Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Chapter Eight: Papa

• Start Topic

I loved the scene where Will explained his feelings to help Mike. 

Steve's family plan was adorable but I feel like they give characters these sorts of dreams when they are going to die. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Love 14

Well, that was an episode to come back to. 

I'm glad Brenner is dead. It's too bad it wasn't at the literal hands of Eleven, as he would have deserved it, but at least he's gone. The thing is that he probably IS right, in that Vecna's too dangerous to stop without more training, but because Brenner is the way that he is, he was never getting El to see that. And Brenner was wrong about risking time for this. The scene with El standing up to him was so, so good. Amazing acting from Millie and Matthew Modine.

I really liked the scene with Mike and Will. And Jonathan saw through Will's speech too. The California stuff was decent but I cannot wait to see them back in Hawkins. I did like Mike and El's reunion (and Will and El's! We really missed out on Will/El bonding over the time jump).

I hope Owens is alive. He's such a good character. I loathe Military Dude.

As for the Hawkins scenes, it worked well, but they really have that Looming Death over Steve now. Having him talk about having a big family and his scenes with Robin just make it clear to me that he has a low shot of getting out alive. Goddamnit, and it's gonna be heartbreaking.

I did like Max and Lucas' scene in the camper. I cannot wait to see Max's happiest memory.

That end scene with Journey playing over it is gonna be one of the iconic musical moments (behind Kate Bush, of course).

I am so, so worried about this finale.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 17
35 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I really liked the scene with Mike and Will. And Jonathan saw through Will's speech too.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I loved the scene where Will explained his feelings to help Mike.

The show was trying to kill me, I swear. Will crying and hiding it from Mike... Oh, god, I felt that.

• Like 4
  • Love 15

Made sure to get up early for these last two episodes!  Which, again, really are movies at this point.  Not that I'm complaining, because they really flow well for the most part.

Whelp, looks like we lost our first regular of the season, but since it's Brenner, it's not exactly a heartbreaking loss or anything.  At least he finally (FINALLY!) did the right thing by removing the dampening collar from Eleven before he went, but even if he was right that she might not be fully prepared to take on the Vecna; and I can even buy he truly does care for her in his own twisted way; he crossed way too many lines and committed too many horrible acts to make me shed any tears.  I can understand why Eleven was conflicted though.  And Matthew Modine shined as always.  Either way, I'm glad is reunited with Mike/Will/Jonathan (and Argyle!) now, and hopefully they'll be getting over to Hawkins stat.

Noah Schnapp crushed Will's speech to Mike about "Eleven's" feelings.  I wonder if Mike will ever put two and two together.  Liked that Jonathan was able to figure out what was really going on.  

The scenes in Russia were fun, but I hope they get back in time for everything as well.  Suspect that at least one of them won't make it though.  Safe money is on Joyce and Hopper getting out of here, but I worry for Murray and Dmitri.

I'm trying not to read too much into things, but between his scene with Robin and him talking about his dreams of having a big family, I'm really, really worrying about Steve's fate here.  The show won't go there, right?  Right?!!!

Of course Max is going to willingly make herself bait for the Vecna instead of having a potential innocent person be set-up.  Brave as hell, Max is.

Whatever sympathy I had for Jason at one point is gone now.  Not looking forward to him eventually fucking things up for the gang.

Journey was a great song choice to wrap things up.

Two and a half hours for the finale!  Need to get prepped and dive right in!  And prepare for possible heartbreak... 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 16

Will's speech to Mike was so good, and I loved that Jonathan knew what Will was really saying. I'm looking forward to the inevitable bonding moment between the brothers; I've missed those.

Not sorry to lose Brenner, and I'm glad Eleven didn't absolve him before she left.

I still don't think the Duffers will kill Steve, everyone's favorite character, before the final season. My predictions are still Jason, "Enzo"/Dmitri, and Eddie (sadly, in the latter case -- I've really grown to like him. But that's the Duffers' MO with lovable new characters at this point).

Max is the best. She's brave as hell to offer herself up as bait.

I need to go watch the finale right now.

• Like 5
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Steve's family plan was adorable but I feel like they give characters these sorts of dreams when they are going to die. 

