Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

There are no good answers for any of it, I think. The school districts here will make decisions soon but I don't know which way things will go. My friend is an assistant principal and she told me she has no idea how they are going to handle it. I understand a lot of classes can be done online but how do you teach stuff like music or wood shop or other subjects that require in-person help and guidance and materials? Will those courses just get cut if things continue online?

Probably to my thinking. More teachers will lose their jobs and then the poor students will have to do with less teachers (overworked, underpaid and stretched), as well as limited classes. None of the fun stuff or things that give you a break between the heavy duty subjects such as math or chemistry. This is a tough time to be growing up. I have grandchildren. So many of their growing steps have been knocked out right under from them. No prom, no graduation, no association with friends, no dating, and theIr world is topsy turvey. They don’t even think about jobs as there aren’t any out there. That’s a real impetus to move forward <sarcasm>. I hope your friend stays well and all of this becomes easier soon.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

@Christina87 is a music teacher. She seems to have made it work online.

Yes! It’s not going to be “normal” no matter what. My school says if we return, we can’t sing or play instruments. Online, we can at least sing!

In the spring, our classes weren’t required. We were supposed to teach every day, but they were optional. I taught about composers, and also taught piano online! The kids pulled up digital pianos, and I could still teach them! We also had a class period each week where they could request songs, and we all danced. That was really fun! I didn’t see many kids since my class wasn’t required, but I built good relationships with the kids I did see. Also, they got a lot out of it, because the composers interested them. I’m glad we got to do that!

As for this coming year, I’m totally not sure either way! If we’re in person, we can’t sing or play instruments. That doesn’t leave many options! I’m thinking about teaching drama and pop music history for the older ones, but I have no clue what to do with K-2! If we go online, we could sing, ironically. I just hope my class is required this time if we are online! I feel so lucky that my school is a STEAM school, so they can’t really advertise that they’re a STEAM school and then cut the arts!

Bottom line, though, is that nothing will be normal. We won’t be able to have concerts or plays at all (which is my favorite thing!). The kids LOVE playing the instruments, and won’t be able to do that. The younger kids love moving around, and they’ll have to stay in their seats. It’s going to be a mess whatever happens. I can’t imagine how it will look either way, at least until we have more guidance and details!

• Love 16

My daughter is an eighth grade gifted and talented science teacher and has always enriched her classes with hands-on activities. Now she won't be able to do that. Her school district is going to issue the requirements for next semester on Wednesday. Until then, she just waits. She's scared to death to go into a classroom full of kids, not knowing if they're asymptomatic carriers. We're praying that the word comes down that everything will be remote for the first month or so, then a gradual reopening. That would be the best case scenario for students and teachers.

• Love 7

@Christina87 I am glad you have your roommate and you haven’t been alone. 

Im doing okay considering-seeing the attached photo. I do have close friends that live on this side of town, who are also WFH so we go to each other’s homes 1-2x per week and watch a movie/eat a meal, or go to a restaurant and sit outside. Now that it’s summer in chicago I’m so glad it’s hot and I can be outside! Other than that I’ve been in the house. Yesterday I tie dyed with my god daughter.

My mom is still healthy and seeing patients, my sister has been a slightly bit more annoying probably because I’ve been taking care of her more, and Mom is home more. Yesterday she was getting on my damn nerves just with her NOISE in my ear just drives me nuts. The pitch with her screaming is too much some days- thank god for Disney +, once she started watching Fox & the Hound in Dutch(yes Dutch) she was quiet. 

I know what you mean about dating- I’m probably never getting laid again cause I’m scared of COVID! I don’t know these people and whom they’ve been around. My friends I trust and know they aren’t reckless and they are in the house these days like me. 

9A072156-2255-4C93-A49C-0A8E001CEC74.jpeg

• LOL 6
  • Love 10

I haven't heard anything definitive about what school will look like online.  I'm kind of worried because I'm the building-based sub, and I think I will be working a LOT once school gets rolling. My masters classes will continue to be online, and they're talking about having us teach Faith Formation (Catholic Sunday school) virtually, but I'm not feeling like I want to do that.  I'm supposed to teach a drama workshop online for three weeks in August, and the only reason I'm going to do that is because I need the money. There was no summer camp this year so I'm completely dependent on my future ex-husband's support checks to keep me afloat. Thank God he works for the VA!

