Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Last Friday was the last day I will be able to visit with my mom through the window at her assisted living facility.  They have been completely locked down, but my brother or I would visit and talk to her through the screen while wearing a mask (with the permission of the facility).  They just started allowing the residents to eat in the dining room with two at a table instead of four, and now they have had an exposure from a worker.  So I guess they are back to isolation and eating in their apartments alone.  It is not a good situation for her dementia.  Both my brother and I have decided that talking through the window is a bad idea.  The sad thing is that she won't even realize that we aren't coming.  She enjoys it when we visit with her, but immediately forgets.  She doesn't recognize what the TV even is, so she doesn't get that stimulation. ("I don't have a TV.  That is a box that plays ads.") My house just sold, and I am moving 4 hours away in September.  I guess I'm glad she doesn't remember when anyone visits her.  Physically she is in great shape, so this could go on for a long time.  She will be 94 in December, and I just hope she can stay in the apartment setting for a long time.  She would not do well in the dementia unit.  She is not a "joiner" who would enjoy playing games and doing activities.  At least, so far, she is cooperative and not mean.  I'm very thankful that my dad is gone, so we don't have to worry about him and the virus.  He wouldn't deserve that. Not good anyway you look at it. 

Now back to packing boxes (and boxes and boxes).  Word of advice--don't stay in one house for 37 years.

Edited by CalicoKitty
I do know how to spell.

My inlaws were livid with me when my sister-in-law had her second son (a year and a day after her first son, who was born three weeks after my first son died) and I struggled not to cry the whole time we were visiting because I had had a second miscarriage two months before and was convinced I would never have a baby. I wanted to be the bigger person and be happy for them, but I couldn't seem to manage it, so I was selfish and tarnished their joy.  Then my daughter was born almost a year later, and I had my son four years after that. I never had a moment's doubt that my daughter was going to be fine.  I knew I was having a girl, and I knew she was fine, even though I was insulin-dependent diabetic with that pregnancy.  I know you'll think I was stupid, but I even roller-skated when I was pregnant.  I just KNEW it was going to be fine. When I got pregnant the last time, I wasn't as confident, and I had to decide if I was done having babies at that point. I was five pregnancies in at that point, 34 years old, and my daughter was everything to me, so I knew no matter what happened with my son, I was not willing to get pregnant again.

Here's the funny thing.  My husband had been in Korea for a year, and he came home November 17th.  I handed him the pregnancy test on December 1st and said, "Congratulations, it's a boy!" (My brother-in-law asked him, right in front of me, in a joking tone, Are you sure it's yours?)

All this to say that infertility/failure to get pregnant when you want a baby more than anything in the world is the worst kind of pain, and there's nothing anyone can say in those circumstances because you DON'T know if you'll ever get pregnant, and it feels like the whole world is pregnant when you're not. The thing I love most about living alone is that I can have a photo of me holding my baby who died because there's no one here telling me it's weird or uncomfortable.

• Love 8
(edited)

CalicoKitty, I’m sorry to read about your mother. Having loved ones in long term care since covid has really been a struggle. I can relate, as my cousin, who I am responsible for, has severe dementia and is in Memory Care. She is not aware of much, so I don’t think she realizes the change. But, I know, and it’s very sad. It’s amazing she’s 94 and physically healthy. My cousin progressed very quickly and maintained for years, though now she’s on hospice. She now 68 years old.  I can relate to the packing too. Moving is a lot of work. I’d get help if you can. Covid impacts this too, though.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13
On 7/9/2020 at 12:12 PM, lookeyloo said:

Yes even the most benign things wear on us. I’m lucky that Mr lookeyloo doesn’t bother me at all during the day. He has his computer which I call his electronic mistress but I really don’t mind/care. I have my nice sewing machine that he hasn’t named haha. We pretty much don’t interact until supper time and then we try and find a show to watch that we both like. Sometimes it is a lot of 10 minutes of something and switch.  I gave up the gym and my quilting group plus estate sales for the pandemic. The longer it goes on the more content I am to stay home. 

