Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

@beckie:  you posted a couple weeks ago you’d gottten a p/t job and were very excited.  How did that work out?  Are you still there?

also, when you were having phone issues you said you were on your husbands phone.  I sort of took this to mean he’s on your side of the bars now and handed you his phone to use.  Is he out?  Is he in some sort of anger management therapy?

I am absolutely addicted to audio listening.  I get my books thru Amazon because they tend to be a wee bit cheaper than straight thru audible and I have a set fee amount I won’t go over.  I get so sorely disappointed with a bad reader though.  I’ve ALWAYS had issues with being read to because I’m a fast reader and I can’t stand the pace some of them use.  But my PET peeve is the flat line readers.  The ones who say “the house is on fire!!!” With the same inflection as “and they all had cake”.  

when I go to browse for a new book, occasionally they have an audio book dump and I can pick up books for $2.99 and $3.99.  I buy up a bunch at those prices because if it turns out i hate it, I’m ok with ditching it.  

There was a memorable one where I could ACTUALLY hear the reader take a drink of water fairly often.  With ice tinkling and everything!  Pause, tinkle, sip, set down, tinkle, sigh, continue.  I didn’t make it through that one.  

im a solitary worker with very noisy equipment.  Blocking it with earbuds and a good story is awesomeness!  I’ve listened to allllll the podcasts I could possibly have had an interest in - I’m having to wait for the podcast community (come ONNNN Payne!!!) to find new stuff and catch up.  I like the ones that take several pc’s to tell the whole story.  I just wrote down a best of ‘20 list I need to browse. 

I don’t believe I have an auditory issue such as those listed - but I will say that (uh..., and-uh....., consistent habitual nose or throat clearing, “like I said” at the beginning or “and all” at the end make me stabby.  I end up completely distracted and counting the offenses.  A people pusher came to visit me once, trying to get me to commit to using his temp people.  He said “like I said” several times at the beginning.  [and as we’d had NO prior discussions, he’d never, in fact, “said” ANYTHING to me before!!!].  As the discussion moved along, the “like I said” got so rapid it turned into “likeisa”.  An utterly useless habitual thrash became an issue I couldn’t hear over. In the end I told him I would never be able to deal with him, as he’d just used the term “like I said” 2,367 times in 10 minutes (Which wasn’t true, as I didn’t begin to count until at least 3 minutes in).  And that he needed communication therapy to deal with the public effectively. 

Rude, maybe, but i’d want to know, if it were me.

Yes, I'm still at the job. It's the only one I've been able to find. Not sure I'm going to be able to make rent or bills next month, but trying not to panic.

No. Hubby is still in jail. He will be until January. Maybe longer. He left his phone here, so I'm using it until it goes out.

• Love 10
On 12/10/2020 at 6:29 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Well, that and I’m a huge fan of silence in general. I go into homes where the television is on continuously and I want to run away after ten minutes. Put me in a store with a loud soundtrack and I leave.

ARGGHHHHH - such a pet peeve of mine!  I don't mind if the tv is on, but turn it down!  It pisses me off to no end in my job as a customer rep to have people call in and the tv is BLARING in the background!  How on earth can they hear me or themselves?  And it's just polite to turn it down, at least give the illusion that you care about what I'm telling you.  That's what I've kinda enjoyed about my husband working these weekends, the house is quiet - and if I want I can listen to my music without competition from his background noise crap.

I do like podcasts, but tend to listen to the ones that are a companion to a program, like I'll Be Gone In The Dark or there's one called Foul Play where they delved into The Keepers - Who Killed Sister Cathy.  Good to listen to while doing dishes or folding clothes or decorating.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

One of our fire trucks is riding around town with Santa, stopping along the way for children to come out. 😁

You know it’s 2020 when my first thought isn’t, “awwww,” it’s, “MASKS!!! AND NO LAP SITTING!!! STAY SIX FEET FROM SANTA AT ALL TIMES!!!”

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

You know it’s 2020 when my first thought isn’t, “awwww,” it’s, “MASKS!!! AND NO LAP SITTING!!! STAY SIX FEET FROM SANTA AT ALL TIMES!!!”

Indeed! He stays on top of the truck. 😁

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

It really is far more afraid of you...it’s disoriented and has no experience with how to escape. Try throwing a thick towel over it, while wearing gloves, and scoop it up and throw the whole thing outside, towel and all.

