Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It's maddening to watch people take advantage of the situation for their own sick gain.

Especially when the Floyd family is calling for peace. I fully support people making their voices heard, but these morons looting and rioting are just committing violence for the sake of violence. I hope their stolen TV's are worth it.

• Love 9
(edited)

My friend was able to get her cancer treatment. She said downtown Chicago was pretty boarded up. It looks like most of the looting is now in the suburbs. I’m watching a live stream of my  town’s downtown area being looted right now. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Just got an alert on my phone. The entire county (about a million people) is under curfew tonight starting at 8:00. Lots of distant sirens last night, so I get it.

Same here. Not that the curfew is making a difference. Helicopters nightly. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Came to check on @ChiCricket.

We are all safe inside with supplies. 

I appreciate all the prayers from praying folk. 

I don’t have much else say. I need to keep brain space to work and care for my family. 

Thanks for being here small talk family.

Thanks for checking @Scarlett45 ...I'm fine, where we live nothing much happened. 

We live in Cook County, but just on the edge of it. All the stores near us are in DuPage County, and they didn't seem to be getting touched (that I heard of.) 

How is it where you live? Be safe, please!

• Love 4
(edited)

@GeeGolly wrote:   I actually don't think that proves the majority of folks don't want change. I think confusion, lack of direction, lack of awareness and lack of empathy turn into apathy. I'd guess upwards of 2/3rds of this country are not onboard with racism.   

And here's what I think (a view that I already know to be quite unpopular!): 

Yep, what we as Americans really want, believe and intend with regard to race and privilege in America is definitely a big question! 

To me, the fact that it's virtually never debated in any detail by much of America as the intense systemic discrimination goes on and on and on  tells me something -- which, to me, is that people really really really don't want to discuss it seriously and act on it. Because if they truly wanted to see it materially change, we would have those discussions.

So my guess, based on my definition -- which includes as opponents to ending racism people who simply refuse to actually talk about or confront it --  is that it's more like 2/3rds the other way!

I realize that, if asked, many of those people would absolutely affirm that they abhor racism and that, in some vague way, they probably kinda sorta mean that.....and that lack of awareness is certainly part of the cause for some of these folks.

However, if the people in this overall category were then asked to thoroughly examine their relationship to white privilege and their underlying attitudes about race and then do everything it would take to give their white privilege up, I'm pretty sure a fairly large number would ultimately just balk and give up in exhaustion and/or say it's no big deal and/or recommend praying because Jesus does everything! (kinda like Gabby!) 

In my opinion, something that is absolutely changeable -- and, in fact, pretty easily changeable if people really put their minds to it -- can change much more in 155 years than our race situation has...

But the change would only happen if  the people who benefit from the status quo rather than suffer from it actually want to change. And that requires that the majority examine the situation closely enough to learn how deep a change is necessary....and that just has never happened and, as far as I can see, is not happening now. It's always somebody else causing all the problems, not me.....

And I absolutely admit that it's hard to change something that's so deeply embedded in us and in our culture that most don't even realize that it's there. And I also absolutely admit that I don't see it often enough either and that I certainly don't do and say nearly as much as I should to help end it. 

And that's all I intend to say about this! This is my story and I've so far seen nothing in my life that convinces me it isn't the true story -- so I'm sticking to it. I hope that I, personally, will start doing much more to push change than I've ever done so far. 

And hoping for the best for us all!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Thanks for checking @Scarlett45 ...I'm fine, where we live nothing much happened. 

We live in Cook County, but just on the edge of it. All the stores near us are in DuPage County, and they didn't seem to be getting touched (that I heard of.) 

How is it where you live? Be safe, please!

We are good. Mom went to work today (her clinic is fine)- but she has to cross the city to do so, her route has been altered. My neighborhood is peaceful  I’m waiting for my visit from the garbage truck (my window faces the alley). 

• Love 9
(edited)

I read your post @Churchhoney, I agree with the facts you have stated, and have contemplated a lengthy response to share my thoughts. However, I think it would be unfair to hijack this forum with such a highly charged topic. Racism is a powerful system, but one that I believe can, and will be beat.

