Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 12/21/2020 at 1:26 AM, Nysha said:

My good news for Sunday is I slept for 9 hours last night! I have had insomnia since my mom passed last January. My doctor put me on Trazodone and upped the dosage 3 months ago. It will put me to sleep, but not keep me asleep. It's been a rough 11 months, but I can feel my depression slowly lifting. 

I just recently started on trazadone because of my ongoing insomnia.

I'm catching up on this forum at 4:30 am, so it's not really working so far.

• Love 2

Merry Christmas!

We'll be having an even more abbreviated Christmas than we thought and I'm totally okay with that! We're having some crazy wind and rain this morning, which unfortunately, melted the foot of snow we got last week, so no white Christmas here.

Pandemic Christmas 2020 will go down in the books like never before. I hope everyone has the best day possible!

I'm not sure if you celebrate Christmas @lookeyloo, but some extra hugs for you.

Warmth, love, peace and hugs to you all!

• Love 10

Merry Christmas everyone!!🎅🤶🍪🎄

It will definitely be a different one for our family from wearing masks & social distancing to gifts that haven't arrived yet. But we'll make the best of it as well as we can.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 11
On 12/24/2020 at 12:50 AM, jcbrown said:

Thank you. I recognize that one of the things I really crave in this situation is other adults to validate my choices so your comments actually mean a lot to me. Yes, the staff is very discrete but they were there when their colleague was fired for her spectacular lack of judgment so I think they completely agree with our choices. I mean, the administration  was glad we only talked to the police and didn’t sue when this all happened...

From my perspective, nurses and other caregivers really appreciate knowing a little background on their patients including things like who should be prevented from visiting.  This is especially true when the patient isn't able to provide that information because of their illness or anesthesia.  They also really do not mind being labelled as the bad guys and taking the heat from the unwanted family or friend in order to maintain peace and safety for their patients.  

On labor and delivery, back in the dark ages before COVID, women in labor could have as many visitors as could fit in the room. Many times, women would contact the entire group of friends and family when they were admitted and it would be a revolving door with people coming in and out as they pleased, often not seeming to notice that the woman was in pain, or vomiting or exhausted and simply not wanting all the commotion.  The nurses were pretty good about sending everyone out of the room for a minute to change the bed or whatever and asking the patient how she felt about the crowd, did she want them to go away?  Anyone in particular?  Then, she'd step outside and be the bad guy and tell them the mom to be was resting and no visitors for the next couple hours while pointing to the waiting room.

True story: Not too long before I stopped doing deliveries, I was taking care of a woman who was pushing and ready to deliver.  There were about a dozen people in the room, her mom and boyfriend and then a bunch of people in their late teens and early 20's; friend of the soon to be mom.  As the head was crowning, there was a guy standing looking over my shoulder giving a detailed play-by-play on his cell phone.  He told the person on the other end, "I'm at the hospital with my girlfriend, a friend of hers is having a baby.  You should see what a mess this is!"  I told him to be quiet, I needed to concentrate.  If I hadn't, I think he would've been snapping photos.  I don't think he even knew the name of the woman in labor.

Edited by doodlebug

I think that 2020 has brought the relationships with some of my good friends much closer.  It’s amazing.  I hope that continues post covid.  The family situation has been unusual though....I hope things improve on that end.  Trying to stay positive, enjoy the holidays and bring in happier times. ......

We had snow flurries this morning, but I was still asleep. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13

Merry Christmas to all my wonderful friends here on this forum. I hope you all find some peace and happiness today whatever you choose to do. My thoughts are with everyone that lost a family member this year. I hope you can find some comfort in your memories. Hugs to all of you spending the day alone. 

• Love 19

Merry Christmas, Peeps! 🔔🎉🎅🎁🎄

I've already sobbed through the ending of It's a Wonderful Life and am now on The Bishop's Wife. Daughter # 3 called and Mr. BetyBee has been chatting with her for an hour! We miss our girls! But we're thankful to have them and that they are healthy.

I hope everyone has a peaceful Christmas day, filled with love, even if from afar. 🥰

• Love 14

Merry Christmas! 

I just watched "Soul," the Disney/Pixar film that was released today on Disney+. I sobbed my way through the last few minutes of it. I loved it. I've already talked on the phone to an out of state relative and will reach out to more later today. Best wishes to everyone. I'm actually very glad to be home and safe today.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Merry Christmas! 

