Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Earthquake was 5.5 centered just outside of Ridgecrest, CA, a town on the CA/NV border. Didn't check how far from Vegas it is, and the article I read mentioned other places. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Did you know Chicago has the second highest population of Polish persons in a city? Warsaw is the highest😁. Whenever anyone in Europe hears I’m from Chicago they say “there are a lot of Polish people there!” (This is true!!)

The Polish and Black communities have an “interesting” history together in my city to put it mildly. 

Have you ever been to Poland? I do hear it’s beautiful there. A very nice topography. 

I have some relatives in Chicago, and do know that it has a high Polish population. I'm in Connecticut, and New Britain, a little west of Hartford, has long been known as "New Britski". We didn't live there, but were only about a dozen miles away when I was growing up.

I have been to Poland a number of times, though not for over 40 years now. When I was young, and my grandparents were still alive, we used to go every few years. It really is a lovely country.

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

How strong was it? Hope it’s not too severe. 

I was out on my patio. The chair I was in started wobbling and the pool water sloshed around for roughly ten seconds. Nothing crazy, and I didn't read reports of any damage in Vegas. Not sure about California, though.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I was out on my patio. The chair I was in started wobbling and the pool water sloshed around for roughly ten seconds. Nothing crazy, and I didn't read reports of any damage in Vegas. Not sure about California, though.

I saw footage from the Ridgecrest city council meeting. The screen behind the main dais shook quite a bit but didn't fall. The camera was too far away to catch the reactions of the council members.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg....don’t know where to post this, but what a surprise...just landed on PBS by chance and on comes a Linda Ronstadt concert!!! Looks 80s.  What a treat. 

I happened to come across a BeeGees concert on PBS last week, circa 1989.  It was great & brought back so many memories of my high school years.  Hope you enjoyed Linda as much as I did them. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Anyone ever tried fragrance TOVA Signature right now on QVC?

OMG I used to watch Tova herself sell that way back in the 80s/90s. Is she on air?  I think she is very old. She used to talk about the pheromones. 

• Love 1
On 6/1/2020 at 7:11 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

All of you who live in the.. problem..?( I am not sure what to call them) areas please check in. We do care and worry about you.

I watched the Seattle rioters and looters on TV all afternoon and evening last Saturday.  The day's huge protest was very peaceful until it wasn't.  At least three police cars and vans were totally burned.  Nordstrom, Channel and lots of other stores looted.

Seattle is a 30 -40 minutes drive from my city.  Last night was the sixth day of protests and it's been under curfew since Saturday, which wasn't enforced, except no one could drive into the downtown core.

My city had no problems, but the Target, of which I live literally behind, has closed at two every afternoon. But the two neighboring towns just North and South, had looting and are on curfews.

I hate what happened to George Floyd, an all the other violences against POC, but I am staying home.

• Love 1

There is a BLM protest scheduled for this Saturday in my little town. I was planning on joining, but I just read that there is going to be a Blue Lives Matter protest at the same time. There is no way I'm going. I live in Idaho and I'm pretty sure the majority of the Blue protesters are going to be carrying weapons. They've been itching for a chance to prove their alliances and racism, I don't want to be around when they get it.

Ok, this is my place to vent thanks to you wonderful people, so feel free to ignore me. I think I've told you about losing custody of my great-niece to her mother after my attorney folded like a cheap suit (very old expression), in court. She called me a few days ago from a neighbor's house when her mother took a nap and said they are moving very soon. Her mother won't say where, just that it is far away.

The therapist I took her to therapy  before our hearing has filed a new report as a mandated reporter and DCFS has opened a new case. She came here from California where the child would have been taken from the mother a long time ago. I know we have to have safeguards in place to keep parents from losing custody over unimportant things or by people having a grudge, but this is very serious abuse. The DCFS case worker called the therapist and said she would be going out to see the child again and was told she would not tell them anything because she was scared of her mother. She was told the child would be seen apart from her mother but unless she takes her away immediately, which won't happen, the result is the same. If you know your mother will beat you if you detail abuse and that you will be left with her, are you going to open your mouth? In this case, the person interviewing the child should be a therapist or some sort of mental health professional, not a social worker. I know they are wonderful for wanting to go into this type of work, but dealing with a terrified child who already has mental issues, is not their specialty. The therapist said she would call them today and bring up that issue. The therapist  emphasized her fears that the child will either attempt suicide again or the mother will do some harm to the child that she will not come back from.

