Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I always tell my kids that George Orwell was only off by about 20 years. 

ETA: I’m referring specifically to “Big Brother is Watching.”

Edited by EVS
Clarity
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, EVS said:

I always tell my kids that George Orwell was only off by about 20 years. 

ETA: I’m referring specifically to “Big Brother is Watching.”

He was very prescient.  Its corporations not the government, but not far off.

• Love 3

Please be careful everyone! I got a phone call and noticed the caller ID information was my name and phone number. The call came from Microsoft saying my IP account was going to be cancelled because someone was trying to hack into my computer. I hang up without giving the caller any information and contacted the sheriff department. I might file a complaint with the Consumer Protection office.

I missed two phone calls this morning ... both of them were from a fake IRS office. (Different numbers, both 888 area code, same recorded voice.) The caller says my Social Security number is "just suspend" so I should press 1. Is there a place to report this on-line?

I didn't believe it immediately, but a clue, if I had needed one, is the strange grammar of my number being just suspend. I hate to think of the number of folks who would press and believe the rest of the spiel.

On a lighter note, I just drove for three days, from my Florida trailer to my house on a lake in MA. I whine and gripe while I'm driving, but as soon as I get home, I go "Hey, that wasn't so bad." Because I'm home, and I love my house, love my daughter, love my lake, love my local friends, love my library, etc.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Porkchop said:

I missed two phone calls this morning ... both of them were from a fake IRS office. (Different numbers, both 888 area code, same recorded voice.) The caller says my Social Security number is "just suspend" so I should press 1. Is there a place to report this on-line?

I didn't believe it immediately, but a clue, if I had needed one, is the strange grammar of my number being just suspend. I hate to think of the number of folks who would press and believe the rest of the spiel.

On a lighter note, I just drove for three days, from my Florida trailer to my house on a lake in MA. I whine and gripe while I'm driving, but as soon as I get home, I go "Hey, that wasn't so bad." Because I'm home, and I love my house, love my daughter, love my lake, love my local friends, love my library, etc.

Call your local law enforcement department and let them know about the calls. Also check if your state has a consumer protection office to file a possible complaint.

I just got a second phone call with my name and number in the caller id list again. I told the person off and hang up. I might end up filing a complaint.

(edited)

It's tax season, so the number of fake calls is up. There is one going around right now claiming to be from Apple and spoofing an Apple Support number and it wants you to verify your user name, password, credit card info, etc. to avoid being locked out of your account. 

According to the numerous messages I've gotten lately, my SSN has been hacked, my "person is under bodily arrest" for tax violations, and I need to verify my bank account information so a sizable refund check can be sent to me. *eyeroll*

Just be extra cautious and do not give out any info EVER on the phone if you didn't initiate the call. Also, don't answer the call if you don't recognize the number. Make them leave a message and then block the number. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 6

We used to get mostly robocalls on our (VOIP) landline. I signed up for nomorobo (https://www.nomorobo.com/) and it has changed everything. A few calls get through, but no more of the tax fraud or computer fraud ones. I also just installed it on my cell, since most of the calls I get there are also fake. It's free for the landline. I actually like it when we get a call that only rings once because I know that means it has trapped a robocall. Ha!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

We used to get mostly robocalls on our (VOIP) landline. I signed up for nomorobo (https://www.nomorobo.com/) and it has changed everything. A few calls get through, but no more of the tax fraud or computer fraud ones. I also just installed it on my cell, since most of the calls I get there are also fake. It's free for the landline. I actually like it when we get a call that only rings once because I know that means it has trapped a robocall. Ha!

My phone company does not take nomorobo services. Figures...

What I would really like to find is a robocall blocker that works for a non-VOIP landline. My dad is in assisted living with Alzheimer's and has in the past fallen for a scam about fixing his computer. I take some solace in the fact that his vision is terrible and he'd have trouble reading his credit card number to anyone but I'd still prefer to eliminate the possibility as much as possible.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

What I would really like to find is a robocall blocker that works for a non-VOIP landline. My dad is in assisted living with Alzheimer's and has in the past fallen for a scam about fixing his computer. I take some solace in the fact that his vision is terrible and he'd have trouble reading his credit card number to anyone but I'd still prefer to eliminate the possibility as much as possible.

