Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: American Girl Doll

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Sandhya's super teary taking head really gave away the result, she seemed devastated.

The poster who mentioned last week that she is very childlike was right on the mark - as demonstrated by this week's creation, wow!?!?!? Maybe it is because Halloween is coming but my first thought was that it was a baby costume.

Her constant: "that's just want I wanted to do", this huge mistake was "my intention" were hard to watch. I was waiting for her to break out "I know you are but what am I?"

Initially I supported Sandhya because I had hoped we'd start to see more creative work, but instead she slipped more and more each week.

It was her time to go, but I'd argue that her time was two weeks ago. I think the way she spoke to the judges kind of sealed her fate. They don't seem to like when a designer defends his or her design. I thought they were supposed to stay true to their vision while working within the confines of the challenge requirements.

The people who did that were Kini, Char, and Korina.

I thought Sandhya's look was terrible and not something a 9-year-old girl would wear. I did admire her composure after she was auf'ed. I felt she was at her most genuine in that moment.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

What wild doll characters are these?! What happened to Felicity and Kirsten?! And the one from WW2?!

That was Molly. Mattel bought American girl in the late 90s and have been pumping out new dolls since. They have retired older dolls. Additional side note, an employee at American Girl place told me that original pleasant company dolls are worth a lot, do not ever send them in for repair or anything.

I love these design for real people challenges. Kids are more fashion savvy these days and what sandhya designed would never fly. It was just so tacky. I really hope production made Elizabeth moss say she thought kids would like it more than Emily's. The crotch seam going up into the high waist line alone would not be touched by any 9-12 year old. Long camel toes will never be in fashion.

Thank goodness she is gone. Her victim mentality was a bit much. People calling you out on your shit isn't being mean, it is standing up to you.

• Love 9

Shocking ending for me.  I was so sure that clip of Emily talking to her daughter and the bragging about her childrens' line was ominous.  The right person went home in my opinion.  Finally!  I don't think Emily will be far behind though.

Me too, I was waving goodbye to her when I got a big (and pleasant) surprise.

Even with the losing looks, I didn't hate anything this week which is unusual. I just have a couple of likes, & the rest are just OK.

Liked

Korina-Loved all the tiers, I thought this should have won

Amanda-I liked the mix of patterns

OK

Char-Too much fringe, it overwhelmed everything, but the dress was very cute.

Alexander-A little busy, but cute

Sandhya-Too young & pajama-like, but WTF? the judges use the word circus this week? And did she blame the other designers for convincing the judges to eliminate her?

Kini-I thought it was too grownup at first, but when I think about the story, it makes sense. Interesting that the most grownup look won.

Emily-Too costumey, but the backstory is the girl wants to be an actress, so I guess it works. I felt bad for the model, the thing over her face was clearly bothering her.

Sean-Too pajama-like

• Love 2

I must say, this was one of the few runways this season where I liked most of the stuff.  Although....

1. American Girl Dolls have creepy eyes, one of them was staring right at the camera behind a designer when they were talking, and it was just weird

2. Sandaya - insert eye roll.  I get being confident in your work, but when you ignore what everyone is saying you start to look like an asshole.  I'm not sure if she has ever been in the bottom before, but I get the impression that her claws came out and the judges were surprised with her attitude.  And how she doesn't think cutting in front of people in a time sensitive situation is not rude is confusing to me.  I bet you 10 billion dollars that if anyone had done that to her at Mood she would have had something to say.  She never even asked Korina.  

3. Tim - I liked Tim this episode.  I know he just saved Char because he likes her, but their relationship is kinda cool.  And he finally got real with Sandaya instead of trying for some attempt to save his reputation after UTG.

4.  Models - no little girl is ugly, but I think Amanda's and Char's little models were just absolutely gorgeous.  As for Emily's model, part of me thinks that she put on a bit with all the obvious scratching and sticking her tongue out.  I can't imagine that Emily made something that uncomfortable, even if it was ugly.  Having said that, why did Emily put that piece of fabric over the little girls face??

