Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

There is a charity that Mr. Dance and I have contributed to for many years. As a thank you (and probably an encouragement to continue) they usually send us several really unique and beautiful greeting cards that I have always enjoyed using for birthdays, thank you, anniversary occasions. Suddenly, starting about a year ago, every single card includes a New Testament Psalm on the inside page. I now cannot use the cards as I am not going to presume the recipients want that. I would not. I wrote the charity nicely about our feelings, but their response made it clear they would not stop. We really want to support the charity, but feel conflicted now about it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

That’s gross and obnoxious and I’d let them know they got their first and last sale 

3 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm a Christian, and that would irritate the hell out of me too. 

So am I and that would tick me off. I'd let them know they got their first and last sale from me too. I'm coming to them to buy a product not to be preached at about Jesus. If I wanted that I'd go to church or pick up a Bible. I don't want or need some random person I don't know sending me a piece of paper with my order doing that crap. 

• Love 12

Speaking of gross and obnoxious, I'm taking a break from this forum for awhile. In another topic I questioned why it's apparently okay to snark on a family's natural coloring and the response was, what is really meant by "blonde" is "inbred and creepy." 

What. the. fuck??????

I'm a natural blonde and there are lots of them in my extended family. We aren't inbred, or creepy, or fundie. But apparently that's what our skin/eyes/hair colors mean.

But yeah I'm pissed, and it's silly to let something that's supposed to be a fun distraction piss me off.

See ya later folks.

• Love 3

Yikes & wow @Oldernowiser. Was there anything on the seller's page to indicate her religious beliefs? If not, I'd reach out to Etsy and register a complaint, and depending on how badly you want the seeds, I'd consider sending them back for a refund.

We all have our own spiritual beliefs, but it's not appropriate to push those beliefs on another during a business transaction.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Speaking of gross and obnoxious, I'm taking a break from this forum for awhile. In another topic I questioned why it's apparently okay to snark on a family's natural coloring and the response was, what is really meant by "blonde" is "inbred and creepy." 

What. the. fuck??????

I'm a natural blonde and there are lots of them in my extended family. We aren't inbred, or creepy, or fundie. But apparently that's what our skin/eyes/hair colors mean.

But yeah I'm pissed, and it's silly to let something that's supposed to be a fun distraction piss me off.

See ya later folks.

Jeevie, don't go. We all have opinions that differ sometimes. And I get that some posts come off as condescending, rude or 'educational', but don't let one, or a few posts push you away. I, and many others enjoy your posts and would hate to see you go.

• Love 19
8 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Me too. That was unacceptable.

I am a Christian, and, quite frankly, I do not need seed retailers trying to insert themselves into my private life.  Including a Bible verse, maybe one referring to planting seeds, of which there are a bunch, would be fine.  They crossed the line when they decided to get involved in your personal beliefs.  I'd let them know I didn't appreciate it and I'd send a copy to the management at Etsy.  This is no different than going to the mall and forcing tracts on people, IMO.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

What. the. fuck??????

See ya later folks.

Sorry, Jeeves, I was the one who replied to your query about blonds.  I honestly feel that no one was meaning to denigrate blonds, but, just snarking on a particular family who are indeed, kinda creepy.  In my post, I specifically said that it was creepy that the husband and wife looked so much alike which would be true if they were redheads or brunettes, too,

I hope you stay, but, if you need to take a break, I understand.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

I am a Christian, and, quite frankly, I do not need seed retailers trying to insert themselves into my private life.  Including a Bible verse, maybe one referring to planting seeds, of which there are a bunch, would be fine.  They crossed the line when they decided to get involved in your personal beliefs.  I'd let them know I didn't appreciate it and I'd send a copy to the management at Etsy.  This is no different than going to the mall and forcing tracts on people, IMO.

I find this totally different than going to mall and having some random shopper push a tract on me. Making a purchase is a business transaction, unless both the buyer and seller are aware that religion is part of the deal, it doesn't belong there.

• Love 9
Just now, GeeGolly said:

I find this totally different than going to mall and having some random shopper push a tract on me. Making a purchase is a business transaction, unless both the buyer and seller are aware that religion is part of the deal, it doesn't belong there.

I'll concede that point, but, in both cases, it is wrong to force it on anyone.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

What. the. fuck??????

See ya later folks.

If I offended you I’m sorry 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Yikes & wow @Oldernowiser. Was there anything on the seller's page to indicate her religious beliefs? If not, I'd reach out to Etsy and register a complaint, and depending on how badly you want the seeds, I'd consider sending them back for a refund.

