Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: American Girl Doll

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

My kids are long-past the age of the models in this episode, but when I saw the pink jumpsuit, all I could think of was all of the kids in restrooms at the mall. First, they wait until they have to pee to say anything to Mom. In today's culture, Moms don't often send kids alone to the public restroom. So the order of action is this:

• Kid recognizes need to pee.
  • Kid ignores need until it can't be ignored any longer.
  • Kid tells Mom.
  • Mom is shopping and not paying attention.
  • Kid tells Mom again.
  • Mom finally hears child's whining, "I gotta pee!"
  • Mom goes in search of salesgirl to ring up purchases.
  • Mom figures out where restroom is.
  • Mom and daughter go into restroom.
  • Daughter has to get Mom to unzip her onesie.
  • Zipper gets stuck.
  • . . . Fill in with your imagination.
  • Daughter stays locked in restroom stall while Mom goes shopping for new outfit for daughter to wear home.
Bingo. For that alone, I thought she deserved the auf. Can you imagine the trauma in school? But the design beyond that fit nothing related to the challenge.

These people and their "jumpsuits."

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2

Then they just suddenly get rid of her for a rare design that they don't like.

I prefer judging the entire history, but that's just me.  Emily should have gone.

But that is the whole point of the "one week you're in and one week you're out" tagline of the show.... and the reason they make this big deal about the fake "blind judging" of not knowing whose looks belong to who, even though they totally do.

I do find it frustrating for someone good to get sent home for a bad week, but that's how the game works... and I would be fine if the Tim Gunn save didn't exist. While the judges may have praised a lot of Sandhya's work.. it wasn't always unilateral, there always seemed to be at least one judge who disliked her look, even the weeks she won. And I don't think everything she did was terrible, her dress from the first week was interesting even if it's not to my taste... but some of the things she earned praise for where hideous and a fail on the judges part.

This week she made an outfit that didn't fit the challenge, like Fade didn't make an Avante Garde look last week... that means it's time to be out.

• Love 6

These people and their "jumpsuits."

I don't remember my mom ever putting me in a jumpsuit. Aside from using one as part of a Halloween costume, I don't understand their appeal. The designers this season seem to love them.

Am I just behind on what's cool in fashion?

I'm not sure if this counts as "spoiler", but I'll tag it anyway: 

With Sandhya gone, it's now up in the air, IMO, as to who wins. Check out the final collections if you don't believe me.

Emily's was ugly, but I can understand why they booted Sandhya over her. I also think the judges panel should have laid down the law and forbidden jumpsuits from this challenge on. I AM SICK OF SEEING THEM. They aren't creative. They aren't original. They are tiresome and tedious to the viewer. If I wanted to see nothing but jumpsuits I'd spend the day at the Walmart Tire & Lube and get my fill there. I don't care if this means we get subjected to nothing but washer bikinis, hideous fringe, and mullet dresses-- anything is better than a jumpsuit. 

Can I also say that I feel absolutely cheated that they didn't have to make mini dresses for the dolls? They had to do that for the Barbie challenge back in season 2 and it added an interesting dynamic to the challenge to see who was capable of downsizing their look without losing the vision of the main dress. Also, why wasn't it a prize to have your look manufactured for the dolls like the Barbie challenge? With as marked up as those dolls are (I had one, loved it, and would totally get one for a mini Spinkle in the future) they could have made a tidy profit off of the design, not to mention they make custom dolls for girls with custom clothes all the time IIRC. I guess they really didn't have faith anyone would make anything nice enough to be featured. 

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 5

I don't remember my mom ever putting me in a jumpsuit. Aside from using one as part of a Halloween costume, I don't understand their appeal. The designers this season seem to love them.

Am I just behind on what's cool in fashion?

]

I wore jumpsuits :).   I turned 12 in 1970 so I spent my teen years in the 70's.  I have been trying to remember what I wore other than jeans.  And one particular year jumpsuits were in.  The thing though, the jumpsuits had zippers in the front.

I have to say I enjoyed Korina's outfit.  Up close though, with the unfinished blocks not completely sewn on, the threads all over the place wasn't a good look.

