Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E04: A Deal with the Devil

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And yet - he still wants to be considered the patriarch?  I really am coming around to the fact that there's something not working in his brain, and it almost comes across as threatening and/or dangerous.

He not only wants to be considered the patriach but expects to be honored, obeyed, and respected while publicly stating his hatred of his family and way of life.

He really has crossed over to full blown psychosis.  And I see it as all genuine, he isn't that good an actor so there is no way this is all scripted.

"Maybe I should just be the devil I think I am" is an overt threat IMHO.  He can't take one of his automatic weapons and wipe out the family, that would end the TLC paycheck.  But he acts like he's thinking about it.  Creepy scary.

• Like 14
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 8

I'm fine with the second Christmas morning with (half) sibs. Otherwise everybody's sitting around looking at the outsiders open their outsider presents a day late.

I imagine the sister who accompanied Truely wanted to see Kody, but even moreso didn't want Truely to be the lone outsider. It wasn't so long ago they admitted there wasn't even a place for her to sleep, so it would also be a good way to scout out how she's treated within the dynamic, and enable her to see her dad without (as much) anxiety.

I think Meri was over all of it a couple of years ago but playing up the "I'm still here!" angle not only to collect a paycheck but to make Kody squirm and look bad. She made multiple wry statements last season that seemed very clear that she was trolling him. Now with the other women gone she can troll while being a bit more aggressive. 

I could be conflating it with Thanksgiving, but I thought Janelle said the KIDS got a house, so she wasn't paying for it. 

Sol looks so much like Logan. 

• Like 14
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Was Meri and Kody’s  child ever mentioned regarding Christmas plans?  And, was Dayton shown in the Christmas scenes?  I was multitasking….lol. 

Good question, I was wondering the same.  It's almost as if these children no longer exist. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, kassa said:

I'm fine with the second Christmas morning with (half) sibs. Otherwise everybody's sitting around looking at the outsiders open their outsider presents a day late.

Did the Browns film "Christmas" themselves or was it the film crew?  If it was the film crew, then it was all  put on just for the show anyway.  The crew gets Christmas off.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

It's hard to think of Christmas without the kids when you have 18 of them. Janelle made her plans BECAUSE of the kids, so there would be room for them all to be comfortable when they came for the holiday because she's in that small apartment. Christine made plans for HER kids to be together, and also she and Janelle worked out a way for their clans to get together and be sibs together. 

But Kody and Robyn barely mentioned the other kids. I was really surprised to see Christmas Day 2 with a few outsider kids with Robyn and Kody's herd. He was so angry at Janelle and Christine that it consumed him. That plus his anger/frustration/whatever towards the boys (ha! young men) really showed his complete disregard for the REST of the family. And there was no mention of Leon at all. How hard would it be to at least say they're not able to come this year but you'll talk later, Meri?

All that matters to Kody is loyalty and respect, which he thinks is bestowed on him automatically because he is the Curly Head of the family. The "kids" are over that and so are the OG moms. 

Not to mention that after seeing the inside of Robyn's house for once, I don't need to see it again. Way too much crap and clutter.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

And later on, when Kody talks about becoming the devil, hating everything, hating his life and wanting to walk away from it all?  What was that about?  Kody is known for his flair for the dramatic but that sounded horrible.  He is really a piece of work - he built this family and then he destroyed it and now he wants to walk away from the wreckage.  And yet - he still wants to be considered the patriarch?  I really am coming around to the fact that there's something not working in his brain, and it almost comes across as threatening and/or dangerous.

Ratings.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

I was feeling really bad for Meri, and then she makes the ridiculous comment "Robyn and I are the only ones trying", and suddenly I feel like she has brought all this upon herself. What an ass.

And what is up with Ariella's bangs? Did Robyn cut them on a slant like that on purpose, or does the kid just have really unfortunate hair?? 

For the life of me, I will never understand why Janelle handed the profit from her Las Vegas house to Kody and Robyn. I feel bad that she's broke, but she wasn't very smart about guarding her own interests.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I thought Paedon has admitted to hitting her at least once? Also, I don't think that "opposite ends of the political spectrum" quite does it justice. Gwen is married to a woman and Paedon is homophobic. I can see why she doesn't want to be around him.

Wow. Sounds like Paedon is an abusive asshole.

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

For the life of me, I will never understand why Janelle handed the profit from her Las Vegas house to Kody and Robyn. I feel bad that she's broke, but she wasn't very smart about guarding her own interests.