You can also try putting a bucket over it, slide a sheet of cardboard under it, and then take the whole works outside, holding the card against the bucket with your hand. I’ve rescued a zillion spiders, two hummingbirds and a lizard that way.

This works with monster spiders too.

• Useful 1

I stopped following a local celebrity here (she's a hairstylist known for her extensions line) on Instagram because she basically acts like Covid doesn't exist. She's traveling, having Thanksgiving and Christmas parties with large groups of people, taking her mask off in her salon to take pics, etc. I followed her originally because she was an entertaining train wreck who makes tons of money but can't keep track of it, spends constantly and posts pics of everything, has multiple plastic surgeries a year and is open about all of it, and is just generally the exact opposite of me. It was stupid fun to watch. But the lack of Covid protocol has just made me angry and I'm not having fun watching it anymore. 2020 strikes again. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 14

I don’t save the lives of spiders, bugs or rodents.  In my ex-house, I walked into our kitchen from the breakfast nook once and there was the most ENORMOUS spider I’d ever seen in my entire life.  I’m in Georgia; no tarantulas.  But this dude had huge hairy legs.   I jumped 3 feet and said some select swear words.  My husband get up and walks over, acting like a big fat eye roll - and then HE jumped 3 feet and danced a little.  It was a beast.  He went in the garage and came back with a plank and tried to smush the intruder  into the cabinet.  Spider ran under the dishwasher.  Eventually he came out (and died).  

Another time (same house) we got a rat.  We had water and woods all around, and I wasn’t surprised to have a rat, but I was not happy about it.  He ATE half the bulb of my pony tail palm.  He left big rat poop on my dining room TABLE.  Lord have mercy.  One night, in the kitchen, I could hear him under the cabinet.  Underneath.  I told my husband (loudly, and with gestures) that he NEEDED to get in here and DOOOO something, that MEN take care of issues like RODENTS!!!!!   [doesnt that sound like an ad from a Sears catalog in 1946??).  Anyway, for emphasis, I kicked the cabinet.  The rat (who’d moved during my sermon) was apparently startled and FELL OUT.  I screamed SOOOO loud, sort of blacked out and came to in the laundry room, still hyperventilating and doing all sorts of aerobics.  It was ugly.  

I called an exterminator the next day and in 3 days, the rat was gone.  (I mean to rodent heaven).  The dumbass exterminator comes out and says “yep, it was a chipmunk, just like I thought”, holding it out for me to see.  I gaze upon his “chipmunk” who is massive, and who’s trailing a tail 8 inches long. I said “that’s no chipmunk”.  He actually sent pics to his boss and came back to tell me it was, in fact, a brown rat.  He’s a Norway rat, he said proudly.  “He’s a dead rat” I thought proudly.  

that was a fun house (beautiful, beautiful house - I loved it so much).  But all that water and dead wood and woodsy setting - we had an armadillo under our walk out front, fairly regular snakes in the yard, a green lizard on my moms drapes one night, the huge spider and assorted scorpions, and a tree frog who stayed with us a long time.  One night I was watching tv in the living room which sported a French type double door with no panes.  It was raining, and had been all day.  I hear a BANG on the door.  I flipped on the light and looked out - didn’t see anything.  Sat back down.  About 20 minutes later, BANG on the glass.  I look again.  Don’t see a thing.  About 20 minutes later, BANG.  This time, I opened the door to look - and found a quite dazed bull frog sitting there.  I took a pic of him, and probably posted it.   

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

You guys are so brave.  Also a hair to the left of smartassy.  But... me too. 
that spider was HUUUUGE.  Huge.  You just don’t know.  Like a mason jar lid.  No, no... a saucer!!!  It was as big as a saucer!!!  Well, no, maybe bigger!!!  It was a dessert plate!!!  With legs!!! You shoulda SEEN IT!!!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3

Beckie, I wish I had seen your post about the bat earlier. In my state, you can call the county animal control officer and they will come and get the bat.  

Viola Davis is truly amazing. Her talent is immeasurable. Just saw this new film she’s in produced by Denzel. Omg.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Beckie, I wish I had seen your post about the bat earlier. In my state, you can call the county animal control officer and they will come and get the bat.  

Viola Davis is truly amazing. Her talent is immeasurable. Just saw this new film she’s in produced by Denzel. Omg.

I didn't know that. If I see one again maybe I'll try them. As for the one I had, once I had the courage to try and get it out, it wasn't in the bathroom anymore and I'm thinking maybe it got out of the bathroom and out the way it came in (however that was).