In other news, I'm so bored, I might finally read all the threads in this forum. I only read Small talk, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Anna, and once in a while the other couples.  Is it worth it to read the rest when I don't even watch the show?

They found Naya Rivera's body today, the 7th Anniversary of Cory Monteith's death, so the Glee curse is getting a lot of airplay. And Kelly Preston passed away today. I always liked her. I'm usually a staunch boycotter of all things Scientology, but I seem to have always given JT and Kelly a pass on that.

• Love 9

We are discussing Naya Rivera’s passing in the Glee thread in more depth. I always felt we kind of grew up together- her roles on Family Matters, Soul Food etc  As someone who wanted to be a child actor I related to her performances. And there weren’t many kids on tv that looked like me (no I’m not as pretty as Naya!!!), and she DID. 

I admit my patience is wearing thin being bunkered down with the elderly- who loves to ask me to do things she can do herself, and moves SO SLOWLY and the disabled with her screaming and the grunting and the acting a damn fool over chicken (or lime jello or whatever) because she can- I am not my normal peppy self. 

And yes I know everyone gets older and my sister didn’t ask to be born but hot damn. I know it could be 500x worse and we have paid help M-F but I have had no sort of escape for weeks (outside of watching tv or visiting friends for a few hours). You know I have to leave town to get any consistent peace and I’m not going anywhere for a GOOD LONG WHILE. 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

I saw this from a teacher friend and thought it appropriate to what we’re talking about.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On the other hand, when 10 yo girls are swallowing pills and then walking into a cornfield to die ...... someone needs to care about the kids.

• Love 1

It’s a mess for sure. One of my friends has a grandson on the spectrum. Non verbal and many issues. Without his teachers and aides in school he is regressing. But they don’t want to send him back to school.  The grands in the PNW seem to think they are going two days a week and then online. But a lot could change. Grandson will have college from his room like he did last quarter. Not exactly a normal experience because he can’t see his friends. But we know there are folks in much worse situations. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

We are discussing Naya Rivera’s passing in the Glee thread in more depth. I always felt we kind of grew up together- her roles on Family Matters, Soul Food etc  As someone who wanted to be a child actor I related to her performances. And there weren’t many kids on tv that looked like me (no I’m not as pretty as Naya!!!), and she DID. 

I admit my patience is wearing thin being bunkered down with the elderly- who loves to ask me to do things she can do herself, and moves SO SLOWLY and the disabled with her screaming and the grunting and the acting a damn fool over chicken (or lime jello or whatever) because she can- I am not my normal peppy self. 

And yes I know everyone gets older and my sister didn’t ask to be born but hot damn. I know it could be 500x worse and we have paid help M-F but I have had no sort of escape for weeks (outside of watching tv or visiting friends for a few hours). You know I have to leave town to get any consistent peace and I’m not going anywhere for a GOOD LONG WHILE. 

I wanted to be a child actor too! My sister and I used to write scripts for our own TV shows and film them with my dad’s VHS camera, haha! 

It sounds like you have been having a pretty good time! It’s funny what you mean about extraverts, though. I would be lonely without my roommate, but as an introvert, I’m loving quarantine for the most part! I’ve been wanting social distancing my whole life lol!

57 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

I haven't heard anything definitive about what school will look like online.  I'm kind of worried because I'm the building-based sub, and I think I will be working a LOT once school gets rolling. My masters classes will continue to be online, and they're talking about having us teach Faith Formation (Catholic Sunday school) virtually, but I'm not feeling like I want to do that.  I'm supposed to teach a drama workshop online for three weeks in August, and the only reason I'm going to do that is because I need the money. There was no summer camp this year so I'm completely dependent on my future ex-husband's support checks to keep me afloat. Thank God he works for the VA!

In other news, I'm so bored, I might finally read all the threads in this forum. I only read Small talk, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Anna, and once in a while the other couples.  Is it worth it to read the rest when I don't even watch the show?

They found Naya Rivera's body today, the 7th Anniversary of Cory Monteith's death, so the Glee curse is getting a lot of airplay. And Kelly Preston passed away today. I always liked her. I'm usually a staunch boycotter of all things Scientology, but I seem to have always given JT and Kelly a pass on that.

