Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Welcome to the Future

• Start Topic

Designers must use "Marie Claire" magazines from 20 years ago as their inspiration to create looks they think will be relevant 20 years in the future.

Pinning this topic for a little bit to get it to the top of the forum page

• Love 1

I'm really hoping tonight that the judges will let us see a TINY glimpse of who they used to be, as opposed to these over-the-top characters they've become. Seriously, a modicum of constructive criticism and support, please judges!

• Love 5

I don't know -- I for one appreciated Sandhya's design.  It was different and strong, and nothing else looked like it on the runway.  She seems like a very talented designer with fresh ideas, which I love after season after season of mostly recycled ideas.  The challenge was for Marie Claire so it makes sense she had an editorial design.

I'm glad Angela is gone and I think Angela is glad, too; she was just super uncomfortable the whole time.  That final kiss-kiss thing with Tim at the end was awkward.

Loved Heidi's gold and crystal necklace on the runway tonight -- does anyone know where I can find one like it?  I'm coveting it.

Also, have the designers shown their collections at Fashion Week yet, and if so, where can I find those pics online?  (Not sure where to put this question.)  I'm out of touch with when Fashion Week occurs.

• Love 9

I hope someone tells Nina that she cannot carry off that white dress with the green jacket and she should not try.

I liked the hooded thing, but it looked like an 80s version of the future in a movie with Grace Jones.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 10

"Watch the boobage" all.

Angela was the right choice to go.  If this was the worst criticism she's gotten, she's been sheltered.  And then I laughed when she wiped away a tear. Tim was right when he said this was not the right environment for her.

I didn't understand Sean's.  It looked like bad retro.  Poor Alexander, it reminded me of a burlap look from several seasons ago.  I thought Christina or Emily should have won, even though I could see the appeal of Sandiyha's. I actually liked Samantha's the best.  Hernan's look has been done on this show before, not new.

One thing I wish would have come out during the judging: Sandiyha had said something about recycling when talking about her dress to Tim.  I understood what she meant - in less affluent cultures, everything is reused and repurposed and it sounded like she wanted to incorporate that into her dress with the safety pins.  I remember an Amazing Race challenge which involved recycling parts from computers and what she said reminded me of that.

Overall I thought there were a lot of good designs.  Oh yeah, Fade's was cool and so different from everyone else's.

• Love 2

I can't even with this show anymore. Sad burlap sack can stay but Angela goes? Sandhya wins AGAIN for an inexplicable design. Angela's skirt is too short but Kristina's - which is the same length - is perfectly short. If the judges are going to be insane, can they at least be consistent in their insanity?

Mitchell should have been in the top, and he, Kristina or Emily should have won. ETA: and I want Fade's outfit now. Thanks for the reminder lamb18

Edited by culturevulture73
  • Love 4

I'll give Sandhya this, at least she did something new. Fugly, but new. Most of the rest just plain out designed something we've seen a thousand times before, but in drab and dark colors and called it futuristic. Apparently color won't exist in the future. I do think she's going to get a lot of mean girl backlash next week. 

Angela's wasn't as bad as the burlap sack, but she was a walking nervous breakdown and needed to go. It was just painful to watch her anymore. 

I like the green jacket outfit, but what the hell was the designer wearing? I would have discounted her design just for her outfit alone. 

• Love 7

Also, have the designers shown their collections at Fashion Week yet, and if so, where can I find those pics online?  (Not sure where to put this question.)  I'm out of touch with when Fashion Week occurs.

The designers will show their collections the first week of September.

I wish that Tim would stop opining during the judges' deliberation. If Heidi is going to insist that he's not a judge, he shouldn't be talking about how Angela's design should be euthanized.

I think Sandhya was given the win, in part, to anger the other designers. I liked Emily's design the best, but would have supported a Kristine win, too.  

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 7

Most of the rest just plain out designed something we've seen a thousand times before, but in drab and dark colors and called it futuristic. Apparently color won't exist in the future.