I liked Kini's a lot.  Yes, it perhaps look a little to old for a 11/12 year old.  But, fitting the story it worked.  She was raised by her very rich grandmother.  I can't remember what year the doll was in; but I imagine it was an era where clothes distinguish the class; so if you had the money you dressed her like a proper young lady.

and Sandhya; wow what can I say.  I really didn't like much of any of her outfits.  I truly can't remember any - oh wait, yes, the yellow wedding dress!!.  I did like part of the vest on her AG outfit (the front) but that was it.  But her attitude - WOW, last week it really hit home when Tim came in for a look and was talking to her; she just looked at him with this smile (I guess I could call it a smirk) that said to me "yeah, say whatever you want to, it doesn't matter, I'm good and don't need to listen."  But it was topped off last night at Mood when she jumped in front of Korina like that.

When I saw the sweater Emily was making I thought she might have been going for the win; I kinda liked it.  But the skirt and tulle (or crinoline) - was wayyyy out there.  And the netting over the face!!

Someone mentioned how the young girls looked comfortable and like they had experience on the runway.  When I saw Alexander's model I could have sworn she was on an earlier season of PR?  I'm thinking the one where they had to make a mother/daughter outfit?

Edited by tobysmom
  • Love 3

I can't confirm it, but I think several of the girl models have done print work for American Girl catalogs. If I could find my 7 yr old's latest copy of it I'd look, but I don't want to a) admit I have that kind of free time or b) find out that I'm right, thus proving I do in fact have too much free time.

Sandhya should have been sent home this week.  I haven't been a fan of her designs, but I do kinda see the appeal of such newness and quirkiness for the judges.  But that baby romper was beyond age inappropriate.  I showed my daughter a screen shot of all the outfits and she picked Sandhya's as the worst.  She voted Char's #1, then Kini's 2nd. She liked Emily's 3rd.  She called out Sean's broken peace sign immediately!

Sean's might have worked better if he made bell bottoms or wider legs on the jumpsuit and used the chambray as deep cuffs/border.  It just needed more detail.  Oh yeah, and he should've stuck with the fringe!  Maybe a short row across the upper back, shoulder blade level? TIm may not like fringe but the judges are going cuckoo for cocoa puffs over it this year.

Also, Korina is a stone cold bitch.  When the person you hate gets eliminated, you could show a little class.   Sandhya's done nothing to deserve that wrath.

Wait - what did I miss? Did Korina do something after elimination?

• Zipper gets stuck.I

Which reminds me, Sandhya's romper didn't even have a zipper, it had snaps.  Snaps!  Snaps from butt to neck on the back of an outfit she thought would be good for a nine year old to play and have a lot of fun in. 

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 2

I can't remember if I saw the commercial for Annabelle, the new movie about a scary doll coming to life, during this episode but if I did it would have been funny.

I was shocked Emily didn't go. It's usually foreshadowed at the beginning of the episode.

Also why the hell does Alexander win fan favorite every week?

It has to be said, so I'll say it:  the pink jumpsuit gave that poor little girl a wicked case of camel toe.

I continue to be baffled by references to the "blind" runway.  The designer whose model is walking smiles and smiles, makes a whoosh of relief that none of the garments fell off, and all the other designers turn to that person and compliment the outfit. There's at least one camera on the designers and it couldn't be clearer who owns what based on their responses and interactions.  I can see the dynamic clearly and I'm on a couch in Chicago.  So the judges sitting right there don't see that?  Cause it looks to me like they do.

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 2

Colour me mystified, just like everyone else, that Alexander wins fan fave week after week. Someone previously posted, very wisely, but I can't remember who, that it could be he's promised to give the winnings to charity if he wins, just like Elena did in her season.

If that's not it, though, I have no idea who's voting for him. Maybe it's only 30 or so people? I know I don't vote for fan fave. There's no one on the show I would consider my favourite.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I DVR this show so that I can FF through all the stupid crap that I don't want to watch, so this morning I was drinking my coffee and watching the end- I said out loud bye bye Emily it was nice almost knowing you- when low and behold SHOCK!  I yelled "WHAT! NO WAY! YAHOO!"  My hubby was in the bathroom getting ready for work and he came out all What? What's going on?  I said they finally sent that ding bat home!  Needless to say he game me a WTF look and went back to getting dressed.  I recognize that kind of passive aggressive craptastic attitude from a mile away. Didn't like her or her "designs" so had a marvelous start to my Friday. 

