Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

The standard line by Alzheimer's groups is let them have the fantasy.  It's hard on them to be contradicted.  Although I understand the first time it happens, it's so very hard to let them go on.  I've had to tell my mother a couple times her husband is dead because she was throwing fits to see him.  My mother has Alzheimer's with psychosis which is an extra little fun package to handle. 

• Love 8

@Oldernowiser I heard a story on the radio where this couple was dealing with her mother who was dealing with dementia. They were also part of an improv troup and they were advised to "step into her world". Basically accept her fantasies as they weren't hurting anyone. My mom and her family tended to guide grandma back to reality. Either approach seems to work.. My best advice is don't fight with her and make sure she's safe.  Tell her the truth when it's important to like in @Absolom's story. 

• Love 11

@Oldernowiser I feel for you. I think I’d mention this to her doctor. Along with dementia, it could be related to dehydration, lack of sleep, changes in or reactions to medication, and even infection.

It’s a tough spot to be in for both of you. Hugs.

• Love 14

My mom had Alzheimer's. We would let her talk about whatever. If the topic started going south, we would try to change the subject rather than disagree with her. If all else failed we might offer her some ice cream or something.

Like @ginger90 said, it's tough stuff all around, @Oldernowiser. Please accept my hugs as well.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Back to hour long conversations with the cats lol. (They wish this would last forever because I am good staff and on call 24/7).  

Our cats feel the same way. We went to the garage to meet a friend for a socially distant masked driveway hand-off of supplies the other day and Pixie was waiting at the top of the stairs, looking concerned, when we cam back in 10 minutes later.

23 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay...you’re a smart, compassionate group...did I do the wrong thing?

My 92 y.o. mother has been in Assisted Living for 3 1/2 years. My father died 2 1/2 years ago. In general, she is a cheerful, ridiculously optimistic person (clearly I take after my father) and she has handled it all pretty well, although her dementia has increasingly progressed.

Usually when she comes up with something completely nonsensical, she’ll snap back to reality in a bit if you just let her keep talking. Usually.

For the first time two days ago when I called her, she was talking like my father was still alive. It was like she’d gone back to when they first moved into AL and my father hated it, and she was saying that she was okay with it but she wasn’t sure he’d stay.

I just...froze. She was saying it all so factually that I had to pinch myself to remember that this is in fact, 2020. But I kept quiet, thinking she’d come back to reality.

But it went on. After a while, she started saying she didn’t know where he’d gotten to, like she was going to call him to the phone, and I just blurted, “Mom, he’s dead.”  She sort of shifted back into the present then. Sort of.

Should I have just let her stay in her memories? Honestly, if I’d heard her start calling him I was going to lose it. It was close, anyway...my father and I did not get along and she refused to see it or acknowledge his part in it when she did. So this hit a pretty hot button for me.

What should I have done? When someone is that far down the road, is it kinder to let them keep walking?

My dad often hallucinates and I struggle with this, too. I think you can only do what you can in the moment and it sounds like in this case, you were taken aback and dealing with your own feelings. It is hard to lose a parent while they are still here. I sometimes try to gently reorient Dad and sometimes it works but sometimes it just doesn't. You get to be a human, too, and I wouldn't worry about having been "wrong."

7 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

@Oldernowiser I feel for you. I think I’d mention this to her doctor. Along with dementia, it could be related to dehydration, lack of sleep, changes in or reactions to medication, and even infection.

It’s a tough spot to be in for both of you. Hugs.

Agreed, it is worth mentioning to her doctor.

• Love 11

Thank you, all. I think what threw me most is that to her, my father’s death was the most devastating and therefore memorable thing that’s happened in her life. Ever. He had always been “the healthy one” while she had had multiple hospitalizations and surgeries for heart disease over two decades. Him dying was a huge shock to her...I honestly don’t think it ever occurred to her that he might go first.

