Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I just ordered flowers for Mother's Day for my mom. Lied that I accidentally sent a parcel to the wrong address and to watch the porch. I never changed my billing address so it is plausible.

I would call the cemetery to put flowers at my grandparents' grave but they are so effing expensive to use their florist. I will see if I can get my sister to drive over when she needs a break from my parents.

I'm starting to feel human for the first time in three weeks. It has been really hard to sit down and put words to paper. My migraines are getting pretty bad but I'm wary of going to see the doctor. They took out all the chairs and you have to wander around outside until you get a phone call to come in. Yeah... No...

I will never take those uncomfortable plastic chairs for granted again. I feel sorry for pregnant people who are stuck in that situation!

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I just ordered flowers for Mother's Day for my mom. Lied that I accidentally sent a parcel to the wrong address and to watch the porch. I never changed my billing address so it is plausible.

I would call the cemetery to put flowers at my grandparents' grave but they are so effing expensive to use their florist. I will see if I can get my sister to drive over when she needs a break from my parents.

I'm starting to feel human for the first time in three weeks. It has been really hard to sit down and put words to paper. My migraines are getting pretty bad but I'm wary of going to see the doctor. They took out all the chairs and you have to wander around outside until you get a phone call to come in. Yeah... No...

I will never take those uncomfortable plastic chairs for granted again. I feel sorry for pregnant people who are stuck in that situation!

My mom's 88th birthday would've been yesterday.  The weather was gorgeous, sunny and mid 70's.  I put the dogs in the car, stopped at Walmart to buy some flowers and drove out to the cemetery where my parents and other family members are buried.  It felt good to be out driving around.  Stopped at a nearly-empty park to walk the pups then we went to Dairy Queen where the young lady working the register took a couple of sundae lids, put a dab of soft serve vanilla in them and topped each with a dog biscuit.  The pooches were delighted, as was I.  Nice to be out doing normal stuff.

I am still working daily.  Ohio is now allowing routine doctor's visits, so we are seeing people for annual exams and such as of today.  Prior to this, it was all pregnant ladies, problem visits and birth control like IUD's and implants.  Our waiting room is being re-vamped to make it impossible not to social distance.  An employee in the lobby is taking temperatures, issuing masks (my employer requires them for EVERYONE.  If you don't wear a mask, you don't see the practitioner.  No exceptions, not even allowed past the screener to the elevator).   No able bodied adult patients are allowed to have anyone with them for their visits.  Elderly ladies who have someone to help them get from point A to point B, minors and people who don't have any other options for childcare are the only exceptions.  

I'm wearing a mask all day, every day, except when I am alone in my office.  It sucks, but gets more tolerable over time, I've found.  One of the nurses in my office has gone crazy with the mask making and I donated a bunch of my quilting fabric to the cause, which, if you quilt, you know it was a bunch.  Today, she handed out Star Wars masks to half the workers ('May the 4th be with you').  I've got one with doggies, one with Cleveland Indians print and several in pretty fabric including one with some fabric I bought in a market in Cusco, Peru that I love.

We're opening up for surgery next week at the surgery center where I do mine and I've got a bunch of cases we hope to get done.  One is for a patient who is developmentally disabled who has been calling the office or sending me messages multiple times a day asking when her surgery was going to be done.  At one point, I suggested she contact the governor since it was his order we were following.  She asked for his number, which, fortunately for him, I didn't have.

• LOL 6
  • Love 13

Happy Star Wars day friends. May the Fourth be with you. 

Im wearing my “The Child” aka Baby Yoda spirit jersey, and also today my main man Mr Norris turns TWENTY! Yes 20. This cat is ancient. 

B13CF6AD-651B-453C-B6E5-DC787581E475.jpeg

• Love 24
(edited)

Happy Birthday Mr. Norris! 

I have not been feeling great. I finally decided it was warm enough to open a window and now I'm enjoying the fresh air. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

My mom's 88th birthday would've been yesterday.  The weather was gorgeous, sunny and mid 70's.  I put the dogs in the car, stopped at Walmart to buy some flowers and drove out to the cemetery where my parents and other family members are buried.  It felt good to be out driving around.  Stopped at a nearly-empty park to walk the pups then we went to Dairy Queen where the young lady working the register took a couple of sundae lids, put a dab of soft serve vanilla in them and topped each with a dog biscuit.  The pooches were delighted, as was I.  Nice to be out doing normal stuff.

