Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: American Girl Doll

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Well I saw that coming about half way in.  I'm really disappointed, because while I agree with the auf, Sandhya for me brought something different and interesting to the runway.  And now...with the designers that are left, well frankly even if they aren't boring Nina, they are boring me.    

• Love 24

I thought Emily was a goner although I kind of liked her sweater. Glad that Sandhya and her tears are gone, especially after that pink nightmare she presented tonight. Truly hideous and no little girl would ever want to wear that.

I loved Kini's coat although his model was a little on the precocious side.

Koruna continues to bug. You can't tell the difference between a five year old and a fifteen year old? Which means a kindergartener and a sophomore are the same to you? Shut up.

• Love 13

Sandhya's super teary taking head really gave away the result, she seemed devastated.

The poster who mentioned last week that she is very childlike was right on the mark - as demonstrated by this week's creation, wow!?!?!? Maybe it is because Halloween is coming but my first thought was that it was a baby costume.

Her constant: "that's just want I wanted to do", this huge mistake was "my intention" were hard to watch. I was waiting for her to break out "I know you are but what am I?"

• Love 9

What wild doll characters are these?! What happened to Felicity and Kirsten?! And the one from WW2?! I never had an American Girl doll growing up, but I had many friends who did and I read some of the books. I guess they got a whole new flock of characters... Samantha I remember originally. And I remember when Addy and Josefina were "the new ones." But now there's a whole heap of other ones?? Before this episode started, I didn't think I would care at all...but now I feel miffed that the characters are different. I evidently had some latent nostalgic feelings about these dumb dolls!

I love how Tim is essentially like "Sandyha, your stuff is rubbish and I can't understand why the judges like it." Thank god the judges finally didn't "get it" either. But at least Sandyha is being consistent with the circus theme...! I was actually pretty shocked at the end when they aufed Sandyha. I know she got a lot of attention in the beginning of the episode, but that happens all the time (specifically in regards to Sandyha, I mean) and they still usually love her terrible looks. I thought they were just setting us up for some more "poor Sandyha the bullied designer" rubbish, and that Emily's "I'll do great in the kid's challenge!" was just the usual set-up for her going home. 

I fully agreed with the top 3 this week. I was sort of torn on who should have won: Korina was the only one of the 3 that really did something different (in the sense of not using same fabric/pattern) with the look, but Kini's outfit looked really great and he was the one who fully met the challenge (i.e. making a look that the American Girl company would actually sell). Ultimately, I agree that Kini deserved the win. 

• Love 12

The girls (the real ones) were so cute. Definitely professionals (or young models with training) - they knew how to work the runway! Except for Emily's model. She was fidgety the whole time. And it's getting kind of embarrassing the way Emily keeps saying: this is in my wheelhouse, this is one I'm going to win, only to place on the bottom.

• Love 8

Holy crow, but I actually liked Korina in this episode!  I liked how she handled Sandhya's rudeness at stepping in front of her in Mood and I loved her design and I think she should have won.  Kini's and Char's were also well done but I liked the "fun" aspect of Korina's skirt.

And I think the other designers would have been nicer or at least more pleasant if Sandhya herself at actually tried to be friendler.  I kind of got the feeling she kept to herlself and barely interacted with anyone so of course you're not going to make friends that way.  I also think Amanda was correct in that Sandhya. wasn't the least bit interested in Tim's critique because she doesn't think she has anything to learn because she already knows it all.  Kind of obnoxious.

I was also proud of all of the designers for being so nice to the young girls--they looked like they got along well with the little models and I appreciated that the adults didn't automatically dismiss the opinion  I liked that the gilrs were asked their thoughts on the designs and on the book characters.  Too cute!