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

You guys are so brave.  Also a hair to the left of smartassy.  But... me too. 
that spider was HUUUUGE.  Huge.  You just don’t know.  Like a mason jar lid.  No, no... a saucer!!!  It was as big as a saucer!!!  Well, no, maybe bigger!!!  It was a dessert plate!!!  With legs!!! You shoulda SEEN IT!!!

We had one of those show up in my house in NC when I was in high school.   I saw it and jumped up onto the nearest piece of furniture, the TV.  A few years later the trees around my house were cleared to make room for new homes.  I have never seen a spider that size since. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Crazy and historic morning. The vaccines are being packed in dry ice, boxed up, put on pallets and will soon be loaded onto trucks.  🤒 🤢😷💉🙂 🌞

This is our lives in the year of 2020.

Hopefully healthcare providers, first responders, and those at most risk will get first priority, and those who ignore the guidelines and gleefully spread it all around and cause others to suffer will be at the bottom.  Sorry if that's mean, but I"m just so tired of us "rule followers" sacrificing so much to stay safe and protect others, while some people (*aheM* Jeremy) have no problem putting others at risk and spouting holiness and God's love.

• Love 24

The best news for good news Sunday is the vaccine is getting shipped! 😅

I sorta met my boyfriend’s parents yesterday, but they’re elderly and high risk, so it was just a quick hello on the front porch with masks on. I was really happy to meet them, but disappointed that we couldn’t even have a meal together or talk. I mean, it was my boyfriend and I who insisted on the precautions, his mom especially wanted us to come inside. We couldn’t do that in good conscious, though, we both have to go in to work every day. Oh well, hopefully they’ll be able to get vaccinated in a few months and then we’ll be able to actually get to know each other a little! 

My other good news is that it was my mom’s birthday today, so we went over to drop off presents and my dad gave us some of his homemade German chocolate cherry cake. He slaved over this cake for days, baking all the different layers, whipping cream, making chocolate ganache — the whole deal. It was amazing. My dad has started doing some very elaborate cooking during quarantine, and wow has it been good. He made duck confit for Thanksgiving that was to die for.

12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Here is my good news for Sunday. I have not cooked for Mr Chemo all week. I have only seen him a few times of short duration. He had dinner at the non-maskers house Saturday night because he “needed to get out”. I have told him one more stunt like that and I will refuse to see him period. I think he knows something is up. I had 15 bales of pine straw that I hadn’t gotten to. He came over and spread it for me (it took him 2 days because he can only work so long and that’s ok by me). I was in bed recovering from the last two months of doing for everyone else. I had no idea I was that bone tired. Depending on if he isolates other than going in for his infusions, I may or may not have dinner with him later this week. I get that he’s lonely. Lots of us are, including me at times. I am just not about to get back into being his unpaid full time employee. So yay me. I have enjoyed eating what I want when I want and the cats were happy to join me in bed the few days that I needed to rest. 

So great to hear! 😁

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

My other good news is that it was my mom’s birthday today, so we went over to drop off presents and my dad gave us some of his homemade German chocolate cherry cake. He slaved over this cake for days, baking all the different layers, whipping cream, making chocolate ganache — the whole deal. It was amazing. My dad has started doing some very elaborate cooking during quarantine, and wow has it been good. He made duck confit for Thanksgiving that was to die for.

Happy Birthday to your Mom and your Dad’s cooking sounds divine. Save me a slice of that cake 🙂

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I am just not about to get back into being his unpaid full time employee. So yay me. I have enjoyed eating what I want when I want and the cats were happy to join me in bed the few days that I needed to rest. 

Hooray, you!!!!! I have been wondering how you were and if you were able to extricate yourself at all.

My friend, YOU ROCK. Keep on keeping on with your badass self!!!

• Love 15

Yay, @Mindthinkr!!! Thanks for updating us, and I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. 

I may have mentioned, oh, about a hundred times, that I don't much like winter. After realizing that COVID would keep me hanging out here at home this winter I got a set of snow tires put on my minivan. I had wondered how it would handle in snow. It's front wheel drive, and I just spent 20 years driving all-wheel-drive Subaru Outbacks, which are great Colorado winter cars. 

Today it's been cold, and we've had some snow, although by the time I got out the sun was out and it was warming up to the upper 20's and the streets were okay although the secondary and side streets had snow etc. on them.

