Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Aw.....you're so honest.  That's what I get for assuming. 😂

I love the history of names btw..they fascinate me. One of my favorite websites is: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager , where you can search any name and see the history of how popular they've been over the years.

Just for fun, I searched both Barb and Alice..here are the results:

(no wonder there was at least two other Barbaras in my school classes throughout my life..what about Alice?) 😊

Screenshot_20190317-162720.jpg

Screenshot_20190317-162628.jpg

Ps looks like Alice is making a small comeback..Barb has flatlined.😁

good. (sorry barb)

• LOL 2

@Barb23, hugs and prayers coming your way. I hope you are better soon. And, you're right about this board. People here are awesome and to tell you the truth, when I'm really upset about something, this is often the first place I turn. Not because I don't have other people in my life but because I've always been the one who makes it all better for them and they just don't know what to do when I'm not the strong one. The people here are encouraging and non-judgemental. We are obviously on a higher plane.

• Love 9

@ChiCricket, I loved the bingo game. As a fibromyalgia patient, I recognized every bit of it. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt because it is such a bizarre disease but sometimes it gets the better of me. Then  your doctor says you look so good you must be feeling a lot better and you want to gouge his eyes out. Looking good is a function of pride,  make-up, and sometimes sheer stubborn will. 

• Love 9

My daughter headed back to college today after a week home for Spring Break. I’m thrilled she’s thriving but am in a funk. Tomorrow is Monday and my husband is annoying the enamel off my teeth. Bah humbug. 

• LOL 2
10 minutes ago, Catfin said:

My daughter headed back to college today after a week home for Spring Break. I’m thrilled she’s thriving but am in a funk. Tomorrow is Monday and my husband is annoying the enamel off my teeth. Bah humbug. 

Of course you miss your baby person! (((Hugs))) I’m sure she misses you too despite her life of college. 

No advice on the husband, you look at anyone too long they will annoy you. It’s hard to live with others. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Come to think of it, this is the only Alice I ever "knew".. I seriously can't remember ever meeting one in real life. How funny. 

PS and my younger sister's name is Alison! (one L)

Funny you found this.

I can't tell you how many times Mr Barb has said the words "you're going to the moon Alice" to me over 34 years of marriage.   He always includes the arm gesture too. 

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 5
16 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Funny you found this.

I can't tell you how many times Mr Barb has said the words "you're going to the moon Alice" to me over 34 years of marriage.   He always includes the arm gesture too. 

My co-worker (my age) has a daughter named Alice (4yrs old). She’s named after his GreatAunt with whom he was very close. 

• Love 4

Late to the party, but @Barb23, you are in my thoughts and prayers!!! I hate that everything is hitting you so hard all at once, and also glad you found your way back to us. I've been so busy this week. Great aunt passed away (was expected, since she had Alzheimer's, just like my grandmother did when she passed a decade ago), and I have been soooo busy with moving! Migraines have finally stopped, thankfully, and just being alive without a headache is a joy. Besides the death in the family, it has been a great week! Thanks to everyone who prayed and sent well wishes about the migraines. Just read over all your commentary on the admissions scandal, and it was so interesting! I love my PTV family! Everyone here is so smart and interesting!

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Late to the party, but @Barb23, you are in my thoughts and prayers!!! I hate that everything is hitting you so hard all at once, and also glad you found your way back to us. I've been so busy this week. Great aunt passed away (was expected, since she had Alzheimer's, just like my grandmother did when she passed a decade ago), and I have been soooo busy with moving! Migraines have finally stopped, thankfully, and just being alive without a headache is a joy. Besides the death in the family, it has been a great week! Thanks to everyone who prayed and sent well wishes about the migraines. Just read over all your commentary on the admissions scandal, and it was so interesting! I love my PTV family! Everyone here is so smart and interesting!

Great news about your migraines!  Hope it continues ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 4

So my name is Alyce - imagine how confusing that is - doesn't seem like it.  Pronounced Alice.  When I say "Alyce with a Y" people start YAlice or Alicey.  When I spell it I say Al (pause) Y (pause) ce.  And I get, Alice, where is the Y?  What?  Spell that again.   Oy.  Sometimes I wish my name were Jane Doe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

So my name is Alyce - imagine how confusing that is - doesn't seem like it.  Pronounced Alice.  When I say "Alyce with a Y" people start YAlice or Alicey.  When I spell it I say Al (pause) Y (pause) ce.  And I get, Alice, where is the Y?  What?  Spell that again.   Oy.  Sometimes I wish my name were Jane Doe.

