Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Are the hairdressers taking their own temps and sanitizing everything including their hands? Two hairdressers in Missouri worked sick and exposed nearly 150 folks. No word on if any of those exposed became ill.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Are the hairdressers taking their own temps and sanitizing everything including their hands? Two hairdressers in Missouri worked sick and exposed nearly 150 folks. No word on if any of those exposed became ill.

Did they say if they knew they were sick and still worked, or if they were covid positive and didn't realize it. 

• Love 1

I got my hair cut Tuesday and there were only 4 of us in the salon, they let us in and made us wash hands first, then had to have a mask, everyone was wearing one, and my hairdresser cleaned everything before and my appointment. Of course I always go after 5 pm so I don't know if they have 10 people in there earlier but Im sure they do.

One of the hairdressers was whining loudly that our County Exec who made the decision to lock down was an idiot and how all her clients went to WV or PA to have their hair done. I rolled my eyes and loudly said yea people are dying from this virus, she ignored me.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just remembered something that happened to me yesterday.  When returning from the sheriff's department, where I had a safe encounter, I was walking down the sidewalk to my car when a man wearing a t-shirt that said EMS walked out the door of a building and coughed very loudly near me.  He didn't have a masks on! And, he didn't cover his mouth at all. He wasn't right in my path, but, it didn't make me feel too good after seeing how far covid can travel in a strong cough or sneeze.  I turned around and noticed that he had EMS on his shirt, like he worked as one.  It was really disappointing that someone in the health care field would do something so careless.  I hope he wasn't positive.  This is another thing that really gets to me.  When I do go out, I hear all these coughs from people in the public.  If you're coughing, you shouldn't go out at all, let alone without a mask.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
(edited)

I got my hair done last week (I've got extensions so I couldn't go much longer) and it was similar to what everyone above mentioned. My salon is pretty much open 7 days a week now, both to try and catch up and because they are only allowing about 25% capacity for now. I was there on a Monday and there were only 4 stylists there and they have you wait in your car till called, take your temperature, make you fill out a questionnaire, give you hand sanitizer, and everyone wears a mask then entire time. My stylist said she is booking fewer appointments each day so she has time to sanitize her chair, equipment, area, and herself in between each. It was weird but I felt safe. 

If you're coughing, you shouldn't go out at all, let alone without a mask.  

Well, some of us have year round allergies so we cough and sneeze all the time. I wear a mask, but I can't help the coughing sometimes. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just remembered something that happened to me yesterday.  When returning from the sheriff's department, where I had a safe encounter, I was walking down the sidewalk to my car when a man wearing a t-shirt that said EMS walked out the door of a building and coughed very loudly near me.  He didn't have a masks on!  He wasn't right in my path, but, it didn't make me feel too good after seeing how far covid can travel in a strong cough or sneeze.  I turned around and noticed that he had EMS on his shirt, like he worked as one.  It was really disappointing that someone in the health care field would do something so careless.  I hope he wasn't positive.  This is another thing that really gets to me.  When I do go out, I hear all these coughs from people in the public.  If you're coughing, you shouldn't go out at all, let alone without a mask.  

Just because you cough does not mean your ill. I have chronic allergies and cough a lot. I cover my mouth ( now I wear a mask if I am near people) but I cannot stay isolated because I have to work.

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Love 10
45 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In theory they are supposed to be. In practice... Your guess is as good as mine.

Hair stylists were a part of the gig economy before the gig economy was a buzzword. I wouldn't be surprised if they are dragging themselves to work sick. Some of the hair stylists I've been to over the years were barely making ends meet after having to pay rent for their chair, etc. The new restrictions are likely a massive dent in their income. My go to stylist always schedules based around what customers want done. Example. If someone is getting foils, he uses the processing time to cut and style someone else's hair. He has it down to a fine art. That's a no no right now. I'm wondering how much longer until he starts doing something else.

• Love 4
(edited)

I also have allergies and have no control over the coughing it causes me. Not going out is simply not an option because it is a year round issue for me.

Pollen where I am is awful and lots of folks have allergies,so everybody's been paranoid since March since COVID-19 hit just as allergy season flared up.

