Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Temperance said:

@latetotheparty  I saw this and thought you guys meant Justin Timberlake. 

(JT= James Taylor.)

It's a generational thing, I think.  I knew it was James Taylor, but I suspect my 16 years younger sister would think of Justin first.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

Throw me on the pile of those who are sick of tv. I mostly watch YouTube. I have a fascination with Korean housewife vloggers. They make cleaning an air conditioning vent look like an Oscar caliber short-film. I also watch a lot of pet channels. Topi the Corgi is my favorite. My other guilty pleasure is English Heritage and the saucy Mrs. Crocombe.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

I am not a TV or youtube type person but I try to keep up with the grandkids. so nfl draft, disney descendants and the grandson's latest fascination "Dude Perfect" -  they love it and it is harmless fun. they facetime me to talk about it.

Dude Perfect Quarantine Stereotypes made me laugh

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Has anyone else noticed a change in their TV viewing habits since all this started?

I don't feel like watching anything I used to like watching. Usually I watched snarkable things like the Duggars, 90 day Finance, Married At First Sight, etc. 

The trashier/weirder people and families, the better.

I also liked watching The View, Late Night programs and anything to do with news or politics.  Now? No way..can't stand any of them. (I do watch local virus updates.)

I have no interest in any other TV anymore.  Just me?

I like the at-home version of Samantha Bee, Stephen Colbert, and Trevor Noah (the latter, I think is doing really well under these circumstances). That said, we watched an hour or so of them before going to sleep last night and I think they invaded my dreams. I may keep it lighter tonight and see. 

5 hours ago, Zella said:

I live in Arkansas and did not know this. I've never tried a fried pickle, and though I love pickles, I think I'm going to pass. 😉

4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my goodness, I had my first fried pickles about 6 months ago. They're the bomb.

Oh, Zella, I agree with Geegolly, you must try fried pickles, ideally dipped in ranch dressing. Sounds gross, I know, but when done well, they are fantastic.

• Love 7

The few times that I have been in the car, I've listened to free Serius radio show Dr. Medicine out of NYC.  Anyone else?  He has some great inside stories and informative guests.  

(edited)
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm getting used to facetiming with my friends and taking webinars online with Zoom. 

I'm getting used to it (with my family) but I don't like it at all. It was already bad enough that I had to communicate that way with my son and his family in Germany..now it's all five of my kids and all 14 grandkids I can only "see" that way.

I think it's harder (for me) to keep up and hear everything everyone is saying,

much less try to get a word in edgewise myself..kwim?

It's like I'm always stepping on someone else starting to talk, which I don't think I do in real life.

And even private one on one conversations...someone else in the family always seems to be in earshot.

I'm sometimes like "shoot! Can't their FATHER take care of them for two minutes while we talk uninterrupted?!" But I just think it..because they already feel that way themselves.😂

It's exhausting.  And I miss good old HUGS.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10

Yeah, I think there is definitely a certain courtesy factor when FaceTiming. Some people go let their pets outside, talk to their pets, grab snacks, start laundry, etc. .....I don’t get it. Seems rude to me, but I just ignore it. So much going on....I just try to stay focused. 

I really would like to hug my great niece. She’s special needs and doesn’t understand viruses. She takes chemo to treat her seizures. She doesn’t have cancer, but the drug helps reduce seizures. (Discovered in studies by accident). So, she has to be VERY careful.   We are very close, so I know she wonders what happened. I saw her today from a distance while masked and gave her stickers.  I want that closeness back. 

• Love 8

@Jeeves-so glad to hear you are doing ok!  

When we bought our house in 2006, at closing, the seller asked us if we would watch over the next door neighbor couple who were elderly.  They have a daughter (another daughter from his first marriage gave the Duggars a run for the money with her number of offspring, but they don't have much of a relationship), and she is now married with a young daughter.  We have grown to really care about them over the years, and we always tell them if they need anything, let us know.  Tonight, I am beyond grateful for them.  The son-in-law was over, and he smelled natural gas in the backyard.  She ended up calling BGE, and it turns out, it was coming from our yard!  The reading was negligible on their side of the fence, but it spiked to 100% next to our AC unit.  The first guy that came out checked out our walkout basement and got a 0 reading, so it's not IN the house.  Mr. Six has been working from home downstairs for the last 8 weeks, and he never smelled anything.  Thankfully, we don't have to leave, and we're safe.  There's a work crew out there already figuring out our next step.  I have never been more grateful to those neighbors (and their SIL) in the last 13+ years.  I'm impressed with BGE and their handling of the situation, especially in the midst of everything going on.  But, I have to admit, the what-ifs are just overwhelming me right now. 

