Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I was going through old photos, and check out this picture of me in 1992 😎 I would have fit right in with the Duggar line up! 

E8B7B1A9-4D2A-4C74-BF16-CBEA8A02DC8F.jpeg

Somewhere in my mothers bedroom are pictures of her, my younger sister and I in some horrible 90s country chic dresses with matching turtlecks.  Like something Michelle would have loved.   I am biding my time until I can destroy those.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Both daughters have withdrawn from USC.

The news has stated that pretty much none of the kids involved knew what their parents were doing. Which means they and the rest of the world have learned that their parents don't think they're smart enough to get into a "good" university/college on their own merits. I don't generally feel sorry for rich, entitled kids, but that has to be pretty dang embarrassing.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

The news has stated that pretty much none of the kids involved knew what their parents were doing. Which means they and the rest of the world have learned that their parents don't think they're smart enough to get into a "good" university/college on their own merits. I don't generally feel sorry for rich, entitled kids, but that has to be pretty dang embarrassing.

That seems to be the general narrative in the coverage, but the complaint reveals that several of them did know. That being said, some of the stuff the parents were taped saying about their kids were horribly demeaning and I do feel sorry for the kids on that. To find out your parent felt that way about you would be bad enough, but for it to be broadcast for everyone to know? Ouch.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wasn't there a picture of the Duggar-bots dressed in red and white outfits during Boob's Senate run?

S

Yes!  And we all wondered who the extra girl in red was.  Now we know!

• LOL 9
7 hours ago, Zella said:

That seems to be the general narrative in the coverage, but the complaint reveals that several of them did know. That being said, some of the stuff the parents were taped saying about their kids were horribly demeaning and I do feel sorry for the kids on that. To find out your parent felt that way about you would be bad enough, but for it to be broadcast for everyone to know? Ouch.  

Loughlin's daughters got into USC by pretending they were talented members of a high school crew team who planned to join the college crew.  Apparently, both of them posed in skulls (the boats for crew) wearing team uniforms for pictures to be submitted with their applications.  If they didn't think there was something fishy about that, then they are even dumber than we thought.  Both of them have now withdrawn from USC, ostensibly because they are worried about bullying.  I dunno, I think if you're a cheater and someone calls you out on it; it is not so much bullying as honesty.  But, I suppose they're beyond being embarrassed at this point.

Felicity Huffman's kid actually had a 400 point improvement in her SAT's from the first time she took them with no help to the second where she got extra time and then the so-called proctor went back and corrected some of her wrong answers.  Once again, if she really thought she'd done that much better without any specific preparation; she must be pretty dumb.

There are also FBI transcripts where people talk about the fake proctors sitting down next to the kid taking the test and going over the questions and answering them right then and there rather than going back later.

I think that, while it might not be provable, a lot of these kids did know their parents put the fix in for them to go to the college of their choice.  It's the fact that most of the kids were minors and it was the parent writing the checks that got the kids off the hook, IMO.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't have much sympathy for Loughlin's "influencer" daughter who said she was just doing college for the parties.

And then accepted a spot while thousands of others who worked for years and wanted the education were denied.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Loughlin's daughters got into UCLA by pretending they were talented members of a high school crew team who planned to join the college crew.  Apparently, both of them posed in skulls (the boats for crew) wearing team uniforms for pictures to be submitted with their applications.  If they didn't think there was something fishy about that, then they are even dumber than we thought.  Both of them have now withdrawn from UCLA, ostensibly because they are worried about bullying.  I dunno, I think if you're a cheater and someone calls you out on it; it is not so much bullying as honesty.  But, I suppose they're beyond being embarrassed at this point.

Felicity Huffman's kid actually had a 400 point improvement in her SAT's from the first time she took them with no help to the second where she got extra time and then the so-called proctor went back and corrected some of her wrong answers.  Once again, if she really thought she'd done that much better without any specific preparation; she must be pretty dumb.

There are also FBI transcripts where people talk about the fake proctors sitting down next to the kid taking the test and going over the questions and answering them right then and there rather than going back later.

I think that, while it might not be provable, a lot of these kids did know their parents put the fix in for them to go to the college of their choice.  It's the fact that most of the kids were minors and it was the parent writing the checks that got the kids off the hook, IMO.

And surely they knew that they did not write their own college essays.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Loughlin's daughters got into UCLA by pretending they were talented members of a high school crew team who planned to join the college crew.  Apparently, both of them posed in skulls (the boats for crew) wearing team uniforms for pictures to be submitted with their applications.  If they didn't think there was something fishy about that, then they are even dumber than we thought.  Both of them have now withdrawn from UCLA, ostensibly because they are worried about bullying.  I dunno, I think if you're a cheater and someone calls you out on it; it is not so much bullying as honesty.  But, I suppose they're beyond being embarrassed at this point.