I just wanted to add one more thing. I'm an LICSW (never worked a day for DCF), and I have long been a part of promoting change at the micro and mezzo levels.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

@GeeGolly wrote:   I actually don't think that proves the majority of folks don't want change. I think confusion, lack of direction, lack of awareness and lack of empathy turn into apathy. I'd guess upwards of 2/3rds of this country are not onboard with racism.   

And here's what I think (a view that I already know to be quite unpopular!): 

Yep, what we as Americans really want, believe and intend with regard to race and privilege in America is definitely a big question! 

To me, the fact that it's virtually never debated in any detail by much of America as the intense systemic discrimination goes on and on and on  tells me something -- which, to me, is that people really really really don't want to discuss it seriously and act on it. Because if they truly wanted to see it materially change, we would have those discussions.

So my guess, based on my definition -- which includes as opponents to ending racism people who simply refuse to actually talk about or confront it --  is that it's more like 2/3rds the other way!

I realize that, if asked, many of those people would absolutely affirm that they abhor racism and that, in some vague way, they probably kinda sorta mean that.....and that lack of awareness is certainly part of the cause for some of these folks.

However, if the people in this overall category were then asked to thoroughly examine their relationship to white privilege and their underlying attitudes about race and then do everything it would take to give their white privilege up, I'm pretty sure a fairly large number would ultimately just balk and say it's no big deal and/or recommend praying because Jesus does everything! (kinda like Gabby!) 

In my opinion, something that is absolutely changeable -- and, in fact, pretty easily changeable if people really put their minds to it -- can change much more in 155 years than our race situation has...

But the change would only happen if  the people who benefit from the status quo rather than suffer from it actually want to change. And that requires that the majority examine the situation closely enough to learn how deep a change is necessary....and that just has never happened and, as far as I can see, not happening now. It's always somebody else causing all the problems, not me.....

And I absolutely admit that it's hard to change something that's so deeply embedded in us and in our culture that most don't even realize that it's there. And I also absolutely admit that I don't see it often enough either and that I certainly don't do and say nearly enough as I should to help end it. 

And that's all I intend to say about this! This is my story and I've so far seen nothing in my life that convinces me it isn't the true story -- so I'm sticking to it. And hoping that I, personally, will start doing much more to push change than I've ever done so far. 

And hoping for the best for us all!

There are a lot of white people who will say they aren't racist but as soon as you bring up white privilege, they lose it.  They don't see how they have benefited from systematic racism especially if they grew up lower middle class or poor.  They see the concept of white privilege nullifying the hard work they put in to live a middle class existence.  This really is the most insidious part of institutional racism,  it happens so subtly that only those being oppressed notice.  

The first thing that needs to change to combat structural racism is education.  In almost every state in our nation, children learn American history through a white, Anglo-Saxon lens. POC are barely mentioned and usually only in the context of them assisting white men.  Events like the destruction of Black Wall Street in Tulsa in 1921 need to be discussed.  Black American history usually reads slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow, Harlem Renaissance, Civil Rights movement and stops in 1968.  Maybe Emmett Till or Medgar Evers get mentioned along with Rosa Parks, MLK Jr, and Malcom X.  Concepts like redlining, sundown towns, urban renewal, and lynchings are barely mentioned.  And then you have actual college professors tell their students that "slavery in North Carolina wasn't that bad.  In 1861 there were only 3 plantations in the whole state with over 100 slaves."  And this was a man who studied and wrote a book on the Wilmington Race Riots of 1898.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There are a lot of white people who will say they aren't racist but as soon as you bring up white privilege, they lose it.  They don't see how they have benefited from systematic racism especially if they grew up lower middle class or poor.  They see the concept of white privilege nullifying the hard work they put in to live a middle class existence.  This really is the most insidious part of institutional racism,  it happens so subtly that only those being oppressed notice.  

Responding specifically to this section-

Checking one’s privilege is hard, it takes a lot of emotional maturity and self awareness. 

Let me use my Mom as an example- she’s really mellowed with age and is much better at recognizing her privilege than she was 20yrs ago. If you had mentioned the word “privilege” to her in 2000 she would’ve snapped at you and stated

“I’m a black woman in America with an R-word child, I don’t have any fucking privileges!!!” (Outside of having loving parents, because not all kids get that, so she would admit that having loving parents gave her a leg up).