5. Kini - goodness, I loved, loved, loved, loved both of his pieces.  I don't know that I like the jacket over that dress per se, just because the dress has so much volume, but I loved both pieces.  He deserved that win

6. Elizabeth Moss - I thought she was a great guest judge.  I agreed with everything she said, and she didn't make it a point to be OTT mean.  Oh, I take that back, I prefer Emily's to Sandaya's for a little girl, but other than that, I agree with everything Elizabeth Moss said.

7. Emily's - I agree with the lady from American Girl, I think it could have been a great look if it was: a) a little brighter, b) the skirt was a different color, c) the sweater and the skirt worked better to create a more defined waist and d) if she had totally gotten rid of the face cloth.  Its a shame, because I really think it could have been very cute.

8. Korina - I think this is the first time I've really liked something Korina sent down the runway.  I mean I really liked it, so good on her.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 5

I'm willing to give Sandy the cultural benefit of the doubt.

I haven't had very much exposure to persons from other countries.   However, in college, I briefly met a guy from India who left an indelible impression thanks to his nonchalant offensiveness.   He didn't mean to be offensive.   He just had a tin ear when it came to American manners and sensitivities.    He would casually observe that your living quarters seemed a bit shabby.   Or that your car appeared to have had a few owners before you.   Or that you didn't seem to have a lot of money to spend to go out.

They were all truthful observations stated in a very matter-of-fact way.   To this day I believe he spoke without malice.   But thank God I didn't have to suffer his presence for more than an evening because I wanted to kill him by the end of the night. 

I would generally agree, but I think a tin ear is a tin ear, and IMO, it should be one of those things where you don't hear your own subtle rudeness, and you shouldn't hear anyone elses either.  But Sandaya's crying and complaining about people treating her poorly doesn't seem based on any one thing that a person has said to her, but just how she feels.  If she has an ear sensitive to hearing all the unsaid things that makes her think people don't like her, then her ear is sensitive enough to know when she is behaving like a jackass.

• Love 16

I was "American Girl age" in the 70s. Sean's print -- that Little House on the Prairie look -- was actually quite popular. It brought me back. When they were talking about bright colors, outrageous patterns -- that is the romanticized version of the 70s. A lot of clothing was butt ugly. That cute fabric that the Julie doll had on her clothes was nothing you would have ever found. Lots of rainbow prints. Polyester. It was a scary, scary time. 

• Love 17

I agree with others that her steadfast adherence to her outfit and her dismissive attitude towards the judges' comments are what sent Sandhya home.  I think that the small glimpse we got from Mood when she cut in front of Korina was typical of her behavior towards the others and we just haven't been shown it before.  If it had been an accidental cut in line, there would have been apologies and then getting behind the other person.  Instead, when Korina pointed out that she was there, Sandhya said yes, I know, and just went ahead with her order.  Very rude.  Interesting though that Sandhya then had a talking head in which she stated that she did not know why Korina did not like her.  Also, while she was crying about how nobody liked her Emily was right there comforting her.  No appreciation from Sandhya or even acknowledgement of Emily's kindness.  I was so pleased when Tim was like 'I just don't get it.'

I think we'll see happier contestants as not only will they not have to deal with Sandhya's attitude, they also don't have to try to figure out why the judges like her so much.  Having said all that though, I do wish her well and am sure that there is some type of market for her clothes.

• Love 9

The only reason that Char was in the top three tonight was because she did not take Tim's advice and used fringe on the vest.

She also substantially changed that vest.  Her first incarnation, the one Tim saw, was very Little Annie Oakley.    She really improved it by only having those lines of color along the top, then lots of long, fun fringe.

• Love 2

I agree with others that her steadfast adherence to her outfit and her dismissive attitude towards the judges' comments are what sent Sandhya home.  

I think she was burned out.   That night of crying was the end of her.  We saw a similar thing with Fade.  When the emotions become forefront, you're too tired or wiped out to produce what you would have in week one or two.   It's like a runner fading back from the pack.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 8

As to Sean, who someone else mentioned above... I don't think he was in the bottom because of not having fringe... I don't see that as something that would have saved the look.