• Love 8

This being Jonathan Murray, I have to now wonder if a huge part of the whole Sandhya love prior to this was to build up her role so that when she finally was auf'ed it would be something of a watercooler moment and social media storm for regular viewers to up interest in the show.  Because they tried so hard to make it up in the air and not once in the judges discussion did I hear any of them go after her for digging in her heels so ridiculously and so immaturely.  Sandhya seemed to think the judges were Strasboug Geese and she was making Shit foie gras.  I cannot believe that in the deliberation the judges didn't tear her a new one for that when Nina out the gate has been gunning at the slightest hint of hubris on the contestants' parts.

Plus Tim didn't crow about telling her so?  Really?  Yeah I want to roll that bean footage.

Kini did a good job and I thought worthy of the win.  As much as it pains me Korina's design could have won and I'd have been okay with that since it was such fun and I could see any of my nieces from three to thirteen being all over that dress.  I still don't like her though.

The rest were rather meh to me.  I could not believe having the 70s and having access to that fabric from American Girl, we saw what Mrs Roper gardened in instead though.  I wish it had been a double elimination and he had gone home as well.  You don't want to do an over worked trope and you still slap a piece sign on the back?!  And a mutant deformed one at that.  Boo hiss. 

Boy this season is really bad.

• Love 13

I love how Tim is essentially like "Sandyha, your stuff is rubbish and I can't understand why the judges like it." Thank god the judges finally didn't "get it" either.

I said a version of this sentence out loud to the tv right before Tim said it (...but the judges seem to like it). But it seems we all did! And that includes the other contestants. But not tonight. She had an interesting run. Does anyone know if she made one of the decoy collections at Fashion Week?

• Love 1

Loved Kini's dress and he did the best at fitting the challenge. Since the designers had the option to buy whatever fabric they wanted at mood, I wonder why so many ended up so drab? Korina made a cute outfit, but the skirt didn't look quite finished to me and it was apparent she was sewing it at the last minute. And who can't tell a 5 year old from a 15 year old? 

I was very surprised that Sandyha got the auf and not Emily. Emily's sweater was cute, but the outfit didn't fit American Girl and was too adult. Sandyha made an outfit for a baby, and it was ugly to boot. I think the judges didn't say more because they realized she had no interest in what they had to say and wouldn't try to learn from it. It is obvious she cares only about her own opinion which doesn't work well on a competition show. i was really annoyed at her for stepping in front of Korina at Mood too; another sign she thinks she is superior to everyone else.  I actually really liked Amanda's this time which is a first for me.

I was thinking about poor Fade and what he would do with this type of challenge. I can't imagine him doing American Girl stuff.

• Love 4

For the second week in a row, I actually generally agree with the judges.  That's a shock.

Good:

Kini:  Love, love, love.  Both pieces were gorgeous and looked great together.  As the judges said, this looks like it'd fit in perfectly in an American Girl store.  A well deserved win.

Char:  I also loved this.  She did a great job of referencing the doll's clothes and story.  The outfit was fun and sweet.

Korina:  Pretty dress and looks fun.  Korina, however, needs to cut back on the damn whining and learn to manage her time.  I still think she's not long for this contest.  Hopefully, she'll go home next week.   OMG, when she said that there's a lot of similarities between Native American culture and the culture of New Mexico!  Yeah, no freaking duh.   Has she noticed the pueblos and reservations?  She's not a bright person.   Her impression of New Mexico apparently came from reading the side of a jar of green chile salsa.

Bad: 

Sandhya:  Good grief, THIS was the week Sandhya should have brought out her colors, patterns, and sense of whimsy.   The outfit she made tonight wasn't age appropriate (as the judges said) and was sad in a very Pepto sort of way.   I was hoping she go with lots of blues and greens to represent water, linking to the sailing story, then make something shiny and fun.    I'm sad to see her go because I like having a designer who can really surprise me.  This week's outfit sucked, though.

Sean:  Heidi was right.  This looked like a crappy homemade jump suit.  Keep the jacket, then put something bright and funky under it.  Sean's outfit looked like a blending of Depression era prairie wear mixed with a drop of the 70's.  Not good.

