Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Good luck with the washing machine. Ours broke down four years ago along with the dryer, and we cannot afford new ones. I do not mind going to the laundromat unless I do not feel good or the roads and/or weather is bad.

So sorry to hear about your washing machine! Glad you have a decent laundromat nearby. I used to go to the laundromat while in grad school, and while it was fine for a while, it all went downhill when I caught the attention of a super creepy employee there. His hygiene was...not good...and he would come bother me the second I got there, leering at me creepily, and try to hang out with me the whole time I was there. It's a bad situation, because you're kind of stuck there, and even bringing homework didn't deter him. If by some miracle he decided to respect that I was reading, he would come sweep the floor and clean the machines right in my area, which would constantly involve me getting up and moving. Finally, I tried to fill the downtime with swinging by the grocery store, but it's almost impossible to time everything perfectly! I was sooooo happy after my last trip there!

Life update: moving is almost complete! I had a delightful experience today with the most personable movers, and all my stuff is here now! I've spent the day organizing everything now that I have my furniture, and it is really starting to come together! I'm going to spend the next two days cleaning my apartment, and then try to finish up for the most part by the end of the week. I need my weekends free for March Madness (in NC it's no joke, even though UNC and Duke both lost!) and I hope to get back to full time job searching next week. An elementary music job in the area came open for next year, and I'm going to work on my application tonight...fingers crossed! I don't really want to go back to middle school, but I think my personality would be better suited to elementary. I'm so glad that this move is going to be finished soon. I've been sleeping here for about two weeks, and the stuff everywhere is driving me completely crazy! I'm really psyched about the day that it becomes a clean, well-organized, clutter-free house!

ALSO...we need a new dishwasher! What kind of dishwashers do you guys have? Is there one you particularly love? It's such a big decision to make, because you can't exactly try it out first!

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

So sorry to hear about your washing machine! Glad you have a decent laundromat nearby. I used to go to the laundromat while in grad school, and while it was fine for a while, it all went downhill when I caught the attention of a super creepy employee there. His hygiene was...not good...and he would come bother me the second I got there, leering at me creepily, and try to hang out with me the whole time I was there. It's a bad situation, because you're kind of stuck there, and even bringing homework didn't deter him. If by some miracle he decided to respect that I was reading, he would come sweep the floor and clean the machines right in my area, which would constantly involve me getting up and moving. Finally, I tried to fill the downtime with swinging by the grocery store, but it's almost impossible to time everything perfectly! I was sooooo happy after my last trip there!

Life update: moving is almost complete! I had a delightful experience today with the most personable movers, and all my stuff is here now! I've spent the day organizing everything now that I have my furniture, and it is really starting to come together! I'm going to spend the next two days cleaning my apartment, and then try to finish up for the most part by the end of the week. I need my weekends free for March Madness (in NC it's no joke, even though UNC and Duke both lost!) and I hope to get back to full time job searching next week. An elementary music job in the area came open for next year, and I'm going to work on my application tonight...fingers crossed! I don't really want to go back to middle school, but I think my personality would be better suited to elementary. I'm so glad that this move is going to be finished soon. I've been sleeping here for about two weeks, and the stuff everywhere is driving me completely crazy! I'm really psyched about the day that it becomes a clean, well-organized, clutter-free house!

ALSO...we need a new dishwasher! What kind of dishwashers do you guys have? Is there one you particularly love? It's such a big decision to make, because you can't exactly try it out first!

Creepy dudes are THE WORST. The literal worst. This is my mom’s dishwasher. Frigidaire Gallery  

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, Christina87 said:

I've had good luck with Whirlpool dishwashers. My current one - bought last year is a Kenmore Elite, bought at Sears, but it's manufactured by Whirlpool.

My old Whirlpool dishwasher died in 2017 after 12 years of service, and considering I bought it from the "scratch and dent" discount room at a local appliance dealer, I figured I got my money's worth.

I washed dishes by hand for a year, then when I was finally tired of that I went to Sears and bought this one. I didn't go for the cheapest model or the most expensive. I like the feel of this one - it feels solid when opening/closing the door. And OMG it is EERILY quiet when in operation. 