To have that memory become muddled was just a total shock and I guess while we all knew that she was losing short-term stuff more and more, she’s been very clear about older memories. This was something of a watershed moment, and not one I saw coming.

I really appreciate your advice and your kindness. ❤️

• Love 24
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

My grandma has very progressed dementia. The doctors recommended for us to just play along with whatever she’s saying, at least if what she’s saying is reasonably happy. Correcting her will just make her distressed, and there’s not really any reason to do that.

@Oldernowiser I agree with @rue721 above. Correcting them will only lead to distress and confusion and they won’t remember the correction. So long as they aren’t hurting themselves or someone else let them have the fantasy. 

When my grandfather was going through it he once told my Mom “how are you be rude to Ms LuBerta?? I raised you to speak.” My Mom knew right away to say “I’m so sorry Ms LuBerta.”  Ms LuBerta had been dead 30yrs and my grandfather was blind, fighting with him would have accomplished nothing. 

Dementia is awful and progressive, but those suffering still understand tone and kindness. 

59 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

To have that memory become muddled was just a total shock and I guess while we all knew that she was losing short-term stuff more and more, she’s been very clear about older memories. This was something of a watershed moment, and not one I saw coming.

I really appreciate your advice and your kindness. ❤️

Of course! This your mother- she gave you life. And please allow yourself to grieve for the loss YOU are going through as well too. It’s hard. 

• Love 14

My grandma had dementia, and she would slip in and out of the present times. We learned to just play along as long as what she said wasn’t harmful.  And you know what happened? I learned so much about her grandmother that I didn’t know.  She filled in gaps in the family tree and helped trace our genealogy. I don’t know that I would have heard all those wonderful stories if I hadn’t just let her talk. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

For those having trouble with relatives with dementia losing track of the time period and status of relatives, I should warn people of the next big jolt that hits when the relative doesn't know who you are.  My mother a couple of months ago starting telling me about myself in the third person in the middle of a conversation.  You know it's coming, but that first time is really tough.  It helps to try to prepare. 

• Love 3

My mother had vascular dementia the last year of her life, and in her last few months, she started asking for various people who had already passed.  At first we would explain that the person had died, and then she'd get upset and claim no one had told her when it happened.

We found that what worked best in our situation was to tell her that whoever she was asking for wasn't able to come see her right now, but that they loved her very much.  For the most part this seemed to satisfy her, at least in that moment.  It didn't stop her from asking again and again for the same person, but at least that answer didn't upset her.

I always felt it was best to go along with the delusions as long as it was safely possible, but my brother strongly disagreed and refused to "lie" to his mother.  This answer satisfied him as well, but unfortunately, he still argued with her about small issues that made absolutely no difference whatsoever.  😞

She's been gone almost three years, and although I miss my mother every day, I'm glad she no longer suffers from the dementia.  I'm also grateful she didn't have to deal with this virus.  Sending good thoughts to everyone with vulnerable, senior parents!!! 

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Absolom said:

For those having trouble with relatives with dementia losing track of the time period and status of relatives, I should warn people of the next big jolt that hits when the relative doesn't know who you are.  My mother a couple of months ago starting telling me about myself in the third person in the middle of a conversation.  You know it's coming, but that first time is really tough.  It helps to try to prepare. 

My grandmother doesn't recognize me, at all. She fought with my parents over it. They tried several times and failed. In a lot of ways it is easier because there is a lot of resentment among the family. She doesn't remember how many children she has. She only remembers certain ones. It has been painful and a source of resentment for the ones she doesn't remember towards the ones she does remember. 

It's a bit easier to escape the wrath in some respects. She does know I exist, she is just certain that person she sees is not me. I will let it be. I couldn't imagine knowing your own mother doesn't believe your her child. My aunts and uncles in that situation reeeeeally need therapy but won't get it.  