Janelle always did what she thought was best for the family.  Even though she was born a mainstream Mormon, she embraced polygamy, wholeheartedly.  Last season, after Kody and her boys had the blowup, she didn’t seem the least bit upset and calmly asked Kody if he still wanted to live in polygamy.  In recent interviews, she has made it perfectly clear that she only wants to live in polygamy.  The only thing I can think of is that she doesn’t want the responsibility of having a man to herself. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, kassa said:

I could be conflating it with Thanksgiving, but I thought Janelle said the KIDS got a house, so she wasn't paying for it. 

I could be remembering this wrong, but it seems to me that when Meri, Robyn, Kody, and Janelle were outside, and Janelle first mentioned the Air BnB, she said the kids were getting it.

Then, in a couch interview, she said she and Christine were splitting it.

I wonder if, when she brought it up at first, if she put it on the kids, because she didn't want any b.s. from Kody about alienating his kids from him. 

2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Did the Browns film "Christmas" themselves or was it the film crew?  If it was the film crew, then it was all  put on just for the show anyway.  The crew gets Christmas off.  

I'm pretty sure the footage from Robyn's house from Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Lesser Wives' Children's Second Christmas Day was all cell phone footage.

I'd have to go back and watch for sure. A quick way to tell is to watch the scene with Christine and Kody at the restaurant. That was professionally shot. You can tell by the quality, the good lighting and sound, and by the cuts from Kody to Christine, and back. (Ditto the big argument between Kody and Janelle at Janelle's apartment.)

I'm pretty sure all the Christmas celebration-related video was pretty much iPhone quality (i.e. lesser).

• Like 4
  • Useful 5
4 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

"Maybe I should just be the devil I think I am" is an overt threat IMHO.  He can't take one of his automatic weapons and wipe out the family, that would end the TLC paycheck.  But he acts like he's thinking about it.  Creepy scary.

Thank you, and I agree.  Something was giving me the shudders when he spoke those words, and it wasn't just the dead glare in his black marble eyes - you're right, the man owns an arsenal.  Even if he didn't, the supposed head of a large family stating outright that he might as well be the devil since no one listens to him anyway is disturbing.  And I don't think he's acting.  If this is what he's like even a fraction of the time, then Robyn got way more than she ever bargained for.

4 hours ago, mytmo said:

Wonder if he still does his pretend church at Robyn's?

Only if church starts at 3pm.

4 hours ago, kassa said:

Sol looks so much like Logan. 

He really does.  Too bad Sol doesn't have a Logan watching out for him.  There's something about that little boy that makes me sad...he was born to supposedly be the glue that held the family together, per Robyn's machinations.  Instead he seems naturally shy, and lives in a house with a narcisistic dad, a manipulative mom, two older drama queen sisters, and a little sister who is almost certainly being infantilized by her parents and is a self-proclaimed "pest."

2 hours ago, altopower said:

Not to mention that after seeing the inside of Robyn's house for once, I don't need to see it again. Way too much crap and clutter.

I love freeze-framing on her house and just marveling at the incredible amount of crap on every surface.  Those Dickens Village items are not cheap, and she had a whole long section of them.  Meanwhile, Janelle lives in a shoebox and has nothing to her name.  

That said, what would Janelle have to do to extricate herself from the crapshow of Kody and Robyn's finances?  Seeing as how the show is like 18 months behind, maybe she's already taken care of it but legally, I was wondering how hard it would be for her to get out of that mess.  

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 17
  • Love 2

I think Kootie is trolling us.  Is he acting a part? Nah. Is he acting out, like an enraged three-year old?  More likely.  He should just get it over with and hurl himself down on the floor, throw his legs up in the air, and commence screaming til he wears himself out. 

Then Honeymoon Robyn can squeeze her way between the Dickenson what-nots and the Precious Moments goo-gaas, kiss his fevered forehead and gently lead him to bed where they both can sleep for 14 hours straight... 😎

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I love freeze-framing on her house and just marveling at the incredible amount of crap on every surface.  Those Dickens Village items are not cheap, and she had a whole long section of them. 

I joined a "ROBYN BROWN" FB page for a minute (seems it was taken down quickly- lots of rabid supporters on the attack there.) One of the laugh-worthiest comments I read was "Robyn and Kody keep a beautiful, clean house." Also defending Robyn because she works "full time" (MSWC, evidently) and that she NEEDED childcare because Sol was having learning issues at school and she couldn't possibly help him with his schoolwork while having the other kids to care for. Lots and lots of hatred for Christine on that page. And if anyone asked "why do you feel like vomiting when seeing Christine on the screen?" (that was an actual post) there was a flurry of comments like "if you don't know you are stupid," and "open your eyes!"  Crazy-town.