It would have been adorable, except it felt like it was the writers telegraphing that they will kill Steve and he will never be able to experience this dream. Nothing has made me as worried for Steve as that scene.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I really liked the scene with Mike and Will. And Jonathan saw through Will's speech too. The California stuff was decent but I cannot wait to see them back in Hawkins. I did like Mike and El's reunion (and Will and El's! We really missed out on Will/El bonding over the time jump).

The scene with Mike and Will killed me. Also, in my opinion, it takes away any of the debate about how Will feels about Mike - and I was glad that Jonathan caught on, as well. It was actually the most I think I have ever liked Jonathan.

I know there is one season left, but this episode really felt like it was the lead-in to a series finale, rather than a season finale. This whole season actually has felt like the final season.

I continue to feel lukewarm about Eddie, so I hope he is the one who dies. Not out of dislike for him, but because I like the others too much.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

These really do feel like movies, and not just because of the length, they feel epic, like we really are ramping up towards something huge. 

Will's speech to Mike has certainly ended any ambiguity about his feelings towards him, that was a great scene. Poor Will, I don't think that Mike is even close to figuring out how Will feels about him or that he likes him in that kind of way, Will really just cant catch a break. I hope he gets a few wins soon and that every day doesn't involve possession, near death, and having to play couples counselor for a boy he's in love with. I love that Jonathan noticed what was really going on, hopefully they get to talk about it soon. I've missed brotherly bonding between them, they spent all of last season in different subplots and hardly interacted. 

Steve talking about his dreams for a giant family and how he has plenty of experience thanks to the kids was adorable, but it makes me very worried. Characters talking about their dreams for the future are usually marked for death, so I was watching that whole scene with a sense of dread. I want to say that the Duffers wouldn't kill off one of the shows most popular characters, at least not yet, but you never know. Please don't do it show! Killing Steve off would be too heartbreaking, it would be hard for me to even come back to the show at that point, no matter how much I love it.

Eleven telling off Brenner was so satisfying, as was him finally getting a much deserved bullet to the back. I think he did probably have some real paternal feelings towards Eleven and the other kids, but it doesn't make the horrible things he did to them any better. I thought the last scene between them in the desert was great, she didn't give him the absolution he wanted but she was still conflicted about seeing him actually die. He was a horrible parental figure, but he was the only one she had for almost her entire life, of course she would feel a lot of different emotions watching him die. 

• Like 5
  • Love 14
(edited)
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm glad Brenner is dead. It's too bad it wasn't at the literal hands of Eleven, as he would have deserved it, but at least he's gone. The thing is that he probably IS right, in that Vecna's too dangerous to stop without more training, but because Brenner is the way that he is, he was never getting El to see that. And Brenner was wrong about risking time for this. The scene with El standing up to him was so, so good. Amazing acting from Millie and Matthew Modine…

…That end scene with Journey playing over it is gonna be one of the iconic musical moments (behind Kate Bush, of course).

Wow…what an episode! I’m also glad that Brennan is finally gone for good. Matthew Modine was excellent in this creepy role but I was done with him a few seasons ago. Happy that Eleven didn’t give him the absolution that he wanted.

The music choices were fantastic. Playing “Fire and Rain” while Steve was telling Nancy about the future that he wanted was sad and ominous. Count me among those that believe that Steve will die. I hate the thought. And I agree that Journey playing over that end scene is iconic.

2 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Will's speech to Mike was so good, and I loved that Jonathan knew what Will was really saying. I'm looking forward to the inevitable bonding moment between the brothers; I've missed those.

I still don't think the Duffers will kill Steve, everyone's favorite character, before the final season. My predictions are still Jason, "Enzo"/Dmitri, and Eddie (sadly, in the latter case -- I've really grown to like him. But that's the Duffers' MO with lovable new characters at this point).

Will’s speech was well done and it was beautifully highlighted by Jonathan’s reactions. These are the type of character moments that make this show special to me.

If Steve doesn’t die - and I hope he doesn’t - then I fear that Eddie will. I loved his scene in the field with Dustin. One way or another, this show is going to break my heart. This show’s strength is the lovable, quirky characters and I don’t want to lose any of them.