My husband has been working from home through this and so thankfully between my work and his being occupied all day, I only have to hear his annoying chewing in the evening 

I’m glad we have a smaller person here as well to take the stress of being together constantly

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Elvis Presley’s grandson committed suicide. He was 27. 

That poor kid must have had a struggle all his life. His parents divorced when he was little, Michael Jackson and Nicholas Cage were his stepfather at different points in his childhood and his parents are both committed Scientologists, which means he grew up in a cult (not unlike the Duggar kids). 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

That poor kid must have had a struggle all his life. His parents divorced when he was little, Michael Jackson and Nicholas Cage were his stepfather at different points in his childhood and his parents are both committed Scientologists, which means he grew up in a cult (not unlike the Duggar kids). 

He had a third step-father too. The father of the younger twins. Apparently Lisa Marie lost custody of them, so must have been a lot of turmoil in the household.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, frenchtoast said:

Never thought I'd find myself here, but I'm actually driving through Arkansas via I-40. We are headed to the new home in TX so won't be lingering though we have a stop for lunch in Hope, I think. I'm not a mod anymore but I've been part of this forum for so long it seems weird to be in the same state as the Duggars. 

Safe travels!

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Never thought I'd find myself here, but I'm actually driving through Arkansas via I-40. We are headed to the new home in TX so won't be lingering though we have a stop for lunch in Hope, I think. I'm not a mod anymore but I've been part of this forum for so long it seems weird to be in the same state as the Duggars. 

I hope our hot summers don't bother you. Depending on where you live the winter makes up for the summer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@frenchtoast, safe travels! 

I have no meetings until 2:00 today but I’m completely lacking in motivation to do anything. Would someone please yell at me to get to work? 

Make a list of 3 tasks. Check them off when done. Then make another list, etc.

And, uhm .. Right now young lady!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

@wilsie Thank you for sharing that on the previous page. It gives me joy to hear about such heart warming stories. 
When isolating all the news does is give doom and gloom, so I can only take so much of it. They really need to make a good news channel so we have something that gives some hope and a modicum of happiness. Be well all. 

• Love 8

Wow, 2020 really is sucking for everyone! I just got caught up. This “summer” has been terrible so far, because our governor keeps putting off the announcement on schools, and our cases are surging! I’m just terrified to go back. My asthma makes me high risk, and I don’t want to be as sick again as I was last year with the flu! Plus, my dad had a heart attack around when corona started, and I would potentially have to go the entire school year without seeing him. That is a LOT to ask for a job without very good pay, and no respect! Yet the parents are demanding we go back, saying that yes, some teachers will die, but the kids will get used to it after the first few deaths (seriously!). They’re also accusing us of being classist and thinking we’re special, since other occupations have been working. Well, we ARE special! None of those other professions are in a small room with hundreds of different people over the course of the week. Even 50% capacity doesn’t do anything to help specials teachers like me, because I will still see every kid every week! I am absolutely worried sick, because social distancing cannot be done in a school setting. The kindergarteners can’t even get the gist of sitting in a circle for a month or two! I just fail to see how these measures will keep people safe. My veterinarian won’t even let people come into the waiting room yet! Yet the state has admitted they won’t provide PPE, and will rely on “community donations.” Basically, that equals “teacher donations.” I’m going to pay to keep myself some measure of safe, and let’s not pretend that this won’t exacerbate inequality between rich and poor schools!

yet some of my coworkers (like 5% of them) are on Facebook proclaiming, “I will gladly sacrifice my health for the children! Everything has to go back to normal!” Well, no, I’m sorry. One, it won’t be normal. Two, I am not willing to risk my health for other people’s children! I care about them, but I love my family. I don’t want to go a year without seeing my dad! I know parents have to work, and there’s not an easy answer. But bottom line, they brought these children into the world. I didn’t! I shouldn’t have to risk my life for them (and can you imagine how awful it will be when the kids are being super disrespectful, and teachers snap because they realize they are risking their lives to have this interaction?). My job is to educate them, which can be done remotely. I don’t know what the answer to the childcare question is, but I. Am. Scared. I literally have an anxiety attack every time I think about it too much!

