Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, beckie said:

I've had recurring dreams of being pregnant. Feeling the growing stomach, and giving birth. Maybe its my mind's way of giving me the experience, since I'll never have it. 

me too! but since my brain doesn't actually have any idea of what happens during labour, in my dreams i stroll into the hospital, it goes white and i stroll back out, holding a baby. it's not very life accurate. the last one I had, i named Archer after the cartoon character. he's my dumb dream baby. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

me too! but since my brain doesn't actually have any idea of what happens during labour, in my dreams i stroll into the hospital, it goes white and i stroll back out, holding a baby. it's not very life accurate. the last one I had, i named Archer after the cartoon character. he's my dumb dream baby. 

I've only ever had one labor dream, and it occurred a couple weeks after my 2nd baby was born.  The dream was extremely vivid and realistic, and disturbing.  In my dream, my newborn infant slowly sucked back up into my vagina!  He was a well-loved, well-wanted child so it's not like I wanted to get rid of him!  I did love being pregnant so there's that.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 2

I have no children in real life, but I also have a recurring baby dream. I suddenly realize that I have a baby.  I'd forgotten about having a child, and the the baby hasn't been fed or changed in days. I feel terrible pangs of guilt. I think the child is symbolic of myself because for much of my childhood I didn't have a mother in my life. This is my subconscious mind's way of saying that I need to take better care of myself.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

I have no children in real life, but I also have a recurring baby dream. I suddenly realize that I have a baby.  I'd forgotten about having a child, and the the baby hasn't been fed or changed in days. I feel terrible pangs of guilt. I think the child is symbolic of myself because for much of my childhood I didn't have a mother in my life. This is my subconscious mind's way of saying that I need to take better care of myself.

Oh gracious! I, too, have the school dream that I am enrolled in a class I haven’t attended or even known about and now I have to go to the final. It’s like your baby dream but the baby dream is a zillion times worse! 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Oh gracious! I, too, have the school dream that I am enrolled in a class I haven’t attended or even known about and now I have to go to the final. It’s like your baby dream but the baby dream is a zillion times worse! 

I have those dreams, too, except that it's the first day of school and I don't know what courses I'm taking or where the classrooms are. I am walking around the campus hoping to see something familiar that will jog my memory.

• Love 5

After having read all these dream posts over the last couple of days, it was weird that Mr Jyn and I were just watching a show on TV this evening in which a character was having a combination dream of showing up to the final of a class she had never been to/being naked, and we started talking about some of those dream which we have both had as well. And as totally different as we are from each other, we have both had about 80% of those stereotypical dreams as well. It's so weird, considering, for example, that in our high school/college years we were for the most part, completely and utterly opposite in our attitude toward classes and such, yet still somehow share all sorts of details of the dreams, like forgetting locker combinations. 

• Love 6

My anxiety dreams for the last several years always feature my cats in some kind of jeopardy. When I have violent dreams featuring me, however, they are lucid and I am able to say "nope, not experiencing this" and wake myself up.

• Love 5

My recurring dream is about pets. Sometimes they are about my current pets and sometimes they are about pets no longer with me. In my dream, I have just forgotten about them. Forgotten to feed them, give them water, clean cage etc. I usually wake up in a panic, out of bed, looking frantically for it. I have to force my brain to slow down, think logically, and process this was just a dream. Why???  I swear, I am a good pet owner and none of mine have died from neglect 😬

Edited by HooHooHoo
  • Love 9
42 minutes ago, HooHooHoo said:

My recurring dream is about pets. Sometimes they are about my current pets and sometimes they are about pets no longer with me. In my dream, I have just forgotten about them. Forgotten to feed them, give them water, clean cage etc. I usually wake up in a panic, out of bed, looking frantically for it. I have to force my brain to slow down, think logically, and process this was just a dream. Why???  I swear, I am a good pet owner and none of mine have died from neglect 😬

Awww, a few years ago, after my beloved dog died unexpectedly, I so wanted to dream about him so that I could at least see him again. I never did though. Still haven't.

But I guess it wouldn't have been good to dream about neglecting him! 

