Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I would have been tempted to turn around and say" Thank you for sharing your germs with everyone. "  I would not have done it but would have wanted to.

I am a chicken and would not say anything to anyone.

• Love 4

And quite frankly I have enough demented hillbilly in me that I cannot guarantee if one of them slaps me that I won't lose my shit and hit them back. (Had a cousin get fired from a job for that. . . .)

Same, but I'm a kicker. Any man or woman who tries to slap me is getting a swift kick to the nether regions. It brings both sexes down pretty quickly. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I am a bit leery since the lab developing this antibody gave the information as an 'exclusive' to Fox News rather than a widespread media release.  Also, the spokesperson claims that the antibody is '100% effective' in stopping COVID and will be available in just a few months to the general public but apparently hasn't even been tested in humans yet.  He cannot possibly be sure of either claim at this point.

Meanwhile, in the past couple weeks, labs in both Germany and Israel reported similar antibody discoveries; but neither made the sort of stupendous claims made in this story,  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

There is tremendous research going on and I do think we are going to come up with even more effective treatments for the virus in upcoming months and it is more likely that we will become much better at treating the virus long before a vaccine is available.

100% effective? Is he the same idiot that John Oliver showed on his show a couple weeks ago who was on Fox News claiming that chloro drug was 100% effective due to a study he was part of in Stanford. Stanford which claimed no such study happened and he wasn't part of any of their studies and I don't even think he went to Stanford? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Just now in Target 2 young women weren’t wearing masks. They were sucking down iced coffee and blabbing. Then one started coughing up a lung... I just am disgusted by people who don’t wear masks.

It's gross and it's especially gross if they have kids with them. I see families at my store all the time. Mom, dad, multiple kid who touch everything. No masks. Babies of various ages are common too. Me and my co-worker, we both have kids that haven't been inside a store since before St Patrick's day, judge them harshly.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just realized that I have RUINED my best pair of summer pants with bleach splatter!  I must have not been careful enough as I was disinfecting something.  I can still wear them around the house, but, what a waste:(

You could hang them in the bathroom & spray bleach water on the front & back, then the splatter would be part of the design. Or get fabric paint and paint daisies around the splatter drops.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Nysha said:

You could hang them in the bathroom & spray bleach water on the front & back, then the splatter would be part of the design. Or get fabric paint and paint daisies around the splatter drops.

See, Nysha’s creative. I was just going to suggest that you wait until you’re my age and then you magically become invisible to 90% of the population.

• LOL 18
  • Love 3

Some of the online diabetes support buddies of mine say that they see most everyone trying to comply with covid restrictions..! It’s really hard to imagine. I suppose it varies by region. 

• Love 7

Just read another article about a Wisconsin bar. Some patrons were interviewed. One was a full-time nurse. She felt the risk of being in a bar was no greater than being in a grocery store. The hospital where she works commented they do their best to educate staff.

Just now, GeeGolly said:

Just read another article about a Wisconsin bar. Some patrons were interviewed. One was a full-time nurse. She felt the risk of being in a bar was no greater than being in a grocery store. The hospital where she works commented they do their best to educate staff.

How much time does she spend hanging out in a grocery store? I’m in and out in fifteen minutes even in pre-Covid times.

She’s lying to herself. 

• Love 18

One of my mom's closest cousins lost a dear friend and mentor yesterday.  There were posts saying it's all about herd immunity, God's will, and good old natural selection.  Maryland, for the most part, is beginning phase 1 of opening back up as of this evening.  Three counties, along with the city, have flat out said they are not ready.  We're in Baltimore County but less than 2.5 miles from the city line.  They have us in a partial reopening, which means retail can open with curbside pickup only, no personal services (salons, etc), and no indoor religious gatherings.  We must continue social distancing and masks must still be worn in public areas.  Our governor has said if we have a spike after this, we will go back to the stay-at-home order.  I am so sick and tired of hearing about how these measures are taking away constitutional rights.  If you want to be an asshole and screw with your own health, have at it.  But, you don't have the right to be a reckless dick when it comes to another person's health.  My brain hurts...

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

How much time does she spend hanging out in a grocery store? I’m in and out in fifteen minutes even in pre-Covid times.

She’s lying to herself. 

And possibly putting vulnerable patients at more risk. 

• Love 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

She’s lying to herself. 

At the grocery store there are more people with masks (didn't see any at that bar) and there are not as many people packed in for as long as a typical bar party like this one seemed to be so yeah she's lying to herself if this is how she's justifying it to herself.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, sixlets said:

I am so sick and tired of hearing about how these measures are taking away constitutional rights.  If you want to be an asshole and screw with your own health, have at it.  But, you don't have the right to be a reckless dick when it comes to another person's health.  My brain hurts...

