Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

She must have a sad life if that is all she has time to do and that is they only way she can get attention.

Its a full time job being that kind of scamaramadingdong.   

I'm so sorry Scarlett45 - this year just needs to get itself over with.   I suspect with the new waves of Covid perking up any of the restrictions that have loosened up will go right back to being tightened up.   I still don't understand people that think this is all fake.   

• Love 9
(edited)

My rule about GoFundMe is I only donate if it is local and I can verify its legitimacy. There have been a couple of local fundraisers I wanted to donate to, but they ping my BS spidey senses, so I didn't. If there's ever an option to donate directly to a bank (or the funeral home if they're raising money for a funeral), that's usually the route I go. 

I have a friend from college who I'm pretty sure is pretending to be disabled. And I fell for it for about a year. 😞 It wasn't until I started comparing notes about her with someone else she was telling sob sad stories to that I was like, "Oh fuck I am so stupid." Anyway, she started a GFM earlier this year, and I claimed extreme poverty to avoid a brouhaha over it. I think she got $165 total when she asked for $100,000. LOL She was recently claiming to me that a doctor somehow dislocated her leg but it popped back into place before she went to the ER. But the ER could totally tell that it had be dislocated but she could miraculously walk on it and they didn't tell her to stay off her leg or give her a cast but she uses her husband's old crutches. It's just the most bizarre bullshit. I don't confront her because I have this morbid curiosity about how much more ridiculous her claims can be, but it really offends me that she thinks anyone is going to buy some of this. And it disappoints me, too, because I never would have taken her for a fraudulent liar. I have no clue if she was always this way and I was blind to it or if this is just a recent thing.

1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I get the gist of the Wanderwoman story, but can someone tell the whole story for the curious ones among us? 🤣

@GeeGolly's summary of Wanderwoman is excellent. I've fallen down the rabbithole reading archived blog posts about her previous alteregos and how people sussed her out then a couple of times pre-WW, and it's like reading a really unhinged novel. 

@Scarlett45 I'm really sorry about your godmother. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
(edited)
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Guys- I have been inside TOO LONG. I just found a twenty two year old attractive via a work zoom meeting. TWENTY TWO. He’s a damn BABY! (I’m 34)

But his skin care was on point and he wore this salmon shirt which bought out the warmth in his skin. 

I should be ashamed of myself!

When I was in my early 30s I had a rule that I could date people up to 10 years older or 10 years younger. And I did.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 16
12 hours ago, Sweeneyswt said:

I know a few of you for sure were around back during the wanderwoman scandal. Are there still a lot of people here who went through that live? I did stop reading for awhile when she was still posting. Well, I read about The Duggars, but I stopped that thread when the name changed. I felt so mean. 

Yes! I never trusted her and reported her to the mods, lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
16 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Yes! I never trusted her and reported her to the mods, lol.

My patience wore then when the Small Talk thread name was changed. This isn’t a place for each person to have their own thread. Start a blog. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)

Sadly, I discovered that some of the posters on one of the support sites that I used to frequent for people with dementia don't really have it. I wondered for years about some of the things they said and how things didn't add up.  Eventually, they admitted that doctors said they didn't have it. Still, they persist. I finally left the site. Apparently, there was no rule against imposters, as long as they didn't ask for money.  These people just seem to want a platform and sympathy. They need help, but, I just can't tolerate that. 

GREAT news! The t-shirt that wasn't supposed to arrive until August just arrived!  I love it. I just deleted the writing. It might be considered political, so, I won't include the slogan or the link.  It's great though. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

I broke my rule of "no delivery during the week while WFH". I am acknowledging that I had food to make something for lunch but I really didn't feel like it. So I ordered, taking a little work break, it should be here soon. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Zella said:

My rule about GoFundMe is I only donate if it is local and I can verify its legitimacy. There have been a couple of local fundraisers I wanted to donate to, but they ping my BS spidey senses, so I didn't. If there's ever an option to donate directly to a bank (or the funeral home if they're raising money for a funeral), that's usually the route I go. 

