Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I think the whole school at home experience was a bust. I'm pro-homeschooling because when it's done right it's a good alternative choice to have. But, this wasn't homeschooling, it was parents trying to follow the school's lesson plans in the midst of a national crisis. 

I think everyone should be passed to the next grade and the teacher's spend the fall doing catch-up with language arts and math. I also think schools need to spend the summer putting developing a contingency educational plan in case this happens again next year.

• Love 16

I'm proud of you awaken - it takes a lot of guts and courage to leave.  

My hat's off to those of you that are homeschooling your children right now.  I don't have any idea nor could I wrap my brain around that Common Core stuff that the schools have nowadays.  I know a grade school substitute teacher who is my age (50-55) and she can't figure it out when she's had to step in for a day or more.  Hell I can still make change faster in my brain than the silly machines can, despite my lack of higher math, Algebra is about as far as I got. So any of you dealing with this right now - more power to you!

Maybe if both parents and children are on homeschool overload and you want to take a break but yet be educational check out some of the Nova programs.  I don't know how many of The American Experience are online to watch, but there's got to be some that are kinda family friendly and interesting enough that the kids won't be bored.  That Nova series on the planets is soooooooo good.  

• Love 9

I don't want the school year to end early because I still get paid while we're doing remote learning.  Once summer starts, there goes half my income.  

That being said, remote learning has been...an experience.  My school actually made some rules for it, because kids were filming from their beds, rolling around on the floor, and otherwise acting the fool.  So our kids are supposed to sit in their kitchen or living room, preferably at a table, with pencil and paper at hand.  Of course they act all helpless about the learning sites--after telling us how they stayed up all night playing Roblox or Fortnite.  Fifth grade has an hour and a half lesson block every afternoon, and if we get through ten math problems in that time, it's a very successful class.  Our school gave out chromebooks, but we still have kids who don't come to class, and we even have kids who straight up tell us they don't "feel like" doing the work, and they log out before the lesson is over.  It's nuts.  One father screams at his kid through the  whole lesson--today it was because she ate two toast sandwiches for lunch.

The plan seems to be that everyone will pass to the next grade, and next year will end up being kind of a remedial year, which the kids at my school need anyway, because they are very low skills.  We're in a very urban neighborhood, high poverty, and over 60% non-native English speakers.  I would guess a lot of our kids have been told not to log on by their parents because the parents don't want it to get out that the kids are home alone.    

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

NYC schools are closed until September. Camps will probably be closed too.

I read on Facebook that parents sold the schools laptops/iPads and their kids can’t do the work.

That doesn't surprise me. Some families are probably desperate now. 

• Love 2

My inhaler really gets a work-out in spring. I'm fine from July to September, then when the leaves begin to fall something here triggers my allergies. Once it freezes, I'm good until about the middle of March. From then to the end of June, I usually end up having to do nebulizer treatments 3-4 times a week on top of the inhaler and prescription allergy meds. Which I can't take until bedtime b/c they put me to sleep. 

• Love 5
(edited)

If I have to watch that turd commercial one more time, I'm gonna choke a bitch.  Bleccccchhhh!

Edited by magpye29
too much white space
  • LOL 2
13 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Anyone care to slap some sense into me?

I think most of us are either in that stage with you or getting close. 

I have to rewatch a movie and write a 5 page political psychology paper on it and turn it in by the 12th. I've already gone from regular grades to pass/fail and if I don't do this paper, I will probably fail. I'm just about ready to say fuck-it and fail. 

• Love 5

Yeah, my sister-in-law who's a teacher already decided a couple weeks back to just pass her students. The home schooling and doing the work just really isn't working. Its not really going to make a difference since their kindergarteners. There's just not really doing the work and their parents' don't seem to be helping or caring. The video part really doesn't seem to be working. My nephew's teacher is already planning to do the same thing. Its hard to get him to do his work and stay focused on it. Because he's been busy playing. Because there's always tomorrow. While he has his mother to help most kids in his class don't really seem to have that help (not that I blame the parents' they may be busy with work, have more then one kid, sick, have relative sick and other priorities right now). Its just not really a big deal now. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Now? Yet another vodka and soda? Fuck it. Half a Snickers? Fuck it. Eating everything on my plate and going for seconds? Fuck it. Baking white flour rolls and using every bite as an additional butter delivery vehicle? Fuck it.

I forced myself onto the scale this morning and found I have gained four pounds. My reaction?

FUCK IT.

I think we're all reacting our own way.  I lost 3 or 4 pounds the first couple of weeks.  I had a lot of trouble eating and had almost no appetite.  I've stabilized now and quit losing.  I'm having trouble concentrating.  I can't even watch one TV show without losing interest or concentration.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Anybody else have a sudden case of the “fuckits”?