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Wow, 2020 really is sucking for everyone! I just got caught up. This “summer” has been terrible so far, because our governor keeps putting off the announcement on schools, and our cases are surging! I’m just terrified to go back. My asthma makes me high risk, and I don’t want to be as sick again as I was last year with the flu! Plus, my dad had a heart attack around when corona started, and I would potentially have to go the entire school year without seeing him. That is a LOT to ask for a job without very good pay, and no respect! Yet the parents are demanding we go back, saying that yes, some teachers will die, but the kids will get used to it after the first few deaths (seriously!). They’re also accusing us of being classist and thinking we’re special, since other occupations have been working. Well, we ARE special! None of those other professions are in a small room with hundreds of different people over the course of the week. Even 50% capacity doesn’t do anything to help specials teachers like me, because I will still see every kid every week! I am absolutely worried sick, because social distancing cannot be done in a school setting. The kindergarteners can’t even get the gist of sitting in a circle for a month or two! I just fail to see how these measures will keep people safe. My veterinarian won’t even let people come into the waiting room yet! Yet the state has admitted they won’t provide PPE, and will rely on “community donations.” Basically, that equals “teacher donations.” I’m going to pay to keep myself some measure of safe, and let’s not pretend that this won’t exacerbate inequality between rich and poor schools!

yet some of my coworkers (like 5% of them) are on Facebook proclaiming, “I will gladly sacrifice my health for the children! Everything has to go back to normal!” Well, no, I’m sorry. One, it won’t be normal. Two, I am not willing to risk my health for other people’s children! I care about them, but I love my family. I don’t want to go a year without seeing my dad! I know parents have to work, and there’s not an easy answer. But bottom line, they brought these children into the world. I didn’t! I shouldn’t have to risk my life for them (and can you imagine how awful it will be when the kids are being super disrespectful, and teachers snap because they realize they are risking their lives to have this interaction?). My job is to educate them, which can be done remotely. I don’t know what the answer to the childcare question is, but I. Am. Scared. I literally have an anxiety attack every time I think about it too much!

What a mess for children, teachers and parents. Has your district talked about laying off all but homeroom and special-ed teachers at the elementary level? That's the talk in my area. I don't know if that would be a relief to you or not. I hope someone can come up with a solution that is in the best interest of everyone.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

@wilsie Thank you for sharing that on the previous page. It gives me joy to hear about such heart warming stories. 
When isolating all the news does is give doom and gloom, so I can only take so much of it. They really need to make a good news channel so we have something that gives some hope and a modicum of happiness. Be well all. 

You are more than welcome.  It helped me a lot to be able to share it.  There are such good unsung people in this world.  I'm so glad we got to hear about someone who not only helped but made sure they were really helping, checking what this woman had in her refrigerator.  Like you, I hope everyone stays well.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

What a mess for children, teachers and parents. Has your district talked about laying off all but homeroom and special-ed teachers at the elementary level? That's the talk in my area. I don't know if that would be a relief to you or not. I hope someone can come up with a solution that is in the best interest of everyone.

I’m at a charter school for K-8, so sadly, that wouldn’t help me. If the governor doesn’t say we all have to do online, my school will definitely open! They’re headquartered in Florida, and keep sending, “rah rah sis boom BAH we’re gonna be open and it’ll be AWESOME!!!!!!!” emails to us. It’s so annoying! They will want to open with the least possible restrictions, and do next to nothing to keep us safe. 

Just now, Christina87 said:

I’m at a charter school for K-8, so sadly, that wouldn’t help me. If the governor doesn’t say we all have to do online, my school will definitely open! They’re headquartered in Florida, and keep sending, “rah rah sis boom BAH we’re gonna be open and it’ll be AWESOME!!!!!!!” emails to us. It’s so annoying! They will want to open with the least possible restrictions, and do next to nothing to keep us safe. 