I think the sub issue will be huge! My school barely ever has subs, and we usually combine classes. We won’t be able to do that with social distancing! And our state has said they will “encourage teachers to use sick data.” What about the subs?! Most are retired teachers, and few will risk their lives at that age to sub. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I wanted to be a child actor too! My sister and I used to write scripts for our own TV shows and film them with my dad’s VHS camera, haha! 

It sounds like you have been having a pretty good time! It’s funny what you mean about extraverts, though. I would be lonely without my roommate, but as an introvert, I’m loving quarantine for the most part! I’ve been wanting social distancing my whole life lol!

I think the sub issue will be huge! My school barely ever has subs, and we usually combine classes. We won’t be able to do that with social distancing! And our state has said they will “encourage teachers to use sick data.” What about the subs?! Most are retired teachers, and few will risk their lives at that age to sub. 

Who is going to drive a school bus?  Most drivers are young retirees who can deal with the awkward hours.  They were already quitting because of low pay and driving in our brutal winters.  The number of drivers is rapidly disappearing. 

Edited by fonfereksglen

So here's the latest development in my district- school board met tonight and decided to require masks for students, staff, and visitors. I have no idea how that's going to work exactly but that's the decision.

So now the very same people who last week were so thrilled that the school board was going to hold classes as normal because their kids so needed to be in school buildings with friends and the virus is nothing anyway are now flipping out about how their rights are being violated and swearing they'll homeschool instead 🤦‍♀️ 

I still don't know what we're doing, but I have to shake my head and chuckle at the total change in attitude from many parents. 

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

It’s a mess for sure. One of my friends has a grandson on the spectrum. Non verbal and many issues. Without his teachers and aides in school he is regressing. But they don’t want to send him back to school.  The grands in the PNW seem to think they are going two days a week and then online. But a lot could change. Grandson will have college from his room like he did last quarter. Not exactly a normal experience because he can’t see his friends. But we know there are folks in much worse situations. 

I also worry about the lack of PT for the CP little ones and older.  In  our area, we have an extraordinay CP Center with multiple warm water therapy pools and programs from age 0 to 100 plus, which are still closed.  

There are also countless other special needs children and adults whose physical needs are not being addressed.   It has become brutal for their forgotten treatment! 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

I also worry about the lack of PT for the CP little ones and older.  In  our area, we have an extraordinay CP Center with multiple warm water therapy pools and programs from age 0 to 100 plus, which are still closed.  

There are also countless other special needs children and adults whose physical needs are not being addressed.   It has become brutal for their forgotten treatment! 

And there are no extra sets of eyes to help children who are being abused and/or neglected. 

• Love 2

@SunnyBeBe, I am so terribly sorry for your losses. Too many to bear. Sending you comfort and hugs.

@Christina87, you are in such a difficult position. I was so happy for you when you got this teaching job, but Covid 19 has stolen most of the joy from you. I don’t blame you for being scared to go back to work since you were so sick last year and since your father will need only healthy people visiting him. 

And my heart goes out to those of you still mourning relatives and friends who have committed suicide. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Love2dance said:

@SunnyBeBe, I am so terribly sorry for your losses. Too many to bear. Sending you comfort and hugs.

@Christina87, you are in such a difficult position. I was so happy for you when you got this teaching job, but Covid 19 has stolen most of the joy from you. I don’t blame you for being scared to go back to work since you were so sick last year and since your father will need only healthy people visiting him. 

And my heart goes out to those of you still mourning relatives and friends who have committed suicide. 

I agree. You said it much more eloquently than I would have. Thank you.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I was able to take a couple of days off last week and travel to the beach.  My sister and brother-in-law rented a house for the week, and the beach in question is 3 1/2 hours away from my home.  It was close enough that I only got out of my car once to use the restroom going there, and once I was there I barely ventured out.  Well besides going to the beach.  We were also not in one of the more popular spots in the Outer Banks so the beach was not overly crowded.  We could safely keep our distance while frolicking in the ocean.  It was wonderful spending time with my niece and nephew.  Is it possible for you to rent a cabin or house a couple of hours away?  Or stay in a motel?