For a long time her intelligence, education, earning potential, mental health etc didn’t count as “privileges” to her because to her she worked for all that, and like a lot of black people who came up during segregation if she was able to do it what’s your excuse????

And of course I love my Mom, she’s my most favorite being in the entire world, but she’s got a chip on her shoulder (mostly due to Mommy Guilt) and it’s taken ME (her most favorite being) pointing some things out to her to get her to listen. 

• Love 13
54 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Checking one’s privilege is hard, it takes a lot of emotional maturity and self awareness. 

Let me use my Mom as an example- she’s really mellowed with age and is much better at recognizing her privilege than she was 20yrs ago. If you had mentioned the word “privilege” to her in 2000 she would’ve snapped at you and stated

“I’m a black woman in America with an R-world child, I don’t have any fucking privileges!!!” (Outside of having loving parents, because not all kids get that, so she would admit that having loving parents gave her a leg up).

For a long time her intelligence, education, earning potential, mental health etc didn’t count as “privileges” to her because to her she worked for all that, and like a lot of black people who came up during segregation if she was able to do it what’s your excuse????

And of course I love my Mom, she’s my most favorite being in the entire world, but she’s got a chip on her shoulder (mostly due to Mommy Guilt) and it’s taken ME (her most favorite being) pointing some things out to her to get her to listen. 

Yeah, your Mom is pretty much all of us in this, I guess.

Actively trying to become aware of the real -- and many -- facts of your existence and exactly how you relate to the world and what the consequences of that are, let alone trying to change some of those things for the benefit of others or for society in general, doesn't come naturally or easily to the human animal.

We're capable of it, obviously, but that capability is only a tiny tiny -- and newly evolved -- part of the very top layer of human consciousness, I imagine. Our brains have evolved to be much much more obedient to the principle of "stick with what's working for me and ignore anything else" -- because that's been way more important to the survival of our individual DNA most of the time. 

Unfortunately, institutional change that works only happens when enough of us make big enough personal changes in our attitudes, beliefs and behaviors, I guess. And you're so right that that's very uphill work. Practically vertical a lot of times. 

When it comes to white privilege, has anybody read the book Me and White Supremacy, by Layla Saad, or seen the stuff she posted on her website about this a couple years ago? She poses thought questions aimed at building awareness of your own privilege and your racial blind spots. Not comfortable but scarily enlightening. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

“I’m a black woman in America with an R-world child, I don’t have any fucking privileges!!!” (Outside of having loving parents, because not all kids get that, so she would admit that having loving parents gave her a leg up).

I also think that while privilege is the correct term, the word is loaded with a different meaning for many people.  They hear privilege and think Kennedy, or one of the Trump kids.  People who grew up going to a country club.  People who never had to work for anything.  They get ahead based on their surname alone.  These people don't see their privilege because they only focus on themselves and on the people above them.  

I do wonder if my dad ever thought about his brushes with the law over the years and how he was never arrested.  No black man would be let off with a warning after drunkenly trying to steal a parking meter in downtown Cleveland like he did.  Also my older brother was once arrested in Philadelphia.  I'm not sure what the charge was, but he was an addict at the time.  The cops took a look at him and called my parents to come and take him home.  A good white boy like that needed his family and rehab.  I know no POC would have been afforded the same response.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also think that while privilege is the correct term, the word is loaded with a different meaning for many people.  They hear privilege and think Kennedy, or one of the Trump kids.  People who grew up going to a country club.  People who never had to work for anything.  They get ahead based on their surname alone.  These people don't see their privilege because they only focus on themselves and on the people above them.  

Yes. We spend a lot of time discussing things like that in my Sib Group (support group for people who have siblings with disabilities). 

Let me share an example of where I 100% forgot about a privilege I had. A few years ago some of my friends (mostly white ones) were encouraging me to try online dating and I was hesitant “Black women and fat women dont do well on dating sites blah blah blah”(which is true) but I could afford to lose the money so I gave it a shot. 

I did far better than I ever could’ve imagined on match.com and made the money back I spent on a 3month subscription in 10 days of free dinner, pastries and fancy coffees. I thought “this is the life!”