@Christina87 you and other educators are in my hearts. I know how hard you all work and how committed you are to your students- and I also know there people who WILL send their child to school when they are sick or COVID19 positive because in our society school is the default childcare option. 

I would not want to be in your position.

I have heard from some teachers that they are going to be doing “mobile classrooms” where the teachers move from room to room, the kids stay put and would eat/recess/socialize only with the children in their cohort/group. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

They are keeping schools closed in LA county, but WTF are working parents going to do? People are already having trouble paying their rents and utility bills, and the weekly federal unemployment benefit ends in 2 weeks.

This is why the federal government is so intent on re-opening schools come hell or high water; because of a lack of adequate childcare options, many parents need to send their kids to school while they work.  This is part of the grand 'let's re-open the economy' strategy.  I think things are going to be a lot worse before they get better and I, too, think it is ridiculous that teachers are expected to risk their lives for this.  

This virus has exposed a lot of flaws in this country: the lack of unified disaster planning, the very shaky ground that stands beneath our medical care system, the lack  of affordable child care.

• Love 23

After the almost 12 hour marathon of being without power yesterday, the AC and plumbing guys are here today to try to figure out what's causing the small leak in my house. So far, it doesn't appear to be a plumbing issue so they are now checking the AC lines to see if anything is clogged or if there's an insulation gap that is causing condensation to form anywhere. They turned the AC off while they are inspecting and I'm getting anxious to turn it back on already, lol. After yesterday, I think I have PTSD from having no cool air for so long (PTSD-AC?).  

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

This is why the federal government is so intent on re-opening schools come hell or high water; because of a lack of adequate childcare options, many parents need to send their kids to school while they work.  This is part of the grand 'let's re-open the economy' strategy.  I think things are going to be a lot worse before they get better and I, too, think it is ridiculous that teachers are expected to risk their lives for this.  

This virus has exposed a lot of flaws in this country: the lack of unified disaster planning, the very shaky ground that stands beneath our medical care system, the lack  of affordable child care.

You couldn’t have said it better! I feel so much for parents who rely on the schools for childcare, but for me, where I draw the line is that I didn’t choose to bring those children into the world. Of course, the parents brought them into the world knowing that school attendance was compulsory. There are no easy answers, but I’m not sure why me risking my life is necessary. I’m so worried for my dad, too. Realistically, he doesn’t have THAT many years left, and  I don’t want to miss a whole year with him. I hope that if schools start, they will shut down, and then I can see him after two weeks. I can’t imagine not going home for thanksgiving or Christmas, but that’s what I’ll have to do to keep him safe if we go back! And I have it easy compared to a lot of teachers. Imagine all the teachers whose high-risk parents live with them, or even teachers who have spouses my dad’s age, and in his condition!

i feel like we are so fortunate in this day and age to be able to do school online, unlike with the Spanish flu. It may not be perfect, but it’s safe. As for the childcare piece, I wish I had a good answer. At least middle and high school kids could stay home alone, and even responsible 4th and 5th graders. It really has shown us a big weakness in our society. I can’t imagine having to make those decisions either!

also, our ridiculous lawmakers decided to move our start date from August 31 to August 17. Why, exactly? Teachers have to go back August 3!!! Nobody can convince me that it will be safe for the entire staff to meet (and have a pep rally!) in August 3. Why in the world didn’t they move the start date back, maybe after Labor Day? There would be a chance of numbers improving by then. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

You couldn’t have said it better! I feel so much for parents who rely on the schools for childcare, but for me, where I draw the line is that I didn’t choose to bring those children into the world. Of course, the parents brought them into the world knowing that school attendance was compulsory. There are no easy answers, but I’m not sure why me risking my life is necessary. I’m so worried for my dad, too. Realistically, he doesn’t have THAT many years left, and  I don’t want to miss a whole year with him. I hope that if schools start, they will shut down, and then I can see him after two weeks. I can’t imagine not going home for thanksgiving or Christmas, but that’s what I’ll have to do to keep him safe if we go back! And I have it easy compared to a lot of teachers. Imagine all the teachers whose high-risk parents live with them, or even teachers who have spouses my dad’s age, and in his condition!

