Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, sixlets said:

The Blue Angels & Thunderbirds did a joint fly over for Baltimore, DC, and Atlanta today.  They put out their flight path yesterday, and we realized they wouldn't be going over our neighborhood.  We ended up driving about 15 minutes and sat in the parking lot of Trader Joe's, which was insanely busy.  They have a parking garage, which most people were using, so we picked the back parking aisle with very few cars.  It was over so quick, but it was amazing & a little emotional to watch.  They did it as a way to support healthcare workers.  This is one of the pics I got-the Angels are on the left, Thunderbirds on the right.  

95439663_10157181204048017_7945260009460334592_n.jpg

We saw a glimpse of them twice (they circled around) and then the plume. Even that was exhilarating. 

• Love 2

I'm so glad some of you are having the same difficulty not eating crap, I have baked more than I wanted to (yea I was forced ok I'll say that). This week was morning glory muffins which requires every THING you have in the kitchen-apples, carrots, sunflower seeds, pecans etc. They made pretty great pancakes but so so as muffins until they sat a day and got so moist. Last week was puff pastry of which I still have a disc in the freezer and to keep from eating the whole 20 sticks of butter in it, I will keep frozen until I actually deserve a treat and not just for a "fuckit" reason. I never thought I would thank god for a milk allergy but that keeps Ben and his evil friend Jerry out of my freezer. But I miss them.

I do my 10K steps but I'm afraid to put on "hard pants" aka jeans.

I've seen directions for masks out of tee shirts but now I need to learn to make a gag for the spouse as he has taken to arguing loudly on the phone with his idiot siblings. I have no sardine oil but I'm not at that stage yet.

• LOL 15
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, sixlets said:

The Blue Angels & Thunderbirds did a joint fly over for Baltimore, DC, and Atlanta today.  They put out their flight path yesterday, and we realized they wouldn't be going over our neighborhood.  We ended up driving about 15 minutes and sat in the parking lot of Trader Joe's, which was insanely busy.  They have a parking garage, which most people were using, so we picked the back parking aisle with very few cars.  It was over so quick, but it was amazing & a little emotional to watch.  They did it as a way to support healthcare workers.  This is one of the pics I got-the Angels are on the left, Thunderbirds on the right.  

95439663_10157181204048017_7945260009460334592_n.jpg

My husband saw an interview of an honored nurse in Atlanta on the news.   She was so proud because her brother was one of the fly over pilots.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

I've seen directions for masks out of tee shirts but now I need to learn to make a gag for the spouse as he has taken to arguing loudly on the phone with his idiot siblings. I have no sardine oil but I'm not at that stage yet.

I feel your pain deeply.  I'm thinking one of the bigger super bouncy balls like what you get out of the quarter machines and a couple of cut up bungee cords.  I am always available to help.

It's bad here too food wise - I don't feel it's cause I'm bored or stressed, but damn I want to support the local small business hot dog/hamburger/pizza joints and so we've been eating out more than usual.  Weekend wise I've started the morning with coffee and oatmeal from Mickey D's, and even that place is way less busy than it used to be.  It's my own willpower that's lacking.  Damn it, now I want donuts!  Sugar twists...raspberry filled...

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Friends today I hit my covid19 frustration point. I was doing so well but after spending thousands of dollars on plumbing repairs in my basement (with perhaps more thousands to follow this summer), there being no organic eggs at Costco, and only being able to purchase one bottle of vinegar (I wanted two so I wouldn’t have to go back to Costco for another month). I just want to sit and pout!!!!!!

And were are my bath & body works candles for my Mom’s Mother’s Day gift????😡😡😡😡😡

• Love 12

I am already at my COVID-19 Breaking Point. Been residing there for a while. I decided I will return to my office tomorrow (Monday) because I am in my office by myself. I could have stayed working there but I did NOT want to be in my office building all by myself. Even with locking myself in, I did not want to do that. But after 873 weeks of being home, it is the right thing for me to do. Maybe it will dial down my bitchiness a notch or 2.

Then my Drama Queen sister-in-law told us she had “the corona.” As well as her lazy son. Um, no, ya didn’t. She was not tested nor did she go to the doctor. She just woke up one day sick, most likely with flu symptoms, and decided she had it. Then lazy son was sick, and he had it! There may be a teeny tiny chance they had it, but I seriously, seriously doubt it. 