I am still working daily.  Ohio is now allowing routine doctor's visits, so we are seeing people for annual exams and such as of today.  Prior to this, it was all pregnant ladies, problem visits and birth control like IUD's and implants.  Our waiting room is being re-vamped to make it impossible not to social distance.  An employee in the lobby is taking temperatures, issuing masks (my employer requires them for EVERYONE.  If you don't wear a mask, you don't see the practitioner.  No exceptions, not even allowed past the screener to the elevator).   No able bodied adult patients are allowed to have anyone with them for their visits.  Elderly ladies who have someone to help them get from point A to point B, minors and people who don't have any other options for childcare are the only exceptions.  

I'm wearing a mask all day, every day, except when I am alone in my office.  It sucks, but gets more tolerable over time, I've found.  One of the nurses in my office has gone crazy with the mask making and I donated a bunch of my quilting fabric to the cause, which, if you quilt, you know it was a bunch.  Today, she handed out Star Wars masks to half the workers ('May the 4th be with you').  I've got one with doggies, one with Cleveland Indians print and several in pretty fabric including one with some fabric I bought in a market in Cusco, Peru that I love.

We're opening up for surgery next week at the surgery center where I do mine and I've got a bunch of cases we hope to get done.  One is for a patient who is developmentally disabled who has been calling the office or sending me messages multiple times a day asking when her surgery was going to be done.  At one point, I suggested she contact the governor since it was his order we were following.  She asked for his number, which, fortunately for him, I didn't have.

If your family is buried in the same Catholic cemetery as mine, I know you had a drive to get there.  A nice drive in the sunshine going by Lake FarmPark and the site of the Murder Barn.  

I can't get into the whole Star Wars thing today.  I'm a graduate of Kent State, and lived there for a few years after getting my degree.  I worked with a local who's mother was one of the police dispatchers back in 1970.  The ex-hippies who moved there in the 70s and the yearly commemorations really make May 4th a very specific day not related to Star Wars.  

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If your family is buried in the same Catholic cemetery as mine, I know you had a drive to get there.  A nice drive in the sunshine going by Lake FarmPark and the site of the Murder Barn.  

I can't get into the whole Star Wars thing today.  I'm a graduate of Kent State, and lived there for a few years after getting my degree.  I worked with a local who's mother was one of the police dispatchers back in 1970.  The ex-hippies who moved there in the 70s and the yearly commemorations really make May 4th a very specific day not related to Star Wars.  

I didn't realize the Kent State shootings had happened on May 4 until earlier today when I saw a 50 year commemorative article. 😞

I never could get into the "May the 4th be with you" stuff anyway because I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I can definitely see how living there and knowing people who were involved/lived through it would leave a lifetime impression. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

That's the hardest part about moving away. My parents will be buried in the same cemetery when the time comes. I won't be able to ensure everything is maintained and drop in for occasions. The funeral home that owns it does maintain the grounds. My other relatives are buried elsewhere and it is expected that you will maintain the grounds yourself.

I remember sitting next to a woman on a plane to Europe years ago. Her daughter had given birth and she came to stay with her daughter and the baby for a few months. Both of her daughters came here temporarily for work and met men. They both got married and didn't go back. The woman told me never to travel because I would meet someone, move away from home, and break my mother's heart. 

Well, in my case it was finding my passion and this is yet another stepping stone. Now the love part, if that pans out REALLY sorry Ma.

• Love 7

in my southeast michigan area today - a minimum wage greeter at a dollar store was shot and killed for telling a family they needed to wear masks to enter.

next news story - old white guy told he needed to wear a mask in a store, grabs the greeter's arm and wipes his nose on her sleeve. swears at her and leaves.

both things captured on video - faces on the news - one arrest so far in the shooting

but god this is what we have come to - are we great again yet or can we stop being so great?

• Love 1

Just wear a fucking mask when in public. It's not that hard. I went grocery shopping today. Everyone was masked, no one bitched about the inconvenience. Yay liberals! 

• Love 20
(edited)

People have lost their minds.  I thought it was bad enough that people threatened store clerks in our state for telling them that they needed to wear masks to be served.  The fools will be the death of all of us.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 12

no shoes, no shirt, no service has a been thing here for 30+ years. been upheld in courts. so now it is wear masks, businesses have the right to refuse service.

it's not hard people, just wear the damn mask or stay the hell home.

to kill someone over that is insanity

• Love 20
(edited)
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Nope, not All Souls.  Mentor Municipal.  Very well kept, laid out in logical fashion. Easy to find everyone.  My late sister, now ‘residing’ at Mentor, lived maybe a half mile from Murder Barn.  We used to joke about crazy Mormons with machetes sneaking through her backyard.  My niece worked summers at Farm Park in college and met her fiancé there.  I remember doing hayrides with the kids’ preschool classes there in the fall, very fun.

