Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@Nysha know you have been in my prayers too. I was wondering about your sister as well. I am so, so sorry. Praying for peace and healing for your family. 

To add to the doctor stories, this is mild compared to some, but irritating nonetheless. I had two bad experiences with her. She was a gynecologist, and I went to her as a college freshman when I couldn't find relief for my migraines. My mom came with me. She put me on Topamax to prevent migraines, but it gave me crazy side effects! I decided I would rather not deal with them (one was memory loss, and I was in college! Not a good time for that). When I went back, she insisted I needed to be on it, and that my side effects weren't that bad. She even accused me of just reading the list of side effects online and pretending to have them. My mom went off on her about how her father was a drug rep, and she knows they have to list all the side effects, but I really was getting them and she knows how this game works! She straight up asked this woman if she was getting kickbacks from Topamax, and she wouldn't answer, but agreed that I should stop. 

I can't believe I ever went back to her, but several years later, I knew I had something wrong with my periods, and she put me on birth control. She correctly diagnosed me with PMDD, and put me on what turned out to be a good pill for me. However, I did gain about ten pounds really suddenly, and I casually asked her about it when I went back in. I wasn't over the top about it at all! She started vigorously defending the pill, insisting that it doesn't cause weight gain and MY CRAPPY EATING HABITS ARE THE CAUSE, GODDAMIT!!! I've never seen anyone go from 0 to 60 so fast, and be so accusatory! I had just started grad school at this point. She said, "since you're a student again now, you have been eating worse, and exercising less." Ummm she knew nothing about me! I politely told her that I had actually been eating better, since I had been cooking for myself instead of eating in the cafeteria, like I did in undergrad, and also I had a really far walk from my apartment to campus, so I'd been exercising a lot more. She just kept yelling and screaming, insisting that she was right! Then she said I didn't have my teenage metabolism anymore. Yeah, right. I wasn't even necessarily blaming the pill, but just wanted to know if gaining a few pounds in the first month or so I was normal. Fortunately, I was able to work it off and then some, but just had to work a little harder than normal to do so. 

Both times, I just can't believe how defensive she got about the meds. It was like a monster was unleashed the second they were criticized!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I know I haven't been around much, work has been extremely busy. But, I wanted to give you an update on my missing sister. Her killer has been arrested! Please pray that he reveals where he buried her and that he is convicted. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. There were a great comfort to me.
Arrest made in disappearance of Laura Johnson.

@Nysha, darling, I am so sorry. I was just thinking about your sister the other day and I’m sad, but not surprised, that this is where things stand. I hope they lock him up forever and you and your family find some measure of peace. Much love. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

I know I haven't been around much, work has been extremely busy. But, I wanted to give you an update on my missing sister. Her killer has been arrested! Please pray that he reveals where he buried her and that he is convicted. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. There were a great comfort to me.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Love 5

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister Nysha.  Please know you have so many folks sending virtual hugs to you and your family.  I hope you get some answers soon.  

Today has been a day of struggle for me.  I've literally given myself a damn migraine because of it.  Mr. Six had a business trip last weekend.  He had a 600am flight from Baltimore to Austin, TX.  He began his trip home from a regional airport, had a layover in Dallas, flew into Charlotte with only 35 minutes between flights, and then finally made it back home at midnight Monday night.  I feel ridiculous for missing him so damn much while he was gone a short time.  And here comes the struggle. We have plans to see family for the holiday weekend.  I have zero, none, zilch, nada desire to go.  And I have so much guilt.  It's going to be the second weekend in a row that I won't get to spend time with him, and I have to share him with other people.  I am almost in tears thinking about how much I'm dreading the trip.  The car ride is horrendous to begin with, but I'm in the middle of a pain cycle (which is now spreading to my right hip), and the level or horrendousness (my made-up word for the day) is magnified.  I know it's no big deal, but I just can't get out of my headspace with the whole thing.  I can't say anything on social media since it will go back to my mom and inlaws within an hour.  I just feel like I'm being forced into something I don't want to do, but the "threats" are coming from guilt trips.  On that pathetic note, I hope everyone has a lovely Good Friday & safe Saturday.  Take care all!!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, sixlets said:

I just feel like I'm being forced into something I don't want to do, but the "threats" are coming from guilt trips.  