I realized a day later that if they want to think they had it, then let them believe it. It doesn’t matter to me one way or another, and it doesn’t affect me one way or another.

• Love 11

We've been having some funky things going on in our complex since self isolation started and management moved off site. They are staying that way regardless of what the government orders. Even a leaky faucet is enough to set someone off because there is now a huge list of protocols to follow rather than "Just make sure the repairman can get to your sink". A guy just posted about drinking an entire bottle of whiskey yesterday evening because his anxiety is so bad. 😬

I started binge watching Mom. I'm not entirely sure why I find that show endearing. I really dislike Chuck Lorre and shouldn't find it endearing. Yet I do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

A couple months ago, I saw a priest having drive-in confession. The priest was sitting on a bench in the parking lot. The penitant was sitting in their car with some distance between them. Another car was waiting several yards back. There were orange cones helpfully marking out where the cars should be. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

A couple months ago, I saw a priest having drive-in confession. The priest was sitting on a bench in the parking lot. The penitant was sitting in their car with some distance between them. Another car was waiting several yards back. There were orange cones helpfully marking out where the cars should be. 

If they are smart they will buy some sort of drive thru speaker. That way the priest can wear a headset and people can confess into the speaker. We're all used to drive thrus for food. Why not confessing your sins?

Maybe Drive-In Churches will become a thing. Like drive in movies used to be. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Maybe Drive-In Churches will become a thing. Like drive in movies used to be. 

when my daughter lived in grand rapids mi probably 10 years ago, there was a drive in church down the road. they did their broadcast over an AM radio channel to the cars.

it had been a thing for a long time and they are still in business.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

We've been having some funky things going on in our complex since self isolation started and management moved off site. They are staying that way regardless of what the government orders. Even a leaky faucet is enough to set someone off because there is now a huge list of protocols to follow rather than "Just make sure the repairman can get to your sink". A guy just posted about drinking an entire bottle of whiskey yesterday evening because his anxiety is so bad. 😬

I started binge watching Mom. I'm not entirely sure why I find that show endearing. I really dislike Chuck Lorre and shouldn't find it endearing. Yet I do.

I kind of hate myself for enjoying 2 1/2 Men.

• LOL 6
(edited)

My frustration overflowed yesterday when I went to pick up groceries curbside. It started when they didn’t give me any update on timing, no status was available on line. So, I pulled into pickup area at appointed time next to my cousin who has the same name as my dad (order in his name)..first and last, long story. So, I called and gave name on my order. Anyway, they gave part of my order to my cousin, I think. I called twice from the parking lot to check status and was told they were working on it....  Then, I waited for 50 minutes when another car pulls up and they bring her order to her after 5 minutes!!! I then got out of my car and voiced my displeasure through the 2 masks I was wearing. Lol I’m not returning to that store. Plus, they didn’t have 1/3 of what I ordered. I bet that’s the part they gave my cousin. Lol

I need to get my mom a Mother’s Day gift, but little time to order. Any suggestions?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
(edited)
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I need to get my mom a Mother’s Day gift, but little time to order. Any suggestions?

is she a person who sends cards to lots of people?

my mom is,

my sister ordered her a huge set of cards for mother's day. I am on a rural USPS route and can buy stamps from my mail carrier so we are giving mom that for mother's day.  mostly in hopes she will stop driving to the dollar store for cards and post office for stamps every week

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

There was an adult car wash in nearby town.

On the first season of Real Housewives of New Jersey, a son of one of the wives aspired to open a stripper carwash. Maybe this one is his. 😁

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I have hit the wall today, too. Only the cat isn’t on my shit list today. I rarely drink, for health reasons, but today I took a page from @Jynnan tonnix ‘s book and made myself sangria. I’m on #3 and starting to mellow out.

Welcome to Team Fuckit!

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

There was a drive-thru strip club about 20 minutes from where I grew up.  I just wanted to feel included 🤭

I just read they’re starting those up again. Some industries just won’t be kept down. 😁

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I have hit the wall today, too. Only the cat isn’t on my shit list today. I rarely drink, for health reasons, but today I took a page from @Jynnan tonnix ‘s book and made myself sangria. I’m on #3 and starting to mellow out.

My wall has been hit.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

There was a drive-thru strip club about 20 minutes from where I grew up.  I just wanted to feel included 🤭

I'm willing to invest in this business venture, except we would have to do Venmo payments for tips. And couldn't serve alcohol. 

