13 - Sometimes the things ASP finds funny are really baffling.
16 - Ah man. I really love this scene.
9 - I hate this for so many reasons.
Favorite Scenes in a Vehicle
1. Luke drives Lorelai to the hospital after Richard collapses during the Christmas party. "‘Grandpa’s in the hospital, please come.’ No details, no info. Who taught her to leave a message like that?" "I’m sure she was in a hurry." "A person needs details. Why is he in the hospital? How bad is it? What are the circumstances involving him being in the hospital? These are simple questions." "We’ll be there very soon and you’ll know everything." "What if he’s dead?" "He’s not dead." "How do you know?" "I know." "Oh, you’re psychic now? You’re suddenly getting visions while you’re driving 20 mph in the oldest truck known to man? [pause] I’m sorry, you’re killing yourself to get me there and I’m yelling at you. I don’t mean it." "I know." (Forgiveness & Stuff)
3. Lorelai drags Luke away from yelling at Mrs. Thompson and drives him back to the diner. "And over here we have the world famous Luke's diner, home of the best coffee on the east coast and the most delightful and chatty proprietor since Mel kissed Flo's grits. [Luke is quiet and makes no attempt to get out] Okay, well, I should get back to the inn. [Luke is still quiet] I hope you've enjoyed your tour and don't forget to buy yourself a souvenir plastic monkey on the way out." "Tomorrow's the anniversary of my dad's death." "Ugh. Oh, hon." "And every year on that anniversary I, uh, I disappear. I don't work. I don't talk to anyone. I get in this kind of a funk. It's like I'm -- " "You have a dark day." "Yeah, I have a dark day. I thought I should tell you this because we're in relationship and I thought you might wonder why I suddenly don't answer the phone or I'm not around. Why you can't flip your hair and con me into going to Miss Patty's crazy anniversary party." "The hair flip is that effective, huh?" "Combine that with your black dress and you could probably get me to be your backup dancer." "I'll remember that." (But Not as Cute as Pushkin)
7. Lorelai and Luke drive back from Rory's 21st birthday party. "Hey. You can pull link sausages out of me if you want." (Twenty-One is the Loneliest Number)
8. Dean spots Rory getting on the bus to school and gets in behind her. "So, uh, how long does it take you to get to school?" "Um...forty minutes if the bus driver's focused but longer if he's trying to win something on the radio. Hey, this bus is going to Hartford!" "Yeah, I know." "But you go to school here. You have to get off the bus! (calls to driver) Hey, he has to get off the bus!" "Wait. You're forgetting something....buses make stops. Good-bye, Lorelai Gilmore." (Cinnamon's Wake)
10. Lorelai borrows Luke's truck to move Rory into Yale. "Something's wrong with your truck." "Nothing's wrong with my truck. Stop the truck." "It won't go out of reverse." "You can't drive a stick." "I can't drive an uncooperative stick." "My stick's not uncooperative." (The Lorelais' First Day at Yale)
11. Rory misses her bus, takes the jeep to school, and gets hit by a deer while looking for her test notes. "How do you get hit by a deer?" "I was at a stop sign and he just hit me! Oh my g-d!" "Was it a 4-way stop?" "What does that matter?" "I don’t know. I don’t know what to ask after you’ve been hit by a deer." (The Deer Hunters)
15. Lorelai flags down Luke's truck and finds Liz driving. "Hey, Luke, hey Luke, hold on! Please, I know you owe us nothing but our dead frozen carcasses may someday haunt you in your old age, or not... because… you don't know who I am. Hi. Sorry. I thought you were Luke." "I knew I should've put on some lipstick." (Nag Hammadi)
17. Lorelai realizes she never told Rory that Jess has left town. "Do you think Luke will know we went to Souplantation?" "Not unless you tell him." "But maybe he'll be able to tell. There'll be a glow." "An all-you-can-eat glow." "He'll see the glow, he'll know we cheated, and he'll never give us extra fries again." [Luke sees them and runs inside] "Um, Mom, why did Luke just bolt away from us?" "Maybe he saw the glow." "Mom?" "Okay, first of all, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I just thought with all the stuff you were doing, maybe I should wait." "What's going on?" "Jess is gone." "Gone where?" "I don't know. Luke knows, but he didn't tell me. But he doesn't seem to think he's coming back." (Here Comes the Son)
18. Lorelai and Rory sit in the jeep discussing Rory's arrest while Kirk tries to tow them away. "Kirk just came by and gave us a two minute warning. Any idea what he’s talking about?" "Who ever has any idea what Kirk’s talking about?" (A House is Not a Home)
19. Luke secretly listens to his self-help tape while driving around in his truck. "Complete the following sentence -- I feel angry because..." "...I am listening to this tape." "I feel hopeful because..." "...This tape must end eventually." "I feel helpless because..." "...I wonder if anyone's ever kicked an audiotape's ass." (Luke Can See Her Face)
20. Rory borrows Logan's limo and driver to rush back to find out what happened between Lorelai and Luke, and then she and Lane go out to get wallowing supplies. "My compliments to your moxie!" "Oh, I've got moxie coming out of my ears today." [They hear a car honking] "They honking at us?" "They better not be. Frank, are they honking at us?" "I believe so." "Oh, I am in no mood for this. We are depressed! [She stands up, her head out the sunroof of the limo] We'll move when we move, so stop -- " [Luke is honking at them. He stops, shocked] "Oh. Sorry." "I'm not usually in a limo." (Say Something)