I also made another report to the child abuse hotline after my great-niece told me something after her therapy session that I consider to be sexual abuse. I assumed she told the therapist but apparently she forgot to bring it up. My sister, who also lied in court,  was there for a few days and came home and told her son there was a fight with the mother and was told she would never see the child again. Now she is back out there because she says the mother is "mad". Now mad for her is volcanic and scary, so I don't know what is happening out there. I've talked to the sheriff and they know what the mother is like but they can't sit out there all day.

Every new attorney I've talked to has said I need new evidence to even try for emergency custody again and they doubt that this report will work since she saw the therapist the day before the hearing. She saw her at five o'clock and the hearing was the next day at nine in the morning. I mentioned the visit in court and said the therapist would be happy to give a report to the court. They were simply not interested. I think the judge simply does not want to take custody from parents. All I can do is sit and wait and hope this report and the pushing by the therapist will accomplish something before it is too late. 

Thanks for reading and being such a warm and supportive community. Being behind a keyboard makes it easier to put this all out there. Much love, Janet

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Nysha said:

There is a BLM protest scheduled for this Saturday in my little town. I was planning on joining, but I just read that there is going to be a Blue Lives Matter protest at the same time. There is no way I'm going. I live in Idaho and I'm pretty sure the majority of the Blue protesters are going to be carrying weapons. They've been itching for a chance to prove their alliances and racism, I don't want to be around when they get it.

Your safety is number 1. If you don’t feel safe please stay inside with the doors closed and locked. 

My side of Chicago is looking pretty calm still. I really want to visit my elderly Aunt with dementia and my cousin but they live on the opposite side of the city, I don’t feel comfortable crossing the city right now, anything can happen. 

@jjane I cannot imagine how you are feeling and your poor niece. BUT I know that knowing you’re fighting for her will mean something in the end. You are doing the best you can. 

• Love 11

Thank you @Scarlett45. I am doing the best I can but it isn't working so I feel guilty and frustrated. I promised to get her out of the situation and we managed a whole month of normalcy for her but now she is back in the same situation. I wish the people dealing with the situation understood that having mental issues from the abuse and PTSD keep you from being able to articulate what is happening to you because you are so scared.

17 hours ago, zoomama said:

on another topic TOTALLY, i just got back from the pharmacy. my doctor ordered a new med to treat my asthma. i take several daily rx's already and still struggle to breath (not wheezing so much - just cant breath). so this one is a monthly shot. i went to check my share of cost.........$4700 monthly after insurance! yeah - thats not happening!!!! 

Look for the name of the drug's manufacturer.  Then, google them.  There will either be information online or an 800 number to call for 'patient assistance'.  Any drug company that receives government funds (and all of them do) is required to provide medication for free to patients who cannot afford their meds.  Most of them call it The Patient Assistance Program.  However, you need to apply, it is not automatic.  If you qualify, your medication will be sent to your doctor where you can pick it up.  I have multiple patients who get their meds this way.

If nothing else, there may well be discount coupons or even co-pay waiver forms available on the website.  They may only cover a few months, but, probably long enough to find out that the medication works.

I hope no one ever decides not to take a med due to cost without doing a little research first.  And pray that the US joins the rest of the developed world in treating healthcare as a right instead of a privilege.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
(edited)
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Anyone ever tried fragrance TOVA Signature right now on QVC?

Did you buy this fragrance @SunnyBeBe ? It's so hard trying to purchase anything scented on-line/from TV.  Even though they do their best in trying to describe the scent, it's still hard. Sometimes I don't have a clue what  plant or flower they are describing.  I am into the Beekman 1802 products & I ended up emailing the company for fragrance samples so I could decide on a scent.  They sent me a nice sampler with all their scents.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Did you buy this fragrance @SunnyBeBe ? It's so hard trying to purchase anything scented on-line/from TV.  Even though they do their best in trying to describe the scent, it's still hard. Sometimes I don't have a clue what  plant or flower they are describing.  I am into the Beekman 1802 products & I ended up emailing the company for fragrance samples so I could decide on a scent.  They sent me a nice sampler with all their scents.  

I use the Beekman 1802 face cream and their bar soap. Fantastic products.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did not know this! Sweet!

Northeast WI,  centered in the Green Bay area, has the most number of immigrants from Belgium.  Mostly Walloon, with a few Flemish.  What a thrill to use Walloon in a sentence!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, jjane said:

Ok, this is my place to vent thanks to you wonderful people, so feel free to ignore me. I think I've told you about losing custody of my great-niece to her mother after my attorney folded like a cheap suit (very old expression), in court. She called me a few days ago from a neighbor's house when her mother took a nap and said they are moving very soon. Her mother won't say where, just that it is far away.

