Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Day of the Wedding

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jersey409 said:

Yessss. Oh good, I am not the only one annoyed by this!

Yeah Madison's hair was as depressing as the wedding in general. So maybe, fitting. I was like "wow! A perfect stub! No split ends at all and SO THICK!" I thought she doesn't look unhealthy at all with that hair. Usually I'd expect someone with an eating disorder to have worse looking hair but I guess she's recovered. 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 1

I think Jack was the ring bearer and Hailey was the flower girl before they showed Kate being walked down the aisle outside there at the vineyard by Miguel, before Kate and Phillip stood together with the officiant who started reading out Phillip's vows accidentally and the two lovebirds exchanged their weird depressing vows.  I really don't think the word "hate" should be said in any way during wedding vows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It was such a small thing, but I really noticed Milo trying to be Kevin instead of Jack in the scene with Mandy. He changed himself just enough to immitate his vocal patterns and posture. Seriously impressive. 

• Love 9
On 4/27/2022 at 3:32 PM, mostlylurking said:

Rebecca’s Princess Di hair wasn’t bad, it just needed a bit of styling.

No it wasn’t. Mandy Moore has a delicate face, she can pull off the short hair well- it just needed some product. 

On 4/30/2022 at 4:58 PM, sara416 said:

It was such a small thing, but I really noticed Milo trying to be Kevin instead of Jack in the scene with Mandy. He changed himself just enough to immitate his vocal patterns and posture. Seriously impressive. 

I noticed this too. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:
On 4/30/2022 at 4:58 PM, sara416 said:

Expand  

I noticed this too. 

Yes, I noticed that and it’s these small details that will make me miss this show so much. Most other shows wouldn’t bother. They go that extra mile. 

• Love 1

I didnt mind the Beth/Madison "who did Kevin sleep with?" plot, it added a bit of lightness to the very serious main plot of Rebecca's decline. To echo many things @SunnyBeBe has said regarding her experiences as a caregiver to her cousin with dementia- the show is not going to give us the "real" because its just not pretty enough for tv.

I too have been a caregiver to an individual with dementia, and I know I come from a unique space having been a caregiver in some capacity sense I was pre-pubescent (between my family members with physical disabilities, mental disabilities and dementia I have a lot of experience in this area compared to many people my age), but I do wonder how the writers came to the writing decisions in regards to Randall reaction to Rebecca's decline.

I am not taking the away the emotion or the effort associated with caring for a loved one in that condition, but what was Randall EXPECTING when he said to Beth "Mom is getting worse and Miguel is getting old."- well no shit Randall that is LIFE. You are in your 40s, you are LUCKY to have had your Mom so long. I have lost so many people I loved lately (I have lost every caregiver I have had besides my Mom) and of course it hurts to lose them, but given the age my parents were when they had me, I cannot be perplexed like Randall seems to be. Like Beth said "you dance." Thank you Beth for your words of wisdom.

I think the writing was just poor with regards to that. Even when I have hated Randall's decisions (like blackmailing his Mom into the experimental trial- OOOOO), the writing made sense. 

On 4/29/2022 at 3:17 PM, Kdawg82 said:

Yeah Madison's hair was as depressing as the wedding in general. So maybe, fitting. I was like "wow! A perfect stub! No split ends at all and SO THICK!" I thought she doesn't look unhealthy at all with that hair. Usually I'd expect someone with an eating disorder to have worse looking hair but I guess she's recovered. 

I thought Madison's hair was okay, not "omg her hair looks so cute" but a sleeked back pony is fine with a formal dress. Yes Madison is in recovery for bulimia (she may struggle the rest of her life), but based on the writing her worst point was when she was 17, she is now in her late 30s and made it through her pregnancy with the twins without relapsing so I wouldn't expect her to have physical symptoms any more, its been about 20yrs.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, Kdawg82 said:

And I don't care so much Randall's kids needing an explanation for not being shown at the wedding. FWIW they could've panned around the room in the style of the "downtime" of the wedding and shown Randall and Beth sitting at a table with some kids that are somewhat aged up from the back of the head shot to look like the 3 daughters and they're engaged in background convo while some other main characters are chatting OR a general pan-around shot. 