Color never exists in the future, unless you're on Star Trek (and it's not Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and whoever designed the outfits for that show should be out).

• Love 2

Christ on a cracker, Angela started crying in her talking head BEFORE the show even began!  Good riddance.

I adored Sandhya's dress. That metallic trim just amazed me.  And as the judges LOVE their editorial looks, it was also for me the only thing that really stood out.  

I also love Fade's outfit. Totally my style, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

• Love 6

I am glad Angela went. I got anxious just watching her. I liked that Tim said that it wasn't the right environment for Angela. I thought in the Road to the Runway episode that I liked some of her stuff, but she seems like she needs a less stressful work environment, no time constraints, and just do her vision not some sort of challenge. She reminded me of first season Star(r?).

I like that Sandhya's won. I like that it was something different to look at. I like that she used color too, because apparently judging by so many of the other looks the future is going to be dark and depressing. I also like that her winning mind fucks some of the other designers.

I could see why they let Angela go over Alexander and his sack dress, especially when he said that it wasn't the design he intended.

There were a lot of designs that I liked in this challenge, which was nice to see, because lately it has only been a couple of outfits each week that I actually like.

• Love 9

I liked Kristine and Emily's looks but I had a feeling Sandhya would win. I thought her dress was fugly but it did look futuristic. I'm glad they finally put Angela out of her misery. Poor girl seemed so unhappy and nervous the whole time she was there.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 2

I just have to say this. I was watching this when my 8 yr. old daughter comes out and watches the judges doing their thing and she says, "Mom, they are saying such mean things. And he looks like he's going to cry." She also decided the blue dress with the hat made the model look like a spy.

I also want a challenge where the designers are forbidden to use black or white or gray.

Edited by MrsClaus
  • Love 15

I'm sorry, Sandhya's designs are not fashion forward, chic, nor sexy. She made a sheath with and oxygen mask hose and the judges went crazy. Angela's was not the worst. Yes, the sewing was bad and it was short, but her design of future office wear was clear. Keep all the whiney babies and bitches PR. Keeping it classy.

• Love 22

I don't know -- I for one appreciated Sandhya's design. It was different and strong, and nothing else looked like it on the runway. She seems like a very talented designer with fresh ideas, which I love after season after season of mostly recycled ideas. The challenge was for Marie Claire so it makes sense she had an editorial design.

I'm glad Angela is gone and I think Angela is glad, too; she was just super uncomfortable the whole time. That final kiss-kiss thing with Tim at the end was awkward.

Loved Heidi's gold and crystal necklace on the runway tonight -- does anyone know where I can find one like it? I'm coveting it.

Also, have the designers shown their collections at Fashion Week yet, and if so, where can I find those pics online? (Not sure where to put this question.) I'm out of touch with when Fashion Week occurs.

What I didn't get was the praise for the color of Sandhya's dress and the disdain for Angela's - weren't they the same color? I get color suits outfits differently and it was a horrible color choice for a power suit...

• Love 6

Best moment of the show was when everybody was tearing into the Mary Poppins outfit and Zac weirdly lashed out at the Marie Claire editor saying "haven't I seen you at shows wearing this outfit"?  Me-OW.  Where did that come from?

If the judges are gonna insist on being nasty, hey, I'd rather see them turn it on each other than constantly on the contestants. 

Meanwhile, Nina did her usual thing of sitting there silent and glaring, looking like she swallowed the world's bitterist lemon when everybody else was saying goodbye to the aufed contestant.  Is she contractually forbidden now to ever say even one, tiny slightly positive thing, even to help soothe things for five seconds for dismissed contestants?

When did this show become Project Bad Trip?  Even Tim seems more irritable these days.  Years ago I never would have thought that Heidi would be the only persona on the show I could still stand-- she's like our Obi Wan Kenobi of not-being-a-total-miserable-downer: "Help us Heidi Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope."