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but I'm about done with guilt trips.  Being forced to do something because, otherwise, I'll be made to feel guilty is so stressful that it sometimes affects my health.  It may do the same to you.  Is there a chance that Mr. Six would prefer not to make the trip as well?  Or is he the source of the guilt trip?

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, NotFundie said:

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but I'm about done with guilt trips.  Being forced to do something because, otherwise, I'll be made to feel guilty is so stressful that it sometimes affects my health.  It may do the same to you.  Is there a chance that Mr. Six would prefer not to make the trip as well?  Or is he the source of the guilt trip?

They're not so much coming from him as they are my mom.  I also don't feel pressure from my inlaws.  Mr. Six wants to go for a couple of reasons.  Since we both only children, he wants to spend more time with his dad, who finally retired a few years ago.  He also wants to see his uncle (type 1 diabetic who has been having some serious health issues) and his grandma, who will be turning 90 later this year.  Due to his crazy hours last year, we only made it up for one trip, which was Thanksgiving.  Those hours continued into this year, so I saw him very little then too.  He did over 250 hours in 4 weeks.  He took PTO because of the business trip, so it's just more time I don't get to spend with him.  That makes me sound like a jealous "girlfriend" from junior high 😜

• Love 5

@Nysha, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I wish you had gotten a different outcome but at least you have some hope of finding her body to maybe give you some peace. I've lost two brothers suddenly in the last two years and it is such a shock. Eventually you will be able to think of her with less pain. It helps to share your memories of her with other people. Feel free to PM if you need to vent. Strangers can sometimes offer help simply because they are outsiders. Virtual hugs and much love coming your way.

• Love 7

Had my doctor appointment this morning. My endocrinologist told me it was rare for a man to be hypothyroid, and more women are hypothyroid than hyperthyroid. Makes me wonder how many women can end up with a thyroid disorder. I do remember his scheduler/receptionist telling me how surprise she was by the number of patients coming in to see him because of a thyroid disorder when I came in for my first appointment with him.

Edited by bigskygirl
40 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Had my doctor appointment this morning. My endocrinologist told me it was rare for a man to be hypothyroid, and more women are hypothyroid than hyperthyroid. Makes me wonder how many women can end up with a thyroid disorder. I do remember his scheduler/receptionist telling me how surprise she was by the number of patients coming in to see him because of a thyroid disorder when I came in for my first appointment with him.

There are definitely more women with thyroid problems than men.

I have six women friends, all of them are on thyroid medication. Most were hypothyroid from a young age, and are now in their seventies and have been on meds all this time.

I also had two great-aunts that were hyperthyroid back in the 1930s. There was some sort of radiation then, which they had.

I became severely hyperthyroid about 8 yrs. ago. I had tremors in my hands so bad that I couldn’t write,developed A-fib,lost 20 lbs.and was so jittery I jumped at every noise. It was horrible. For years I’d had some symptoms, but all that was ever done was the T3,T4 &TSH which we’re always normal. So the doctors ignored my complaints.

This time they did the free T3 and free T4 and my levels were off the charts. The doctor was so concerned that he called the endocrinologist and got me an appointment that day.

My endocrinologist found 4 nodes on my thyroid, the biopsies were benign. She started me on Tapazol and very slowly the levels started dropping. It took almost a year for the levels to drop to a point where I could take the pill to radiate my thyroid, and once the Tapazol started working, my physical symptoms disappeared.

I finally had radiation but my stubborn thyroid kept on working, and she was not pleased with the levels. We talked about the fact that I might have to have radiation again but we gave it a few more months while I continued Tapazol, and finally the levels finally dropped. Another sonogram showed I had no more thyroid tissue.