i feel like we are so fortunate in this day and age to be able to do school online, unlike with the Spanish flu. It may not be perfect, but it’s safe. As for the childcare piece, I wish I had a good answer. At least middle and high school kids could stay home alone, and even responsible 4th and 5th graders. It really has shown us a big weakness in our society. I can’t imagine having to make those decisions either!

also, our ridiculous lawmakers decided to move our start date from August 31 to August 17. Why, exactly? Teachers have to go back August 3!!! Nobody can convince me that it will be safe for the entire staff to meet (and have a pep rally!) in August 3. Why in the world didn’t they move the start date back, maybe after Labor Day? There would be a chance of numbers improving by then. 

I understand how you feel. As someone who has spent 30years in the terrible 2s I understand the need for caregiving probably more than the average childfree person, but no it’s not right to ask this much from teachers. The profession didn’t get the respect or pay it deserved in the first place. 

I don’t have any answers here. Chicago has done very well all things considering and up here schools don’t start until after Labor Day anyway. I understand not everyone has trustworthy people to leave their children with, and they might not be able to afford a private caregiver. 

As much as I don’t like WFH I’m so happy I can do it, I’m happy my sister lives here (I couldn’t imagine if she lived in a facility and it was LOCKED DOWN right now!!) and I am happy her caregiver hasn’t missed a day. 

How are you doing otherwise @Christina87- are you still living with a roommate? I know this has been hard on single people. 

• Love 8

my son and DIL have 3 school age kids, 4th, 2nd and K. they are in a small, mostly rural school district - one of each level school building, long bus rides etc. They have several neighbors with kids the same age and are working to form a co-op among themselves for the school year using the school districts online classes. some have parents who are working from home and some families have a parent who is home. so different age kids would walk to the neighbor's house for classes and activities with kids their age.

Not the answer for everyone, but I think it might work for them. none of them are willing to send their kids back to school and the school district has been honest in saying we have no plan yet, things change everyday so it's hard to make a plan

• Useful 4
  • Love 10

I'm so sorry about all those who have had so many losses, especially those to suicide.  I can't imagine that. 

I do think that 2020 has brought many people an ultra amount of grief and pain.  I've encountered what I refer to as a tsunami of loss since May of this year.  I posted about a couple of people earlier, but not all.  It sort of overwhelmed me and I didn't mention all of it on this thread. It's actually made me consider getting professional counseling.  I already chat with my cousin's hospice social worker.  That helps. It's just so much...hard to digest.  She says there's no rush.  Take your time.  

May 28, one of my best and oldest friends and mentor died of sepsis.  (It was a quick downward turn, but, wasn't totally unexpected.)  He wanted us to go to  Key West, but, his health didn't allow it.  He was 81.

June 7,  an old friend, who used to work for me died after a 3 month battle with cancer. She was a real powerhouse person. Never met a stranger. Loved to laugh. She was 63.

June 9, an old friend that I used to work with in my hometown years ago died of covid-19.  He had been on life support at Duke for 2 weeks. He loved everyone and tried to help anyone who needed help. Was a friend to all and truly valued in the community.  He was 67.

June 17, my heart was broken when a long time, dear friend and colleague was killed when he was hit by a car crossing in a crosswalk in downtown Raleigh, NC.   He was a widely respected and well loved attorney.  I was so emotional about it when it happened that I sort of pretended that it didn't happen. He was 69 years old. We had last spoken right before covid hit.  He was truly a great man with a loving wife and devoted adult son. Everyone thought they were Gary's best friend. lol  The Wake County legal community is still reeling. 

So, I'm ready to say goodbye to 2020.  It started out so great for me and my friends vacationing in the KEYS.  I had no idea what was ahead. 

