Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E12: Let Me See Your Peacock!

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I was getting a really well dressed pimp

totally

10 hours ago, Thumper said:

I liked Prajje’s and it seemed very “peacock” to me!  I thought his artwork was cool.

I thought the fit on the pants was terrible. It was all bunched.

10 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Seriously, an unadorned black bullet proof vest and a mono colour skirt and pant set.  Seriously?

If I saw that on the runway I would not think it was a best actor nominee. I would think that one of the extras from Gladiator came in his film costume.

10 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Again with the boring Rami look (to me), again with bias seaming, in fabric choices that appear cheap.

It did not lie well at all.

Just before Elaine announced the final results, she said something like "all the looks were bold and exciting".  Note that this is after the judges all complained that Laurence's look was completely boring. I guess the line was scripted weeks ago.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

How they did not mention previous judge Johnny Weir in any of those peacocking discussions/examples is beyond me. I mean, it's one thing to wear those clothes on a red carpet and another to wear them while covering sports (yes, granted, it's figure skating but c'mon...).

Anyway.

Brittany got really lucky with her model because that outfit was almost clown not peacock. Laurence skated by again with something that wasn't much of anything. But the right person went home.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I think 90 minutes is too long when there are only 5 contestants, or else I'm just bored with these five.  I thought Laurence and her attitude should have gone home but I guess they want to see her tailored leather looks in  the finals (so do I).   I guess Brittany's style was referential to the Gucci collection, but I thought it was good.  I hate that style on a man, so its hard for me to judge.  

Rami's didn't impress me.  It seemed like his draping but on a man and the model was so pale it just blended in.  But I think they want Rami in the finals.

So I think Rami and Laurence will be in the finals. Of the other three, I'd actually like to see Brittany.   But I suspect Brittany will go and it will be Bishme.  

I love Christian, but the judges are falling down at the task.   Brandon offers next to nothing.   

Edited by weaver
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
12 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Bottom Two: I didn’t think Prajje was that bad except for the ugly turtle neck. I thought he’d get to stay over Laurence. 

I hated the turtle neck too but I really liked the rest of his design/painted fabric.  I presume he went rather than Laurence because he's been in the bottom a lot and she' been in the top a lot.

• Like 10

Prajje's was terrible, and on top of that why didn't he press the lapels?

Bishme's suit was well tailored and constructed and also creative.

Once again, Rami had sewing/construction/fit issues, and he made expensive material look cheap.  At least this time he had a creative design idea, however.

Brittany's was better and also well constructed.  I guess they didn't like the fact that she may have copied from other designers.  They mentioned the word original at the end before crowning Rami.  I think they needed to give him a win so he can go to the finals.  

• Like 7
1 hour ago, rhofmovalley said:

Brittany gets praised and put in the top for pants that were very similar to what got Korto kicked off last episode. 

Korto's pants looked like a python made of brocade had attacked her model's legs and wrapped itself around them. Brittany's pants were oversized, but taylored. JMHO

• Like 15

I think Laurence should have gone.  If nothing else, she needed a pop of another color.  Rami used silver edging, Bishme had prominent fasteners, but this was blue and black.  Not peacocky at all.

I would have been as fangirly as Elaine over Coleman Domingo.  The man is talented!

The reason no one squeels over the female models is that most of them don't have figures.  They're stick straight not vava voom.  The male models have great bodies in addition to great faces.

• Like 4

Laurence appeared extra bored this episode and created a boring mishmash of an outfit.
I think Brittany binged Dynasty recently because that shirt would not have looked out of place on an over the top 80s soap opera.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, SHD said:

Shoutout to everyone mentioning the ridiculous, unprofessional drooling over the male models and the fact that there were no plus-size men on the runway. 

I think Rami’s would’ve been way more striking in a vibrant color and/or with a color gradation in the diagonal panels to give a subtle ombre effect.

I agree with your take on Rami's design being in a color...ANY color (except maybe Bishme green 😉)  Or, his design, as is, would have looked far better on a model with a different skin tone. It seemed washed out on this model. I was suprised it won.  

I didn't find anything redeeming about Prajje's design this time, from the fit to the color to the over designing.  Laurence's look didn't quite fit the request, but it was a better overall look.  I wonder why the idea of a bulletproof vest?

I feel the judges changed their opinion of Brittany's look from the first set of critiques to the decision, at which time they dinged her for originality and referencing Gucci.  Has anyone seen the Gucci look they were referring to?  I thought she had the win in the bag, at first.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Has anyone seen the Gucci look they were referring to?  I thought she had the win in the bag, at first.

