Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Ooooh!!  I do I do!!  

I just had cataract surgery and have the whole green cap/purple cap thing going on.  Although this is how I already used drops:  I look toward my nose, gently pull down the bottom outer edge of my lid and drop it in.  I can’t do drops in my eyes if I can see them coming - and I reeeeeeally hate for someone else to put drops in my eyes.

And holeeeee cow, when you have eye surgery, everydamnbody in the BUILDING is going to put some drops in your eyes!   I swear there were entire bus fleets lined up full of people who each had some sort of drops in their pockets just for ME.  I’m signing the final paperwork before going in, and I’m not even kidding, the surgical nurse, all the techs, the girl from behind the desk, the worker next door, the front receptionist, the security guard, the FedEx man, 3 other patients and the cashier from Wendy’s next  door had all run in and squirted something in my eye.  I’m not even kidding, the SURGEON showed up TWICE while I was sitting in that office and put something in my eye.   Afterward, the doc who checked me out commented that I seemed to be having some discomfort.  (I was).  Luckily, he had a drop for that... 

@louannems I do, too.  I have had at least three surgeries in each eye and in addition to what @Happyfatchick said, I only JUST THIS WEEK learned that you are supposed to keep your eye closed for at least a minute after you instill the drop. And if you press on the inside corner of your eye by your nose it may help keep some of the drops from running down your throat, which I hate.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

ETA:  at the risk of sounding petulant, I’m very softly going to say I’m not a fan of the new name either, and that @Christina87 pretty much nailed it.  It “feels” different, doesn’t it?  Like David...where is David?

I also hate the name change. Even though I know it is the same content and people here it feels totally different like I just moved and have to make friends with everybody again.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I also hate the name change.

It doesn't really bother me, because honestly I never "got" the old one. I never understood what the name "Previously TV" was supposed to mean. Something that used to be "TV", but now it isn't? Anyway, as long as nothing else changes, I can live with the new name.

• Love 10

@Happyfatchick welcome to the world of seeing better. May 4th will be 3 months since my second cataract surgery. Yes the longest part of the procedure was all those drops!! That’s what made it take so long. I didn’t mind putting all the drops in. I took them to the beach in Mexico 4 days after the second surgery.  I am thrilled with the outcome!! 

• Love 2

jyn, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.  If you need to vent, please know you have a ton of friends here who will listen ♥

Against my own internal guilt trip, I ultimately decided to stay home Easter weekend.  Mr. Six did go up on Friday, but he ended up skipping the family lunch and came home Saturday.  Poor guy ended up taking my technology-frightened mother shopping for her new cell phone.  We got her off of our family plan, and she signed up with Consumer Cellular.  His reward will be a new iPhone for himself whenever he wants to upgrade.  He also helped his dad with a few home projects.  I'm still stuck in a neverending pain cycle, which is making simple tasks a pain in the ass.  I am way too young for this shit.  

I will also second (or third) the recommendation for Zaditor eye drops.  The generic is $4.59 at Target, and I just got my second bottle a few weeks ago.  They have been a lifesaver this season.  And I finally found a way to get them in my eyes.  If I see something coming at me, I instinctively close my eyes.  I started having success when I have my eye closed, apply the drops to my lid and let it "soak" into my eye.  It's not pretty, and while I may have to use 3 or 4 drops, it works well for me.  

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday.  It is a gorgeous and sunny 63 degrees in Baltimore today.  I'll take it!

• Love 3
On 4/27/2019 at 12:45 AM, Christina87 said:

Prayer request for praying types!

My mom fell down the stairs this morning! I was home, and it woke me up. It was an awful thing to wake up to! Thankfully she caught onto the railing halfway down, but broke her big toe in two places. One bone is a clean break, and the joint is crushed. I took her to the ER, and she has been in so much pain today! It could have been so much worse, though, so I'm thankful. I'm glad I was here to help her, too. It was so upsetting, and I am still shaken!

i also have awful allergies right now, which are nowhere near her level of problem, but are just making life uncomfortable. 

I'm hoping my mom will heal soon! Thanks in advance for all the good vibes I know this wonderful community will offer. 💕💕💕

Yikes! Prayers are certainly not the way. I wish we lived closer - I would so have cooked for you!

• Love 1

I remember a few prescription eyes drops that would burn after I put them in and then cause blurry vision. It took me awhile to learn how to use eye ointment.