• Love 4

Glad to see Sandhya go. That outfit looked like a baby sleeper without the feet. And even baby sleepers ZIP UP THE FRONT!!! Anyone would have difficulty getting out of that to use the bathroom. It looked very home sewn, as did Sean's. The only reason I can think of for Alexander to win fan favorite each week is if there's some web site we're not aware of where they're encouraging folks to vote for him as a joke, the way they used to do (maybe still do) with American Idol. He hasn't produced anything that remarkable as a designer and there's nothing that interesting about him as a person. On the other hand, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite based on what they show us on camera. No one seems very nice or all that creative.

• Love 1

I only watched for the runway to the end last night and didn't see Sandyha in action at Mood until today.  She acted totally self-serving and self-centere.  It says a lot  for Korina that she didn't get into it with Sandyha about the rudeness. 

I don't think it's thick skin she was referring to, that's probably just the walls of her anus where her head seems to be firmly implanted.

What was all that about showing women they can do anything...she does realize that she's designing clothes, right? 

• Love 6

What was all that about showing women they can do anything...she does realize that she's designing clothes, right?

Ha -- all the designers who appear on this show talk like their next draped top will cure cancer or bring world peace, so that's nothing new.

• Love 4
I wonder if they should swap out Tim for someone else.  I like him just fine, but in his conversation with Sandhya it seems like he was admitting he's out of sync with the judges.  If he can't coach people to success...maybe he should take on a different role.

Tim has been astonishingly wrong quite a number of times the past few seasons; it could be that he's still under the mistaken impression that things like logic, taste, and knowledge of design have anything to do with the judging anymore.  Still, as much as I thought her outfit was idiotic, I can totally understand why Sandhya kept tuning him out, since if she'd followed Tim's advice on a lot of these challenges she wouldn't have done as well as she did, until finally Tim was in sync with the producers--uh, I mean, the judges.  This episode was like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" in reverse or something.

• Love 7

-Still, as much as I thought her outfit was idiotic, I can totally understand why Sandhya kept tuning him out, since if she'd followed Tim's advice on a lot of these challenges she wouldn't have done as well as she did, until finally Tim was in sync with the producers--uh, I mean, the judges.  

I'm not sure that's fair. Nina and Zac both made comments last week about Sandhya having serious construction and taste issues. I don't think that if she'd put the plastic tarp and debris over a clown suit the color of blue skies instead of a primary-colored rainbow they would have failed to be charmed by it.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I really thought that Emily was a goner with that outfit--it looked so poorly put together with the skirt and tulle underskirt looking sloppy and the weird veil on her model's face. Then when she kept saying that she really felt comfortable about making kids' clothes, that just seemed to be the producer cue that we'd be saying goodbye to her. I mean Sandhya's outfit was really hideous as well (and I didn't mind her leaving), but usually when an ugly outfit comes from someone saying that "I do this all the time", that's the person they kick off.

Personally, I loved the fact that Zac Posen knew all about the dolls and was so upset that Rebecca ("with her victrola and her pickle"!!!!) wasn't represented well by Emily's outfit.  Who knew that Zac was such an American Girl fanboy?

Edited by Mybrainhurts
  • Love 6

I wore jumpsuits :). I turned 12 in 1970 so I spent my teen years in the 70's. I have been trying to remember what I wore other than jeans. And one particular year jumpsuits were in. The thing though, the jumpsuits had zippers in the front.

Ha! Awesome. Edited by Surrealist

Sean's wins got to his head. That 70's boho outfit was boring and ugly. OTOH Kini's dress/jacket and Korina's skirt were awesome.

Sandhya definitely made a circus onesie for an 8 to 12 yo. Tim finally says what everyone was thinking during his critique - Sandhya's work is shit-tastic but for some fucked up reason the judges kept loving it. And while he was talking she had a stupid smug grin on her face the entire time. I can't believe there's another designer who annoys me more than Helen. I think my neighbors down the street heard my scream of joy when she was auf'ed.