My verdict after driving the minivan, with brand new Blizzaks on all wheels: it sucks at traction in even minimally snowy/slick conditions. I eased up to a traffic light on a street that wasn't buried in snow but had some on it. And - ugh.

Have you ever watched video clips of whole houses that have been flooded off their foundations and are "floating" downriver during massive floods? Handling that minivan on that street, approaching that slighty-downhill stretch, I felt more like i was navigating in a big house sliding along, than driving a vehicle.  Yes I got it stopped and no it didn't slide out of control but it seemed to want to.

This is going to be one damned long winter. That is all.

@Zella - that's pretty snow! I know, I've just dissed winter, but it can be pretty!

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Do you get snow often?

We got more when I was a kid in the 90s. It's usually some shitty sleet blend or just ice now. I don't think we've had a good snow of just snow for a few years. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am outside of Houston TX. If we receive that much snow the entire city shuts down. Of course it would be gone in two days.

Schools are already announcing they're closed tomorrow. The library where I work automatically closes when schools close. Unfortunately, Arkansas doesn't consistently budget for salt for the roads--and to be fair, many winters it isn't needed--so in addition to it not being something people commonly drive on, we don't usually have the resources to actually treat the roads. Less of an issue in bigger towns, but the state highway I live off of almost never gets treated and has stayed iced over long after everything else thaws. And the dirt road I live on never gets anything, though the dirt makes it less slick than pavement.* 

The local volunteer fire department apparently issued a politer version of "Stop joyriding and wrecking in the snow today, you morons!" on Facebook this afternoon. 

*Edited to add: Usually. I am still a little emotionally scarred from the day I had to walk uphill in the dark in the snow for a mile after my vehicle got stuck on the dirt road. That sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, but it's true! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7
Just now, QuinnInND said:

Driving in the snow is a learned skill. We had feet of drifting snow in North Dakota. Studded snow tires were required. Rarely had a snow day. Late start days mostly. 

I have a friend on another online forum who lives in New Hampshire and she has mentioned needing snow tires and that being an annual task. I get higher ply tires than normal for my vehicle due to the condition of my road but have never dealt with snow tires. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Driving in the snow is a learned skill. We had feet of drifting snow in North Dakota. Studded snow tires were required. Rarely had a snow day. Late start days mostly. 

You'd think I'd have learned the skill after 40 years living here in Colorado, lol. But I lived in Houston from age 10 to nearly age 30, which of course is when I learned to drive with nary a snowflake ever, and I swear I'm still wary of winter driving around here. I don't think I'd have managed in North Dakota, and I tip my hat to your prowess. 

Edit to @Zella - yep. I have two sets of tires for the vehicle though the snow tires aren't studded. And, despite my dramatics, I'm sure I'll get through this winter just fine. I know what you mean about your area not being equipped to clear snow from roads, etc. It's understandable but makes life tough until the snow melts.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Edit to @Zella - yep. I have two sets of tires for the vehicle though the snow tires aren't studded. And, despite my dramatics, I'm sure I'll get through this winter just fine. I know what you mean about your area not being equipped to clear snow from roads, etc. It's understandable but makes life tough until the snow melts.

There are some pretty infamous pictures from a few years ago showing the Missouri/Arkansas border. The winter weather budget discrepancy is noticeable. LOL

I found this one, but I could swear I've seen more of them.

UKR5MeY.jpg

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

It’s my fervent wish that every retail, grocery, and food processing worker be at the head of the line, right behind medical professionals, first responders and seniors in group settings.

Those people have put up with a ridiculous amount of risk and abuse while getting paid very little. Without them, nobody eats.

I just read that the White House staff are receiving the vaccine as top priority. That, my friends, is seven kinds of hypocritical bullshit.

🤯🤯🤯

Amen to all of that!  Couldn’t agree more. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Here is my good news for Sunday. I have not cooked for Mr Chemo all week. I have only seen him a few times of short duration. He had dinner at the non-maskers house Saturday night because he “needed to get out”. I have told him one more stunt like that and I will refuse to see him period. I think he knows something is up. I had 15 bales of pine straw that I hadn’t gotten to. He came over and spread it for me (it took him 2 days because he can only work so long and that’s ok by me). I was in bed recovering from the last two months of doing for everyone else. I had no idea I was that bone tired. Depending on if he isolates other than going in for his infusions, I may or may not have dinner with him later this week. I get that he’s lonely. Lots of us are, including me at times. I am just not about to get back into being his unpaid full time employee. So yay me. I have enjoyed eating what I want when I want and the cats were happy to join me in bed the few days that I needed to rest. 