Do you have a Consumer Protection Office in the state where your dad lives. They might be able to help you out.

They called for the third time, and I lost my temper. I waited until a person got on the line and told him I called the sheriff department and will contact the one office to let them know what they are up to and do not call again. Probably not the best way to handle it, but it just made me mad because they keep calling. I did call the one office and they said it was a scam, and the person I talk with said they are using my real name and phone number in order to block the number they are calling from. GRRR!!!

Edited by bigskygirl
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I like that we have new buttons to push for our responses. I just would like one to express anger. I feel anger for a lot of what I’ve read above. 

Me too! On the news last week there was a story about a scam involving veterans being charged to get their military records. Seriously...Scamming the men and women who served our country. And then there were the scammers trying to make a fast buck off the one MT Highway Patrol trooper who was shot last month along with the two people were also shot and in the hospital, and the one guy who died. GRRR!!!

Does anyone know how to mute or block posters so you don't have to see their posts? I've been all over the site rules and sections, but I can't seem to find how to do that. 

PS, it's no one here, lol! It's another forum I frequent and this person contributes quite a lot, but it's never anything I find relevant.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Does anyone know how to mute or block posters so you don't have to see their posts? I've been all over the site rules and sections, but I can't seem to find how to do that. 

PS, it's no one here, lol! It's another forum I frequent and this person contributes quite a lot, but it's never anything I find relevant.

Click on your username at the top of the page on the right. Hit the one small arrow next to your name and ignore poster feature should be in the list. I think you can type in the name of the person you want to ignore. You can also send a PM to a mod for help trying to figure it out.

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

@emma675 you can also hover your cursor over the avatar of the poster you wish to ignore and the choice to ignore will pop up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

It's tax season, so the number of fake calls is up. There is one going around right now claiming to be from Apple and spoofing an Apple Support number and it wants you to verify your user name, password, credit card info, etc. to avoid being locked out of your account. 

According to the numerous messages I've gotten lately, my SSN has been hacked, my "person is under bodily arrest" for tax violations, and I need to verify my bank account information so a sizable refund check can be sent to me. *eyeroll*

Just be extra cautious and do not give out any info EVER on the phone if you didn't initiate the call. Also, don't answer the call if you don't recognize the number. Make them leave a message and then block the number. 

My sister received one today claiming she was a tax evader, etc. It wasn't a good day so she replied, "You lard ass piece of sh*t, I'll tell you what you can do..." Well, she couldn't since he hung up on her, so she dialed back and got a woman, who just answered, hello, then tried to continue the scam. My sister continued on the same vein, and she hung up on her. As my sister views this as a release, she called back again and they disconnected the line. She's had scammers block her. She says she doesn't want to yell at her partner, so she takes it out on them.  Just remember, the IRS never phones, it's always snail mail. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

They use to do commercials on a local radio station where an older man would answer the phone and a scammer or telemarketer would be calling. It was so funny how he turn it back on the caller. He would talk about his prostate, tried to ask questions about other things, ask funny questions about what they were trying to sell him, etc. etc. It got to the point to where the caller ended up hanging up. I miss hearing the commercials.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

They use to do commercials on a local radio station where an older man would answer the phone and a scammer or telemarketer would be calling. It was so funny how he turn it back on the caller. He would talk about his prostate, tried to ask questions about other things, ask funny questions about what they were trying to sell him, etc. etc. It got to the point to where the caller ended up hanging up. I miss hearing the commercials.

I remember some of those prank calls and they were hilarious! Thanks for the reminder. May have to go searching on YouTube for some. 

• Love 2

I recently bought a new Panasonic cordless phone that has a "block" button.  Seems to be working very well.  I have Ooma instead of a regular land line, and their call blocking is excellent.  I also have nomorobo.  I did find out I was being arrested for taxes last week (the warrant has already been issues, no less), and that my PC needed help (I don't have a PC, I have an Apple).  But otherwise between Ooma and nomorobo I really get very few calls.  I use TrueCall on my cell phone and I don't get any robo calls.  But my favorite thing is that block button for local "charities" and some vent cleaning service that keeps changing its number.  There oughta be a law!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

My dad is an expert at torturing scam callers (and telemarketers). One time he pretended to be being eaten by a bear. I don't even know how pretending to be eaten by a bear works, but the guy hung up on him. I think they know not to call his house anymore. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

Is it just me, or does the new Primetimer logo look more like the gay freedom flag than TV color bars?