I normally eat super healthy, don’t eat added sugar, exercise quite a bit and weigh less at age 62 than I did in undergrad. For the first six weeks of this mess I stayed reasonably on track.

Now? Yet another vodka and soda? Fuck it. Half a Snickers? Fuck it. Eating everything on my plate and going for seconds? Fuck it. Baking white flour rolls and using every bite as an additional butter delivery vehicle? Fuck it.

I forced myself onto the scale this morning and found I have gained four pounds. My reaction?

FUCK IT.

😬

Wherever you find comfort in the fucking mess is VALID. So fuckit. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

For those who have asthma and allergies. Do you need your inhaler more when you have bad allergies? 

I practically drained one inhaler in 3 days. 😞😞😞 

My allergies and asthma are kicking my ass right now. I’m sucking on my albuterol like it’s a popsicle and went back on prednisone yesterday. Which was kinda scary: my doc of 27 years retired in December so I was breaking in a new doc via televisit. Fortunately she did try to reinvent the wheel so I have the meds I know work for me. Maybe someday I’ll meet the lower half of her face. 😁

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I’m really happy for you!!! I had to do the same thing two years ago. When I got my new job, I was so excited to start working with a boss who was enthusiastic and really liked me. I am proof that you can find something so much better! I’m glad you chose to leave a situation where you weren’t being treated well. I can’t wait until you find the right job!

Thank you all!  I remember you talking about this at the time, @Christina87 and your search for a new job!  I’m taking the time off to research my target market and make a business plan, as well as heal from what I’ve been going through. 

8 hours ago, Nysha said:

I think the whole school at home experience was a bust. I'm pro-homeschooling because when it's done right it's a good alternative choice to have. But, this wasn't homeschooling, it was parents trying to follow the school's lesson plans in the midst of a national crisis. 

I think everyone should be passed to the next grade and the teacher's spend the fall doing catch-up with language arts and math. I also think schools need to spend the summer putting developing a contingency educational plan in case this happens again next year.

Thank goodness our school system has gone to complete/incomplete for this quarter. There is just no way we can keep up with 8 classes each for 4 kids plus work and maintain the household. 

• Love 9

Wow! I didn't come here for a couple of days and just posted about a dozen 😞 reactions! I'm sorry so many are struggling and sad to think of women/children stuck home with their abusers. As for school, at least in our state, I think it's good that we've continued with e-learning. Teachers get paid and schools get their funding if most students are "present" and that will be very needed, because no doubt there will be remedial learning when school starts up. I don't think it will start (or continue) this fall because of the expected next wave. 

Speaking of chromebooks (mentioned upthread), I got one for my birthday - early gift because my b'day isn't for several days. I'm trying to get used to the shortcuts, slightly different keyboard. These things take time, especially at my age. Hint: I now qualify for Medicare! Anyway, it's nice to have a working mouse pad. Mine had quit on my pc and the workarounds were interesting. 

I lost 40 lbs last year on Weight Watcher's and I've gained back 20! I've stayed active, getting 10K steps a day and doing my yoga/stretch routine daily, but I admit that I miss the gym and my weight training. I'm not gaining anymore, but I must get serious about losing again, though I don't care to spend the money on WW, when I'm not following it! I know I'm eating too many carbs and sweets since the pandemic, so I'm going to try a man's way of losing and just cut back. That works easily for most men. Let's see if it works for me. My husband is a horrible influence when it comes to sweets! I must also use my free weights. 

Spring has sprung here and that is heartening, though I think we are in for a dull summer. Peace to all small talkers ❤️

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I normally eat super healthy, don’t eat added sugar, exercise quite a bit and weigh less at age 62 than I did in undergrad. For the first six weeks of this mess I stayed reasonably on track.

FUCK IT.

😬

I do 😞. I can’t stop eating Madeleine cookies, ice cream, chips anything crunchy really hits the spot. Ben & Jerry’s was $2.88 on sale. I bought 4 pints. I don’t remember craving/eating this much junk ever. If I didn’t have asthma I might start smoking haha. 

@Oldernowiser you are definitely not alone.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
14 hours ago, Nysha said:

I have to rewatch a movie and write a 5 page political psychology paper on it and turn it in by the 12th. I've already gone from regular grades to pass/fail and if I don't do this paper, I will probably fail. I'm just about ready to say fuck-it and fail. 

Now that sounds like an exhausting topic these days...like we’re all not already dealing with political psychology 24/7 and mostly in complete horror...

But you know you are a really good writer! Your posts here prove that. So maybe just read the movie reviews and then just use that plot to compare to the current horror show? Might be therapeutic!

Big hug...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 9

I've got a huge case of the fuck-its, too. Just ate some snack cakes and a pint of ice cream. And i don't care.