Edited by Jeeves
wrong year
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Creepy dudes are THE WORST. The literal worst. This is my mom’s dishwasher. Frigidaire Gallery  

Omg yes!!! This dude and the kissing delivery man should be BFF's!!! Btw...seen him anymore?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Checking in on the dishwasher convo. We are remodeling our kitchen (YES!) and we are buying a dishwasher because we have to. We haven’t used ours in like a million years because it’s only me and Husband. So I use it to store my cast iron pans. No idea what to buy!

• Love 2

We had to replace the dishwasher shortly after buying our townhouse in 2006, and we ended up at Best Buy and got a Frigidaire.  That thing is so damn loud, it's not funny.  There's nothing really wrong with it, so I don't feel the need to replace it.  The urge is there though.  My inlaws have a Bosch, and they love it.  It is crazy quiet to the point it can't be heard when sitting in the living room. In the last 5 months, we had to get a new car (lease on previous one ended), a new fridge (it was nearly dead), and a new laptop for me (that was just dying a slow death).   I was able to get a price adjustment on the laptop on Saturday and saved $212, which was a nice surprise.  I just can't help but wonder what will be next. 

• Love 1

Don’t laugh... I bought my first iPhone. It’s the 6s plus, but at least it’s new and I can listen to my music at the gym. My iPod worked for 4 years before it died.  iPod and iPhone cost the same so I got an iPhone. 

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Omg yes!!! This dude and the kissing delivery man should be BFF's!!! Btw...seen him anymore?

Yes. Ugh. Last week I wanted to go heat up my soup but he arrived. I stayed at my desk because I didn’t know what would happen if we ran into each other in the break room (where the water is stored, along with the microwaves). 

I’m not surprised how things have gone. 

Im so glad he has not tried to speak to me again. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Don’t laugh... I bought my first iPhone. It’s the 6s plus, but at least it’s new and I can listen to my music at the gym. My iPod worked for 4 years before it died.  iPod and iPhone cost the same so I got an iPhone. 

Yay! 

On dishwashers: Bosch. The quietest and most effective I have ever owned. We had  Kenmore Elite previously but with Sears' current issues I would definitely not buy from them.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I need my weekends free for March Madness (in NC it's no joke, even though UNC and Duke both lost!)

So true! Though I've lived in Arkansas for years, my family is originally from NC, and though none of us particularly like basketball, we're automatically obsessed with any NC team advancing during March Madness and stay interested until they're eliminated or win. We're back to being apathetic now that Duke is out and will collectively remain that way until next March. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, jcbrown said:

On dishwashers: Bosch. The quietest and most effective I have ever owned. We had  Kenmore Elite previously but with Sears' current issues I would definitely not buy from them.

Agree about the Bosch.  

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

When we bought this house a little over six years ago, it had a dishwasher (don't recall the make at the moment) which was fairly new to the house. It died about a year and a half later, and we ended up buying a Frigidaire, which had issues from six months in...we got service done on it within the warrantee period, and even pro-rated for things that came up after that, but  by the time it was only a little over two years old, we just decided it was a lemon and washed our hands of it. Because right at that time finances were a little tight, we decided on a mid-range Whirlpool, which has (knock wood) worked great thus far. But I'd really rather have had a Bosch similar to the one we put in when we spiffied up the kitchen of our previous house.

The string of houses we owned while Mr. Jyn was in the Navy were all semi-fixer-uppers - not flips, exactly, but things we could expect to make a decent profit on if we had to sell two or three years later which needed moderate to fairly extensive cosmetics. Of course, that resulted in the homes only getting to the stage that we had envisioned about in time to put them on the market. It did work, though. Most ended up selling for above the asking price, and even the one we had to sell during the depths of the housing crash was only on the market for a month. Which has nothing to do with dishwashers, per se, but I do always tend to ramble on...

