Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Welcome to the Future

• Start Topic

I think somewhere in the infinitely recursive symbolism of Sandhya's dress there's a basic conflict between empowered woman making do with recycled materials to transform the things which were not valued in the past into the fashion of the future and unwearable gauds designed specifically to be seen in an aspirational magazine by women who couldn't afford to wear it if it were wearable.

JMO.

Thats an interesting take on it.  I hadn't considered that at all.

I think what she meant by that, but didn't manage to convey properly, is that her sandals clack and clump on the floor when she runs because they are loose on her feet since they are so narrow.  The sound of people wearing flip flops going down the stairs drives me crazy, which is why I noticed the sound has nothing to do with a person's lightness of step, but with the fact that the flip flops don't completely adhere to a person's foot, so they clop and clap as the person walks.  That's what I think she meant.

I understood that she meant her sandals were flopping and making all the noise. It was just funny that the way they edited it, it sounded like she was getting really defensive about someone saying she had big/heavy feet. That whole exchange probably shouldn't have made it into the episode, but I guess they were going for the "Angela annoys everybody in the work room" angle. Editing for drama... PR wouldn't do that, would they??

• Love 1

My sister's loving the modeling. She actually wants to audition for America's Next Top Model and/or Project Runway when she's old enough. Would you believe she's done bridal shows since she was 14 and she's now getting "too old" for it at 17?  That creeped me out!  I had no idea most of those "brides" in magazines and fashion shows were SO young. I'd be so excited to see her on either of these shows one day and I think she's got a decent shot at them once she turns 18.

That trend of using pre-teens and early teens as fashion models became the norm some time back, like around Beveraly Johnson/Janice Dickenson era. There was a huge article about it and many models were outraged in the sense that these girls were barely old enough to work let alone take away jobs from adults. 

True - I like that maybe 80% are wearable with some modifications (for example the mini-mini-mini skirt could be made longer and look ok in another color).  I'm not sure that winning dress was salvageable anywhere but the runway personally, but maybe it wasn't intended to be a "real world" outfit. I was kind of confused by this whole challenge honestly.

My sister's loving the modeling. She actually wants to audition for America's Next Top Model and/or Project Runway when she's old enough. Would you believe she's done bridal shows since she was 14 and she's now getting "too old" for it at 17?  That creeped me out!  I had no idea most of those "brides" in magazines and fashion shows were SO young. I'd be so excited to see her on either of these shows one day and I think she's got a decent shot at them once she turns 18.

It's my memory that the models on Project Runway are all experienced runway models, so I don't think there's any kind of traditional reality show "auditioning" going on. They're probably called in from agencies I'd assume, in something very similar to go-sees, and the show producers scoop up the ones who interest them.

It's my memory that the models on Project Runway are all experienced runway models, so I don't think there's any kind of traditional reality show "auditioning" going on. They're probably called in from agencies I'd assume, in something very similar to go-sees, and the show producers scoop up the ones who interest them.

Ah interesting, thank you. I'm sure she's looked into this more than I have. She's working with an agency and several designers have her as a preferred model.  She's done numerous runway shows locally as well as San Francisco, and got called for one in LA but couldn't go due to school... so hopefully she's on the right general path.

That trend of using pre-teens and early teens as fashion models became the norm some time back, like around Beveraly Johnson/Janice Dickenson era. There was a huge article about it and many models were outraged in the sense that these girls were barely old enough to work let alone take away jobs from adults. 

Wow, interesting. I haven't ever followed the 'history' of modeling much so I'm learning a lot. She rarely gets paid much for the jobs she does at this point. I wonder if that's part of why they use such young models... they're just excited to be doing it at all so they'll 'work' for free or practically free.

• Love 1

I get that the judges' wanted editorial--hell I love seeing interesting, creative, editorial designs on this show, but it was a Pepto Bismal sheath with some gold leather and embellishments sewn on.  I saw zero design in that outfit. Zero. 

I saw a Logan's Run reject.

There had better not be one word next week about something looking costume-y after they let Sandhya win for this. All it was missing was a space helmet and a little gamma ray gun.

• Love 6

*le sigh* - allright, I'm gonna say something and its probably going to make a lot of people make angry comments directed my way.  But its kinda getting to me.

I think Angela's "appearance" here was just another manipulation on her part to get people to "be on her side" and to try to get us to feel bad and stop talking shit about her and her designs.  I think its all in line with the whole "tyranny of the weak" angle.  And I've noticed the "oh well, there is nothing I could do because everyone was being so unfair to me, but thats totally fine" angle that just seems to be an attempt to manipulate.

I applaud her for trying to control her public image, and I don't want to be too harsh, because I would love for this to be a place where other "auf'd" designers reach out and interact with us. 