You know what I forgot about- colorism . Skin tone wise I’m between Meghan Markle and Alicia Keys, with a looser curl texture and Eurocentric features (I am not insinuating I’m anywhere as pretty as those ladies). Add in the fetish for that phenotype in communities of color, and being a lawyer with no kids I did better on the dating site than I other wise may have with more melanin. “Even the black men that don’t want to date black women would want you Scarlett45.” It’s disgusting. And I completely forgot about it until it was pointed out to me and some dates kept asking me if I was bi-racial (I’m not- there’s nothing wrong with being bi-racial but please don’t ask dates that it’s rude.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 18

Growing up/being poor (not lower middle class, but homeless/not knowing where you next meal is coming from) makes privilege seem like a foreign concept and can make some people irrationally angry about it.  My mom once told me that she did see and care about racism, but the more desperate her own situation, and the more she had to worry about feeding her children, the less and less room there was in her consciousness for other people.  She didn't want to be selfish, but her immediate problems ruled her world.  I imagine that there are a chunk of white people who feel that way.

My sister knew that her landlord was racist, but she wasn't exactly smug about her whiteness in her 10x30 camper/trailer with rotted floors, no hot water, 2 extension cords for power and holes in the ceiling.  How do you deal with that?  Grateful you're white so you don't have your baby in the backseat of a car?  Do you not live there to show support for the family that couldn't?

It's a complicated subject and lots and lots of people feel powerless.

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Growing up/being poor (not lower middle class, but homeless/not knowing where you next meal is coming from) makes privilege seem like a foreign concept and can make some people irrationally angry about it.  My mom once told me that she did see and care about racism, but the more desperate her own situation, and the more she had to worry about feeding her children, the less and less room there was in her consciousness for other people.  She didn't want to be selfish, but her immediate problems ruled her world.  I imagine that there are a chunk of white people who feel that way.

My sister knew that her landlord was racist, but she wasn't exactly smug about her whiteness in her 10x30 camper/trailer with rotted floors, no hot water, 2 extension cords for power and holes in the ceiling.  How do you deal with that?  Grateful you're white so you don't have your baby in the backseat of a car?  Do you not live there to show support for the family that couldn't?

It's a complicated subject and lots and lots of people feel powerless.

Thank you for sharing that. That goes to my point above that most people are not malicious or have evil intention towards others (those that do are an entire other problem and need to be dealt with but I don’t think they are the majority or a significant minority), but people are focused on themselves.

NO ONE wants to be on the bottom of the social ladder or have worry about their basic needs. Humans are intrinsically focused on themselves (and the ones they personally have an affinity towards). 

It’s similar to the colorism disparity I spoke about in my own experience. I’m no less black despite how awful colorism is in the black community but yeah it’s a privilege. I don’t spend the majority of my time as a black woman thinking about how great I have it because of colorism (I don’t). Some of my friends/cousins that are more racially ambiguous or white passing have a different story to tell. 

We also talk about this subject in the disability community. There is SO MUCH ableism in the black community it’s just NOT FUNNY, but intellectually I know it’s got a lot to do with internalized hatred, emotional exhaustion and practicality(but that doesn’t make it right). It’s hard enough to be black in a world that values you for how fast you can move or how hard you can work, and if you’re a black person that’s disabled society at large has NO USE for you. You aren’t even pitied, or used as “inspiration porn”.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, galaxychaser said:

I wish people got along and loved each other. Why can’t we just get along? That would be my utopia.

Word. Eating good food. Music. Having lots of adult consensual safe sex. That would be my jam. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Word. Eating good food. Music. Having lots of adult consensual safe sex. That would be my jam. 

Yes to that. Can we start our own utopia. We just need some men 🤣🤣🤣.

• LOL 6

On a lighter note. I planted a small raised garden. Problem is now I feel like a two year old waiting for the plants to produce vegetables. It's going to be a long couple of months.

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

On a lighter note. I planted a small raised garden. Problem is now I feel like a two year old waiting for the plants to produce vegetables. It's going to be a long couple of months.

How exciting!! My great aunt barbara was a wonderful gardener, my flower garden is in her memory. 

• Love 6

Once again, my uncle is just a jewel! He dropped by today and left a box of produce......cucumbers, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, pears, blueberries, etc.  Man, he's such a thoughtful person.  Christmas in JUNE! 