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 4
On 3/31/2019 at 10:31 PM, awaken said:

Not sure exactly where this fits, but posting in small talk to be safe!  I read another interesting article on medical missions on NPR that I thought others might find interesting:  https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/03/27/656172038/is-it-time-to-rethink-the-fly-in-medical-mission

Reminds me of a saying. 

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. 

Teach a man to fish and he eats for life. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My door latch showed an error once, and I stuck the head of a screw driver in it and wiggled it back and forth, sort of prying it apart. The error message went away and all was well.

Once in a while my washer simply won't turn on. I push the button and nothing happens. I unplug it, walk away for a few minutes, plug it back in and it works just fine. It's always in the middle of doing several loads of laundry (it's never the first load of the day), so I think it just wants a break. @Scarlett45, I hope that's all your washer needs.

• Love 4
(edited)

ya all i was so scared today. i live in a very religious quiet neighborhood. from last night to today helicopters overhead,  cop cars everywhere, 50+ cops everywhere. i almost had a heart attack from fear (terrorist threat). turns out a very prominent religious person died... of old age... geez.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

ya all i was so scared today. i live in a very religious quiet neighborhood. from last night to today helicopters overhead,  cop cars everywhere, 50+ cops everywhere. i almost had a heart attack from fear (terrorist threat). turns out a very prominent religious person died... of old age... geez.

I’m glad everything was okay. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Agree about the Bosch.  

Me too, they have an excellent reputation.  I had one in the past and was very happy with it.  I have a brand new electronic one with all the gizmos since remodeling my kitchen a while back; I think most of the stuff is unnecessary.

• Love 3

We bought a home with a Bosch. Even after I cleaned out the trap (disgusting) a couple times, the dishwasher always would get moldy. Replaced with a Miele. I don’t remember why the appliance store said Bosch dishwashers will do that. A feature I love with the new dishwasher - a narrow top rack to lay the cutlery flat. Don’t have a basket for them that takes up space in the bottom. There’s still room for cups and bowls in the next rack (even tall ones) and plates and platters in the bottom. 

Also, years ago a repairman said only use a Tablespoon worth of detergent. The receptacle makes it seem like you should fill it up and that would be so much more than is needed. Too much soap and the machine has to work too hard to remove the suds. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, lilwhitelion said:

We bought a home with a Bosch. Even after I cleaned out the trap (disgusting) a couple times, the dishwasher always would get moldy. Replaced with a Miele. I don’t remember why the appliance store said Bosch dishwashers will do that. A feature I love with the new dishwasher - a narrow top rack to lay the cutlery flat. Don’t have a basket for them that takes up space in the bottom. There’s still room for cups and bowls in the next rack (even tall ones) and plates and platters in the bottom. 

Also, years ago a repairman said only use a Tablespoon worth of detergent. The receptacle makes it seem like you should fill it up and that would be so much more than is needed. Too much soap and the machine has to work too hard to remove the suds. 

Hmm interesting. Our Bosch has that third rack too. We also have to be careful not to use pods that make too many suds. 

• Love 1

My old dishwasher had the cutlery baskets in the door, which I found really convenient. I'd have liked that again, but I had a number of things on my wish list of features, and ended up having to compromise on that one. I don't think I'd seen one with a third top rack for cutlery, but maybe they were higher end? As I said, after having the previous dishwasher give up after a couple of years (and having heard installers talk about how pitiful the lifespan of a dishwasher seems to be these days), we figured we'd go cheaper and a bit more basic...Maybe there's less stuff to go wrong with the simpler ones, and if they still give up the ghost as soon as the warrantee runs out, at least you are not out quite as much. We've also begun getting extended warrantees on appliances since then, which we never used to bother with as things seemed to last a lot longer than they do now.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My old dishwasher had the cutlery baskets in the door, which I found really convenient. I'd have liked that again, but I had a number of things on my wish list of features, and ended up having to compromise on that one. I don't think I'd seen one with a third top rack for cutlery, but maybe they were higher end? As I said, after having the previous dishwasher give up after a couple of years (and having heard installers talk about how pitiful the lifespan of a dishwasher seems to be these days), we figured we'd go cheaper and a bit more basic...Maybe there's less stuff to go wrong with the simpler ones, and if they still give up the ghost as soon as the warrantee runs out, at least you are not out quite as much. We've also begun getting extended warrantees on appliances since then, which we never used to bother with as things seemed to last a lot longer than they do now.