My grandma passed of dementia several years ago. We too, just let her ramble for the most part. My mom would correct her more often than any of us grandkids day. I remember my sister and I going to visit her and she told us that my aunt called her and told her she was pregnant. I think the hardest thing for me was when she would think she was seeing people. I remember her sitting in a chair and out of the blue she looked down and was talking as if a child was there.

She was funny at some points though too. One time when my mom and I were visiting her she had asked what I was doing for dinner and I told her a restaurant we were going to. Without any hesitation she said, "Well don't look at me for money, you ask your mother."  She also asked my sister if she had a "sugar daddy" once. lol! She was a very sweet lady and I have very happy memories of her.

My mom is at the age my grandma(she was my mom's mom) was when she was diagnosed. My mom definetly has some memory issues, but nothing releated to dementia. She has brain scans every year and so far so good. I do feel that she may end up with some type of dementia down the road.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I just came back from a quick trip to Target to get new CO cylinders for my Soda Stream.  I did not know they did the exchanges; I have always traded my empties in at Bed Bath and Beyond.  My BBB posted on their web site that the store is "temporarily closed", so I had to find an alternative place.  About half of the customers were wearing masks, but the store does have a sign saying they would prefer you wear a mask.  I was sporting a cute new polka dot mask today.  Anyhow, I was in and out quickly with my cylinders. The Customer Service area was very organized and well-staffed.

I had to drive by Hobby Lobby to get home, and I was surprised that they were open, and there was a lot of traffic in and out.  I didn't know they were "essential".  It's not like they sell plumbing supplies or toilet paper.  California is starting to open up a little more, so maybe they are just ahead of the schedule.

• Love 3
(edited)

I had my first day of HAVING to go out for work. I've done most things remotely.   It involved going to the sheriff's department.  Worked out great. I had on mask and glasses.  (I'm hearing you need eye protection too.) When you walked into the door, there was a table with a plastic divider, so, it was very safe, imo.  In and out in less than 10 minutes. Went by my office and picked up my mail very quickly.  

Ref. dementia....my cousin, who is now end stage and on hospice in a facility, eventually forgot who I was. I never thought it would happen.  I would check out your mother for UTI, because that is common in seniors and can cause odd behavior and hallucinations. If it is dementia, though, I'd really keep an eye on her.  Sometimes, they can have a delusion or hallucination that frightens them and then they could do something dangerous, like run outside. We have a family friend that had that happen. He fell and never recovered. I wouldn't correct her on things, because, it won't matter later on and will just upset her.  

Please keep one of my good friends in your thoughts and prayers, as well as his family.  He's very sick in ICU.  It's not good. I'm not sure if he has Covid or not. A lot of things going on.  He's been in a nursing home.  I'm praying for his comfort and peace. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 14

A friend from college lost his dad last week to COVID-19. His dad was in his 90s but just 18 months ago he got an award from the city for how much volunteering he did. The family decided to have an in-person funeral and the priest "didn't believe" the limitation on gathering size applied to churches. I hope this decision does not have terrible consequences.

My dad called 911 last week from his care facility to tell them two guys were in his room, had stolen his granola bars, and were wearing the wrappers on their shoulders. He told them they did not have to send the sheriff, that he just wanted to report the crime.  The nurse at the facility told us his granola bars were fine, BTW.

(edited)

Today is my birthday, and so two of my kids came over with marigolds and tomato plants and planted them for me, while I watched through the storm door.  😊

They tried to bring me some Taco Bell, but they had run out of beef! 😱

(they got me a chicken sandwich at Popeyes instead)😋

Are meat shortages like this happening near any of you?

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 21
(edited)

HBD @ChiCricket

Finally talked to the nephew who is flying in this weekend to see his step-grandfather. He took the news that we wouldn't be able to meet up better than I thought. I promised a trip to AZ for spring training or fall league when there is a vaccine. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 15

Happy birthday, @ChiCricket

I haven't been to any restaurants even for takeout since the whole pandemic started, so can't comment on whether our restaurants are running out of meat. Our local Wal-Mart has had meat shortages--also haven't been there in awhile--but our local grocery store hasn't had any issues. Every time I go in there, they are well-stocked, and everybody I've talked to has agreed that they've never been and seen shortages. I assume they may use more local supplies because we have a lot of poultry and beef farms here. 