My bro in law went to Kent ‘74-‘79.  It used to drive him nuts when people would ask if the National Guard was still on campus-THREE years later. And with The Vietnam Nam War having ended. 
I remember May 4, 1971 really well.  When the first reports came on TV, it seemed incomprehensible.  Then again, one of my cousins was in the Guard at the time, having joined to avoid the draft.  Luckily, he wasn’t called up to Kent.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6

@laurakaye, thank you for sharing. Using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs goes a long way in explaining my inability to get motivated. It's bad enough when I couldn't get hand sanitizer and toilet paper, but I have those and I still can't get yeast. It's been so long I don't even remember what I needed the yeast for, I just know it's been on my list since the end of March. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Nysha said:

@laurakaye, thank you for sharing. Using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs goes a long way in explaining my inability to get motivated. It's bad enough when I couldn't get hand sanitizer and toilet paper, but I have those and I still can't get yeast. It's been so long I don't even remember what I needed the yeast for, I just know it's been on my list since the end of March. 

Yeast? What is this faeries dust that you speak of? It’s been so long I don’t know what it (or flour)  look like anymore. 

I’m another person who isn’t getting all the closets cleaned out. I did get the kitchen cabinets and pantry done. Mind you I first did it for sanitary (Covid) reasons or that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. 

• Love 1
Just now, Westiepeach said:

No, no, no. No at all. When I get off my iPad  and get to my computer I will send a link to the story. It is not pretty. I live pretty close to this area.

Thank you! I enjoy reading true crime, and this is a new one on me. I'll probably regret finding out whatever it is, but my Googlefu was failing me. 

• Love 1

Yes, people have gone mad.  Some seniors from the high school were protesting at my town's "downtown".  The group looked like the epitome of white privilege and in reading the thread posted on facebook, most of their mommies were heartily defending their right to protest. IMO - they were mad they didn't get their senior sendoff.  Too bad. 

I saw this posted somewhere else. "If you expect elementary school children to endure the trauma of active shooter drills for your freedoms, you can wear a mask to Costco. "

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
24 minutes ago, Zella said:

Oh my!

It’s crazy. I live less than 10 minutes from there. It was a barn... just a barn. I had seen it a thousand times. I was very happy when it was torn down!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Westiepeach said:

It’s crazy. I live less than 10 minutes from there. It was a barn... just a barn. I had seen it a thousand times. I was very happy when it was torn down!

I bet!

I'm surprised I never have heard of this case before. In addition to true crime, I find cults fascinating. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Zella said:

I bet!

I'm surprised I never have heard of this case before. In addition to true crime, I find cults fascinating. 

I was 9 when that happened and it has led me into loving true crime and cults.  It was the biggest news story in Lake County for a while.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I bet!

I find cults fascinating too. I’ll watch anything about any cult at any time. I also find Nazi history fascinating...so yeah, cults.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I find cults fascinating too. I’ll watch anything about any cult at any time. I also find Nazi history fascinating...so yeah, cults.

Same here! I've read way too much about cults, true crime, and WWII. As a general rule, the more something horrifies me, the more likely I am to read about it. Doesn't do wonders for my sleeping habits but it is what it is.

I remember watching a documentary on the children of Nazis and identifying said Nazis from their descendants' faces before their names were announced, and being like, "I might need to find other things to do with my time . . ." 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

Same here! I've read way too much about cults, true crime, and WWII. As a general rule, the more something horrifies me, the more likely I am to read about it. Doesn't do wonders for my sleeping habits but it is what it is.

I remember watching a documentary on the children of Nazis and identifying said Nazis from their descendants' faces before their names were announced, and being like, "I might need to find other things to do with my time . . ." 

Anderson Cooper being happy about being a dad is always a good palate cleanser. 

• Love 24

@jjane, I sincerely hope you gain permanent custody of your great niece. It sounds like you may be saving her life. Hope you get her medications and appointments settled, too.

Please let us know how the May 20th hearing goes.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Absolom said:

People have lost their minds.  I thought it was bad enough that people threatened store clerks in our state for telling them that they needed to wear masks to be served.  The fools will be the death of all of us.  