Have you thought about getting insurance on your appliances? Whe!n I lived in a house I had it. You pay a certain amount each month and is something goes wrong they replace the appliance. I don't remember how much s month but when we had it our fridge and the the stove stopped working and they replaced them.

7 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Have you thought about getting insurance on your appliances? Whe!n I lived in a house I had it. You pay a certain amount each month and is something goes wrong they replace the appliance. I don't remember how much s month but when we had it our fridge and the the stove stopped working and they replaced them.

I recently look out home warranty insurance.  My plan covers repair and replacement, when necessary, of appliances, the A/C unit, water heater and pipes running under the house.  Price depends on zip code, but mine is under $40 per month.  You pay a set price for the service call, and they repair it if possible.  If they can't get parts, or it is beyond repair, they replace it.  They contract with local plumbers and repair people. My brother has had good luck using his insurance and recommended it to me.  I am most worried about the A/C system, which I know will quit sooner rather than later. 

• Love 1

I have a dishwasher. Its name is PikaScrewChu.

I cannot wait to move into a place with an actual dishwasher. I batch cook on Sundays so I don't have too many dishes to worry about. Dishes drive me nuts. I gave in for a while and was just using paper plates and forks.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I cannot wait to move into a place with an actual dishwasher. I batch cook on Sundays so I don't have too many dishes to worry about. Dishes drive me nuts. I gave in for a while and was just using paper plates and forks.

Hahahaha! Our dishwasher was broken for about two months at the beginning of the year before my husband fixed it. I did nothing but wash dishes. 

You said you batch cook on Sundays. You wouldn’t happen to be a Dirty Girl would you? (Batching meal plans on Sundays is popular the Clean Food Dirty Girl whole food plant based crowd)

3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I recently look out home warranty insurance.  My plan covers repair and replacement, when necessary, of appliances, the A/C unit, water heater and pipes running under the house.  Price depends on zip code, but mine is under $40 per month.  You pay a set price for the service call, and they repair it if possible.  If they can't get parts, or it is beyond repair, they replace it.  They contract with local plumbers and repair people. My brother has had good luck using his insurance and recommended it to me.  I am most worried about the A/C system, which I know will quit sooner rather than later. 

We had a home warrantee that came free for a year with our previous house. I guess we must have kept it up, because we did use it when the a/c blew out during our second year there, but I don't recall ever paying premiums...maybe it was part of the mortgage or something? It certainly did come in handy that one time. I do feel as though my mind is going now, though!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Oh gosh, I hear you! My first apartment, in grad school, had no dishwasher either. I cringe to think about it now! Idk how I didn't spend all day doing dishes!

question to those who have a bosch: I really like what I see online. The only thing I've seen that would annoy the bejesus out of me is apparently there's an alarm that doesn't go off until you open it? Does yours have that, and if so, how annoying is it?

Officially turned in my apartment keys today! Very bittersweet. I didn't cry, much to my surprise, but it's always sad to close the door for the last time on a place you love. I've been living at my friend's for almost three weeks now though, and feel right at home! I'm excited for this chapter, but it's always hard to say the last goodbye!

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

question to those who have a bosch: I really like what I see online. The only thing I've seen that would annoy the bejesus out of me is apparently there's an alarm that doesn't go off until you open it? Does yours have that, and if so, how annoying is it?

I don't know anything about an alarm. Mine has a light that goes on while it is running and does a series of three, then two, then one beeps to tell you when it is done. Not intrusive at all. Ours is about four years old, though, so maybe they've "advanced"?

Now if you want to know about the Samsung washer and dryer that both play the EXACT SAME TUNE when they are done and can only be configured to do either that or make no noise, we can have a conversation.