Emily:  This could have been nice.   I think one of the major problems was the waistline of the skirt.  It looked like the skirt was up at about mid chest.  That threw off the proportions.   Keep the top, make the skirt out of one of the colors that's in the bright flecks in the top.  I'd even out the skirt's length but keep the petticoat layers.  Could have been saved.

Meh:

Amanda:  Nice enough dress.  Not great, not bad, but fine.  That Scandinavian-ish fabric in the jacket had nothing to do with Addie's story.   Amanda compared Addie's slavery story to the experiences of her pioneer ancestors.   How?  That both former slaves and homesteaders use quilts?   Stupid and insensitive.   So, I watched Amanda trying to figure out why she seems so fake.  Did you ever have a friend who really discovered an acting class in a big way?   All of a sudden the person goes from being normal to always being on stage and always sort of practicing the emotions and reactions rather than just living and reacting.  Amanda seems like that to me, like she's playing a character or practicing performing.

Alexander:  Forgettable.   Absolutely forgettable.  Looked like an outfit you could buy at WalMart or Kmart today on the summer clearance rack.

• Love 6

Sandyha made an outfit for a baby, and it was ugly to boot. I think the judges didn't say more because they realized she had no interest in what they had to say and wouldn't try to learn from it. It is obvious she cares only about her own opinion which doesn't work well on a competition show.

And yet she kept saying "I appreciate the feedback." But of course she didn't. It was so rote.

• Love 12

Sailing jumpsuit....WTF!  For the Good Ship Lollipop?

But she's was always the only child happy and strong.

But she was always nice and supportive to everyone.

People put her in a bad light?  No sweetheart, no need to get humble now.  You did that all by yourself!

• Love 15

Alexander:  Forgettable.   Absolutely forgettable.  Looked like an outfit you could buy at WalMart or Kmart today on the summer clearance rack.

45 minutes since the end of the episode and I can't hardly remember what it looked like... I actually had to rack my brain to remember, and all I really remember is "some sort of print conglomeration thing"? Maybe?

• Love 4

I think that eliminating Sandhya was the right call.  It did remind me of something my daughter would have worn when she was under 1.  Emily's might have been "too old" but most girls that age would rather wear something more grown up than younger.  

Kini's embodied Samantha perfectly.  I liked Korina's, but you could see there were places where the skirt was unfinished.

• Love 6

I'm not going to attempt to defend Sandhya's outfit tonight, but I do believe that it is a genuine shame that she was eliminated before many far less talented contestants. In addition, Tim's mentoring is often not in line with the judges opinions, so I don't think it is quite the needle drop moment shown in the talking heads to not take his advice. The only reason that Char was in the top three tonight was because she did not take Tim's advice and used fringe on the vest.

• Love 18

Guys, I am so happy right now. Kini won for real this time and he didn't have to share it with anyone. And Sandhya finally went home! Hooray! I was so sure it was going to be Emily. And then I got worried that they weren't going to eliminate anyone. But the judges have evidently had their sanity restored. Or Elizabeth Moss' vote didn't count for anything and Heidi and Zac outvoted idiotic Nina. Whatever works. And the model said unto them Auf Wiedersehen and there was much rejoicing.

Oh, right. I should weigh in on the clothes. I definitely liked Kini's and Korina's looks the best. His made perfect sense even if it was a bit derivative. It was well made and fit the challenge. Korina's look felt more 60's than Josefina (yes, I did have an American Girl phase) but it was very cute as well. I did not understand Char's look being in the top outside of the judges inexplicable attraction to fringe. I agreed with bottom looks for all the reasons stated though I also felt like Amanda did something to give her girl a long torso and Alexander's looked really poorly made though I couldn't pinpoint why. 

• Love 6

Shocking ending for me.  I was so sure that clip of Emily talking to her daughter and the bragging about her childrens' line was ominous.  The right person went home in my opinion.  Finally!  I don't think Emily will be far behind though.

I felt the same way. And I agree that Emily will not be far behind. I don't recall actually liking anything she's done. It's all ranged from totally forgettable to totally ugly. 