We are having snow and wind causes blizzard like conditions across the state. Good ole Montana weather. Our house is a little cold right now because a few windows need storm windows and our front door needs some work on it to reduce drafts. My husband also turn off the power and gas to our  wall oven because the darn thing would make it more hot in the summer in the kitchen area. We are hoping to get a good used gas stove with an oven combine instead of a stove and oven separate. We did lose a little cabinet space when the one guy put in our kitchen exhaust fan, but we can live with it.

4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Yikes! Prayers are certainly not the way. I wish we lived closer - I would so have cooked for you!

Ummmm I do too! I know what you make, and just hearing about it always makes me so hungry! We could definitely use some delicious food, lol. I have decided I must have some kind of cold. This is worse than allergies, and plus, the symptoms keep changing. If they were allergies, thry could stay the same for weeks, but it's running the course of a cold. Today was the first day that was better than yesterday! My mom is in a lot of pain, and goes to the doctor tomorrow. I hope they will give her some medicine! 

But seriously, you are so sweet. teleport yourself here, please! Or, I need to visit Ohio and stop by. 😜

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Barb23 said:

To all my cat lover cyber friends:  QVC was doing a Skechers segment the other night & they showed BOBS slip ons that were done in cat related fabric/themes.  I think there were about 4-5 different prints.  I'm not much of a cat person but these caught my eye & I thought of you all right away. 

They've got doggie ones, too.  The only thing is that BOBS are Skechers answer to TOMS and they are not nearly as comfortable as regular Skechers.

13 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I fell down the stairs once.  

What’s on the menu this week?

Shrimp Spaghetti, Roasted Smoked Turkey Sausage & Herbed Redskins, Chicken Breasts with a Dijon rub, Zucchini Parmesan Bites, Cheesy Focaccia, Homemade Bread and Homemade Ketchup made from our tomatoes canned last year!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Shrimp Spaghetti, Roasted Smoked Turkey Sausage & Herbed Redskins, Chicken Breasts with a Dijon rub, Zucchini Parmesan Bites, Cheesy Focaccia, Homemade Bread and Homemade Ketchup made from our tomatoes canned last year!

Sounds delicious 

......and you live where?

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Looks like your little friend was happy to have you back.  Cute shoes -  I like that they are not leather.

Thank you. Charlie (my cat) didn’t want me to leave. I’m debating ordering a second pair because I’m still amazed how well these shoes did- my feet didn’t hurt at all and the cobblestones were just fine. 

Speaking of cats- my Mom noticed my eldest cat Mr Norris kept cuddling on the floor rather than the sofa when I was away. I guess without my lap the floor was just easier. I have ordered him stairs to more easily access the sofa. He’s 19, but the other 2 are 14, so they will need it eventually. 

• Love 3

Scarlett45, I forgot to ask, did you travel by yourself or with friends? I'm considering doing a long weekend in London by myself this summer but I've never done a solo vacation overseas before. I've been to London several times but I just want to go by myself to only do the tourist-y things I want to do and shop for two days without feeling guilty that someone is missing out on a museum or tour.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Can I be in if I just trip over two stairs? Sounds so delicious. I’ll bring devils food cake with the yummiest chocolate frosting. 

• Love 1

I am about to whine and complaint - around 2006 I noticed a small bump around the size of a grain of rice up there where the gum meets the cheek.  Dentist blew it off.  Needed a dental clearance the next year for hip replacement surgery and hygienist noticed it.  Referred for root canal.  It has never been really gone all that time.  Every once in a while it "perks up" and I have taken an antibiotic a couple of times, which doesn't do much.  Have been to endodontist several times before we moved and, perplexed.  Moved here and after two more years, it puffed up a lot and ruptured.  First and only time.  Had another root canal.  For 8 months it was relatively fine and recently plumped up a little.  No pain.  Went back to endodontist here who did second root canal.  Said need extraction and implant because the area was too hard for him to get to for an apicoectomy (new word for me).  Go to oral surgeon. Saw him today.  Did tooth CT.  Showed me the small area of irritation/infection.  Said it would be too hard for him to do an apicoectomy so extraction and implant. I am annoyed.  Seems like extraction/implant is the new thing on the block.  If I were absolutely sure that would solve my issue without causing more problems I might consider it more.  I was told a root canal would fix it (twice).  I have a call in for my regular dentist who didn't seem to think it was a crisis situation being that I've had it for so long.  And, I have the information to see if I can get an appointment at the Emory Clinic. Don't know if I need a referral from dentist, website doesn't seem to indicate.   Anyway, that is my tale of woe and it is too early to drink!!