Probably not, but I do think I could have taken him more seriously if he'd have done a proper peace sign.

• Love 4

Probably not, but I do think I could have taken him more seriously if he'd have done a proper peace sign.

And for heaven's sake made something FUN.   I was in elementary school during the hippie era.   That outfit was the kind of thing my mother made me.  She was saving money by sewing clothes herself and trying with her 1950's sensibilities to make me the hippie outfits I wanted without making something Dad or my teachers would object to.    Sean's outfit looked like it was made at home with whatever fabric Mom or Granny had left over from making housecoats.

• Love 7

The girls (the real ones) were so cute. Definitely professionals (or young models with training) - they knew how to work the runway! Except for Emily's model. She was fidgety the whole time. And it's getting kind of embarrassing the way Emily keeps saying: this is in my wheelhouse, this is one I'm going to win, only to place on the bottom.

I don't know what her children's line looks like but based on this outfit, does she design for Goth kids?

• Love 4

Sean's model, poor girl...I could tell exactly what she's going to look like at age 60, thanks to that faded out gardening ensemble. It made her look like she had a booze gut.

Buh-bye Sandhya. If you were half as good as you think you are that would still be twice as good as you really are.

I enjoy the real life models when they look like they're having such a great time. I thought Char's model was really darling.

Alexander. I swear I forget about him even before he's off my screen. WTF. Someone has hacked Lifetime's fan favorite voting for certain.

Kini's pieces were really cute but I agree that bulk over bulk wasn't the best way to go. But it's high time he got a solo win.

Amanda. Please stop talking. And take Korina with you.

• Love 5

I don't like Korina but I did relate to her hesitation to working with children. I'm the same way. She handled it a lot better than I would.

Kini's was amazing. If Elisabeth Moss gets one in her size I want one in mine.

I loved Tim's shock and horror about the dolls tragic backstories. "So, Addy and her mother have just escaped slavery." "Oh my god!" If Kirsten was featured he could've heard about how her friend died of cholera on a boat. That was some pretty heavy stuff for 7 year old me to handle.

• Love 9

Sandhya's outfit was terrible and the worst of the day, but I'd rather have had Emily go home.  I can't remember anything she's done all season and am not even mildly curious about what a runway show from her would like.  One of my major criticisms of this show is how it's gone from Project Runway to Project Gap, where people are rewarded for sending down things that look like you could buy them off-the-rack at any shopping mall.  For better or worse (and I freely admit it was often worse), Sandhya's designs were never ordinary.

• Love 11

Even though I think Sandhya contributed to other designers' dislike of her by her insensitive and thoughtless comments, I also felt like Korina was always resisting the urge to be really nasty to her but was conscious of the cameras and therefore limited herself to a few bad comments (probably watched the Gretchen season).  I think Sandhya was just clueless as to why she was so disliked.  It's really easy for a group of people to develop a pack mentality toward one person.  I could easily see Korina, Amanda, Sean and maybe others going all 'mean girl' on Sandhya over the course of the season if she hadn't been eliminated.  It also didn't help that she was winning challenges early on.

I was waiting for the judges to comment on Korina's poor construction of some of those hanging chads - er, tabs.  It was noticeable in the close-up view (loose threads).  But nope, no comments.

As others have said, Tim Gunn needs to stop helping - he isn't.  Then he backtracks during the judges' up-close look at the garments.  The close-up of Sean's face when the judges were praising Char's fringe when Tim had told him to remove his planned fringe, showed even the producers were aware of this issue.  

For once, I agreed with the judges' decisions. Kini deserved the win for his design this week and Sandhya's onesie deserved to be eliminated.  I don't think Kini's design was super original, but it was very well made and fit the girl & doll perfectly.