21. Rory sees Jess on the bus and walks to the back to sit with him, knowing something is off but not knowing he got kicked out of school and he's leaving town. "Hey." "Hey." "Can I sit?" "Uh, sure, sit. I thought you took an earlier bus." "My first class got canceled today." "Oh. So what's been going on?" "Nothing much. Fran died." "I heard." "I went to her funeral yesterday." "Luke went, too." "I saw him there." "Yeah?" "He was in the back." "I can't go to the prom. I couldn't get tickets." "Oh." "Sorry." "This is my stop." "Okay." "So, you'll call me?" "Yeah, I'll call you." (Say Goodnight, Gracie)
22. Lorelai and Luke make out in the limo after the magazine cover celebration. "We should’ve eaten something before we went." "Who knew we’d keep missing the trays?" "But I’m not hungry. But I’m something, what am I?" "You’re drunk." "Right. I haven’t been drunk in years." "Hey, have I thanked you enough for escorting me, and being such a good sport and shaking hands with all the big city folk you don’t like, and putting extra cherries in my Manhattan?" "Yeah. You did." "There’ll be more thanking. Later on tonight." (Blame Booze and Melville)
24. Lorelai and Rory go with Emily and Richard on a tour of Yale. [As they walk to the car, Emily notices Lorelai is carrying a coffee travel mug] "Where are you going with that?" "To the car." "You can’t have that in the car." "I know." "Well, then, what are you doing with it?" "Walking it." "Lorelai." "Mom, I know I can’t have it in the car. It will not be in the car." "Is that everything?" "Yes, I think so." "All right, then. Let’s get this show on the road." [Lorelai gets in the back seat and holds the mug out the window] "Now let’s see you drink it." [Lorelai sticks her head out the window and takes a sip] "Mm, good to the last drop." "You stay that way until it’s gone." "Aye, aye, captain." (Let the Games Begin)
26. Jess drives Rory's car while they go get ice cream in cones after studying. They chat about their life plans. "You could do more." "Oh, here come the pom poms." "No, no pom poms, just me saying you could do more." "So, Courtney, what about you?" "What about me?" "What are your big ambitions?" "Harvard." "And after Harvard?" "I’m gonna be a journalist." "Paula Zahn?" "Christiane Amanpour." "You’re gonna be an overseas correspondent?" "Yes, I am." "You’re gonna crawl around in trenches and stand on top of buildings and have bombs going off in the background and some wars raging all around you?" "What, you don’t think I can do it?" "No, I do. Just sounds a little too -- " "A little what?" "Just sounds a little too rough for you." "Well, it’s not a little too rough for me. I hope it’s not a little too rough for me, I’ve been talking about this forever. I mean, I don’t even know what I would do if -- " "Hey, I didn’t mean to freak you out. I’m sorry. I’m sure you’ll do it. You will, I promise. I’ll help you practice, okay? Tomorrow, you’ll stand in the middle of the street and I will drive straight at you screaming in a foreign language." "Well, you’re gonna have to learn a foreign language first." "Well, it’s lucky I’ve got me a tutor, isn’t it? Okay, so I guess we should be getting back. I did promise to study if you went on this ice cream run with me." "Yes, you did." "Okay, so I just go straight and we’ll be back at Luke’s." "Good sense of direction." "Of course, I could turn right and then we’d just be driving around in circles for awhile." " ...... Turn right." "As you wish." (Teach Me Tonight)
27. Emily has Lasik surgery and Lorelai has to drive her around. Emily has rented a very large, very dark windowed SUV to protect her eyesight. "Lorelai, be careful." "I'm not used to driving a missile silo down the street." (Driving Miss Gilmore)
28. Jason is hanging out with Lorelai in Stars Hollow for the day and realizes they can't go into Luke's. "Sooooo, that would be Luke." "Boy, you sure like to do a lot of research before getting a cup of coffee. That's the doorknob. It twists to the right. C'mon." "Ahhh -- " "What is with you?" "Yeah, I'm not in the mood for coffee anymore." "You were jonesing not five minutes ago." "No, it's passed. My 5 a.m. coffee just kicked in again." "You drink time-released coffee?" "It's all the rage." "Okay. Well, I want coffee." "Okay, I'll wait for you here." "What is with you?" "I-I was kind of tailgating Duke on the drive in." "You were tailgating Luke?" "Pretty rudely. There was honking." "Aw, geez." "Well, I didn't know it was Duke." "How fast was he going?" "Snail's speed. Like twenty." "The speed limit here is twelve!" "Okay, see, this is one of the problems I have with small towns - proximity. You tailgate a guy in Manhattan and you never see him again, you tailgate a guy in a small town, he is the keeper of the coffee. [He looks over at the diner window]. And he is looking at us!" "Who, Luke?" "Is that his name?" "Yes!" "Okay, don't look at him! Don't look at him!" "This is ridiculous!" (A Family Matter)
29. Lorelai finds Luke's Reggae Fever cd in his truck after they get back together. "‘Ja Glory’ by Toots Bambada. ‘Lively up Yourself’ by the Family Zigzag, ‘Let your Ya be Ya’ by Ranking Roy. What else am I going to find in here? Ganja and a yellow, green and red knit cap?" "I bought a cd. I didn’t adopt the entire Rastafarian culture." "This is so weird. I mean, to think that there was this whole chunk of time when we weren’t together. We were living totally separate lives. I was just working like crazy and you were running around, buying reggae cd’s." "One cd. One." "I just hate that we were apart." "Yeah, wasn’t too fond of it myself." "Well, all I can say is, you’re lucky I’m back in your life, because clearly you were lost without me. I mean, it’s a miracle you’re even still alive. Right?" "You bet." (Pulp Friction)
30. Emily and Richard get ready to leave Rory's Stars Hollow birthday party. "Emily?" "She's right. I don't know my daughter at all. [pause] We should go. Traffic." (Rory's Birthday Parties)