On another note, I bought and am currently wearing a dress that reminds me of Jill Dillard.  It speaks to my inner 90s girl and I have some white tshirts on the way to wear underneath.

image.thumb.png.39f0074f7bbcab0aff997390d2088028.png

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I was able to take a couple of days off last week and travel to the beach.  My sister and brother-in-law rented a house for the week, and the beach in question is 3 1/2 hours away from my home.  It was close enough that I only got out of my car once to use the restroom going there, and once I was there I barely ventured out.  Well besides going to the beach.  We were also not in one of the more popular spots in the Outer Banks so the beach was not overly crowded.  We could safely keep our distance while frolicking in the ocean.  It was wonderful spending time with my niece and nephew.  Is it possible for you to rent a cabin or house a couple of hours away?  Or stay in a motel?

On another note, I bought and am currently wearing a dress that reminds me of Jill Dillard.  It speaks to my inner 90s girl and I have some white tshirts on the way to wear underneath.

That dress is so cute!

Thanks for the suggestion but it’s not worth it cost wise to me to rent a house/cabin/hotel to sit alone and watch tv- which I can do right here in my unit. If I can’t be OUT doing what I want to do (cause pandemic!) I’ll stay home and keep watching tv. I know many people feel energized by those types of vacations but it’s not for me. 

I do have more time off coming up, which will be “secret” ssssshhhhh don’t tell my mom!!! I will be sleeping in and not doing laundry. Lol. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My family went to the beach too! We went to cherry grove (near Myrtle for those who don’t know), and had a nice, relaxing time! We had a huge balcony where we were, and we only walked on the beach at night, when fewer people were there. We took all our pets and had an awesome time! I’m attaching some pics from my beach trip! 😍

Our governor makes the announcement at 3 pm. I am so nervous!!! I’m not sure I can watch. I might need to just read about it. 

021A98A6-6F34-4BBB-BB20-31F463280BB4.jpeg

I could only get these two to upload! LOL! But we had a great time with the pets! 

B139CB21-6E8B-42AE-BA99-D6EE04CF4F20.jpeg

• Love 13

School this year is definitely going to be different. My daughters are both clamoring to have in-class school b/c they have special needs children with ADHD and they're going insane having them 24/7. None of them got any education from home last spring b/c both daughters have ADHD and learning disabilities, also. 

My college has mandated masks for everyone who enters the buildings. The physical plant manager went into every room that will be used for students next fall and mapped out how the room needed to be arranged and the number of people who can be in each. My tutoring lab can have 15 people, including staff, in the tutoring room and 5 people in the study room. I'm getting a Plexiglas shield in front of my desk and I'll have to sign in students rather than let them use the touchscreen monitor to sign in.

The outrage about masks at school is hilarious. My grandson's former babysitter is now an elementary teacher with a daughter in Junior High. She has been throwing a fit on Facebook about having them having to possibly wear masks in school, because "WHO says you only need them if you're working with infected people." The fact that people can be infected and asymptomatic is besides the point. 

I really empathize with those of you who have to make a choice between your health (and possibly your life) or having a job that pays the bills. There are really no good choices.

• Love 17
(edited)

My in-laws all took off to the beach on the 4th of July and came back with the virus. Thank goodness my granddaughter did not go with them! She usually does. Be safe, People!

As a kindergarten teacher that last 6 weeks was the roughest ever. I hadn’t had migraines in years, but they were back with a vengeance! Keep in mind that not everyone parent is a diligent one. Kindergarten children need help logging themselves in, as well as encouragement to work when they’d rather play. I had only about 5 students regularly log in for work. It was disappointing and heartbreaking. Ours is a low socioeconomic community, and has all the social problems  that come with that label. I hate to think that those kids who are already disadvantaged have become more so during this time. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Nysha said:

The outrage about masks at school is hilarious. My grandson's former babysitter is now an elementary teacher with a daughter in Junior High. She has been throwing a fit on Facebook about having them having to possibly wear masks in school, because "WHO says you only need them if you're working with infected people." The fact that people can be infected and asymptomatic is besides the point. 

I really empathize with those of you who have to make a choice between your health (and possibly your life) or having a job that pays the bills. There are really no good choices.

Your friend the teacher needs to check the WHO website because they do indeed recommend wearing fabric masks in areas where COVID is widespread, ie, the entire US.  They also recommend medical masks (the paper ones) for anyone over 60 or with a medical condition to wear when in public.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

@lookeyloo, I'm so sorry your son is so ill. It's good that he was able to see his brother & family. 
I wish I had words of wisdom that would ease your heart. You and your family are in my prayers and thoughts.