• Love 17

I fourth the love for Fade's outfit. I'd totally wear it. I was surprised to find I liked many of the designs tonight. Fade, Emily, Kristina. Hell, even Mitchell's wasn't terrible.

I genuinely like Sandhya's point of view, it's just that I cannot get behind her designs. Designing for the future woman doesn't necessarily equate "futuristic" to me. I thought her look was costumey.

• Love 1

What I didn't get was the praise for the color of Sandhya's dress and the disdain for Angela's - weren't they the same color? I get color suits outfits differently and it was a horrible color choice for a power suit...

Sandhya's pink color was a little deeper and richer than Angela's pale pink. I liked Angela's idea and think it might have worked in a deep blue or green with the white lapel. It also needed to fit the model. The top was two sizes too big. 

Sack dress was my choice to go. When I first saw the dress come out on the runway, I thought it was made of astroturf. 

• Love 3

I thought Sandyha's design was interesting, if not particularly attractive, but I was glad she won, just to see the expression on Kortina's face when she heard the news. After all this time, I don't understand why non-winning designers do talking heads expressing their bafflement and outrage at the judges' decision. Yes, yes, we get that you are annoyed. You don't understand what the judges are seeing in another designer's work that is more impressive than your work. Maybe you should consider looking and listening more carefully, instead of eye-rolling and lamenting how clueless and inscrutable the judges are.

• Love 8

Once again a dress I thought was awful won. i love 'out there' dresses when it something like the wonderful creations by Christian Serriano. Sandyha's dress looked to me like a sheath dress decorated with two vacuum hoses. It looked like a costume. I did love Fade's outfit, as well as Emily's and Christine's. The burlap dress and the dreary outfit with the floppy hat were just terrible, either of them should have gone before Angela's. 

I liked Sandyha at first, but now she annoys me with her constant "I want to do this, then I want to do that". I can get having confidence in yourself, but she has no intention to ever listening to Tim; and yes she is getting rewarded for it now, but it might come back to bite her in the future. Oddball creations won't be appropriate for every challenge. 

• Love 14

One of the judges (who?) observed tonight that S's heritage is serving her well, and it definitely did tonight. She's so comfortable with shiny, colorful, and bright, and I love that about her, because these shows can become dreary Manhattan rainbows of black and grey. I really liked some of the other designers' clothes tonight, but only as "ordinary" fashion. Good fashion, some of them, but maybe not special. And I think it's a bad sign for them that not one of them seems able to see what the judges see in her--and it's not, imo, just about controversy. Hers was the only one that hinted (to me) of a quick and unusual imagination at work. I really would love to see her runway show. It might be a splendid riot of fantastic color and strange, new ideas. I do wonder, though, what it might be like to have every contestant also have her heritage! Then maybe I'd find black a refreshing color, lol.

I thought all the top and bottom picks were right-on tonight and that the right person won and the right one went home.

• Love 16

Alright... I give up.. PR is just Trolling us now, right??? Right???? What the hell????

That dress would have gotten her auf'd in any of the earlier seasons... with no question!! They called it unflattering, not the most revolutionary dress etc. and Heidi gave it a low score... and the other two top outfits were flipping amazing!!! WTF!!!

• Love 16

Sandhya's pink color was a little deeper and richer than Angela's pale pink. I liked Angela's idea and think it might have worked in a deep blue or green with the white lapel. It also needed to fit the model. The top was two sizes too big. 

Sack dress was my choice to go. When I first saw the dress come out on the runway, I thought it was made of astroturf. 

Yes, Sandhya's dress seemed a richer pink; Angela's pink struck me as very "twee" and precious.  

I also liked that Sandhya's win messed with Korina's head!  Not a fan of Korina, and I noticed she was one of the only ones who didn't applaud Sandhya's win (they panned to Korina on the couch with two others, and everyone was clapping but her).  I just don't like poor sportsmanship!  Sure, it's a competition, but that doesn't mean you go around acting like you're going to cut someone every second.