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Ryan Stiles was the best part of that show. I will grudgingly give Chuck Lorre credit for that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

is she a person who sends cards to lots of people?

my mom is,

my sister ordered her a huge set of cards for mother's day. I am on a rural USPS route and can buy stamps from my mail carrier so we are giving mom that for mother's day.  mostly in hopes she will stop driving to the dollar store for cards and post office for stamps every week

She is and that’s a great idea! On it. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Gah, Mr. Sumi is watching it on a bloody loop! I have been relegated to the bedroom TV to watch... anything else.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I watched way more of both 2 and a Half Men and Anger Management than I am strictly comfortable admitting IRL when i was working on my thesis. I also watched a lot of The Young and the Restless and the movie Predator on repeat at that time as some weird coping mechanism to deal with the stress. 🤣

Sorry for all of you having bad days. I may have reached my peak pandemic snapping point earlier this week when I ventured into walmart for the first time in 6 weeks. If that wasn't the peak, I shudder to think about what hissy fit the world is in store for. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

Today lunch was the rest of the penne alla vodka sauce and garlic bread. Dinner was Frito pie. If I survive the night, it's nothing but water and salads for the rest of the week. I don't know why I craved and ate so much crap this weekend. 

• Love 7

I think you all would understand. I had to place 2 grocery orders because my regular store doesn't offer alcohol for curbside pickup. Walmart does, but they were out of stock when I picked up my order. I went to the store just before they closed and picked up 2 bottles of margaritas and some Mike's hard lemonade.  I'm trying to alternate between hard liquor and malt beverages so it doesn't seem like I'm drinking all of the time. Walmart also has those theater size candy available so I have Mild Duds and Mike and Ike's too. 

• Love 14

I wanted to share this because I thought it was adorable, and also to snark on the Duggars a tiny bit because their kids could only hope to be this cute while quoting scripture.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

Okay, I am generally completely immune to babies...Duggar babies for sure, but also just babies. Not wired that way. #shrug

But that little Queen Of All She Surveys just makes me all smooshy.

Rock on, gorgeous darling. And don’t you ever let a single soul tell you otherwise.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Do not be ashamed. I rewatched The Phantom Menace today. On purpose. I thought it couldn’t be as bad as I remembered. What an unholy mess of a movie. 

• LOL 8

Was playing a word game early this morning. The 6 letter word in the first round was purity. Chuckled a wee bit. Next round the word was skirts. The Duggars or JillR are stalking me.

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I wanted to share this because I thought it was adorable, and also to snark on the Duggars a tiny bit because their kids could only hope to be this cute while quoting scripture.

OMG, she is precious and definitely knows her scripture. She has left the little Duggars in the dust. I loved when she said "my brother and Miami" and how she followed the words with her finger and turned the pages.  We will have to watch for her on the preaching circuit in years to come. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I think you all would understand. I had to place 2 grocery orders because my regular store doesn't offer alcohol for curbside pickup. Walmart does, but they were out of stock when I picked up my order. I went to the store just before they closed and picked up 2 bottles of margaritas and some Mike's hard lemonade.  I'm trying to alternate between hard liquor and malt beverages so it doesn't seem like I'm drinking all of the time. Walmart also has those theater size candy available so I have Mild Duds and Mike and Ike's too. 

I had to give up on ordering curbside at Walmart.  TOO many items were out of stock or store purchase only.  It was ridiculous.  All their meats had to be puchased in the store!  Facetiming with friends yesterday, let me know that there are some upscale stores in certain Raleigh locations that have plenty, though, they are expensive.  So, I'm going to plan a trip there this week.  Just a lot of extra driving, since, I'm staying out of county due to covid. 

I'm trying to stay positive, but, I'm emotionally exhausted trying to keep my parents focused on the restrictions and safety.  Then, I heard that some of my friends are violating social distancing laws!  I just don't get it.  A few of my friends are like me and really put it as a priority.  It seems there are those who are committed to the restrictions and those who just do it when it's convenient, but, ignore it when it suits them.  I fear this behavior. 