• Love 16

I have a question for you all that are social distancing during visitation with loved ones. 

I know you all know I fully respect each person doing what they have to do to keep their family members safe. 

My question is do you find a physically distant visit more satisfying than a video call? I haven’t met with someone I have needed to be physically distant with (outside of my god mother when she was finishing her cancer treatment), does it make you feel better to know they are physically present but separate compared to just a video call?

For my loved ones that are high risk and not “in my bubble” we have been FaceTiming/phone calls which has been fine with me, I honestly didn’t think to visit and stay distant (which might be a combination of many factors- their being on the other side of the city, energy level etc etc). Also I’m not a hugger by nature so it’s not like I want to hug people (my god daughter hugs me and my sister holds my hand after she decides to be a brat but that’s it.)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would so wear that dress during casual dress with some thong sandals and a denim jacket. It’s very cute. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Time for a confession.  Son is still very sick.  He is losing hope.  He has always wanted to see MT. Rushmore.  Somehow he managed to plan the trip, got us involved, and his brother and family from the PNW.  It was a very strange trip.  We traveled Delta first class, and wore KN95 masks covered by cloth masks and then a face shield.  Delta does not overcrowd planes and mandates masks.  Seems like the few people on board were compliant.  Interestingly enough the Atlanta airport when we left and came back was relatively deserted, which was surprising. The Minneapolis airport seemed very quiet to us.  We spent the layovers in Minneapolis at a Crown Club, or whatever those rooms are.  Also very few people.  Unless we were eating we kept all the gear on.  And of course sanitizing and hand washing.  Son from PNW drove, only ate at outside restaurants or in car.  They did stay in a hotel coming and going, but, brought food in and kept to their rooms.  Very low density on the road.

there are few cases around Rapid City and it is a nice little historic downtown with opportunities for outdoor dining, which is what we did when we all ate together.  Otherwise the two bubbles ate in the cars or in the rooms.  We didn't get to hug the grands.  Very odd.  We kept our distances. Also odd.

Sick son and husband spent a lot of time in their room.  The rest of us sometimes met in the Main Street Square a block from the hotel and sat spread apart.  So odd.  MT. Rushmore had people, but, not many and we were able to keep our distance.  We had our gear on and only about half the people were wearing masks.  But the weather was breezy and we felt okay enough about it.

Now we are home and quarantining ourselves for two weeks.  Only place I'll go is back and forth to sick son's house, since we are all in the same bubble.  Instacart it is.

The PNW son would have come visited his brother a few times, but, not in these times.  I pray for strength to carry on.

You've all been in my prayers. you are stronger than you realize or you wouldn't have gotten this far.  You've done all any mother could do and then some for your son, his husband and the rest of the family.

• Love 22

@Ohiopirate02, where is your dress from? This fellow 90s kid covets it. 

@lookeyloo, your family is in my thoughts, and I'm glad you were able to make some family memories during this time, even if it was all a bit odd. 

@Scarlett45, I'm not sure. We haven't seen anyone yet so we're still doing phone calls. I'm a super introvert so it's not bothering me. Maybe for some people it is more about being out of the house? 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

@Scarlett45, I'm not sure. We haven't seen anyone yet so we're still doing phone calls. I'm a super introvert so it's not bothering me. Maybe for some people it is more about being out of the house? 

Thanks for the response. 

Being able to leave the house unsupervised is my favorite part about adulthood. I had my Mom cracking up on Saturday because I said “I don’t even want to go out because these people are so gross! I will stay inside with my cat because I know in this house we wash our hands!”

She said “when YOU don’t want to go out it’s a new day!!!” And she was laughing so hard she bent over. 

Nope not going out there in these COVID19 streets!*

*Im being dramatic- yes I do leave the house, I have a chiropractic Appt because my neck is a mess, and I will pick up some pastries (pre order) for the weekend on Saturday. But I mean going out and interacting in crowds. NO COSTCO FOR ME! Tomorrow is grocery delivery day. 

• Love 15
(edited)

Totally Random Factoid: In 2018 there were 47 different spellings for Caden, given to 13,589 baby boys. 15 of those names were given to 401 baby girls that year. 

