Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

While we don’t get a bunch of snow in NC, over the years, I learned to drive on snow pretty well.  But, the thing is even if I can keep it on the road, other drivers can easily slam into you, because they are not allowing proper distance, are hitting their brakes, etc. so, I learned to just stay at home and walk to the grocery store when possible. It’s a big joke that southerners can’t drive in snow.  Lol. It’s pretty much true. 

Well, NC courts closed again for all but essential services.  So, that means I won’t have to return to the courtrooms  for at least another 30 days.  

I’m so excited the vaccines have started. I watched the first person in NY get their injection today on tv.  It brought tears to my eyes. I’m so grateful. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, Zella said:

There are some pretty infamous pictures from a few years ago showing the Missouri/Arkansas border. The winter weather budget discrepancy is noticeable. LOL

I found this one, but I could swear I've seen more of them.

UKR5MeY.jpg

Those of us who live in snowy areas are used to seeing this when driving from city to city.  The city of Cleveland doesn't have the personnel, money or equipment to clear the roads as quickly and efficiently as the suburbs.  My sister lives 10 minutes from my house within the city.  She lives in the middle of her block which is all residential.  When there is a substantial storm, her street is usually not plowed for at least a couple of days, so, no matter how diligent she is about clearing her drive, she will inevitably get stuck in a drift in the middle of the street.  Meanwhile, I live in a middle class 'burb and, while the residential streets don't get done as frequently as the main thoroughfares; I can reliably expect the street to be plowed within hours of a huge snowfall.  She will sometimes come and spend the night when a big snow is predicted to avoid getting trapped in her house for days afterwards.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m so excited the vaccines have started. I watched the first person in NY get their injection today on tv.  It brought tears to my eyes. I’m so grateful. 

I watched online with some coworkers, we're all a little misty.  Please, please, please, let this be the beginning of the end.

thanks science.jpg

• Love 24
56 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

My knee jerk reaction to politicians getting the vaccine is negative, but OTOH perhaps people seeing their elected officials getting vaccinated might "legitimize" it for people who are wavering about whether to do it.

This makes sense, but my opinion is that anyone, especially those in the public eye, who downplayed the consequences of this virus and/or refused to wear a mask goes to the back of the line.

FWIW, I just read this morning they’re supposedly putting the White House vaccinations on hold. Guess the PR backlash hit home for once.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

This makes sense, but my opinion is that anyone, especially those in the public eye, who downplayed the consequences of this virus and/or refused to wear a mask goes to the back of the line.

FWIW, I just read this morning they’re supposedly putting the White House vaccinations on hold. Guess the PR backlash hit home for once.

From what I understand, somebody tweeted a warning to the White House staff that they should decline the vaccine.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I know it seems backasswards to 'reward' those who scoffed and didn't take preventative measures, by giving them the vaccine. But OTOH those are rich powerful people who have employees working in their homes who don't have a lot of choice about being exposed to whatever is going around in there (and yes I'm thinking of "official residences"). If the vaccine given to the "big shots" could have the effect of protecting Secret Service agents and others, then give it to the guy(s) and women who they are guarding or working for, in either official or private residences.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

How about we just give it to the household staff and secret service? God knows they’ve earned it.

I agree with this 101%! Didn't mean to suggest they should have a lower priority, just that ANYTHING has to be better than what they have been enduring since this pandemic started. And I was hoping that "White House" vaccinations would include all the household staff and agents. And now, to tiptoe back from the verge of being "political," I hope the rollout of the vaccine goes without too many hiccups, and that the folks whose work makes it possible for me to shop at the grocery store, get it as soon as they can.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

My bet is on Justin and Claire getting back to Texas as soon as they can. I would not be the least surprised if being featured on Counting On post wedding was contingent on moving back to Arkansas. TLC having to film over three states for the foreseeable future is probably less than ideal, especially if they're even half assing the COVID precautions (constant testing of crew, etc). This isn't 90 Day Fiance. The Duggars are no longer their cash cow. TLC isn't going to add another expense for the Duggars. Even E! finally said no to the Kardashians (allegedly).

A lot of signs are pointing to a major programming change on the horizon at E! with the amount of programs they cancelled within a very short timeframe.  It also seems likely that the Kardashians left because they followed the lure of a larger offer elsewhere.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Zella said:

There are some pretty infamous pictures from a few years ago showing the Missouri/Arkansas border. The winter weather budget discrepancy is noticeable. LOL

I found this one, but I could swear I've seen more of them.

UKR5MeY.jpg

i could never drive on that!!!   cali sunshine is all i  know. 

• Love 5

Mindthinkr, good for you, I'm proud of you! Don't let Mr. Chemo try to trick or guilt you into falling back into his old ways. You've done more than enough for him!