It was only a matter of minutes, in my opinion, that this would start happening when our governor (Michigan) started requiring people to wear masks in any enclosed public space if they were medically able to.  I don't know how strict stores are going to be, and I don't know how policable it really is - but it's unnerving going to the store when the mask wearers and the non-mask wearers are silently (or not so silently) judging each other.  Grocery shopping, while never exactly a fun task, has taken a turn into a low-key tense situation and now I just want to get my stuff and get out of there.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, jjane said:

Hi Guys, I've been away for a while. Some of you may remember that there have been a lot of problems with my niece. In February I found out that the verbal abuse of her daughter  that no one at DCFS cared about had turned to physical abuse. My great niece had tried to kill herself several times and her mother always said it was because she had mental problems. Every time we turned around she had been admitted to one mental facility or another. Her mother was trying to get her admitted to a long term facility. She told me that having to take care of my great niece was keeping her from living her life. Until the great niece opened up about the physical abuse no one would do anything, When she told me the details of the physical abuse I started making complaints to the child abuse hotline. No matter how many I made, though, she continued to be admitted to facilities. All her mother had to do was call the sheriff and say she threatened her and off she went. I told DCFS so many times that she would run attempt suicide or run away every time she was given back to her mother, Finally I found a lawyer who was willing to try for emergency custody and we got it against all odds. We have a hearing about changing permanent custody on May 20.

Our  great niece is here and thriving, She loves decorating her room and being part of a family. With her mother she was isolated and not allowed around very many people I mostly saw them when there was some reason for me to spend money on them. Now, I was already paying their bills because my niece refused to get a job. I finally took away her credit card and said I would not continue to pay her bills, My sister , the great nieces grandmother is supporting my niece because she says she has to support her daughter, I told her she should not support an abuser. She is incensed that I am no longer paying the bills. I took the child from a facility and she only had two changes of clothes so the first order of business was buying some but we were limited tp Target and Walmart. Her mother refuses to give us anything  She also cancelled all her upcoming  appointments and her medications.  For the last week I have been fighting to get this straight. I hope the permanent custody goes our way because my great niece told us we saved  her life and I don't even want to think what will happen if she is  returned tp her mother. I would appreciate your prayers and good thoughts as we go through this. 

Much love, Janet

Wow, that is such a story!  I also hope you get permanent custody - maybe with the lawyer at your side (even virtually) it can happen.  Is your great niece old enough to give a statement?  Are there Child Advocacy Centers where you are?  Hoping for good news from you!!

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

It was only a matter of minutes, in my opinion, that this would start happening when our governor (Michigan) started requiring people to wear masks in any enclosed public space if they were medically able to.  I don't know how strict stores are going to be, and I don't know how policable it really is - but it's unnerving going to the store when the mask wearers and the non-mask wearers are silently (or not so silently) judging each other.  Grocery shopping, while never exactly a fun task, has taken a turn into a low-key tense situation and now I just want to get my stuff and get out of there.

costco is enforcing you must wear a mask to enter. for all the "boycott costco" or "cancel your costco membership" groups out there, not many will cancel. where else will they buy their cartloads of essentials?

update on the news stories from yesterday - old white guy who wiped his nose on a family dollar employee's sleeve - arrested and to be charged on felony counts.

other story of dollar store employee shot and killed. - one arrest, other 2 suspects are known. names and pics all over the news

• Love 9

JJane. bless you for your intervention!  The mother's actions sound outrageous.  I'll say prayers for you all and the future proceedings.  You have worked a miracle for your great niece.  This will prove to be the life changing event in her life.  Please keep us posted as you are able.  You are an inspiration to me. 

• Love 5

I'm going to find the places that require masks on all customers (and employees) and only shop at those stores.   I located one full service gas station and went there with some old cash I had on hand pre-pandemic.  I kept my window up when they pumped my gas and then carefully slipped her the cash through the window with it barely open, to avoid handing her my card.  I really don't want to handle gas pump and payments.  I'm going to run out of pre-pandemic cash eventually though. lol   

• Love 10

@jjane I’m so glad that you got her away from her abusive mother. I’ve heard talk of so much abuse accelerating because of isolating and Covid running like a waterfall in institutions (mostly nursing homes, but others as well). Thankfully she is out of those situations. Prayers and best wishes for May 20th. 

@Jeeves I really hope that your test is negative. It is scary to get sick in these times.  Do you wear glasses? Sometimes my eyes have gotten wonky and I find my eyewear needs to be readjusted. Regardless, feel better soon. 