I've been going through the Social Security list of all the baby names given to 5 or more babies in 2018 and add all the different spellings to come up with a more accurate total. Jackson was given to 10,323 boys, but if you add all the variations the number goes up to 23,854. I know a lot of name purists abhor the ones beginning with Jax but the top 5 after Jackson are Jaxon, Jaxson, Jaxen, Jaxxon, Jaxsen, and Jaxyn, which all were used for more than 100 babies. Jax names are either going to overshadow Jack names in the next year or so, or it will become a timestamp name of the late 20-teens and early 20-twenties.

Edited by Nysha
  • Useful 6
  • Love 5

@lookeyloo, your trip sounded awesome.

@Scarlett45, for me it depends on who it is. I have only had in-person visits with family and a couple close friends. We do it outside, with distance and no masks. Yes it feels wonderful. I've done two inside visits, with distance and masks, and no, I didn't like it. Too weird, almost formal-ish, and a little anxiety inducing. But for anyone else, text, call or Face-time is just find for me.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

@Ohiopirate02, where is your dress from? This fellow 90s kid covets it. 

@lookeyloo, your family is in my thoughts, and I'm glad you were able to make some family memories during this time, even if it was all a bit odd. 

I use Stitch Fix and I got the dress through them.  They have a new feature where you can online shop with them from curated looks.  Some of the pieces they sell are exclusive to their site, or renamed to be an exclusive.  According to Stitch Fix, the dress is made by Gilli and called Jordyn Knit Dress.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I use Stitch Fix and I got the dress through them.  They have a new feature where you can online shop with them from curated looks.  Some of the pieces they sell are exclusive to their site, or renamed to be an exclusive.  According to Stitch Fix, the dress is made by Gilli and called Jordyn Knit Dress.  

My mom just got a stitch fix box- she was a fan, and only sent 2 things back. One skirt wasn’t long enough to over her knee brace and the other blouse wasn’t her style. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Time for a confession.  Son is still very sick.  He is losing hope.  He has always wanted to see MT. Rushmore.  Somehow he managed to plan the trip, got us involved, and his brother and family from the PNW.  It was a very strange trip.  We traveled Delta first class, and wore KN95 masks covered by cloth masks and then a face shield.  Delta does not overcrowd planes and mandates masks.  Seems like the few people on board were compliant.  Interestingly enough the Atlanta airport when we left and came back was relatively deserted, which was surprising. The Minneapolis airport seemed very quiet to us.  We spent the layovers in Minneapolis at a Crown Club, or whatever those rooms are.  Also very few people.  Unless we were eating we kept all the gear on.  And of course sanitizing and hand washing.  Son from PNW drove, only ate at outside restaurants or in car.  They did stay in a hotel coming and going, but, brought food in and kept to their rooms.  Very low density on the road.

there are few cases around Rapid City and it is a nice little historic downtown with opportunities for outdoor dining, which is what we did when we all ate together.  Otherwise the two bubbles ate in the cars or in the rooms.  We didn't get to hug the grands.  Very odd.  We kept our distances. Also odd.

Sick son and husband spent a lot of time in their room.  The rest of us sometimes met in the Main Street Square a block from the hotel and sat spread apart.  So odd.  MT. Rushmore had people, but, not many and we were able to keep our distance.  We had our gear on and only about half the people were wearing masks.  But the weather was breezy and we felt okay enough about it.

Now we are home and quarantining ourselves for two weeks.  Only place I'll go is back and forth to sick son's house, since we are all in the same bubble.  Instacart it is.

The PNW son would have come visited his brother a few times, but, not in these times.  I pray for strength to carry on.

It's been said by others, you are a wonderful mom and you have done so much to take care of your son and all your family.  I'm glad you all got to go on this trip together.  You and your family are in my prayers so often.  Watching any one you love suffer is hard.   When it's your child, no matter the age, it's even harder.  I pray that you all find peace in knowing how much love you all share.  

• Love 12

LookeyLoo, even if it was an odd trip, I'm still glad you got to do it. I'm thinking and praying for your family.

Scarlett45, I'm basically not interacting in person with anyone outside of talking to my neighbors with 6 feet between us. I do Zoom calls with friends but a lot of them are in different cities so I wouldn't normally be seeing them in person anyway. I'm doing basic things like grocery shopping (delivery did not work out well) and random doctor's appointments, but that's it. I haven't seen my family in person since January but my parents were exposed a few weeks ago and some of my cousins aren't taking precautions, so that's a no go. I have some autoimmune stuff so I'm trying to be extra careful. All said, I'm doing fine, but I'm a big introvert. 