• Love 8

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHICRICKET!!!  Your family planting those flowers and tomatoes is so sweet and helpful. No beef for tacos isn’t that unusual in some places. I heard that some Wendys didn’t have burgers, only chicken sandwiches and salads. 
It sounds like a great day!  🏵️🌻🎂

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Today is my birthday, and so two of my kids came over with marigolds and tomato plants and planted them for me, while I watched through the storm door.  😊

Happy birthday!!! No meat shortage here. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Happy Birthday!!!!

No idea about meat (I’m a vegetarian), but if my mom can’t buy ground turkey or chicken wings for my sister I’m sure I’ll never hear the end of it. (Because of course she will starve to death🤣)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Happy birthday ChiCricket!
I know it’s not been an easy past few months for you, but I’m glad you got some special birthday treats.

I am so jealous that you’re able to grow tomatoes.  I miss having a garden.  Windowsills are a poor substitute.

• Love 6
(edited)

Happy Birthday, ChiCricket!

My mother didn't have Alzheimer's, but she was in assisted living for other health issues. A few months after I moved her there, her doctor, most likely at the recommendation of the facility's owner, started giving Mom some heavy anti-psychotic drugs that she didn't need (Haldol, Mellaril). I was not told what was going on, but I noticed that my mom was becoming more and more delusional.

Once Mom cheerfully informed me that my stepfather was going to take her out to dinner when he got home from work. Another time my brother was coming up for a visit on his motorcycle (both were long dead). I didn't want to argue with her, but I did ask her as gently as I could if she realized that her mind wasn't quite right. She admitted that yes, she did realize this - but that she kind of liked it that way.

Luckily I was able to get Mom off the drugs and into a better care facility, but first she had to spend a few days detoxing in a psychiatric ward. (Imagine how much fun it is to get any assisted living facility to accept your mom when she's just gotten out of a psychiatric ward!) It was gratifying to me when Mom started sounding like her old self again. She lived for a few more years, but her mind was never quite the same after that.

Edited by Bayarea4
  • Love 4

Happy Birthday, ! @ChiCricket ! 

Our local Sonic is limiting hamburgers to one patty, but I haven't heard of any other shortages. 

My mom was diagnosed with dementia about 15 years ago. Mostly it was just little things that would slip her mind or she would ask the same question several times. However, one time she had a very bad UTI and ended up in the hospital for a week. Until the day she died she believed that she saw the police murder a man in the hospital morgue. I never argued with her, I would just tell her that she must have been very scared and I was so glad she was home. 

• Love 11

@ChiCricket, Happy Birthday!

Our grocery stores are limiting meat per customer. We just got a family style steak dinner, curbside takeout, from Ninety Nine Restaurant & Pub for my husband's birthday. We also have a few local farms who sell meat packages, so no shortages there.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

Happy Birthday, ! @ChiCricket ! 

Our local Sonic is limiting hamburgers to one patty, but I haven't heard of any other shortages. 

My mom was diagnosed with dementia about 15 years ago. Mostly it was just little things that would slip her mind or she would ask the same question several times. However, one time she had a very bad UTI and ended up in the hospital for a week. Until the day she died she believed that she saw the police murder a man in the hospital morgue. I never argued with her, I would just tell her that she must have been very scared and I was so glad she was home. 

My mother-in-law with dementia was always very prone to UTIs as well, and I remember, a few instances when her dementia was still in its earlier stages, she would suddenly get really delusional and not be able to cope with anything alone, but clearing up the UTI would put her back on track. 