• Love 9

I hear you - but I wonder about what the transition must be like to come from corporate finance to design, and then to come from being an engineer, where all the deliverables are measurable, to being a contestant on Project Runway, where experienced kremlinologists like the folks here can't figure out what the producers' agenda is (but we're all sure there is one). 

Proving you deserve your spot is a very different animal from convincing people you deserve your spot. And as much as Tim's failed attempt to be warmly supportive Uncle Tim annoyed me (especially after seeing his behavior during judging), I'm not sure myself that someone who expects consistent standards is in the right place when the judges are behaving as bizarrely as they are this year.

But then, I was a huge fan of Unicorn Boy's portfolio last year. I just couldn't understand what they were thinking giving someone who weaves his fabrics on a shuttle loom a spot on a show that rewards flashy outfits which take eight hours to make.

• Love 1

*le sigh* - allright, I'm gonna say something and its probably going to make a lot of people make angry comments directed my way. But its kinda getting to me.

I think Angela's "appearance" here was just another manipulation on her part to get people to "be on her side" and to try to get us to feel bad and stop talking shit about her and her designs. I think its all in line with the whole "tyranny of the weak" angle. And I've noticed the "oh well, there is nothing I could do because everyone was being so unfair to me, but thats totally fine" angle that just seems to be an attempt to manipulate.

I applaud her for trying to control her public image, and I don't want to be too harsh, because I would love for this to be a place where other "auf'd" designers reach out and interact with us.

You may very well be right, RealityGal. But I don't think posters here are easily manipulated. In fact, some have posted that they wouldn't alter their comments just because she's reading. If, indeed, it is her. I certainly hope the snark continues from everyone, as the forum is more entertaining than the show.

• Love 3

I hear you - but I wonder about what the transition must be like to come from corporate finance to design, and then to come from being an engineer, where all the deliverables are measurable, to being a contestant on Project Runway, where experienced kremlinologists like the folks here can't figure out what the producers' agenda is (but we're all sure there is one). 

I think it must be hard, but with her it seems to be, on the show and in the forum, a "well, I mean its a reality show, so I'm fine with it, but they were all really unfair and its not my fault"  I think just entering the world of fashion at all would be different from finance, in that people's taste can't be measured in any mathematical terms.  And she has been designing clothing for a while now, so she knows that fashion is very taste driven.  My only point being that she knew the world she was entering, and if she had seen PR before, she knows that the judges can be mean, so to complain about it now doesn't seem genuine.  Hell back in the MK days, I think the dress down would have been much worse.  Because once he got going, it got Nina going, and then it was no bueno as the two of them would try to "out bitch" each other.  And the beauty of her is it never comes off as straight complaint, its "well, I'm totally laid back and fine about my poor treatment, but its only because no one else is being fair with me" which seems manipulative to me.  

Forums like these are the ones with the really dedicated fans of the show.  The people who post here are more likely to share their views with others, if you just want to take a load off at work and read what other people are thinking about PR, this is a site you go to - so IMO, if you can manipulate the people on this board, you have done yourself a favor as a reality show contestant in terms of shaping your image.

• Love 2

In my opinion, Sandhya's garment was editorial because it was futuristic -- thus, outside the scope of Tim's instructions. If you're going to design an editorial garment for the relatively near (20 year) future, you'd better have a damned good concept in support of your design.

I think it's a cop-out to design a futuristic garment and position it as an editorial design of a garment for the (relatively near) future.

• Love 2

I guess I don't see what else Angela's appearance here would be for?  I don't think she meant to 'fool' anyone that she wasn't doing damage control, or trying to make herself look better.  Obviously that's what she wanted to do.  "Hey, I looked bad on the show, I think I'm not bad, here's why."  I wouldn't call it manipulation, just a sort of press release, same as in post-auf interviews when people say "I'm not a bad designer!"

I guess you're saying people are going to abide by the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" rule, since she's here?  But I haven't really seen that.  I did see one (very harsh) post that I guess was deleted because I can't find it anymore, so maybe there's something to it, but it might very well have been deleted regardless, since it was, as I said, extremely harsh.

Anyway as for me, nothing has changed my mind--her blog pretty much confirmed everything I thought about her before.  I think her designs are pretty nice, and she's a little self-absorbed in an off-putting way ("I really value humility, so I don't like to put on a facade.  I'm very genuine. . .Btw, I'm also very nice, super considerate, and very kind to others"--these are actual quotes) but she's hardly alone in that, in the fashion world.  I see the former point, her design talent, as more important, and what the judges are supposed to be considering, so I don't think she should have been cut.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 2

I loved all top three designs, so if either of the other two had won, I wouldn't have gone into a "J'accuse!" rant, but I did like Sandhya's just a little bit more. It won't change anyone's opinion of her (here or on the show) but it's a nice moment for her. I just hope next week isn't a team challenge (I didn't see the previews). As for the bottom three, I thought Sean's was worse than Angela's (though I did like his last-minute creativity with the Mood bag) and Alexander's was far worse. I agree with those of you who have pointed out that Alexander seemed to get a pass because he had to toss his original idea and come up with something at the last minute, while no similar consideration was given to the losing team last week. Anyway, Angela left with grace and dignity, and I loved the way Amanda went right up to her and hugged her, just as she was the first to congratulate Sandhya (and, IIRC, hugged her, too). I doubt Amanda will win this, but I am enjoying her this season.