• Love 3

I felt the same way. And I agree that Emily will not be far behind. I don't recall actually liking anything she's done. It's all ranged from totally forgettable to totally ugly. 

Add me to this chorus, I definitely was bummed before the elimination that they once again telegraphed from the beginning who was going home via the repeat clips of her on the phone with her daughter, like they did last week with Fade. So color me very surprised when they auf'd Sandhya instead.

I can see the judges point, but I didn't think Emily's look was that bad. I liked the iridescent skirt and the craftsmanship of the sweater.

I'm not going to attempt to defend Sandhya's outfit tonight, but I do believe that it is a genuine shame that she was eliminated before many far less talented contestants. In addition, Tim's mentoring is often not in line with the judges opinions, so I don't think it is quite the needle drop moment shown in the talking heads to not take his advice. The only reason that Char was in the top three tonight was because she did not take Tim's advice and used fringe on the vest.

It doesn't bother me at all when designers don't take Tim's advice, since we've seen before that the judges don't always agree, or the contestants take his advice but in a wrong direction. But... there is something about the attitude with which the critiques are received. Char isn't my favorite by a long shot, but she listened to what Tim had to say and took it into consideration. Sandhya, like on the runway, seemed dismissive of Tim's critique.... and Tim could tell- he pretty much told her that he didn't have much guidance to offer her because he doesn't get what the judges keep loving about her work.

As to Sean, who someone else mentioned above... I don't think he was in the bottom because of not having fringe... I don't see that as something that would have saved the look.

• Love 4

I'll defend Korina on this and say I'm like that. Can they walk and talk? Excellent. Are they five or fifteen? No idea. But I'll talk to them like they're twenty-five :).

I'm like you. It's not that I don't like kids, I have seven nieces and nephews. But I have no idea what ages they are. I can tell five from fifteen, but just barely. And don't get me started on older teens, I pass by a high school on my morning commute, and some of them look like they're in their twenties. There was a sixteen year old boy at my nephew's birthday party last Saturday who had a full beard. No guys in my high school had beards. This kid could've gotten served at a bar!

I was happy to see Char finally in the top, and I'm glad she didn't take Tim's advice. I don't think fringes would've helped Sean. That print he chose just wasn't right for this challenge. I hate to say it, but I liked Korina this week. I had a lady try to cut in front of me at a store recently, and I didn't handle it quite as graciously as Korina did.

I don't know what Sandhaya's deal is, but she seems like someone who alienates people and then whines that people dislike her. I think she lacks social skills. Regardless, I'm fine with her being gone, as she has yet to make anything I understood or thought should win.

• Love 7

I don't know much about American Girls, but naming something "Beforever" made me want to "Prevomit" in my mouth a little.

What do you mean? Amanda is still there.

Amanda mentioned how much more relaxed she was feeling this episode, which is appropriate, as I'd feel highly relaxed too if I could make whatever lazy thing I wanted-- maybe making a smock out of a garbage bag and throwing on a Christmas ornament or two, while having no chance whatsoever of being eliminated-- and a very good chance of being in the top three-- even if the thing fell completely apart on  the runway, tripped up the model, and burst into flames.  Must be nice.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 17

I actually mostly agreed with the judges this week... it must be bizarre week on project runway or something...

I thought the top looks were the right ones for the most part, though I didn't dislike Emily's look as much as the judges.

I think they chose the right winner. Kini's dress was perfect and the jacket was beautiful, and overall it fit the challenge and the Samantha character perfectly. This was a win that Kini really deserved.

Korina's dress was also pretty good conceptually, and she was close with the execution, but you could really tell in the close up shots how rushed she was and how unfinished the blocks really were. But I definitely agree with her being in the top.

I'm not all that thrilled with fringe, but Char's dress was really cute, and I think the look with fringed ended up okay, so I'm fine with her being in the top.