• Love 21

I actually like facing timing with the doctors.  Going into the doctor is really hard for me plus it always means I'll be down and in pain for rest of the day and the next three days. Five days for the one in the next city. It makes it so much easier and I don't have to be down for days afterward recovering which is really the worse part of going to the doctor. Plus I always feel guilty since its just my dad and me in the house and I know he gets lonely he doesn't have anyone to talk to except maybe the neighbor. Everyone else is busy. I know he understands he feels guilty when he's down for a few days due to his illness and I'm alone. But I still feel guilty. Plus I have TV/Netflix/PrimeVideo, my DVD collection, my stories and surfing the net to keep me busy and people to talk to on sites like this and others. He doesn't have that. I've tried to get him into Netflex and Prime Video which has shows he loves and even the easy just say the show into the remote but he won't. I think he thinks its too complicated.  I wish I could get one of our relatives to call on those days to give him someone to talk to for an hour or stop by a for a visit (which I know now is not a good time for that). I just worry about him being lonely and I'm pretty much his support system which is fine on good days but bad days, and days after going to the doctor or anywhere else that always takes me out for a few days.  I know eventually I'll have to go in for blood work. But its really nice to get off the phone with the doctor and continue with my day.   

• Love 12

Ooooh. Entertainment!

I really enjoy Todd in the Shadows and his take on popular music. The One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords series are great. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/carlos10009

Lindsay Holliday's videos on royalty and history are great if you're a newbie or need a refresher on something. 15 minutes and you are caught up on Empress Maria Theresa's daughters. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/ljkoski

The Swindled podcast is excellent as well but if you are trying to avoid depressing topics and the like because of the state of the world, skip it. They delve into controversies like the Dalkon Shield. 

Biographics and Geographics are all right. They started sacrificing quality for quantity about 6 months ago and never really recovered.

Content creators really need to get paid more. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2020 at 2:42 PM, EVS said:

I’m rereading the Debbie Macomber Blossom Street series. Total comfort reading but just what I need right now. 

Had to go way back to find out who to thank for this suggestion.  Thanks @EVS !🙂

I just finished the 7th book of the series. Now I think I need something a little more unpredictable.  😁

I'm going to go back and see what other books you all recommended. 😊

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Zella said:

I live in Arkansas and did not know this. I've never tried a fried pickle, and though I love pickles, I think I'm going to pass. 😉

If they are fried correctly they are really good. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

A couple of years ago I did a deep (reading) dive into WWII history, with an emphasis on the European theatre and Eisenhower. Today, May 8, is the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. Thanks to the innerwebs I can see some of the observances over there. It had occurred to me late last year to book a trip to London for this time, to experience the observations on the ground in the crowds. (I did such a trip in mid-November 2018, including November 11, the Centenary of the Armistice that ended World War One.) But, it wasn't looking feasible for several reasons, so I didn't book it.

Anyway, among the doings today is a speech by the Queen, at the same hour as her father's radio address to the nation on May 8, 1945. In another discussion online I posted this info I found in case anyone wants to hear it. We can listen to BBC Radio online here in the US. The speech (prerecorded) will be broadcast on BBC One (TV) at 2100 in London. The speech will also be aired on BBC Radio 4 "shortly after the broadcast," whatever that means. Link to the speech: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jfc9

BBC Radio 4 home page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words about my brief illness this week. I'm feeling just about back to normal this morning - and very thankful for that!

Edited by Jeeves
more words and clarity I hope
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

A couple of years ago I did a deep (reading) dive into WWII history, with an emphasis on the European theatre and Eisenhower. Today, May 8, is the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. Thanks to the innerwebs I can see some of the observances over there. It had occurred to me late last year to book a trip to London for this time, to experience the observations on the ground in the crowds. (I did such a trip in mid-November 2018, including November 11, the Centenary of the Armistice that ended World War One.) But, it wasn't looking feasible for several reasons, so I didn't book it.