• Love 18

i just wanted to jump on here to share that i am REALLY scared. this protesting thing has come to MY area and its sounding pretty scary. social media has indicated that there is some rioting planned for tonight as well as some major protesting. i only can hope and pray that it doesnt get all crazy.  to be sure, my home is not in the thick of it but it is too close -- in the general area of where i shop etc. just 3ish miles down the hill. i actually saw the 'flyer' that went out on social  media calling for weapons to be brought for use in breaking in places. my sister saw the buildings boarded up already in preparation.

can you literally have a physical reaction to fear? i am literally shaking.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Once again, my uncle is just a jewel! He dropped by today and left a box of produce......cucumbers, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, pears, blueberries, etc.  Man, he's such a thoughtful person.  Christmas in JUNE! 

I love produce! That sounds wonderful. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, zoomama said:

can you literally have a physical reaction to fear? i am literally shaking.

Yes you can. You are probably having a panic attack. I have those a lot. It feels like a war in the world.

(edited)
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have blossoms on my tomatoes and I'm thrilled, never saw any so soon before. I've grown my own veggies for 20 years and it never gets old-til the bugs overtake things ugh. And squirrels, rats with fluffy tails, thank you I am building hoop houses covered in netting to outsmart the bastards. They take one bite out of my ripest tomatoes and then run away.

Weeding every day makes my anxiety a bit easier to take.

And a little bit about racism- I was doing my husband's family tree and came across his 3rd great grandmother's name in conjuction with a Freedman's Bank account. Now hm I said, only slaves could have those. Yep the blue-eyed blonde man I married had a slave for a grandmother. He won't tell his brother because he's a flat-out racist. Oh the irony.

Frankly I wanted to tell him to watch his head explode but that's just the way I am.

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 11
  • Love 12

This is the second delivery of produce. He lives in a rural area....I assume local growers. All I can say is keep it coming! I’m going to send him a nice thank you card.

Rioting in my city stopped last night due to curfew. Previous 2 nights were rough. Thankfully, our office wasn’t damaged. We are just a few blocks from downtown Raleigh where most of it happened.   The Criminal and civil courthouses were closed yesterday due to damage. NC Supreme Court Building damaged as well. It seems to now be only peaceful protestors. Last night everyone went home when curfew took effect. Prayers for tonight. 

We haven’t had riots here, but a nearby interstate has had people on overpasses throwing bricks onto cars, and trucks.

There was a very peaceful demonstration about 10 miles from here. No incidents at all.

Stay safe , all.

• Love 6

Peaceful protest, I can definitely get behind. Rioting, I guess I can understand. But looting? Can someone explain to me, in words of one or two syllables, how in the world anyone thinks that can be anything but counterproductive? I just don't get it. Not remotely.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Peaceful protest, I can definitely get behind. Rioting, I guess I can understand. But looting? Can someone explain to me, in words of one or two syllables, how in the world anyone thinks that can be anything but counterproductive? I just don't get it. Not remotely.

People who don’t care about anything but their own gain using tragedy and the righteous anger of peaceful protestors to loot in the chaos. Also as shield to cover up their misbehavior. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

The looters got to my local CVS. This really sucks because I have RXs just about up for refills. I have no idea when they'll be open again. 😒

The word here is to call the next closer CVS and they'll handle your prescriptions.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It’s an opportunity for a criminal to steal and most likely get away with it.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

People who don’t care about anything but their own gain using tragedy and the righteous anger of peaceful protestors to loot in the chaos. Also as shield to cover up their misbehavior. 

Absolutely,  I don't think that many of those out looting and vandalizing are doing anything other than taking advantage of the grief and anger over a young man's senseless murder for their own selfish purposes.  There may be some anarchists and others on the political fringes who are trying to use this moment in history to promote their own agenda, who want to divert our attention from peaceful dialogue for their own sinister purposes.  I do not think for one moment that the vast majority of the criminal element committing these atrocities has given a single thought to Mr. Floyd's death nor do they care that their actions are clouding a golden opportunity for this country to step back and take a look at the systemic racism in our society.

• Love 23
Just now, galaxychaser said:

It’s an opportunity for a criminal to steal and most likely get away with it.

It's just that I keep seeing people trying to justify it, and that just doesn't make sense. As opportunity for criminals and, as @Scarlett45 said, for personal gain through using the tragedy and righteous anger of others, yes, it does, but I didn't know whether I was missing anything. Thank you. 

• Love 2