On the other hand, my job has just been declared essential, so I start back Monday. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, beckie said:

I've got a huge case of the fuck-its, too. Just ate some snack cakes and a pint of ice cream. And i don't care.

On the other hand, my job has just been declared essential, so I start back Monday. 

What are snack cakes?

32 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m watching chopped s15 e7. Guy owns a restaurant. Picks up cooked bacon off the floor and put it on all the plates 🤮🤮🤮.

I can only imagine what he does in his restaurant. 

His restaurant is still open!!!

https://m.yelp.com/biz/fred-62-los-angeles

He would have been a great chef candidate for Joe Exotic's pizzeria that served expired meat to diners. 😖

• LOL 8

I just tried Ben & Jerry’s canoli ice cream. It’s divinely delicious. I think it’s my favorite brand.

19 minutes ago, beckie said:

Little Debbie snack cakes. Small cakes.

Ahhh I’m very familiar with little Debbie lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

FUCK IT.

😬

I’ve noticed all the people that drink alcohol are drinking more and the people that don’t drink alcohol are eating more sweets. I am keeping track of my eating because I refuse to not be able to fit into my jeans when this is over and I’ve lost 5lbs. But no you aren’t the only one. 

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Zella said:

He would have been a great chef candidate for Joe Exotic's pizzeria that served expired meat to diners. 😖

Have you ever seen kitchen nightmares? After that show I’m really wary of eating in restaurants. 

Does not surprise me about Joe Exotic. I think I might watch an episode tonight.

• Love 4

I've been slowly losing weight. I have no appetite whatsoever. I'm so behind on all my work and I need to get it done within the next month. But I know as soon as I tidy up these projects I will be given something in my field, but what the impact COVID-19 had on it.

I don't wanna...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve noticed all the people that drink alcohol are drinking more and the people that don’t drink alcohol are eating more sweets. I am keeping track of my eating because I refuse to not be able to fit into my jeans when this is over and I’ve lost 5lbs. But no you aren’t the only one. 

I know I've been drinking more, which is not good, as I definitely drank more thank I strictly needed to already. It's not so much the quarantine itself as the fact that my mom has finally moved in here since she stopped having her help come in, and has been in too much pain/weakness, off and on, to manage by herself, so she has been here since a few days before Easter. She seems to be feeling a bit better a lot of the time, and has considered going back home for a day or two here and there, as she really misses her house, but the bad days are so unpredictable that she doesn't know whether she will be able to get up by herself on any given morning.

I know I'm a really terrible person for my tendency to go right on the defensive whenever she gives advice (and she's the queen of unsolicited advice), or finding something around the house that hasn't been done, and trying to fix it. I know that she's really bored because she can't do all the things she used to - and she was always one of those people who couldn't sit still if there was anything that needed doing (and she would always find something that needed doing)...and since I'm much more the sort of person who lives inside my own head, and doesn't get around to things until they pile up a bit. I've felt, all my life, that I was just not a good enough person in her eyes. So I end up adding gin to my water with lime juice just to feel a bit mellower around her. Especially since Mr Jyn and I like to have wine with dinner more often than not, but she gets all worried about us if she sees us having wine more than a couple of times a week. It's horrible to start resorting to sneaking drinks, but she has such an eagle eye when it comes to noticing anyone's bad habits....

I've gained a few pounds over the past few weeks, but I have started being a lot more diligent about getting all my 10,000 (more often 15 or 16,000) steps in, and try to get out and tackle some of the much-needed gardening (it's been so rainy and windy over the past couple of weeks that we are getting way behind), so I think I've stopped gaining, even if I haven't really lost any more yet. At least if I am outside getting some things done, I hear a bit less criticism from her.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Now that sounds like an exhausting topic these days...like we’re all not already dealing with political psychology 24/7 and mostly in complete horror...

But you know you are a really good writer! Your posts here prove that. So maybe just read the movie reviews and then just use that plot to compare to the current horror show? Might be therapeutic!

Big hug...

Thank you. I actually got to chose my own movie, so I'm going to watch "The Girl with All the Gifts" again. It's a zombie movie with strong political themes that do mirror what's going on right now. The class was structured around 12 different theories and I have to apply 4 of them to the paper. Which means I don't even have to do any extra research, since the data was already part of our required reading. 

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I know I've been drinking more, which is not good, as I definitely drank more thank I strictly needed to already. It's not so much the quarantine itself as the fact that my mom has finally moved in here since she stopped having her help come in, and has been in too much pain/weakness, off and on, to manage by herself, so she has been here since a few days before Easter.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Both my son and I are also the type to live in our own heads and it's really hard to deal with people who move constantly, especially when it feels like they're judging you for not being like them. 

