Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Day of the Wedding

• Start Topic

I was one of the few that enjoyed last week's episode.  This week's episode was just meh.  I'm over Kevin being a fuck boy looking for love.  I'm over Randall's cloying speeches and even tired of Sterling K Brown's portrayal of Randall and I never thought I'd feel that way.  

And I've had a terrible haircut before, but that haircut could've been easily made less soccer mom through styling, so there's that.

Phillip's character is too Hugh Grant in every role he's ever had.

Madison and Beth truly the scene stealers.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I also didn't understand why Madison and Beth had to wear matching dresses (they were NICE matching dresses but still) if they were sitting in third row and not walking down the aisle or standing at the front or other bridesmaid type things.

Years ago, when my best friend's niece got married, my BFF and I (independently and coincidentally) bought the same dress in two different colors.  We weren't in the wedding; her two sisters were the bridesmaids and it was a small wedding party.  Plus we was OLD, LOL!  But since we were dressed almost identically, she made us "unofficial hostesses".  Maybe that was the case for Beth and Madison . . .

Edited by jalady
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

My mom could be rather immature when I was a kid, but if she had gotten that over the top about a new haircut……I would have been very concerned. Who does that with your kids?  And Jack calling a family meeting to help soothe the damaged self image…..lol.  Too funny.  I also found her sensitivity over the ham comment odd.  Not that the Pearsons are rich, but it sounds like rich people’s problems to me.  I don’t know why it was even needed in the episode.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

It was at a distance, and we don't know what Annie and Tess look like at this age, so they didn't have to go to the trouble of casting look alike actors, like they usually do. 

Even at the reception, they could have had a table shot from a distance. It would have been obvious that a table with 3 young black ladies would have been Randal's daughters.They could have thrown in that Annie was the assistant little kid handler, which would have made sense, the youngest teen always gets stuck with that job. To totally skip this out was weird. 

I have said before I haven't enjoyed the timeline story line. If she would have had vascular dementia, the timeline is shorter, but just as devastating and they pretty much could have done it in real time , approx 3 years from diagnosis. But then that would not have been enough time for Randal to become a senator.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Even at the reception, they could have had a table shot from a distance. It would have been obvious that a table with 3 young black ladies would have been Randal's daughters. They could have thrown in that Annie was the assistant little kid handler, which would have made sense, the youngest teen always gets stuck with that job. To totally skip this out was weird. 

Yeah, I feel like the show realized it too late that Elijah really didn't have a reason to be at the wedding, or in the immediate family picture, so they had that one-off line from Kevin that he was the designated little kid babysitter.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I don't think Kevin winds up with the wedding singer. We already have one of the Big Three end up in a marriage the viewers have no investment in after 6 seasons. I don't think they'll do this twice.

This is why I think he gets back with Sophie...  who else is anyone invested in other than her or Madison?

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Yeah, I feel like the show realized it too late that Elijah really didn't have a reason to be at the wedding, or in the immediate family picture, so they had that one-off line from Kevin that he was the designated little kid babysitter.

Why wouldn't he be there? He's the bride's best friend's husband. It would be more strange if he was NOT there. I agree that maybe he shouldn't have been in the photo though. 

That said, I've missed episodes, so I don't know why Sophie was there.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I feel like the show realized it too late that Elijah really didn't have a reason to be at the wedding,

Why wouldn't he, though? His wife is the bride's friend and mother to her niece and nephew. Why would anyone expect her to be there with her kids but not her husband? I don't see why he needs any other justification for his presence.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 23
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Why wouldn't he, though? His wife is the bride's friend and mother to her niece and nephew. Why would anyone expect her to be there with her kids but not her husband? I don't see why he needs any other justification for his presence.

Plus this is a huge ass wedding with a lot of people there, not some small wedding with only immediate family and close friends only. And in that case as well, Elijah would be there with Madison who is Kate's best friend. Her loving husband would be expected to be her plus 1.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Still don’t give a crap about Kate and Philip, but I will concede I liked Kate’s Princess Bride dress.

I would love a spin-off of Madison and Beth drinking at weddings and investigating hookups.

Poor Miguel. Everything with him and Rebecca broke my heart.

FYI I thought her short haircut was cute. It’s not like we’ve never seen Mandy with a pixie cut before. Those kids, seriously…

15 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

Those kids are obnoxious spoiled brats.  Always have been, always will be.

I thought Rebecca looked gorgeous with her short hair but of course, her children always have to suck the joy out of her life because they are the worst. I have gotten bad hair cuts and hers was pretty good.

I am not enjoying the little kid Big 3...I particularly do not like the new Kate. 