I'm misty eyed, too, over the start of the vaccine rollout. And pissed about certain political officials getting it before others. I just hope the production facilities can keep up and get as much produced as quickly as possible. 

• Love 12

Starting to get news updates on my phone--at least 3 of the major hospitals in the NWA metro area have received vaccine shipments and plan to start giving them to health care workers this week. Not sure when my county will get their first shipment. We don't have an ICU, so hospitalized COVID patients are automatically transferred to the larger hospitals in NWA (or to Springfield, MO). We do have 2 small hospitals and some COVID testing sites. Hoping those people can get vaccines soon. 

• Love 11

We had an early snow in October and nothing since and are very overdue for a major snow.  I'm skilled at driving in the snow, but I've had several extremely harrowing experiences driving home in a bad snow storm in rush hour traffic and so I'm so glad that I will continue working from home this winter.  I drive a small front wheel drive car and live on a dead end street with a steep hill to climb to get out, so usually have times I can't make it out until either the city trucks clear it or it gets paths made by big four wheel drive vehicles.  If I can make it off my street, I can pretty much make it anywhere.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Speaking of vaccines, I got my 2nd shingles vaccine today. Hoping for very few side effects!

The only negative side effect I had from my second shingles shot was a very sore arm, like from a tetanus shot and some swelling at the site of injection.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, skipnjump said:

The only negative side effect I had from my second shingles shot was a very sore arm, like from a tetanus shot and some swelling at the site of injection.

Mr. M and I are scheduled to get our second shingles vaccine on December 30.  After the first shot, we both had very sore arms, body aches, and I had a headache.  Mr. M ran a low grade fever.  However, based on what I've heard from people who have suffered through shingles, a few hours of not feeling well is a very small price to pay to avoid the agony they describe, which often lasted for weeks.  Not looking forward to the second shot, but I'm grateful that we won't have to be concerned about getting a painful case of shingles.

• Love 20
10 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Mr. M and I are scheduled to get our second shingles vaccine on December 30.  After the first shot, we both had very sore arms, body aches, and I had a headache.  Mr. M ran a low grade fever.  However, based on what I've heard from people who have suffered through shingles, a few hours of not feeling well is a very small price to pay to avoid the agony they describe, which often lasted for weeks.  Not looking forward to the second shot, but I'm grateful that we won't have to be concerned about getting a painful case of shingles.

I'm glad to see this discussion. It reminds me that I want to ask my doctor about this vaccine. I had a shingles vaccine at least twelve years ago; it was a single dose. I believe this new one is considered to be more effective. After seeing what some friends and relations have endured from shingles, I want the best protection I can get!

• Love 13

Take it from a shingles survivor...get the vaccine. I was “too young” to qualify at that time...it started with severe pain in my left elbow, spread down my arm, through the left side of my chest, into the left side of my upper back, and the left side of my face. I ended up vomiting in the ER while they did a workup for a possible heart attack and a pulmonary embolism. Nope, “just” shingles. THE PAIN. I never felt anything close and never want to again.

I was flat on my back for a month and it took two years for my left eye to recover...the pupil couldn’t constrict normally. Good times.

So if you can get the vaccine, I can’t recommend avoiding shingles enough.

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Tikichick said:

A lot of signs are pointing to a major programming change on the horizon at E! with the amount of programs they cancelled within a very short timeframe.  It also seems likely that the Kardashians left because they followed the lure of a larger offer elsewhere.

Didn't they sign a deal with Hulu or one of the other streaming services? The rumor mill is that Kardashians were asking way more than what E! was willing to pay when they were negotiating. E! is in a sorry state as it is, although a lot of TV channels are in the process of rebranding right now. 

My point in the Claire and Justin thread is every network has their limit and every reality TV family will either have to make concessions or walk.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I'm glad to see this discussion. It reminds me that I want to ask my doctor about this vaccine. I had a shingles vaccine at least twelve years ago; it was a single dose. I believe this new one is considered to be more effective. After seeing what some friends and relations have endured from shingles, I want the best protection I can get!

I originally had the single dose vaccine and when the 2 dose shingles vaccine came out, my doctor recommended it. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Jeeves said:

You'd think I'd have learned the skill after 40 years living here in Colorado, lol. But I lived in Houston from age 10 to nearly age 30, which of course is when I learned to drive with nary a snowflake ever, and I swear I'm still wary of winter driving around here. I don't think I'd have managed in North Dakota, and I tip my hat to your prowess. @Zella

My husband grew up in Jersey Village. His family always went skiing every winter, and his dad and uncle taught him how to drive in the snow and ice. He taught me when we moved to NoDak. I had to learn. Otherwise, I would have been stuck in a house for basically months. We had to have a winter survival kit in the cars too, per the Base Commander. It was harrowing, but I got good enough to where I was comfortable that I could get back and forth on base. Driving into town was done rarely. Highway 83 is awful in winter. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Take it from a shingles survivor...get the vaccine. I was “too young” to qualify at that time...it started with severe pain in my left elbow, spread down my arm, through the left side of my chest, into the left side of my upper back, and the left side of my face. I ended up vomiting in the ER while they did a workup for a possible heart attack and a pulmonary embolism. Nope, “just” shingles. THE PAIN. I never felt anything close and never want to again.