They gave a quick shot of it, I think. I'll look for it. I agree with you, I think she was on top until they talked over it being derivative. 

I think this is what they showed: image.thumb.png.31faa3613410cff6ee50e048e9f49af1.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Brynnjk said:

Too bad it wasn't a double elimination but I had a feeling this was probably Pradje's week.  And his outfit was so bad.  But I am also so over Laurence.  She does beautiful leather work but that outfit was horrendous.  A bulletproof vest and a pleated kilt with fabric that looked cheap to me.  It had nothing to do with peacocking.  NOTHING!  I know they look at past work but I miss the days when no matter how much of a frontrunner you are, a terrible week meant you are going home.

And I'm a big fan of Rami.  I loved his look.  Granted his model's skin tones didn't help but I thought the concept was beautiful.  I've seen Brittni's look before and I'm sorry I all I got was pimp vibes from Bishme's look.  Agree with whoever called him Huggy Bear.  Spot on. 

At the end of the day, I have no confidence at all in this judging panel so they are going to do whatever they want.  I'm just going to enjoy it as long as I can.  Christian is so much fun.

I LOVE CHRISTIAN!!! he cracks me up

• Like 16

In sketch form, Brittany's look rang a lot of "I've seen Harry Styles already wear this outfit before" alarm bells so calling it "referential" was a tactful bit of semantics. In some ways, the outfit is like the greatest hits of Harry Styles because the sheerness of the top is from his MET Gala look, the bow from his Gucci, etc.

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3

Did you know there are just FIVE designers left?? FIVE? How many times was that mentioned? They can’t count?

Bishme — This reminds me of a cartoon character — the Joker, maybe? Green Hornet? Didn’t like the scarf or whatever it was covering the face.

Rami — I want to see Mimi in that design. It didn’t necessarily blow me away, and I agree with Nina that it looked a little saggy in spots.

Prajje — LOL. My obvious lack of fashion sense strikes again. I thought this was cool. But I must have bad taste. 😄

Brittany — He looked like a 19th century schoolmarm. The blouse was something out of the ‘80s, minus the shoulder pads. The pants actually worked with the design, so the criticism in the workroom comparing them to Korto’s was wrong. Surprised that the judges didn’t make a bigger deal over the obvious references. They have with others.

Laurence — Whole thing was wrong. That shirt though, would have totally killed it, so good that she trashed it.  But she had no good choices to make with that. It looked sloppy, TBH. 

More contradictory shit from the judges. How many times do they pound it into designers “Don’t lose your vision” and “Don’t let the client dictate the look so that you lose your voice”? But then Brandon and Domingo said almost the exact opposite. Something got lost in the translation with Laurence. It happens.

Rami continues to justify the save. So happy for him. Glad Brittany got over her menswear phobia.

Not the least surprised Laurence got by. Why she did, don’t ask me. Top two, if not the winner. At least Prajje won’t have to put up with Christian anymore. ☹️

Edited by RoseAllDay
  • Like 4

Although he seems like an absolutely lovely man, I do NOT understand the Rami love. Every single thing he makes looks like a bad college frat toga thrown together with a twin bed sheet to me. And this week he took the palest man on the planet and wrapped him in what really did look a white hospital bed sheet. A saggy bed sheet. Dude pretty much disappeared. Not one ounce of color anywhere, and the challenge was called "Let Me See Your Peacock". Same with one-note Laurence. Yes, I know - she can sew a leather jacket. We've seen it. Every. Single. Challenge. I feel like neither one of them have more than one trick up their sleeves. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5

I honestly think Brittany would have won, had it not been "a copycat" look that people already have worn, I do think she has an amazing talent. Bishme's look - yeah the hat was bad and the color, but it actually looked nice. I had to laugh when Brandon said Prajee's outfit looked like a toy soldier getting ready to go to a gay bar. I was amazed that 950.00 and two days and that is what Laurence came up with. It should have been a double elimination in my opinion. They gave Rami the win because he was unique. I agree that the fabric choice was not the greatest. I don't really remember Laurence on her season, was she always this dour? 

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
sorry it was Prajee's outfit Brandon said
  • Like 8

I liked Brittany's look a lot more than that clinically depressed British schoolboy Gucci look.

Bishme's would have been so much better if he'd done that scarf/cape thing in a much lighter fabric. It was awkward and stiff and didn't add anything the way he did it.

Laurence's look was unfinished and drab. No peacock for you!

What a happier fun workroom there was this episode. Laurence smiling? Laurence laughing ?!?! Oh, no Debbie Downer Korto.