I've heard the hair stylist in Missouri thought she had allergies and that's why she continued going to work while she was symptomatic. Not sure if that was true, but it wouldn't surprise me. It happened in Springfield, and their pollen situation is similar to ours. In fact, I check the Springfield pollen count regularly because it seems more accurate for us than the Tulsa one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I got my hair done last week (I've got extensions so I couldn't go much longer) and it was similar to what everyone above mentioned. My salon is pretty much open 7 days a week now, both to try and catch up and because they are only allowing about 25% capacity for now. I was there on a Monday and there were only 4 stylists there and they have you wait in your car till called, take your temperature, make you fill out a questionnaire, give you hand sanitizer, and everyone wears a mask then entire time. My stylist said she is booking fewer appointments each day so she has time to sanitize her chair, equipment, area, and herself in between each. It was weird but I felt safe. 

Well, some of us have year round allergies so we cough and sneeze all the time. I wear a mask, but I can't help the coughing sometimes. 

Yes, about the allergies!  I am very careful, wear a mask, avoid getting close to people but sometimes the sunshine or something will make me sneeze a few times.  I hate when that happens!!

• Love 11

I'm glad that I'm pretty low-maintenance these days...I stopped coloring my hair about 3 years ago (and always did DIY color anyway), so it's all grown out to whatever salt-and-pepper color it feels like being now. I did actually get it cut in January, but it was a Deva cut, and she said it would be good for a good 6 months before it needed to be touched up. My hair is a little below my shoulders now, so pretty easy to take care of. Plus, I had not had it professionally cut in at least a couple of years before this past cut, and since the curl makes it pretty forgiving, DIY trims are easy enough. 

I don't get manicures, and especially at this time of year when I'm doing a lot of gardening (and hate, hate, hate wearing gloves), my nails are a lost cause in any case. It's all I can do to keep them reasonably clean. Ditto for pedicures - never had one, never intend to.

Mr Jyn is really feeling not being able to get a haircut, though...He's always kept his Navy regulation haircut since he retired, and his hair was NEVER below his collar in his life until now. Other than the top having thinned to almost nothing over the years, he actually has worn his hair in exactly the same style (minus the weeks it was shorn  off for boot camp) since childhood, and I have the pictures to prove it. It's slightly below his collar now, and beginning to show a bit of wave, which I had no idea he had LOL

He won't let me touch it, though...As much as he hates it, I suppose he figures that I might make it even worse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Both stylists had symptoms while they worked. I believe one worked for around two weeks and one worked about a week. One had visited some stores like CVS, as well. I don't know when, how or why they found out they were positive for covid. 

I too have year round allergies, as well on odd anxiety symptom - coughing. I'm thinking of making a small sign with the word allergies, to show if I get a 'look'. lol 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Both stylists had symptoms while they worked. I believe one worked for around two weeks and one worked about a week. One had visited some stores like CVS, as well. I don't know when, how or why they found out they were positive for covid. 

I too have year round allergies, as well on odd anxiety symptom - coughing. I'm thinking of making a small sign with the word allergies, to show if I get a 'look'. lol 

Yes, I sometimes wonder how much it would cost to have it tattooed on my forehead. Just kidding,I live outside of Houston so most people have allergies. When we cough we just smile at each other with our eyes.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

My office is starting to reopen.I return next week - work 3 days in the office and 2 days at home.  I agree with everyone above mentioning allergies.  I have allergies: I cough, I sneeze, I wheeze, I feel bad, but it's all my allergies.  My employer said if you don't feel good, don't come into work.  I know the difference in I'm sick versus my allergies are acting up. If I didn't work when they are acting up, I would miss half a year.  I just dread if any of my coworkers hearing me sneezing or coughing (also a problem after drinking or eating).  

I talked to a coworker last night and she has been acting like this is just an inconvenience. When I told her about how careful I'm trying to be, she made a comment along the lines of "you've been real careful" in her sarcastic voice.  Yeah, because I'm still worried, I have put my life on hold.  I'm jealous of those who are going about like nothing has changed.   

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

My office is starting to reopen.I return next week - work 3 days in the office and 2 days at home.  I agree with everyone above mentioning allergies.  I have allergies: I cough, I sneeze, I wheeze, I feel bad, but it's all my allergies.  My employer said if you don't feel good, don't come into work.  I know the difference in I'm sick versus my allergies are acting up. If I didn't work when they are acting up, I would miss half a year.  I just dread if any of my coworkers hearing me sneezing or coughing (also a problem after drinking or eating).  