I'm trying to stay positive.  This is a song that I listen to. It talks about thinking of our friends who have left and how short our time is. 

• Love 2

@Christina87, I understand your concerns. My husband has been a HS teacher for 35+ years. At the end of school last year, he decided he would continue two more years. Had we known then about the virus coming, etc his decision would likely have been a different one. He has been eligible for retirement for some time. We have several concerns, the classrooms were already crowded. Two department teachers have resigned and are not being replaced, meaning even more students per classroom. The hallways are narrow and crowded and social distancing seems impossible.

Two years ago my husband had a heart attack. Prior to that he had not missed one day of work in 30 years. Later that same year he was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder. He has dedicated his professional life to his students and we rarely go anywhere that someone doesn't come up to him and tell him their life is better for having had him as a teacher. He is well known in the community and feels an obligation to return to school, yet we are frightened. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

You couldn’t have said it better! I feel so much for parents who rely on the schools for childcare, but for me, where I draw the line is that I didn’t choose to bring those children into the world.

Are you able to get out of your contract and pursue other employment options? It does not sound like you are at all comfortable in your chosen career anymore, and may be happier and less stressed doing something else. 

16 minutes ago, whydoiwatch said:

He has dedicated his professional life to his students and we rarely go anywhere that someone doesn't come up to him and tell him their life is better for having had him as a teacher. He is well known in the community and feels an obligation to return to school, yet we are frightened. 

This is my husband, though with less "time served", as he is not close to retiring. Everyone in our small town knows me as his wife and gushes to me about how much they/their kid love him. He's scared. I'm scared. Our school district has voted 2 choices for parents- either school as usual or entirely remote schooling. As a teacher, my husband doesn't have a choice. Whether we choose to send our own kids to school or do remote doesn't really matter in terms of exposure, as he will be in a building with 600 people daily and then will return home to us. I work full time (from home even before the pandemic, but we have pretty strict productivity that must be met) so devoting myself to homeschooling isn't really ideal. 

At this point I'm hoping our school board reevaluates before August but I'm not optimistic since cases have been on the rise since our state reopened, and they still voted for an "all or nothing" approach rather than trying to work to a middle ground. It's frustrating and frightening and I don't know what we will decide for our family yet. 

My daughter works in a school system so I totally understand how everyone is feeling. Shame on the government for wanting to get the economy up instead of everyone healthy. I really hope that nothing bad happens to any of you or your loved ones. We are all tired of this virus, but it’s far from over (at least where I live) and so scary. So very scary. Stay safe and be well. 

• Love 14

My city's school district starts up 8/10, 100% distance. They will remain that way for at least four weeks before reassessing. Their decisions to reopen will be based in stats and science and may be hybrid for some time, but that won't even be considered until September.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

My city's school district starts up 8/10, 100% distance. They will remain that way for at least four weeks before reassessing. Their decisions to reopen will be based in stats and science and may be hybrid for some time, but that won't even be considered until September.

I wish they all would go with this option. I know it sucks for parents who have to worry about daycare for their kids but sending everyone back to school is a bad idea. We're seeing spikes all over the place. We're seeing constantly people who had parties, went to a wedding, church etc. who ended up getting sick. This is a fact. Its not something that's rarely happened. It keeps happening. We know that once school starts teachers and kids are going to get sick. That's a fact. That is insane. Sending kids to school knowing their going to get sick or pass it onto their teachers and/other school staff who will get sick or bring it home and get their parents and/or grandparents sick. Why? I don't want send my nephew, my cousins' kids or anyone else's kids to school. I don't want my sister-in-law who's a teacher or my cousin who's a teacher or any other teachers or school staff to have to go either. Keeping them at home is the safest option. I know teaching online doesn't always work my nephew kept blowing it off in the spring and my sister-in-law's class wasn't any better. It was basically a wash. There's a good chance that it'll be a wash again which may put kids back. But that's something that we can fix later. When God hopefully there's a vaccine for it. Or its possible that it might even go better this time because they'll be more used to it and this will be their "normal" school. Either way its a better option then sending adults and kids into schools where we know they are going to get sick and some are going to die. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Sorry for your losses @SunnyBeBe. Love Jackson Brown!