Ha. Forgot to mention Prajje's whatever. It didn't fit. Anywhere. It was cheesy and as costumey as anything Kara Saun did this season.

I really liked Rami's except for the combination of the fabric and model. That look on a different model, or a different fabric on the model he chose, and it would have been fabulous.

Edited by carrps
  • Like 12

Given the parameters of the challenge, I’d have given the win to Bishme.   I liked Brittany’s and thought Rami’s was a snooze.    The other two were abominations but there is no way they will ever send Laurence home.   Having said that, I’m glad Prajji got aufed.   

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, Gloriosa said:

I'm a little bit in love with Rami (in a nonromantic way), so I'm really happy he got the win and $5K.  But yeah, he really needed to put some color on that model.

Honestly, Rami could make me a garment by sewing two Aldi shopping bags together for all I care, just to spend a few hours with him to hear more of his stories would be a win for me. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1

I loved Rami’s look.  Taking techniques and materials from a woman’s bridal dress and translating it into a mans outfit was original.  Praije’s was awful.  It didn’t fit and the paint looked really odd.

For the person who asked whether Tim Gunn spent as much time with the contestants, yes he did.  In an interview, he said that he spent 3-4 hours in the workroom, but it was never shown.

• Like 11
  • Useful 5
6 hours ago, Shelbie said:

Laurence appeared extra bored this episode and created a boring mishmash of an outfit.
I think Brittany binged Dynasty recently because that shirt would not have looked out of place on an over the top 80s soap opera.

Laurence appears bored  and above everyone else every episode. Granted she’s good, but tonight she should have gone home. I’m bored of her attitude. Isn’t part of the prize some kind of apprenticeship with the fashion institute? I can’t imagine wanting to work with her. She’s just way too cool for school. 

• Like 23
46 minutes ago, Lady of nod said:

Laurence appears bored  and above everyone else every episode. Granted she’s good, but tonight she should have gone home. I’m bored of her attitude. Isn’t part of the prize some kind of apprenticeship with the fashion institute? I can’t imagine wanting to work with her. She’s just way too cool for school. 

I am also tired of her attitude and her being “cool”  Also tired of leather…

I think she feels entitled to win.

Her outfit was just awful - but I figured she was safe.

• Like 15
19 hours ago, swankie said:

This is what immediately came to my mind when Bishme's model walked out! 🤣

Screenshot_20230825-012108_Chrome.jpg

Me too.   But I also thought that pimp was the exact look Bishme was going for.   Pimps are the original peacocks.   

• Like 13

The second Prajje went with the copper mesh turtleneck, he lost. And Christian warned him, too.

The third time someone said "Gucci" re: Brittany, she wasn't going to win.

Laurence was safe because she called it a Lenny Kravitz red carpet look, and I'm 90% sure I've literally seen him wear something roughly that outfit on a red carpet. So if Brittany wasn't going to get aufed for a copycat look, neither was Laurence.

I didn't mind the idea of the hat kinda deal Bishme was going for, but I think the specific hat he delivered was not the right hat for this to work.

Rami's didn't fit quite right, but that was apparently a lesser sin than copying Gucci or the not-quite-right hat, so I wasn't surprised he won, even though I didn't especially like it. I did think it met the challenge, though, and it screamed Rami, but to me did not look exactly like everything he's already done. So, ok fine, I guess.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, SHD said:

Shoutout to everyone mentioning the ridiculous, unprofessional drooling over the male models and the fact that there were no plus-size men on the runway. 

I think Rami’s would’ve been way more striking in a vibrant color and/or with a color gradation in the diagonal panels to give a subtle ombre effect.

This is exactly what I thought. A gradation of color would have been stunning. I give Rami a lot of credit because the fabrics he chooses are really hard to work with. I've not sewn a whole lot of silk, but the bit I have makes me appreciate folks that make it look easy. Sewing silk chiffon is like sewing air that frays.

• Like 11

All those mentions of peacocking and no one comments that the show airs on Peacock. 😆

I agree with the top and bottom looks. Laurence was by far the worst, but I guess Prajje has been in the bottom more and they want to see more from Laurence.

I liked Rami’s. It had some fit issues but I can definitely see someone like Jordan Roth wearing that look. (Google image search him if you are unfamiliar with who he is.)

The like green color of Bishme’s was incredible against his model’s skin tone! I loved that! As soon as he walked out I also said the hat should go, but it definitely did make a statement.

IMO Brittany’s was the best, but it definitely was very referential of existing looks whereas Rami’s was more unusual, so I can see why they didn’t give her the win. Timothee Chalemet would totally wear that.