One quibble, though... From what I could tell, the American dolls all have different stories.  Some are rich, some are poor.  And they come from different eras.  Yet it seemed like the top designs were all like something a well-off girl would wear.  For example, Kini's design was definitely for a rich girl, so how would a girl from the Depression-era have a winning design?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

I think that the small glimpse we got from Mood when she cut in front of Korina was typical of her behavior towards the others and we just haven't been shown it before.  If it had been an accidental cut in line, there would have been apologies and then getting behind the other person.  Instead, when Korina pointed out that she was there, Sandhya said yes, I know, and just went ahead with her order.  Very rude.  Interesting though that Sandhya then had a talking head in which she stated that she did not know why Korina did not like her.  

That was such a light bulb moment for me. I rapidly came to dislike Sandhya on a very visceral level pretty early on, and although we've been shown a great deal about her to dislike, it generally takes a while for the season's major annoyance to piss me off that badly (it took me weeks for Helen).

It wasn't until I saw her be bluntly, aggressively rude to Korinna - unusual, in our little fading flower of retro feminism - that it hit me. Sandhya was bluntly, blatantly rude because there were no authority figures - no men whose authority she was required to recognize, and no judges - present. In her relationship to patriarchal power hierarchies, Sandhya is basically a woman of the fifties, and she expresses aggression like a woman of the fifties.

She presents herself to the people she's obliged to defer to as a compliant person who knows her place (with the little girl voice and the constant massaging of the judges, which I'm going to guess teachers really loved too). Everyone else needs to get the fuck (to use a word she seems to be fond of, based on her textiles) out of her way, because she knows exactly who she needs to defer to, and it's not them, and the world is a place where you either defer or are deferred to. Bonus: the judges and Tim know she's a Good Girl, so they'll punish anyone who's tacky enough to resent her special treatment or her bad behavior. 

Goodness knows it's not that they dislike bullies. Just ask Angela. Or better yet, Helen.

I'm very grateful she's gone. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 12

I turned the TV on to watch in my barely-awake morning haze, and was astounded to hear Alexander speaking with a strange accent.  It took me a few seconds to realize it was actually Sean.  At a quick glance, they do strongly resemble one another.  So -- maybe Alexander is getting all of Sean's votes for fan favorite every week???

And how funny is it that Kini actually IS trying to look like a troll doll?  That's adorable. 

• Love 7

Sandhya has got to be one of the least self-aware people I've ever seen:  "I have a thick skin!"  "I'm always happy and smiling!"  *sob*sob*cry*weep*"Everybody is so mean to me!  Nobody likes me!"    "I'll take your criticism!" *You are all completely wrong.  My work is perfect!*

I'm willing to give Sandy the cultural benefit of the doubt.

I live in an area with a good-sized first and second generation Indian-American population, so I have quite a few friends who were originally from India.  None of them act anything like Sandhya.  I'm glad she's gone.

• Love 13

The irony of it just dawned on me...Sandhya's design "aesthetic" all season has been childish-looking clothing.

So the challenge that sends her home is?

Right, she should have ignored the whole designing for a 9-year-old thing, and just sent one of her "adult" designs down the runway. It would have been perfect!

• Love 4

The AG demographic is girls who think they're too old for dolls, but can justify it with the AG dolls because they're more mature. The AG clothes for girls tend to be a bit on the conservative side, nice, structured, and cute.

Kini and Char have the right idea. Kini's outfit looks like one that would be sold as a dress outfit, and Char's is more like the play version. Both look like they'd fit into the AG store and moms/grand moms would buy them.

Sandyha just seems to miss the age. For a toddler playing with Bitty Baby, maybe, but not for an 8-12 yr old 'tween.

• Love 3

did my hearing deceive me or is designing something that looks like Chanel and Westwood a good thing, whereas doing something that reminds the judges of McQueen is criticism? oy, with the poodles already!

Sandhya's design was not good, Sean's was blah and what was Emily thinking ... but why the hell was Alexander not sent home?

I don't mind the Auf, but Sandhya's collection for FW was one of the best this season and with Fäde gone aswell we are left with those designers who do most of their stuff in uninspired black/white/unicolour fabrics.