I just watched "Soul," the Disney/Pixar film that was released today on Disney+. I sobbed my way through the last few minutes of it. I loved it. I've already talked on the phone to an out of state relative and will reach out to more later today. Best wishes to everyone. I'm actually very glad to be home and safe today.

My mom and I are watching Soul right now!

• Love 11

Merry Christmas to my online support group and very good friends! You are all so kind, smart, funny, and lovely, and I appreciate you more than I can say.

Mr. Wiser and I walked the dogs around the deserted mall this morning and are going to watch “Meet Me in St. Louis,” this afternoon because we’ve never seen it. Dinner will be roast lamb and potatoes and champagne, assuming I don’t screw it up, in which case it’ll be...champagne. What could go wrong?

Have a wonderful day, all of you...

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'll have to check that one out. I've been binge watching Hallmark movies and I can't take any more plaid shirts, precocious kids, mills needing saving or people baking cookies. I've reached my limit.

It does kinda make you want to get out your Doc Martens, dye your hair jet black, get a tongue tattoo and go live in the basement after a while...

• LOL 18
  • Love 1

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁 I’m spending the day at home with my boyfriend and my dog. My dog loooooves her gift (a bandanna) and enjoyed opening my presents from my boyfriend, too. Ah well, at least she was in the spirit. We’re eating delicious and very fancy snacks, and will probably order Chinese later. A very quiet holiday but hopefully a nice one. Best wishes to all of you here in Small Talk, you’re a wonderful group and I’m so glad to be here, too.

• Love 17

Merry Christmas, y'all! You are always a most welcome oasis of sanity, intelligence, and humor for me.

Having a very quiet but good Christmas here. I cried my way through It's a Wonderful Life last night (my Christmas Eve tradition), and that's about all I can usually stand, holiday movie-wise. 

Everyone please stay safe and take care! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 18

Our first and hopefully last masked Christmas with dinner by Zoom is done. Still very joyous, fun, loving and warm. As my mom would always say, it just tickled my fancy.

I wish I could share the way I'm feeling with all of you, because you all deserve a little piece of it.

• Love 18

Kids woke us up at 4:30 this morning and told to go back to sleep. They came back at 5:15 so we got up (it sounds early, but we're normally up that early for work). Had all our presents done by about 7 am. Since then it's been a pretty peaceful day- texted with my sister, had a large charcuterie spread for lunch, watched my eldest play new games Minecraft and Pokemon and played with the Hatchimals with my youngest. My grandmother passed away a few years ago, and unlike many of my cousins, I didn't fight for her stuff. My mom put her foot down and said I was getting the big charcuterie tray because I was always the one who helped her pile homemade pickles and whatnot on each holiday. Today is the first day I've I've able to face using it, and it was really nice to feel like she had a part in our holiday. 

Husband and I are hoping to retreat to the sun porch later so he can play one of his new games and I can test out the gaming laptop he surprised me with. I took vacation time to be off the whole Christmas break with them and I'm soo looking forward to it. 

I hope everyone is having a lovely and relaxing day! It's a strange Christmas but it's been a nice one anyway. 

• Love 22

Merry Christmas to those celebrating today. It may not be your usual celebration, but I hope it is a good day anyway. 

@jcbrown , I’m so sorry about your father. 

My son got me the perfect sweatshirt that encompasses my year, including the Friends reruns I watch at bedtime every night. Unfortunately, it’s way too big so I will have to wait for him to exchange it. 

CA23D175-07E1-4099-90EA-8944CBA0F77F.jpeg.345950e0575a0602d189ddb65efa7cb8.jpeg

Edited by EVS
  • Love 23

Merry Christmas to all of the Small Talkers who celebrate and happy Friday to those who don't! I'm so grateful for this wonderful little community and all of the people who contribute. You've all helped make 2020 a bit brighter, throughout all of the darkness this year. 

lookeyloo, and others suffering today, I hope you feel the love and comfort being sent your way today and every day.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, beckie said:

Merry Christmas!

Hope yours was great!

I tried to prepare for being alone today so that it wouldn't be so hard. It was. It sucks.

Sending you a monster hug...things will be better someday, sweetie. I promise promise.

• Love 10

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm flying solo (with the kitties) as Mr. Woodhouse is working at the hospital. He'll be home around 10 at which time we'll do presents, such as they are this year. 