Exactly! From what I saw, I think it was a fairly small portion who probably did not know. I think a lot of the kids were aware, even if they didn't actively engage. The posing for pictures to be faked seemed particularly egregious to me. 

I did see where one kid was confused by his being listed as a track athlete and was asking his academic adviser about it. So, I think he was probably oblivious to his parents' scheming on that. But it also indicates to me that he didn't complete or even read his own admissions application since it was part of his application! 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And surely they knew that they did not write their own college essays.

The younger daughter was in it up to her ears.  Apparently, her high school guidance counselor reviewed her application to USC, saw the photos and information claiming that she was excited to try out for crew as a walk on like her sister and the counselor questioned her about it since she wasn't on the high school team and this was the first anyone in the guidance office heard about it.  The kid went to her parents and there are multiple emails between Lori and the guy who ran the scam and his various minions referring to 'our little friend' and wanting to be sure that this person couldn't blow the whistle and mess up the plan. Singer reassured her, he arranged for someone at his office to submit the application so her daughter wouldn't have to deal with the guidance counselor.  His inside contact in the athletic department contacted her to tell her to have her daughters stay consistent, insist that they loved the sport and everything would be ok.  Lori's husband contacted the suspicious guidance counselor and assured her that both of his daughters were crew fanatics, competed with various local clubs all the time and were good enough to make the college team.  The guidance counselor, after the snow job, actually sent an email apologizing for the misunderstanding and thanking him for being so understanding and clearing things up.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

I think most of the kids knew they got in not on their own merits.  

Lori Lochlin should have given $500,000 to her kids to start their own business. Or save it for college later. The kids might have wanted to go in a few years. 

Must suck to be publicly humiliated like that. Internet is for forever. But the kids are so rich it won’t affect their future like the small regular people.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I think most of the kids knew they got in not on their own merits.  

Lori Lochlin should have given $500,000 to her kids to start their own business. Or save it for college later. The kids might have wanted to go in a few years. 

Must suck to be publicly humiliated like that. Internet is for forever. But the kids are so rich it won’t affect their future like the small regular people.

I think Loughlin's younger daughter wasn't interested in an education, but was very interested in her 'brand' as an internet influencer.  I think she enrolled in college only to get more advertisers for her You Tube channel and to attract followers.  She had about 2 million followers which should have given her a very nice 6 figure income without her parents' help.  However, her advertisers need her to produce content to sell their merchandise and she was shilling for a lot of stuff aimed at college students.  For example, she lived in the dorm and Amazon decorated the room for her and she put up a video tour of her room pointing out all the amazing stuff Amazon has for college dorm rooms.  I think she wanted USC because of its size and popularity to bring in more followers.  For her, enrolling at USC was a career move in and of itself, going to class and studying would interfere with her real job.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

No, it was UCLA.  Although it is s state school, it is very popular and receives far more applications for admission than can be accepted.  Partly, it's because it is very good academically, but it is also well located near the more exclusive areas of LA and has become known for it's partying and social life; so the kids of the rich and famous flock to it.  The current acceptance rate is only 17%, which is comparable to a lot of very good private schools.

Then my news crawl was wrong this morning. That and everything else I've read said that Lough!in's daughters went to USC.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Then my news crawl was wrong this morning. That and everything else I've read said that Lough!in's daughters went to USC.

All the online stories I read said USC too.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sorry, you're right, I had it backwards. I corrected it.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Loughlin's daughters got into USC by pretending they were talented members of a high school crew team who planned to join the college crew.  Apparently, both of them posed in skulls (the boats for crew) wearing team uniforms for pictures to be submitted with their applications.  If they didn't think there was something fishy about that, then they are even dumber than we thought.  Both of them have now withdrawn from USC, ostensibly because they are worried about bullying.  I dunno, I think if you're a cheater and someone calls you out on it; it is not so much bullying as honesty.  But, I suppose they're beyond being embarrassed at this point.

This so called reason they dropped out made me angrier than the initial scandal.  I saw a  Youtube clip of one of the daughters stating she didn't care about school, and that she was mainly interested in the parties and social scene.  There's clear evidence that both daughters helped falsify their entire admission process. 

But of course they couldn't say they were dropping out because they were caught lying and cheating.  They claimed to be afraid of getting bullied, so I guess it's the fault of the other students that they quit?  Poor little rich girl victims.  🤢

I wonder how rich they will be after all the television and endorsement money has stopped, and they've paid all the legal fees and fines.  Despite the public humiliation, I have a feeling this particular family would have to be dead broke before they truly learned any lessons.  And even then they'd blame others for their downfall.