• Love 3

Heidi spoke the words that had already come out of my mouth with regards to Sean's outfit. Although I called it a Simplicity pattern and she said McCalls. But it totally looked like something my mother would have sewn from those little pattern packets you bought at Woolworths in the 70s. And then she was the one who rightly pointed out that his peace sign was missing a line, which I noticed as soon as he'd sewn it on the back. But it was such a boring jumpsuit. I'm glad he wasn't eliminated, though, because this was hopefully a one-off misstep. Hopefully he can get his inspiration back for next challenge.

Sandyha just totally missed the mark here. It really did look like a onesie for a toddler. And I loved at the end when the judges pressed the girl to ask if she REALLY liked it. Some of those girls seemed relatively normal, but most of them were those annoying preening showbiz kids you just want to punch. Ugh.

I really don't understand how Alexander is winning fan favorite every single week. His designs are mediocre and he barely gets any screen time. You'd think some of the designers the editors favor would be getting more votes. Is Alexander's mom just sitting at her computer spamming away week after week?

• Love 12

I was a young teenager in the mid 70s and never played with dolls, not even Barbies, so the doll part of the challenge gave me no reference. Sean's outfit, to ME, said nothing 70s at all. I realize that not everyone wore loud colors and prints, but that print was very bed sheety to me; the jumpsuit was poorly fitted and the vest was a giant yawn.

Not a Sandhya fan, but with this group of designers, I'm sorry to see her whack a doodle doo-ness depart. Once again, including season 12, I'm actually not caring that the season is winding down.

Emily's was just awful from start to finish. My grandmother used to crochet afghans that looked like that sweater and the skirt proportions were terrible. Her model didn't help though and the gagging and licking the face veil was a bit OTT. That said, I'm ready for both Emily AND Alexander to exit the building.

Kini's was not that original but I'm glad he won. The dress and coat were lovely together and had some very nice details. He's very thoughtful, and if he IS just a seamstress, as Sean keeps trying to imply, he still manages to get some design in there. I also loved that he talked about his troll dolls and own hairstyle.

Korina's was nice, not horrible like most of her stuff, but I still can't like her. Even though she hasn't been AS heinous the last couple of episodes, I can't get past my initial feelings for her. We had weeks of her acting like a shrew.

Char can go anytime now too; I liked the vest okay, but it was SOOOO almost a copy of what the doll was wearing that I was a little taken aback. I did like that she cut the fringe to give a little different look, but I still don't get what's so great about her. In the workroom tonight, we did get confirmation, though, that Tim saved her because he likes her and not necesarily because of her design talent.

I WAS looking forward to this dreck being over and seeing who and what was going to happen on All-Stars, but Alyssa Milano returning as host and Helen being a designer have even ruined that for me.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

Emily's sweater was cute, but the outfit didn't fit American Girl and was too adult

Which I  also found strange since she is supposed to be a semi-sucessful children's wear designer. I know young girls often want to seem older but still...Which, actually may be the key to her success.

One quibble, though... From what I could tell, the American dolls all have different stories.  Some are rich, some are poor.  And they come from different eras.  Yet it seemed like the top designs were all like something a well-off girl would wear.

Back in the day when I was studying theatrical costume design I recall the professor saying something along the lines that basically all the peasants looked about the same, give or take a hem length or something. A field worker or factory drone's clothing wasn't a fashion statement. At the time I was a bit taken aback but she was right. If you want to sell high end doll clothes (American Girl ain't cheap) then you sell the fantasy. I promise that they sell more outfits like Kini's than maid's uniforms.

Also--I was surprised that the prize wasn't having at least the possibility of having the winning look added to the AG line.