I like college-age Big 3 better.

The wedding singer was good at being terrible and that was perfect. I liked her.

Hey Randall, maybe think one minute about what Miguel's going through...of course not, it's all about the Pearsons all of the time.

• Love 15

I wasn't really bothered that we didn't see Deja, Tess or Annie. To me, it was just the logistics of a TV show versus real life. They were referenced as being there, so they were. It helps that I really liked the whole "Randall's security team" bit, especially his "She's fast," about Annie. It was just such a lighthearted, fun family moment before the drama started (and it says something that a joke about a daughter taking a bullet for her senator father managed to actually play as fun/lighthearted).

I was so happy to see Miguel walk Kate down the aisle. I wish we could have seen Kate asking him, because I feel like we really need something that cements him as FAMILY. I mean, yeah, he's been around, he's taking care of Rebecca, and Kevin let him be Pilgrim Rick once, but the Big 3 were just so antagonistic toward him after Jack that I need more than that.

I will say, all season I've been waiting for an episode where Rebecca confuses Miguel for Jack, and that being hard on everyone, especially Miguel, but I do like that it was Kevin, and Nicky's acknowledgment that it might be weird or hard for him.  Of course, I was also waiting for Rebecca to confuse Nicky for Jack and Kevin for Kyle, so I'm kind of all over the place on the predictions. Having said that, I suspect Wedding Singer is just a red herring who will be Kevin's guide to his final relationship destination. Probably with Sophie, even though I would prefer Cassidy if Madison has to be out of the picture. Beth and Madison were fun, though.

Lastly, I buy Kate/Phillip -- I even kind of like them -- but Phillip is doing ALL the heavy lifting to sell that relationship.

• Love 12

Given that Sophie is married, if it’s her for Kevin, the show will have some work to do to show Kevin’s growth from “person who makes romantic decisions that cause chaos.” Sophie ditching her husband for Kevin would certainly be chaotic for her and her husband.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, LeisureTime said:

I suspect Wedding Singer is just a red herring

IIRC, all the 'evidence' they had on her was that she asked to speak to Kevin at some point during the reception, right? (Please refresh my memory if they had some other significant interaction) If, as we've speculated, Kevin is indeed paying for the wedding, it wouldn't be 'suspicious' that a vendor needs to talk to him.

19 minutes ago, LeisureTime said:

Lastly, I buy Kate/Phillip -- I even kind of like them -- but Phillip is doing ALL the heavy lifting to sell that relationship.

I fully agree with this. I kinda liked them as a couple but it was all on Phillip seeming to 'get' the Pearsons and indicating by his behavior and joking that they have a playful relationship that we just haven't really seen much of.

• Love 6

It sounds like next week’s episode is going to be like “To Tell The Truth” with 3 contestants vying for Kevin’s heart.  I hope they don’t make a mockery of the situation.

If he ends up with Cassidy then they are throwing a lot of curve balls since that was not her bra on the chair.

• Love 5

Nicky has ended up being a calming and supporting presence in the family.

As happy as I am for Nicky, it’s super sad how he missed so much in his life. 

Although missing his nephews and niece being unrepentant brats over their mom’s haircut? Miss me with that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

IIRC, all the 'evidence' they had on her was that she asked to speak to Kevin at some point during the reception, right?

She pulled him aside and said “About last night…” so they must have had some interaction the night before.

• Useful 3
5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

She pulled him aside and said “About last night…” so they must have had some interaction the night before.

She said something like, "I don't normally..."  I think she made a pass and he turned her down because he had some kind of connection with Sofie earlier that evening.  She was embarrassed because he turned her down.  That's my prediction, anyway. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
Just now, dcubed said:

She said something like, "I don't normally..."  I think she made a pass and he turned her down because he had some kind of connection with Sofie earlier that evening.  She was embarrassed because he turned her down.  That's my prediction, anyway. 

Or it could be “I don’t normally have one-night stands and I feel weird about ours” or something.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Given that Sophie is married, if it’s her for Kevin, the show will have some work to do to show Kevin’s growth from “person who makes romantic decisions that cause chaos.” Sophie ditching her husband for Kevin would certainly be chaotic for her and her husband.

And the irony would be that K&S’s first marriage fell apart because he cheated and their second marriage came about because she cheated.

They are doomed.

I was surprised Miguel walked Kate down the aisle and not her two brothers.

• Love 5

I am holding out hope that the women’s clothing belongs to Kevin because he is preparing to play the lead in a remake of Tootsie, or something, and all this “who was in the room” bullshit that nobody cares about can just go away.