• Love 5

O-ma-gosh, I’ve been reading to catch up for days.  Y’know, it’s much easier to fly around the different topics with y’all at the same time.  When you’re playing catch up, it’s near inasanity the way we flit around.  Someone makes a comment, and we spin off in that direction.  Ten comments later, someone (like they just woke up and wandered in rubbing their eyes) totally goes back to the subject 10 comments back.  And off we go in that direction.  We “sound” like a flock of those blackbirds that have some tiny invisible radar that says GO LEFT!  [Don’t you wonder about that sometimes?  Those huge flocks of birds - how do they DO that??  It really seems like there’s a bird up front with a little bird megaphone saying “EVERYBODY, DOWN!”  or “Ok, on the count of 3, 45 degrees UP!”   Let’s assume there’s a “head” bird.  Really?  So the 1500 other birds are just stupid?  Is the head bird probably stupid too, and is making all those directional changes because that bird is actually searching for the leader?]. Don’t get your pants in a bunch, @Christina87, i know how you feel.  

We kept a house we owned for several years - I loved that house and in MY dreams, I was going to live there again one day... But it’s been a pain to rent, and renters have reeked all manner of havoc.  My husband said, that’s it, we’re selling. It’s worth a lot where it sits, and we have good equity.  But the interior was dated and has had to be completely updated.  My husband is making me work.  Like really work.  I’m aching in places I’d completely forgotten about.  When you walk in from any of the three entryways, you are almost immediately in a big kitchen, and it was so awfully dated.  I want prospective buyers to say, “I am never leaving this place!”  So that’s been my job, my only job, that kitchen.  It’s going to be gorgeous, and I still want to live there.  Maybe I’ll put pics in when it’s done.  I’m typing this (not even kidding) with a towel wrapped heating pad on my neck.  I’m too old for this junk.  

I’m going to sound like a Duggar for a moment because I’ve had to pause and reconsider my youngest child lately.  He was my hardest to raise. Many times I didn’t think he would reach adulthood because I was pretty sure I was going to take him OUT.  SUCH a difficult child.  He’s stubborn, strong willed, selfish, self centered, has grandiose visions of his value to others, doesn’t love authority, will argue with a stump, and just doesn’t always play well with others.  Hard to love, seriously.  But: as fate would have it, I’m his mom so I do love him.  I swear, of all my kids, he was the one I expected to be visiting on family day at the jail.  He pushes all my buttons, and yet I love him like air.  

Recently, they sold a house too much for them and moved to a tiny house in the country.  They have chickens.  Chickens.  He (they) save money, they have dogs, a messy house, and kids.  (He’s the father of the little girl who has my heart in her fist, Kenna).  Also recently, his SIL has just fried her meth brain and gone crazy.  She’s in jail currently.   (In fact, as an aside, 3 out of 4 of my DIL’s immediate family members have been in jail within the last 2 months.  DIL is, essentially, the dark horse).   Just so happens the SIL has a little boy exactly 2 weeks different in age than Kenna.  He is a BALL OF FIRE.  Holeeeeeeee cow, he is a loaded maniac. Cutest kid, and loving, but... holy cow.  He never stops.  My son’s wife stepped in and took on this child.  She’s gone to DFCS and subsequently to court and has legal guardianship.  Together, they have worked tirelessly to make him feel safe and loved. They have clothed him, fed him (he eats like a trucker!), handled his moods, soothes him, reassured him, loved him, read to him, taught him, accepted him.  He is theirs.  Maybe for now, maybe forever, who knows.  It amazes me that this kid of mine has taken on this challenge and never once complained.  Never acted like there was an option.  Never once said “why is this my problem?”  I know him; there is room for amazement.  He’s blowing my mind right now.  

And as it turns out, I really could visit him in jail.  Drop off his lunch or bring cake for him on his birthday.  He’s a Marine, this kid of mine, though no longer active duty.  Now he’s a deputy sheriff in a nearby county, so I really could do that.