• Love 3

The girls were such a treat...I get so tired of models who look like they've eaten lemon wedges.  Emily's model was so bored...what a dumb idea to put netting on her face.   I liked Kini's little plaid coat, but all those ruffles pushing out in front were not very attractive.  I couldn't figure out what that extra material was in Alexander's design (just below the top)--it gave her an odd bulge that nature didn't intend.  I actually liked Emily's sweater jacket, but not with that tiered skirt which seemed pretty unflattering to me.   Piling on tiers and ruffles on a tiny frame is not attractive to me (but I'm not a fashionista).  What I liked about Korina's dress is that the outfit had a natural waistline and seemed to suit her model in size and personality.   I was in high school in the late 60's and Sean's print would have been one I would have seen in the long "granny" dresses that the teens liked to wear at the time, but I didn't like the jumpsuit idea.  Jumpsuits are difficult to deal with at the best of time...on an active girl, they are a nightmare (and, yes, I had one in high school and I grew to hate it).  And then there is Sandhya.  I understand she has a compelling personal story (women in India are often not treated well and she has made her political activism part of her fashion vision, though I get the feeling Sandhya herself has been pretty coddled by her family and friends) but that has nothing to do with what she created.  That silly peplum thing looked tacked on--maybe it was supposed to be a lifesaver that the girl would use if she fell off the ship (full disclosure, as a woman with hips, I hate peplums).  She either picked up on Tim's dislike for her nautical patches, or decided on her own not to use them, because she changed to buttons, but that didn't really make much difference in the design (why not make them working buttons so the girl could get in and out of her outfit on her own instead of needing help with a back opening?)...I really saw nothing about the outfit that linked to the doll's story. Since Tim and the judges don't seem to be on the same page (they love fringe; he clearly does not), the designers are wise to pick and choose what advice they take from him.  I do appreciate the fact that Tim admitted that he just didn't get Sandhya's designs and he would do her no favors by offering suggestions.  Sandhya has a vision (just as Patrictia did) that no one can give her advice, and there's really no reason to battle someone with a closed mind. Personally I think I would have given Korina the win.

Mom and I both hated Kinis, apparently were alone in this. It didn't look fun or childlike to me. It looked like a 12 year old trying to grow up too fast. Did not care for it at all.

Loved Korinas... Nailed it, it was cute, childlike but also chic. I'd have worn it in a heartbeat. I'd wear something like it now but in red, it says child. Which is good. I think it's a problem if the adult can wear exactly the clothes for the kid,,, the kids is too mature. Just wrote about a musical in which the kids were bringing their own outfits, and saw what kids 7-12 think is fun.l bright colors, some sparkles, a peplum here and there.

Sandhyia, ugh. So NOT a tomboy outfit. Putting little anchors on it doesn't make it nautical (glad she let that go). And what is "I beg to differ?" Of COURSE you beg to differ you made the freaking thing, shut up and listen. The poor me stuff is laughable, my sister in law recently snapped at someone who wasn't interested in a celebrity death, "I am a compassionate person." This is same things. Sandhyia you are not strong or confident or nice. You are arrogant and delusional.

I do feel this crop of designers lacks, I'm not excited by anybody.

ETA: no sympathy for designers who say they don't understand kids. Most of them are young. Think! You used to be one! If *i* can remember favorite outfits from third! sixth! eighth, grade and I'm not a designer, surely you can. Seriously, I don't understand this at all. To some extent don't understand regular people who blur the lines because come on, you remember how YOu were at 5 vs 15, but clothing designers makes no sense to me. Unless they just started paying attention to clothes last year...

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 1

Korina echoed my thoughts on kids: "I can't even tell the ages apart." It all blends together for me when people are really young (or really old). I was totally with her this episode and liked what she made but wholeheartedly agreed Kini deserved the win. 

I love how Kini lets his talents/garments speak for themselves. I could totally have pictured an Amanda or Korina or definitely Sandyha asserting themselves on the runway to correct being discredited for his work but he just let it go, assured he'd get his recognition in time. And sure enough, he won the next two! I love his quiet confidence and I really hope he continues to thrive right till the end.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

Mom and I both hated Kinis, apparently were alone in this. It didn't look fun or childlike to me. It looked like a 12 year old trying to grow up too fast. Did not care for it at all.