Wow, so many Alices/ Alyces here!!! As a child, I was OBSESSED with Alice in wonderland! I was a little blonde child that looked a lot like her, and my mom made me a costume that I would wear around the house all the time. When my mom was out of town, I wore the dress to church, out of the costume basket, and my dad will never live that down! 😂😂😂 Anyway, I'll never forget being about four or so, when we were at Myrtle Beach (Chespeake House for those of you who know the area), and I spotted a girl across the restaurant who looked just like Alice! She was probably college aged, and was beautiful, with a perfect princess face and long blonde hair. The whole meal, I begged my mom to go meet her, because I really thought she was Alice, all grown up! After we ate, my mom and I went over to her, and she was delighted! She told us that people told her she looked like alice all the time, and that she had even dressed like Alice at children's parties! She was so sweet, and I'll never forget that. I would be so happy if I'd known one day I would know so many people named Alice!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, beckie said:

My cousins middle name is Alyce but pronounced like Elise.

that was the intention of my mother but she told me she didn't like the idea of a beautiful name on a homely child!  Can you imagine?  I was a cute little tyke!

26 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

that was the intention of my mother but she told me she didn't like the idea of a beautiful name on a homely child!  Can you imagine?  I was a cute little tyke!

Even if you looked like a gargoyle, and I know you were cute, no one, especially some one so important in a child's life should ever say such a thing.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

That's awful! I happen to be one that thinks ALL babies are adorable.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Wow, so many Alices/ Alyces here!!! As a child, I was OBSESSED with Alice in wonderland! I was a little blonde child that looked a lot like her, and my mom made me a costume that I would wear around the house all the time. When my mom was out of town, I wore the dress to church, out of the costume basket, and my dad will never live that down! 😂😂😂 Anyway, I'll never forget being about four or so, when we were at Myrtle Beach (Chespeake House for those of you who know the area), and I spotted a girl across the restaurant who looked just like Alice! She was probably college aged, and was beautiful, with a perfect princess face and long blonde hair. The whole meal, I begged my mom to go meet her, because I really thought she was Alice, all grown up! After we ate, my mom and I went over to her, and she was delighted! She told us that people told her she looked like alice all the time, and that she had even dressed like Alice at children's parties! She was so sweet, and I'll never forget that. I would be so happy if I'd known one day I would know so many people named Alice!

That's funny.  As an Alice, I was never into Alice in Wonderland. Go figure. l even had platinum blonde hair in my younger years like you. I only dressed up as Alice in Wonderland one time in my life as an adult.  It was for Halloween at work & like Scarlett in GWTW, my mom made my costume  out of old curtains & a blue jumper she had. Turned out very nice. 

5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Oh you poor thing.  I just read your post to Mr.Barb & he's still chuckling.  I remember wishing my name  would have been spelled with a "y" in my middle school years when girls change around the spelling of their names.  Ex: Kacey becomes Kaci.

BTW, I was hesitant to tell my real name on my post but I'm glad I did. I sure didn't expect all these posts about Barb & Alice but it has been interesting.

My home nurse was telling me something about her mother this morning and yes, her mother's name is Barbara. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4

Just last week I found a letter that my dad wrote to his parents when I was born.  He wrote how ugly I was, and that I would probably get cuter, but it would take a long time.  My parents and I had a good laugh, but, I guess, not all parents think their babies are cute!

• LOL 4
18 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

You on Netflix is super creepy. I’m only on episode 3...

I've said it 100000 times but read the book! its by Carolyn Kepnes it's Wild! (but there is a sequel that is TRASH so skip that)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2019 at 10:04 PM, latetotheparty said:

Barb, I send you strength and healing energy. It’s not fair that everything has slammed you all at once.

Like you, I can recognize several posters just by tone and word choice, Jynnan and Churchhoney especially. 

I'm thinking that my  never-ending run on sentences and compulsive overuse of ellipses give me away! LOL

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 3/19/2019 at 10:32 PM, Christina87 said:

Awwww @Jynnan tonnix, I always love reading your posts!!!

I love reading everyone's posts too. I have to admit though, that sometimes I wish someone's "wall of text" had a few paragraphs or line breaks to make their posts less eye-crossing to read.

(I'm not naming any names) 

I'm sure I have many posting sins of my own, btw.😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Walls-o-text are one of my biggest message board pet peeves. 😁

ITA.  It's hard to wade through a half a screen or more of solid text.