14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Didn’t Kevin already have a stand alone episode? Do we really need another one? There are only 5 episodes left and I want to see everyone.

If there is another character-centric episode, I vote for Miguel.

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Haleth said:

And the irony would be that K&S’s first marriage fell apart because he cheated and their second marriage came about because she cheated.

They are doomed.

Which begs the question: WHO walked her down the aisle the first time?

17 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

With so few episodes left to explore the fates of our main characters, I am so glad that we spent a whole damn episode on Randall's bio mom selling vegetables.

And swimming naked (with her son) in a gator-filled swamp.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I don't think Kevin winds up with the wedding singer. We already have one of the Big Three end up in a marriage the viewers have no investment in after 6 seasons. I don't think they'll do this twice.

But how much investment do we have in either of the other candidates?  Sophie hasn't been seen much in several years and she was married when last seen.  Who cares if Kevin remarries his ex wife when it will either be a case of Sophie cheating on her husband or hooking up with Kevin on the rebound?  I personally also find it a little bit creepy that perhaps they are getting together 30 years later mainly because Kevin loved Sophie's mom and seemingly feels that she wants them together.  

Cassidy is probably the best known of the options when it comes to the audience and she's also the one that Kevin has had an ongoing friendship with in recent times.  However, they're both in recovery and seemingly entered the friendzone several years before the wedding.

I don't feel terribly invested in any of the options and I don't think I'm the only one.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I think the writers needed an explanation for why Kevin was able to go galavanting without his kids (when Madison wouldn't be able to watch over them either), and Elijah was the most obvious candidate to be on babysitting duty.

23 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

With so few episodes left to explore the fates of our main characters, I am so glad that we spent a whole damn episode on Randall's bio mom selling vegetables.

On the plus side, Randall boasting to Rebecca that Laurel was "a force of NATURE!" - presumably based on her vegetable-selling abilities - had to be the funniest line in season five.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I think the writers needed an explanation for why Kevin was able to go galavanting without his kids (when Madison wouldn't be able to watch over them either), and Elijah was the most obvious candidate to be on babysitting duty.

On the plus side, Randall boasting to Rebecca that Laurel was "a force of NATURE!" - presumably based on her vegetable-selling abilities - had to be the funniest line in season five.

It would also be weird if Madison, Kate's good friend, was invited to her wedding but couldn't bring her husband as her plus one.  And it would also be odd not to have Kevin's kids attend since all the other Pearson grandkids were there.

I don't have a big problem with Elijah attending the wedding, but I don't think he needed to be in the family pictures.  Standing on the sidelines distracting the kids, fine.  In the pictures themselves, not so much.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Aw. The clip just reminds me of how much I liked Kate and Toby before everything went sideways. Also, since before we got the flashforward at the bar with Jack D., I had wondered if the reason we hadn't seen Kate at the death cabin yet was because Chrissy Metz was losing weight and they've been padding her up some over the last couple years. The bar scene kind kiboshed some big Kate weight loss reveal, but I still think there might be some padding going on. Maybe it's just hair and makeup but her face/neck area look different now.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

Here is a link to the winery/resort were the episode was filmed.  Although Kate referenced a winery in Santa Ynez at the engagement party, this is in Paso Robles, about 100 miles north:

https://www.allegrettovineyardresort.com/

I loved Miguel doing the merlot joke from the movie Sideways!!

Wow! I was planning an event there for a client in 2020 but it was canceled due to Covid. I was REALLY hoping to go (pre-Covid) and still hope to someday. Pretty amazing they got a TIU shoot there. I just don't understand WHY the wedding would be held even in Santa Ynez (I didn't recall her saying that, so thanks for the clarification). 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Do not even get me started on that ridiculous line.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Because Kevin's sister was getting married. Elijah was the "most distant" from the bride or groom.  Makes sense to me. Plus, he already had to care for his child.

9 minutes ago, Dminches said:

Because Kevin's sister was getting married. Elijah was the "most distant" from the bride or groom.  Makes sense to me. Plus, he already had to care for his child.

Sure. My point is that the writers included dialogue about Elijah babysitting because otherwise we'd wonder who was with Franny and Nicky.

• Love 2

8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

First with his terrible idea to correct Rebecca in the middle of a happy event, and inform her that her husband has been gone for years. Kevin straight-up told him that what he did isn’t what doctors advise.

I haven't been bugged by Randall like a lot of other people here, but boy did he piss me off in this ep. Completely tone-deaf to correct Rebecca about Kevin being Jack. I understand Randall hasn't been around to see this latest development, but common sense tells you not to do that. Be kind.