LGBT Flag.png

What I was wondering is what abbreviation to use for the site now.

I was used to TWoP..then PTV..now.....???

Oh..and on the scam thing..there are calls to grandparents now acting like they are the grandchild in trouble and need money sent to them. They'll say something like they got beat up and their nose was broken, and that's why they sound different. 🙄

Edited by ChiCricket

I did find out I was being arrested for taxes last week (the warrant has already been issues, no less)...

Me, too! A guy with a heavy Caribbean sounding accent left a message saying I was in "violation of tax payments refusals" and that "my person would be bodily arrested soon at my home or place of business" if I didn't call him back right away. Apparently, my Apple account has also been hacked and my Discover card account is also in dire straits. Which is funny, because I have neither of those.

• LOL 9
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I finished the book You. It’s different from the show... I prefer the show. So intense and thrilling! 

I also saw Shazam too cute! I loved it. Zachary Levi isn’t too bad to look at either.

Ahhhhh I love Zach Levi! The movie filmed in my city. Im excited to see it. He’s so talented and charming. Im literally swooning right now. 

20 hours ago, awaken said:

Unfortunately, I dislike the name primetimer. It sounds too much like “oldtimer”. 

The name is not reflective of my viewing.  Other than being a 600lber live chatter,  I watch most of  the shows I comment about during the day!  In prime time it is sports and movies and movies and sports. 

• Love 5

I DVR at night and usually watch the next morning.  I'll have to join the not a fan of Primetimer either.  One of our local churches uses that name for their senior club.  😺

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
On 4/8/2019 at 8:10 AM, bigskygirl said:

Please be careful everyone! I got a phone call and noticed the caller ID information was my name and phone number. The call came from Microsoft saying my IP account was going to be cancelled because someone was trying to hack into my computer. I hang up without giving the caller any information and contacted the sheriff department. I might file a complaint with the Consumer Protection office.

Funny you mentioned that today.  I got one tonight and it ticked me off that they were spoofing me.  So I talked to the guy.  I decided to impersonate my mother who has dementia.  I wonder how long it will take for them to drop my number from their list if I can keep this up.  It was actually fun seeing what I could get away with before he hung up on me.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Hi guys!  I had a "procedure" (aka out-patient minor surgery) this morning on wounds on my lower back/upper butt area.  I feel good, just a little loopy& tired from general anesthesia. (Thank my stars to whoever developed anesthesia.  I wouldn't make it biting on bullets or getting drunk or using nothing like they did way back when.) No pain but got backup painkillers in addition to my regular extended pain meds for my RA . Good to have, just in case. Had a great surgeon& he said it wasn't as deep as he thought so that was good. In layman's terms, he made two wounds into one & a wound vac was applied which sucks stuff out (sorry if too graphic but that is what is does). I've had one before so am used to it.  The whole thing was a  miracle for me because I'm one of those people who have black clouds hover over, esp with my health & for once all went great !!  I'm sure all your well wishes & prayers a few weeks back when I was feeling down about my health really helped so thanks again. 😊

Side note- The dr also gave the wound a shot (or graft?) of placental cells which increases the healing of the wound.  Think he said it's similar to or a part of stem cell research.  I guess it's like the family where the one kid had cancer or another fatal disease & they had new baby to use placenta cells on the kid's cancer. I do remember when I worked for OB/gyn there is a special co that stores placental cells for families. I think this  was Lifetime movie too. Maybe @doodlebug could elaborate, I haven't Googled it yet. 

Wonder if the Duggars approve of or believe in  placental cells for medical uses like I had? I think it's amazing  but would they have said No.  I'm hoping they would be agreeable since what else would they do with placenta like planting it or making milkshakes & vitamins out of it.

Sorry, I'm beginning to ramble (more than usual) so I'll quit now & sleep off my loopiness.