• Love 8

So now store employees not only take their lives into their own hands simply by showing up to work every day, they also risk it when customers don't feel like abiding by the safety rules set forth by the governors.  Now how long is it going to be before employees are going to let the non-mask wearers slide on by?  What's the higher risk - that the customer is carrying concealed, or that the customer might infect others by not wearing a mask?  I mean, this is a no-win situation.  The slow reopening is going to be scarier than the shelter in place.

• Love 12
(edited)
54 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

So now store employees not only take their lives into their own hands simply by showing up to work every day, they also risk it when customers don't feel like abiding by the safety rules set forth by the governors.  Now how long is it going to be before employees are going to let the non-mask wearers slide on by?  What's the higher risk - that the customer is carrying concealed, or that the customer might infect others by not wearing a mask?  I mean, this is a no-win situation.  The slow reopening is going to be scarier than the shelter in place.

Yes, maybe, those who want to follow guidelines stick to certain stores and those who don't go to others.  Not sure how that might apply to the employees though. Hard to imagine any employee would choose to work in a place without masks on the customers.  Maybe, those stores need to be self-check out only. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Good luck, Jeeves! Hope your test is negative. But definitely better to air on the side of caution. I was wondering if it was also perhaps eye strain? I didn't realize those could be potential signs of COVID-19 too. 😞 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm going to find the places that require masks on all customers (and employees) and only shop at those stores.   I located one full service gas station and went there with some old cash I had on hand pre-pandemic.  I kept my window up when they pumped my gas and then carefully slipped her the cash through the window with it barely open, to avoid handing her my card.  I really don't want to handle gas pump and payments.  I'm going to run out of pre-pandemic cash eventually though. lol   

My town also has a full-service gas station. I go there anyway as a general rule because I'm lazy, but I've reasoned it's probably better than handling the gas pumps myself right now. (I did try that in the beginning, and I just kept using so much sanitizer afterward.) I have on a mask any time I go--and I don't have to fill up much right now since I only go to town once a week--and keep my window up and sanitize the shit out of my hands afterward. I also tip the kid who pumps the gas well. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

I also tip the kid who pumps the gas well. 

That’s very nice of you. 
I’m still paying my housekeeper and the house really needs her touch. Sadly her daughter (who has Lupus, and is on dialysis) just had to be hospitalized for a week because she had to have fluid removed from around her heart. She’s 18 and been very sick since she was 16. That means I’ll have to wait at least another two weeks before evaluating whether or not I’m comfortable with her coming to clean wearing a mask. I know. Problems of the privileged. Still I’ve paid over 1k for her to not work.  She has enough on her mind without worrying about money. 

• Love 23

Omg. I got in a Facebook argument last night with this yahoo who said that if you’re saved, it doesn’t matter if you die from Coronavirus anyway. However, he is absolutely not wearing a mask because freedom! Murca! I asked him how God was going to feel about him risking the lives of other people because he didn’t feel like wearing a mask, and he deleted his whole comment! People and their selfishness disgust me. I made a comment about concord mills mall opening, simply asking how they’re going to sanitize clothes that have been tried on, and I’m still getting daily hateful replies on there. Why do all the people who want to reopen everything always have to be so rude?

On a lighter note, I saw this ad on Facebook and absolutely died laughing! This must be Duggar lingerie! It completely looks like kendra’s dresses where she adds a super obvious modesty panel. Duggar approved VS lingerie!

986B5764-E7B2-44F5-BE56-772D38631CCF.jpeg

• LOL 11
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

they have been somehow charged but the husband and son have not been apprehended yet

"Sharmel Teague has been arrested. Police were looking for her husband and son."

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Omg. I got in a Facebook argument last night with this yahoo who said that if you’re saved, it doesn’t matter if you die from Coronavirus anyway. However, he is absolutely not wearing a mask because freedom! Murca! I asked him how God was going to feel about him risking the lives of other people because he didn’t feel like wearing a mask, and he deleted his whole comment! People and their selfishness disgust me. I made a comment about concord mills mall opening, simply asking how they’re going to sanitize clothes that have been tried on, and I’m still getting daily hateful replies on there. Why do all the people who want to reopen everything always have to be so rude?

On a lighter note, I saw this ad on Facebook and absolutely died laughing! This must be Duggar lingerie! It completely looks like kendra’s dresses where she adds a super obvious modesty panel. Duggar approved VS lingerie!

986B5764-E7B2-44F5-BE56-772D38631CCF.jpeg

The laugh was for the lingerie. I know how you feel about buying clothes right now. I usually wash something before wearing it, but only if I’ve tried it on and know it won’t shrink too much. I’m not comfortable trying anything on. This means before my jeans get tighter I have to think about scaling back on my eating!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5