Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

All of these stories are so sad. I'm concerned for everyone's health. I think that many schools that open up for in person attendance are going to shut down a few weeks later, when kids and teachers start getting sick.  It's horrifying.  I'm pretty sure some of my grandkids will be attending their small, Christian school. The principal says there are few enough of them that they can social distance and wear masks. I honestly feel that if stay at home and mask wearing had been adhered to by the majority of us, we'd be in a much better position to open schools and there would be far fewer deaths. I wish for good health for everyone. 

• Love 22

A clinician, in his 30s, I used to supervise received his covid test back. Its positive. He's worked from home since April, so he got it in the community somewhere. He's about 10 day into it and is doing okay, even with a couple of underlying risks. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I rarely drink, but I am currently drunk and on the porch away from my kids over the news the state is allowing in person school from the get go. I am in school, and I assumed my classes would all be online. I was going to enroll my kids in the virtual academy. Now they have to go to school, and an after school program, if my county still has in person school ETA only one of my four classes is moving to online 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

@Ohiopirate02 please say the white tshirt under the sundress is in style. I would rock that look. I have been waiting for it come back around.

@lookeyloo I check this forum every day so I don’t miss an update on sick son. You all are in my thoughts often. I’m glad you took the trip.

@Nysha I am curious if Asa made the baby name list. I love the name Asa, and I wonder if it is making a comeback.

@Scarlett45 chatting six feet away outside being bit by mosquitoes is a million times preferable to FaceTime. This introvert is over it!

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
  • Love 5

Man, I really feel for the teachers right now. I'm so sorry, @Christina87.  It feels like we're sacrificing children and teachers on the altar of the economy and it's so terribly wrong. As a mother of two young children, I've really been stressing this last week over what to do with my kids next year. My school district hasn't made any announcements yet and I'm hoping they don't open, even though that presents childcare challenges. I've been working from home since March,  and my employer keeps making vague statements about "getting everyone back in the office." They don't seem to have any definitive timeline for this which stresses me out - I need time to get used to big changes and I suspect they will not give that to us, given how they have handled other aspects of this pandemic. Even if I do continue to work from home, my job is very demanding and is not conducive to homeschooling at the same time. Not to mention my employer has stated that anyone working from home and taking care of children at the same time is setting themselves up to be fired. I don't know what they expected people to do when schools and daycares were shut down for months, or what they will expect if schools are all remote come fall. My mother has been my childcare since my children were born, and I don't know how we could homeschool and both work without her. But having her do that if both myself and my husband are working outside the home again (my husband cannot work from home) doesn't seem fair to her since she is 69 and thus higher risk. I have talked to her about not caring for the kids anymore if both me and my husband are back at work, regardless of what happens with school, or my husband potentially quitting his job to watch and school the kids - this would be pretty financially devastating because my pay has been cut as a result of the pandemic's effect on the business, but I'm not sure what other choice we would have other than daycare of some sort, if that's even available, and she absolutely will not agree or consider it. As in, fights back with full throttle fury and it's very nonproductive.  I don't want my kids in school or daycare either and ending up in that percentage of children who are going to die or have serious complications. Every choice is a terrible one. Every choice leads to financial, job, or health insecurity,  the consequences of which this country is not at all set up to mitigate.

To top things off on the constant stress, today I allowed my MIL and FIL to come over for a socially distanced outdoor visit. They live two hours away and haven't seen the kids for six months. They assured me they hardly ever go out except for doctor visits and would wear masks. Partway into the visit, MIL says they've started going back to church. What the hell. Had I known that, I would have said no way to a visit.  Church is one of the highest risk activities in almost every article I've read. And although they brought masks, they also brought food, and you can't wear a mask while eating. There were several moments where people got closer than six feet while maskless. I am still so upset over this and feel tricked.  And because it's my in-laws and we 're polar opposites when it comes to religion,  it is a tricky subject to approach with them. My husband is going to talk to them about it and try to make our feelings clear, but unfortunately the damage for today was already done.