I don't remember whether I mentioned, a few weeks ago, that her roommate at the facility she resides in was diagnosed with COVID-19, and we understood, at the time, from what we were told, that they had separated them, and they were in isolation, but, in fact, they basically assumed that if one had it, the other would get it, and isolated them together. In any case, they both recovered, despite being in their 80s and very frail. I guess they got clearance to use hydroxychloroquine on them, and it did work, in their case, to arrest their symptoms.

• Useful 2

Happy Birthday, ChiCricket! Your kids were very thoughtful to celebrate you in that way. I love marigolds and home grown tomatoes - and a chicken sandwich is perfect too! 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Happy birthday!!!

Not here but the price of meat has shot up. So I'm guessing less people are buying due to the cost. 

They finally came in and fixed my a/c last night. My thermostat could no longer read the indoor temperature it was that high. I snapped and got a hotel room the other night. It was eerie because normally the hotels are slammed this time of year. No tourists right now. They've resorted to renting out rooms weekly to those who can't get a place to rent to keep afloat. You normally only see that at motels around here. Not hotels. 

I'm currently trying to decide how to conduct my life for the next few months. I have to make a decision soon on my gym memberships. I'm still wavering on what level of comfort do I truly have in these businesses and other people. Do I trust other people to not go somewhere when they are sick (ha...). Will temperature checks be reliable? I'm just not sure. I started dancing again and that will be virtual until the virus burns itself out, 100%. I don't care if people wear masks. I don't care if everyone has to be spaced out 6 feet. You tend to crash into someone at least once unless you are in a semi pro or pro class and many studios have poor ventilation around here. 

But what about yoga, etc where you stay firmly on your mat? That's a tough one. Not sure what to do. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Happy birthday!!!

Not here but the price of meat has shot up. So I'm guessing less people are buying due to the cost. 

They finally came in and fixed my a/c last night. My thermostat could no longer read the indoor temperature it was that high. I snapped and got a hotel room the other night. It was eerie because normally the hotels are slammed this time of year. No tourists right now. They've resorted to renting out rooms weekly to those who can't get a place to rent to keep afloat. You normally only see that at motels around here. Not hotels. 

I'm currently trying to decide how to conduct my life for the next few months. I have to make a decision soon on my gym memberships. I'm still wavering on what level of comfort do I truly have in these businesses and other people. Do I trust other people to not go somewhere when they are sick (ha...). Will temperature checks be reliable? I'm just not sure. I started dancing again and that will be virtual until the virus burns itself out, 100%. I don't care if people wear masks. I don't care if everyone has to be spaced out 6 feet. You tend to crash into someone at least once unless you are in a semi pro or pro class and many studios have poor ventilation around here. 

But what about yoga, etc where you stay firmly on your mat? That's a tough one. Not sure what to do. 

Honestly, I don't trust gym owners or gym patrons enough to even think about walking into one.  Leaving aside ventilation issues, I don't see gyms staffing enough people to properly sanitize machines and other equipment after each person.  Proper sanitation requires you to spray disinfectant, wait sometimes up to 10 minutes, then wipe with a clean towel.  Even in pre-covid 19 times, people were always so impatient in the gym.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Happy Birthday @ChiCricket.

One of our good neighbors from my neighborhood growing up died Monday of Covid. She was 81, had dementia & lived in a nursing home.  She's going to be buried tomorrow with limit of 10 people attending which will be family.  She was into crafts & pottery back in the day & contributed a lot to our church. Her family put a bunch of pictures on line through the funeral home and they were so nice to look at since there will be no viewing.  Her husband died years ago so it does give us peace knowing she is with him again in Heaven. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Happy birthday @ChiCricket! If anyone deserves to have a glorious day, it’s you. ❤️❤️❤️
I’m with you, @marypat57. I’m not the greatest at keeping plants alive but I miss having a garden. Does anyone know of a grape tomato plant that might thrive in a pot on the patio?