Anyway, among the doings today is a speech by the Queen, at the same hour as her father's radio address to the nation on May 8, 1945. In another discussion online I posted this info I found in case anyone wants to hear it. We can listen to BBC Radio online here in the US. The speech (prerecorded) will be broadcast on BBC One (TV) at 2100 in London. The speech will also be aired on BBC Radio 4 "shortly after the broadcast," whatever that means. Link to the speech: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jfc9

BBC Radio 4 home page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words about my brief illness this week. I'm feeling just about back to normal this morning - and very thankful for that!

Thanks for the reminder, I love history!

This reminds me of something that happened to me about 18 years ago:  I was vacationing in France on VE day, which is a national holiday there.  First, there is a highway that runs north-south through France that, although it has other names, is usually referred to as 'The American Road'.  Why?  Because, after D Day, there were no major north-south roads; so the American troops literally ran their tanks right through the fields to create one so that troops and equipment could mobilize to liberate France.  Eventually, it became a paved highway, but to many Frenchmen, it will always be the American Road.

Also on VE day during my visit:  my friend and I were visiting a Cathedral in the middle of France (maybe Chartres?) that was undergoing some renovation.  There were posters around the perimeter of the church with before pictures as well as drawings of the planned renovation.  There was explanation of the historical and structural significance of the church and the proposed changes which was, of course, in French, which I can read.  I was walking along translating for my friend when a very elderly lady tapped me on the shoulder and asked in French if I was an American.  When I told her I was, she smiled, clutched her hands over her heart and, with tears in her eyes, said, 'Thank you!  VE Day! Thank you!'.  I have tears in my eyes remembering it now.  America has been a force for good in this world and it sometimes seems like we've forgotten that.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Different sites said differently. I put mine in cold milk. Turned out edible.

Rice pudding is probably a lot like gumbo or spaghetti sauce.  Everyone has their own version and none of them are wrong.  Whatever you like.  Glad you could eat it.  Next try a recipe where you cook the rice in the milk and see if you like it better.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Rice pudding is probably a lot like gumbo or spaghetti sauce.  Everyone has their own version and none of them are wrong.  Whatever you like.  Glad you could eat it.  Next try a recipe where you cook the rice in the milk and see if you like it better.  

I did cook the rice in the milk.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Thanks for the reminder, I love history!

This reminds me of something that happened to me about 18 years ago:  I was vacationing in France on VE day, which is a national holiday there.  First, there is a highway that runs north-south through France that, although it has other names, is usually referred to as 'The American Road'.  Why?  Because, after D Day, there were no major north-south roads; so the American troops literally ran their tanks right through the fields to create one so that troops and equipment could mobilize to liberate France.  Eventually, it became a paved highway, but to many Frenchmen, it will always be the American Road.

Also on VE day during my visit:  my friend and I were visiting a Cathedral in the middle of France (maybe Chartres?) that was undergoing some renovation.  There were posters around the perimeter of the church with before pictures as well as drawings of the planned renovation.  There was explanation of the historical and structural significance of the church and the proposed changes which was, of course, in French, which I can read.  I was walking along translating for my friend when a very elderly lady tapped me on the shoulder and asked in French if I was an American.  When I told her I was, she smiled, clutched her hands over her heart and, with tears in her eyes, said, 'Thank you!  VE Day! Thank you!'.  I have tears in my eyes remembering it now.  America has been a force for good in this world and it's sometimes seems like we've forgotten that.

I went on a WWII-themed school trip to Europe several years ago. It was for the D-Day anniversary, and I was in Normandy for it. I know there's often a stereotype about French attitude, but I didn't experience that at all. Everyone was really lovely to me. Saw lots of French schoolchildren at the sites with their teacher, and they were more respectful than most of the college-aged Americans I was with. One little girl accidentally put her foot on one of the memorials, and granted my knowledge of French is minimal, but the teacher clearly told her that was like putting her foot on a tomb. 