I have no idea what was going on with Laurence. Ugly and even worse, boring! Hers was the opposite of peacocking. She probably should have kept that metallic top just to give it some kind of flair.

Colman Domingo was a great judge! Loved hearing his comments and seeing him on this show.

(I totally kept thinking that Brittany’s model was the actor who played Cary’s boyfriend on The Other Two, but they just have a really similar face.)

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 5

I just watched.

LOVED Bishme's, hat and all.  It was very 80's Gap Band but in a great way.

HATED Laurence's.  She should've gone home.  

I would've had Brittany in the bottom and I was bored with Rami's but happy that he finally got a win because he seems like such a sweet guy.

I'm sad for Prajje.  I really wanted to see a runway show from him.

• Like 7

I tried to picture all these looks at like an MTV Awards red carpet, and I feel like none of them would be out of place, so good job designers. 

Prajjé was the clear loser for me. It was all so discombobulated. None of his pieces were particularly good in the first place. That's the difference when it came to Laurence's look. I liked all her individual pieces, but it didn't have something to tie it together. 

Brittany's look was solid. I get the whole referential thing, but it seemed more fun and playful than that one Timothy Chalamet wore they compared it to.  Rami's look seemed so familiar to me, too. I feel like I've seen it on someone like Jared Leto at the Met Gala. I can't place it, but I've seen a similar garment. I liked both just fine, but not as much as the judges did

Who is left? Okay, Bishmee. Looked good, fit well. It was a good color for his model's skin tone. (I could never wear it) I like the hat just fine.

Edited by gorgy
  • Like 6

Buh bye Prajé, never thought your stuff was very good.

I like Rami in general, but that white schmata was atrocious and looked even more awful on his Casper the ghost whiter than white model. The seams looked dodgey and it was just all wrong IMO. The judges clearly don't give a shit though.

I am sooooo over Laurence and hope she's out next. The level of snottiness and ego is so off putting. She really thinks she csn put anything down the runway and the judges will eat it up because it's 'Laurence'. Between Laurence, Praje and Kouto, I cannot remember a group of contestants who couldn't take an ounce of criticism. Of you're all that, abd you're above this show, then why did you agree to be on it? Hmm?

The Gucci copy was too close and shouldnhave gotten dinged more for that IMO. But apparently the judges love her so it's okay, just a wrist slap.

And don't get me started on that line sherbet nightmare that Bishme sent down the runway. Talk about being too costumey, just horrid. 

Lastly, when they close up on some of the pieces you can see how junky the sewing is, with puckered seam aplenty. They really don't hold standards as high as they used to when Tim and Heidi were on.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

I like Rami in general, but that white schmataqas atrocious and looked when more awful on his Casper the ghost whiter than white model.

Interesting typo. Now, I'm picturing Kirk Douglas in a dress.

15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I didn't mind the idea of the hat kinda deal Bishme was going for, but I think the specific hat he delivered was not the right hat for this to work.

I was thinking if he wanted to go with a Western movie vibe, he should have made the hat look more like a cowboy hat...a Stetson or even an Indiana Jones type hat. Not a pimp hat.

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, carrps said:

I was thinking if he wanted to go with a Western movie vibe, he should have made the hat look more like a cowboy hat...a Stetson or even an Indiana Jones type hat. Not a pimp hat.

yeah, I didn't get cowboy *at all.* My first thought was gangster/pimp. I just watched an old episode of Silent Witness and it was centered around a nightclub that "tolerated" drug dealers for a cut (apparently) of the action, and the owner dressed very flamboyantly like that.

• Like 1

The green outfit reminded me of the time Melania Trump wore a similarly green dress (2020, at the Republican National Convention ). The dress worked like a green-screen projection screen like weather reporters use, and internet folks had a field day using her dress as a place to project comments, memes, pictures, etc. 

Imagine someone wearing the green suit at a red carpet event. The same thing would have happened. I doubt the client would be very happy about it. Not a good color choice for a big event.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

Rami's jacket reminded me a little of Celine Dion's backwards white tuxedo back in the day. But I loved how the seams in the sleeve matched up with the seams in the body of the jacket. But I only saw one closeup of the glittery piping that he used on the seams.  I liked the Zac Posen Era of judging when the judges and the camera looked at the finishes close up.

The sleeves on Brittany's shirt were very similar to her sheer, modest dress from last week. Laurance had essentially 2.5 days to come up with a shirt to tie that outfit together.  I've seen men at Scottish weddings that were peacocking more than that. But you knew they were more interested in seeing her collection for the finale than Praje's. His appearance with Christian on the After Show is worth finding.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, OlderThanDirt said:

The sleeves on Brittany's shirt were very similar to her sheer, modest dress from last week.