So now, I’m hypothyroid, on Levothyroxine. My friends who are on Synthroid feel much better and swear they can tell the difference between the two meds. I’m going to ask to be switched to Synthroid at my next visit. It’s not that expensive.

I truly believe that thyroid problems are one of the most missed conditions in medicine today. I had symptoms for years, but was only diagnosed when they became acute.

Sorry that you’ve having so much trouble with regulating your thyroid and your meds.I hope they get you on the right track soon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, bythelake said:

I have six women friends, all of them are on thyroid medication. Most were hypothyroid from a young age, and are now in their seventies and have been on meds all this time.

I also had two great-aunts that were hyperthyroid back in the 1930s. There was some sort of radiation then, which they had.

I became severely hyperthyroid about 8 yrs. ago. I had tremors in my hands so bad that I couldn’t write,developed A-fib,lost 20 lbs.and was so jittery I jumped at every noise. It was horrible. For years I’d had some symptoms, but all that was ever done was the T3,T4 &TSH which we’re always normal. So the doctors ignored my complaints.

This time they did the free T3 and free T4 and my levels were off the charts. The doctor was so concerned that he called the endocrinologist and got me an appointment that day.

My endocrinologist found 4 nodes on my thyroid, the biopsies were benign. She started me on Tapazol and very slowly the levels started dropping. It took almost a year for the levels to drop to a point where I could take the pill to radiate my thyroid, and once the Tapazol started working, my physical symptoms disappeared.

I finally had radiation but my stubborn thyroid kept on working, and she was not pleased with the levels. We talked about the fact that I might have to have radiation again but we gave it a few more months while I continued Tapazol, and finally the levels finally dropped. Another sonogram showed I had no more thyroid tissue.

So now, I’m hypothyroid, on Levothyroxine. My friends who are on Synthroid feel much better and swear they can tell the difference between the two meds. I’m going to ask to be switched to Synthroid at my next visit. It’s not that expensive.

I truly believe that thyroid problems are one of the most missed conditions in medicine today. I had symptoms for years, but was only diagnosed when they became acute.

Sorry that you’ve having so much trouble with regulating your thyroid and your meds.I hope they get you on the right track soon.

My Graves Disease symptoms did not get bad until after I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I kept getting sicker and sicker. I had bad hot flashes, tired a lot, digestive issues, aching all over, shaking, confusion, losing a few pounds, etc. etc. I finally said enough because I could tell something was wrong. He ordered a thyroid levels test, and the test showed my levels were high.

I do not have a thyroid anymore or at least a functioning thyroid. It looks like we are on the right track when it comes to the med dosage. I remember last year at this time I went into hypothyroid mode. I think is the crazy weather and the weather season changes causing the wacky thyroid hormone changes. I know in 2016 I was feeling good, but I went into mild hyperthyroid mode in April.

My husband had a heart attack last summer. His initial recovery was unremarkable. Around November, he had started to experience fatigue and weight gain. The fatigue we initially attributed to his return to work. The cardiologist was concerned about heart failure with the weight gain. On Christmas Day, he was sleeping about 16 hours daily and his weight was up over 30# and his breathing was irregular. We went to ER, after cardiac tests negative, his thyroid panel was checked. I don't remember all the numbers but the TSH was greater than 200. His medication is adjusted periodically, but overall he is feeling much better.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, bythelake said:

I switched from synthroid to levoxyl - another name brand. The generics aren’t always the same strength they claim to be - one way or the other. Levoxyl is cheaper. 

49 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

My Graves Disease symptoms did not get bad until after I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I kept getting sicker and sicker. I had bad hot flashes, tired a lot, digestive issues, aching all over, shaking, confusion, losing a few pounds, etc. etc. I finally said enough because I could tell something was wrong. He ordered a thyroid levels test, and the test showed my levels were high.