We all have our own spiritual beliefs, but it's not appropriate to push those beliefs on another during a business transaction.

I purchased a couple of commercially produced face masks from a family company in Colorado.  I was very annoyed to see that they came with a scripture quote printed on the inside of the fabric.  I'm not a believer but I didn't do anything or leave any feedback.  I hate how people feel the need to push their beliefs on others.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

What. the. fuck??????

See ya later folks.

Jeeves, I hope you don't go--I always really enjoy your posts!--but I understand if you need a break. 😞

• Love 9

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Etsy is pretty much washing their hands of it, which means I can be a bitch in my review or directly to the seller, thus confirming their martyrdom for Jesus and that Godless liberals do suck, or I can say nothing.

I resent being in this position.

• Love 10
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Etsy is pretty much washing their hands of it, which means I can be a bitch in my review or directly to the seller, thus confirming their martyrdom for Jesus and that Godless liberals do suck, or I can say nothing.

I resent being in this position.

Mention it in a review. Even if they feel martyred about it, others will at least have a heads up, so they can steer clear if it is not their cup of tea. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I'll concede that point, but, in both cases, it is wrong to force it on anyone.

I agree. I hate when people try to hand me a tract in a mall, I hated it when they'd show up on at my middle school to shove small Bibles into the hands of preteens, and I'd hate it if I bought something online and they put in a paper with a Bible verse. Its the same thing trying to force their religion and their version of it on other people. No one likes that. And you know they'd be pissed if anyone did that to them especially if they were a different faith. I've gotten better since my preteens at the no thank you and if they keep trying to push it then get more stern. If a buyer had sent something I'd send them a message if I'm able to that I didn't think it was right or put it in my review so other potential buyers will at least know their getting that if they order from this person.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Jeeves said:

What. the. fuck??????

See ya later folks.

😞

12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

See ya later folks.

Don't go. 😦

I'm (used to be) blonde and (still am) blue eyed, and I took it more as a dig at the fundie obsession with building huge WHITE armies for Jesus.   We white peeps just a lot of the time happen to be blond and blue eyed. We just don't usually look like brothers and sisters when we find our mates, like the fundies do.

(Not me..I went with a Puerto Rican)😁

I too have lots and lots of very, very pale blondes in my family...and I happen to not think any of my family look creepy or inbred either....it's just...THESE fundie  family trees don't seem to fork...kwim?

Don't go!

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I too have lots and lots of very, very pale blondes in my family...and I happen to not think any of my family look creepy or inbred either..

Just to prove my point (and to brag) this is MY niece Samantha on this Huggies package. Can't get much whiter (and cuter, if I do say so myself) than this!

She just graduated high school this year, btw. ❤

Screenshot_20200510-002940.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

A little quarantine humor. 😁

That was hilarious! I have that same reaction when I have to get dressed and go to the doctor. Although I can at least wear pants that have an elastic waist. Wondering if I'll still remember how to drive. Since its been almost six years. They say its just like riding a bike. I certainly hope so! Wait until you get out on the road you'll be thrown by that big bright thing in the sky, there's so many cars on the road and how loud everything is. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I finally was able to see my mom today.  I had not seen her since the beginning of February because her Assisted Living home was, and is, under strict lockdown.  I took her some new clothes, so I knocked on the front door and handed them in so they could sanitize the package and take it to her apartment.  I went to her window and tapped on it until she came.  She finally got the blinds up, and I stood outside in the flowerbed and wore a mask.  A caregiver came in just then and opened the window so I could talk to her through the screen.  Getting her to figure out how to open the plastic bags to get the pants and tops out was a long process, but she tried them all on and they fit--and she likes them!!  She has been wearing the same set of sweats for weeks, so I had her put those in the laundry basket.  She did not know where or what the laundry basket was, but she does follow directions pretty well, and the dirty clothes did get in the laundry (until she takes them out again).  She had no idea why she was in her apartment all the time, had never heard of the pandemic, and didn't ask why I was wearing a mask.  We are so lucky that she is living there, with excellent care.  Except, I'm not too sure what to do about this.  The Activities Director came in while I was with her.  She is kind of different, and I'm not sure she is the best for the job--but not my problem.  What is my problem, she came into Mom's apartment with her mask around her neck instead of over her nose and mouth.  I don't know if I should say something or not.  I'll discuss it with my brother later today.