Edited by Tony
  • Love 4

Sandhya's clothing kind of reminded me of how a 9 year old in the 60s would think she could dress in The Future, so it makes sense that she would think a 9 year old today would dress like a toddler from the 50s. She seems very narcissistic, which can be brilliant for a creative type. But it also means poor Emily has to say pleasant things to Sandhya and Sandhya will congratulate herself for feeling better. Does she care whether Emily's day is nice? Is she thankful that someone takes the time out of the pressure cooker to help her out emotionally? Of course Emily is there to be the supporting friend.

• Love 2

My almost 9 year old daughter's reviews:

Alexander: "Meh, it's ok"

Amanda: "That's ok too"

Char: "Meh, ok"

Emily: "Ahhh! That is all kinds of wrong!"

Kini: "Ummm, I don't want to be mean, but she looks like the worlds smallest pregnant woman"

Korina: "I like that, it is definitely on the maybe list"

Sandhya: "Ooooh!  That is more like it.  That is my favorite so far"

Sean:  "I like it and would wear it if I didn't have anything else"

By far her favorite was Sandhya, lol.  I made her look at all 3 views, hoping she would see the hideousness of it, but nope.  So she liked Sandhya, then Korina then Sean.  I take no credit for her taste in clothing. 

I also loved how Zach was totally into the dolls and knew all about them.

• Love 4

She said she had a clothing line for kids, selling on Esty is not the same as having a clothing line. Esty is where people who make things & don't want to sell on eBay go, Emily made it sound like she was selling her clothing in stores, you know, the way designers do.

Until very recently, Michelle's major sales outlet was an Etsy store. I'll admit it's pretty far to fall from a shot at a Lord & Taylor collection, but apparently it's what a win and $250 k will do for you.

• Love 1

Yes children once dressed like miniature adults. So what? They haven't since 1880 and that's way long enough. And the designers were not to asked to create historical representations but things kids would wear now.

Kids want to look cool and grown up but still like kids. It's a subtle distinction but important.

I was "American Girl age" in the 70s. Sean's print -- that Little House on the Prairie look -- was actually quite popular. It brought me back. When they were talking about bright colors, outrageous patterns -- that is the romanticized version of the 70s. A lot of clothing was butt ugly. That cute fabric that the Julie doll had on her clothes was nothing you would have ever found. Lots of rainbow prints. Polyester. It was a scary, scary time. 

I don't remember prints like that, but I spent most of my time in shorts or jeans and T-shirts. In fourth grade, I did have a pair of khaki colored gauchos with a matching vest, though. The pockets were trimmed with green and yellow grosgrain ribbon. At least here, gauchos were very big (ugly, too, but I was in fourth grade, so what did I know?). I thought they would certainly have been better than that jumpsuit. (I also had a pair of hot pink double-knit polyester bell bottoms that I loved. I would not recommend he replicate that look.)

I wore jumpsuits :).   I turned 12 in 1970 so I spent my teen years in the 70's.  I have been trying to remember what I wore other than jeans.  And one particular year jumpsuits were in.  The thing though, the jumpsuits had zippers in the front.

I'm almost exactly 10 years behind you. I don't remember jumpsuits in the 70s, but I remember girls wearing them in the mid-80s when I was in high school. Even then, I wasn't sure how they went to the bathroom. (Of course, since I would not use public bathrooms during those years, it probably wouldn't have been a problem for me.)

I loved Kini's coat. The dress was cute for the girl, but I would love to see that coat made in adult sizes.

I thought Emily's dress made the little girl look pregnant. The shape of it also reminded me of the description of the youngest daughters' dresses in "All of a Kind Family." Their mother put so many petticoats under their dresses and starched white aprons that the dresses stood out on their own.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 2

She said she had a clothing line for kids, selling on Esty is not the same as having a clothing line. Esty is where people who make things & don't want to sell on eBay go, Emily made it sound like she was selling her clothing in stores, you know, the way designers do.

True. Hell, I sell bags on etsy that I make but would never consider myself having a "successful custom bag line." Just something I love to do and thought I'd try to make a little money doing it! Emily can take it down a notch with that claim. But her stuff is cute, I think.

• Love 1

One quibble, though... From what I could tell, the American dolls all have different stories.  Some are rich, some are poor.  And they come from different eras.  Yet it seemed like the top designs were all like something a well-off girl would wear.  For example, Kini's design was definitely for a rich girl, so how would a girl from the Depression-era have a winning design?