Needless to say, I’m scared for what is coming.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Love 9

Wow. Noah Schnapp hasn’t had a great deal to do this season (again), but he absolutely killed that speech to Mike! Great episode, El taking down the helicopter being a definite highlight. Shame Sullivan didn’t get his, really don’t like that guy…

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

I appreciated the nod to Alien Resurrection with Demogorgon experiments, but couldn't figure out what was swirling around that big container.

I loled at Eddie in the Michael Myers mask, but his moment in the field with Dustin seemed off to me. The other character interactions this episode were great, though. I especially loved Lucas asking Max if he was part of her happiest moment, and Will getting some intense scenes with both Mike and El.

Owens lost some points in part 1 when he sprang Papa on El without even a "somehow Brenner is back" warning, but he redeemed himself a little by putting El in control of her choices in the end. I hope he's ok.

I hope the Russia stuff doesn't drag on much longer, but I'm enjoying this new dynamic between Joyce and Hopper. Yuri can go, though.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 6

I can't believe the adult crew is STILL in Russia. That the Soviets appear to have been trying to breed and study demogorgons is mildly interesting as I assume that's what all the pollywogs thrashing about was supposed to show, but come on. Enough.

Will talking about "Eleven's" feelings was so well done. Noah Schnapp does so much with so little that it's a shame the show hasn't given him more to do since carrying so much of Season 2 on his back. Mike of course was picking up on none of that as he's rarely able to think beyond Eleven Eleven Eleven. I loved Jonathan's knowing glances throughout that talk. It was probably the most I've liked him all season.

Owens wins the idiot stick award for not seeing that Brenner was never going to let his favorite pet go regardless of any deals they may have had or promises he might have made. I suppose he tried and did at least recognize she had a say in this too so he's not all bad, but he also sprang Brenner on her and still should have seen that coming. Matthew Modine was good enough that I could actually buy that he believed what he was saying in the end, that everything he did for Eleven was to protect her. That he thought of her as his family. Her finally being able to tell him no was really satisfying, as was her refusing to give him final absolution for it. There's been a running theme throughout the entire run of the series of Eleven never truly having free will to make her own choices and potentially risking herself over and over to please everybody else. So it was good to see her finally able to stand her ground on this, and how incredible was it watching her even hobbled by the collar bring down that helicopter that would have killed her?

I love that no one seemed to think a bunch of teenagers wandering around the gun store snatching up weapons and kerosene was worth even a second glance. I guess when you're ferrying around that many kids you've got no choice but to swipe the neighbors' RV instead of any number of cars sitting around. The death knells were actually ringing harder for Eddie for me than Steve as his six kids two days away from retirement dream felt more like an obvious misdirect. Or maybe I just assume the Duffers know better than to kill off a fan favorite with one season still to go. I did love Eddie popping out from the behind the trailer in the Michael Myers mask. This show never misses a trick in making those pop culture references.

• Like 3
  • Love 14
51 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

couldn't figure out what was swirling around that big container.

When the Mind Flayer left Will in S2, it formed a grainy looking tornado that I'm pretty sure was the same stuff as that. El had a flashback memory of it this episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

It’s been a while since I saw E7 but all I could think of was WILL BROUGHT THE DRAWING!?! They’re basically on the run and the drawing was in the van the whole time!?

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

Owens made a big mistake teaming up with Brenner. 

El's coma explains her manner of speaking. She lost all her memories and had to learn everything again after banishing One to the Upside Down.

Will's drawing also did not disappoint. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I must really not get feelings because it's still not obvious to me that Will is in love with Mike. The whole thing felt like he's scared of  losing his best friend if he tells him he's gay. That being said, Noah killed that scene. I was also more moved with his reunion with El than Mike's. He needs more story, stat.  

I need the remixed creepy Journey song. I loved it when they used it in the trailer. Perfect for this show.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I'm so scared to watch next episode I'm afraid for Eddie and Steve. 

I hate Brenner but, he got a damn good exit.

I really didn't like the 3-4 different storyline, I felt the Russia stuff just killed the momentum. I ended up FF through them and most of the CA crew (I watched the Hawkins and Nina stuff). I did watch the Mike/Will conversation and, that was great acting by the Will actor.