I don't need or want to see anyone other than my daughters at this point. I am a total introvert, totally fine with staying home exclusively for as long as it takes. I wish I could quit my job and just stay at home in a complete bubble and homeschool my kids for the next year, and say, see you all in a year when there's hopefully a vaccine, or the rest of the country gets its head out of its collective ass. The stress of all this is getting overwhelming....it was easier for me to handle this pandemic when we were on full lockdown and there were no decisions to be made about going out or seeing anyone, to be honest. 

• Love 7

I know it must be so scary to face returning to a job with so much contact and not really knowing what’s going to happen. I’m not sure how I would handle it. The court system in N.C. has really done a great job at helping the public and the attorneys minimize their risks. I’m not sure about the courthouse staff, as I have had little contact with them. They are certainly dealing with less people on a daily basis. 

For those who are missing loved ones, I would explore FaceTime.  I love the weekly visits I have with a few of my friends. It helps so much. It’s brought us closer than we were before covid. I think we will continue our FT visits, even after covid resolves. 

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, thehorseofpower said:

Man, I really feel for the teachers right now. I'm so sorry, @Christina87.  It feels like we're sacrificing children and teachers on the altar of the economy and it's so terribly wrong. As a mother of two young children, I've really been stressing this last week over what to do with my kids next year. My school district hasn't made any announcements yet and I'm hoping they don't open, even though that presents childcare challenges. I've been working from home since March,  and my employer keeps making vague statements about "getting everyone back in the office." They don't seem to have any definitive timeline for this which stresses me out - I need time to get used to big changes and I suspect they will not give that to us, given how they have handled other aspects of this pandemic. Even if I do continue to work from home, my job is very demanding and is not conducive to homeschooling at the same time. Not to mention my employer has stated that anyone working from home and taking care of children at the same time is setting themselves up to be fired. I don't know what they expected people to do when schools and daycares were shut down for months, or what they will expect if schools are all remote come fall. My mother has been my childcare since my children were born, and I don't know how we could homeschool and both work without her. But having her do that if both myself and my husband are working outside the home again (my husband cannot work from home) doesn't seem fair to her since she is 69 and thus higher risk. I have talked to her about not caring for the kids anymore if both me and my husband are back at work, regardless of what happens with school, or my husband potentially quitting his job to watch and school the kids - this would be pretty financially devastating because my pay has been cut as a result of the pandemic's effect on the business, but I'm not sure what other choice we would have other than daycare of some sort, if that's even available, and she absolutely will not agree or consider it. As in, fights back with full throttle fury and it's very nonproductive.  I don't want my kids in school or daycare either and ending up in that percentage of children who are going to die or have serious complications. Every choice is a terrible one. Every choice leads to financial, job, or health insecurity,  the consequences of which this country is not at all set up to mitigate.

To top things off on the constant stress, today I allowed my MIL and FIL to come over for a socially distanced outdoor visit. They live two hours away and haven't seen the kids for six months. They assured me they hardly ever go out except for doctor visits and would wear masks. Partway into the visit, MIL says they've started going back to church. What the hell. Had I known that, I would have said no way to a visit.  Church is one of the highest risk activities in almost every article I've read. And although they brought masks, they also brought food, and you can't wear a mask while eating. There were several moments where people got closer than six feet while maskless. I am still so upset over this and feel tricked.  And because it's my in-laws and we 're polar opposites when it comes to religion,  it is a tricky subject to approach with them. My husband is going to talk to them about it and try to make our feelings clear, but unfortunately the damage for today was already done.

I don't need or want to see anyone other than my daughters at this point. I am a total introvert, totally fine with staying home exclusively for as long as it takes. I wish I could quit my job and just stay at home in a complete bubble and homeschool my kids for the next year, and say, see you all in a year when there's hopefully a vaccine, or the rest of the country gets its head out of its collective ass. The stress of all this is getting overwhelming....it was easier for me to handle this pandemic when we were on full lockdown and there were no decisions to be made about going out or seeing anyone, to be honest. 