Similar in that the fabrics were sheer and striped. The design was quite different. The dress had fitted sleeves with a scrunchy-like detail on the bicep; the blouse had full, "blousy" sleeves with a fitted cuff with a small single ruffle.

• Like 3
On 8/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

I feel the judges changed their opinion of Brittany's look from the first set of critiques to the decision, at which time they dinged her for originality and referencing Gucci.  Has anyone seen the Gucci look they were referring to?  I thought she had the win in the bag, at first.

When they excused everyone to talk about the placing of the looks they started w/top 3. Nina sad it is a bit referential and they very briefly showed Brittany's look on the left and a puffy shirt and red bow tie  paired with with high waisted full black pants on the right. They said Harry Stiles wore it.🙄

I didn't get it.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:43 PM, dleighg said:

They gave a quick shot of it, I think. I'll look for it. I agree with you, I think she was on top until they talked over it being derivative. 

I think this is what they showed: image.thumb.png.31faa3613410cff6ee50e048e9f49af1.png

Oh thank you dleiggh!

They also made mention of those closures down the front of the pant that they instantly recognize as Brittany's

Nevermind that the guest who actually wears atypical looks for men on red carpets had a hugely enthusiastic reaction and said he wanted to wear it now and other named stars would  all be clamouring to be the one to wear it and that would elevate Brittany's name to where it would be on everyone's mind.

Also nevermind that the judges noted Brittany hitting her stride and getting better and better taking on all the suggestions the judges give her.

On 8/25/2023 at 12:48 PM, pally said:

Even with anonymous runways, it is impossible at this point for the judges not to know which designer did what.  They all have their signature looks.

It's my contention that last week the judges kept saying how surprising it was  that the modest/sexy look was Brittany's (Once they found out). You know, the one that made Nina Garcia curl her lip and exclaim  Shit! like she was blown away. I thought it was the best look and would have gotten winning look if it wasn't made by Brittany. Laurance is their darling and you will see her show a collection, so she got the win for her pink leather suit.

Nevermind that one of the judges said Brittany's would make a great Met Gala look AS IS.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:28 AM, weaver said:

So I think Rami and Laurence will be in the finals. Of the other three, I'd actually like to see Brittany.   But I suspect Brittany will go and it will be Bishme.  

You can bank on it!

F' ing haters!

• Like 9

Quick glance at Prajje after Brittany was said to be “referencing” another designer’s look, and you could tell what he was thinking. “She seems to ‘reference’ a lot of other designers… including me.” I don’t think the judges are racist, but given the status quo it must be hard to see the blonde white girl get a pass for something he might he called to task for.

I thought Brittany’s top looked ridiculous, but my husband really liked the pants. (Go figure.) I didn’t love Prajje’s look overall, but I did like the print he made and appreciated the originality. Originals should always win out over remakes in my book, even if the remakes are impeccably tailored.

Once again, I was worried for Rami because I thought that garment puckered in all the wrong places. It also needed color. But it was original, so by my standards, they did something right.

Laurence’s vest was silly, but I really liked the skirt pants. If she had put something else on top, that could have been stunning. I’m not going to knock her attitude; based on what we’ve seen of her backstory, she has reasons for being guarded and self-protective. It may come off as superior, but it doesn’t mean she feels that way. I would guess the opposite, in fact.

Bishme, Bishme, Bishme. I actually liked the notched hat. But nothing else. I’m glad he made it through, though. I think he will have an interesting final collection.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 2

Last week Brittany's modest / sexy look came down the runway and Nina's reaction indicated she was pretty blown away. Judges remarks were  that they never would have known it was hers and that it would make a great Met Gala look etc.

So one would wonder why it wasn't the winning look? Personally, I believe if the designers of each look were not known  to the judges, they'd have given Brittany the win.

• Like 5
On 8/24/2023 at 9:22 PM, Pi237 said:

Brittany just tried to compliment her, asking how does that triple crown feel? And she acted all insulted, “? What? It’s not a triple crown.” Then snotted in voiceover ‘I’m not here to win challenges, I’m here to win it all” or something like that 

Heaven knows Laurence is prickly and dour, but I think her affront was at least partially not knowing what “triple crown” means. I doubt someone from France is familiar with American horse racing. It’s become an idiom, but idioms are tricky for non-native speakers. So she thought she was being called a princess or coronated or something.

That said, her look was the worst.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Originals should always win out over remakes in my book, even if the remakes are impeccably tailored.

90% of the time I'd agree with you. But I've seen some very original and very baaaaaaaad things.