This is just spot on.

Sigh.

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I went out to the first place I've been to in 2 months - an outdoor nursery, to get a hanging basket. Everyone was masked, employees and customers, which amounted to 4 other people, all keeping their distance. The employee untied her mask to check us out 😳 We were masked and standing back more than 6 ft, thank goodness! On the way home we drove around our (adorable) town square and there were about 15 protesters, with signs like "All Lies" and of course, Trump signs. Today was a beautiful day. I bet those people (most of them elderly) wouldn't have bothered protesting on a rainy day. None of them wore masks. I truly can't believe that people think protecting yourself from a highly contagious and potentially deadly disease, is a partisan issue!

about 250 people protested here in michigan at the capitol yesterday in rain. I found it amusing they carried umbrellas or wore dollar store rain ponchos to protect themselves from a few drops of rain, but refused to wear masks to protect themselves or others from a deadly virus.

messed up priorities there

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Same, but I'm a kicker. Any man or woman who tries to slap me is getting a swift kick to the nether regions. It brings both sexes down pretty quickly. 

I won't ask how you know this.

• LOL 15
12 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

about 250 people protested here in michigan at the capitol yesterday in rain. I found it amusing they carried umbrellas or wore dollar store rain ponchos to protect themselves from a few drops of rain, but refused to wear masks to protect themselves or others from a deadly virus.

messed up priorities there

So true.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Nysha said:

The scum who murdered my sister was sentenced to 100 years in prison! He'll be eligible to petition for parole in 25 years, but even if he gets out, he'll be almost 80. Personally, I hope he lives a very long life behind bars.

Gregory Green gets 100 years...

Your sister was a lovely lady. I’m so sorry this happened to all of you. There are no words for that thing that took her away.  With covid, there is a good chance that he will not survive.

I just wanted to add that I do understand that some people can not wear a mask due to a health condition. Some breathing conditions make it very difficult to manage with a mask on. I don’t imagine that most people have that excuse though. 

• Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, kieyra said:

In my metro it seems to vary from zipcode to zipcode.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article242656956.html

Hey thanks for that article. It helps a lot.  This is my area. I feel I need to go somewhere that is in compliance just to recharge my batteries. Planning on The Fresh Market. Probably the one at Cameron Village before too long.

Tonight I saw a story on something called “mask shaming.” Lol But, it’s not true. These people are shameless.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Free for 48 hours only! The award winning play..not the bad movie..although I haven't seen either one (yet) to judge how good or bad they are.😊

Ps..I was today years old when I learned you can watch YouTube AD-FREE if you open it up in the free Ad blocker browser! How did I not know this before?? 🤔

• Love 7

So ,I have been going to YouTube lately and watching/listening to music videos. I found one that I keep going back to. It is Avi Kaplan and Peter Hollens so singing " Black is the color of my true loves hair." Trust me in saying it is definitely worth you time to check it out. Like if you were with me I would be handing you my tablet and saying" You have to hear this".

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just realized that I have RUINED my best pair of summer pants with bleach splatter!  I must have not been careful enough as I was disinfecting something.  I can still wear them around the house, but, what a waste:(

Oh no that’s so sad I’m sorry. 

14 hours ago, Nysha said:

The scum who murdered my sister was sentenced to 100 years in prison! He'll be eligible to petition for parole in 25 years, but even if he gets out, he'll be almost 80. Personally, I hope he lives a very long life behind bars.

I’m so sorry for your loss, may the fact that this POS will never be free bring you some comfort. 

• Love 7

Nysha, nothing will bring your sister back or probably take away your grief, but I'm so glad that POS will never see the light of day again. May he rot in jail. 

• Love 8
On 5/15/2020 at 9:50 PM, Nysha said:

That is one person that shouldn't be wearing a face mask (for the horrendous things he did.)

• Love 4

Evening all!  I can't go to FB with this since no one knows about this particular side of my life (only my mom and Mr. Six know).  I have been dealing with anemia for the last 4-5 years.  I am asymptomatic, and the only way I knew was from having blood work done.  I see a hematologist twice a year for a follow up and labs.  I've done iron infusions once a year for the past 3.  One of those appointments is scheduled for this Thursday, and it was made the last time I was in, which was back in November.  I keep going back and forth on whether I want to keep this appointment.  I can't do it through a televisit since I have blood work done before I see the doctor, and they do a rapid test, so I get the initial numbers before I leave.  The office is in a medical park, and they see oncology patients as well.  I know he won't be happy with me, but I don't feel comfortable with going for two reasons.  I could be sick, not know it, and pass it to someone.  And selfishly, I'm worried about someone getting me sick since my doctor considers me high-risk.  If my numbers are low, and I do need an iron infusion, I will be in a room with people receiving chemo treatment.  The thought that I could get someone sick who is already so sick makes me want to throw up.  