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Scarlett45, I forgot to ask, did you travel by yourself or with friends? I'm considering doing a long weekend in London by myself this summer but I've never done a solo vacation overseas before. I've been to London several times but I just want to go by myself to only do the tourist-y things I want to do and shop for two days without feeling guilty that someone is missing out on a museum or tour.

Yes yes I went by myself!! I’ve done trips in the USA before, namely Boston, NYC, and San Diego for Comic Con International. 

Go! Do it! Just get a good data plan for your phone (as a millennial don’t mess with my data!). 

• Love 4

Just popping in to say Hi! It's been a while. I was taking care of my mom for the last six months. It was a long road of hospital stays, rehab, home, rinse and repeat. Sadly, she passed last Wednesday. I'm at peace knowing she will no longer suffering from diabetes. 

Let's snark. I need a distraction.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Just popping in to say Hi! It's been a while. I was taking care of my mom for the last six months. It was a long road of hospital stays, rehab, home, rinse and repeat. Sadly, she passed last Wednesday. I'm at peace knowing she will no longer suffering from diabetes. 

Welcome back. May your beautiful memories bring you comfort.

you will probably have a lot of snark to catch up on. Enjoy,

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

So sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

{{{HUGS}}} for you and your family.

3 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I'll bring devils food cake with the yummiest chocolate frosting. 

Love2dance, I'm gonna need that recipe!

Fuzzysox, I'm so sorry for you. I hope this board can help support and distract you over the coming weeks and months. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Ummmm I do too! I know what you make, and just hearing about it always makes me so hungry! We could definitely use some delicious food, lol. I have decided I must have some kind of cold. This is worse than allergies, and plus, the symptoms keep changing. If they were allergies, thry could stay the same for weeks, but it's running the course of a cold. Today was the first day that was better than yesterday! My mom is in a lot of pain, and goes to the doctor tomorrow. I hope they will give her some medicine! 

But seriously, you are so sweet. teleport yourself here, please! Or, I need to visit Ohio and stop by. 😜

I forgot to tell you I also make a kick ass Italian Wedding Soup... 💕

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I forgot to tell you I also make a kick ass Italian Wedding Soup... 💕

Okayyyy, let's get cracking on that teleportation device!!!

4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes yes I went by myself!! I’ve done trips in the USA before, namely Boston, NYC, and San Diego for Comic Con International. 

Go! Do it! Just get a good data plan for your phone (as a millennial don’t mess with my data!). 

That is so awesome!!! I've always wanted to do a solo trip! I went to NYC last summer a day before my sister got there, and met this nice guy in the street! He lives in San Fran, but we have casually texted over the year and I definitely consider him a friend! I am ALWAYS up for making a new friend, and solo travel seems like a great way to do it!

• Love 3

Sorry about your mom, @Fuzzysox! You and your family have my condolences. 😞

And for quality distraction snarking, in addition to the previous recommendation on the Jill and Derick thread, I highly recommend you visit the sweet fellowship thread and look for any and everything related to Jill Rodrigues. 🙂 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

I ended up going around the world by myself because no one wanted to go to Siberia with me.  I went by myself to Australia and New Zealand.  I travel with a group, but no one I know.  I did go to Kenya alone, but met up with a group of nurses and we took a nursing class there. (That trip my luggage was lost by the airlines, and I had no clothes for three weeks.  They gave me money to buy shoes and teeshirts, but I got to know the people in my group real fast since I had to borrow clothes.) I travel to Iowa every year by myself.  I guess I just never think about it, I just go.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I ended up going around the world by myself because no one wanted to go to Siberia with me.  I went by myself to Australia and New Zealand.  I travel with a group, but no one I know.  I did go to Kenya alone, but met up with a group of nurses and we took a nursing class there. (That trip my luggage was lost by the airlines, and I had no clothes for three weeks.  They gave me money to buy shoes and teeshirts, but I got to know the people in my group real fast since I had to borrow clothes.) I travel to Iowa every year by myself.  I guess I just never think about it, I just go.  

In 2011, I travelled solo to Japan for 11 nights.  I absolutely loved going alone!  I did whatever I wanted to do when I wanted to.  I didn't have a smart phone but I had googled everything ahead of time, including train schedules.  I had a great time.