I DO care that Kate's kids were NOT at the wedding at all. I don't recall any allusion to them but I was half paying attention. That was a major noticeable absence for me. Kids are an afterthought so many times in these shows where it's all about the whole life cycle and having and raising kids. Flashback to all the wonferful ways the "big three" were raised and how their parents made their childhood spectacular.  Then, ignoring entire descendants of said family tree. Very weird. I don't need to be up in the kid drama which they've been heavy handed with too in Randall's family but then to have them absent at major events is WEIRD.  Like after Jack was born to Kate & Toby, some of you mentioned "where is that child anyway?" for x amount of episodes. 

I agree with you- they could've had Randall's girls in the background getting dessert (being shot from the back and no lines) or something just to reference them, but Kate's children should been there at least for one shot with photos. Or have Jack and Hailey playing/dancing with Frankie and Nick at the reception. I know there are logistics with working with kids, especially with Covid, but that is an oversight. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

but what was Randall EXPECTING when he said to Beth "Mom is getting worse and Miguel is getting old."-

I think Randall meant, "(At the same time that) Mom is getting worse, Miguel is getting old (as in, newly at risk of no longer being able to care for her)."  The family's Plan A is running out of time.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Pallas said:

I think Randall meant, "(At the same time that) Mom is getting worse, Miguel is getting old (as in, newly at risk of no longer being able to care for her)."  The family's Plan A is running out of time.

Yup yup- I understand that, but again, what was Randall expecting? I just think they wrote that badly. Of course Miguel is getting old, he’s Rebecca’s peer aged husband (he’s actually a few years older which can be a lot at the end of life, just like the beginning of life).

Again- I admit I am in a particular place, given my somewhat unusual life circumstances (I had skills at 14 many similarly situated people don’t have at 44), but that would be akin to be being befuddled that my Mom is getting old and I have had to step up as a caregiver to my sister until a new weekend one is hired, well of course I do. I’m not amazed or having an emotional reaction to this fact (even though caregiver interviews can be a PITA).

Randall is very practical and intelligent so I just think that this was poorly written for him as a character. Or is it that he’s so emotionally close to Rebecca he just hasn’t wanted to accept it? Or perhaps we will see better writing in the next few episodes in handling the changes to Rebecca’s care needs. 

I can fully fully admit that I come from a weird place and can compartmentalize a lot because I have had to- and for me, caregiving for adults (either temp or permanently) has been the status quo my entire life (outside of a few years I was at college) so it’s not something I have had to adjust to. 

I do think a lot of these writers amp up reactions to these situations because of course it’s tv, and humans just “dealing” because it’s a part of living in a family isn’t as interesting for the viewer. 

Again I love Beth, who told it like it was. “You dance.”

• Love 2
On 4/21/2022 at 7:50 AM, smartymarty said:

They said they didn't like to lie to her (mom taught them well).

If you are uncomfortable with telling less than truth, having a relative with dementia can be hard. You have to consciously tell yourself that agreeing with the person's statements doesn't mean you are deceiving them; you are working with them in what is a safe space for them. My uncle always knew who I was, but always asked after people who were dead. I had to tell him that they were busy or out of town or would dropping by later in the week to see him. 

• Love 2
On 4/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, Violetgoblin6 said:

Yes! I went a wedding in 06, Catholic Philadelphia wedding, and the wedding was late morning, the reception around 7. Everybody drank in between. Dinner was held up and it was a mess. Guests puking over the balcony. 

I don't think this is necessarily related to a particular religion, although with clergy you have to work around their schedules to a certain extent. I think that the issue is with the reception venue, and possibly the bride's expectations. If you get married in the morning, you shouldn't plan for an evening reception. That is common sense, but if you are determined to have a particular location, you may have to take what you can get (or change your plan). In my personal experience, we were married in the morning (small civil ceremony) so the reception was a brunch affair on location with a little party elsewhere later in the day, which left the guests free to do what they wanted afterwards.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:03 PM, MoonMountain said:

This is a dumb thing to take away from the episode, but every time they showed Madison, I kept thinking, "that's how she did her hair for a wedding?" A middle part, low ponytail? Lol. No hate on the ponytail itself, but maybe at least add some volume to the top and hike it up a bit higher? It just looked like she didn't finish getting ready.

Yes, I kept thinking the same thing. I think they were keeping up this narrative of Madison being too busy looking after the kids to do her hair. Like you said she could have added some volume or hiked it higher and, at the very least, wrapped some hair around the black elastic band so that we didn't see it.