• Love 11

Once again a dress I thought was awful won. i love 'out there' dresses when it something like the wonderful creations by Christian Serriano. Sandyha's dress looked to me like a sheath dress decorated with two vacuum hoses. It looked like a costume. I did love Fade's outfit, as well as Emily's and Christine's. The burlap dress and the dreary outfit with the floppy hat were just terrible, either of them should have gone before Angela's. 

I liked Sandyha at first, but now she annoys me with her constant "I want to do this, then I want to do that". I can get having confidence in yourself, but she has no intention to ever listening to Tim; and yes she is getting rewarded for it now, but it might come back to bite her in the future. Oddball creations won't be appropriate for every challenge. 

But in the middle of her two wins, Sandhya got a pretty hard smackdown for her unconventional material design, so I don't think her determination to express her own design aesthetic is based entirely on an assumption the judges will love everything she does. I think she's genuinely confident in her POV and her talent and, in a room containing a lot of insecure and petty competitors, I find that refreshing.

• Love 9

I actually though Sandhya's sketch and concept was interesting, but as others have said it looked like a vacuum hose or some sort of not all the way cut Christmas garland. It looked cheap to me and it was 'out there' but it was still boring. It had no shape on the model.

Ugh... clearly... I really didn't like it. There were a lot of looks I really liked this week... but of course most of those designers were just safe.

I do agree with who they sent home... so I guess that's something.

• Love 7

I'll admit it: I just didn't get Sandhya's design. And I didn't understand the judges praise for it. Yes, they said it was different and "editorial," but they also said that it wasn't very flattering on the body (and I agree)... isn't that usually a criticism of outfits they put on the bottom? For me the dress was a simple sac-type dress with metallic adornments, and the adornments were kind of just hanging there in spots and only attached in a few places so that they bulged away from the dress sometimes when the model moved (especially in the back.)

I also didn't get how Angela didn't understand that she was lucky that she was safe - I remember her outfit being terrible. There were a lot of outfits, so I may be mixing some of them up, but was her's the one with the bright yellow? If it wasn't, for me, I'm wondering how was that one not in the bottom? I'm just so confused. I'll have to watch the rerun tonight and see if I missed something.

Designing for the future woman doesn't necessarily equate "futuristic" to me. I thought her look was costumey.

Agreed @beaker73. That would have been my criticism.

@culturevulture73: Mitchell should have been in the top, and he, Kristina or Emily should have won.

My second admission: So far I'm an unapologetic Mitchell fan. He's sort of a bitch, but I like it. I liked his jumpsuit. For me, it looked like the coolest female navy seal uniform from the future ever (like if future Charlie's Angels went on a seal mission). He took Tim's criticism, didn't fall apart, incorporated it, and changed his garment to make it better. And from what I saw, it fit like a glove. Was it over the top? - yup, but for me so was Sandhya's - and hers didn't really fit her model all that well in my opinion.

If the judging continues in this manner, I think it's going to be a long season for me...

It's not going to happen, but I would just LOVE it if the judges in their "blind judging" saw something weird and put it in the top thinking that it was Sandhya's only to have it be another designer's outfit, and then wonder what the heck they'd done. I'd laugh my butt off.

@Ketzel: Maybe you should consider looking and listening more carefully, instead of eye-rolling and lamenting how clueless and inscrutable the judges are.

Except that they can't look and listen more carefully. Unless they are actually on the runway - as the top or the bottom - they have no idea what the judges are saying, what they are praising, or what they were looking for. The only thing the designer's in the middle in the waiting room know is who won. They have no idea why the design won, and they get no feedback on what the judges found middle-of-the-road in their design. So I completely understand their frustration. I feel frustrated, and I'm only watching, and I can hear at least some of what the judges are saying. I can imagine it's even more frustrating being a designer and not even being able to hear it.

