-answers/shingles-vaccine/faq-20057859

That's true, the new shingles is not live, but the old one was.

I donate plasma twice a week and must report all new vaccines.  If the Shingrix was a live vaccine, I would have been deferred from donating for a while.  But the nurse looked it up and it is not live!

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

So I had the Shingles shot years ago. Do I now need to get the new two shot one?

Probably.  Mr. M had the older vaccine about ten years ago, but his doctor still recommended getting the new one.  Check with your own doctor, of course, since your medical situation could be very different from his.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, louannems said:

By the way, after both shots, my arm was not just sore, it was actually a bit swollen, warm to the touch, with a red spot inches away from the injection site.  That took a few days, or longer, to completely clear.

I'm sure many people know to do this, but a reminder to anyone having a reaction at the injection site, icing it can help tremendously.  I was having issues after my recent pneumonia vaccination and two five minute rounds of icing ended it.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Stupid thing that I just did. For the last 2 weeks I had a bottle of Walmart apple juice that I could not open because no matter what method I tried nothing worked. I got so pissed today that I got a knife and sawed the lid off. 

• LOL 11

Is it possible to lose power in only part of your house? I live on the upper floor of a duplex,  and i noticed today that the light in the stairwell wasn't coming on. No big deal, i thought maybe the bulb was burnt out. But then, when i got inside and tried to turn on my TV, i noticed that it wouldn't come on either.  Then I noticed everything on that side of the room is completely kaput.  This wall backs to the stairwell.  The electricity in the rest of the room and house are still on.

One of the ways I've been coping with the situation I'm in, is what I'm calling controlled noise.  That is, noise from the tv, something I like to watch but am not necessarily watching. Now that it's not coming on, I'm getting tense. And watching YouTube or other noisy stuff on my phone isn't cutting it.

Edited by beckie
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Try looking outside near where the power comes to the house.  If not there, is there a utility room or garage?

Next try for the laundry room if there is one.

Its outside on the wall of the house. Now I just have to find a flashlight to see it.

• Love 1