• Love 15

@Jynnantonnix, you have my complete sympathy. If I had ever had to live with my father longer than a week I would have been injecting tequila straight into my skull. Nobody can push buttons like family!

Big hug...

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I just tried Ben & Jerry’s canoli ice cream. It’s divinely delicious. I think it’s my favorite brand.

Ahhh I’m very familiar with little Debbie lol.

I MUST find this cannoli flavor. I have been craving cannolis. 

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

I MUST find this cannoli flavor. I have been craving cannolis. 

I went back today to get more. No more in that flavor. I did get other flavors and Madeleine cookies were $3.49 on sale. Help me stop eating. 
I’m seriously going to hide my credit cards lol.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • LOL 5
(edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 10:21 PM, Oldernowiser said:

FUCK IT.

😬

I ate 6 donuts for breakfast today, I'm in no position to judge anyone. 

In other news, I'm in a carb coma.

Update, I made penne alla vodka sauce for dinner. It's been a ridiculous day.

Edited by emma675d
  • LOL 18

I have definitely been drinking more since March 15th.  I am about to finish a handle of Titos and already have the next one on deck.   Dinner tonight was leftover pizza and tater tots with a dirty martini.  I did do some yardwork this afternoon though.  

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Nysha said:

I hear you. I am doing my third online writing class at Stanford and I just changed my grade option from "credit/no credit" to "no grade required." Meaning if I keep being uninspired about writing, I can not post much and still not fail the course. I just decided I needed to let myself off the hook and write if I could or not, if I just don't have it in me.

20 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Wherever you find comfort in the fucking mess is VALID. So fuckit. 

Absolutely. If ever there were a time for us all to be kind to ourselves.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

On the other hand, I opted for being called "Mima" when my granddaughter was born, because I somehow wasn't even aware of the "Meemaw" pronunciation. My granddaughter calls me "Meema", but I have had a bunch of people, when they ask me what my choice of name was, say, "Oh, like in Big Bang Theory?" Or "Young Sheldon", or other hillbilly derivations. Mr. Jyn said he did not care what he was called, but since Grand-Jynlet pronounced (and still pronounces) "Grandpa" as "Papa", we kind of decided that since the other grandparents were "Grammy and Grandpa", Mr Jyn could continue on as "Papa". But now he keeps complaining that he doesn't like that name, but has no other one he prefers.

It's always interesting to me which names people use for grandparents (and parents).

My great-grandfather refused to be called any of the names for grandfather and made my dad, his brother, and their cousins all call him by his first name. My grandma's sister doesn't want to be a Granny, so her grandkids call her honey instead.

I noticed my grandparents often called their grandfather Pappy. And one great-grandfather they just called Pap, and the family still refers to him as Pap rather than his name. (He was a real asshole. This is such a hillbilly story, but he picked a fight in his 80s with his 17-year-old grandson--the one who later wanted his own grandkids to call him by his first name--while they were both drinking moonshine together, and when said grandson retaliated by breaking the old man's arm with a rock (?!), everyone was just sort of like, "Eh, Pap's an asshole! Probably deserved it." 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

The Blue Angels & Thunderbirds did a joint fly over for Baltimore, DC, and Atlanta today.  They put out their flight path yesterday, and we realized they wouldn't be going over our neighborhood.  We ended up driving about 15 minutes and sat in the parking lot of Trader Joe's, which was insanely busy.  They have a parking garage, which most people were using, so we picked the back parking aisle with very few cars.  It was over so quick, but it was amazing & a little emotional to watch.  They did it as a way to support healthcare workers.  This is one of the pics I got-the Angels are on the left, Thunderbirds on the right.  

95439663_10157181204048017_7945260009460334592_n.jpg

• Love 15
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

I ate 6 donuts for breakfast today, I'm in no position to judge anyone. 

In other news, I'm in a carb coma.

Update, I made penne alla vodka sauce for dinner. It's been a ridiculous day.

Oooooo, donuts!  I’m contenting myself with Fritos and wine, but donuts would be amazing!  (My phone wanted to say Fonuts!)

46 minutes ago, sixlets said:

The Blue Angels & Thunderbirds did a joint fly over for Baltimore, DC, and Atlanta today.  They put out their flight path yesterday, and we realized they wouldn't be going over our neighborhood.  We ended up driving about 15 minutes and sat in the parking lot of Trader Joe's, which was insanely busy.  They have a parking garage, which most people were using, so we picked the back parking aisle with very few cars.  It was over so quick, but it was amazing & a little emotional to watch.  They did it as a way to support healthcare workers.  This is one of the pics I got-the Angels are on the left, Thunderbirds on the right.  

95439663_10157181204048017_7945260009460334592_n.jpg

We went out and saw the flyover today too!  It was exciting!  Something to do, anyway!  

• Love 3