And I was so glad that Heidi didn't jump on the bandwagon and instead admitted that she did not like Sandhya's outfit - for me she's a voice of reason here.

@Ketzel: ...in a room containing a lot of insecure and petty competitors,

I can understand the insecurity. If you think you are designing something great, but are getting absolutely no feedback or praise - like for example many of the designs last week - I can see how someone would become insecure. It's easy to be secure in your designs when everything you have designed yourself - Sandhya could blame last week on her teammates - gets praised. In my opinion, as of yet she's gotten no criticism that matters or is of consequence, only praise.

• Love 7

What the heck??  After all the praise for Emily's and Kristina's designs, and Heidi not really "getting" Sandhya's dress... Sandyha won??  Thanks, editors, that made no sense.

While I may not like Sandhya's designs, she does seem to have a clear point of view.  Perhaps the team last week would have done better to follow her lead instead of Hernan's.  But I doubt Hernan would have let that happen. 

• Love 3

While I was happy to see some color, I loathed Sandhya's look and couldn't stop saying what the fuck to my tv. I think the girl in 2nd place should have won (sorry, I forget her name), the one with the green jacket & white sheeth underneath. While it wasn't to my taste I thought it had a nice clean look & loved the jacket.

I don't know if it's the editing, but when they were critiquing the designers Sandhya was grinning when the other designers received less than a rave review & then lost the smile when other designers were being complemented for their looks. The camera would occasionally cut to her during these critiques & I found it very annoying. Although, again, it could just be the editing (which I don't trust at all). I liked her at first, but then last week when she went to Tim to say how she was being picked on I kind of did a doubletake. I'm sure it felt like she was being picked on, but I think it was more that the other 2 designers had more at stake and wanted to get their view across. I'm on the fence about her now.

I also liked Emily's look. Her model had a great walk, especially when taking off the jacket. On the whole these designs were much nicer than I expected. I'm looking forward to what quite a few of these designers come up with next.

I hope Sandhya doesn't turn into another Patricia, a contestant who stayed long after her due date. While I think Sandyha has an interesting and clear point of view I'm not really seeing it come out in her designs.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 7

I also like that her winning mind fucks some of the other designers.

Seriously.  It's fun to watch the two top/bottom 3 with her.  People are SO SURE Sandhya's at the bottom and then she starts getting praise.  People had done the math and thought they were on the top and you can see their "oh shit" looks as they start sweating.  That's good television.

• Love 6

And whoever said that Kini looked like a troll doll - thanks! It's all I can see now. :)

LOL, you are most welcome.  :)

If Heidi is going to insist that he's not a judge, he shouldn't be talking about how Angela's design should be euthanized.

I agree.   It was a mean comment.    And felt two-faced.   On the one hand, he's the designers' mentor, their guide.  Then, behind their backs, he cuts the legs out from under them.

I don't know if the judges-only comment session started just this season (I haven't watched since Season 10) but I find it very distasteful.    Critique is one thing; ridicule is quite another.   Zac Posen's bit with the hat was cruel, not funny.   They come off like a clique of grade-school bullies. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8

One of the judges (who?) observed tonight that S's heritage is serving her well, and it definitely did tonight. She's so comfortable with shiny, colorful, and bright, and I love that about her, because these shows can become dreary Manhattan rainbows of black and grey. I really liked some of the other designers' clothes tonight, but only as "ordinary" fashion. Good fashion, some of them, but maybe not special. And I think it's a bad sign for them that not one of them seems able to see what the judges see in her--and it's not, imo, just about controversy. Hers was the only one that hinted (to me) of a quick and unusual imagination at work. I really would love to see her runway show. It might be a splendid riot of fantastic color and strange, new ideas. I do wonder, though, what it might be like to have every contestant also have her heritage! Then maybe I'd find black a refreshing color, lol.