I have a friend from college who I'm pretty sure is pretending to be disabled. And I fell for it for about a year. 😞 It wasn't until I started comparing notes about her with someone else she was telling sob sad stories to that I was like, "Oh fuck I am so stupid." Anyway, she started a GFM earlier this year, and I claimed extreme poverty to avoid a brouhaha over it. I think she got $165 total when she asked for $100,000. LOL She was recently claiming to me that a doctor somehow dislocated her leg but it popped back into place before she went to the ER. But the ER could totally tell that it had be dislocated but she could miraculously walk on it and they didn't tell her to stay off her leg or give her a cast but she uses her husband's old crutches. It's just the most bizarre bullshit. I don't confront her because I have this morbid curiosity about how much more ridiculous her claims can be, but it really offends me that she thinks anyone is going to buy some of this. And it disappoints me, too, because I never would have taken her for a fraudulent liar. I have no clue if she was always this way and I was blind to it or if this is just a recent thing.

@GeeGolly's summary of Wanderwoman is excellent. I've fallen down the rabbithole reading archived blog posts about her previous alteregos and how people sussed her out then a couple of times pre-WW, and it's like reading a really unhinged novel. 

@Scarlett45

I know someone like that too a different crazy woman. I seem to attract unhinged liars haha. I keep in touch because their lies are so grand they can’t be true! And I need entertainment! 

@Scarlett45 I’m sorry for everything you are going through. Sometimes life sucks.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I broke my rule of "no delivery during the week while WFH". I am acknowledging that I had food to make something for lunch but I really didn't feel like it. So I ordered, taking a little work break, it should be here soon. 

You deserve indulging yourself.  You had/have hard times, so take good care of yourself.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Not if I fell for Wanderwomen. To be honest I felt sorry for her. She must have a sad life if that is all she has time to do and that is they only way she can get attention.

Same type who catfish. Mental illness of some kind. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Hugs, @Scarlett45

All this talk of Wanderwoman made me go back to take a look see. Very interesting! 

I'm home from the dentist and my mouth is still numb. I'm so hungry! I'm able to drink water without dribbling. Next up is soup! Wish me luck 😬

• Love 18
(edited)
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

That's so sad for Naya and her son. I swear, Glee has a giant black cloud hanging over it. So much drama and tragedy has hit the castDid

Edited by galaxychaser
5 hours ago, wilsie said:

For anyone who wants to find out about wanderwoman she started posting  on page 5 about the loss of one of her twins.  

I was reading here while she was posting. I was pretty sympathetic for a while but then it just started getting over the top. I took a break from this forum and when I came back she was gone and I'd missed the drama.  😥

Does anyone know on what page here it all started unraveling? 

• Love 7

Okay, so our spring and early summer here been quite cool and rainy. First, the slug population exploded...they are everywhere. They were munching on everything, even my daylilies and I didn’t think anything ate those. Fine. Pick ‘em off and sling them into the woods. No big deal.

Ahem. You know what likes slugs? Garter snakes. Now I know those of you in areas with real snakes are scorning me hard right now, but seriously, they have reproduced alarmingly this summer. While intellectually I know they eat garden pests and I should welcome their arrival, there are two problems:

1) My retriever finds them fascinating. As a result of being harassed by a large hairy doofus, the snakes emit a pungent mixture of urine, snake poop and musk. Pungent. As in, the dog STINKS and has to have his face washed every time. Thoroughly. He finds this objectionable.

2) My brain stem has refused to accept the information that the snakes are harmless. Thus, every time I run into one my reflexes kick in and I’m three feet off the ground squealing before I even realize it. Today when I encountered snake number four I was unfortunately carrying a very large mug of tea, which went airborne when I did and came back down...mostly on my head. I found that objectionable.

Am now searching on Amazon for snake repellent...😱😱😱😱

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

Omg.  I get how the snakes can be a little unnerving, even if we know they are harmless.  Years ago, I noticed a black snake in my driveway and yard.  I welcomed him, because, they are not poisonous and they eat rodents.  After, a couple of weeks, I came home one day, with my dog in tow, to find the 3 and one-half foot black snake lying on my bedroom FLOOR!  I was afraid of my dog attacking it and something bad happening, so, I calmly walked my dog out and screamed for a neighbor to help.  I soon had a neighbor and yard full of little kids all trying to get a peek.  Sadly, he coiled around a heater and had to be killed to get him out. I couldn't sleep well for a while after that. I like snakes, but, that was too close for comfort.  lol