I just need to make up my mind, but I would love input from someone other than my husband and mom.  Thank you!!

• Love 13

I get monthly tumor treatments and I know exactly how you feel.  The first one since COVID was the toughest for me emotionally.  From my experience places that do the kind of treatments you're talking about are taking every precaution.  They'll ask you about exposure and symptoms and take your temperature.  They'll probably want you to wear their mask and will have hand sanitizer freely available.  They'll have things set up for distancing and 99% of the people will be onboard with following all precautions.  The 1% can be glared into keeping their distance.  Only you can make the decision on the trade-off, but you're more than likely safe and will be better able to handle the virus should you get it if you get your treatment.

• Love 16
44 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Evening all!  I can't go to FB with this since no one knows about this particular side of my life (only my mom and Mr. Six know).  I have been dealing with anemia for the last 4-5 years.  I am asymptomatic, and the only way I knew was from having blood work done.  I see a hematologist twice a year for a follow up and labs.  I've done iron infusions once a year for the past 3.  One of those appointments is scheduled for this Thursday, and it was made the last time I was in, which was back in November.  I keep going back and forth on whether I want to keep this appointment.  I can't do it through a televisit since I have blood work done before I see the doctor, and they do a rapid test, so I get the initial numbers before I leave.  The office is in a medical park, and they see oncology patients as well.  I know he won't be happy with me, but I don't feel comfortable with going for two reasons.  I could be sick, not know it, and pass it to someone.  And selfishly, I'm worried about someone getting me sick since my doctor considers me high-risk.  If my numbers are low, and I do need an iron infusion, I will be in a room with people receiving chemo treatment.  The thought that I could get someone sick who is already so sick makes me want to throw up.  

I just need to make up my mind, but I would love input from someone other than my husband and mom.  Thank you!!

Call the Dr. and find out how things are handled. I hear some Dr.s are having you wait on your car till the appointment time. Know what to expect will help your stress level. You and your Dr. will make the best decision for your health.

• Love 21

I understand your concerns completely, but this is important. Your overall health could mean surviving this thing at some point, yes?

The suggestions above are great...call them up and ask how they’re handling these procedures now. I’m hoping you’ll be reassured.

Also it’s obvious that you’re a pretty great person to be concerned for others this way. 
Brava!

• Love 21
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

This is an essential treatment as far as I'm concerned. Don't delay!

Talk to your physician's office first to see what precautions they are taking though. I think that will alleviate a lot of your fears by talking to someone who is physically present in the office and has observed what it's like on a day to day basis. 

We've gotten the all clear to go back to our offices this week. My boss is keeping us all on work from home for the foreseeable future. I will have to go in and check on the offices once a week since I'm the closest. I'm probably going to have to tackle cleaning and dusting sometime soon since the janitorial staff is a bit busy. 

Stopped by the pharmacy and they still have Easter candy out. I take ages to eat it but it is so tempting when it is 80% off...

• Love 11

Which is why many black people are afraid to wear masks in public, especially black men. I can’t blame them. But it makes me sick that this is just another way they are put at risk in this society.

Saw the above post from @latetotheparty in the Sweet Fellowship thread and had to comment. 

I ordered a bunch of masks in Disney and animal prints so that they would appear less threatening(I also do LOVE Disney so it was fine). The other day it was raining as I walked to the mailbox so I put the hood of my sweatshirt up- I realized what I had done and ripped it off, getting wet was the least of my concerns and I felt a tiny bit safer knowing that my braid was visible. (But only a tiny bit)

I don’t mind wearing a mask at all (physically it doesn’t bother me) but I know I have to be careful as a black woman. When I go to the store I go right after senior hour when it’s not crowded. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I ordered a bunch of masks in Disney and animal prints so that they would appear less threatening(I also do LOVE Disney so it was fine). The other day it was raining as I walked to the mailbox so I put the hood of my sweatshirt up- I realized what I had done and ripped it off, getting wet was the least of my concerns and I felt a tiny bit safer knowing that my braid was visible. (But only a tiny bit)

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry that you and others are dealing with this fear on top of the anxiety that covid is already causing. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

@Scarlett45, I'm so sorry that you and others are dealing with this fear on top of the anxiety that covid is already causing. 