I was flat on my back for a month and it took two years for my left eye to recover...the pupil couldn’t constrict normally. Good times.

So if you can get the vaccine, I can’t recommend avoiding shingles enough.

My husband had shingles about 18 years ago. He had them in his upper thigh. Worst pain he has ever had. He has a very high pain tolerance(he has Crohn's Disease and the flare ups are bad, but don't bother him much), but that he couldn't handle at all. I felt awful for him and it just looked awful. He missed quite a bit of work from them.

7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

First US covid vaccine was given this morning in NY!

It truly was exciting to see that today.

7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Going through social media today and seeing all the videos of those health care workers getting injections made me have a glimmer of hope. It was a moment of being so thankful for the mass work that went into developing these vaccines. I have not read any comments on any stories because they are so filled with negativity and hate. My mother in law told me that if any of these people that will refuse to get the vaccine for themselves, should know what it was like when the polio vaccine came out. She said she remembers her mother taking her and her sister and getting in line as soon as she could to get them all vaccinated.

My husband and I have no issues waiting for all those healthcare workers, elderly patients and those in nursing homes to get their vaccines first. They are the important ones. Both my parents(my dad will be 81 next month and my mom 80 in April)had Covid back at the end of October. My dad ended up in the hospital for 5 days. He did not need a ventilator, thank goodness, but he was on oxygen the whole time. They gave him the medication Trump(this has no political point at all, just know he had it and that is what the doctor told my dad it was)had and he felt better quickly after that. He still has some side effects as far as appetite and lack of energy here and there, but he is doing so much better. My mom never had to go into the hospital, but took a good month to feel better.

My husband has worked this entire time with the only time off being vacation time he had to use up. He works in a warehouse with at least 80 other people. At one point they had 17 people gone in one day(within the last month)with either Covid or being exposed to it. One person that caught it, he was in very close contact by that person giving him a ride to pick up a work truck(45 minutes one way). He had to get tested and it was negative. We live 3 1/2 hours from family. We went home for the first time since last March over Labor Day. We will not be back for Christmas and don't know when the next time we will be there. My parents live in independant living and no way can we risk their health again or anyone else there. They have been locked down to visitors twice now and I'm sure there will be another time or two yet.

• Love 9
On 12/13/2020 at 9:24 AM, Jeeves said:

For this Christmas: the 2020 Dumpster Fire ornament.

2020dumpsterfire.thumb.jpg.b998b175817f29913fd2e0b9b09ed85a.jpg

Instructions for making it: https://www.instructables.com/2020-Dumpster-Fire-Ornament/

TBH I don't sew, and I'm not into crafts. But I'm looking at it and thinking, hmm, somehow the "dumpster" part could be done better. Anyway it gave me a little chuckle this morning. 

That's cute! I almost bought this one.😁

(The light in the flames flicker..but the gif was too large to load in here)

rps20201214_165808.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

And as an addendum to the conversation about driving in snow, I just found out that we're under a winter storm watch on Wednesday. 5+ inches. My kids are stoked. 

Us too. A nor’easter is on its way. 6 - 12 inches Wednesday through Thursday.

• Love 3

Me too on 6-12 inches on Wed/Thurs. I need to try the snowblower tomorrow (I’ve started it once for the season so fingers crossed). I also need to put covers on a couple of my small bushes next to the driveway, or they will get buried when I shovel the driveway. 

• Love 7

We had rain this morning in SoCal.  I had to go out and wanted to get to the pharmacy at opening, but also wanted to wait until the rain stopped.  Thankfully the rain cooperated.  The roads are so slick with the first couple of rains.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been trying to prepare myself to get sick.  I’m going to get shingles vaccine in the morning. I dread it, but can’t keep putting it off. 

Hey, maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised? First time I had a flu shot, I was miserable for 48 hours. Second time? My arm was sore and I was tired for a day, but that’s it. I’ve had worse hangovers...in my younger days, of course.😁

But I will reiterate...YOU DO NOT WANT SHINGLES. My husband contracted shingles in 2009...he still has pain and itching on that side nearly every day. Oh, and he got them again a few years ago...on his scalp. He had been told by the very small town clinic where we then lived that the vaccine wouldn’t be effective as long as he still had shingles pain. I would give a lot to have another chance at that decision or at least to have gotten a second opinion.