• Love 8
On 4/29/2019 at 9:33 AM, Westiepeach said:

Oh stoooooppppp-PUH!!!  I hope your family appreciates your cooking as much as I appreciate dreaming about it.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:18 PM, Fuzzysox said:

I’m sorry @fuzzysox.   I know you saw it coming, but it’s never easy, is it?  Especially when you’re the primary caregiver.  It feels almost like you’ve let them down somehow, even though your brain knows better.  It just takes a little time before you can accept that.  I’m truly sad you lost your mom.

i think @Westiepeach agreed to feed all of us.  And I hear there’s chocolate cake with divine icing.  I’m packing up the wine.  Met y’all there in a few.

Edited by Happyfatchick
Because I learned the difference between “here” and “hear” more than 50 years ago
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, emma675 said:

10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I ended up going around the world by myself because no one wanted to go to Siberia with me.  I went by myself to Australia and New Zealand.  I travel with a group, but no one I know.  I did go to Kenya alone, but met up with a group of nurses and we took a nursing class there.. . .  I guess I just never think about it, I just go.  

7 hours ago, louannems said:

In 2011, I travelled solo to Japan for 11 nights.  

Tip of my hat to all the solo travelers, including @Scarlett45!

I'm one too. The "pack up and go" person. If I waited for someone else in my life to be ready and able to go with me on the trips I want, I'd have traveled very little over this past twelve years (since retiring from my full time so-called career). In the past I've traveled with family and friends, and have taken a few such trips since my retirement.

But most of my travel has been solo or solo-ish (on a group tour). Without knowing anyone else ahead of time, I've taken group tours of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Peru. (I traveled with a friend I made from the Australia tour, to Thailand a couple of years later.) And I have traveled solo (not in a group) to the UK five times in the last ten years. Most recently, nine days in London last November. I was, intentionally, there on November 11, the centenary of the Armistice that ended WWI. I also spent 10 days on a solo London trip in 2017, and did a two week trip with a BritRail pass in October 2015 that started in Glasgow and ended in London and covered a lot of ground in between. 

I may not make it to London again this year, for budgetary reasons. And, I've developed a yen to see Berlin. I keep getting to London and not making it across the Channel, and I know I will regret it if I never do. 

So, @emma675, I hope you can go to London, and share a bit of the trip with those of us who are armchair travelers at the moment!

@Fuzzysox, my condolences. It's so hard, even if you see it coming, to say goodbye to a parent. I hope your memories will be a comfort. 

Edited by Jeeves
grammar confuses me sometimes
  • Love 10

@Fuzzysox, adding my condolences.  Death is never easy esp with a parent & it is still hard even knowing they are in a better place & not suffering anymore.

Welcome back - hoping the snark will take your mind off of things for awhile.  Maybe you can whip up some of Jilly Muffin's recipes for comfort.  (Ha ha, just kidding. You will definitely end up in the ER with gastric problems if you do that.)

• Love 8
18 hours ago, emma675 said:

Not Scarlett, but I've done it a couple of times.  I'm fortunate to have a friend who lives there and I stay at her place while she works full time and I do my own thing.  Love it!  London is such an easy, accessible city.  I love to get an Oyster card and just hop on public transport and see where I end up.  I've done virtually all of the big tourist attractions, so now I concentrate on the smaller, more esoteric stuff.  Or I revisit some of my past faves to see what has changed (generally, better self-guided tours than in the past).  My friend is a lifelong Londoner and, when I ask if she wants to come see something, she always replies, "I'm sure I went there when I was 12.  It's a thousand years old, it can't have changed much." Well, she says that or "I suppose this is part of your obsession with the Tudors?" and, yes, it usually is.

I've also done Paris, Edinburgh and a couple other places on my own.  Highly recommended.

And, yes, that is a tea towel commemorating the Sussex wedding hanging in my kitchen along with a hand towel with a Buckingham Palace logo in the bath.  My friend sent them as gifts knowing I'd actually use them.

I've also traveled solo to Croatia (fantastic!), Greece (wonderful!) and took the Eurostar through the chunnel from London to Paris (fabulous!).  I don't have a huge circle to travel with and I make a lot more money than most of my family and friends, so, if I do go with someone else, I often end up paying their way, too.  It's fine by me, but I'm ok doing my own thing too.  Going with my sister to Israel on a tour end of May.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 11

Weird question time. Has anyone heard of exhaust fans in the bathroom. I worked in group homes that had them, and one of the local Laundromat has them in their bathrooms. I do not remember being in a house that had one. Maybe it is a new thing. The workers put one in our bathroom, and they should be finish installing it today.

The entire cost for the work including the new furnace and hot water heater is around eight thousand dollars. We were able to sign up for a program to cover the entire bill. They should be finishing up today.