We tried calling the MIL, but got no answer (same with SIL). I had the nurses check her room; she was watching TV. Still not sure why she didn't answer her phone. They are going to test her for a UTI. 

Another day, another possible infection. *sigh*

• Love 6
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Another day, another possible infection. *sigh*

It's our life.  My mom just finished the Cipro for her latest UTI.  At least she was done before Christmas.  She can't talk on the phone any more so I leave cards or letters to be given to her along with treat bags. 

It was a bit normal and a bit odd today.  Due to medical appointments I have an exemption to the stay at home order and my daughter with the grandkids and her family quarantined so I could stay with them.  It's the first time I've stayed with the grandkids since February.  They really needed it too since they were used to having me around 25% of the time and it stopped abruptly.  We zoomed with my other kids to open presents.  Daughter kept food as normal as possible and tried to make the house more festive for the kids.  Santa drove through the neighborhood earlier this week and we're going to drive out and look at lights after dinner.

Here's to everyone having a better year starting next week!

• Love 14
4 hours ago, beckie said:

Merry Christmas!

Hope yours was great!

I tried to prepare for being alone today so that it wouldn't be so hard. It was. It sucks.

Same here. Not 1 person reached out to me. Not 1. I’m not going to reach out to people anymore. No one even wanted a xmas card from me. At least 2020 taught me I’m all alone and don’t count on other humans. 

Big hug to you! Stay safe!

1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁 Hope everyone has had as good a day as possible. We managed to find a PS5, so there were squeals of joy today.  We had to pry it out of their hands for bed.  We even got cookies for the pups. Walmart pet section.  Here they are waiting patiently. 

FB_IMG_1608946675050.jpg

Your pups are darling! Merry Christmas!

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Merry Christmas! 

We did too!

we're always on our own for the holidays so it was business as usual for us. Tried to call the in laws but they were confused as to why we’d be in touch and had nothing to say. No other family was in contact. We always have a nice time on our own but I can’t help wishing we had extended family to miss. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Same here. Not 1 person reached out to me. Not 1. I’m not going to reach out to people anymore. No one even wanted a xmas card from me. At least 2020 taught me I’m all alone and don’t count on other humans. 

My nephew (surprisingly) sent me a text---otherwise, I didn't hear from anyone, either.  No one else had the time, I guess.  So i do know how you feel.  Merry Christmas from me!

• Love 11

My sister and I managed to connect with Dad via three-way phone call this morning (video calls are out because he cannot see that well and I think they might confuse him). After that, she and I and my husband spent about two hours on a video conference opening gifts, which I'm glad we did. Made a small-scale feast for two late this afternoon. Connected with my best friend via email about our exchanged gifts (she is sad that she missed the feast as she would normally be here for X-mas). And then did the NYT crossword and watched Elf, which I really really needed this year. A low-key holiday here.

Happy holidays of choice to all my Small Talk friends!

• Love 16
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁 Hope everyone has had as good a day as possible. We managed to find a PS5, so there were squeals of joy today.  We had to pry it out of their hands for bed.  We even got cookies for the pups. Walmart pet section.  Here they are waiting patiently. 

FB_IMG_1608946675050.jpg

Your dogs are adorable.  They look very intent - maybe anticipating a treat?  😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

FB_IMG_1608946675050.jpg

Oh, they are so cute!

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates. 💚

Season greetings to those who don't.💙💜

I'm feeling very nostalgic, so I thought I'd share an old picture of two of my sisters and me on Christmas morning. 💗  (1958 or so)

021.jpg

i sent a similar pic from my childhood to my mom recently. she was on a rant about her spoiled great grandchildren who get too many gifts and have "everything" so there is nothing for her to buy them.

there were 4 kids in my family and our house on christmas morning always looked liked ChiCriket's pic, every single year. lots of the gifts we got were clothes and one set of grandparents always bought us shoes (because we always needed shoes). but mom needed a good shot of reality and she did admit we always had a crazy christmas and piles of gifts.

we did a zoom call with daughter in NY yesterday and facetime with son, DIL and the grands. we are used to a small christmas celebration by ourselves, so all was well.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I would have loved a card from you.

I've known for a while you can't count on others, but I keep trying because I think 'maybe it'll be different this time' and it's not.

Hugs, to you, too!

• Love 9
12 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My nephew (surprisingly) sent me a text---otherwise, I didn't hear from anyone, either.  No one else had the time, I guess.  So i do know how you feel.  Merry Christmas from me!

Thank you!