2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

That said, what would Janelle have to do to extricate herself from the crapshow of Kody and Robyn's finances? 

I would imagine, since three of the women involved were not legally married to Kody, that they may have formed an LLC or some such to purchase the properties as a group. So maybe Janelle can make legal moves to extricate herself from their LLC and ask them to buy her out? If they still owe money on Coyote Pass, maybe they could sell it, pay off the loan they took out with the previous owner and each walk away with a little bit of the cash that remains? Just spitballing here.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5
36 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I joined a "ROBYN BROWN" FB page for a minute (seems it was taken down quickly- lots of rabid supporters on the attack there.) One of the laugh-worthiest comments I read was "Robyn and Kody keep a beautiful, clean house." Also defending Robyn because she works "full time" (MSWC, evidently) and that she NEEDED childcare because Sol was having learning issues at school and she couldn't possibly help him with his schoolwork while having the other kids to care for. Lots and lots of hatred for Christine on that page. And if anyone asked "why do you feel like vomiting when seeing Christine on the screen?" (that was an actual post) there was a flurry of comments like "if you don't know you are stupid," and "open your eyes!"  Crazy-town.

This seems like it is in the upside-down- verse.  I can't imagine anyone besides Kody buying what Robyn is selling.  I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round.  🙀

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
On 9/11/2023 at 1:54 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Ariella is a very strange ilttle girl, and I don't diss kids lightly but she's really odd. She seems to be ADDDDDDDDDDD in a bad way and they just humor her a lot. She has this weird 'entitled little miss' attitude to her also. The pacifier kills me.

Well, after all, it's tough being the "social lubricant" of such a (formerly) large family!

Also, it might just be me, but when I watched the new intro to the show all I could hear in my mind as each wife was shown with the mountain behind her was Meri's voice saying over and over "Look at the mountain..."!

• Wink 1
  • LOL 11

Watching Kody eat...cringe. Just settin' thur, off on his own, not bothering to wait until his family was done making their "crepes" and could join in, staring off into space and shoving that mess into his mouth while looking miserable. Back when all he had was tenders who could follow him around, he was jolly and gregarious on xmas morning. Now that most of his kids (and wives) don't want or need him, he's miserable and it shows. 

Kody, you're supposed to play Santa, not Satan! Not that Satan would have you, you're in no way cool enough.

Does anyone think his "crepe" additions was some way to make sure the viewer knows how "cool" and "quirky" he is, a la working out to Pachelbel's Canon? Manic Pixie Dream Kody....or just manic?

Those motorbikes were dumb. The only ones old enough to ride them are the three elder, and after Day'un's ATV accident, I doubt he'd want to get on one to ride it around the property. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, General Days said:

I could be remembering this wrong, but it seems to me that when Meri, Robyn, Kody, and Janelle were outside, and Janelle first mentioned the Air BnB, she said the kids were getting it.

Then, in a couch interview, she said she and Christine were splitting it.

I wonder if, when she brought it up at first, if she put it on the kids, because she didn't want any b.s. from Kody about alienating his kids from him. 

I'm pretty sure the footage from Robyn's house from Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Lesser Wives' Children's Second Christmas Day was all cell phone footage.

I'd have to go back and watch for sure. A quick way to tell is to watch the scene with Christine and Kody at the restaurant. That was professionally shot. You can tell by the quality, the good lighting and sound, and by the cuts from Kody to Christine, and back. (Ditto the big argument between Kody and Janelle at Janelle's apartment.)

I'm pretty sure all the Christmas celebration-related video was pretty much iPhone quality (i.e. lesser).

Kootie filming something without the phone being 6 inches from his face ?  Could it be !??

• LOL 5

I’d really like to know how Christine and Kody decided to name their children such “different” names. Are they somehow from the Mormon church history? Pardon?

Of course, I meant to type “Paedon”.

• LOL 9

Okay, gotta say it.  Christine's habit of repeating herself has gotten on my nerves.  I mean, super gotten on my nerves.  How that family has put up with that all of these years is amazink.  Rilly, rilly amazink.  Hope her new hubby has invested in some good earplugs. 😬

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

He really does.  Too bad Sol doesn't have a Logan watching out for him.  There's something about that little boy that makes me sad...he was born to supposedly be the glue that held the family together, per Robyn's machinations.  Instead he seems naturally shy

Sol was supposed to be the perfect son, borne by the one true wife. He had to be as awesome, daring, cool and womanising as his dad. The son he could turn into Kody 2.0. Unfortunately, Sol is nothing like him. Being the sensitive boy he is, I suspect he is fully aware of “not living up to dad’s expectations”. 
There are several scenes in SW where Kody tries to push the poor kid out of his comfort zone. Sol never seems at ease when his dad is around. He even seems anxious and a little scared. And that is so sad…..