I talked to a coworker last night and she has been acting like this is just an inconvenience. When I told her about how careful I'm trying to be, she made a comment along the lines of "you've been real careful" in her sarcastic voice.  Yeah, because I'm still worried, I have put my life on hold.  I'm jealous of those who are going about like nothing has changed.   

Your last two sentences say everything we are thinking.  Along with being puzzled how people our age, 77 and 67, shout to the world how they never get sick and can host family members from out of state for multiple extended family weekends!  

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Your last two sentences say everything we are thinking.  Along with being puzzled how people our age, 77 and 67, shout to the world how they never get sick and can host family members from out of state for multiple extended family weekends!  

I am baffled at my nephews' 80-something step grandfather hosting the boys this weekend. The boys are flying in from AZ. This just has stupid written all over it.

• Love 3

We could get T-shirts! Mine would say: “Allergies. Asthma. Pay no attention to the cough. Really.” I’m only half kidding.

The thing I keep reading about that scares me is that many patients have come to the hospital with oxygen saturations so low they should be unconscious but they’re sitting up, conversing and swiping through their phones. Me allergies haven been so nasty this year (Curse you, mild winter) that I broke down and bought an inexpensive pulse ox meter. It reassures me when I’m having a bad coughing day that nothing more serious is going on. 

• Love 14

@ChiCricket, glad you had a happy birthday! 🎂🎉🎈

I’m another who is debating what to do about people going back to the gym. It is my happy place,  and I am good friends with other retirees who attend in the mornings with me. But after seeing how the virus travels due to airflow, and knowing the air conditioning and fans will be on constantly, I don’t see how it can be safe. If we aren’t required to wear masks, it will be a hard no for me, but otherwise I have a big decision to make. Exercising at home just isn’t the same. 

• Love 4

The Boston Marathon has been cancelled. It was postponed from April to September, but now cancelled. It makes sense, not only does it draw huge crowds, it also encourages both domestic and international travel. The Boston area of MA was hit hard and I'm sure that helped influence their decision.

In contrast, some FL theme parks are talking about opening up later this summer. Those too, draw large crowds and encourage travel.

I agree that everyone should be allowed to make their own decisions. I understand that many decisions folks make are due to their unique situations. It's the folks who are behaving carelessly and recklessly that make it harder and more risky for everyone else. 

About ten years ago my life was upended due to a natural disaster. For close to 18 months my life was inconvenienced in a plethora of ways, some major and some minor. I'm trying to adopt the same mindset I had then with this current health crisis, the biggest being, I know this is temporary. 

I'm guessing by next summer, at the very least, we will have some clear facts about this virus and navigating our lives will be easier. I really hope that by then, our new normal will look very much like our old normal, and we'll be sharing 'remember when' stories. Because what we're dealing with now is temporary. 

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Wish me luck. Today is my birthday and I am at the very old age of 37. I have to meet the housing inspector so he can sign off and give me the C/O so we can finally move into our house after almost 1 year living between hotels and rental homes. 

Happy Birthday old lady and congrats on the new home!

• Love 8

I had a virtual appointment with my therapist- she says I’m too hard on myself and I’m doing great running at 75% right now and to keep it up. 

I attended a birthday Zoom call which was great for my spirit to see so many people I cared about but made me sad we were so far a part. 

At least it’s Friday y’all!!

• Love 19
21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I had a virtual appointment with my therapist- she says I’m too hard on myself and I’m doing great running at 75% right now and to keep it up. 

I attended a birthday Zoom call which was great for my spirit to see so many people I cared about but made me sad we were so far a part. 

At least it’s Friday y’all!!

Well that's encouraging from the therapist.

I don't like zoom.  We did it with the grands and it made me sad and miss them even more.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Wish me luck. Today is my birthday and I am at the very old age of 37. I have to meet the housing inspector so he can sign off and give me the C/O so we can finally move into our house after almost 1 year living between hotels and rental homes. 

Happy birthday!!!

• Love 6

Happy Birthday @Rabbittron! And best of luck on the new home!

I'm so glad I quit coloring my hair several years ago. It's longish, so I can wing it, especially since I don't see anyone really. My local ladies group wants to get together for coffee outdoors today. I'm debating. My state is on track for that sort of thing starting today. But I'm nervous. Can't drink coffee while wearing a mask. I may just walk by and say a quick hello. I keep hearing about viral loads and long conversations. These decisions are hard to make. 

• Love 10

Happy Birthday @Rabbittron!!!