• LOL 2

Hey y’all!  I’ve been reading the posts but just that.  I’m on vacay with the whole entire compound (16 of us altogether) in Destin.  All the pet pins are killing me - no pets on this trip.  But the guys at the shop gave us a week at an RV resort (also in destin) for Christmas this year.  We dropped the trailer on the way down and will move to the Rv park next week.  (To recover, my husband says, only half joking).  I talked my pet sitter into meeting us halfway on Sunday so we can have the dogs at the campground.  I’m going to be so so so excited to get my hands on them.  

One of those babies is 11, and a total mutt, but the best dog who ever lived.  I mean it, he’s like Rin Tin Tin.  Total DUDE.  I can’t even describe how it hurts my heart to leave him behind - he’s OLD and has no idea what he’s done to be abandoned.  I have 2 other dogs, and I ADORE them all, but the Dude Dog... he’s that dog who makes eye contact and studies your face because whatever it is you want him to do is exactly what he wants to do.  He hates a bath, none of our dogs love water much.  And yet, when we go in the bathroom and I say, “come’on, jump in”, he jumps right in the tub.  Ears back, eyes accusing, but he jumps in every single time.  I love that dog.

F72B06F8-E2F7-41CB-B52E-147B228E4648.jpeg

379E0901-B066-47C2-AA55-34AC6A525566.jpeg

EC502663-BAE8-4F9B-A591-39CB98A158D3.jpeg

• Love 20

All this chat about dishwashers reminds me of this small story. 

My SIL’s uncle has donkeys. They are so pet like that they can roam around the property. Even if he puts them in their corral, they’ll escape if they think something is wrong or there is better grass to eat somewhere else on the land.  They know who belongs on the farm and who doesn’t. His wife called Sears to get a repair to her dishwasher. She took the day off work to meet him. She waited and waited. Finally she got a phone call. He was there, but the donkeys wouldn’t let the strange male in the strange van get out.  So she went out to escort him in with the donkeys following ready to nip at any minute. She had to escort him back out as well, as they had stayed at the porch steps the whole time he was inside. Guard donkeys. We laugh every time this story is told. She tells it much better than I did. 

• LOL 17
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I don't know anything about an alarm. Mine has a light that goes on while it is running and does a series of three, then two, then one beeps to tell you when it is done. Not intrusive at all. Ours is about four years old, though, so maybe they've "advanced"?

Now if you want to know about the Samsung washer and dryer that both play the EXACT SAME TUNE when they are done and can only be configured to do either that or make no noise, we can have a conversation.

My rice cooker plays a cutsie tune when it starts and a different tune when finished.  I happen to love the tune.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Ours is about 3.5 years old.  There is a red light on the bottom that is on when the machine is running.  I think it beeps a time or two when it is done, and that's that.  It's very quiet while it is running.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

For those who haven't had the pleasure, here is the song the Samsung washer and dryer plays: 

Sadly, it is a bastardized version of this song by Schubert: 

I have that same washer/drier. I had to google looking for what the song was when we first got it, just out of curiosity. It was amazing how many hits came back just from Googling "Samsung washer song". 

I actually find it kind of cute and jaunty, if nothing like the Schubert original. Most everyone else seems to find it annoying. I guess I have a pretty high tolerance for things like that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

For those who haven't had the pleasure, here is the song the Samsung washer and dryer plays: 

Sadly, it is a bastardized version of this song by Schubert: 

Oh my god, I heard that song in Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows. Moriarty is playing it as he tortures Holmes. I played it just now to hear it and Mr. Toast perked up and said, "That's from that Sherlock Holmes movie." (I love Sherlock Holmes and Jared Harris was a fantastic Moriarty. RDJ and Jude Law....less so. Book Holmes is still my favorite.)

• Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Oh my god, I heard that song in Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows. Moriarty is playing it as he tortures Holmes. I played it just now to hear it and Mr. Toast perked up and said, "That's from that Sherlock Holmes movie." (I love Sherlock Holmes and Jared Harris was a fantastic Moriarty. RDJ and Jude Law....less so. Book Holmes is still my favorite.)