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg.  I get how the snakes can be a little unnerving, even if we know they are harmless.  Years ago, I noticed a black snake in my driveway and yard.  I welcomed him, because, they are not poisonous and they eat rodents.  After, a couple of weeks, I came home one day, with my dog in tow, to find the 3 and one-half foot black snake lying on my bedroom FLOOR!  I was afraid of my dog attacking it and something bad happening, so, I calmly walked my dog out and screamed for a neighbor to help.  I soon had a neighbor and yard full of little kids all trying to get a peek.  Sadly, he coiled around a heater and had to be killed to get him out. I couldn't sleep well for a while after that. I like snakes, but, that was too close for comfort.  lol

Ugh! For me that’s a nightmare! I get tons of those lizards or geckos—whatever they are, they’re not cute! I’m terrified, and even more so when I find them in my house. 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Years ago we lived in Maryland in a heavily wooded community.  One summer we suddenly developed a frustrating mouse problem, so bad we were ready to call a professional.  That weekend, the dogs started barking so I went to the kitchen where they slept. (ususally it was a raccoon or possum on the deck.)  When I turned on the light a giant black snake slithered behind the fridge.  Couldn't find it.

Never saw it again and never saw another mouse again!

• Love 5

It's a good thing I live in Iowa, where there are no snakes ever. Just let me have my fantasy, ok? 😆

@Oldernowiser, I don't think I would ever set foot in my yard again so you're a far braver soul than I am! 

I'm going to blame @SunnyBeBe for the nightmare fuel tonight LOL I probably don't want to know how it got into the house. Good for you for staying so calm! I'm shuddering just thinking about it! 

We have lots of squirrels and rabbits, and we actually saw a woodchuck in our yard a couple of weeks ago. I'll stick with those, thank you very much 😆

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG snakes are my phobia. I don’t want them to be killed - I just never want to lay eyes on one  - dead, alive, or in a picture or movie. There are snakes in our subdivision. We had a little one curled around the thorns on a rose bush. Mr lookeyloo kindly untangled it and carried it to the lake.  In the house! I would have to move. Seriously. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
29 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

When I turned on the light a giant black snake slithered behind the fridge.  Couldn't find it.

I would have had to burn the house down, I swear. I can't with snakes or spiders, those are my two fears. 

Does anyone know on what page here it all started unraveling? 

Around page 95-96 on the thread, but huge chunks of posts are missing (I'm guessing the mods deleted a lot of stuff when it all unraveled).

Edited by emma675d
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)

I get how some people have reptile, insect, spider  aversions, but, I’m glad that I never felt that way. My grandmother taught me a love for these things when I was little. We would catch things and then gently release them. Of course, I’m always called to remove spiders, bugs, etc. while others are standing up on a chair. Lol However, I do have a thing about rodents. My grandma never exposed me to those. Lol I did have 2 hamsters once. 

I do have a healthy respect for snakes. I know two people who were bitten by copperheads. One almost died. My good friends baby brother. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I get how some people have reptile, insect, spider  aversions, but, I’m glad that I never felt that way. My grandmother taught me a love for these things when I was little. We would catch things and then gently release them. Of course, I’m always called to remove spiders, bugs, etc. while others are standing up on a chair. Lol However, I do have a thing about rodents. My grandma never exposed me to those. Lol I did have 2 hamsters once. 

I do have a healthy respect for snakes. I know two people who were bitten by copperheads. One almost died. My good friends baby brother. 

Funny you say this,  sunnybebe. I would have loved to be the way your grandma was. I have a 3 year old granddaughter and I can tell you, I’ve made a huge effort to not scream when I see the lizards when she’s around. It just doesn’t work, and I scream, so now my poor granddaughter does the same. I feel really bad about that. My daughter’s working on her with that.

• LOL 1

Stuff of NIGHTMARES!  OMG!  I don't dare think about this much, but I had some mid-sized snake in the house a few years ago; the cats alerted to it and my daughter got it out of the house,  I can get creeped out all over again if I think of it.

I don't really understand this phobia - I like lizards and don't mind spiders or bats and really nothing else bothers me in that way.