On that same trip, some friends and I were wandering around Bastogne late at night, and an elderly Belgian man stopped us and asked us in broken English if we were American. We told him yes, and he started crying and thanking us profusely for saving them from the Nazis. I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about it now. It made me feel uncomfortable at the time because, though I have a great-grandfather who was killed in the war at the Hurtgen Forest, I obviously didn't save anyone from Nazis. But we all gave him a hug. 🙂  

Edited by Zella
  • Love 18
13 minutes ago, Zella said:

I went on a WWII-themed school trip to Europe several years ago. It was for the D-Day anniversary, and I was in Normandy for it. I know there's often a stereotype about French attitude, but I didn't experience that at all. Everyone was really lovely to me. Saw lots of French schoolchildren at the sites with their teacher, and they were more respectful than most of the college-aged Americans I was with. One little girl accidentally put her foot on one of the memorials, and granted my knowledge of French is minimal, but the teacher clearly told her that was like putting her foot on a tomb. 

On that same trip, some friends and I were wandering around Bastogne late at night, and an elderly Belgian man stopped us and asked us in broken English if we were American. We told him yes, and he started crying and thanking us profusely for saving them from the Nazis. I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about it now. It made me feel uncomfortable at the time because, though I have a great-grandfather who was killed in the war at the Hurtgen Forest, I obviously didn't save anyone from Nazis. But we all gave him a hug. 🙂  

I felt the same way, it wasn't like I was even alive during WWII, let alone had anything to do with it.  All through Europe, WWII seems much more real and recent than it does in the US.  I hope to get to Normandy some day.

Russia, which lost the greatest number of people, 26 million, 18 million of them civilians, is even more reverent about the war.  There are public memorials of all sorts everywhere you go.  I don't recall meeting a single Russian who hadn't lost a family member in the war.  Our tour guide, a woman in her 40's, told us about her grandmother who lived in a small village near the front during the war.  Her husband was in the Russian Army, she had a small baby.  One day, a Nazi platoon got lost and ended up in their town.  Everyone was rousted out into the town square, several hundred people.  The Nazis selected 3 people, including her grandmother, who was permitted to take the baby, and told them to get out of town, start walking.  Everyone else was herded back into their homes and told to lock the doors.  Gasoline was spread throughout the village and the place set on fire.  Anyone who tried to leave was shot on sight, everyone but the 3 adults and baby died that day.  She said her grandmother almost never talked about it because it was so devastating.  She did lament the fact that, less than a year later, the baby got sick and died, probably due to lack of food and medical care.  She thought it was so terrible that God had spared them that day only to take the baby later.

3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I felt the same way, it wasn't like I was even alive during WWII, let alone had anything to do with it.  All through Europe, WWII seems much more real and recent than it does in the US.  I hope to get to Normandy some day.

Russia, which lost the greatest number of people, 26 million, 18 million of them civilians, is even more reverent about the war.  There are public memorials of all sorts everywhere you go.  I don't recall meeting a single Russian who hadn't lost a family member in the war.  Our tour guide, a woman in her 40's, told us about her grandmother who lived in a small village near the front during the war.  Her husband was in the Russian Army, she had a small baby.  One day, a Nazi platoon got lost and ended up in their town.  Everyone was rousted out into the town square, several hundred people.  The Nazis selected 3 people, including her grandmother, who was permitted to take the baby, and told them to get out of town, start walking.  Everyone else was herded back into their homes and told to lock the doors.  Gasoline was spread throughout the village and the place set on fire.  Anyone who tried to leave was shot on sight, everyone but the 3 adults and baby died that day.  She said her grandmother almost never talked about it because it was so devastating.  She did lament the fact that, less than a year later, the baby got sick and died, probably due to lack of food and medical care.  She thought it was so terrible that God had spared them that day only to take the baby later.

I really loved Normandy and would love to go back! It was very picturesque, and I loved how comparatively rural it was. I'd love to return to France in general. Other than Normandy, I only got to spend a very rushed day in Paris. 😞

Granted, I like awful weather, but it was early June when I was there, and I could see why scheduling the landings was so touch-and-go. On the day I went to the D-Day beaches, it was probably 30-some degrees, it was raining tremendously, and the winds were howling. All my pictures from that day, you can't see my face because I couldn't find a scrunchie, and my hair looked like Medusa.  