I have the week of June 8th, my college roommate was scheduled to come from Guatemala (I haven’t seen her since her wedding in 2014), but obviously that isn’t going to happen. So my Mom and I are getting mani/pedis on June 8th. Our salon is small and independently owned, it should be fun. Lord knows I need it! I did paint my toenails and they are okay but I’m particular. Let’s see when I can get my hair colored. 

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I don't like zoom.  We did it with the grands and it made me sad and miss them even more.

I’m taking my cello lessons on Zoom and I hate it.   There is no substitute for in person instruction and I miss my instructor and the good acoustics at the music school.

Although I guess in hindsight we should be thankful this pandemic didn’t happen 15 or 20 years ago. Imagine what our work and family situations would be like without the option for Zoom. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

We could get T-shirts! Mine would say: “Allergies. Asthma. Pay no attention to the cough. Really.” I’m only half kidding.

Mine would be "Thyroid Cancer Survivor. I don't have a sore throat. I am fine".
I'm beginning to think my coworkers and some other people around me never listened to me, because my cancer was two years ago. Pre-surgery I had what I refer to as my "barfly voice", post-surgery I am frequently hoarse. Now people are panicking, asking me if I have a sore throat, do I feel bad? When I say no, they want to know why I'm hoarse then. The same reason I have been for TWO YEARS NOW.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m taking my cello lessons on Zoom and I hate it.   There is no substitute for in person instruction and I miss my instructor and the good acoustics at the music school.

Although I guess in hindsight we should be thankful this pandemic didn’t happen 15 or 20 years ago. Imagine what our work and family situations would be like without the option for Zoom. 

I like zoom but I’m not trying to take lessons on it. 

This entire thing reminds me of a combo of post Katrina NOLA, and my early adolescence so I’m like “yeah I’ve been here before.”

• Love 4

Happy Birthday @Rabbittron

I think that finally getting into a new house would be the best present possible. Some stability during these uncertain times and the fun you will have decorating it. Wishing you all the best today and everyday. 

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I was thinking about that. 20yrs ago My grandfather would’ve been alive so we would’ve had to care for him, but my Mom’s work situation wouldn’t be different and I would be doing homework and either mailing it in or email, and talking on the phone with my friends (exactly like I’m doing now- just without video). Again this is like early adolescence! Lmao!!!

I am grateful for the updated tech though. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I finally went to get my hair cut/hi-lighted last week. It was weird. Mask MUST be worn. Door is locked, you have to be let in. You and only you may enter. Hand sanitizer squirted in your hand. Temperature taken (94.5???? I think their thermometer was on the fritz). List of questions to be answered. Got to the chair. When she started applying color, I had to unhook my mask and hold it against my face. Also no tweezing, waxing or blow drying permitted. When all was done, I had to be escorted to the door and door unlocked for me to be let out.

I have been going to this salon for YEARS and consider them friends. I am glad they are following the guidelines and all, but, man, is it weird!

OH! And no coffee!!!!!!

I had mine cut and colored the other night.  They luckily have a nice deck with chairs outside the salon and clients wait there for the stylist to come and get them.  Only two stylists working at any given time, salon has room for up to 8.  My stylist was on the other side of the room, at least 20 feet away from the other stylist working.  Everyone has to wear masks, I wore a paper one so I could toss it afterwards, kept it on for color, shampoo, the works.  My stylist asked me to remove it for a second at the end as she was trimming near my face, but not for more than 10 seconds.  No coffee or water there, but I brought my own drink with a straw and sipped under the mask while waiting for the color to set.  No restrictions on blow drying.  I wasn't there for tweezing or waxing, but they do that stuff in another room in the salon anyway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Happy birthday!

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Happy Birthday @Rabbittron! And best of luck on the new home!

I'm so glad I quit coloring my hair several years ago. It's longish, so I can wing it, especially since I don't see anyone really. My local ladies group wants to get together for coffee outdoors today. I'm debating. My state is on track for that sort of thing starting today. But I'm nervous. Can't drink coffee while wearing a mask. I may just walk by and say a quick hello. I keep hearing about viral loads and long conversations. These decisions are hard to make. 