• Love 7

i gave up. we are all thankfully healthy so i let my daughter and her husband and my sweet granddaughter come over yesterday to celebrate her birthday. it was great because we cleaned off all the dirt and grime from the patio, re-arranged the furniture out there, turned on the ceiling fans and ordered sandwiches for lunch. we didn't touch each other and i sat at the opposite end of the big table from her family.  the weather was lovely and it was so sweet watching sweet granddaughter chalk up all my concrete.  then, they were gone. it has bolstered my spirits.  

• Love 14
(edited)

I guess we all have different opinions on how to respond to the restrictions.  I intend to continue with my focus as long as necessary.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

I need to share this story which happened to me over the weekend.  I live with my mom and both of us are still working.  She sells cellphones and her job is deemed essential.  She had to work on Saturday.  I had a lazy morning and then went to clean my bathroom.  I usually clean practically naked especially when there is water involved.  I had just finished and usually i hop in the shower after cleaning it out, but decided not to.  I was chilling for a few minutes when my doorbell rang.  I hastily found my bathrobe, threw it on and answered the door.  It was my  church secretary and her son dropping off some strawberries.  

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

Assuming nobody gets sick between now and then, I'm spending next weekend at my daughter's house. My state is no longer under stay at home orders and I'm still staying away from everyone else as much as possible. At some point, everyone is going to have to decide what their personal safety level is.

All 60 of the cases in my county have  been linked to care centers and everyone who has died has been over 60 and living in a care center. Which is still very sad, because these are people who deserved better. But, it means right now the risk is pretty low.

• Love 2

My state is still under sheltering in orders and we are complying. Masks when out in public have been added to the order. We finally saw another person wearing a mask on our walk yesterday. Most people in my neighborhood are social distancing when walking or chatting.  We're going to continue to order groceries online and pick up curbside.

I understand the urge to be with loved ones. I feel it too, but I don't feel safe yet doing that. I understand that this may go on for up to two years. That's heartbreaking! Today our twin granddaughters turn one. How I would love to be there! But it will be an online celebration. A friend of mine told me yesterday that they went to drop off birthday gifts for their 3 year old granddaughter, who cried because Grandma couldn't (and to her 3 year old brain, wouldn't) pick her up. She's just too young to understand! My friend also told me that there is a Covid case in the very nice assisted living home where her father lives. Terrifying!

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Why are people wearing masks under their nose/chin? Why even bother wearing anything. 

This is the one I don't get. I was at the store yesterday, wearing my mask, and several people had a mask on, but not over their nose. I get the damn things are hard to breathe in, but it's an incentive to get in and get out so you can take it off in the car. 

• Love 13

Yeah, I'm in this for the long haul, understanding that I may be distancing for a year or more. I'm willing to do it. I can facetime, meet at a distance, text, email, etc. If I got sick, I'd go to one of the best facilities in the country Duke or UNC, but, still......I just don't think I'd survive it. I'm not in the higher age group, but, do have Type I diabetes, which, I recently read if well controlled, not considered to be like Type II diabetes for purposes of the virus.  But, I must consider how to run my law practice and that will require time and work, but, I can do it with online conferences, and in person meetings when necessary in a disinfected office with proper PPE and distancing.  

One thing that is now bothering is that eventually, I'll have to go to court. I have some cases that are set for May....I'm really dreading it. I saw some footage of people in the courtroom last week and they were not far apart and had NO masks on!  A colleague told me that she went down and NONE of the courthouse staff had on masks!  So, I'm not sure why they are so clueless.  I'll wear mine into the courtroom as a courtesy to others.  Not sure why they aren't doing it.  ODD.  I'm attending a teleconference tomorrow hosted by local Judges. I hope they address this issue.  Do you know how many people go through that place?  Thousands every day!  I'm really going to have to raise my fees to risk my life like that. lol 

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm still staying away from my mom, but I am ready to say "screw it."  My birthday is Friday and then Mother's Day is Sunday so normally we would spend time together on Saturday as a combination celebration. But we are still staying apart from each other. We do see each other occasionally for a brief period of time if one of us has been to the grocery store and we have something for the other person. But that consists of one of us staying in the car and the other person getting whatever was bought.  
My hair is getting as long as Jessa Duggar's so I'm ready for a haircut but I will be waiting. It looks like the numbers are increasing in Georgia since our stupid, idiotic governor reopened things.  I'm tired of attempting to work from home.  Yeah I'm just over it, but I'm not over it enough to risk lives just to get back to "real" life.  The struggle is real. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 18