I'm sure it is better in the Holmes movie. The most annoying thing is that you can either set the song to play or set the appliances to not notify you at all when a load is done. I am not an appliance designer but it seems like you might want at least one other option for appliances you actually hope people will buy in pairs. I've almost made a game out of trying to get them to shut up before they go through the whole song.

ETA maybe one reason I get annoyed by it (besides the fact that they both play the same notification) is that I used to be a musician and am very susceptible to getting melodies stuck in my head. I have actually woken up in the morning with the damnable Samsung version stuck in my head.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

Jared Harris was a fantastic Moriarty. 

Jared Harris is always awesome. I've long avoided those movies. Now knowing he's in them makes me feel conflicted. :S

• Love 1
(edited)

Guys!!!!! That was a song we used to do in little kids' ballet. It was called "Lovely Ballerinas!" I wonder if my dance instructor even knew it was Schubert; probably not! She started teaching in 1945, and had a live pianist until 2003. She did the same 20-30 childrens' songs, basically, rotating them every year. There were probably about enough little kid classes to do about half of them in one recital. Anyway, I always wondered where they got the songs. I bet they were in some little ballet / tap accompaniment book from the early 40's, and most of the songs have remained obscure. A few of the songs were also Shirley temple songs, as both women grew up in that era. There was also this song called "Cotton Candy" that was in nearly every recital, that she had a record of, and it had the weirdest lyrics. Shirley Temple style song for sure. 

Anyway, so glad you posted this!!! I love hearing any of the childhood dance songs, because I have about 15 years of memories with them, first as a child, and then as an assistant. After the pianist died, I went back and recorded some of the songs straight off the recitals and onto a cassette tape (later on a CD) to play when i taught the little kids, because it was weird using other kinds of music. 

Weirdly enough, this song is also in the sixth sense! I saw that movie recently, and couldn't believe "Lovely Ballerinas" was playing in the background!

dang it...now I want an appliance with that tone!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Zella said:

Jared Harris is always awesome. I've long avoided those movies. Now knowing he's in them makes me feel conflicted. :S

Harris is only in the second one, A Game of Shadows. It's not the best movie, if I'm honest, but he's awesome in it. Also awesome in that movie is Stephen Fry as Mycroft. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

Harris is only in the second one, A Game of Shadows. It's not the best movie, if I'm honest, but he's awesome in it. Also awesome in that movie is Stephen Fry as Mycroft. 

Ah okay thank you!

This is so random and freaky, but does anyone else feel like the Internet is reading our minds?

Last night I was thinking about getting one of those scented oil diffusers for my bedroom and today a whole bunch of them showed up in my "recommended for you" list on Amazon. I hadn't done any Google searching or made similar purchases prior to that, so wtf? Maybe it's just one heck of a coincidence but I feel like we're somehow being spied on. *exits chat to construct tinfoil hat*

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

This is so random and freaky, but does anyone else feel like the Internet is reading our minds?

Last night I was thinking about getting one of those scented oil diffusers for my bedroom and today a whole bunch of them showed up in my "recommended for you" list on Amazon. I hadn't done any Google searching or made similar purchases prior to that, so wtf? Maybe it's just one heck of a coincidence but I feel like we're somehow being spied on. *exits chat to construct tinfoil hat*

I've had this happen as well.  Might have mentioned something about it to someone, but didn't do any kind of internet search for it.  Someone I barely know came up in discussion one time, and later she showed up as one of the "friend" suggestions on FB.  

I do think our devices, to an extent, are listening to us.  Scary.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MonicaM said:

I've had this happen as well.  Might have mentioned something about it to someone, but didn't do any kind of internet search for it.  Someone I barely know came up in discussion one time, and later she showed up as one of the "friend" suggestions on FB.  

I do think our devices, to an extent, are listening to us.  Scary.

Any device with a speaker is listening to you especially any home device like Alexa or Google Home.  Then your phone is also recording you.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It happened to me with Instagram.  Go into your settings and turn off the microphone from each apps.  Instagram listens to you and tailors ads so I imagine that other apps do as well. 

• Love 2