I had the same quibble! Then I remembered Zac saying Kini's look was aspirational. So, that made me realize the assignment was not what I thought it was. It was not design an outfit that links creatively to an AG doll. It was make an outfit that can be sold to young girls. So richie rich dolls had a leg up (ironically, Sandaya had one). What girl wants to look like they are from a Russian shetl?

• Love 3
What exactly is a circus flamingo? I've never associated flamingos with the circus. My grandfather used to take us to the circus every year, and I don't remember seeing flamingos there.

I thought the point was that it looked both like something circus-ey and like a flamingo, not that there are ever flamingos in a circus.

Here's my problem with both Char and Sean and the fringe issue: in both designs I think it would've been tremendously cliche. Sean keeping his fringe would not have saved him because it still would've been entirely boring and obvious, and yeah sure it was 70s-ey but it was also like the kind of pajamas little kids have to wear in the hospital with that print.

I didn't mind Char in the top because I thought the underneath outfit was cute enough (and everything else not already in the top I thought was worse), but I thought her whole beige-suede-fringe thing was the most super cliche thing anyone could possibly do when given a Native American character. It was made a bit more acceptable since the doll was basically wearing exactly that same piece. So you can't fault on the "inspiration" because it's literally on the doll, but personally I thought it was a major cop out. Like same level cop out as 70s=peace sign. 

Edited by theatremouse

ETA: no sympathy for designers who say they don't understand kids. Most of them are young. Think! You used to be one! If *i* can remember favorite outfits from third! sixth! eighth, grade and I'm not a designer, surely you can. Seriously, I don't understand this at all. To some extent don't understand regular people who blur the lines because come on, you remember how YOu were at 5 vs 15, but clothing designers makes no sense to me. Unless they just started paying attention to clothes last year...

Or unless they started paying attention to clothes long before now. I knew I wanted to work in fashion somehow when I was 7, and hated most children's clothes. Even before that you can tell from photos exactly when I was old enough to start voicing an opinion on how I was dressed. Age 0-4: lots of t-shirts and overalls. After that: dresses, blouses and skirts, leggings (or stirrup pants -- oh, the horrors of the late 80s) or slacks (not jeans) as far as the eye can see. I was a 9 year old with brooches and scarves, and a 10 year old who wore blazers to school. There was the full length skirts phase (too many Little House books), the New Look phase (too many classic Barbies), and a pop art phase (heard about Mary Quant, loved a fabulous Peter Max scarf of my mother's that was and remains off-limits for borrowing).  All before high school.*

I vaguely remember what my classmates wore, but even then I found it inexplicable and/or dull -- I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some of the designers weren't really in step with what other kids wore when they were that age.

Talking to my mother afterwards we both immediately mentioned that by 3rd grade I would have killed for Kini's outfit -- and I'm talking about tiny, incompetent homicide.Would have loved the idea behind Emily's skirt but not the ugly shape at the waist. I think I actually had a dress shaped like Amanda's, but with elbow length sleeves and in less eye-searing fabric.

* That sounds somewhat extreme after writing it out, but really there were a lot of basics in neutrals/dark jewel tones with changed accessories, and recycling things that I hadn't outgrown; all those long skirts and dresses got cut down to knee length, older shirts were relegated to layering pieces, etc.

Edited by MaggieCat

But you just made my point. You vividly remember yourself at different ages. That's all I meant. Who cares what other people wore? You know what pleased you at 8, 10, etc and how you were a different person.

I serious do not understand how someone who is only 28 does not know the difference between 12 and 5. THINK. It's not about second guessing other people, just remembering what you liked.

• Love 2

Yes, I remember it vividly. I also remember my classmates thinking I was the school freak, and even my friends thinking I was strange. It would never occur to me to design something for a children's wear challenge that was remotely like what *I* would have worn at that age, especially once a retailer came into the mix rather than designing something their specific model would want.