• Love 18

@Barb23, I'm glad things went well for you this time, and send you best wishes as you recover. 

Okay, this Primetimer name is just obnoxious as all hell. Could they have POSSIBLY in the WHOLE WORLD found a lamer name for a TV discussion site?

Methinks we have now moved in a completely different direction from the good old Television Without Pity beginnings. Previously TV was a little odd but not bad.

But now: PRIMETIMER. Really? Is this turning from a site for sometimes inspired snark, into a fan site? Are we gonna be gushing over Jana's new eyebrows and short skirt, or else banned?

As @awaken mentioned above, "Primetimer" has been used as an especially stupid, patronizing, and irritating name for old people, aka senior citizens. Look, I'm old and I hate that shit. I am NOT a Primetimer, and I will spit in your eye if you call me one.

Grrrr. . . . 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 14
34 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

@Barb23 so glad it all went well and yes bless the pain meds!  Mr lookeyloo had a wound vac twice on his sternal wound infection after his bypass so we are familiar with them. We got used to the sounds.  We almost named it. 

That is so true about its noises.  We hung it over the end of bed rail (I have a hospital bed w/air mattress) and I was having a dream with a clip clop horse type of noise that wouldn't go away & I couldn't figure it out. I realized it was the wound vac when I woke up. I fell asleep with my head right next to it. 

That's a funny idea about naming it.  I think I'll do it.  Maybe I can choose on a western or horse name since it makes the clip clop sound. Like John Wayne,  Tonto, Misty (of Chincoteague) etc.

BTW, add me to the list of not digging the Primetimer (aka Oldtimer) name.  I thought it was going to be a sub forum name when I first saw it since it was listed under the Previously TV heading. What were they thinking of? 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

Ahhhhh I love Zach Levi! The movie filmed in my city. Im excited to see it. He’s so talented and charming. Im literally swooning right now. 

Which city? Yes he is so handsome. I loved him on Chuck! I have a big crush on him. Apparently he moved to Texas.

42 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Which city? Yes he is so handsome. I loved him on Chuck! I have a big crush on him. Apparently he moved to Texas.

one in Ontario, Canada! Lots of things film up here because it's much much cheaper than filming in the actual states. 

In my freshman year of high school, Suits took over downtown and made it look like Times Square, and theres a half milisecond in th mindy project where they use one of our streetcars insteed of California! Batman V Superman also made my uni famous ahahah

also, the the real question: have you heard him sing?!?!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Absolom said:

Urban dictionary hasn't heard the church definition yet, but I give you these hits that turned up on the first page of queries.

https://www.bfnaz.com/prime_timer

http://www.englewoodbaptist.com/primetimer-ministry/

https://www.granthamchurch.org/primetimers

I wonder if TPTB here would consider reverting to the previous name or finding something less ageist.  

Amazingly, out of the blue, one of those was the church I went to through college!   Thanks for the blast from the past!  Who knew they had a primetimers club!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Barb23 said:

BTW, add me to the list of not digging the Primetimer (aka Oldtimer) 

I hate it..makes me think of Alzheimer's every time I see the name.

(I don't know why my mind goes there, but it does)

PS did Dave sell the site? I hope nothing else major changes.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 4

Dang. I need to spend less time online. So I suppose that if this site changes for the worse and I wander away, it's all for the better for me. But I like checking in with you guys here. Sigh.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Aunt Becky might go to prison. I still think most of them will get probation. $ buys good lawyers/freedom.

https://people.com/crime/lori-loughlin-felicity-huffman-feds-seek-harsh-punishment-college-admissions-scandal/

Honestly, I'd rather see some sort of settlement that has Lori donating a shit ton of money to scholarships for needy kids. I really don't want my tax dollars going towards her upkeep in a Federal prison. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Honestly, I'd rather see some sort of settlement that has Lori donating a shit ton of money to scholarships for needy kids. I really don't want my tax dollars going towards her upkeep in a Federal prison. 

Perfect idea.  It will be a media & social network  frenzy If she does go to prison "camp".  It will be like Martha Stewart back in the day with 20/20 specials, books, interviews,  etc.

• Love 4