Wow! I am just so proud of you! So sorry you needed to be in bed to get a break from caring for him, but you have made the first step! You should be very pleased with yourself. I hope you stay strong, keep the friendship casual, and not fall back into being his unpaid servant. Hope you feel better and can enjoy your new freedom. Hugs!

• Love 14

@Jeeves, I'm guessing you know this trick, but have you thought of throwing a couple bags of sand in the back of your van? Sometimes that is just enough weight in the back to help the van not to sway.

I grew up and still live in New England. I learned to drive in the snow in rear wheel drive cars - fun times. I've always had either front wheel or all wheel drive cars as an adult and fortunately either has been fine. Snow removal where I live is pretty good. In most snowstorms the highways are repeatedly cleared during the storms and the rest of the roads are cleaned up at least once during the the storms, and again at the end or shortly thereafter. If the storm is significant some side roads become tricky because the plows may only hit them once so they are slippery until the cars wear down the snow. And even then if its icy or cold the roads can develop ruts and potholes made from snow.

The one good thing about covid is I'll be able to choose whether to venture out during the snow, for the most part.

@Zella, your picture is beautiful. I really do love the peaceful beauty of snow, even more so when I don't have to clean it up.

• Love 6

@GeeGolly, you've been reading my mind, lol. Yesterday I thought about putting something heavy in the back of the minivan to see if it would help with traction. Front wheel drive is great but it's also helpful if the back of the vehicle is behaving nicely.

I may reinstall the two second row captain's chairs which I took out to make room for camping; they weigh at least 50 pounds each. (The third row seats are in there all the time; they just flip down to get out of the way.) Sandbags are a good idea too. I just need to get a grip. Plenty of people drive around all winter in those vehicles and I'm sure I'll be fine. Like you, my need to drive around has been cut way down by the pandemic so it's not like I'm out there day in and day out regardless of the weather. 

Edited by Jeeves
punctuation and more words
  • Love 6

When I lived in Vermont I kept a bag of kitty litter (good for getting traction if your stuck and then if not used for snow emergencies, it it can be used for the kitties) over one back tire and a bag of sand over the other (equal weights). I also kept a small shovel, a good warm blanket, some water and some granola bars as well as peanut M&M’s. Also those hand warmers, extra gloves, and a scarf. If yours get wet trying to get out of being stuck they no longer keep you warm. You never know when you are going to slip off the road there or get stuck. If you are on a back road the time can take longer as they are usually plowed last. I have seen on the news where having these things will help you survive. Back then we also had those tall antennas and a bandana tied to one would signal help is needed. This was all pre-cellphone time. Be safe everyone. I see a big storm is headed to the Northeast. 

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

It’s my fervent wish that every retail, grocery, and food processing worker be at the head of the line, right behind medical professionals, first responders and seniors in group settings.

I've just watched this video with a lot of science-y lowdown on the vaccine. About 13 minutes in he discusses the rollout parameters. It seems that food and agriculture workers are in the second tier which is good news. My knee jerk reaction to politicians getting the vaccine is negative, but OTOH perhaps people seeing their elected officials getting vaccinated might "legitimize" it for people who are wavering about whether to do it. The YouTuber is an MD, a practicing pulmonologist. I subscribe to his channel and find it informative.

EDITED later - I got confused for a minute. The above video isn't his latest but has the distribution information I mentioned. Here's his latest one posted today:

Sorry I got confused.

Edited by Jeeves
YouTube confusion
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Zella said:

There are some pretty infamous pictures from a few years ago showing the Missouri/Arkansas border. The winter weather budget discrepancy is noticeable. LOL

I found this one, but I could swear I've seen more of them.

UKR5MeY.jpg

That's hilarious!

Our street, here in CT, actually winds its way between two towns (across the street from us is, literally, the next town over). There have been times - Mr Jyn once happened to be driving behind a snowplow that did this - that they would have the plow down to clear the road,  raise it back up for the distance that the road went into the next town, then lower it when it came to our town again. Several times over the  two and a half mile stretch of road until it got to the bottom of the hill and turned off. It's a tricky drive with snow on the roads, as most of the curves seem to coincide with the steeper parts of the hill. Luckily, though, there are four different ways to approach it depending where you get off the highway, so there have been times that we gave up on trying to get up the hill in one direction, got back on the highway, and tried a different route. 

• Love 6