• Love 15

Sending thoughts and prayers your way, Barb!

And I know what you mean about some of the other forums. Some of them can be a bit impersonal. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I come across my fellow Duggar snarkers on other boards here, though. Earlier this year, I loved seeing how many of you are also on the Victoria and The Crown boards. 

Binge-watching another show now and I don't think the forum has early episode discussion, so I haven't checked it out yet. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to go into so much detail but it has made me feel better doing this post. Thanks for your prayers & thoughts. They mean alot 

From one hurting Barb to another,  I thought I'd post a little humor.

"CHRONIC ILLNESS BINGO

What better to lighten the mood than a game? Next time you are at a gathering with friends or relatives that give you a hard time, simply bring this card and play Chronic Illness BINGO… see if you can fill a line, or even the whole board. You get to check off a space every time someone says one of these things to you." 😁

(I'm sure I've said some of this stuff to other people when I was young and healthy, and trying to be sympathetic, btw.)

Ps..I think our name is just about obsolete....I can't remember the last time I heard of a baby "Barbara." ❤

Screenshot_20190316-224952.jpg

• LOL 8
  • Love 12

Barb23, hang in there. I hope the meds build up in your system quickly and you get some relief. 

ChiCricket, that bingo cracked me up! As someone with autoimmune disease, I can almost fill up that entire card, lol!

• Love 7

@Barb23, you absolutely have all my well wishes and healing thoughts, too. I really hope the new medicines give you relief.

I feel the same about this Small Talk group and our mods. It is an especially caring and empathetic group. And, I think so smart. I learn so much. When the PTV forums go down for updates or problems, this is the group I miss most.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

From one hurting Barb to another,  I thought I'd post a little humor.

"CHRONIC ILLNESS BINGO

What better to lighten the mood than a game? Next time you are at a gathering with friends or relatives that give you a hard time, simply bring this card and play Chronic Illness BINGO… see if you can fill a line, or even the whole board. You get to check off a space every time someone says one of these things to you." 😁

(I'm sure I've said some of this stuff to other people when I was young and healthy, and trying to be sympathetic, btw.)

Ps..I think our name is just about obsolete....I can't remember the last time I heard of a baby "Barbara." ❤

Screenshot_20190316-224952.jpg

Perfect! Do you get to hit people over the head with it each time you get a bingo? 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

Thank you all for your prayers & well wishes. I think they are already working. 

@ChiCricket OMG, I'm still chuckling at the Bingo.  Like @emma675 I can fill up the card easily.  But I know I have meant well & said some of those things to others too.

My MIL is good at some of them even tho she thinks she means well.  You would think because she has serious back problems with plenty of pain, she could relate but not so.  Moving around & walking helps her pain so she doesn't understand that doesn't often work for me & rest works better.  My favorite from her is that she says I look well or my color is good like I have had the stomach bug & not a chronic illness. I know some days I feel worse than others but I try to put on a happy face & don't  think I look washed out like I have had the flu. Lol.  I know she means well & it's become an inside joke between me & my son of what she says when she sees me.

@andromeda331  there are times when I feel like hitting someone over the head when I hear one of the Bingo blocks.

@ChiCricket I  have to make a confession.  My real name isn't Barb or Barbara. The name came about as a mean girl type of persona I made up for myself years ago when I worked as a medical receptionist in a doctor's office.  I pulled it out of nowhere.  Barb became like the imaginary friend kids have who do all the bad & mean things they wished they could do but don't. 

I understand where you are coming from with the name Barb because I consider my real name, Alice, an "older" name too. I was named after my mother's great aunt & dont think I've ever come across a baby Alice.

• Love 9

@Barb23 I’m sorry to read that you are struggling with your health and healing. Feel better soon, hugs, and purrs from the Mindthinkr kitties. 

I also love this thread. People here are so kind and generous with their thoughts and well wishes. People like y’all are rarely found IRL. I treasure all of you and keep you in my positive thoughts and prayers. None of us need to struggle alone.

Be well. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Thank you all for your prayers & well wishes. I think they are already working. 

@ChiCricket OMG, I'm still chuckling at the Bingo.  Like @emma675 I can fill up the card easily.  But I know I have meant well & said some of those things to others too.

My MIL is good at some of them even tho she thinks she means well.  You would think because she has serious back problems with plenty of pain, she could relate but not so.  Moving around & walking helps her pain so she doesn't understand that doesn't often work for me & rest works better.  My favorite from her is that she says I look well or my color is good like I have had the stomach bug & not a chronic illness. I know some days I feel worse than others but I try to put on a happy face & don't  think I look washed out like I have had the flu. Lol.  I know she means well & it's become an inside joke between me & my son of what she says when she sees me.