The plant brand “Bonnie” makes grape tomato plants specifically for container gardening. I got some a few years back and was overjoyed at picking them fresh each night that I wanted a salad. I got them at Home Depot in their garden center. Just make sure they are somewhere they can get pollinated by bugs. That’s why I loved that ChiCricket was given the marigolds with her tomato plants. The marigolds thwart unhelpful bugs while attracting the kind the pollinate. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Happy Birthday @ChiCricket.

One of our good neighbors from my neighborhood growing up died Monday of Covid. She was 81, had dementia & lived in a nursing home.  She's going to be buried tomorrow with limit of 10 people attending which will be family.  She was into crafts & pottery back in the day & contributed a lot to our church. Her family put a bunch of pictures on line through the funeral home and they were so nice to look at since there will be no viewing.  Her husband died years ago so it does give us peace knowing she is with him again in Heaven. 

My brother's best friend's father, age 83, died on Saturday after being hospitalized with COVID.  He was living independently at home with his wife and even had a part-time job, so he was in reasonably good health.  Interestingly, his wife, also in her 80's, tested positive but has never gotten sick and it's now been more than 3 weeks.  Such a strange virus.  

I think Wendy's here has run out of burgers a couple of times, but I haven't eaten there in years so I don't know the details.  However, it was always just temporary for a day or so until they could re-supply.  Grocery stores have placed limits on chicken and beef purchases for weeks around here, usually 2 packs of each per shopper, and, often, the sorts of cuts available are limited, but you can find something if you're not too picky about it.  Prices have risen dramatically, though.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Honestly, I don't trust gym owners or gym patrons enough to even think about walking into one.  Leaving aside ventilation issues, I don't see gyms staffing enough people to properly sanitize machines and other equipment after each person.  Proper sanitation requires you to spray disinfectant, wait sometimes up to 10 minutes, then wipe with a clean towel.  Even in pre-covid 19 times, people were always so impatient in the gym.  

The one studio has published their guidelines. 12 people maximum per mat class so mats can be spaced out 6 feet apart in all directions. Other classes are max 4-6 people depending on the nature of the class. Temperature checks before entering. No props that are porous. All mats will be washed with soap and water in a machine (not wiped down) after each class. All other props will be wiped down using hospital grade wipes three times and set aside for 24 hours. At least 20 minutes between classes so the staff can mop the floor. They've renovated the ventilation system as well during the downtime. 

It's such a hard choice when you see that they've put thought and effort into it. I have a personal trainer there and while she's lovely, she belongs to a very anti-medical intervention church. I'm likely going to suspend in person personal training if she comes back but will do it over Zoom. I don't think the studio will be able to afford hiring back most of their staff anyway because class offerings are going to be severely reduced now and they've gone from 20 people per class to 4 people per class in some instances.

I actually wonder if it is sustainable to be frankly honest. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

The one studio has published their guidelines. 12 people maximum per mat class so mats can be spaced out 6 feet apart in all directions. Other classes are max 4-6 people depending on the nature of the class. Temperature checks before entering. No props that are porous. All mats will be washed with soap and water in a machine (not wiped down) after each class. All other props will be wiped down using hospital grade wipes three times and set aside for 24 hours. At least 20 minutes between classes so the staff can mop the floor. They've renovated the ventilation system as well during the downtime. 

It's such a hard choice when you see that they've put thought and effort into it. I have a personal trainer there and while she's lovely, she belongs to a very anti-medical intervention church. I'm likely going to suspend in person personal training if she comes back but will do it over Zoom. I don't think the studio will be able to afford hiring back most of their staff anyway because class offerings are going to be severely reduced now and they've gone from 20 people per class to 4 people per class in some instances.

I actually wonder if it is sustainable to be frankly honest. 

Those actually look like someone did the necessary research.  It does make it more difficult.  For me, it would really depend on the other people in the class.  

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Those actually look like someone did the necessary research.  It does make it more difficult.  For me, it would really depend on the other people in the class.  