*le sigh* - allright, I'm gonna say something and its probably going to make a lot of people make angry comments directed my way.  But its kinda getting to me.

I think Angela's "appearance" here was just another manipulation on her part to get people to "be on her side" and to try to get us to feel bad and stop talking shit about her and her designs.  I think its all in line with the whole "tyranny of the weak" angle.  And I've noticed the "oh well, there is nothing I could do because everyone was being so unfair to me, but thats totally fine" angle that just seems to be an attempt to manipulate.

No anger from me. I enjoy the different opinions and the snark.  Anyone from a reality show who has the balls to come in a forum to see what people are saying about them had better be thick-skinned about it. 

We usually see eye-to-eye, Reality, but not this time.  I went back and read Angela's comment and I don't see how she could possibly have been any more self-deprecating or even-tempered.  I thought she summed her remarks pretty well with the invitation to her blog: 

"Anyways, not here to defend myself or argue, I put myself up for display, so...,  But PR gets to share their story, why don't i share my side?"   She seemed very careful NOT to claim that she was treated unfairly--just that she wound up in the bottom from the get-go and that confused her (as it would anyone.)

I'd understand if you took the position that "it's no fun when the snarkee shows up at Snark Central," but there's not much point to laying out the welcome mat for other auf'ed designers when one of them shows up and you see even her mere appearance as "just another manipulation" to try and get us on her side.  Why else would they drop by--to encourage us to keep on slamming them?

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

We usually see eye-to-eye, Reality, but not this time.  I went back and read Angela's comment and I don't see how she could possibly have been any more self-deprecating or even-tempered.  I thought she summed her remarks pretty well with the invitation to her blog: 

"Anyways, not here to defend myself or argue, I put myself up for display, so...,  But PR gets to share their story, why don't i share my side?"   She seemed very careful NOT to claim that she was treated unfairly--just that she wound up in the bottom from the get-go and that confused her (as it would anyone.)

I'd understand if you took the position that "it's no fun when the snarkee shows up at Snark Central," but there's not much point to laying out the welcome mat for other auf'ed designers when one of them shows up and you see even her mere appearance as "just another manipulation" to try and get us on her side.  Why else would they drop by--to encourage us to keep on slamming them?

Thats the thing, I think self deprecation is great, and appreciated, but I notice with Angela its always "self deprecation + 'here is how i was wronged'" which seems manipulative to me at worst, and just disingenuous at best, in the same way I thought she was manipulative on the show.  Its "I'm quiet and meek, and I'm totally on board with what we're doing + here are the ways I'm just going to go ahead and do what I want to do anyways"

Her entire approach seems tailored to garner sympathy.  I think she realizes that if she came right out and said "PR is unfair, I'm a great designer, and please stop picking on me" it might not be received well, but if you in essence say "well, I mean its really my fault, but....here is the way its really everyone else's fault, and their fault is greater....." its likely to work out better.  For example, on the one hand she states her designs weren't the greatest, but then goes on to say that she was always pushed to the bottom in a way no other designer was.  To me that pins her lack of success more on the show for pushing her to the bottom, than it does on her for simply not having the best designs.  And to me, thats her entire approach.......its basically "I was a little wrong, but Project Runway was even more wrong, which makes whatever I did wrong seem insignificant by comparison."

And by beginning her post by saying she isn't here to defend herself but then basically doing just that seems odd to me.  

I would like other designers to come onto the forum, and its why I'm really trying hard not to be harsh, but I think after having seen Angela on the show, this seems to be her MO.  Pretend to be quiet and meek, but then pushing an agenda through passive aggressive manipulation.  I think other designers should drop by and be part of the discussion, talk to us about the fashion of the episode, tell us what probably went on during the runway, what they think may have gone on in the cutting room, who really had drama, and what it was like to really try to create a garment in one day.  I wouldn't slam a designer for that, and I think that would be fun.

But, I surely can understand people not agreeing with me on this point.  And its only one point of view, and I could be wrong, it just seems very suspect to me.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 6

Reading through everyone's posts lately... I'm still bothered by Sandhya's win, maybe even more so....