• Love 9

I mostly lurk here and seldom comment. I too am snake-a-phobic! I refuse to look at the TV or movie screen or pictures in books. When I was still teaching, I refused to take my class into the snake house at the zoo. Last week one of my dearest friends was bitten by a copperhead on her porch in the early morning. She jumped up on a chair and screamed and screamed for her husband who never heard her. She couldn't get down because the copperhead was still on the porch.It was still fairly dark outside but she forced herself to try to look carefully at it so she could identify what kind it was for the medical personnel.  I am not sure how long it took but the snake finally slithered off and she was able to get in the house to call 911.She spent several days in the hospital but " with time and patience " the doctor said she will be fine. She never received anti venom because the doctors said the side effects would be so bad. Fortunately or unfortunately she had been on strong steroids for a virus which attacked the auditory nerve in her left ear and caused her to lose her hearing. They think the steroids helped some with the snake bite. On a good note she has regained some of her hearing. This whole thing did nothing to dissuade me from my mantra, " The only good snake is a dead snake." Just kidding, I do realize that some snakes are helpful.........I just prefer they all stay far, far, far away from me!

• Love 10

A good friend of mine was bitten by copperhead last summer. He was gardening and never saw it, but felt it and saw the bite marks. Within minutes it had swollen a lot, so off to ER. They gave him LOTS of anti venom.  He sent me photos from the ER. He stayed a few days. This was in Raleigh. He returned to gardening, but wears gloves.

Many years ago a good friend’s toddler brother picked up a copperhead that was on their porch! He was bitten multiple times, got very sick, airlifted to Duke, And barely survived.  He recovered with no permanent injuries.

5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

A good friend of mine was bitten by copperhead last summer. He was gardening and never saw it, but felt it and saw the bite marks. Within minutes it had swollen a lot, so off to ER. They gave him LOTS of anti venom.  He sent me photos from the ER. He stayed a few days. This was in Raleigh. He returned to gardening, but wears gloves.

Many years ago a good friend’s toddler brother picked up a copperhead that was on their porch! He was bitten multiple times, got very sick, airlifted to Duke, And barely survived.  He recovered with no permanent injuries.

Wow!!! I’m so glad everyone recovered. 

Im not scared of snakes but being a city girl they are an abstract concept of danger. I only see them in the reptile house at the zoo. 

• Love 9

I will spare y’all from the snake pictures that I have taken in the last few weeks. For some reason it has been an explosion compared to prior years. I had to call my neighbor because I was running down my back steps and came upon one. He came over, took the thingy that I hang bird feeders from, and threw it into the bushes. I’m ok with reptiles as long as I know which species I’m dealing with. Y’all have some much scarier experiences. 

• Love 5

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out what type of hardware goes to hold up the shelves in a solid wood bookcase? I’ve been looking online and nothing looks familiar. I disassembled these shelves several years ago and now I can’t locate the pieces that hold the shelves  in place. I’ve searched everywhere.....

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out what type of hardware goes to hold up the shelves in a solid wood bookcase? I’ve been looking online and nothing looks familiar. I disassembled these shelves several years ago and now I can’t locate the pieces that hold the shelves  in place. I’ve searched everywhere.....

Like the pegs that stick in holes?

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

They work that way, but I think the pieces were metal, not wood. I can’t really envision them. I’ve only seen them once for about 5 minutes.

I’ve looked at these...but they don’t seem like they’re the ones......I know....it’s almost impossible to know without just checking them all out I guess.  It’s so frustrating. I’m hoping the old ones are just going to turn up.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve looked at these...but they don’t seem like they’re the ones......I know....it’s almost impossible to know without just checking them all out I guess.  It’s so frustrating. I’m hoping the old ones are just going to turn up.  

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Amazon sells brackets. I used those to fix my sisters linen closet. 

• Love 1

I bought a new ipad from the Apple store. I haven’t had an iPad in two years, and when I eventually upgrade to a MacBook Pro I can use side car for an extra screen. It’s fun to have a new toy. I’ve wanted one for a while but made myself wait until the Apple store was open. I didn’t buy an iPad pencil or keyboard. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, not you again said:

For the poster complaining about her husband's chewing. I'm the same way.  I CANNOT stand it!  I'm not sure where I saved this from, but I bet there's a kit on Etsy!

image.png.180c08f06400c71235c3df4378e4b118.png

You really are “my people”!!! My DH chewing irritates me so much I looked it up.  From WebMd:
“Misophonia is a disorder in which certain sounds trigger emotional or physiological responses that some might perceive as unreasonable given the circumstance. Those who have misophonia might describe it as when a sound “drives you crazy.” Their reactions can range from anger and annoyance to panic and the need to flee.  The disorder is sometimes called selective sound sensitivity syndrome.”