Enough.  I have a Kenna story.  Every now and then, I buy a big bag of chicken leg quarters and make a huge pot of chicken for my dogs.  They actually eat dog food, but I put a little chicken on it to make them think they’re eating people food. I throw everything but the bones in the food processor and freeze bags and bags of chicken.  For the dogs.  Yes, I do.  They don’t know they’re dogs, is the truth.  And they don’t know about the starving pygmies in New Guinea, or that they’re spoiled.  

When reading this, keep in mind that Kenna is THREE.

So today, I have a big pot of chicken simmering while the kids are here.  I went in the kitchen to check on it and stir.  Kenna wanders in and asks “Are you making dinner?”  Nope.  I’m making chicken for my dogs.  A pause, her eyebrows knit together.  

“Are you serious?

SHE SAID THAT TO ME!!!  I had to pick her up and squeeze her.  That look!!  Called out by a 3 year old who also doesn’t know about the starving pygmies in New Guinea.  Hahaha!!!

• LOL 17
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, HooHooHoo said:

This seems like such a horrible dream! I've had dreams before where a pet has died, and really woken up sobbing. On the plus side, when I realized it was a dream, I felt sooo relieved! 

My mom had a weird thing happen to her once. We have a golden retriever, and had another one before we got her. My mom was carrying laundry one day and came to a screeching stop when she saw our old dog in the hallway! She said she legitimately thought she was going to trip over her! It wasn't the dog that we currently have; she was nowhere in sight. To this day, my mom swears that she saw her. It was so strange!!!

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Does anyone own an iphone 6? I see walmart sells them for under $200 which is reasonable.  My question is, do you like the phone? How is the battery life? Any other comments. 

Thanks.

I had one, and my only complaint was the screen size and not enough memory (we had the base model). Verizon had a deal a couple years ago where they offered full trade in value when the iPhone 7 came out, and my husband and I both upgraded to a 7 Plus with more memory and we’ve been very happy. Just got new batteries to try and extend the life of these phones, the new models are so expensive!

Screen size aside, make sure you get as much memory as you can. It’s no fun to constantly run out of space. 

@Happyfatchick, I’ve been wondering where you were. I’ve missed you and your stories. Your son sure sounds like he turned out just fine, and you must be so proud. Ahhh, Kenna is a smart little thing, how funny! I’d love to be a fly on the wall in your house. Hope your neck and other muscles feel better. Yes, please show us finished pictures of your kitchen. Welcome back!

• Love 4

I've spent years reading about the Steve Anderson and Zsusususu Anderson family on Free Jinger.  I've never joined, just read as a guest.  Overnight, that subforum has disappeared.  So I actually joined to see her I could then see it and it's still missing.

Is it just me and my eyes or does anyone here know what's going on?  Their teenaged son was engaged to a teenaged girl, some old dirt was posted about the girl's parents, then now it's gone!

The subforum for that family was made private yesterday due to doxxing.  If you joined and still can't see it, you should email the help address.   I've heard it can take awhile for the registrations to be processed when something like a forum going private happens.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Does anyone own an iphone 6? I see walmart sells them for under $200 which is reasonable.  My question is, do you like the phone? How is the battery life? Any other comments. 

Thanks.

I do. The battery life was fine, although I did replace it this fall (still wasn't terrible). I like mine fine, but all I do is read email, the New York Times, use navigation, and text on it. I can't justify spending the money to upgrade.

• Love 1

I have a 6, @galaxychaser, and it hasn’t been the best phone ever.  It’s a couple years old now, and probably time to replace.  The screen sticks sometimes, and so etimes it just does odd things.  I’m used to it, and rarely get frustrated, so I haven’t bothered to replace it.  I never have replaced a phone until it’s beyond repair.  Or a car.  I’m old, I don’t like new things or learning new tricks.  Also, the 6 is pretty small.  I lose it a LOT (in my purse, on the counter, in the couch, wherever).  My husband would like it if I still had to lug around a bag phone.  (You’re too young to know about those.  HORRIBLE things!!)

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Thanks.