I thought all the top and bottom picks were right-on tonight and that the right person won and the right one went home.

Zac brought up Sandhya's heritage working well for her in the competition. I agree with him and with you.

She's someone who won't be afraid to use colors and go outside the box. I appreciate that she has a distinct p.o.v. even if I don't always like her outfits. I wouldn't mind seeing a runway show from her.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 9
I think Sandhya was given the win, in part, to anger the other designers.

Agree again.   I was hoping Sandhya would win, just so I could see that look on Korina's face again.   And I was not disappointed on either score, lol.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

Zac brought up Sandhya's heritage working well for her in the competition. I agree with him and with you.

She's someone who won't be afraid to use colors and go outside the box. I appreciate that she has a distinct p.o.v. even if I don't always like her outfits. I wouldn't mind seeing a runway show from her.

I appreciate her willingness to use color, work with metallics, and be unconventional, but so far she isn't designing. Her silhouettes have been beyond basic sheaths. She's been widely overpraised. The only designing she did was stopping the loops above the waist in the back.

• Love 10

I found this challenge's parameters conveyed rather disjointedly.  First, it was "make something for 2034".  Then it was "make something for 2034 referencing 2004".  Then it was "make it an editorial design."  Which was it?  All three?  I hope the designers had a clearer handle on what was expected than what was conveyed on the show.

I straight up don't like Sandhya's dress; the underlying pink sheath was simple and, while technically proficient, the "air coil" business was distracting and pointless.  In twenty years' time, I'm not going to have any MORE time for dry cleaning (as I have about none now), so I'd never buy it for any occasion.  Unless I'm living in the world of Dune, where I have to turn my urine into water while hunting for Spice, it would be a cast off.  Fade's was my winning design.  Cool enough for any more planet heating and quite stylish.  The pants could be swapped out for a solid, and the top was interesting, stylish, and flowy.  Loved it.

• Love 9

I loved that they called out Amanda saying that not one of the judges liked her outfit ("It perfectly represented me!")? Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad just a rehash of what we've seen before and certainly not as bad as the bottom three.

The worst to me was Sean's. It was puckered in all the wrong places, the hem was uneven, the slit up the back was, apparently, pornographic, the fabric was wrinkled and the design was uninspired...OMG the hat, the hat was ridiculous but useful in drawing your eye away from his 7th grade Home Ec assignment. I thought they were way to easy on him (judges favorite I guess).

A very close second was Angela's suit. Ha, I remember Marsha Clark (from the O. J. Simpson prosecution) wearing a one lapel suit. It certainly wasn't new or inventive. Angela must have worked in the very back, back, back room on Wall Street. No one that weak and emotional could survive on Wall Street for seven years.

I think Char needs to step it up. There wasn't anything about her design that was modern yet alone futuristic but at least she isn't afraid of some color. Mitchell was back to his bitchy self in the talking heads and I was very disappointed. And please, can we all agree that jump suits are not comfortable and easy to wear unless you have a catheter inserted to pee? Honestly you have to strip down naked to go to the bathroom. How is that easy and comfortable?

Sandhya's dress was ok IMO but I hated the way the two hoses were tacked down on the front and when the model walked they bunched up.

I just don't get Tim this season. Yes the blanket dress was awful but not as bad as Sean's outfit.

I remember when the PR drama was always about the fit (or lack thereof) of a any and all pants. Kini nailed the fit of his pants but you can buy that outfit today at Macy's. I do believe most of these designers have better tailoring skills than the designers did back in the day.

All in all a very weak episode.

• Love 2
Angela's wasn't as bad as the burlap sack, but she was a walking nervous breakdown and needed to go. It was just painful to watch her anymore.

You've summed up exactly how I feel, but I wonder whether that's fair.  Shouldn't the worst design go home?