Edited by MaggieCat

I felt like this week there was a lot of great (judging on the Season 13 Curve, of course) and a lot of fucking terrible.  Fucking terrible includes Sean, Sandhya, and Alexander.  Sean's, yes, McCall's patterns is exactly it.  Insultingly terrible in the laziest way.  It makes me angry to look at it.  Sandhya's, honestly, as her model said, take away the peplum (and the snap tape) and it's not all that bad, but then if you took that away then what design is left?  Just a baby onesie.  And Alexander!  C'mon, dude, Kit is clearly the best American Girl, with an easy and easily-adapted time period, and you blew it.  Her annoying grandmother made her a dress out of a sack for chicken feed--a lot better than what you made.  Give the girl a bias day dress and a cloche hat, man.  And the exposed zipper ass GOD I HATE YOU

On the other hand, I agreed with the top 3.  Finally, I am on the same page with people and the Kini love.  Maybe it's not the most innovative thing in the world, but it's so Samantha.  I guess I see the critique that the horsehair under the coat (why did everybody say 'jacket'?) gives the illusion of a tummy, but who cares, I think it looks great.  Char used the colors really well--to me this is by far the best thing she's ever done on the show.  And Korina did a great job and I thought working in the yellow thing was a clever nod to Josefina.  To me, I still have never seen to my satisfaction any actual example of Korina being a jerk, just a lot of interpolated 'reaction shots' and average-snotty talking heads.  Passive-aggressive a bit at Mood?  Perhaps, but not half as bad as Sandhya's aggressive-passivity, shoving fabric in the Mood employee's face while they're in the middle of cutting stuff for Korina.

To me Emily should never have been on the bottom--she and Amanda belonged in the middle, with a little bit of good, a little bit of bad.  I would actually have sent Sean home, were I the judge.

She said it was an Etsy, in a somewhat cringeworthy (hate that word) moment on the runway--"some people call it an Etsy cult favorite!" or whatever it was.  No need to sell your line at that moment, Emily.  Focus on the now.

Colour me mystified, just like everyone else, that Alexander wins fan fave week after week. Someone previously posted, very wisely, but I can't remember who, that it could be he's promised to give the winnings to charity if he wins, just like Elena did in her season.

I am 90% sure that Elena won not because of the charity thing but because at that time people were supposed to vote by tweeting #TeamElena and so thousands of Vampire Diaries fans were unknowingly voting for her every week.  I love Elena more than anything, but it's like when Pat Buchanan got all those votes in Florida in 2000.  Those were not her votes.

• Love 5

Until very recently, Michelle's major sales outlet was an Etsy store. I'll admit it's pretty far to fall from a shot at a Lord & Taylor collection, but apparently it's what a win and $250 k will do for you.

.....you forget the magic ingredient of Michelle's personality, I feel as though that went a long way in a shot at Lord&Taylor to Etsy store.  I was watching a clip of the reunion, and Michelle seriously has to be one of the most insufferable people.  There she was, congratulating herself for "always being real, and never being fake"  which of course she used to explain her shitty behavior.  She was just keeping it real, which of course, to her is of paramount importance, even if it means being hurtful to anyone around you.  Because Michelle is a self centered bitch, her being real is far more important than anything else, or anyone else and when you're trying to build or maintain a business, almost no one is going to want to work with someone who is going to keep it real 100% of the time.  Its probably why people with less talent have had far more successful careers than hers and why she will continue to lack the success she feels she deserves.  Of course, if anyone else had something bad to say about Michelle, it was almost inexcusable, even though they may have just been keeping it real.  

I almost always roll my eyes at people who want to give themselves credit for "always being real" and "not ever being fake" because I find that sort of attitude to be so self centered and selfish.  yes, its great to be yourself and to be real, but always?  no, I can't get down with that.

I can decide if I want her or Helen to be booted first.  Just my luck it will be someone I really like like Dimitry, or Chris March

Yes children once dressed like miniature adults. So what? They haven't since 1880 and that's way long enough. And the designers were not to asked to create historical representations but things kids would wear now.

Kids want to look cool and grown up but still like kids. It's a subtle distinction but important.

I think kids today almost never want to look like kids.  Or maybe its in how I interpret what a kid looks like.  A lot of the things I see kids in today seems like a miniature version of adult clothing.  I think I would have wanted Kini's dress when I was 12, I would have wanted Kini's dress at 25, and I want Kini's dress right now, and I also want the coat.