I don’t think I’m quite to the point of fleeing, but I’ve got the anger down pat! 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

What a conglomeration of topics in the past page and a half!! I don't think I can possibly touch on everything, but, to start, yeah, I was here for the beginning of the Wanderwoman fiasco, and remember GEML as well. I think I started doubting WW around the time that she found her husband was cheating on her, then discovered she had bone cancer around the same time. GEML never really pinged my radar; I actually found quite a few of her posts quite interesting, so minus a few points to me for gullibility, I guess.

And, yeah, cancer sucks! So sorry to hear about your godmother, @Scarlett45.

As far as crushes, I have been so prone to them all my life...And given that it seems, in retrospect, that most of the ones I had were focused on much older celebrities all the way back to my pre-teen years (I'm not sure that teen idols even really existed back when I was 8 or 9), I feel weirdly justified in becoming fixated on my share of 20-somethings now that I've hit my 60's. The way I see it, it's purely a matter of recognizing beauty, and what's beautiful to me at 8 years old is just as likely to still be beautiful when I look at it at 61. And since it's all in the realm of fantasy, who could possibly care what I choose to fantasize about? Besides which, most of my obsessions don't really go far beyond the aesthetic anyway...I just adore beauty in pretty much any form.

Can't recall what some of the other conversations were offhand....Snakes? Steer clear of them, but don't mind them as long as I know they are harmless...

I think that's about all I can think of.

• Love 10
(edited)

I know I’m going to dream about snakes tonight. They freak me out, but if there is a snake show on Animal Planet, I’m going to watch it. I suppose it’s like watching a horror movie to be scared, it’s the thrill of it.

I remember well the WanderWoman kerfuffle. I felt bad for the two posters (mother and daughter, I think) who exposed WW here. I got the impression that they got some flak for it, although I can’t imagine why. I think they stopped posting after that. GEML annoyed me with her know-it-all attitude; it felt like she was lecturing us, instead of being part of the conversation. The other person who seemed to be a scammer, the one who had the 2 grandkids and needed a computer for them was named sea-something if I remember right (it wasn’t seashell but similar). That was the most active I’ve seen any thread on the Duggar board except the Josh thread when that scandal broke. 

Now I’m off to look up different types of snakes on Wikipedia. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 5
  • Love 10

@Scarlett45-I'm so sorry to hear about your godmother.  You will be in my thoughts.
@SunnyBeBe, have you checked out Restoration Hardware?  For some reason, that was the first place that popped up in my head.

Many of you know, we live in Baltimore.  I've never come across any snakes in our area even with some dense woods at the end of our development.  Earlier this year, we did have a fox show up in our fenced backyard.  He just plopped himself in the high grass and started taking a bath.  So stinkin cute!  This week has been hellish.  And the weekend can't start fast enough.  I'm picturing a liquor store run in my near future.

• Love 11

I grew up with a prankster father, an older, and sandwiched between male cousins on both sides of my family.   I have zero aversions to anything squishy, slithery, bugs, spiders, rodents,  etc.  I learned early to show no fear, or else that fear would be exploited.  

A couple of years ago,  I was a chaperone for the high school youth group at my church.   The diocese here used to do a yearly youth convention and I got tapped to be the female chaperone.  Whoever was running it asked for volunteers to come up on stage for a bit, and I obliged my kids and went up.  The bit was a prank where we were blindfolded and asked to put our hands into a bowl to guess what was in there.  It was something like pennies,  cold spaghetti,  etc., and the final bowl we were told to take off the blindfold to see it was full of dirt and worms.  The joke being our reaction.  Well, the male chaperone, and various youth all squealed their surprise while I just stood there nonplussed,  my eyes saying, "is that all there is."  I really didnt care that I was just on stage fondling earthworms while wearing a blindfold.   I was upset I now had dirt under my fingernails and I was craving a cigarette. 

• LOL 16

I have found that shelf pegs are pretty much interchangeable.  I have several types in my house, and they seem to end up mixed on different bookcases and cupboards.  As long as they fit the hole, I use them.  I find they don't have to match.

• Love 4