The therapist I took her to therapy  before our hearing has filed a new report as a mandated reporter and DCFS has opened a new case. She came here from California where the child would have been taken from the mother a long time ago. I know we have to have safeguards in place to keep parents from losing custody over unimportant things or by people having a grudge, but this is very serious abuse. The DCFS case worker called the therapist and said she would be going out to see the child again and was told she would not tell them anything because she was scared of her mother. She was told the child would be seen apart from her mother but unless she takes her away immediately, which won't happen, the result is the same. If you know your mother will beat you if you detail abuse and that you will be left with her, are you going to open your mouth? In this case, the person interviewing the child should be a therapist or some sort of mental health professional, not a social worker. I know they are wonderful for wanting to go into this type of work, but dealing with a terrified child who already has mental issues, is not their specialty. The therapist said she would call them today and bring up that issue. The therapist  emphasized her fears that the child will either attempt suicide again or the mother will do some harm to the child that she will not come back from.

I also made another report to the child abuse hotline after my great-niece told me something after her therapy session that I consider to be sexual abuse. I assumed she told the therapist but apparently she forgot to bring it up. My sister, who also lied in court,  was there for a few days and came home and told her son there was a fight with the mother and was told she would never see the child again. Now she is back out there because she says the mother is "mad". Now mad for her is volcanic and scary, so I don't know what is happening out there. I've talked to the sheriff and they know what the mother is like but they can't sit out there all day.

Every new attorney I've talked to has said I need new evidence to even try for emergency custody again and they doubt that this report will work since she saw the therapist the day before the hearing. She saw her at five o'clock and the hearing was the next day at nine in the morning. I mentioned the visit in court and said the therapist would be happy to give a report to the court. They were simply not interested. I think the judge simply does not want to take custody from parents. All I can do is sit and wait and hope this report and the pushing by the therapist will accomplish something before it is too late. 

Thanks for reading and being such a warm and supportive community. Being behind a keyboard makes it easier to put this all out there. Much love, Janet

I am very sorry to hear this, @jjane.  It is a really bad situation.  I hope you meant "case worker" and not "social worker" because I am a social worker, and while I do not do child protective services cases, never did, I have friends in the field who are very well qualified and are considered Licensed Mental Health Professionals.  There are also child advocacy centers where very well trained folks talk to the child in a neutral setting.  Is there any possibility of a CASA?  Some social workers, case workers, therapists, etc. are better than others, and I really hope you can get what is right for your great-niece.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I didn't take the plunge.....yet, because, this is expensive imo and I wasn't 100% sold.   TOVA was on air on QVC from her home last night and it was a little sad.  Something was not right with one eye.....IDK, but, she talked okay and hawked the items.  I read a bunch of reviews and most hearken to the old days (1980s) where the original was AWESOME. I must have been under a rock back then.   Some say the new formula is not the same and not to waste your money.  So, IDK......I'll have to think about it.  The sample size seems to have a pump that doesn't work.  I read that in multiple places......so, I'm going to think about it.  I'm real funny about my fragrances and can hardly use any of them, due to sensitivity.  I'm not sure why this one got my attention.  

• Love 2
On 6/3/2020 at 3:03 PM, galaxychaser said:

You know who John Mulaney is. I Stan him so much. He can’t fight 🤣.  I would not be friends with your ex. I agree he wants to keep using you for his purpose. Best to cut him out of your life.

It's from one of his stand up specials.

155ee643b9966b79212f43868d4b335d.jpg

Thank you everyone. I'm healing right now. He's gotten the block on everything. I might take a break from the Duggars for a bit. Feeling a bit resentful they can have yet another prop.

@Oldernowiser, god. When my parents got married it was a huge deal! Yes they were white but from two different religions and two countries that traditionally do not get along. Most of my Arab classmates during grad school had parents who were from two different regions that were warring with each other, fell in love, and eloped. Now we don't think of it as all that strange. We've come a very very long way in my short lifetime. 

I remember being told as a wee tot that by the time I was an adult that racism would be a non-issue. All these people were marrying outside of their race. Society was becoming more open. We needed to love each other for who we were, not for the color of our skin. 

Yeah. Things that didn't happen for $2000, Alex. We haven't come that far. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's from one of his stand up specials.

155ee643b9966b79212f43868d4b335d.jpg

Thank you everyone. I'm healing right now. He's gotten the block on everything. I might take a break from the Duggars for a bit. Feeling a bit resentful they can have yet another prop.

@Oldernowiser, god. When my parents got married it was a huge deal! Yes they were white but from two different religions and two countries that traditionally do not get along. Most of my Arab classmates during grad school had parents who were from two different regions that were warring with each other, fell in love, and eloped. Now we don't think of it as all that strange. We've come a very very long way in my short lifetime. 