If one goes back into the history books, children are often dressed as a minature adults. This isn't new to our century. 

• Love 5

A lot of the AG girl/doll dresses are party wear and are very fussy and detailed, and are something that gets purchased to wear for photos and maybe a party, but the kid is going to take it off and change to do actual playing. Kini's very fussy dress in the same fabric is that sort of thing-the doll outfit would cost $50, the girl dress would be $150, the jacket another $50 or so.

Char actually did what the stupid BeForever line is supposed to do and what the outfits the girls were wearing when they first met the designers did-a more modern version for a little girl for everyday wear of the outfit the doll is wearing in the "Meet" book.

And yes, the dolls have pretty elaborate attire, accessories, etc that aren't at all realistic for anything but the girls who are from wealthy backgrounds. For Addie, a former slave, and Kit, living in the great depression with an unemployed father, it gets down right ludicrous.  It's definitely a glowing view of history.  And honestly, that was the case even for the original, Pleasant Company dolls and books.

• Love 4

Loved Kini's look! I had the Samantha doll and I can absolutely see her in that. 

Emily's look... yikes. The skirt belonged in Hot Topic. The sweater might have worked if the fit was better. It seemed too bulky. 

Like everyone else, I am so glad Sandyha is gone. I wonder if she's watching these episodes and if they've given her some perspective on her behavior and personality. She's too sensitive for reality TV, despite her assertions that she has a thick skin. I also hope that eventually realizes the difference between being mean and being nice. Right now, she has those backwards.

Like everyone else, I am so glad Sandyha is gone. 

I'm not glad she's gone.  She screwed up royally this week and deserved to be auffed.  That said, she's produced interesting and wild things that made you look at them.  I can't recall if it was on this board or another one, but someone said most of the other designers this year should be on a show called Project Gap.   Nice enough, but not what should be in a design competition.    I'll miss Sandhya and will applaud when the highly limited designers, such as Korina, Amanda, Alexander, Emily, and Char all go home.  

• Love 14

My 9 yr old said "Kini's is nice, but I wouldn't want to wear it. It looks scratchy." Char's  is "Something I would wear", Korina's is "Cute, lots of girls would like it", Emily's sweater "Might be Ok with some pink Jeans or something", the others were "someone might wear that" and Sandhya's  was "Would get you teased from now until next year". She hopes the model didn't have too much fall-out at school today, although "Being on Project Runway is pretty cool, even with bad clothes".

• Love 7

I think the way she spoke to the judges kind of sealed her fate. They don't seem to like when av designer defends his or her design.

She didn't "defend her design", she completely dismissed their comments with her usual insufferably smug, sefl-righteous, obnoxious attitude. Even when she was saying she was listening and taking in their words, it was obvious she wasn't, and her condescending lying was just more attitude. 

In any case, finally, Heidi and common sense prevailed.  A four-year-old would have been embarrassed to wear that thing. 

• Love 8

In any case, finally, Heidi and common sense prevailed.  

I've seen both Zac and Nina defend opinions they actually held. It looked very little like the way they tried to suggest that Sandhya wasn't on the bottom. Or, for that matter, the way they said she was on the top.

Edited by Julia

i'm not surprised that sandhya finally went home, i'm just surprised they actually did send her home (if that makes sense..)! i'll admit, when amanda and alexander were asked to leave the runway and i looked at the remaining designers, i totally expected sandhya to be in the top 3, not because i agreed with it or thought her outfit was one of the 3 best, but because i'd been wrong 3/4/5 times now with thinking she'd be in the bottom and she was actually on the top that i didn't expect any different this time. and then when it was revealed she was going home, i actually let out a surprise noise that concerned my fiance for a second lol. i totally thought it was going to be emily because of how much she was featured in this episode and because of her constant mention that she had a childrens line out and made clothes for her daughter (foreshadow of doom on this show!)