I’m the least anxious person that ever lived so I’m okay! Don’t worry about me. I’m not afraid to live my life but I like to take certain precautions. Any excuse to wear fandom things you know- given the job I have an the fact that I have the worlds highest pitched voice and baby face I never wear fandom things outside of theme parks because I want people to know I’m an adult- WFH is a fun time to wear all the Baby Yoda and Disney gear I want. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 13

@sixlets I would suggest you keep your medical appointment. This is your health, not something routine that can be put off like a teeth cleaning. Your doctor probably has determined that the iron infusions are best for your long term health and well-being?

Of course you don’t want to get sick or get someone else sick, but empirically would it be worse to stay inside and NOT have your infusion OR go to your appointment, follow the proper precautions and have a small chance of contracting the disease or passing it to someone else?

I would ask your doctor and if they don’t think the infusion can be delayed without impact to your health I would go. 

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, sixlets said:

I'm going with the crowd and feel you should keep your appointment. I know first hand how you feel & felt the same way with my monthly infusions for my rheumatoid arthritis.  My doctor's office is on top of things & have gone way beyond what is neccessary in the cleaning of the area & spacing of patients. They are scheduling patients so there are only one or two of us in the room & then we are sitting way across the room from one another. Every one wears masks & as I said before, even the receptionist wore gloves & was using hand sanitizer. 

The biggest reason to go & like others have said, you want your body to be in tip top condition if God forbid you caught something.  I will be going for my third infusion tomorrow & there is no way I would be functioning if I decided to not get them. 

Good Luck!

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 5
(edited)

On a lighter note, I just wanted to update about the Zoom wedding I attended this weekend.  It was lovely!  The couple was right on the beach standing in front of a  simple wedding arch of white with the backdrop the Atlantic Ocean.....sunny, warm, sand, and not too much wind, which is surprising.  The only ones in attendance were the parties and their parents and step parents.  They kept the number in attendance under 10!   The sound wasn't that great during the vows, but, their faces said it all.  I've never seen a groom that excited and the bride glowed. I sipped a glass a wine to celebrate and it was a very enjoyable afternoon.  The bride later texted me that she LOVED the virtual toast I sent that I had recorded earlier.  So, the couple is planning to stay at the beach, rent locally (their parents live there) and wait out covid for a while.  So, a very extended honeymoon!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 22
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

On a lighter note, I just wanted to update about the Zoom wedding I attended this weekend.  It was lovely!  The couple was right on the beach standing in front of a  simple wedding arch of white with the backdrop the Atlantic Ocean.....sunny, warm, sand, and not too much wind, which is surprising.  The only ones in attendance were the parties and their parents and step parents.  They kept the number in attendance under 10!   The sound wasn't that great during the vows, but, their faces said it all.  I've never seen a groom that excited and the bride glowed. I sipped a glass a wine to celebrate and it was a very enjoyable afternoon.  The bride later texted me that she LOVED the virtual toast I sent that I had recorded earlier.  So, the couple is planning to stay at the beach, rent locally (their parents live there) and wait out covid for a while.  So, a very extended honeymoon!  

That’s so nice!

• Love 5
(edited)

The bride was a little late coming out and so we listened to some awesome music waiting. One that I used to love really had me up dancing.(You're My Angel by Shaggy.  I love the song, but, not the video, so, I'm not posting it. lol)  I need that joy every day. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

Thanks so much for all the replies!  I'm going to give them a call today and find out what exactly is going on.  This office is through a major medical center, and their website is stating all routine appointments are being rescheduled/canceled for the time being.  One thing I wanted to clear up is I won't be getting any infusion at this appointment.  It would be blood work to get some initial numbers, and the rest of the workup is sent to an outside lab.  I do see the doctor, but it's brief.  I have to make an appointment with my primary for the month of June, and I could have all the blood work done then.  I'm due for my 6 month labs with her anyway to test vitamin D level, cholesterol, etc.  The iron checks can be added to the list.  It just means more blood will be taken, which I'm cool with.  Thank you all again for the outside perspectives.  Hope you all have a good day! 

• Love 10
15 hours ago, sixlets said:

I will just say that my sick son with cancer sees the oncologist every two weeks, blood work first.  It was scary for all of us the first time or two, but, the cancer center has made all kinds of accommodations - they only see active cases.  People like me who go just for a checkup after 10 years they are not seeing.  They are separating people, using best practices, etc.   

• Love 8

One of the many things I did this weekend was plant flowers in my outdoor pots AND get the silicone spikes put up so no more pigeons. I did feel so bad for the pigeon- it worked so hard on this nest!

2776E147-8243-4EF3-977B-E0C1B0766F4C.jpeg

42684E66-AED7-4E98-AEDE-B31BAAE7C334.jpeg

48BC33BA-4CB2-4087-882E-F38B5DA11ADF.jpeg

• Love 11