I know what you mean.  I have a friend who I haven't seen since last summer!  We are planning to go to this great Greek place that has to go orders and take our food to our individual cars parked near each other, but, not too close and either chat with the window cracked a little OR on our phones (speaker phone.) lol   It's worth a try.  She's been staying at home almost exclusively, so, I do feel comfortable around her, but, she does see her personal trainer twice a week.  That's the one thing she kept doing.  Most of my contact with anyone out of the house has been for under 10 minutes and wearing a mask, but,  I'm not sure if that helps.  I hope so.  I realize the mask really helps others not me, but, I hope it affords some protection. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Most of my contact with anyone out of the house has been for under 10 minutes and wearing a mask, but,  I'm not sure if that helps.  I hope so.  I realize the mask really helps others not me, but, I hope it affords some protection. 

Supposedly everyone wearing masks cuts transmission 75 to 80% depending on who you read.  I love this graphic for explaining it.

2105238742_Maskvsnomask.thumb.jpg.41413d6b37e7c903682581049f4f3bee.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Supposedly everyone wearing masks cuts transmission 75 to 80% depending on who you read.  I love this graphic for explaining it.

2105238742_Maskvsnomask.thumb.jpg.41413d6b37e7c903682581049f4f3bee.jpg

I like that chart. Can you post the link for it? I'd love to share that with some of my friends who also wear masks.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like that chart. Can you post the link for it? I'd love to share that with some of my friends who also wear masks.

I'm sorry I wish I could.  I saved the graphic to my laptop.  If I run across the article again today I'll get the link.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I had mine cut and colored the other night.  They luckily have a nice deck with chairs outside the salon and clients wait there for the stylist to come and get them.  Only two stylists working at any given time, salon has room for up to 8.  My stylist was on the other side of the room, at least 20 feet away from the other stylist working.  Everyone has to wear masks, I wore a paper one so I could toss it afterwards, kept it on for color, shampoo, the works.  My stylist asked me to remove it for a second at the end as she was trimming near my face, but not for more than 10 seconds.  No coffee or water there, but I brought my own drink with a straw and sipped under the mask while waiting for the color to set.  No restrictions on blow drying.  I wasn't there for tweezing or waxing, but they do that stuff in another room in the salon anyway.

They said they could not do waxing or tweezing at all ~ they were not even allowed to trim men's beards or mustaches!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

That sounds like an awesome way to spend your birthday!  I hope everything goes well and you have a wonderful birthday!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Happy Birthday @Rabbittron and happy house getting!!Happy Birthday Party GIF by Hallmark eCards

• Love 7
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I miss my grands SO much.

I have found it too chaotic to try and talk to a big group of my grands by zoom, messenger, or hangout (the ones they are all allowed to use..the parents monitor them.)

So I have been calling each of them one  at a time...I talk to them a bit, and it seems so much better for me and them.

They know I'll always keep it very short (because I told them this all upfront when I started these calls. )

So far, they're always willing to answer my calls. Then I say " OK, I just wanted to say hello and "see" you...so I'll say goodbye now..unless you have something you want to talk about..."

I'm really happy about how much most of them do want to talk longer.💖

Sometimes after we talk a bit, I'll say, "is/are there any cousin(s) you want me to invite to this chat?" (they usually do!)

For some reason, they don't initate the chats themselves, but love it when I do.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I miss my grands SO much.

I have found it too chaotic to try and talk to a big group of my grands by zoom, messenger, or hangout (the ones they are all allowed to use..the parents monitor them.)

So I have been calling each of them one  at a time...I talk to them a bit, and it seems so much better for me and them.

They know I'll always keep it very short (because I told them this all upfront when I started these calls. )

So far, they're always willing to answer my calls. Then I say " OK, I just wanted to say hello and "see" you...so I'll say goodbye now..unless you have something you want to talk about..."

I'm really happy about how much most of them do want to talk longer.💖

Sometimes after we talk a bit, I'll say, "is/are there any cousin(s) you want me to invite to this chat?" (they usually do!)

For some reason, they don't initate the chats themselves, but love it when I do.

Had Lovely conversation with granddaughter yesterday. It was her 17th birthday. We commiserated that this was the longest we’ve gone without seeing each other. We are 3000 miles apart. Had a text from her older brother. The youngest one does text a lot. He does t have a phone yet so if we want to talk he does FaceTime on iPad. and puts it down so we see the top of his head!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

OMG, that's great news. I hope it works out.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  Thirty-seven's a great age. I was 37 for about 5 years once. lol 🎂🌻

• LOL 12
  • Love 1