I can't believe how haunting they made Journey sound. I mean seriously Separate Ways sounded so creepy in the trailer and here at the end of the episode 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, festivus said:

I must really not get feelings because it's still not obvious to me that Will is in love with Mike. The whole thing felt like he's scared of  losing his best friend if he tells him he's gay. That being said, Noah killed that scene. I was also more moved with his reunion with El than Mike's. He needs more story, stat.  

I need the remixed creepy Journey song. I loved it when they used it in the trailer. Perfect for this show.

It's not obvious or at least it's not meant to be. Really people went running with it because Noah Schnapp alluded to it in an interview.

He kills just about every scene he's in. His acting is fantastic, it's so raw

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, mledawn said:

It’s been a while since I saw E7 but all I could think of was WILL BROUGHT THE DRAWING!?! They’re basically on the run and the drawing was in the van the whole time!?

Will stuck the drawing cylinder in his knapsack just before the Evil Army Dudes showed up at the Byers' house.  He was the only one to grab his bag when they had to make a run for it with Agent Hero Guy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, festivus said:

This is kind of where I'm at too. The subtext is certainly there if that's where the show decides to go so I get why other people see it, but I'm not wholly sold that he's in love with Mike as much as he misses that closeness with his best friend they had as kids now that he's grappling with this huge thing that's still going mostly unsaid, Mike's earlier outburst about Will not liking girls aside. That scene could so easily be read as he's afraid Mike will reject him if he comes out. Mike's already repeatedly backburnered him for Eleven on multiple occasions, so Will already knows the friendship isn't Mike's top priority.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I wish Nancy would have laid into the Head Jock, who was trying to intimidate her and question her about Mike.  I really hope he and his crazy posse are dealt with next episode.  I liked seeing El use her powers to see what her friends are up to.

Brenner was insane, I was worried that El would agree with his delusions.  He had a long death scene, wasn't he shot in the lungs?

I wonder how the crew in Russia is going to get back into the states.  Owens is locked up at the moment, I hope Sullivan doesn't intercept that call.

This episode was very ominous!  I'm afraid of what's next.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

After watching this episode it's pretty easy to see why this show's per episode cost was so high. Between the soundtrack and the fact that they blew up a helicopter in the middle of the desert it looked like it cost a fortune.

Also I guess that unless El develops the ability to teleport people then Hopper and Joyce won't be a big factor in next episodes final showdown. Although I am not sure how I feel about how all those upside down monsters that were left in a prison that was about to be overrun by a Demogorgon. Although maybe that is what led to the fall of the USSR.

I am also a bit curious how the Hawkins crew was able to afford to buy all that firepower. Nancy's family seems well off, but I am not sure they are give your daughter a credit card rich.

I am glad that El is finally out of the underground base. Her story there in the first part of the season felt kind of repetitive and I think it would have worked better if she had spent one more ep with Mike and Will. Even if they spent it on the run. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 2
  • Love 7

The good:

Noah Shnapp.  I said this during season two, but that kid carried that season on his back.  Will isn't as flashy as El or and funny as Dustin or Steve or being groomed for romantic interest like Mike.  But dammit Noah can act his ass off.  That little convo where he is talking about El but it is really about him in stealth was great.  And then he turns his head and cries privately. Had me in my feels!  Also Jonathan immediately tipping to it, took me back to S1, when the show did a good job of showing how much Jonathan was in his brother's corner.

The scenes with El, Owens and Papa.  Basically that entire sequence.  Look, I don't watch this show for El to be all existential.  I watch it so she can use her powers to kill monsters and just make terrible people rethink their terrible choices.  So this delivered and, imo, was very, very welcome.

Not gonna lie, I laughed when Eddie asked Max if she had a ski mask or bandanna and the next shot is of him skulking around the corner of his trailer in a Mike Myers Halloween mask.  The way they edited that was funny.  And also Robin's observation that people of course those people were pissed, it isn't everyday you get both your car and your house stolen.

Nancy's resolute face as she saws off her shotgun barrel.  I really want Jerkface Jock to get a load her shooting prowess.

The Ominous:

Ok is Steve gonna die?  Cuz he gave a classic 'I'm about to get dead' monologue with his future fantasy of that house full of kids.  I hope not.  I like Steve.