That's such a sad story. 😞 Where did you get to travel in Russia? I always wanted to go to Russia--have been a Russophile since I was a child. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

I really loved Normandy and would love to go back! It was very picturesque, and I loved how comparatively rural it was. I'd love to return to France in general. Other than Normandy, I only got to spend a very rushed day in Paris. 😞

Granted, I like awful weather, but it was early June when I was there, and I could see why scheduling the landings was so touch-and-go. On the day I went to the D-Day beaches, it was probably 30-some degrees, it was raining tremendously, and the winds were howling. All my pictures from that day, you can't see my face because I couldn't find a scrunchie, and my hair looked like Medusa.  

That's such a sad story. 😞 Where did you get to travel in Russia? I always wanted to go to Russia--have been a Russophile since I was a child. 

We did a river cruise, St. Petersburg to Moscow with stops in between.  It was terrific, very interesting.  My sister and I have been fans of Russian history for a long time, too.  She was always fascinated by Rasputin, of all people.  We got to go to Yusupov Palace in St. Petersburg where Rasputin was poisoned and shot.  There are these nasty Russian ladies who watch over the place and yell at you if you look like you are even thinking about touching anything.  Anyway, we ended up going down into the room where Rasputin ate the poisoned cake. They have wax figures of Rasputin, Count Yusupov and the others with the original furniture still there.  Rasputin's dummy is seated at the table with a tray of fake pastry in front of him, there are velvet ropes to keep the tourists back.  Since my sister was such a big fan, I told her to stand behind Rasputin and I'd get a photo.  She got in position and then leaned in to get closer to his figure for the photo and all hell broke loose.  Alarms started screeching, the crazy museum ladies started yelling at us.  She had not touched a thing, BTW, just tripped a motion sensor.  It was quite the experience.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

We did a river cruise, St. Petersburg to Moscow with stops in between.  It was terrific, very interesting.  My sister and I have been fans of Russian history for a long time, too.  She was always fascinated by Rasputin, of all people.  We got to go to Yusupov Palace in St. Petersburg where Rasputin was poisoned and shot.  There are these nasty Russian ladies who watch over the place and yell at you if you look like you are even thinking about touching anything.  Anyway, we ended up going down into the room where Rasputin ate the poisoned cake. They have wax figures of Rasputin, Count Yusupov and the others with the original furniture still there.  Rasputin's dummy is seated at the table with a tray of fake pastry in front of him, there are velvet ropes to keep the tourists back.  Since my sister was such a big fan, I told her to stand behind Rasputin and I'd get a photo.  She got in position and then leaned in to get closer to his figure for the photo and all hell broke loose.  Alarms started screeching, the crazy museum ladies started yelling at us.  She had not touched a thing, BTW, just tripped a motion sensor.  It was quite the experience.

Bahahahaha that's awesome! I'd love to see the Yusopov Palace. Rasputin's murder is one of my favorite historical stories, simply because if it were fiction, nobody would believe it because it's so over-the-top!

Moscow and St. Petersburg are on my bucket list, but I also always wanted to read the Trans Siberian Railroad from Moscow to the Pacific, just to say I've done it. 😄 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4

My best friend’s HS boyfriend (who I also went to HS with), his grandmother was 14 when the SS took up residence on her farm in rural Poland (she was the oldest of five children).

Over decade ago some university students asked if they could come visit her and take a oral history- she said of course and invited them to her home. They arrived and she had made drinks and snacks, and told them “I am so sorry you have come all this way but I cannot talk about that. I thought I could but I cannot. Please enjoy the food and drinks I have prepared for you and thank you for trying to do this.”

damn. 

@doodlebug & @Zella Russia sounds fascinating and has such a rich history, but from what I’ve heard from people who’ve visited recently it’s not the best place for black women to be traveling alone, so I won’t be going for a good long while. 

I follow a black woman who’s living in the Balkans right now for work, and although brown people are a rare sight in the Balkans it’s mostly a curiosity rather than a hostility. (She’s in Montenegro- has anyone here been there?)

When I decide to travel alone I do like to go to places where I can blend just a tiny bit for safety purposes. Not that I assume people have hostile or violent intentions towards me all the time but “you stand out” makes you a target for pick pockets and muggers at the very best. 