I had the same quibble! Then I remembered Zac saying Kini's look was aspirational. So, that made me realize the assignment was not what I thought it was. It was not design an outfit that links creatively to an AG doll. It was make an outfit that can be sold to young girls. So richie rich dolls had a leg up (ironically, Sandaya had one). What girl wants to look like they are from a Russian shetl?

I remember watching a documentary either about the great depression, or the dust bowl.  Either way, the people featured were very poor.  One of the women talked about how her mother made dresses from the sacks the rice/flour/feed came in.  The people who manufactured/sold the goods realized that people were making clothes out of their sacks, and so they started to put little designs on them, like little flowers, so that when the mother used them to make the dresses would be prettier.  I think if someone had a depression era doll it would have been neat to make a fantastic little dress in something that paid homage to that idea....maybe a rougher looking fabric with a flower pattern on it.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 3

I think I was actually an adult before American Girl came into being, so I am only vaguely aware that they exist. I DO have to defend Corina, though, in that my view of kids is pretty much the same. Everything from toddler till college is a jumble. I usually require a relative to suss out the ages of my nieces and nephews at the yearly gatherings. And, thanks to plenty of partying, I rarely am able to pinpoint my own age at various stages that I recall. That said, I do think that Sean's print looked familiar to me, and might have looked better on a long dress, especially with a fringe vest, and no peace sign. Emily's looked like Wednesday Addam's party dress. I was surprised that Sandiya's (sp?) was not only not age appropriate, but lacked any whimsy! This is the woman who had pinwheels on her avant garde design! Glad she went, though the edit confused me this week, and I was certain that Emily would be joining her.

The winners seemed about right to me. I thought Corina's was best overall, and was aided quite a bit by the model, who clearly enjoyed wearing it. Kini's was nice, though, and probably better constructed. Char's was a LOT of fringe, but that seemed important to the doll's story, and she executed it well. I guess fringe is back? I don't think Tim was wrong, though. He's used to adult fashion, and fringe in that case is far riskier. Kids get a kick out of it, and it comes across differently. Both Char and Sean should have gone with it. Tim DID, however, give Sandiya necessary feedback, which she ignored, to her detriment. Did they edit out a gloat? Probably.

Edited by NorthstarATL

Actually, the seventies pattern was completely era-appropriate, just not for that style. There were a few years in the mid-seventies when absolutely everyone was wearing Gunne Sax and Jessica McLintock peasant dresses to proms and weddings in patterns just like that. I'm very certain she's destroyed the pictures, but I'm equally certain twelve-year-old Nina Garcia owned one, and probably so did Zac's mom.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Glad to see the last of Sandhaya.  I didn't like her clothes or her attitude.  

Honestly, Tim aggravates me.  When they do their "up close and personal" critique with Tim towards the end, when they look at the designs up closely, he should admit that he advised Char against the fringe.

He may have, editing cannot catch everything.  He often says that he cannot predict what the judges will say before he offers suggestions.  He is clear that he is giving his opinion and tells them it is their choice.  

I like that they judge on the garment in front of them and do not bring in past stuff, officially.  They remember though.  If 2 are in the bottom, the one who has had more fails usually goes.  

Which reminds me, Sandhya's romper didn't even have a zipper, it had snaps.  Snaps!  Snaps from butt to neck on the back of an outfit she thought would be good for a nine year old to play and have a lot of fun in.

She would need a hand maiden to escort her around so she could pee.  Terrible, just terrible.  This was not something that should have been defended.  I have seen designers admit their mistakes and the judges respond favorably,  If there is a question of who should go they would favor the designer who understands their mistake before someone who digs in and refuses to take an honest critique. They want to know that the person they put through will listen and improve. 

• Love 2

I remember watching a documentary either about the great depression, or the dust bowl.  Either way, the people featured were very poor.  One of the women talked about how her mother made dresses from the sacks the rice/flour/feed came in.  The people who manufactured/sold the goods realized that people were making clothes out of their sacks, and so they started to put little designs on them, like little flowers, so that when the mother used them to make the dresses would be prettier.  I think if someone had a depression era doll it would have been neat to make a fantastic little dress in something that paid homage to that idea....maybe a rougher looking fabric with a flower pattern on it.

My mother and aunt used to go to the store with my grandfather so they could pick out the sacks they wanted their dresses made out of.