I remember being told as a wee tot that by the time I was an adult that racism would be a non-issue. All these people were marrying outside of their race. Society was becoming more open. We needed to love each other for who we were, not for the color of our skin. 

Yeah. Things that didn't happen for $2000, Alex. We haven't come that far. 

I assume you are not from USA. I know I watched all the John Mulaney specials. Stay well and post when you feel up to it.

• Love 2

@PikaScrewChu, I'm so sorry about how things with that relationship ended. I think blocking him was a good move after he pulled the "can we still be friends" card. 

Bringing over from another thread:

@galaxychaser I think Cruise is probably on the shorter end of 5'7." I wouldn't be surprised if he wore lifts, though. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I might take a break from the Duggars for a bit. Feeling a bit resentful they can have yet another prop.

Yeah, but Jinger has to coparent with Reverend Pretentious Twatwaffle.

You can do sooooo much better!

Group hug!

• Love 6
(edited)

Height is not a deal breaker for me. Being crazy like Tom is. And his idol David is evil and crazy. Actually Tom is also evil for taking the kids away from Nicole. No wonder they are bosom buddies.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 9

As generally bonkers as the book Going Clear was, Tom Cruise stood out as . . . really out there. I mean, not quite L. Ron Hubbard levels of crazy because that's just about the craziest motherfucker I've ever read about, but definitely out there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Height is not a deal breaker for me. Being crazy like Tom is. And his idol David is evil and crazy. Actually Tom is also evil for taking the kids away from Nicole. No wonder they are bosom buddies.

Well, as long as we’re gossiping (yay!) I once had a billionaire boss who rented a villa at a Hawaiian resort next to one where Tom and Nicole were staying. Apparently they fought loudly and bitterly and pretty much constantly, and this would have been several years before the divorce.

• Useful 8
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I am very sorry to hear this, @jjane.  It is a really bad situation.  I hope you meant "case worker" and not "social worker" because I am a social worker, and while I do not do child protective services cases, never did, I have friends in the field who are very well qualified and are considered Licensed Mental Health Professionals.  There are also child advocacy centers where very well trained folks talk to the child in a neutral setting.  Is there any possibility of a CASA?  Some social workers, case workers, therapists, etc. are better than others, and I really hope you can get what is right for your great-niece.  

Thank you for clarifying. Many social workers have masters degrees and certainly are trained and licensed therapists.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, as long as we’re gossiping (yay!) I once had a billionaire boss who rented a villa at a Hawaiian resort next to one where Tom and Nicole were staying. Apparently they fought loudly and bitterly and pretty much constantly, and this would have been several years before the divorce.

Wonder if Tom jumped up and down on the couch in anger.

• LOL 10

Height is definitely not a deal-breaker for me...Among all the guys I've ever met, there have been a surprising number who made being under 5'4" really, really work for them. Maybe in some cases it's a bit of overcompensation, I don't know, but they really stood out in a crowd, and not in any sort of bad way. 

Mr. Jyn claims to be about 5'9", but I'm 5'3", and feel as though when I wear three inch heels I'm not more than a couple of inches taller than he is, tops. And since his height is all in his legs, and he has a really short torso, I am definitely taller than he is sitting down.

The one guy in my past whom I was really head-over-heels about was probably 5'7" on a good day..

I get a kick out of what people consider deal-breakers, though...My mom tells me that her one non-negotiable in a prospective husband was always that he was a good dancer. Given that I inherited my dad's anti-talent for dancing, I guess that went by the wayside. 

I was always bound and determined that I would only marry a guy who loved to sing. We have a standing joke that I had always pictured my prospective husband to be a red-bearded Irishman who was an English professor who loved to sing folk songs around the fire at night. I have never heard a note of music pass Mr. Jyn's lips, and, in fact, he gets very resentful if anyone even brings up the subject. Besides which he refuses to grow a beard, which would not be red in any case, and has degrees in math and history, which were always my most hated subjects at school.

My daughter's non-negotiable was height...she was flexible on a lot of personality details, but never could imagine being really attracted to a guy who was not tall. She is 5'5", and her husband is 5'8"

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
47 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Exactly 50 years ago today, I graduated from high school.  OMG!  What a life since then and I wouldn't change a single moment.  Every up and down made me whom I am today.  Warts and all.  😁😁😁

Congratulations! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I still stress over my diabetic supplies and insulin.....if something goes wrong, if I lose insurance.....omg. I’d not make it. That stuff is crazy expensive. Out of pocket retail....at least a couple thousand per month for my insulin and pump supplies.