@andromeda331  there are times when I feel like hitting someone over the head when I hear one of the Bingo blocks.

@ChiCricket I  have to make a confession.  My real name isn't Barb or Barbara. The name came about as a mean girl type of persona I made up for myself years ago when I worked as a medical receptionist in a doctor's office.  I pulled it out of nowhere.  Barb became like the imaginary friend kids have who do all the bad & mean things they wished they could do but don't. 

I understand where you are coming from with the name Barb because I consider my real name, Alice, an "older" name too. I was named after my mother's great aunt & dont think I've ever come across a baby Alice.

I love your name. I haven’t seen a baby Alice but I have two 30-ish friends with that name; one Soottish, one British. 

• Love 7

Example of the audacity of rude people. 

I’m currently at my god sister G’s baby shower. 

Quote of the Day from my God Mother’s friend F who my Mom has never liked. (My Mom is at home with my sister as it’s impossible to find a caregiver on Sundays for her)

“If you’re a vegetarian what’s the reason for (gestures hands on hips to indicate girth)”
I said I was using my waist to guess G’s pregnant waist as G is very slim and now all baby (this was one of the baby shower games). 

“The reason I’m fat? I’ve always been fat. Eating more calories than you burn does that.” (Mind you she’s known me my entire life as a fat person, since I was two years old- I’m now 33)  

This is the funny part, the SHE got all embarrassed and speechless, WINCED and said “How’s your sister (the one my Mom is at home with)?!!!”

1. This is funny because my Mom cannot stand this woman and if she were here she would be beating her with her cane.

2. She’s been looking at me 33 years, did she think she was going to fat shame me when I’ve always been fat?!! 

3. Now SHES embarrassed???

People are rich!

My Mom cannot stand her although they are both super tight with my God mother. You can imagine the exchanges though the years. 

Look lady just cause you’re really skinny at 70 doesn’t make you morally superior to anyone else. I could’ve been mean and asked her if she ate sugar why was she so bony? But 1. I’m not mean like that 2. There’s nothing wrong with being skinny and body shaming isn’t okay. Although I’m sure it would’ve stung because as a black woman she’s not the standard of beauty either (too thin, I’m sure people have called her names and teased her because of that).

I was a perfect lady like always.

🙄

It was a very nice shower. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I  have to make a confession.  My real name isn't Barb or Barbara. The name came about as a mean girl type of persona I made up for myself years ago when I worked as a medical receptionist in a doctor's office.  I pulled it out of nowhere.  Barb became like the imaginary friend kids have who do all the bad & mean things they wished they could do but don't. 

Aw.....you're so honest.  That's what I get for assuming. 😂

I love the history of names btw..they fascinate me. One of my favorite websites is: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager , where you can search any name and see the history of how popular they've been over the years.

Just for fun, I searched both Barb and Alice..here are the results:

(no wonder there was at least two other Barbaras in my school classes throughout my life..what about Alice?) 😊

Screenshot_20190317-162720.jpg

Screenshot_20190317-162628.jpg

Ps looks like Alice is making a small comeback..Barb has flatlined.😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

If you’re a vegetarian what’s the reason for (gestures hands on hips to indicate girth)”

rude raven symone GIF

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I was a perfect lady like always.

Now I have to learn how to make gifs, 😁 because I can't find a gif from "To Sir With Love" of the girl saying "I'm a f*cking lady, I am!"

• LOL 3

In 2017  popular baby names 

Alice was #70 

Barbara was  #908

i know a Barbara she is over 55. I know a Alice she is in her 70s my aquatences mom.  

Alice is pretty popular. My own name which is super popular isn’t even in the top 100!

• Love 2

@ChiCricket

Thanks so much for researching my name. Yay, it's making a comeback.   Thanks for the link too, I'll have to check out other family names. 

I remember at least 2 Barbaras in school. There was another Alice in first grade but she moved away.  I was the only one after that. I think the more modern Allison took over in popularity.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:
rude raven symone GIF

Now I have to learn how to make gifs, 😁 because I can't find a gif from "To Sir With Love" of the girl saying "I'm a f*cking lady, I am!"

This is so funny because I always said Raven would play me in the movie of my life. (Or Jordan Sparks) 

@Barb23 sending tons of love and healing your way. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

@ChiCricket

Thanks so much for researching my name. Yay, it's making a comeback.   Thanks for the link too, I'll have to check out other family names. 

I remember at least 2 Barbaras in school. There was another Alice in first grade but she moved away.  I was the only one after that. I think the more modern Allison took over in popularity.  

Come to think of it, this is the only Alice I ever "knew".. I seriously can't remember ever meeting one in real life. How funny. 

PS and my younger sister's name is Alison! (one L)

Edited by ChiCricket