• Love 6

ooooo...hope that's not something else I'm guilty of...I do try to break up my walls-o-text even when each half-wall ends up as a run-on sentence! LOL . I do try to be aware of my shortcomings - those which were already mentioned, plus my tendency to go personal with random topics and effectively make them about me. I do try to edit my posts in hopes of coming off less self-centered, but to some extent I just am who I am and just hope I'm not too annoying. It's one of things that seems kind of hard for me to gauge.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

ooooo...hope that's not something else I'm guilty of...I do try to break up my walls-o-text even when each half-wall ends up as a run-on sentence! LOL . I do try to be aware of my shortcomings - those which were already mentioned, plus my tendency to go personal with random topics and effectively make them about me. I do try to edit my posts in hopes of coming off less self-centered, but to some extent I just am who I am and just hope I'm not too annoying. It's one of things that seems kind of hard for me to gauge.

I have to really force myself not to use too many exclamation points, or emojis. It's hard sometimes to remember not to 😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Me too, but I love hearing other people's stories! There are so many varied experiences that people on here have, and I feel like hearing the stories helps me to understand the point people are making a lot of the time. Plus I like when people post better versions of Jill's recipes, or specific people (like doodlebug!) with relevant areas of expertise weigh in. Or people who have experience with big families. Learning from one another is one of my favorite parts of the board!

ETA: there is no "faux pas" that will make me dislike a poster unless they are rude, confrontational, or just too closed minded to listen to other people's point. I love you guys, quirks and all!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 12

I love the name Alice! It is definitely on its way back in.

My husband and I both have very common names and we’re fine with that. We named our daughter a very common name. We named our son, what we quickly learned, was a name that has waaaaay fallen out of fashion. Now I worry people think we were trying to be unique 😉

When I introduce them, I have learned to say my son’s name, spell it, and say it again. I used to find it annoying, until I realized people always remember his name, but they can’t remember which popular name my daughter has. It’s like how Laura and Lauren or Sophie and Sophia or Jennifer and Jessica: they start off with the right syllable but then they can’t remember how to end it and mumble. “Oh hey [old man name] and [ Lau....<mumble>]” 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Hashtags drive me crazy. I had a pretty big crush on a guy in grad school until I learned he used hashtags IN EVERYDAY SPEECH. It was insufferable. Obviously not meant to be because all the love just evaporated instantly. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 7
23 minutes ago, Zella said:

Hashtags drive me crazy. I had a pretty big crush on a guy in grad school until I learned he used hashtags IN EVERYDAY SPEECH. It was insufferable. Obviously not meant to be because all the love just evaporated instantly. 

Yeah, that would do it for me too! 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Yeah, that would do it for me too! 

He ended up marrying one of my other classmates, who was a real uberbitch. His personality changed overnight as soon as they started dating. He no longer even has a sense of humor because he now has her personality? It is weird. I feel like he was probably sketchier than I originally thought but I didn't see it at first, and I dodged a bullet. So, maybe I should thank the hashtags? 😎

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I’m not sure where to post this, but I count on y’all to give me a correction or understanding. 

Two days ago my friend called me excited because they are having a painting party for her niece’s birthday tonight.  I know the whole family. She was asked to bring enough party/finger foods for 12 people. She asked if I’d help. She enlisted my help because her budget is too low (as in she’s just bringing a bar of cream cheese for all that I’m making) and she’s not too handy in the kitchen. Her family knows me as the cook (ha ha, I’m probably just average but 100 X better than Jill Duggar). So we went over the menu with me supplying a fair bit of the food. She is coming over in 3 hours for me to do all the cooking. Think a homemade cheese ball, cream puffs, deviled eggs and caprese salad skewers. Now this should take me a few hours and then there’s clean up etc. Am I wrong to think that it’s strange that I didn’t get invited to the party although I’m doing the cooking and supplying a fair bit of the food? 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m not sure where to post this, but I count on y’all to give me a correction or understanding. 

Two days ago my friend called me excited because they are having a painting party for her niece’s birthday tonight.  I know the whole family. She was asked to bring enough party/finger foods for 12 people. She asked if I’d help. She enlisted my help because her budget is too low (as in she’s just bringing a bar of cream cheese for all that I’m making) and she’s not too handy in the kitchen. Her family knows me as the cook (ha ha, I’m probably just average but 100 X better than Jill Duggar). So we went over the menu with me supplying a fair bit of the food. She is coming over in 3 hours for me to do all the cooking. Think a homemade cheese ball, cream puffs, deviled eggs and caprese salad skewers. Now this should take me a few hours and then there’s clean up etc. Am I wrong to think that it’s strange that I didn’t get invited to the party although I’m doing the cooking and supplying a fair bit of the food? 

You are correct especially since you know the family .

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

If you are using both your time and money to make food for a party, then you should be compensated in some way--an invite, straight cash, or some other kind of gift.  

• Love 10