I am truly blessed that I have Tricare for life, courtesy of my future ex-husband.  I don't pay a dime for my prescriptions.  I do have a 30-minute drive to the naval station to pick them up, but I don't mind that because I get to eat and shop at places that are different from in my town.  I used to take Metformin, but it suddenly started making me vomit, so I begged my doctor to take me off it.  I take four shots of Novolog and two shots of Lantus daily, as well as a weekly shot of Bydureon.  When the quarantine started, I tried to switch my prescription refills to a mail delivery, but it would have cost me over $50 a month.  (I take a lot of medication.)  Much cheaper (and more fun!) to drive over and get them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

@jjane, I am so sorry this is happening to your niece. I just don't understand why the people who are making these decisions are obviously not putting her safety and well-being first. Why is motherhood so damned sacred? I don't think it should be easy to remove a child from the home, but once CPS opens a case it should be on the parents to prove they have a safe home and are meeting all their child's needs. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, magpye29 said:

I am truly blessed that I have Tricare for life, courtesy of my future ex-husband.  I don't pay a dime for my prescriptions.  I do have a 30-minute drive to the naval station to pick them up, but I don't mind that because I get to eat and shop at places that are different from in my town.  I used to take Metformin, but it suddenly started making me vomit, so I begged my doctor to take me off it.  I take four shots of Novolog and two shots of Lantus daily, as well as a weekly shot of Bydureon.  When the quarantine started, I tried to switch my prescription refills to a mail delivery, but it would have cost me over $50 a month.  (I take a lot of medication.)  Much cheaper (and more fun!) to drive over and get them.

I can’t imagine. That must be so nice. I am grateful to have coverage though, some do not. As you know Novalog is very pricy...I have a pump and Continuous Glucose monitor...more pricy....if I lost coverage, I’d have to stop using those things. I don’t take many other meds. Just something for my thyroid, but it’s inexpensive.

• Love 1

I don't mean to imply that the people who work for DCFS are not trained professionals. I have, however, asked if the caseworkers who are dealing with my great niece have any training in mental health issues and have been told that they do not. I have also asked that the therapist I took her to, with whom she has bonded and with whom her sessions have been private, assist in talking to her about her life with her  mother. This request has been denied. I have asked about CASA and been informed that they only get involved in ongoing court cases. Ours has been adjudicated already, now we simply are in the throes of another DCFS case. None of this makes any sense. The fact of the matter is that the courts and DCFS in this state consider family reunification to be the holy grail.

21 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I use the Beekman 1802 face cream and their bar soap. Fantastic products.

I'll try this.  I've suddenly become interested in fragrances. Tough to do from home without samples though!  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll try this.  I've suddenly become interested in fragrances. Tough to do from home without samples though!  

Depending on what you want, you can buy fragrance samples for around $5 online.  I am obsessed with perfumes, and like to occasionally buy some samples or decants to spice things up.  I also like to sample the expensive scents to see if they are worth the money for me.  

Surrender to Chance sells decants in various sizes

https://surrendertochance.com/

Lucky Scents sells samples and full size bottles

https://www.luckyscent.com/

Some perfumers even sell samples on their websites.  

For more mainstream scents

FragranceX 

https://www.fragrancex.com/products/perfume_samples.html

and Fragrancenet

are reputable sites that sell samples.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Depending on what you want, you can buy fragrance samples for around $5 online.  I am obsessed with perfumes, and like to occasionally buy some samples or decants to spice things up.  I also like to sample the expensive scents to see if they are worth the money for me.  

Surrender to Chance sells decants in various sizes

https://surrendertochance.com/

Lucky Scents sells samples and full size bottles

https://www.luckyscent.com/

Some perfumers even sell samples on their websites.  

For more mainstream scents

FragranceX 

and Fragrancenet

are reputable sites that sell samples.

THANK YOU.  This is awesome.  

well, rx update.   i talked to my doctor at length yesterday on the phone. she outright laughed at the gall of a rx that cost that much. she has decided, after more detailed convo with me, that i need a 2nd opinion from a new pulmonologist. the back story is that the pulmonologist that was seeing me told me to my face that i didnt need oxygen and that my asthma/copd wasn't that bad -- he treats 'many more patients that are WAY worse off ' than i am. he shifted me to an allergist to treat my asthma. when this new doctor (allergist) heard what my o2 levels are and how limited i am with any form of exercise/movement, she said that the second opinion is necessary.  so i have an in person appt on june 20.  its progress, i guess.

• Love 21

I was just wondering about how you were doing...thanks for the update. Sounds like that pulmonologist is a jerk...you know what they say, someone graduates from med school at the bottom of the class and it sounds like him. Condescending putz.

I am so hoping this new doctor works out for you! 

• Love 7