Amanda's look was okay, but I definitely was thinking "safe" when it walked down the runway. Alexander's outfit on the other hand... ugh.. I hate the exposed zipper thing, which I know is in part a time thing... but it just looks so bad from the back. I didn't mind the fabrics he chose, but something about his look just hurt my eyes. I would have put that in the bottom over Emily.

Sean's was boring to me, so I agreed fully with the judges critique on his outfit.

Sanhya's outfit.... circus and onsie definitely come to mind. The little pelplum/tutu thing wasn't good in any way, the color just seemed like the wrong shade of pink and I didn't get sailor at all from that outfit, despite the buttons. She's not been a designer I've liked all that much, but more because all of the praise she'd been receiving for outfits that I found terrible... and I often FFwd a lot of the drama, since I don't care... but her responses on the runway sort of bugged. I'm glad she was eliminated, I think it was the right choice given the outfit she sent down the runway.

• Love 5

Well, I can't say Sandhya didn't deserve to go, her outfit reminded me of a circus clown. It was awful. I am however disappointed that we won't "see" her at Fashion Week, because I do think she had one of the better collections.

I said this last week, and I'll say it again, while Kini's looked good, it was derivative, not referential. As the judges said, it was Chanel and Vivienne Westwood. I remember when they disliked that, I remember when it irked the judges when a designer was too derivative and didn't have their own strong designing voice. I thought this was a design competition. I give up.

I would have given Korina the win.

• Love 6
As to Sean, who someone else mentioned above... I don't think he was in the bottom because of not having fringe... I don't see that as something that would have saved the look.

Unless the fringe completely obcured the horrid jumpsuit underneath, I don't think fringe on the jacket would have helped much.  It wasn't as bad as Sandhya's jumpsuit, though.

I have to plead,  yet again, stop with the jumpsuits!  How many have we seen so far? 

• Love 5

Emily's sweater was so very much like many of the sweaters and ponchos that were for sale at Children's Place about 7-8 years ago. I know because I dressed my daughter in many of the same type sweaters and I actually really liked it even if it was outdated. Even the colors were the same. I didn't like the bottom as much, but I thought not-quite-a-peace-sign jumpsuit was much worse. 

But the right designer went home. That was seriously so terrible. I can't picture any girl over the age of 2 being okay in that mess. 

Edited by oceanchild3
  • Love 6

At least 2 of those girls wouldn't have been able to use the bathroom without help. No one wants an outfit like that. What were they (designers) thinking? Who is gonna snap Sandya's girl after she pees? Or Sean's? Weird.

• Love 4

Couldn't stand the delusional arrogance of Sandhya; good riddance.

Again there was some blaming of the situation from Sandyha. Last week it was that the rain wasn't strong enough. This week it was (paraphrase) "I did the best that I could with the parameters of the challenge." For me, no. It wasn't the challenge that was the problem. If I looked her outfit, I would not have guessed "daughter of a sea captain who secretly dreamed of being captain of her own ship/yacht."  There was no sea * or captain elements there. A play on a naval uniform might have been a bit cliche, but at least would've looked nautical instead of 2 year old in (almost) footy pajamas.

* and her decal-like things wouldn't have counted either. They might have elevated her design to like 3 or 4 years old, but that would've been about it, in my opinion. That's the kind of thing I bought my niece or nephew when they were that age - the shirts with the safari animals and elements on them or the various construction trucks and hard hats - like this is what I want to be when I grow up, because this is all I know about being this supposed thing: these random objects associated with it. Instead she should have incorporated elements of an actual captain's uniform - a girlyed-up jacket, maybe a girlish cap with a bow or something on the side instead of an emblem. A bright frilly ascot? Maybe that's too on the nose, but better - or at least more age appropriate - in my opinion, than what she actually made.

@teebax - And don't get me started on older teens, I pass by a high school on my morning commute, and some of them look like they're in their twenties. There was a sixteen year old boy at my nephew's birthday party last Saturday who had a full beard.

