1 - This scene cracks me up so much. So random and ridiculous.
11 - I totally get Emily's discomfort here. I would have felt the same way.
24 - Ugh. "Of this?" does make me laugh though.
Favorite Scenes Where a Character is Embarrassed
2. Lorelai finds out the way she was acting while drunk at Lane's reception wasn't a dream. "The posing, the strutting, the inappropriate gyrating?" "All caught on video and several of Zach's buddies' camera phones." (Super Cool Party People)
4. Luke sits with Miss Patty and Babette for dinner during the test run of the Dragonfly. They are both in their bathrobes. "He's shy. My bathrobe slipped earlier, and his poor little heart couldn't take it." "He's been staring at his salad ever since." (Raincoats & Recipes)
5. Luke checks out the damage from the fire at the Independence Inn. "So, what's going on with Luke here?" "I don't know. I've been keeping my distance because of what happened." "What happened?" "Well, he was lying on the floor pretty much like that, tinkering with stuff back there, and I got down and leaned in to see what he was doing, and after a while, I realized that the whole time, my hand was on his butt." "Sookie!" "It was an accident!" "It's getting very Cinemax at night in here." (Keg! Max!)
6. The Yalies are on Spring Break. Paris is starving. "I must be crazy for thinking a banana-eating contest was about eating a banana!" (Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin' the Twist)
7. Lane is obsessed with Rich Bloomingfeld's hair. "You touched whose hair?" "Rich. Bloomingfeld." "Why would you touch Rich Bloomingfeld's hair?" "Why? That's a good question. I don't know why. Why would a sane person do a thing like that? Maybe I'm not sane. Maybe I'm going through some sort of phase. Maybe I really, really needed someone to talk to about this and you weren't there." "Lane, come on." "No, you come on. You're always at school or you're talking about school or you're with Dean. You have everything now and I have nothing except for 2000 Korean bibles and a potential 'F' in jazz band." (Love & War & Snow)
9. Later, Rory hears about some psycho girl who won't stop chasing after Laundry Room Guy and assumes he's talking about her. "I wasn't talking about you." "What?" "There was this girl from the third floor, she asked me out like a hundred times. She followed me to class. She baked me a cake every day for a month, then she snuck in my window and hid in my closet, covered in whipped cream." "Oh, well, that is a little…extreme." "I didn't tell anybody about the laundry room." "Well, good. Um, do you think that you could maybe not tell anyone this story also, 'cause, that would be great. Thanks." (In the Clamor and the Clangor)
12. The townies find out Luke and Lorelai are dating when Lorelai accidentally goes downstairs to the diner wearing only Luke's shirt. "You walked into the diner like that?" "I didn't think the diner could open without you." "I had Caesar open." "Well, he did, with a floor show." (Written in the Stars)
13. Jess admits to Luke how he got a black eye. "I was attacked by a swan. Okay, you happy? A stupid swan." "Now, how ‘bout the real story?" "That is the real story. It hangs out by Larson’s Dock. I was just walking by and the thing came out of nowhere and bam – beaked me right in the eye." "It beaked you?" "You still don’t believe me." "I just never heard anyone use the word 'beaked' as a verb before." (Swan Song)
14. Rory drags Paris off stage - and C-SPAN - during Paris' "I didn't get into Harvard" meltdown. "I’m being punished. I had sex, so now I don’t get to go to Harvard." "Paris, come on." "She’s never had sex. She’ll probably go to Harvard. She’s a shoo-in. Pack your chastity belt, Gilmore – you’re going to Harvard!" (The Big One)
16. Lorelai stumbles while sneaking in late to a school meeting and knocks over a globe. "What in the world?!" (The Deer Hunters)
17. Mia comes to town and spills the beans that Luke wore the same Star Trek t-shirt every day for a year as a kid. "I was not a Trekkie." "Uh uh, I do believe that denying you were a Trekkie is a violation of the prime directive." "Indubitably, Captain." (The Ins and Outs of Inns)
18. Richard and Emily are having a noisy fight outside the house. Emily is in her sweater and pantyhose after her skirt got caught as she was climbing out the basement window. "Is there some sort of problem here, folks?" "No. There's no problem." "We got a call from some of your neighbors complaining about a disturbance." "We apologize. We're going inside right now." "Do not tell me what to do!" (Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller)
19. Gran takes Emily and Lorelai out to tea, where they argue over Rory's trust fund. "Raising your voice during high tea, who ever heard of such a thing. It’s like Fergie all over again." "Oh Gran, please, I’m so sorry. We’re done. Please don’t leave." "I can see now that offering that trust fund was a bad idea. After all, taking into account the maturity level of those involved, this large amount of money would probably not be safe." "No, Gran, that isn’t true. Rory is an incredibly mature kid." "Oh I’m sure she is. It’s you I’m worried about." (The Third Lorelai)
20. Lorelai spies Luke's track team picture in the trophy case at the school. "For the love of. . .what’s that doing there?" "What’s it doing? It’s yelling, ‘Mock me, mock me!’" "It shouldn’t be there." "Oh no, you’re right. It should have its own special display at the diner with a big old spotlight on it." "Don’t they need my permission for this? This should be illegal." "No, those shorts with that tank top should be illegal." (One's Got Class and the Other One Dyes)
21. Rory realizes Jess helped with Uncle Louie's wake and calls him out on it. "You did a good thing." "What do you mean?" "I thought my mom set this up. Turns out she didn’t." "So? Wasn’t me." "It wasn’t?" "Nah, no way. It wasn’t me." "If you say so." "Look, the crazy ballet teacher called and asked when Luke was getting back from the funeral, if I could unlock the door. I came down, I unlocked the door, then went back upstairs and back to sleep." "So you did do a little something." "I unlocked the door." "So that people could come in here and put this together. Nice." "Nice for them, not for me." (Dead Uncles & Vegetables)
23. Rory is going to help build a Rebuilding Together house with the hammer Lorelai decorated with feathers, rhinestones, and bows. "You dressed up a hammer?" "No, my mother did. She does that. She, um, she takes things that aren't pretty and makes them pretty, like a hammer, you know. One time she made individual outfits for my liquid paper bottles. A clown, a cowboy, a newscaster. She's not insane, she just sounds it." (Hammers & Veils)
25. Tristan lets it slip that him asking Paris out was Rory's idea. "I am not your charity case!" "No it’s not like that, I swear. I just thought you guys would make a good couple, that’s all." "We did make a good couple -- for one night! But obviously we’re more suited to just being friends, or at least that was what was conveyed so humiliatingly to me just five seconds ago." "Paris, I’m sorry - " "I hate you!" (The Third Lorelai)
26. Jackson desperately tries to shut Rune up when they come to pick Sookie and Lorelai up for their double date. "When she came to the door it never crossed my mind that that was who I had to spend the evening with. I thought it was her East German maid or something." "You’re being ridiculous, she’s not that tall!" "She’s tall enough!" "Would you keep it down, she’s gonna hear you!" "With those big ears I bet she can." (Double Date)
27. Rory and Paris get into it in front of Headmaster Charleston. "Well, that was delightful, wasn’t it? I’m not sure which is more embarrassing – having Charleston yell at us or knowing we actually had a 'shut up/no, you shut up' fight in front of him. So, what do you think, Paris? Do you feel as completely rotten as I do?" "No." (Lorelai Out of Water)