That is just so horrible!!! How can they threaten to fire people for something beyond their control?! It makes me mad, because there are so many sensible, empathetic people in the world, and so few of them seem to be bosses. Why should it matter as long as the work is getting done? I really hope that one of you can stay home if you need to. I’m also dreading the financial crunch if I have to make that choice, but it might be worth it to buy food, gas, and not much else. And I would be saving on gas! Ughhhh. My biggest hope is that most of the kids at my school choose online, so very few come back in person. I also feel like you are in a no win position. It’s so sweet of your mother, but like you said, not fair to her if she gets sick. Hopefully she would be okay if the kids did online school, but I wouldn’t want to take a chance with my mother either! And I would also be enraged about the church thing. No easy answers for anyone right now. I feel like things were sooooo much simpler in 1918, when most families either lived on farms or had a stay at home parent (Sometimes two with rich couples!), and there was no question about online school. 

something I keep coming back to is my grandparents. I was researching NC school laws, and it wasn’t until 1942 that they added twelfth grade, and that they mandated the school be in session for SIX months! That means all four of my grandparents went through eleventh grade, for less than half the year each year, and turned out more educated than many kids today! 3/4 of them went to some kind of college, And one grandfather was a dentist, while the other was a pharmaceutical rep. They were very successful, intelligent people, despite attending one room schoolhouses, and later very small high schools, for way less time than kids today! I know it seems like kids are missing so much school, but it doesn’t when you consider how things were less than 100 years ago. People back in those days never would have considered sacrificing health and safety for school! I will say, though, that I feel like one of the little children forced to climb in to the machine in the early 1900’s factory for the almighty dollar, though!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am sorry for the distance between the cousins at this time. It’s great they can play games and talk on the phone. How old are the kids?

Parents are between a rock and a hard place. They maybe wish to practice XYZ preventative measures but other people their kids love may not feel the same way, and thus the kids won’t get the interaction with them. 

This is a lot to ask of teachers with NO MORE PAY. While I think a back up remote plan is a good idea (like what if there is a blizzard???), two curriculums at once?? It’s a mess. 

Thanks Scarlett 45 for the kind words. The cousins that are so close are 14 and 12. They both enjoy a lot of the same things. Before the pandemic both boys would spend Saturday nights at my house to spend time together. The 14 year old is SEVERELY  ( trademark Jill R) asthmatic and gets pneumonia easily.  His immune system is weak so my son and his wife have to be extremely careful. Fortunately my son was already working from home and his wife is a stay at home mom, so it has not been difficult for them. EXCEPT that my grandson and granddaughter have not seen any friends since early March. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

@Nysha I am curious if Asa made the baby name list. I love the name Asa, and I wonder if it is making a comeback.

@Marshmallow Mollie, 554 baby boys and 75 baby girls were named Asa in 2018. They are ranked 1190 and 2203 respectively in popularity.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Why did I pick now to try to get a teaching certificate?  I'm starting to wonder if my future ex husband is right and it was a dumb idea to go back to school at 59. I have to take my MTELs (Massachusetts teacher tests) by October to qualify for student teaching in January, and so far, I'm really sucking at the math practice tests.  I feel so COVID betrayed!

Ironically, I signed up for my particular masters program because they offered in-person classes. Not happening now--but no reduction in tuition! I need to find a math tutor!

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Thanks Scarlett 45 for the kind words. The cousins that are so close are 14 and 12. They both enjoy a lot of the same things. Before the pandemic both boys would spend Saturday nights at my house to spend time together. The 14 year old is SEVERELY  ( trademark Jill R) asthmatic and gets pneumonia easily.  His immune system is weak so my son and his wife have to be extremely careful. Fortunately my son was already working from home and his wife is a stay at home mom, so it has not been difficult for them. EXCEPT that my grandson and granddaughter have not seen any friends since early March. 