• Love 7

Having just seen a whole bunch of kids, , no way. They want to look cool and they want to look un babyish but they do NOT want to look like their mothers or other grown ups, nor do they want to be grown ups, particularly... Tons of books and plays and other popular things that are all about being a Kid. Including very popular review "how to eat like a child," with subtitle about not being a grown up.

So again: that historically children dressed in same colors patterns as adults- meaningless. Which the American girl line knows very well, or they wouldn't bother with their new line.

Yes, of course there's some relation between kids and grown up clothes, but that doesn't make them the same.

That's why when we see certain designers with that aesthetic we often say it's for child like adults, as is much of Betsy Johnson, for example.

Kids clothes tend to be, just like their toys, more graphic and brighter. To say they are just the same, in my view, just disregards soooooo much information, child education systems, etc. It's like saying kids want the same interior design in their rooms as adults when this is empirically untrue,

Yes there are many clothes very very similar for all ages.. A quick visit to a kids department shows this, little girls from 9-12 all wear jeans, t shirts, etc. But then there are subtle differences too. And it's the designers job to understand those and nail it. Things appropriate for a 5 year old, like an adorable poufy faux fur skirt with little top I saw yesterday at Saks, look ridiculous in larger sizes.

I also was irritated beyond belief by kini using the word flirty to describe a dress for a 10 year old. Ugh.

Still think Corina should have won but agreed it wasn't really finished, in whch case I'd have given the win to char. Both of he hose things were cool enough. To make me want to wear something like hem, but in more adult tones or styles. Kinis with tis cut out and checkerboard coat just did not appeal to me at all.

The challenge was for girls 9-12 so if it only works for the upper age range, it does not work. I agree with those who also just didn't like the dress or thought it made the child look pregnant.

Random thoughts and musings:

- I'm convinced that Zac Posen is the Waylon Smithers of the Project Runway universe, with a secret stash of American Girl dolls and accessories that takes up roughly the square footage of my entire house. He was positively gleeful, gushing over the ins and outs of the American Girl canon.

- Nina and I agreed on the Mondrian influence in Korina's outfit. This frightens me.

- I actually liked Korina's and Amanda's looks. This frightens me more.

- If Kini made that coat for a slightly older girl (OK, a petite woman), I would buy it in a hot minute. I admit that I haven't seen every season -- I came in about 2/3 of the way through season 5 -- but Kini's outfit was the second-best children's look I've seen on the show. (Seth Aaron's mother/daughter look still takes that prize for me.)

- I really liked Emily's sweater/top; the skirt, unfortunately, was a good idea that kept getting uglier as it went. Emily should be thankful that Sandhya sent that awful I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-it down the runway.

- Speaking of Sandhya, I'm almost sorry to see her go. Her portfolio from the "Road to the Runway" had such a strong yet playful point of view, and that just never carried over to the challenges. I'm waiting until the finale to look at the designers' Fashion Week collections, and I'm hoping I will see Sandhya's aesthetic more accurately reflected there.

• Love 1

And I am not about knocking kids, but these are model aspirants. Emily's little girl was a little drama queen who wanted attention. While the other girls stayed in their roles regardless of the critique, Emily's was exaggerating whatever the judges were saying. The others stayed in character, even during a negative review. It was only at the end that Sandyha's said she wasn't thrilled about the peplum.

Damn you PR for making me root for Korina to win this one. With two days I think iit could have been great. Undeniably kinks was gorgeous, but very close to the girls original dress.

• Love 5

Actually, the seventies pattern was completely era-appropriate, just not for that style. There were a few years in the mid-seventies when absolutely everyone was wearing Gunne Sax and Jessica McLintock peasant dresses to proms and weddings in patterns just like that. I'm very certain she's destroyed the pictures, but I'm equally certain twelve-year-old Nina Garcia owned one, and probably so did Zac's mom.

What '70s was Nina referencing in her comment about it being a wonderful age for fashion (or whatever)? Was she thinking about the hippie look that crossed the mid '60s to the early/mid '70s? Ugh. Sean's home-sewn-looking jumpsuit (double ugh) could certainly have been somewhere in that decade, but I'm not sure that was the 1970s Nina was thinking about. 

• Love 2