• Love 10

We’re going back! I’ve been crying for about an hour. I really think I could probably swing it to not work for a year if I was really frugal (my roommate said I could stay for free, and she adamantly is discouraging me from going back), but I was just out of work for a year, and that’s not exactly what I want to do again so soon! True, I might find something, but now is a really bad time to be job searching. Please pray for me if you are the praying type! I’m waiting to see what my school’s exact plan is, and how covid is in a couple weeks here. I want to be there more than anything, and I definitely don’t want to lose this job! I’m also going to look into any kind of leave of absence they may offer. I feel so conflicted. I can’t imagine not having this job anymore, but I also can’t imagine risking my health! I didn’t think I’d even consider leaving until this happened, but now it seems more real. Ugh. So conflicted!

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

We’re going back! I’ve been crying for about an hour. I really think I could probably swing it to not work for a year if I was really frugal (my roommate said I could stay for free, and she adamantly is discouraging me from going back), but I was just out of work for a year, and that’s not exactly what I want to do again so soon! True, I might find something, but now is a really bad time to be job searching. Please pray for me if you are the praying type! I’m waiting to see what my school’s exact plan is, and how covid is in a couple weeks here. I want to be there more than anything, and I definitely don’t want to lose this job! I’m also going to look into any kind of leave of absence they may offer. I feel so conflicted. I can’t imagine not having this job anymore, but I also can’t imagine risking my health! I didn’t think I’d even consider leaving until this happened, but now it seems more real. Ugh. So conflicted!

I’m so sorry. This is an awful position to be in. Since you’re the praying kind- pray on it. Whatever decision you make your internet friends will support you. 

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I was just reading about this, and man the write up I saw was very convoluted.  I get the impression that Gov Cooper is punting this off onto the local school boards to decide.  Which is not a great idea, but I would rather this be decided locally.  I still don't get how teachers and other staff are going to be supported through this.  I saw where there were different plans where high school would go online so the middle and elementary schools would have classroom space to accommodate social distancing.  But, without extra money to hire more teachers, what is this really going to accomplish?  How are the various school systems supposed to pay for substitutes and sick leave for teachers and staff?  Do they plan on forcing teachers to self quarantine without getting paid?  

I feel for you and all my friends who are teachers.  This announcement is not really helping, and I think will cause more confusion.  

• Love 5

@Christina87, I'm sorry. I hope you can come to a decision that brings you peace. 

Not to be a total downer here, but I had hoped that we could go visit my sister, BIL, and kids this summer, but she mentioned a few weeks ago that they made the decision to let their kids do summer sports (which I totally understand) and that meant we didn't feel comfortable going to stay with them for a weekend. Now she and I are texting about schools and fall and whatnot, and she said she's not sure if they'd be able to come to my parents for the holidays this year due to all the various school germs and our parents being elderly (which was on my mind too). It's just sinking in for me that I literally have no idea when I'll get to see my big sister again 😪

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

We’re going back! I’ve been crying for about an hour.

I'm so sorry about this.

I am on the board of a local non-profit. The board president is in his late 60s and has a wife with a lot of health issues. Our board meeting was today and we were talking about the schools opening. His view is that the schools need open and he acknowledges that the kids will spread the virus to their parents. He thinks vulnerable people (like him and his wife) should stay in quarantine but everyone else should just go about their business using masks and social distancing as much as possible. He told me that the asymptomatic people are really getting a false positive and that children don't get it, and their under-60 aged parents will have a mild case. He dismissed my claims to the contrary and when I asked him how many people needed to die to get the economy going his answer was it's going to happen anyway, so we might as well get it over with sooner than later.

Basically, as long as he & his wife don't get it and die he doesn't really care if the rest of us do. During the meeting he actually called his son a Nervous Nelly because the son isn't willing to go back to the office to work, is still keeping himself and his kids in quarantine, and insists his parents wear a mask when they visit.

We are all gonna die. 