I stopped at my dad's grave on my way, and I knew there would be a lot of people at the cemetery for Mother's Day.  I just wasn't prepared for how many people were there, and how many were bringing lawn chairs and umbrella and "camping out".  There was one group that had had least 30 people with more cars arriving.  Everyone had balloons, and they were having a real party.  I didn't see any masks there, either.

Where I did see masks was at CVS pharmacy.  95% of the customers and 100% of the staff were wearing masks, including whole families with children.  The ones not wearing masks were older men.

All in all, a good day.  My car had a nice run to charge the battery, and I was able to get home before the heat this afternoon.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

'

• Love 20
(edited)

I filmed my wedding video and sent it to my friend’s sister today. It’s a surprise to the couple. I did it outside and it was nice and sunny.  I’m looking forward to attending virtually this weekend.  They are a super couple. Instead of wedding gifts to them, they have asked that anyone who wishes to give, donate to a local food bank or domestic violence shelter.  What an awesome way to start out your marriage!

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 22
(edited)

I may have mentioned my (huge) old lady crush on Lin-Manuel Miranda, and my obsession with Hamilton?? I am soo happy to see this coming. I'm getting Disney+ just for it! 😁

I better have SOMEONE irl I can watch it with! I don't care if we have to still sit outside six feet apart while watching on separate computers😂

rps20200512_122230.jpg

Screenshot_20200512-121036.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I may have mentioned my (huge) old lady crush on Lin-Manuel Miranda, and my obsession with Hamilton?? I am soo happy to see this coming. I'm getting Disney+ just for it! 😁

I better have SOMEONE irl I can watch it with! I don't care if we have to still sit outside six feet apart while watching on separate computers😂

rps20200512_122230.jpg

Screenshot_20200512-121036.jpg

I may have screamed a little when I first saw this. 

• Love 7
On 5/10/2020 at 7:13 PM, ChiCricket said:

I've been sick with a stomach bug for two days, and was still in bed around 2 this afternoon, when my husband came in and said  "you have to come downstairs!"

I groaned "leave me aloooone!"

Then I heard honking, so I got dressed.

My 3 Illinois kids and my 6 Illinois grands did a drive by mothers day parade for me.

I mean..as much as a drive by as you can do on a little dead end street. 😊

So cute, so nice of them, so cold and rainy outside! 

They made me stand way back and opened the door and threw all the posters and gifts and balloons in (they didn't want to leave them on the porch to get soaked.)

They called and included my other two kids and 7 grands (the ones who live on a boat, and the ones who live in Germany) on a video call while everyone was parked in front, so I got to see everybody at once ! :::::sniff:::::😁

now I'm going to crawl back into bed and open cards and gifts when I feel better.

rps20200510_185405.jpg

Clearly you are well loved, @ChiCricket! I hope you are feeling better!

• Love 7
(edited)
5 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Clearly you are well loved, @ChiCricket! I hope you are feeling better!

I really am..and feeling much better today, finally.

Thanks for all the well wishes 💗

Ps just opened my gifts..now I need to figure out what an echo dot is used for, and how to use it..😁 

Ps...and a...smart plug? Huh? 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

My endocrinologist office called today and said our visit next week would be by phone, not in person.  I'm really relieved, as I don't look forward to going to that large medical facility, with huge parking deck, elevators, concourse, and literally thousands of patients, which, they may have less now since they've cut back on office visits. Also, I fear that I gained some weight back.  I had lost 6 pounds back in March when I had that cold from hell for 4 weeks, that I still wonder about being covid.  

For Mother's Day, I picked up Chinese, my mom's favorite for the family.  I also bought a huge ice cream cake.  Mom  made a pan of dark chocolate brownies!  Then, one SIL brought a lemon meringue pie and the other sent chocolate covered strawberries!  It was just RIDICULOUS!  lol 

• Love 8

Okay, I have a couple of nephews from AZ who plan to travel to CA to see their ailing step grandfather (but not related to me....long story 😁) atvthe end of this month. They want to see me. How do I tell them no without sounding like a paranoid lunatic? They're coming to visit a man in his 80s with seemingly no regard for his health. I personally think they should stay at home, but they're younger and apparently think they're invincible. 

I'm SEVERELY (thanks, Jill!) lacking in tact. How do I let them down easy? 

• Love 4

Do you have any health issues you could blame?  Thankfully, I don't have any family members threatening to visit, but that would by automatic go-to.  My doctor told me I was in the high-risk category even though everything is controlled.  Truth be told, I'm kinda glad I have a built in excuse.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Do you have any health issues you could blame?  Thankfully, I don't have any family members threatening to visit, but that would by automatic go-to.  My doctor told me I was in the high-risk category even though everything is controlled.  Truth be told, I'm kinda glad I have a built in excuse.