I do not have a thyroid anymore or at least a functioning thyroid. It looks like we are on the right track when it comes to the med dosage. I remember last year at this time I went into hypothyroid mode. I think is the crazy weather and the weather season changes causing the wacky thyroid hormone changes. I know in 2016 I was feeling good, but I went into mild hyperthyroid mode in April.

Did the new doctor offer you anything useful?

• Love 2

@whydoiwatch 200 tsh *yikes* The highest mine has ever been was 29.700 in June 2013.

26 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I switched from synthroid to levoxyl - another name brand. The generics aren’t always the same strength they claim to be - one way or the other. Levoxyl is cheaper. 

Did the new doctor offer you anything useful?

The new doctor I have been seeing since 2015 is a major improvement over the idiot in Great Falls. When my blood tests show mild hypo or hyperthyroidism, he actually looks at the tests to figure out what is the best way to treat it. He told me which calcium I should take because of the Acid Reflux Disease. I can ask him questions without worrying he is going to testy and act like he is God. He apologizes when I told him how long it took for a doctor to find out I had Graves Disease. He wants me to feel good and says he is sorry when I do not feel good. He explains things that could cause my levels to go wacky. If he cannot figure out the answers, he will suggest other tests and is willing to work with my primary care provider and other doctors to get answers. So yes, he does offer a lot of things that are useful.

23 hours ago, Nysha said:

I know that words mean little when your heart is broken, but, I do pray that you and your family are provided with your sister, so you can bring her home.  Her kind eyes and loving heart are shown in that photo.  Take care of yourself. 

• Love 11
39 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Guess who’s on VACATION!!!

r and r vacation GIF

I’ll be posting some photos of my Outlander tour in the thread next week so please check it out if you’re interested. 

Yasssss!!!! I can't wait!!!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Guess who’s on VACATION!!!

r and r vacation GIF

I’ll be posting some photos of my Outlander tour in the thread (The Outlander thread I mean) next week so please check it out if you’re interested. 

@Scarlett45 I've been missing you!!! Can't wait to hear all about the vacation!!! 

• Love 3

@Nysha, i sure have thought about you and your missing sister over that past months but didnt want to ask for an update for fear of what i might hear. although i am glad you checked in, i am so sorry to read the news. i hope you all will get more information sooner than later and, in the end, learn the whereabouts of your sister. i read that article you linked but it left me with questions.  why was he arrested? what leads the authorities to believe he has harmed your sister? is there evidence? and if so, is it enough to put him away so he doesn't hurt another person? my thoughts are with you.

ETA: i did not see the police report attached to the link you shared. reading that now and understand the reasoning for believing that your sister is gone. @Nysha, my heart is breaking reading this!

Edited by zoomama
i read further...
  • Love 5

@Nysha, I didn’t see the police report until I saw zoomama’s post. I read every word. I’m so sorry that your family’s suspicions were correct. I’m glad that the neighbor’s surveillance camera captured and retained her killer’s movements. I hope that video footage puts him away for the rest of his life and I hope that your sister is found soon. 

• Love 9

I got my first paraffin pedicure of the season in prep for my trip!

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

My nail tech (I go to a regular person for manicures and get pedicures regularly in the summer) said that the bottom of my toes (not my feet but just the toes) looked unsightly because of months of sleeping in socks. She said if I slept without socks the feet would breathe and new smooth skin would form. 

Ah I love paraffin and my toes look so cute. 😁

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ha!I got my first paraffin pedicure of the season in prep for my trip!

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

My nail tech (I go to a regular person for manicures and get pedicures regularly in the summer) said that the bottom of my toes (not my feet but just the toes) looked unsightly because of months of sleeping in socks. She said if I slept without socks the feet would breathe and new smooth skin would form. 