Edited by Nysha

It is interesting to see how differently my own two grown children are handling the school situation.  My son and his wife are keeping their two children home and doing virtual school. My daughter, who works in the school system, is eager to get back to school and thinks her three children will be just fine. Needless to say, my son's two kids are not allowed to see my daughter's kids. It has been difficult for some of the cousins because they are very close. Fortunately  (or sometimes unfortunately) they are able to spend time together playing online games and talking on the phone. 

• Love 2

My daughter, the 8th-grade G&T science teacher, just got word that there will be in-person teaching this fall. Parents can opt for remote learning if they choose. So basically she has to be in the classroom with students every day and keep up with programs for the kids learning at home. We are sick about it.

@lookeyloo I’m so grateful you had that trip with your son!  What an amazing memory for you all. ❤️

@Christina87 so difficult!  There is truly no solution that will work for students, teachers, and families. I feel for everyone. Risks and downsides no matter what. 😞

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

It is interesting to see how differently my own two grown children are handling the school situation.  My son and his wife are keeping their two children home and doing virtual school. My daughter, who works in the school system, is eager to get back to school and thinks her three children will be just fine. Needless to say, my son's two kids are not allowed to see my daughter's kids. It has been difficult for some of the cousins because they are very close. Fortunately  (or sometimes unfortunately) they are able to spend time together playing online games and talking on the phone. 

I am sorry for the distance between the cousins at this time. It’s great they can play games and talk on the phone. How old are the kids?

Parents are between a rock and a hard place. They maybe wish to practice XYZ preventative measures but other people their kids love may not feel the same way, and thus the kids won’t get the interaction with them. 

40 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

My daughter, the 8th-grade G&T science teacher, just got word that there will be in-person teaching this fall. Parents can opt for remote learning if they choose. So basically she has to be in the classroom with students every day and keep up with programs for the kids learning at home. We are sick about it.

This is a lot to ask of teachers with NO MORE PAY. While I think a back up remote plan is a good idea (like what if there is a blizzard???), two curriculums at once?? It’s a mess. 

• Love 8

Thank you, everyone! I love you guys! I’m just really faced with an impossible choice. I’m waiting to see what exactly the plan is from my school, but I know we will be required to do both in-person and online teaching. That makes no sense, as it’s twice the work! I am going to look into leave policies too. In the public schools, you can take a year’s leave and go back to your job. I’m not looking forward to the frugal lifestyle I’ll have to lead if I do that, but I might get lucky and find something else. I would probably lean towards taking the leave, though, if the school’s plan is ridiculous. However, I’m not sure charter schools have that option, and I really don’t want to let go of this job! I’d love to go back in a year when we can (I hope to god) have concerts and plays again, and the kids can move around, dance, sing, play instruments, and be happy! I’ll have to see what they offer. I also really feel for my coworker whose husband is in the final stages of dying from cancer. What decision is she going to make?! As you can imagine, she is completely torn. I feel like my school should close, since it’s in a high risk area, but I know they won’t. I’m going to try to take the next week to think about it without stressing, and then try to come to a decision. It makes me sad, because about this time last summer, I was so excited about going on interviews and choosing this job! I really don’t want to quit. Bad situation all around!

(edited)

@lookeyloo you are a wonderful mom and for you and your husband to be able to give your son a trip like that will be a wonderful memory. I'm also glad to read his brother and family were able to be there as well.   

@Christina87 reading your posts makes me grateful I don't have children and I'm not a teacher.  I have a family member who works in the school system (not as a teacher or administrator) and she hasn't worked since March. But she hasn't been social distancing either. This has been vacation time for her. I think the school district is still trying to figure out what to do.  Prayers that you can figure out what to do to keep yourself safe.  A coworker said one of her daughters would do OK with schooling remotely, but the other one is ADD and she does better in a school setting.  I wish there was an easy answer for everyone. 

In my office people were supposed to be returning 3 days a week full days in early July, but there are still people not coming back in. My team is four people, our boss and two other staff members.  I am the only one that is showing up on the three days I'm supposed to be there. One says "I'm doing fine from home. I don't think I need to go back into work." The other just shows up some days and other days she is "sick" or doesn't give any sort of excuse, she just doesn't come into the office.  I'M OVER IT!!! I'm thankful I have a job, but I'm tired of being the only dependable one. Also I'm the only one that has health problems that puts me in a higher risk group, but I'm still showing up.  Between the world situation and my age, trying to find a job would be next to impossible so I have to keep quiet and suck it up. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 3