I too would be clueless. There is just too much variation with how teens age. I have a beach photo of myself at 16 1/2. I'm standing next to a 13 year old... She looks older than me. Heck, I can't even guess properly how old adult people are and want to flee if asked "how old do I look to you?" (Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!) There are so many ways that answering that could go wrong.

@bobbyjoe - Amanda mentioned how much more relaxed she was feeling this episode, which is appropriate, as I'd feel highly relaxed too if I could make whatever lazy thing I wanted-- maybe making a smock out of a garbage bag and throwing on a Christmas ornament or two, while having no chance whatsoever of being eliminated-- and a very good chance of being in the top three-- even if the thing fell completely apart on  the runway, tripped up the model, and burst into flames.

Hee, but wouldn't that then be unexpected and potentially considered "elevating" the garment - especially if it burst into flames. It would be transforming the garment into something unexpected - in that case: ash. The falling off would be considered necessary so as to protect the model from the flames during "transformation". ; ) .

• Love 6

Thank goodness we don't have to be subjected to more Sandyha monstrosities any more!  I find it funny that she's rude and arrogant to others, but the second she receives criticism, the tears are flowing and everyone is "being mean" to her.  She basically told the judges to "f*$% off" with the way she responded to their critiques on the runway.  I wish Tim Gunn had given the tough love speech to her earlier in the season.  She truly thinks she's "all that and a bag of chips". I'm just hoping the PR producers see the majority of their fan base do not like her so she's not brought back for All-Stars.

• Love 12

Even though we, the audience, didn't hear the brief, the designers were clearly told to design for an 8-12 year old because the American Girl judge talked about it. The more successful designs basically took what is successful for the teen market and miniaturatized it for tweens. The least successful designers only thought about infants and toddlers.

• Love 3

I don't know what Sandhaya's deal is, but she seems like someone who alienates people and then whines that people dislike her. I think she lacks social skills. Regardless, I'm fine with her being gone, as she has yet to make anything I understood or thought should win.

I'm willing to give Sandy the cultural benefit of the doubt.

I haven't had very much exposure to persons from other countries.   However, in college, I briefly met a guy from India who left an indelible impression thanks to his nonchalant offensiveness.   He didn't mean to be offensive.   He just had a tin ear when it came to American manners and sensitivities.    He would casually observe that your living quarters seemed a bit shabby.   Or that your car appeared to have had a few owners before you.   Or that you didn't seem to have a lot of money to spend to go out.

They were all truthful observations stated in a very matter-of-fact way.   To this day I believe he spoke without malice.   But thank God I didn't have to suffer his presence for more than an evening because I wanted to kill him by the end of the night. 

Sandhya frequently reminded me of that fellow.

Having said that, I am disappointed that Sandhya never introduced more of her native aesthetic into her designs.   I love Indian fashion, Bollywood styles, all of that.   I had really hoped she would bring some of the color and sensuality of India to PR.

• Love 12

That was the first episode I watched live/sober in a long time.  Are there always only 5 minutes of actual content in the last half hour?  So many commercials!

I finally appreciated one of the giant polls- showing that 96% of voters agreed with Tim about Sandhya, or something to that effect.  It could have been 3 people voting for all I know, but it was a nice moment because aside from her pre-show stuff I didn't get her.  I'm glad she's gone.  She kind of had to go, it's about that time in a reality competition's season when a frontrunner gets taken down to show us all how high the stakes are.  It's interesting to experience that as a bit of a relief, instead of pure shock at the loss of someone awesome.  

Even aside from that- if you won't at least pretend to validate the judges' opinions, they can't get off on making you better, so you're useless to them.  I think that's really why she lost tonight.  That, and the little girl sold her out.

I wonder if they should swap out Tim for someone else.  I like him just fine, but in his conversation with Sandhya it seems like he was admitting he's out of sync with the judges.  If he can't coach people to success...maybe he should take on a different role.

Fringe seems to be a key to success.  I wonder if people will pick up on that and start doing more of it.

• Love 2