Its like peoples fingers will fall off if they text me once in a while to say hi. Today is my birthday let’s see how many people will even remember... 

Happy holidays Calico!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, beckie said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I would have loved a card from you.

I've known for a while you can't count on others, but I keep trying because I think 'maybe it'll be different this time' and it's not.

Hugs, to you, too!

Yes same here. I keep trying, same results over and over. People claim I want friends, I’m so lonely etc. I keep reaching out, keep being ignored. At least COVID is a good excuse this year. Meetup.com was a total bust for me. I went to at least 20 different groups, same results. 

Im glad internet exists so I can whine to someone lol. 

Happy holidays Beckie! Hang in there! 

• Love 8
On 12/25/2020 at 1:11 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Merry Christmas to my online support group and very good friends! You are all so kind, smart, funny, and lovely, and I appreciate you more than I can say.

Mr. Wiser and I walked the dogs around the deserted mall this morning and are going to watch “Meet Me in St. Louis,” this afternoon because we’ve never seen it. Dinner will be roast lamb and potatoes and champagne, assuming I don’t screw it up, in which case it’ll be...champagne. What could go wrong?

Have a wonderful day, all of you...

"Meet Me in St. Louis" is one of my favorite movies & I don't dare remove it from my saved movies & shows. I love the acting of the youngest daughter Tootie Smith played by Margaret O'Brien.  I love all the costumes & dresses as well. I think I may watch it again this afternoon. I agree with the poster who said she has had enough of the Hallmark Christmas movies.  I'm with her.

I had a great Christmas.  Our family was able to have its traditional brunch & gift exchange at my mother-in-law's.  My adult son really didn't want me to go since I am high risk.  I told him I really needed to see everyone for my mental health. (It was ten of us total.)  I have not been out of the house except for doctor's appointments & my nephew's outside wedding in September where we practiced precautions.   I told him we would be safe as we could be at my MIL's.  Our family consisting of me, my husband  and son sat on one side of the room  which is where we usually sit anyway. I was pushed back in a corner sitting in my wheelchair with my son next to me.  We wore our masks. The  other family members sat on the other side of the room, over six feet away.  I agreed with my son on Christmas Eve that we would take our food home & eat it there. He was worried we could catch something when we had our masks off. As you can tell, he is very overprotective of me (which I appreciate) but there comes a time when you have to bend the rules just a little bit. So after opening gifts which was so much fun this year, it was time to eat. I really wanted to stay so I told Son I would like to stay and eat there instead of going home. We could stay right where we were in the living room instead of being around others in the two dining areas. I could tell he wasn't  gung ho with the idea but agreed to stay & eat where we were seated.  We left shortly thereafter.  They also didn't have trouble lifting me in my wheelchair up & down my MIL's front steps.  Usually I'm able to stand & hobble my way up the steps but this year I'm wearing one of the foot boots because of sores on my feet. I'm not supposed to put any pressure on it so there's  no way I could have done the steps.  So the guys each took a side and lifted me up & down with no difficulty.  

My MIL came to our house later in the afternoon to enjoy our seafood Christmas dinner put together by my husband.  We had delicious Maryland crab soup, crab cakes, steamed shrimp and sides of scalloped potatoes, biscuits & rolls. We got everything from a local carryout seafood restaurant we go to often. I also enjoyed the restaurant's homemade sweet iced tea which I think is the best around (besides my mother's.)  We got a gallon of it & since I'm the only one who likes it, I've really been enjoying it. Plus we have plenty of leftovers.  Needless to say, we were all stuffed.

It was so nice to see & be with my husband's side of the family.  Some of the gifts caused plenty of laughs.  I got three jigsaw puzzles so that will keep me busy for awhile.  Santa also brought me gummy bears, my favorite.  It really hurts that they are one of Jill Dillard's favorites as well but I try not to think of that while enjoying mine.  My husband was also happy with the "old time" candy Santa brought him like Beeman gum, Bonomo Turkish Taffy (vanilla flavor) and Goetzes caramel creams in the flat trays.  He enjoys them more than a box of chocolates. Son of Barb got some of his old time favorites like  Pacifier Candy Pops and the hard candy sticks in his favorite flavors. 

So it ended up being a great Christmas, Covid precautions and all.  (Anything beats when I was in the hospital on Christmas a few years ago.)

Now I'm off to watch "Meet me in St. Louis" with a glass of sweet tea. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 16