That is hard! But at least they are at an age where they can game and stream and video chat together. Also IM/texting etc. It’s not the same but it’s better than nothing. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I rarely drink, but I am currently drunk

Having a hard strawberry lemonade myself...cheers!

Mini Malotte may have Covid - she's got some symptoms so the doc yesterday directed her to have the test done.  It's probably not, or at least I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not.  I'm not surprised, she works in a medical office and I think even if you were to rinse yourself in bleach after every patient there's always a chance.  Of course, she could have picked it up going out to eat with her girlfriend as well...anywhere.  Most of the people where we are at in Illinois are compliant, I myself haven't seen anyone pitch a fit yet, except for my husband who grudgingly wears his mask in stores.  I'll tell you though, if she gets more ill and this is Covid, I'm letting him have it full blast that I never want to hear his conspiracy shit again.  I do anyway but this will be the shut up or get the hell out line in the sand.

My thoughts are with you as well Lookeyloo.  As weird as it was I'm glad you all went on your trip.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, magpye29 said:

Why did I pick now to try to get a teaching certificate?  I'm starting to wonder if my future ex husband is right and it was a dumb idea to go back to school at 59. I have to take my MTELs (Massachusetts teacher tests) by October to qualify for student teaching in January, and so far, I'm really sucking at the math practice tests.  I feel so COVID betrayed!

Ironically, I signed up for my particular masters program because they offered in-person classes. Not happening now--but no reduction in tuition! I need to find a math tutor!

Magpye29, I recommend you search YouTube for math lessons.  When I took my college math class I purchased a cliff notes and one of those “for dummies” books. I was never a math person and put them off until my final classes. The YouTube videos and books helped me tremendously and I wound up getting A’s. Best of luck to you!

• Useful 11
  • Love 2

My sister's COVID test was 17 days ago and she still does not have the results. She has all the symptoms, though, and is still feeling terrible 20 days in. I am the conduit for her information to my dad. He is hallucinating like crazy and mentally declining a lot from being locked down for months. He has kind of forgotten how to talk on the phone, even though he calls me multiple time a day for updates. Sometimes he just stops talking and I think we have been disconnected. I don't even know how to do this sometimes.

@lookeyloo, I am joining the rest of the friends saying that I am glad you were able to help make your son’s wish come true. You are in my thoughts always.

I so sympathize with all of the parents, teachers and grandparents trying to decide what to do with the new school semester. What a crazy world. Within two days my local school district went from offering a choice to parents of in person or distance learning with childcare options to distance learning ONLY for the first month of school minimum. Meanwhile, within one mile of my house, the neighboring county Board of Education is strongly recommending their local school districts offer only in person classes with NO masks and NO distancing. I feel like we are living in the twilight zone. 

11 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I rarely drink, but I am currently drunk and on the porch away from my kids over the news the state is allowing in person school from the get go. I am in school, and I assumed my classes would all be online. I was going to enroll my kids in the virtual academy. Now they have to go to school, and an after school program, if my county still has in person school ETA only one of my four classes is moving to online 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

@Ohiopirate02 please say the white tshirt under the sundress is in style. I would rock that look. I have been waiting for it come back around.

@lookeyloo

In my opinion, wearing a tshirt under a sundress never went out of style.  My girls need constant support, and I hate wearing a strapless bra for hours on end.  A tshirt or even tanktop allows me to wear a regular bra.  But, given the selection of dresses currently being sold at Target, slip dresses are back in style.  And if slip dresses are back in, then wearing a tshirt under them automatically becomes an option.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, jcbrown said:

My sister's COVID test was 17 days ago and she still does not have the results. She has all the symptoms, though, and is still feeling terrible 20 days in. I am the conduit for her information to my dad. He is hallucinating like crazy and mentally declining a lot from being locked down for months. He has kind of forgotten how to talk on the phone, even though he calls me multiple time a day for updates. Sometimes he just stops talking and I think we have been disconnected. I don't even know how to do this sometimes.

Forgive me if you mentioned this but where is your Dad? Does he have a caregiver or is he alone?