Ah I love paraffin and my toes look so cute. 😁

Ha! I still find it amazing (and great!) how different we all are. The mere thought of sleeping in socks gives me a choking sense of claustrophobia! I avoid socks (and shoes) whenever I can in general, and find myself poking my feet out of the covers in all but truly frigid sleeping temperatures (which would be my druthers at all times if I could manage it). On the other hand, the soles of my feet are in really pathetic shape. I should totally have been born a Hobbit. Though I'd have probably shaved the tops of my feet if I was! 😁😂

I guess I should just cling to my conviction that most people are probably less than interested in studying the state of my feet, but given the scrutiny given to the Duggars, I may be sadly delusional...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 4/19/2019 at 10:13 PM, Christina87 said:

@Scarlett45 I've been missing you!!! Can't wait to hear all about the vacation!!! 

I’ve been SO busy at work to clear my desk before vacation! Thanks for missing me though. 

Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates. I’m headed to brunch at 1pm, now I’m just in bed lounging. 

• Love 7

@Nysha, I'm so sorry for your loss. I suppose it's cold comfort that the murderer is facing charges. 

On a totally frivolous subject, this is on the Jill and Derick topic but it's really small talk fodder so I brought it here:

11 hours ago, Temperance said:

Oily may just be part of it. The hair's texture and other variables may also have something to do with how often it needs washing.

I saw this woman on Dr. Oz who hadn't washed her hair in at least a year or two, and felt that her hair was much healthier. She said her hair developed its natural oils to maintain itself and that after the first month or so she got used to it. She was a hipster mama type.

I don't think she was fundie. Some fundies used to be against shampoo, but not the Duggars/Bates etc.

I saw that woman who had quit using shampoo to wash her hair - but it was on The Doctors, not Dr. Oz. I looked up that segment online recently. 

She said that she decided to quit using shampoo five years earlier, when she'd investigated all the chemicals we actually use on our bodies every day and wanted to reduce that impact on herself. (No fundie nonsense at all.) 

At first she cleaned her hair with vinegar and baking soda, but was unhappy because it would range from greasy to overly dry. So she quit using anything, just rinses her hair with water - it sounds like every day - and every few days scrubs her scalp with her fingers while rinsing it, and now and then also cleans it with baking soda.

So it's not that she doesn't *wash* her hair, but she doesn't use shampoo. Her hair looked okay.

The segment included the docs using a scope to examine her scalp; they suggested that she be a bit more aggressive at scrubbing away flakes of sebum but overall the scalp and hair looked healthy. The doctor who did the exam said,  heck, she was now thinking of doing that with her own hair.

I don't see myself ever going that natural, but sometimes I just rinse out my hair under the shower, scrub at my scalp, and don't apply shampoo at all. However, this skipping a day of shampoo is kind of new for me. For most of my life, my hair was SO damned oily I had to wash it every single day, or it would just be - stanky and nasty. I also had oily skin, to the point that if I weren't wearing makeup, including powder eye shadow, by noon I could feel my face including my eyelids being nasty oily. 

Sometime in my sixties the ultra-oily thing for my face and hair finally slowed down. I can now skip a day of shampooing my hair and not have to worry that it's skanky and stinky. But only one day. (See above, I sometimes rinse it out in the shower but usually just dampen and re-blow-dry to style it on non-shampoo days.)

@Scarlett45, enjoy your day - and your vacay!!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Ha! I still find it amazing (and great!) how different we all are. The mere thought of sleeping in socks gives me a choking sense of claustrophobia! I avoid socks (and shoes) whenever I can in general, and find myself poking my feet out of the covers in all but truly frigid sleeping temperatures (which would be my druthers at all times if I could manage it). On the other hand, the soles of my feet are in really pathetic shape. I should totally have been born a Hobbit. Though I'd have probably shaved the tops of my feet if I was! 😁😂

I guess I should just cling to my conviction that most people are probably less than interested in studying the state of my feet, but given the scrutiny given to the Duggars, I may be sadly delusional...

Well I live in chicago IL and don’t have carpet in my house. In the winter I keep the heat at 70 despite preferring it at 74 for budget. I’m that odd duck that thinks humidity is excellent for the skin and gets so happy when it’s humid for this reason. I wear socks because they keep my feet warm! I like to be warm at ALL TIMES. 