And of course I know that violence happens everywhere (even in my own backyard), and I’m not afraid to see the world but I don’t want to be ignorant of the fact that in a lot of places I stand out like a sore thumb. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

Thank you to whoever recommended the Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series! Those are such fun, cute reads. 

That was me--glad you like them! Give her Witchcraft Mysteries series a shot, too, if you like those.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think the baby head wraps are cute, but that may be a cultural difference because I am used to seeing women use hair wraps for style purposes, so seeing it on a baby reminiscent of that. 

The Gerber baby is particularly adorable, which helps.

Russia is not known for its modern stance on social issues and, you’re right, there are virtually no people of color anywhere to be found.  I did a group tour which might be easier for you and others who don’t look like the typical Russian.

Homosexuality is considered a perversion in Russia and it is a bit surprising to hear modern Russians, people who speak English and have travelled outside the country, say really awful, untrue things about gay people.  Most gay Russians are in the closet and I do not blame them; they have no legal protections and the negative, even hostile, attitude permeates society including government leaders.

I'm a huge history fan too. So many different periods. But WW2 is a favorite its just so big, so horrible and so much seriously messed up stuff happened. My grandpa served under Patton he wasn't at D-Day but had gone to Sicily and worked his way up through Italy. He also was a huge fan of Patton before Patton took over the unit he was in they had no food or showers and he got both for the men. My other grandpa went to Oregon to build ships, my mom's grandparents both worked for some government jobs (even her grandmother!) with his brother who had part in the Manhattan project. They also managed to run a farm in the mean time because my great-grandmother didn't like the ration and apparently it was different if you had a farm. They bought a farm had all the milk, cheese and other stuff they want and when the war was over sold it and moved back to the city. There's so much to read about. What happened in each country, the military books, and resistance groups. Brave men and women in each country fighting against the Nazis. Anne Frank of course, another one who's name I can't remember but a Polish teenager who ended up in a camp she actually took her older sister's place because her older sister had some sort of mental problem or something, and ended up in five different camps. It was a good book I wish I could remember the name of it. It talked about what it was like in Poland and who was getting sent to camps first. How at first married couples weren't going so tons of people were getting married but of course that didn't last. The many villages were people were rounded up and shot. Just like that. Its still hard to imagine how it could be just like that. Or in the hospitals when they were just killing people. Just like that. People with mental or other problems. Their still people. The many people who tried to help hide Jews and others being rounded up. Men, women, and kids. Everyone working together on the home front in factories to build equipment and ships. Not just in Europe, the crazy crap going on in Asia, with Japan invading China, and so many other places. The awesomeness of D-Day, and how hard fought that was. To be a guy in one of those boats, being fired on, surrounded by men dying and really your only option is trying to get to the shore which was so not an easy attack.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The Gerber baby is particularly adorable, which helps.

Russia is not known for its modern stance on social issues and, you’re right, there are virtually no people of color anywhere to be found.  I did a group tour which might be easier for you and others who don’t look like the typical Russian.

Homosexuality is considered a perversion in Russia and it is a bit surprising to hear modern Russians, people who speak English and have travelled outside the country, say really awful, untrue things about gay people.  Most gay Russians are in the closet and I do not blame them; they have no legal protections and the negative, even hostile, attitude permeates society including government leaders.

I would definitely go via a tour group if I did decide to go to Russia. 

4 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm a huge history fan too. So many different periods. But WW2 is a favorite its just so big, so horrible and so much seriously messed up stuff happened. My grandpa served under Patton he wasn't at D-Day but had gone to Sicily and worked his way up through Italy. He also was a huge fan of Patton before Patton took over the unit he was in they had no food or showers and he got both for the men. My other grandpa went to Oregon to build ships, my mom's grandparents both worked for some government jobs (even her grandmother!) with his brother who had part in the Manhattan project. They also managed to run a farm in the mean time because my great-grandmother didn't like the ration and apparently it was different if you had a farm. They bought a farm had all the milk, cheese and other stuff they want and when the war was over sold it and moved back to the city. There's so much to read about. What happened in each country, the military books, and resistance groups. Brave men and women in each country fighting against the Nazis. Anne Frank of course, another one who's name I can't remember but a Polish teenager who ended up in a camp she actually took her older sister's place because her older sister had some sort of mental problem or something, and ended up in five different camps. It was a good book I wish I could remember the name of it. It talked about what it was like in Poland and who was getting sent to camps first. How at first married couples weren't going so tons of people were getting married but of course that didn't last. The many villages were people were rounded up and shot. Just like that. Its still hard to imagine how it could be just like that. Or in the hospitals when they were just killing people. Just like that. People with mental or other problems. Their still people. The many people who tried to help hide Jews and others being rounded up. Men, women, and kids. Everyone working together on the home front in factories to build equipment and ships. Not just in Europe, the crazy crap going on in Asia, with Japan invading China, and so many other places. The awesomeness of D-Day, and how hard fought that was. To be a guy in one of those boats, being fired on, surrounded by men dying and really your only option is trying to get to the shore which was so not an easy attack.