Its hard. You’re doing the best you can. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

This in kind of cool. You can check by county the odds of being in the presence of an infected person, depending on the size of event. Obviously its based on number of cases in your area, and a one to one visit it all it could take, but interesting none the less.

https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/

Horrifying to see what a hot spot I live in!  I'm ready to head for the rural county I grew up in, where there are more cows than humans.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Forgive me if you mentioned this but where is your Dad? Does he have a caregiver or is he alone?

Its hard. You’re doing the best you can. 

Thanks for that. Dad is in a memory care facility, fortunately. I don't know how I would do this if he were "in the wild" but the lockdown is really causing a faster decline.

7 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Thanks for that. Dad is in a memory care facility, fortunately. I don't know how I would do this if he were "in the wild" but the lockdown is really causing a faster decline.

I have known of quite a few elderly people,  both in long term care facilities and in their own homes who have experienced a rapid decline with the lock down and quarantine.  It has been so sad. My mother passed away in January 2019, and all of my siblings and I have discussed how difficult this would have been on her. She never would have understood why she couldn't go to her weekly hair appointment and activities at her church. I miss her immensely but it is a blessing she didn't have to experience this. 

• Love 12

I think all the schools should start with online learning. The spring was a shit show, because no one was prepared, the pandemic was new, everyone thought it was short term and lastly spring is the hardest time to engage students anyway.

All states should just make a pledge to do online school until after the Christmas break. More time to get better with online courses and more time to prepare to come back and... maybe more time for the virus to settle down.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Come fall it’s going to get worse: the flu, the cold, the COVID or as I call it the deadly trifecta. 

Could be, but, in places where everyone or nearly everyone wears a mask, I'm wondering if cold and flu season will be different this year.  Where we are mask wearing is optional and not many take the option of wearing it.

• Love 11

I think it's good that Walmart is now requiring masks. They should have done this sooner, but better late than never.

@Ijustwantsomechips I was thinking of you just now and I remembered that I saw a forum for single mothers by choice, which gives support to women who want to have kids and who already have kids.  It might be nice to have a forum for support besides this one. 

• Love 11

Yeah, I wondering if the regular flu will be down this years due to the extreme protective measures in place to fight covid..  I'll still get my flu shot.  That map upthread about risk numbers by location....OMG.  It's crazy in NC.   I'm just keeping mine down as much as possible by going in places with few people, staying a short time and wearing protection.  

My covid test is scheduled for next Tuesday, just before my colonoscopy. It's done in drive-through.   By the way, the directions say that I am to drink something a few hours before the procedure.  How does that work?  Won't I be pooping in the car on the way over?  lol

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I wondering if the regular flu will be down this years due to the extreme protective measures in place to fight covid..  I'll still get my flu shot.  That map upthread about risk numbers by location....OMG.  It's crazy in NC.   I'm just keeping mine down as much as possible by going in places with few people, staying a short time and wearing protection.  

My covid test is scheduled for next Tuesday, just before my colonoscopy. It's done in drive-through.   By the way, the directions say that I am to drink something a few hours before the procedure.  How does that work?  Won't I be pooping in the car on the way over?  lol

Maybe ask the Dr.  who is doing your procedure about drinking before the test. I was told not to drink anything after midnight. If you drink the stuff they give you ( also known as the devils drink) you should be all pooped out by morning.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Could be, but, in places where everyone or nearly everyone wears a mask, I'm wondering if cold and flu season will be different this year.  Where we are mask wearing is optional and not many take the option of wearing it.

Also for those of us that are still WFH- once the weather gets cold I will have no reason to go anywhere other than to visit a friend. It’s possible there will be fewer colds and flus just because people won’t be interacting as much- like on public transit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Thank you to you all for the support! And the intel on fashion and Asa 🙂

@magpye29 when I went to college 20 years ago, the Internet was barely a thing, so I was really nervous about online classes. I have taken several since going back to school last year. I wholeheartedly agree that YouTube has gotten me through. And, sometimes I listened to different “channels” and the way one said it clicked better than another. The Organic Chemistry Tutor has been especially helpful with math. His videos are long, but so very worth it!