That entire last scene of them riding to Vecna/One/Harry's house to the stripped down version of 'Separate Ways.' Lucas, Max and Erica walking into that spooky house without a hitch.  I can't imagine they'd kill off either one of those three, but I am a little nervous for Max.

The Disturbing:

The military shooting all those people in the desert and no ambivalence about killing a young girl.  Make you wonder if they had shot El, what would they have done with the 'Civvies' in the pizza truck?

Someone as young as Erica shopping for guns and ammo.

Jerkface Jock and his friends all buying weapons.  Unlike our heroes whom we know are getting armed for monsters, Jason and his crew are getting mobbed up to kill other people. I hope this motherfucker goes down.

The meh:

I am still not liking Russia.  And now I am wondering what is the point?  Unless they pull out something big in the final episode, then Hopper's sojourn in Russia has nothing to do with anything this season.  May come into play next season since there are a bunch of Mindflayers hanging out and there is a gate there.  But this season that whole storyline just feels like a waste.  I'll wait til I watch the last ep, but right now I don't even get the sense that they got any intel that they can use to help the kids in any way defeat Vecna.  At this point they don't even know anything is happening, they think everything back home is fine and boring.

Overall:

I am very nervous about the next ep.  I am not getting the same feeling I got when I knew they were heading into the final confrontation in prior seasons. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Eleven telling off Brenner was so satisfying, as was him finally getting a much deserved bullet to the back. I think he did probably have some real paternal feelings towards Eleven and the other kids, but it doesn't make the horrible things he did to them any better. I thought the last scene between them in the desert was great, she didn't give him the absolution he wanted but she was still conflicted about seeing him actually die. He was a horrible parental figure, but he was the only one she had for almost her entire life, of course she would feel a lot of different emotions watching him die. 

I half expected her to kill him to put him out of his misery, just as Hopper killed the demogorgon.

8 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Let the record show Nancy did not include her dad in the list of dead family members Vecna gave her visions of.

I noticed that, too!

3 hours ago, Rankles said:

Did anyone else find it weird that Hopper managed to kill the tied up Demodog with one shot from a handgun? 🙂

Yeah, like twenty seconds after they showed another one getting shot multiple times, after pulling a spear out of its throat, and being unaffected.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 8:41 PM, nodorothyparker said:

This is kind of where I'm at too. The subtext is certainly there if that's where the show decides to go so I get why other people see it, but I'm not wholly sold that he's in love with Mike as much as he misses that closeness with his best friend they had as kids now that he's grappling with this huge thing that's still going mostly unsaid, Mike's earlier outburst about Will not liking girls aside. That scene could so easily be read as he's afraid Mike will reject him if he comes out. Mike's already repeatedly backburnered him for Eleven on multiple occasions, so Will already knows the friendship isn't Mike's top priority.

The subtext is unmissable, if they do go with the "Will is gay" storyline, but I still see it (more) as him still dealing with being stunted due to arrested development because of his dealing with the Demogorgon/Upside-Down & Vecna for a very large part of the 3 previous years, as well as bringing it all back by knowing what's going on as well as going back to Hawkins.  I think it was highlighted when Will & Mike were talking about what to do with the reward(?) money, and Will fell back on the old "We could play D&D all day".  I noticed the look on Mike's face when he said that was practically screaming "Not this childish crap again!".

And I see Will's emotional overflows as more about his feeling abandoned by his best friend, instead of feeling unable to share with Mike that he is in love with him.  Mike has extreme tunnel vision towards Eleven, and barely allows any time or effort to even acknowledge let alone just talk with Will.

Mike's fear of Eleven 'not needing him anymore' was a bit weird.  Other than letting her stay in the basement, hiding her from everyone but The Party, she's never needed him for anything.  Comes off a bit as feeling the need to be in control of their relationship, even if he doesn't mean it to.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I don’t want Steve to die.  I can see him sacrificing himself to help one of the kids, or Nancy. 
I was going to watch both episodes tonight, but hearing how long the second one is, I’m definitely not doing that now.  I’m too tired.   