10 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Weird question time. Has anyone heard of exhaust fans in the bathroom. I worked in group homes that had them, and one of the local Laundromat has them in their bathrooms. I do not remember being in a house that had one. Maybe it is a new thing. The workers put one in our bathroom, and they should be finish installing it today.

The entire cost for the work including the new furnace and hot water heater is around eight thousand dollars. We were able to sign up for a program to cover the entire bill. They should be finishing up today.

Exhaust fans in bathrooms are the norm around here (Colorado) in newer homes, from probably the 1960's or 1970's on. I owned homes built in 1890 and 1908 (yes!) that didn't have them, of course, until I remodeled the main bathroom in the 1908 house and installed one. I don't know if they are now required by our local building codes but they are so ubiquitous that they might be required.

ETA: a little quick research shows that exhaust fans are generally not specifically required in residential bathrooms by code, but some form of ventilation (window that opens etc.) is required. I assume that exhaust fans are the norm because they meet the code ventilation requirements, and IMO home buyers expect to have them these days. Because, yes, when they really work (aren't too small or too clogged/dirty) they are very nice to have.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Exhaust fans in the kitchen are a wonderful thing too along with new smoke detectors and a new carbon monoxide detector. I guess I will have to get use to exhaust fan in the bathroom.

It helps a lot in getting the moisture out of the air after you shower or bathe which is a good thing as humidity destroys wood, promotes mold growth and corrodes fixtures. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It helps a lot in getting the moisture out of the air after you shower or bathe which is a good thing as humidity destroys wood, promotes mold growth and corrodes fixtures. 

I also hope it will help my sinuses and sensitivity to smells. I can take a bath and not have any problems, but the weird thing is someone else can take a bath or shower, and it makes me sick.

10 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I learned this the hard way, even though my bathroom has a window. I read or was told to turn on the exhaust fan while showering and leave it on for 10 minutes afterwards. I get easily overstimulated, so the noise after the shower drives me BANANAS, but it appears to be worth it.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I learned this the hard way, even though my bathroom has a window. I read or was told to turn on the exhaust fan while showering and leave it on for 10 minutes afterwards. I get easily overstimulated, so the noise after the shower drives me BANANAS, but it appears to be worth it.

The noise can drive me crazy too since they hook the fan to the light switch (the fan turns on when you turn on the lights.) 

At least the noise is not as bad as the machine they use to put the insulation in the walls and ceiling. My husband was able to sleep through all the noise in the morning, but it would drive me crazy if I was trying to take a nap or was trying to sleep.

19 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

My deepest condolences. There are no words to describe how one feels when a parent passes away. Sad doesn’t describe it. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Exhaust fans in bathrooms are the norm around here (Colorado) in newer homes, from probably the 1960's or 1970's on. I owned homes built in 1890 and 1908 (yes!) that didn't have them, of course, until I remodeled the main bathroom in the 1908 house and installed one. I don't know if they are now required by our local building codes but they are so ubiquitous that they might be required.

ETA: a little quick research shows that exhaust fans are generally not specifically required in residential bathrooms by code, but some form of ventilation (window that opens etc.) is required. I assume that exhaust fans are the norm because they meet the code ventilation requirements, and IMO home buyers expect to have them these days. Because, yes, when they really work (aren't too small or too clogged/dirty) they are very nice to have.

My husband looked at a few manufactured homes with no windows in the bathroom. We have a window in our bathroom, but it is a pain to try to open. I was thinking of getting an air purifier for the bathroom, but I guess the fan will do the job.

The guy who did the majority of the work told me he did new insulation work on a 2008 manufactured home. He said insulation has improve in manufactured homes. I still could not believe it when we took a look at the old insulation (foam and paper.) We already saw the difference once the new insulation was being put in the first day.

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Most of my life I’ve lived in homes with exhaust fans in each bathroom. This is the first time I haven’t had one. I’m not sure if it’s worth it to install unless you have a LOT of people showering in your house and live in a very humid climate. 

I don’t miss having one, but I don’t think you’ll dislike it! Some find the noise soothing. 

• Love 4

We have fans in the two bathrooms that do not have windows and no fan in the one that does have a window. The bathroom with the window gets a lot more mildew than those with the fans. I am definitely pro-fan.

• Love 6

One of the bathroom exhaust fans my sister has is so quiet, you could leave it on accidentally.

I had a townhouse once upon a time that had an exhaust fan in a half bath. Made no sense , and it was loud. It had a light also, operated by the same switch, annoying. Thankfully the fan could simply be unplugged from the light. Nice and quiet.

• Love 2