I will say that my online post-covid classes are better than my previous online classes. I was supposed to take two in-person classes this summer that obviously both got moved to online. They were both synchronous online using the school equivalent of Zoom. None of the students turned on video or audio, and you can virtually raise a hand, turn on your mic, and ask a question. There is also a chat function that people use during the class. Then you still feel like you know people, and I have exchanged numbers and had people to text quick questions to. Even though summer school has been really tough because the course is accelerated, and because my kids are at home round the clock and stir crazy, it has nonetheless been my favorite semester because the online classes have been so much more interactive and thoughtfully done. You’ve got this!

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I wondering if the regular flu will be down this years due to the extreme protective measures in place to fight covid..

According to what has happened in Australia, if most people distance, wear masks, and wash hands, it could decrease by 90%.  

It's almost like we should do this every cold and flu season.  🙂  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 15

I had my hair cut today. I went to a salon in the local mall. The salon did a great job, everyone had a mask on and there were wearing them correctly. Plenty of space between everyone. Everyone in the mall had a face mask on although some needed lesson on how to wear them. The worst was a booth where the sell skin care products maid with dead sea salt. They had a mask on but all three had it pulled down under their chin. One mad stepped forward to offer me a sample. I gave him a sharp No thanks and  went way around him. The other two where hovering over a lady who was looking in a mirror. I thought I had better get a haircut now in case our governor shuts everything down again.

• Love 8

I placed another grocery order because I wanted my avocados and coffee. So I added more baking supplies to hit the minimum. I’m feeling kinda down and just tired of things happening in the world. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I placed another grocery order because I wanted my avocados and coffee. So I added more baking supplies to hit the minimum. I’m feeling kinda down and just tired of things happening in the world. 

Me too, @Scarlett45. It has been a rough week for me, for some reason. I hope baking will help cheer you up a bit 😊

You said Blake is a tuxedo cat, I think? Do you find he's chattier than other cats? Our younger cat is a tuxedo cat and he vocalizes all the time in many inflections at all hours of the day. Someone told me they thought tuxedo cats were a chatty bunch but no one I know has one to compare. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

Thanks, @zenme! I'm really dumber than a box of hair when it comes to math!

You might find some good deals on tutors available on line. I wouldn’t beat yourself up over trying to get your certificate.  It sounds like a very smart and ambitious thing to do. All efforts should be applauded.  I got my Real Estate License a couple of years ago and in the middle thought I had made a huge mistake. Worked out ok, though.I did get a tutor for one portion of the exam prep. It helped.   Still haven’t used the license though.lol

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Me too, @Scarlett45. It has been a rough week for me, for some reason. I hope baking will help cheer you up a bit 😊

You said Blake is a tuxedo cat, I think? Do you find he's chattier than other cats? Our younger cat is a tuxedo cat and he vocalizes all the time in many inflections at all hours of the day. Someone told me they thought tuxedo cats were a chatty bunch but no one I know has one to compare. 

Yup Blake is a tuxedo and he’s always been very vocal. The only other cat I have had that meowed nearly as much as him was Scarlett, Mr Norris‘ litter mate  

• Love 8

My heart is heavy from catching up on this thread today.  I am so sorry so many of you are going through rough times.  We live 4+ hours from our family.  We haven't seen our parents since Christmas and extended family since Thanksgiving.  Mr. Six is getting a little frustrated with his dad during their weekly calls.  He's ready to jump in the car and drive down.  We have politely declined saying it's best we don't see each other yet.  