Thank you so much.  I appreciate that.  I love him too.   I watched Jackson Browne: Going Home this past weekend and it was like food for my soul.  I needed to deal with my losses.  I feel better since posting.  It's part documentary, part concert. I really felt a spiritual experience from it. It's on Amazon right now. 

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I wonder if NYC schools will reopen in the fall.

not sure on NYC schools at all, but my college professor daughter in Albany is planning for 100% on line. they simply don't have the space in classrooms to be safe. she had so many students in a class last year that she could not walk 2 ft from her desk. they looked into heated tents and dividing the gym into various sections to make smaller class sizes, but then no money to hire the extra staff to teach the half size classes

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

As far as I know, our school district hasn't released plans for the school year (though the entire state's school year has been pushed back a couple of weeks), though I know a lot of local parents who are saying they will not send their kids back if schools reopen until there is a vaccine or more reliable treatments for COVID. I did see Bentonville is already letting parents choose 100% online as an option for their kids, and I suspect they won't have many takers for their blended alternative. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

This virus has exposed a lot of flaws in this country: the lack of unified disaster planning, the very shaky ground that stands beneath our medical care system, the lace k  of affordable child care.

So many people getting sick and more and more without healthcare coverage.

(edited)

One of my good friend’s son is supposed to attend our state’s School of Math and Science soon.  It’s a high school boarding school. The school has taken HUGE measures to protect the students in their plans. My friend has really thought about it a lot. His pediatrician says he would not hesitate if it was his child. He felt it was safe......so, idk.   I hope he’s right. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

@Scarlett45 thanks for asking! Online school was an adjustment, but things have been going pretty well. It’s hard not being able to really socialize, but I thankfully still do live with my roommate, and have really been enjoying her company! She has been working from home too, so I’m glad to not be alone! I’ve also been able to stay in really good shape and exercise outside a lot until about a month ago. Now, it is too hot, and gyms still aren’t open here. How have you been doing? It is so tough for single people! I haven’t really been getting anywhere with dating because of the pandemic, either. Definitely not the best time in the dating world!

@Jenniferbug I hope your family can make the right decision too! I’m torn, because I feel so lucky to have this job. I quit my last job because I was being bullied by the principal, and didn’t find another teaching job for a year! It is tough to find something when you only have teaching on your resume, much less in this recession! Last year was my first year here, and it was busy (different grade level) but I loved it! I’m praying for some kind of miracle that lets me take a year of absence, like winning the lottery, lol! And there is still a chance that my state could make the right call. I just don’t want to give up this job because I really do love it! It’s a small school, and I finally know all the kids, too! I know I might have sounded harsh when I said I didn’t bring the kids into this world, but I didn’t, and my family is my first priority! As much as I care about the kids, I can’t imagine putting them above my dad, who had a heart attack in March. He’s also technically elderly, so as morbid as it is, I don’t want to give up a year with him when I have no guarantee that he will live a long life, especially in good health! Ugh. There are just no good options right now. I’m praying so hard that our governor makes the right call! I love those kids, but I can still love them online!

• Love 10

There are no good answers for any of it, I think. The school districts here will make decisions soon but I don't know which way things will go. My friend is an assistant principal and she told me she has no idea how they are going to handle it. I understand a lot of classes can be done online but how do you teach stuff like music or wood shop or other subjects that require in-person help and guidance and materials? Will those courses just get cut if things continue online?

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, emma675 said:

There are no good answers for any of it, I think. The school districts here will make decisions soon but I don't know which way things will go. My friend is an assistant principal and she told me she has no idea how they are going to handle it. I understand a lot of classes can be done online but how do you teach stuff like music or wood shop or other subjects that require in-person help and guidance and materials? Will those courses just get cut if things continue online?

@Christina87 is a music teacher. She seems to have made it work online.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2