I'm over jumpsuits, if I ever liked them, so Emily's look did nothing for me.  Fade's outfit made me smile, and Mitchell's was fun, too, despite it also being a jumpsuit.  I liked Christina's coat, although the top and skirt didn't excite me nearly as much as it did Nina.

I noticed that Heidi told Amanda that she was lucky to have immunity because they didn't like her look at all.  I agreed with Heidi on that.  I also didn't care for Hernan's look.  He tried being creative with his dress converting to a longer one, but it came off really messy to me, including the teeny strappy top.

• Love 1

I appreciate her willingness to use color, work with metallics, and be unconventional, but so far she isn't designing. Her silhouettes have been beyond basic sheaths. She's been widely overpraised. The only designing she did was stopping the loops above the waist in the back.

Definitely. I want to see her do some real design. For me, she has the p.o.v. and I think she has the skills. I want her to really WOW me in the coming weeks.

I'm rooting for Emily and Char. Fade is strange, but it's a good strange. He has a distinct p.o.v. too. His glasses trip me out though.

• Love 2

One more thing Alexander--women have breasts and complaining that his model has bigger boobs then the other designers really ticks me off. Your original design and construction sucked and that is what created the uniboob. I know he is young but leave the misogyny at the door, okay? Otherwise design clothes for young boys. Since this is the third time he's worked with this model he should have her measurements and be familiar with her chest.

• Love 8

I liked Kristine, Emily, & Samantha's outfits, HATED Sandhya, Angela, & Sean's.  I can not understand how Sandhya's dress won. It was crap, it was Barbarella-like with that metal stuff on it, she might as well have made a silver jumpsuit. 

When they showed Hernan taping the dress to the model, I thought he would be disqualified because I seem to remember that they aren't allowed to use tape. Does anyone else remember that, or am I just hallucinating again?

I watched about 15 minutes of Amanda de Cadenet's show, & it really sucked. What is she doing as a judge?

• Love 2

So the judges are just having some fun with us now, right? Because Sandhya's dress looked just like what my daughter used to come up with when she draped sparkly Christmas garland over her shoulders and waltzed around the house pretending to be a movie star. I never thought I'd see the day that I agreed with Heidi about fashion, but that dress was humorous, and nothing more. Can't wait to hear from Tom and Lorenzo...

• Love 12

I wish that Tim would stop opining during the judges' deliberation. If Heidi is going to insist that he's not a judge, he shouldn't be talking about how Angela's design should be euthanized.

"This dress should be euthanized." Gee, what a great constructive remark from a mentor and an educator. It looks like Tim's inner bitch has come out of the closet.

I wasn't crazy about Sandhya's dress, but it was the only one that I could envision as a 'futuristic' design. All of the others, good or not, didn't look much more future than next spring's collection. I honestly expected more 'out there' kind of stuff.

• Love 8

I would have gotten behind Sandhya's if the hose-looking things didn't seem so oddly flexible and loose.  It's not that they curved, but that they didn't seem to be sewn to the dress everywhere so they'd sort of buckle off of it as the model walked.  To me, that didn't seem industrial, mostly because it makes me think they'll fall or be pulled off and I think of industrial as demonstrating more endurance, less fragility.  I also don't understand how hoses related to her concept of feminine power.  

Mitchell's look reminded me of what Orange Josh made in the finale a few seasons back.  I didn't like that the lines didn't match up exactly.

I'm over the warrior woman concept that repeats in the designs they feature.  I'm tired of the phrase, I'm tired of it being executed via leather accents.  There has to be something else...and re-watching the runway show it looks like there was, they just didn't get as much attention from the judges, or the editors.

My favorite look was Samantha's, with the backpack, because it was coming from a different perspective.  Maybe the future will be old school feminine in the sense of light and airy.  Hers spoke to that a little bit, though I wish she maybe had used color.