I must admit, for the most part, I am happy with the way our governor has handled the response for Maryland.  Stores are still displaying signs stating masks are required to enter.  We are still going to Target and one grocery store each Saturday, and we have been able to count on one hand the number of people not wearing a mask since our lockdown was started in March.  People may not like it, but they are still wearing them.  Mr. Six has been going in the office each week, but they are now in groups and doing rotations.  This week, he's at the office MWF/home TTH.  Next week, it will be switched.  It seems to be working ok for the time being.  I haven't heard a decision on schools yet.  It appears the individual counties are making their own decision.  Baltimore County Public Schools is the 25th largest school district in the US.  There's a lot of children (and teachers/support staff) at risk.  As much as it pains me to say this, we are sort of relieved that we don't have kids, even though my heart hurts each and every day that we were forced into being childless because of my body.  It's a catch-22.

You are all in my thoughts ♥

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yup Blake is a tuxedo and he’s always been very vocal. The only other cat I have had that meowed nearly as much as him was Scarlett, Mr Norris‘ litter mate  

Must be a tux thing then! He's so noisy! He cracks us up, unless he's yowling at 4 am. He is way less amusing then 😆 Our other cat is a tabby with a little tortoise shell coloring, and she's fairly quiet. She chirps at us when she jumps up and meow squeaks a bit at meals, but that's it.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Thank you to you all for the support! And the intel on fashion and Asa 🙂

@magpye29 when I went to college 20 years ago, the Internet was barely a thing, so I was really nervous about online classes. I have taken several since going back to school last year. I wholeheartedly agree that YouTube has gotten me through. And, sometimes I listened to different “channels” and the way one said it clicked better than another. The Organic Chemistry Tutor has been especially helpful with math. His videos are long, but so very worth it!

I will say that my online post-covid classes are better than my previous online classes. I was supposed to take two in-person classes this summer that obviously both got moved to online. They were both synchronous online using the school equivalent of Zoom. None of the students turned on video or audio, and you can virtually raise a hand, turn on your mic, and ask a question. There is also a chat function that people use during the class. Then you still feel like you know people, and I have exchanged numbers and had people to text quick questions to. Even though summer school has been really tough because the course is accelerated, and because my kids are at home round the clock and stir crazy, it has nonetheless been my favorite semester because the online classes have been so much more interactive and thoughtfully done. You’ve got this!

Thanks, @marshmallow_mollie! I actually like taking classes on zoom--instead of over 4 hours of lecture, etc, we knocked out our weekly classes in about 2-1/2 hours.  I also spent all spring sitting in on first- and fifth-grade classes so I could collect my pay.  The teachers didn't have me doing anything, usually, but when they did ("Read a story about X"), they didn't even use my stuff.  I don't know how it will go in the fall, because the fifth-grade teacher I work with is going on maternity leave shortly after we go back to school, so that's going to be interesting. Also, my principal said he will work with me so I can do my practicum in January (assuming I pass all my MTELs), so that's another think weighing heavily on me right now.  Have to see how things go, but tomorrow I'm going to take a full practice math MTEL so I can see where I most need to focus some attention.  Maybe there's something mathy that I'm good at, lol!

• Love 11
(edited)

I have been battling wild bird mites in my house. So far it's a losing battle. I'm ready to set my f'ing house on fire. 😡

I know that's what they are because it all started after my husband brought in a bird's nest to show me. He pulled it out of our bathroom's outside exhaust vent.

It's on the second floor, and not easy to get to. I googled the heck out of this, and finally figured out that this is what the problem is.

Every site said they are a b*tch to rid of, and they are. They also said exterminators aren't much help with this, unless they specialize in wild bird mites, and that those are hard to find. Wtf.

PLUS..I wouldn't let my husband clean it out, because I kept hearing baby birds chirping in there, so I wanted him to wait until they left the nest.

Before I thought "aw, how cute! baby birds!"  Now I think birds are @$$holes!😭

The mites are microscopic in size but have been eating me alive. They only bite ME..and not my husband.😭

I thought I was losing my mind (and I think he did too) until I finally captured some and showed him under a magnifying  glass (they look like grains of salt.) 

Sorry..didn't mean to write a novel..but I'm so discouraged, and 2020 can 'bug' off.

Btw, the websites all say they like to bite women more than men..the misogynistic jerks. 😠

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 4