One thing you do need to be careful of is software updates.  Apple is notorious for planning updates that render older model phones useless.  It doesn't matter if you just bought the phone brand new the day before, once you do the update the phone is dead.  You do need to be careful about checking out online forums before doing the update.  The good thing is Apple probably won't program any phone-killing updates until the fall when they release the new model.  

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

One thing you do need to be careful of is software updates.  Apple is notorious for planning updates that render older model phones useless.  It doesn't matter if you just bought the phone brand new the day before, once you do the update the phone is dead.  You do need to be careful about checking out online forums before doing the update.  The good thing is Apple probably won't program any phone-killing updates until the fall when they release the new model.  

And keep in mind the 6 is the oldest phone model Apple has available. They're going to stop supporting it sooner rather than later, so while it might sound like a good deal now it might actually be an ultimatum poor investment. 

(Disclaimer, I upgraded from a 6 to an XR last fall after my battery life had degraded to nothing. It was a good phone and the Apple people said it was rare that it had battery issues, but I decided it wasn't worth the $200 cost to fix it. I had the phone almost 3 years, but I knew both Apple and app developers were going to stop supporting it and figured the money would be better served as an investment in newer technology.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

The subforum for that family was made private yesterday due to doxxing.  If you joined and still can't see it, you should email the help address.   I've heard it can take awhile for the registrations to be processed when something like a forum going private happens.  

And now I know what doxxing is😊  I, too, am grateful for your ratings updates.  Thank you!

• Love 1
On 2/26/2019 at 2:00 PM, jcbrown said:

Not really the same but when my mom was dying of Alzheimer's, she was in my dreams sick the way she was in reality. A couple of years after she died she started showing up healthy in my dreams and it was wonderful. Now my dad has Alzheimer's and he is sick in my dreams but my mom is well and helping to care for him.

Not exactly the same, but the night before my mother died after a short illness, I dreamed she got up out of a wheel chair and walked off into the distance.  The further away she got, the younger she got until she looked like her 20's.

• Love 18

I swear next year I will get a better snow shovel and find someone else to shovel the sidewalk, steps, driveway and clean the car off. My back, eyes, and sinuses cannot take doing the shoveling.

Almost two feet of snow in one month. Spring needs to get here. Not this weekend with the wind picking up and possible record below zero temps. Suppose to get warmer by next Wednesday. We can only hope.

I'm currently going through a rough patch. MIL is in Skilled nursing after suffering a UTI, but now has secondary symptoms. Hubby is undergoing ECT after an 11 day inpatient stay at the hospital because he was suicidal. My life is on ho!d as he can't leave the hospital on his own. He can't drive at all during the 3 weeks of treatment. I just hope this works. He's had some bizarre side effects, but thankfully they go away quickly. I think they backed off on the dosage today, as he's had no disturbing incidents since we got home earlier this afternoon. 

Once I knew everyone was stable, I had some vino. Can now breathe like I haven't been able to for the past couple of weeks. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm currently going through a rough patch. MIL is in Skilled nursing after suffering a UTI, but now has secondary symptoms. Hubby is undergoing ECT after an 11 day inpatient stay at the hospital because he was suicidal. My life is on ho!d as he can't leave the hospital on his own. He can't drive at all during the 3 weeks of treatment. I just hope this works. He's had some bizarre side effects, but thankfully they go away quickly. I think they backed off on the dosage today, as he's had no disturbing incidents since we got home earlier this afternoon. 

Once I knew everyone was stable, I had some vino. Can now breathe like I haven't been able to for the past couple of weeks. 

I am so sorry to hear this, @Sew Sumi. You have a lot on your plate. I really hope your husband improves and the treatments help. My dad needed these treatment when he was very depressed and suicidal a few years ago (90 years old, cancer patient). I do think the treatments helped, although it could not help his other medical conditions. Sending you hugs and wishes for an improved time ahead.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sorry for all that your going though and will pray for you and your family. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

So sorry to hear you and your family are going through so much. Hoping things do improve. 