I also think I have pretty cute feet in general so my vanity was offended when I turned my foot over and the underside of my toes looked like that! It’s almost sandal season!! Time for me to get my exfoliation routine on and lather myself in coconut oil (not for tanning I’m already brown but for moisture!)

• Love 3

@Nysha I am so sorry to hear this news. I know your family and other loved ones are burdened by broken hearts and grief right now. May he provide the location of the body so you guys can bury her and get the closure you deserve. May he rot in the prison cell until the end of his days. 

• Love 6

@Nysha - so sorry - can't imagine.  condolences and sympathies to you and your family.

We just got back from a trip to watch the niece in an Irish dance competition.  That was nice. Saw other relatives, but, niece and her mother are kind of one person.  And they both needed to "rest" several times during the visit, leaving the husband to be with the rest of us.  Curious.  The husband and Mr. lookeyloo are twins.  I am so amazed that they are so awkward around each other.  They aren't identical but they shared a room and did a lot of things together as kids.  Now, they can't say two words to each other.  they aren't at odds, just awkward.  What's up with that.

I like to be warm.  I can go barefoot or wear shoes.  I don't mind wearing socks at night in the winter.  I spend a lot of time greasing up my feet with various and sundry things, including vaseline, and they are baby soft.  No calluses, corns, etc.  I was lucky enough to be able to wear shoes that fit my entire life.  My grandma was born in 1899 and she remembers when shoes didn't have a right or left foot and you wore what you got, even if they didn't really fit.  Her feet were a mess.  Toes going hither and yon.  She wore those old lady oxfords always, and one year she discovered a kind of sandal that would accommodate her feet. It was a big problem.  

I don't shampoo as often as I used to, since menopause and the breast cancer drug which caused my hair to thin, among other annoying things, like osteoporosis, and a ring of fat around my middle.  But, considering the alternative...

I ordered glasses on line at zennioptical.  I am very pleased with them.  they are so much less expensive than even Costco.  

Back to regular routine tomorrow, starting with gym which I never want to do, but am always glad afterwards.  I'm retired so no excuse not to start my day that way.  Helps with the bones and heart.

• Love 8

@Nysha I am so sorry for your loss of your beautiful sister. I saw an article on Facebook  from Dateline and the name and picture looked familiar. I realized it was your sister and I came here immediately to see your devastating post. My condolences and sympathy to you and your family. May your sister rest in peace.

• Love 4

@lookeyloo Maybe sister in law and niece were trying to give the brother time alone with his twin? I adore my in laws, yet I always excuse myself at some point during visits to give my husband time alone with his parents.

I know a lot of people who aren’t close with their siblings. For one, my husband and his brother never talk unless they see each other in person. I am my mother’s only child, but one of five in a blended family with my dad. As a parent of fraternal twins (who only planned on having one child!), I spent probably too much time thinking about the sibling relationship and why some siblings essentially lose touch when they grow up. 

I have boy/girl twins, but I think same sex twins must be hard. Constant comparison of who is developing, who is taller, who is more athletic, who has clearer skin, etc. 

• Love 4

Happy Easter or Passover to those who observe. College girl came home Thursday for the extended weekend. HS boy has had soccer wrap up for indoor winter season. New puppy is naughty and adorable. Spent Easter with in-laws. MIL & FIL are back in the state after doing the snow bird thing. They essentially left without telling three-of their four kids just before Christmas. Same thing upon return.  Very glad we set firm boundaries with them 20+ years ago, but am saddened by the situation. MIL is either quite mentally ill or toxic, likely both.  Back to work tomorrow. 

• Love 5

Happy Easter and Passover to everyone who celebrates.

@Jeeves Good for you for looking it up! I don't really watch The Doctors/Dr. Oz, so I didn't remember all the details. 