5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

This. My mother was the sweetest person but she was verbally abusive to her caregivers- swearing at them, insulting them, and even threatening to hit them.  

This was my mom, too. Before Alzheimers, she was sweet and nice and gentle. Afterwards... when I learned that she had actually hit my father, I was shocked. 

I remember visiting one time and trying to gently help her out in the kitchen. She was very put-out and snapped at me. When I was alone, I cried. Later she came to me and apologized, crying. This was in the early years. During another visit, I saw how she thought her husband (my dad) was her father, and she was waiting for her husband to come home. And then she was holding her purse, waiting to leave. So I had to drive her around the neighborhood pretending to be taking her home.

It's a shitty disease.

7 hours ago, nilyank said:

I thought the song was crappy. I didn't like the actual song though Mandy sang it fine. It was maudlin and uninteresting to hear. Plus I cannot imagine Rebecca singing that song over the years especially when the Big 3 were little kids. Kate said this was a song that her mom song all the time

I recognized the song as being the closing theme of the episodes, so I guess that was nice? I dunno. I too found it maudlin and uninteresting. In fact, I don't even know what the lyrics were because I found myself tuning it out. I was more involved in watching everyone's reactions, which of course got me tearing up as well.

6 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I also didn't understand why Madison and Beth had to wear matching dresses (they were NICE matching dresses but still) if they were sitting in third row and not walking down the aisle or standing at the front or other bridesmaid type things.

I didn't even think about this. I always thought these were very pretty and unique bridesmaids dresses, so what happened?

Re Kevin and who he slept with... I'm of the opinion that he didn't sleep with anyone. Each of the three women came into his room for some other reason. However, I really don't care.

I could barely watch any of the Kate/Phillip lovey dovey scenes. It never rings true.

I think the show should have gotten three actresses to play the Randall/Beth girls. They didn't even need to have any lines. Just show them in the background. 

Rebecca's meltdown about her hairstyle was ok -- Many of us have been there done that -- but the fact that the kids' reactions bothered her was ridiculous. I did like Randall saying, "I think you just look like a really pretty boy, Mommy."

Loved the scene with Miguel talking to Rebecca about getting her hair done for the wedding. He knows how to talk to her. It was sweet and believable.

The card game was fun. Nice scene.

I was not a fan of Beth and Madison playing detective. The humor seemed forced to me. I could imagine the writers saying, "Oh the audience is going to eat this up. It's so funny." Well, I know some people here did enjoy it, so I'll just take my place at the little not-amused table.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 17

I'm not quite convinced that Madison should be completely ruled out of the Kevin sweepstakes. First, I'm not sure that Kevin slept with anyone the night before the wedding, but that exchange between Beth and Madison about Madison's make-up bag being in Kevin's bathroom had me 🤔 . Why does Kevin "sometimes borrow her foundation?" They don't live in the same house. Something isn't right there, and I don't think it's a throwaway line.

As to the show not wanting to have to hire new actors for Randall's girls, I think they'd have been able to use Faithe Herman, who we haven't seen in forever. The actress is 14 now, which would fit the timeline. Here's a recent photo of Faithe.

Screenshot_20220420-172128_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I remember my mom getting a perm once, and we definitely hurt her feelings when we somehow decided our opinions were necessary and wanted.  I had forgotten about that, but it was the only time in my entire life that her short hair was different.  She didn’t react like Rebecca did, but that scene rang true for me.

I have always loved Miguel and consider him the unsung hero of this show.  Any ending that fails to give him his due will be hated by me.

I think Kevin’s walk with his mom when she thought he was Jack and referenced Sophie told us all we need to know about his ending.  I don’t like it, but I think we’re stuck with it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

They are doomed.

As a Sophie fan, rooting for those two crazy kids at my lonely table for one, I’m guessing they won’t go down the cheating road because the audience wouldn’t like it. We saw them in this episode taking a stroll together and looking pensive:  was Sophie perhaps telling Kevin that her marriage is troubled and/or essentially over so that she’s free to fulfil my dream of their getting back together?

I also was surprised to see Miguel walking Kate down the aisle, as much as I was pleased the poor guy got the honour. Leaving aside the etiquette of giving away a mature second-time bride as if she is new [TM Miss Manners], Miguel was never a father figure to Kate, either in having taken that role when she was a child (since her own father was alive until her late teens) or in anything we’ve seen since.  I think they missed the chance - in keeping with earlier themes - to have Rebecca walk her down the aisle, perhaps accompanied by Miguel.

Oh, and by the way, shut up, Randall. 