• Love 7

I'm so sorry @Sew Sumi, that you and your family are having such a tough time right now. I hope it all turns out well for you. I know everybody says this and it can be hard to do but please try to take care of yourself while you take care of everyone else. Remember to breathe and eat and rest whenever possible. Also, remember that this is an awesome community and there is always someone to listen, encourage, and just let you vent. Feel free to PM me if it gets to be too much, I've been there and there is nothing you can say that will be wrong. Much love and virtual hugs coming your way.

• Love 6

@Sew Sumi  you & your family will be in my thoughts. Hoping things improve for all of you & like others have said, remember to take care of yourself. You seem to be a strong person & hope your strength helps you through. We are here for you. 

• Love 5

Oh Sew Sumi I'm so very sorry for all that you are going thru right now.  I'm having good thoughts for you and your husband and MIL.  Please vent to us if you have to.  And do take time for yourself.  

I'm eagerly awaiting Captain Marvel - it's gonna be nice to go into a theatre and decompress with something loud and action packed.  I wish there was something else I'd like to see in the theatre, but most everything right now is something I can wait for NF or blu.  Did anyone here see Fighting With My Family?  I am an old school rasslin' watcher and this actually looked like a lot of fun.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Awwwww, thanks everyone. I really hesitated to post, but realizing what a supportive community we have here chose to share. I could be defined as stoic, or the opposite of someone like @Christina87. 😀

I'm so glad you did post here!!! You and your family are in my prayers. I have no doubt that you will make it through okay, even if it is hard. My BFF's grandmother is in skilled nursing right now too, coincidentally. Hopefully they will be able to help and get your MIL out soon! Also, I'll be praying for your husband. I literally can't imagine how it would feel to find out someone you love was suicidal! I'm sure your love and care will go a long way, and you guys will be through this son. Prayers and good vibes coming your way!

• Love 5

I will be mostly lurking due to no internet for the near future :(.  Everyone stay well.

I myself am scared that I will have a stroke due to my blood pressure being very high.  Medication, excersise, diet don't seem to work :(.  I've been medicating etc for 5 months now. I hoped to see some positive results but so far nothing.

And it finally snowed 3 inches! Yay!

18 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I myself am scared that I will have a stroke due to my blood pressure being very high.  Medication, excersise, diet don't seem to work :(.  I've been medicating etc for 5 months now. I hoped to see some positive results but so far nothing.

I'm sorry to hear that. Can they try another medication with you? 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Caregiver's burn out is real. I hope there's a bunch of people around who can help you out. That's a lot to deal with. Take care of yourself.

I'm at a crossroads. Teaching college students was supposed to be a temporary gig to pay the bills while I apply out for the job I want. It's sucking my soul and taking up all my time instead. My students failed their last assignment. It's obvious they're typing out their assignments on their phones at the last minute on the way to school. They're not attending class and then all of a sudden sending me angry (yet well written) emails when they do poorly. I just finished marking their midterms and half of them didn't finish the exam despite having a cheat sheet and knowing the general topics ahead of time. They had 2 hours. Most handed it in within a half hour.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm following what has been done in previous years exactly because this isn't my forever career path. I feel like I'm being treated like a restaurant owner. They're paying for a service and therefore I should give them all As. I would have gone and taught dance classes instead if I wanted to be treated like a business owner.

I'm not gaining any traction towards my career goals because I'm constantly putting out fires with this class. I thought that I could pick up evening classes a couple times a year for the rest of my life depending on how this class went because I loved teaching when I was a TA.

I think I'm going to have to take the summer off and re-evaluate. I was going to teach again this summer but I think I'm going to turn it down. I need money but I can always figure that out later.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I will be mostly lurking due to no internet for the near future :(.  Everyone stay well.

And it finally snowed 3 inches! Yay!

Please try to pop in once in a while so we can know how you are. Can you go to the library once a week? That way you can keep in touch and we won't worry. 

• Love 7

I hope you got the car started. It's always something. I'd let you borrow mine if I knew where you lived and it was close. No, really, better you than my niece who wrecked it a month ago. Take care 

No need to be sad, @Love2dance, the car's been fixed. We planned to sell it after I got a new one but she borrowed it and wrecked it, setting our timeline back. That's why it is available for loan if someone needs it, just not the niece for a while.

• Love 2