@Nysha I know this is so hard for you. I've been thinking about you since you first told us she was missing. I'm mainly relieved that there seems to be movement towards justice/answers. I will keep praying that justice will continue. 

I saw this quote from Mother Theresa today. "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

• Love 8

Looks like the work will start on our house today. Going to be interesting to see how everything turns out. Will try not to get in the way and be one of those pushy people who has to supervise everything. They have done work on other houses in the neighborhood, and they do a good job. Do not know how much will be done today, but I think they will give us an idea on what they will be doing.

@ChiCricket I’m very happy for you that you got a mini vacation, had time with your daughter and got to see Hamilton. That’s an all around win-win-win. 

@bigskygirl I hope all the work on your place turns out well. It’s unsettling to have the workers around but the results should be worth the inconvenience. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Edited to add a message to BigSkyGirl
  • Love 4

Back from the colonoscopy. Quite a few polyps, including a couple of fairly good size ones, but nothing which looked immediately worrisome. They will all go to pathology, though, and I'll get more results in a week or two. Keep the fingers crossed 🙂

• Love 21

@Mindthinkr The guy who came to look over the house and told us what they will be doing says he usually gets cranky while doing the job, and I told him I get cranky when I get sick. I just hope the dirt flying around when they do the insulation work does not bother me too much. He said he has a mask I can wear while they are working. I might end up using it while trying to find ways to get out of the house while the work is being done.

Poor Sassy is already nervous. She might have a hard time finding places to hide because we need to move stuff around so they can do the work. So far she has not growl or hiss. She will growl at the next door neighbor for some reason. We also need to move our vehicles so they can park their small work trailer closer to the house. I guess they were told not to park on the streets anymore.

And of course, as soon as my husband goes to his doctor appt. with the car since his pickup is at the repair shop, I get my email saying my prescription is ready at Walmart. I guess I can use that for an excuse to get out of the house tomorrow when the workers show up. The bad part is the one guy said I could feel the effects of the dust tonight. Crossing fingers it will not happen. My husband is taking a few days off from work because he works the graveyard shift and sleeps in the morning.

10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Back from the colonoscopy. Quite a few polyps, including a couple of fairly good size ones, but nothing which looked immediately worrisome. They will all go to pathology, though, and I'll get more results in a week or two. Keep the fingers crossed 🙂

*crossing fingers* Glad you survive your colonoscopy. Did they use drugs to put you under. I personally thought the drugs were the best part (and being able to go home to take a nap and get something to eat.)

Edited by bigskygirl

To anyone needing larger font size....I just discovered that my browser (Opera) has the option to increase the font size.  I just set mine to large (not even extra large), and now my print is HUGE and easy to read.  So if you are wishing that this site (whatever its name is now) has bigger type size, check the options in your browser.  I am really amazed.  I just discovered that I can make the font larger on my iphone, too.  Now I can actually read what I type when I send a message!!

I just checked Safari.  You can set the font size to 24.  Opera will allow font up to 72.

Edited by CalicoKitty
added more info
  • Love 1

The one guy who did our audit last month came by to check our water heater out and talk with the guy(s) doing the work. He said his thyroid levels are off also, so his med dosage was up to 150 mcg now. He said it was the first time in 10 years his levels were off. I wonder if the crazy February weather has cause more people with thyroid disorders have their levels go wacky.

We have survive day one of the work. It is interesting to see how they are doing the insulation work. We had 1/2 inch insulation in the walls along with paper and foam for old insulation. You can already tell the difference. It has been fun moving things around so the guy can have space to get to the walls and ceiling. He also updated at least one heating vent so the flow will be better. The insulation will help the furnace not having to work so hard to heat the house, and it will help keep it cooler in the summer.

And here is a few tips: If you have a furnace door, take the door off to help the furnace work better. Also be careful what you have near your furnace. We were told to move Sassy's two cat boxes because the dust from the litter can make the furnace less effective. I had no clue about how dust from items near your furnace can make it run harder.