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I'm not quite convinced that Madison should be completely ruled out of the Kevin sweepstakes. First, I'm not sure that Kevin slept with anyone the night before the wedding, but that exchange between Beth and Madison about Madison's make-up bag being in Kevin's bathroom had me 🤔 . Why does Kevin "sometimes borrow her foundation?" They don't live in the same house. Something isn't right there, and I don't think it's a throwaway line.

Good point, and I had forgotten about that line.  Plus, when did he get her makeup from her - wouldn't she have been using it too?

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Oh, that's a good point. Even when they lived together when Madison was pregnant with the twins, did they ever share a bathroom?

In the episode before 'Katoby' (the last one before the five-year time jump) when Madison/Kevin had the scene on the front lawn about her being Kevin's emergency contact I assumed that would come into play somewhere down the line. Maybe it still could. But they focused on it so much that I assumed it would mean something later.

• Love 5

The haircut bothered me, not because it looked bad, or that Rebecca regretted it , but her kids' reaction was  so nasty.      The are probably too  young to be expected to do anything but react honestly.   But the mean spirited mocking,  the Captain Hook thing, was too much for me.  

But the haircut did not look bad. At least this was before the Kate Gosselin, chicken butt  hairdo era.  lol.   

But i think we've all been there, regretting a haircut , perm, or color.   It takes a minute to get used to it.  The kids were bratty though.    

And last week weren't they praised for locking the babysitter in the bathroom?   They were protecting Kate!   lol     I guess it's not so surprising they are  insufferable adults.  

• Love 16
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if they will go with the story that Rebecca progresses with dementia with just some momentary memory lapses until her death.  It just bothers me because that’s how the public often views dementia.  However, it’s often much more than memory lapses. They had Rebecca confuse Kevin for Jack.  But, that was about it.  For actual people who have dementia, there is often outrageous and uncooperative behavior, resistance to care, delusions, constant repeating, poor balance, sleep disorders, depression, loss of mobility, incontinence, etc.  After the early stage, caring for a person with dementia is quite an undertaking.  I hope Miguel gets some help. He seemed unusually stressed at the wedding.  My cousin was in Memory Care for six years before her death.  

My sister is going through that now, and, it is not as tidy as Rebecca's journey. In just 6 short months, she went from confusion, but, interaction and speech, to mournful grunts and groans, and vacant stares. We call it hell on earth. So, when I watch this, I wish that my sister had this form of Alzheimer's. It is not pretty, folks. Of course, I realize, all cases are different.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I am holding out hope that the women’s clothing belongs to Kevin because he is preparing to play the lead in a remake of Tootsie, or something, and all this “who was in the room” bullshit that nobody cares about can just go away.

If there is another character-centric episode, I vote for Miguel.

His is week after next

• Love 6

I see all this talk about having to re-cast the 3 girls because of their ages but it’s only been 4? Years . The makeup and hair team could make Rebecca 50 years older than her young self , I’m sure they can age the 3 girls to look 4 years older . Maybe not Annie , but certainly the other 2. De ja looks older than her age anyway and hair and makeup go a long way .

• Love 12

I don't think Kevin slept with anyone.  I do think this episode set Kevin & Sophie up for a reunion in a couple years, told through a series of flash-forwards.  Hopefully Sophie's ex-to-be is spared the same fate as Phillip's.

Not the ending I want - I'd prefer any of the other 3 (Mads, Cassidy, wedding singer) - but I think it's where we're headed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
14 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I don't think Kevin slept with anyone.  I do think this episode set Kevin & Sophie up for a reunion in a couple years, told through a series of flash-forwards.  Hopefully Sophie's ex-to-be is spared the same fate as Phillip's.

Not the ending I want - I'd prefer any of the other 3 (Mads, Cassidy, wedding singer) - but I think it's where we're headed.

I’ve become team Madison because she’s the only one who’s been on the show with any sort of consistency and the only one that makes sense . I think when she and Kevin were engaged , their conversation was always so forced and because they were thrown into the situation of becoming parents , they weren’t able to date and get to know each other beyond formalities before trying to make it work . Now , They throw little comments in to show how comfortable they’ve become with each other and that they built a real relationship . They’re able to crack jokes , use each other’s cover up , and there’s an ease between them that wasn’t there originally . She does seem happily married so we’ll see but maybe Elijah will be killed off which will bring her and Kevin back together ? 

I was team Sophie for a while but , eh . 

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm not quite convinced that Madison should be completely ruled out of the Kevin sweepstakes

Interesting…she could have gone along with Beth’s shenanigans to take the focus off of her. But she DOES seem happily married with a new baby…

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 4