• Love 3

I feel like either Steve or Eddie is going to sacrifice himself to save Dustin. Or Steve will try to and Eddie will intercept so Dustin won’t be without Steve. And any of those scenarios makes me sad. I truly didn’t expect to like Eddie as much as I do. 

the only way I see the adults getting back from the USSR in time is if the storylines aren’t concurrent. They started that way, but maybe the pace of things overseas is happening faster than it seems?

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Noah is really a gifted young actor.  The emotion of that speech was so raw and real, it made me tear up.  Loved, loved that big brother was aware of the subtext and showed such concern in his expression.  I don't care if he's in love with Mike or just misses his best friend, he's a boy who has gone through a lot and is having trouble processing his emotions.

It's annoying that with only one more episode everyone is still so spread apart.  Of course the CA gang + El are on their way (which will take at least 2 days in the van so whatever is happening in Hawkins will be over by the time they arrive), and the folks in Russia (which seems like a different show) are even further away.  I don't want any of the kids in IN to die.  I'm fond of all of them.

• Like 5
  • Love 9
(edited)

El reading Brenner for filth was long overdue. Yes, he is responsible for everything that’s happened, including Henry/Vecna. He knew what Henry was, and kept him for his own experiments, regardless of the threat he posed, and unleashed the Upside Down through his obsessive search for him. Not to mention what he did to El and the other kids with his sick experiments.

So yeah, I’m glad he’s dead. Let’s hope it sticks this time.

People are already throwing fits over Will not officially coming out this season, despite that whole speech, and accusing the Duffers of queer baiting with Mike/Will. I’d like to remind them that this is 1980s Indiana and Will coming out is a huge step that is obviously terrifying for him. And if Will/Mike probably isn’t going to happen because Mike is obviously invested in El. 

That being said, that speech and its subtext was great. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 8
  • Love 8
(edited)
20 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I did love Eddie popping out from the behind the trailer in the Michael Myers mask. This show never misses a trick in making those pop culture references.

They certainly did make that redhead with the hat in the weapons store a dead-on Molly Ringwald lookalike, until we saw her full-face on.  Poor Robin.  

I'm not convinced Steve is a goner.  Nor Nerdy Van Halen.  He & his hair are just too iconic and he provides a bit of hysteria we're not getting from anybody else, certainly not the girls.   Erica is doing a great low-key job.  Just enough of her, and the extra side of sass is gone. 

And I can't help thinking that no matter how much official show info has been released about Will and his sexuality, crush on Mike, etc, that entire speech he gave to Mike could have been illustrating how Will was in love with Eleven, not Mike, but she would never choose him.   The writing is that good.  

And if I was Nancy in the weapon store, I would have reversed that shotgun butt, jammed into Jason's gut and SCREAMED at him "Leave me alone you creep"!  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, janie jones said:

I half expected her to kill him to put him out of his misery, just as Hopper killed the demogorgon.

Yeah, like twenty seconds after they showed another one getting shot multiple times, after pulling a spear out of its throat, and being unaffected.

I am glad El didn't finish off Brenner, although for awhile I thought she might. Even though she has killed a bunch of people before, killing someone in cold blood who was near death and no longer a threat might be a bit much. I was a bit annoyed that she still called him Papa when she said goodbye.

As for the dog, it was way smaller than a full grown Demogorgon, so maybe not as tough. Plus they were in the middle of dissecting it so maybe it was weaker. Plus just because it went quiet doesn't necessarily mean dead. 

One thing I did find hilarious though was when the Hawkins crew was driving off to battle at the end Robin was wearing a red military beret, that I guess she picked up at the gun store. It was just a funny little detail.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

the only way I see the adults getting back from the USSR in time is if the storylines aren’t concurrent. They started that way, but maybe the pace of things overseas is happening faster than it seems?

I feel like the people in Russia and the people in the SW are going to serendipitously find faster ways to get to Hawkins, or everything in Hawkins is going to slow to a crawl so they can get there just in time.

4 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Anybody else watching the whole opening credits/intro part just to make it last longer?  *LOL*

I watch it to set the vibe.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Noah Schnapp just killed it this episode. And it really shows when he has scenes with Finn Wolfhard because while FW is decent as an actor, NS just seems so much more natural. I could see FW acting in the scene where he was talking about his feelings for El, but I couldn't with NS.