Those who don’t remember the past are doomed to repeat it. 

We have to put forth resources to record these oral histories before the last witnesses are gone. 

• Love 5

Have you ever embarrassed yourself, but, still thought it was hysterically funny?  Today, I went to another grocery store in attempts to get some hard to find items. It was the first time that I ordered what they call Express-line, pickup to go orders. I arrived after getting word it was ready and pulled into a spot marked express-line, pickup to go. There were about 6 designated spots that way. I called inside and was put on hold...waited, called back and gave my name, waited...then I saw a lady come out with a  cart full of groceries, and young guy beside her....she was looking around searching for something..I thought for me. I got out and waved to her...she didn’t acknowledge...I honked my horn “I’m over here!”.....nothing..I got out and Waved my arms wildly...they came towards me so I sat in my car...then they went to their car!!! Lol They were customers and it wasn’t my order after all. Ha..so,

I called again and said I’m outside...I looked and saw that another car had pulled to a section that said Fuel savings, $1.00 Off, No Parking, and saw that was the pickup area. Is that crazy or what? I just pulled over, got my order in my trunk and left. Someone needs to tell them to reverse those signs. Lol

• LOL 10
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

My other grandpa went to Oregon to build ships, my mom's grandparents both worked for some government jobs (even her grandmother!) with his brother who had part in the Manhattan project

I read the most fascinating YA book about the Manhattan project called The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages. I couldn't put it down. I had never even heard of it before that. I mean, I had heard of the atomic bomb, just not of stories of the men and women's work that went into making it. (And the aftermath on their lives afterward)

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would definitely go via a tour group if I did decide to go to Russia

I'd love to go to Russia, but I'd be too afraid to go, even on a tour, tbh.

China either. Too totalitarian. 

• Love 5
On 5/7/2020 at 11:18 AM, Rabbittron said:

I am helping Boytron with his school work and it is the food of the 50 states.  The Duggars live in the right place because the state food is  fried pickles. 

Now you made me curious...where was this list with the fried pickle as the state food? (now I have to try it)

This was all I found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_foods

I went looking to see what Illinois' was..state snack: popcorn, state grain: corn Illinois sure is corny 🙄 😂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 5/7/2020 at 9:34 AM, Zella said:

They’re good! Deep fried in batter! I got them in a bar once 😋

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Okay, so I need some opinions. I recently ordered some seeds from a seller on Etsy.com. They arrived... with an additional slip of paper describing how Jesus was the answer to my salvation and a Bible verse. 

I am an atheist. I could also be a Buddhist, Moslem, Jewish or Taoist, for all they know. I found it...offensive and presumptuous. I ordered tomato seeds, not a tract.

Am I off base here? If not, do I leave feedback and/or contact Etsy to complain?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, so I need some opinions. I recently ordered some seeds from a seller on Etsy.com. They arrived... with an additional slip of paper describing how Jesus was the answer to my salvation and a Bible verse. 

I am an atheist. I could also be a Buddhist, Moslem, Jewish or Taoist, for all they know. I found it...offensive and presumptuous. I ordered tomato seeds, not a tract.

Am I off base here? If not, do I leave feedback and/or contact Etsy to complain?

That’s gross and obnoxious and I’d let them know they got their first and last sale 

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oooh..I wouldn't like that at all. I'd complain.

• Love 15
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I'm a Christian, and that would irritate the hell out of me too. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 18