• Like 3
  • Sad 12
  • Applause 2
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Was Meri and Kody’s  child ever mentioned regarding Christmas plans?  And, was Dayton shown in the Christmas scenes?

Leon was never mentioned. Possibly their preference. Same with Logan. 

Dayton exclaimed something about "redneck motorcycles" when the motorbikes were revealed. It was quick and easy to miss.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2

I like how Sobbyn,  the literary genius has to explain to us that  “A Christmas Carol, was written by Charles Dickens.” 
eye roll.

As for her “kidsez”: 

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought Ari was damn creepy. Poor Sol.

• Like 20
17 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Dayton exclaimed something about "redneck motorcycles" when the motorbikes were revealed. It was quick and easy to miss.

I think it was redneck scooters.

Does anyone think Kody and Robyn will try to get TLC to take them on an overseas trip?

I have to believe that when he saw the instagram posts of the Europe tour, and thought about the fact that his personally funded vacations seem to be camping trips that he'll try to outdo Christine and take his tenders and love muffin to somewhere better

Maybe the Galapagos? Or the Amazon? Or at least the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

NarciKody and NariRobyn can't be outdone by Christine.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Could Mykelti, Ysabel and Truely have gotten any less screen time at Robyn’s?

Ysabel did not look happy.

I imagine the gifts for Ysabel and Truely were very impersonal.  Unless Christine bought them. Kody doesn’t know anything about the two of them and Robyn doesn’t either. Especially considering how they’ve isolated themselves. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Sol was supposed to be the perfect son, borne by the one true wife. He had to be as awesome, daring, cool and womanising as his dad. The son he could turn into Kody 2.0. Unfortunately, Sol is nothing like him. Being the sensitive boy he is, I suspect he is fully aware of “not living up to dad’s expectations”. 
There are several scenes in SW where Kody tries to push the poor kid out of his comfort zone. Sol never seems at ease when his dad is around. He even seems anxious and a little scared. And that is so sad…..

I do remember Kootie saying in an earlier episode, that Sol was his shyest child.  He's the seventh son, which is supposed to mean something special. 

Ari is Kootie all over again, much more than I suspect Sol will ever be.  Leave it to Kootie to try and make Sol into what he wants, not what Sol is supposed to be.  Poor kid.

• Like 12
On 9/11/2023 at 7:24 AM, Granny58 said:

My thoughts from last night:  1.  I like the brown shade of Meri's hair.  2.  I like Meri this season.  I can see why she has friends outside of the family.  3.  I hate to bash on kids and typically do not....but...my god, Ari.  All the brattiness, none of the charm.  Sol was fine, trying to maintain some decorum next to his banshee sister.  4.  For Kody to say "I don't know what to do about Meri" would have justified an actual knife to the kidney.  5.  I was okay with Robyn saving some presents for her kids to open with the other kids the next day.  But I hate myself for finding something positive about her.  6.  She absolutely WOULD NOT and DID NOT approve of having the non-Robyns over at Christmas.  7.  ASSHOLE ASSHOLE ASSHOLE...YOU MAKE THE FRIKKIN' EFFORT TO CONTACT (OR BETTER, GET TOGETHER WITH) YOUR OTHER CHILDREN AT CHRISTMAS!  8.  I'm the bridge builder in my family (well, I was before too many died and now there's no need) so I get Mykelti's mindset.  9.  More comments if I think of any.  

You are a very kind person, I can tell. 

But Ysabel and Truely also had presents, didn't they?  Which is why she included gifts for her kids.  Or am I wrong?  

They didn't have a BIGASS PILE like the Sobbyn kids did.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

When Kidney was going on and on about he didn't know what the family would look like made me mad. The family is the same, the kids are growing up and all not in the same locations. The family will always be all of them, but now with added spouses and grandkids. What the hell is wrong with him? It shouldn't be about being pissed off at Janelle and Christine. Those two were responsible for many years of raising the kids, while he farted and flitted around trying to show how special he was. They have no problem with you seeing your children and Christine even came from Utah to spend Christmas closer to the family. It's just stupid the way Kidney is acting towards his kids and saying on camera the shit he's saying about Jenelle and Christine. Everytime he's on screen he looks like the demon from Ghostbusters 2 or Randal Flagg's demon from The Stand miniseries with Ringwald. Like get over yourself and go spend time with your kids. The family is still the family to everyone but him.