No, perfectly healthy. I don't want to make something up; I am a horrible liar

• LOL 1

Sigh, Sew Sumi. That’s tricky, but you could go with the truth. “I’m afraid of getting the virus, or worse, giving it to someone else.” Hint, hint. 

I try to remember...”no” is a complete sentence.

In only slightly related news, the grocery delivery guy showed up today without gloves or a mask. WTF. Mr. Wiser, who meets these guys out in the driveway for the distance dropoff, kept backing up and offered him one of our masks...he turned it down. 👿 He wasn’t a kid, either.

So I called the manager and in the nicest possible way, ratted him out.

We haven’t done this for two months so that some moron can come breathe on my husband.

• Love 8
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Okay, I have a couple of nephews from AZ who plan to travel to CA to see their ailing step grandfather (but not related to me....long story 😁) atvthe end of this month. They want to see me. How do I tell them no without sounding like a paranoid lunatic? They're coming to visit a man in his 80s with seemingly no regard for his health. I personally think they should stay at home, but they're younger and apparently think they're invincible. 

I'm SEVERELY (thanks, Jill!) lacking in tact. How do I let them down easy? 

I’m not sure of your situation, but, I have said about my mom to unthinking family members, (because, she’s not bold enough to say it herself) She’s been under self-quarantine for weeks, following all recommendations, including no visitors. So, can you FaceTime with her? Either that or wait til the covid matter is under control.  If I thought grandfather would appreciate it, I’d ask if he wanted me to intervene. If not, I’d just speak for myself.

Or, if you’re inclined say, please wear a mask. I’m going to set up chairs on the porch, so we can keep our distance. I feel very strongly about social distancing.

Also, check your state’s restrictions. Some states still have them. I abide by them.

It’s just a poor idea to go visiting. And, if anyone said they were coming to visit me.....lol. My response would be, Have you lost your mind? That sounds more like the lunatic.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

I live in a condo, no porch. Coming here is not an option. And I live in one of the most locked down counties in CA. They can park their car at the curb, and I can meet them outside. That's all I've come up with. 

Yes, they're insane to travel in the middle of a pandemic. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I live in a condo, no porch. Coming here is not an option. And I live in one of the most locked down counties in CA. They can park their car at the curb, and I can meet them outside. That's all I've come up with. 

Hmmm.....If you feel ok with it, I’d say that. 

But, if restrictions are still on, I’d likely say it’s still a violation here, so, it’ll have to wait a while. We all need to do our part to abide by the orders. In my area, you still aren’t supposed to just visit for the fun of it. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Maybe a blanket statement.

How very thoughtful of you but Mr Sumi and I aren't having visitors during this time.

• Love 17

Yeah, I'd just go with, "I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable with that." That's what my mom did when her hair stylist called her to make an appointment (Arizona is opening way too fast!). If they press, just repeat. You are not under any obligation to see anyone in quarantine, and you can blame Gavin Newsom if you need to.

I'd actually be interested to see how it goes for them with Arizona plates coming into California. Has CHP set up checkpoints like the agricultural inspection? California has made our position perfectly clear and we don't take kindly to those who aren't taking this seriously.

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Yeah, I'd just go with, "I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable with that." That's what my mom did when her hair stylist called her to make an appointment (Arizona is opening way too fast!). If they press, just repeat. You are not under any obligation to see anyone in quarantine, and you can blame Gavin Newsom if you need to.

I'd actually be interested to see how it goes for them with Arizona plates coming into California. Has CHP set up checkpoints like the agricultural inspection? California has made our position perfectly clear and we don't take kindly to those who aren't taking this seriously.

They're flying in. They'll only be here around 24 hours. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I say just be honest. I've had a couple of random people suggest they meet me right now, and I just tell them "No, I'm not comfortable doing that in the middle of a pandemic." And they just sort of trail off from there. 

• Love 11
On 5/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, Mindthinkr said:

7DD2FD10-1E54-4E32-9086-A49D8AA58494.thumb.jpeg.61226dc4d9fe94f15378021b9866d749.jpeg

I’m a bit of a science nerd so this is the card that my daughter made me for Mother’s Day. I loved it. 

This is the coolest Mother's Day card I've seen.

**Apparently, if you don't hit 'Submit Reply', it doesn't submit your post. 

@Sew Sumi, this is a time when tact isn't necessary, just the truth: "I love you, but I'm not willing to die to see you." or something like that.

• Love 12