That is how I feel about it. Hard to wear a mask in class. All that breath coming out of people. It just feels risky to me. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree. I miss my gym so much and I had already paid for this year's membership. I'm considering it a donation, since it's part of my park district and I want it to stay open. I will think long and carefully before I go there again, though. I live in a state that is abiding quite well by the  original CDC guidelines, so my gym remains closed anyway. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I've decided for the foreseeable future to limit where I'm going.

Gyms and yoga type classes are too big of a risk to me. The sweat and 'breathing styles', combined with the prolonged exposure to other folks feels like a hotspot waiting to happen.  There's just no way to know if other patrons recently went to a bar or a crowded water spot.

I'm sticking to places where I'm in and out somewhat quickly as well as some backyard social distancing visits, with family and some very close friends.

I would like to achieve some normalcy for my brain and sanity and do some 'normal' stuff. I go back and forth over the outdoor dining restaurant option, but I'm not there yet.

Fortunately right now I have the option to choose where I go and who I'm with.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 13
26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Going to have to go to a class and see who shows up. A few people have stated they will only stay with the Zoom classes for the foreseeable future. The Zoom classes are going to be a permanent fixture anyway. 

It really depends on the class too. Morning classes are all retirees in their 60s and 70s.

It's really hard navigating this because your trust is 100% in other people as soon as you step outside of your bubble. I'm starting to think about my movements more in a harm reduction way than an all or nothing scenario. I'm going to be exposed to risk regardless, what kind of risk am I willing to take?

• Love 9

I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers that I requested yesterday.  My friend is no longer suffering.  He passed peacefully this morning. It's painful, but, he had declined and had so many health issues  that he had no quality of life. (We don't think it was covid related.)  He often talked of us going to Key West and so, I am planning to go there, after covid is resolved and taking some of his ashes.  And to say some words and remember the good times.  It's just strange knowing the he's no longer here, but, a part of him will always remain in my heart.  

Personally, as I’m 62 and my husband is 73, I am not going to take any risk that I don’t have to. Yoga I can do at home. I run on my treadmill. We get everything delivered...groceries, etc. 

I so badly need a haircut, but as this would be 45 minutes in a small older building with multiple others in close proximity, I’ll live with looking like a deranged porcupine.

I think it comes down to number of other people, time of exposure, and type of activity. Anything involving lots of deep breathing? Not so much!

• Love 15
(edited)

Yeah it's merely an academic thought exercise at the moment. I'm young, I'm working from home until at least December right now, I live alone in a tiny apartment. I kind of want to enjoy some of my hobbies outside of my living room/kitchen/office before they likely get shut down again. I'm being heavily reminded of living in university residence and people who never left their rooms unless it was to grab a bite to eat or do an exam. Their mental health was horrendous. There has to be a middle ground (and I'm trying desperately to communicate this to my parents who are on both extremes).

We will see. It might not even come to fruition the way things are going. 😬

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I so badly need a haircut, but as this would be 45 minutes in a small older building with multiple others in close proximity, I’ll live with looking like a deranged porcupine.

I finally went to get my hair cut/hi-lighted last week. It was weird. Mask MUST be worn. Door is locked, you have to be let in. You and only you may enter. Hand sanitizer squirted in your hand. Temperature taken (94.5???? I think their thermometer was on the fritz). List of questions to be answered. Got to the chair. When she started applying color, I had to unhook my mask and hold it against my face. Also no tweezing, waxing or blow drying permitted. When all was done, I had to be escorted to the door and door unlocked for me to be let out.

I have been going to this salon for YEARS and consider them friends. I am glad they are following the guidelines and all, but, man, is it weird!

OH! And no coffee!!!!!!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 13

I had my hair done Saturday and I appreciated all the extra measures taken. My stylist braids hair, so she was already appointment only, so there wasn’t much difference. I got there early and listened to my Audible book until she was ready to let me in.  The highlight is no over booking and everything was very efficient.  In and out just the way I like it.  I think it took an hour amd 7 minutes start to finish and my hair looks great.

• Love 8