• Like 13
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1

Regarding all the unusual Mormon names, I've heard another reason for the creative spelling and such.  The Mormon community has somewhat of an inbred quality to it with a lot of families sharing the same last names.  The weird first name spellings help distinguish folks from one another.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 9

Does anyone know if Kody's "friend" divorced Meri's sister or the other sister wife? How come we only see these relatives of the Browns once in a blue moon, and then they never appear again? It makes those scenes look scripted. 

And Kody sounds like an ass, but we already knew that. I'm curious why poor Savanah was left out of Christmas #2 at Robyn's house, but Christine's daughters were invited. Did Kody just forget about Savanah, or is she being punished for whatever Kody thinks Janelle did. I wonder if Christine asked why Savanah was not invited, since we're supposed to believe at this point that Christine doesn't know the full extent of what happened between Janelle and Kody.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I think it was redneck scooters.

Does anyone think Kody and Robyn will try to get TLC to take them on an overseas trip?

I have to believe that when he saw the instagram posts of the Europe tour, and thought about the fact that his personally funded vacations seem to be camping trips that he'll try to outdo Christine and take his tenders and love muffin to somewhere better

Maybe the Galapagos? Or the Amazon? Or at least the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

NarciKody and NariRobyn can't be outdone by Christine.

Send them to the Arctic Circle for a Polar Bear watch.  We all know how much Robyn loves the cold and if it became time to defend his family, Kody could pull the knife from his kidney and go mano a mano with the bear.

• LOL 16
14 hours ago, monagatuna said:

Those motorbikes were dumb. The only ones old enough to ride them are the three elder, and after Day'un's ATV accident, I doubt he'd want to get on one to ride it around the property. 

I forgot about that - that's how Day'un injured his eye, if I recall - riding an ATV around on his bio dad's property.  I am shocked that Robyn didn't put the kibosh on Kody's plan.  And who is going to watch those kids as they ride around dodging prairie dogs and tumbleweeds?  Oh, that's right - probably the nanny.

1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

I'm curious why poor Savanah was left out of Christmas #2 at Robyn's house, but Christine's daughters were invited. Did Kody just forget about Savanah, or is she being punished for whatever Kody thinks Janelle did.

1,000% this.  It's absolutely pathetic on Kody's part and heartbreaking for Savanah.  As Janelle said, Savanah did nothing wrong.  Unless Savanah didn't want to go over to Robyn's with the other lesser daughters...but my understanding is that she wasn't even asked.  While I applaud Logan and Hunter for removing themselves from this show for the most part, I sure would love to get their insights on how their dad has been treating their younger siblings.

I saw another Tik Tok video where someone paused the show on the interior of Robyn's kitchen where we  can see approximately 25 bottles of pills lined up on the counter.  The video suggested that most of those bottles were vitamins, but to have them sitting out like that seems strange when you have young kids around.  I am not trying to dogpile on Robyn if she really is a hoarder because that is a real mental health disorder.  I do question the sense of having a ton of medication bottles sitting out within the reach of her kids, though.  Honestly, the more you look at the interior of their house, the more you see the incredible disparity between how Robyn gets to live, and how Janelle lives.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Does that LIV line that Kootie was hawking a couple of years ago come in vitamin form?  Maybe those bottles are samples, or customer orders?

Or seeing as how unhinged as Kootie has become maybe its steroids?  

Why leave it out on the counter like that when you know a film crew would be coming in?  Maybe it was done on purpose? 🤔 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
26 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Why leave it out on the counter like that when you know a film crew would be coming in?

That wasn't a film crew. The Christmas footage was self-taped.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 9/11/2023 at 5:41 PM, 65mickey said:

I can agree with this but this is not the case here. There were no new babies. Ari and Sol are old enough to understand that they had their Christmas the previous day when they got their presents and Ysabel, Truely and Mykelti would be having their Christmas with their dad a day later. When Robyn said that she saved back some of her kids gifts to unwrap while the other non Robyn's offsprings received their gifts the camera panned to the tree that was loaded underneath with gifts. All this was Robyn making sure that no other sibling would get a gift while her children sat there and watched regardless of the fact that her kids got a big Christmas the day before. 

Abso-effin-lutely! Both Sol and Ari are old enough to understand their Christmas was yesterday and today is their siblings' Christmas with dad. There was no need for presents for them again today. Whether Robyn saved them from yesterday or not, it was unnecessary.

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2