Honey? I will hold your virtual hand. But don’t risk going through this disease...it’s freaking awful.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

We had rain this morning in SoCal.  I had to go out and wanted to get to the pharmacy at opening, but also wanted to wait until the rain stopped.  Thankfully the rain cooperated.  The roads are so slick with the first couple of rains.

What cracks me up in CA is on the rare occasions there is a slight bit of rain during the summer, people wear their winter coats.  The mind set is, if there is any rain, it must be winter.  Never mind the temperature. It really is funny.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I miss going to Indiana for the holidays and having a white Christmas. 

Haven't seen snow since 1994. Hell, we barely see rain around here. Got some yesterday, and people go into panic mode on the roads! Ah, life in Cali. 😀

Where in Indiana, if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in Bloomington but we always went to Fort Wayne and Hoagland for the holidays since that's where my grandparents were. I've been in Northern California since 1994 and have only seen snow by travelling to it since (unless you count dustings that are visible on the peaks).

54 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been trying to prepare myself to get sick.  I’m going to get shingles vaccine in the morning. I dread it, but can’t keep putting it off. 

I had about 36 hours of feeling like a had a mild case of the flu with the first dose but no side effects with the second. My husband had no side effects from either one. Even with side effects, it won't be so bad and they'll be transitory. Good luck!

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Hey, maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised? First time I had a flu shot, I was miserable for 48 hours. Second time? My arm was sore and I was tired for a day, but that’s it. I’ve had worse hangovers...in my younger days, of course.😁

But I will reiterate...YOU DO NOT WANT SHINGLES. My husband contracted shingles in 2009...he still has pain and itching on that side nearly every day. Oh, and he got them again a few years ago...on his scalp. He had been told by the very small town clinic where we then lived that the vaccine wouldn’t be effective as long as he still had shingles pain. I would give a lot to have another chance at that decision or at least to have gotten a second opinion.

Honey? I will hold your virtual hand. But don’t risk going through this disease...it’s freaking awful.

Coming out of lurkdom to say thank you and everyone else for sharing their shingles stories. I had a mild case of shingles a few years ago but was too young for the vaccine 🙄. I just turned 50, so I should be a candidate now. With everything else going on I hadn’t thought about it, so appreciate the reminder.  The mild case wasn’t fun, I don’t want to experience a severe case!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I got my 2nd one at noon today and so far, no side effects at all! Just a slightly sore arm. 

• Love 13

random question: my tv is advertising that the duggers and other shows will be streaming on the new Discovery 'channel'. i dont exactly understand what i am talking about but lots of shows on many channels are now going to be part of this service which there is a fee to view per the commercials i keep seeing like on HGTV etc. does that mean the new shows on TLC wont be there and available to us or is this streaming thing showing reruns?  technology is pretty foreign for me -- thats why i have kids .....and grandkids!

2 hours ago, Absolom said:

loved it for the few minutes we had it.....i lovely rainy weather the best!

• Love 1

If you can get the shingles vaccine, get it. My grandmother had shingles in the 90s. She has a high pain tolerance and has repeatedly said it was the most miserable experience of her life. 

Subject change, but this made me laugh after all of our snow conversation the past 2 days. I have been watching some Little House on the Prairie lately. I didn't choose this one, but the episode today was "Blizzard." 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, Zella said:

If you can get the shingles vaccine, get it. My grandmother had shingles in the 90s. She has a high pain tolerance and has repeatedly said it was the most miserable experience of her life. 

Subject change, but this made me laugh after all of our snow conversation the past 2 days. I have been watching some Little House on the Prairie lately. I didn't choose this one, but the episode today was "Blizzard." 

I remember that episode!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kbo said:

Coming out of lurkdom to say thank you and everyone else for sharing their shingles stories. I had a mild case of shingles a few years ago but was too young for the vaccine 🙄. I just turned 50, so I should be a candidate now. With everything else going on I hadn’t thought about it, so appreciate the reminder.  The mild case wasn’t fun, I don’t want to experience a severe case!

I've been begging for the vaccine for the past several years because I had chickenpox when I was 5-6 months old. Since I'm nowhere near 50 I've been told no since they have no idea the efficacy of it of those under 50. My generation was the start of varicella vaccinations which may reduce the risk of shingles anyway. 

I was told to hug people with chickenpox. I asked where do I find these mythical people with chickenpox?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Us too. A nor’easter is on its way. 6 - 12 inches Wednesday through Thursday.

Some of the weather forecasts are actually saying 10 - 16 inches total. We generally get a bit less here than some other parts of the state, but still expecting a pretty serious storm. I do love a good snowfall, and we haven't really had one of those foot-plus ones in a few years.

• Love 6