There seem to be a lot of interesting designers this season.  I hope they shift focus to them relatively quickly.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 5

I think we're being punked.  The pronounced increase in nastiness from the judges, Tim making derogatory comments about the designs to the judges (or at least we're now being shown that he does so), Nina's constant, unrelenting bitch-face - I think the judges and Tim are bored out of their minds with Project Runway and are trying to amuse themselves by picking wacky winning designs.  I haven't understood the rationale for any of the three so far.    

I'll admit it: I just didn't get Sandhya's design. And I didn't understand the judges praise for it. Yes, they said it was different and "editorial," but they also said that it wasn't very flattering on the body (and I agree)... isn't that usually a criticism of outfits they put on the bottom? For me the dress was a simple sac-type dress with metallic adornments, and the adornments were kind of just hanging there in spots and only attached in a few places so that they bulged away from the dress sometimes when the model moved (especially in the back.)

In the past, any design that was deemed unflattering to the body would not have won over other designs, as far as I remember, and though I'm not a rabid fan, I have seen every season.  I agree with your description of the dress - simple sac dress, adornments attached so that they bulged (oddly) away from the dress.  I thought the metalic tubes looked like refrigerator door handles.  The judges asked how someone wearing it would sit down, and Sandhya pointed out that she didn't put the embellishments on the model's bum, however, they did run down her back, so she apparently can't lean against the back in a car, or a chair but must sit primly on the edge of any seat she uses.  

I also didn't hear in the initial instructions that the garment had to be editorial.  Did I miss something?   

The one thing I liked about this episode was that they put Angela out of our misery;  she was so fragile it was painful to watch her break down week after week.  

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 14

I am SOOOOO tired of Amanda's THs. "I have an advantage because I know where everything is at Mood". "In 1994 I was jamming with my brother, laying down some sweet tunes". If those are your strengths, Amanda, please go on Guy's Grocery Games and American Idol - just stay away from PR.

• Love 22

The one thing I liked about this episode was that they put Angela out of our misery;  she was so fragile it was painful to watch her break down week after week.  

I thought Angela was extremely gracious when she was auffed; she said to Heidi, "You're beautiful," without the slightest hint of artifice.

I doubt I could find it in myself to be so nice to someone who had just torn me down.   Maybe Angela was just that grateful that it was finally over.

• Love 5

I kind of like Sandhya's design, but I should qualify that by saying I'm kind of like "oooooo shiny!" so I'm not sure I'm the best judge in that area.

I, too, liked Fade's, Mitchell's and Christine (sp.), but for Christine, it was the neoprene jacket. The white leather was nothing we haven't seen before. I also liked blue hair/Foxy Brown's Ewok hoodie. I love the size of the hoodie, the way it converts, but mostly that she called it Ewok, ffs!

HATED Sean's! OMG, every part of it was awful.... EVERY PART. The hat was even worse than the dress, if that's possible, but at least Zac looked hilarious when he tried it on. I'm cool with Sean staying cause he brings the pretty and there's the accent, so yeah.

Also, re: Zac: I'm not sure Zac is actually gay; I think he may be a flaming closet heterosexual because he really really enjoys touching the models. Maybe he's just feeling the fabric, I don't know.

I keep getting this feeling that for whatever reason, TPTB are trying to make us hate Project Runway, or maybe even make this the last season. I have secretly long suspected Tim had a HUGE inner bitch, and he has no problems letting it all the way out now. Nina is singularly unpleasant (not to mention, if you're in fashion and you're in a position of judging others, update your hairstyle every 30 years or so, Nina), and then they keep having jooges (TM Mel B) that make no sense, and oh yeah, there are as many judges on the runway now as there are designers. I don't mind Zac as much as some do; he's 30 years younger than MK so he hasn't had quite as much time to perfect his snark.

Season 13 may well be the last, and with Lifetime and the current production team in place, I'm not sure that would bother me.

ETA: Ye gods, did Amanda actually say "jamming with my brother, laying down some sweet tunes"???? She should have gone home immediately just for that.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 8