To me, it's unmistakable that Will was talking about his own feelings and the scene with Jonathan sealed it. But I am also fine with them being nuanced and trusting the audience to understand what is going on.

Glad that Dr. Owens was still allowing this to be El's choice but yeah, I agree with everyone that Brenner was a bad bet. But also, I agree that Matthew Modine is so skilled as an actor that I believed Brenner did care about El, even though I also think his form of caring was pretty twisted.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11

That scene with Will and Jonathan where Will was crying really got me. It broke my heart. Poor Will. I hope he finds happiness in Season 5.

Like everyone upthread said, good riddance of Brenner. I’m glad El wasn’t having it with his bullshit.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 7/1/2022 at 4:30 PM, Snow Fairy said:

Everyone thinks Steve will die. I don't get it why.

And here I am convinced they will kill Max, and I don't want that to happen 

It is a trope that a writer builds up sympathy for a character by having them talk about their dreams for the future only to rip the rug from underneath the audience by killing the character. For example, the "I'm just two days from retirement" cliche in cop movies.

The writers having Steve talk with Nancy, his once and future love interest, about how he envisions having a half-dozen kids and driving around on road trips is a red flag. So is Robin telling Steve that she doesn't think that they're going to make it out of this.

The Duffer Bros can be playing games, or they could be foreshadowing things. I guess we'll see in an episode.

Right now, I think that most likely all the actors who have been in previous seasons will likely be fine, but Eddie is a goner. They are going to have to show the stakes are raised by killing some people, and even George R.R. Martin might be like, "Whoa, you can't kill 15-year-olds left and right."

Course, that may just be wishful thinking.

On 7/1/2022 at 7:56 PM, festivus said:

People's mileage may vary, but the only understandable explanation for why Will was crying while he was talking to Mike about Eleven's feelings, is he was finally able to articulate his own feelings using his description of what Eleven was presumptively feeling. And it was a mixture of relief that he could finally say these things out loud, fear/concern about Mike finally understanding, sadness that in fact Mike would be and is utterly clueless about it. It's not just about Will being antsy about revealing that he's gay. It's that he's antsy about revealing that he's gay and has feelings for Mike. It seems weird to acknowledge that Will is probably gay, but to doubt that Will is in love with Mike. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

People's mileage may vary, but the only understandable explanation for why Will was crying while he was talking to Mike about Eleven's feelings, is he was finally able to articulate his own feelings using his description of what Eleven was presumptively feeling. And it was a mixture of relief that he could finally say these things out loud, fear/concern about Mike finally understanding, sadness that in fact Mike would be and is utterly clueless about it. It's not just about Will being antsy about revealing that he's gay. It's that he's antsy about revealing that he's gay and has feelings for Mike. It seems weird to acknowledge that Will is probably gay, but to doubt that Will is in love with Mike. 

This, plus the lying about how El commissioned the painting and told him exactly what to draw (his way of explaining away the heart on the shield, I assume). El said in her letter to Mike in the first episode of the season, "Will is painting a lot, but he won't show me what he's working on. Maybe it is for a girl. I think there is someone he likes." (The cast, for what it's worth, agrees that Will's feelings for Mike are not ambiguous.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
  • Love 10

I was glad when Benner finally kicked the bucket. I was cheering for when Eleven told him off finally. I just wish she didn't call him Papa and left him dying in the desert. I do hope he is finally dead.

I felt bad for Will. But I think he was talking about being gay when he was talking about being "different'. But not so much being into Mike. He knows Mike is very into Eleven. I liked the picture of the friends and the fact that it was the whole party makes me think he just misses his friends.

Count me in the group that is worried about Steve. When he had that cute conversation about his dreams. I hope they don't kill him, he's a fan favorite and need to be in season 5. 

Lastly, I agree next episode will be a lot of getting the characters to Honkins (sp). I'm not sure how they would make it in time. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The writers having Steve talk with Nancy, his once and future love interest, about how he envisions having a half-dozen kids and driving around on road trips is a red flag.

Not to mention that you had James Taylor’s “Fire And Rain” playing under that scene, for God‘s sake!

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Like 3
  • Love 3