i`ll admit i never played with an american girl doll, actually never heard of it until about 8 or 9 years ago, and even if i'd heard of them as a child, i probably wouldn't have played with them. those dolls were creepy lol. i'll admit to a slight fear of realistic looking dolls, like porcelain dolls, and dolls like these american girl dolls, while not as realistic looking imo as porcelain dolls, are still eerie to me lol. the way they stare and the gaps in their teeth that made them look like they had fangs... it would've freaked me out too much having them in the work room with me if i was a designer on this season, and no way would i have let it sit there and watch me work, like sean said lol.

as for the designs itself, i like kini's and korina's the most. i didn't get how char's was in the top, i didn't like it, but good for her for finally having something in the top. didn't mind amanda's, kinda meh, and alexander's i liked for the mix of prints, but the top looked... odd. i liked emily's sweater for her outfit, but thought the skirt part looked unfinished and the way it was short in the back, long in the front, with so much tule sticking out that it made the skirt on top rise up... it skewered the proportions, i think.

Edited by kaydub123

My kids are long-past the age of the models in this episode, but when I saw the pink jumpsuit, all I could think of was all of the kids in restrooms at the mall.  First, they wait until they have to pee to say anything to Mom.  In today's culture, Moms don't often send kids alone to the public restroom.  So the order of action is this:

• Kid recognizes need to pee.
  • Kid ignores need until it can't be ignored any longer.
  • Kid tells Mom.
  • Mom is shopping and not paying attention.
  • Kid tells Mom again.
  • Mom finally hears child's whining, "I gotta pee!"
  • Mom goes in search of salesgirl to ring up purchases.
  • Mom figures out where restroom is.
  • Mom and daughter go into restroom.
  • Daughter has to get Mom to unzip her onesie.
  • Zipper gets stuck.
  •  . . . Fill in with your imagination.
  • Daughter stays locked in restroom stall while Mom goes shopping for new outfit for daughter to wear home.
  • Love 11

As for the other designers, it was a rare episode where I agreed with the judges!

Kini and Korinna's looks were both gorgeous,and if Korinna had been able to get closer to finishing hers, it could well have won. 

Emily's was awful but Sean's mutant peace sign vest and jump suit were worse.  It really did look like the product of a not-very-skilled home seamstress. 

I liked Char's, it looked like a lot of fun for the girl wearing it.  And weren't all the kids great?  Though I do wonder how late it was by the time they got to critiquing Emily's, her poor model looked like she was way past her bedtime!

• Love 2

Sandhya's elimination is not good for me at all.

She was one of the more creative designers.  She may even be my favourite one.

Further than that, the judges constantly praised her and liked her designs.

Of course, she would have gotten used to ignoring Tim's critique.

I can't blame her for being super confident when she was constantly praised and rarely critiqued by the judges.

Then they just suddenly get rid of her for a rare design that they don't like.

I prefer judging the entire history, but that's just me.  Emily should have gone.

It's always PR irony that the person whose "specialty" it is gets eliminated or at least put on the bottom.

Amanda's design was one of my tops this week.

Honestly, Tim aggravates me.  When they do their "up close and personal" critique with Tim towards the end, when they look at the designs up closely, he should admit that he advised Char against the fringe.  He loves to tattle on the designers he doesn't like, and he loves to defend his favourites.  But he won't admit his mistakes.

Also, Korina is a stone cold bitch.  When the person you hate gets eliminated, you could show a little class.   Sandhya's done nothing to deserve that wrath.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

She didn't "defend her design", she completely dismissed their comments with her usual insufferably smug, sefl-righteous, obnoxious attitude. Even when she was saying she was listening and taking in their words, it was obvious she wasn't, and her condescending lying was just more attitude.

I still see that as defending herself, her ego, in a defensive way.

My point is that you have Tim telling them to make their designs "work" and to be willing to own them, regardless of what the judges say.

Obviously Sandhya doesn't listen to any constructive criticism, but in her mind, she thinks her body of work is perfection.

Sean was the same way toward Zac in one episode and he, too, got a little cocky after winning a couple of challenges. The difference is that he's willing to listen to critique and improve his designs. Except for not using the fringe last night. ;)

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3