Especially hearing that they were told not to make it crazy futuristic... and saying that her dress was "avant garde" doesn't work either... this wasn't an Avant Garde challenge.... and if that is what the judges wanted, it should have been part of the parameters of the challenge.  

I don't really care that much about the designers personalities or personal conflicts, which is why I hate all the manufactured drama... I mean, sure, I don't want people to be complete smug dicks or anything... but really, I want to see them design clothes and make said clothes and just watch that... I tune pretty much everything out but the runway, since the workroom stuff is no longer fun to watch, it's just tedious and drama-tastic. It was fun when we could watch some interesting draping, or some new techniques... people working...

I don't want anybody to feel bullied or picked on, but I don't think that means they need the win just to stick it to the jerks... I wish the judging was truly and completely blind, like no backstory or anything... here's the outfit, rate it and pick a winner...

Heidi gave Sandhya's dress a low score... that means she gets to win? I know it's not just based on points, but that should play into it. I don't have a problem with being all WTF that she's in the top 3, but chalking it up to judging quirks, but giving her the win for something that I thought was boring makes me sad. I didn't find her dress interesting or weird in any kind of a good way, and I don't buy her story behind it either.

And apparently almost a week later I'm still bugged by this :P  But it's not like it's the first time... They've been giving the win/ top 3-ing looks that I hate for a quite a few seasons now... so maybe I just have no fashion sense ;)

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 3

Reading through everyone's posts lately... I'm still bothered by Sandhya's win, maybe even more so....

Especially hearing that they were told not to make it crazy futuristic... and saying that her dress was "avant garde" doesn't work either... this wasn't an Avant Garde challenge.... and if that is what the judges wanted, it should have been part of the parameters of the challenge.  

I don't really care that much about the designers personalities or personal conflicts, which is why I hate all the manufactured drama... I mean, sure, I don't want people to be complete smug dicks or anything... but really, I want to see them design clothes and make said clothes and just watch that... I tune pretty much everything out but the runway, since the workroom stuff is no longer fun to watch, it's just tedious and drama-tastic. It was fun when we could watch some interesting draping, or some new techniques... people working...

I don't want anybody to feel bullied or picked on, but I don't think that means they need the win just to stick it to the jerks... I wish the judging was truly and completely blind, like no backstory or anything... here's the outfit, rate it and pick a winner...

Heidi gave Sandhya's dress a low score... that means she gets to win? I know it's not just based on points, but that should play into it. I don't have a problem with being all WTF that she's in the top 3, but chalking it up to judging quirks, but giving her the win for something that I thought was boring makes me sad. I didn't find her dress interesting or weird in any kind of a good way, and I don't buy her story behind it either.

And apparently almost a week later I'm still bugged by this :P  But it's not like it's the first time... They've been giving the win/ top 3-ing looks that I hate for a quite a few seasons now... so maybe I just have no fashion sense ;)

I agree with you. Perhaps I don't understand fashion, either. All I know is that no one would wear the dress Sandhya created. And please don't tell me it's "editorial," it would look good in a magazine. No, I'm no designer, and I never will be. All I do know that it's been 3 years since Prince William got married and people are still clamoring to own the dress that Pippa Middleton wore to that event. NOBODY WOULD WEAR SANDHYA'S FREAKING DRESS!!

• Love 1

A quick administrative point, everyone:

Those of you playing reality TV bingo, don't forget to check off, "I'm not here to make friends."

It was strange to hear everyone saying "I don't understand" or "get" other contestants' designs.  As if they were coached to avoid saying that they just didn't like something.

Thinking back to 1994, I was wearing stuff I had since 1984 or earlier.  What will I be wearing twenty years from now?  Probably stuff I own now.  That's the glory of avoiding trends.

• Love 3
Thinking back to 1994, I was wearing stuff I had since 1984 or earlier.  What will I be wearing twenty years from now?  Probably stuff I own now.  That's the glory of avoiding trends.

Ha, I have an apparently indestructible, washable silk blouse that I bought at TJ Maxx in the late 90's that I'm still wearing to work and still looks fantastic, and I'll probably still be wearing it for the next 10 years.  These designers should be so lucky to design something a person would wear for more than a few months.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

A quick administrative point, everyone:

Those of you playing reality TV bingo, don't forget to check off, "I'm not here to make friends."

It was strange to hear everyone saying "I don't understand" or "get" other contestants' designs.  As if they were coached to avoid saying that they just didn't like something.

Thinking back to 1994, I was wearing stuff I had since 1984 or earlier.  What will I be wearing twenty years from now?  Probably stuff I own now.  That's the glory of avoiding trends.

In 20 years I'll probably be wearing whats trendy right now.  I'm notoriously late to trends....or blessedly early....either way I'm still wearing velour tracksuits.

I think what always gets me is "I'm concerned about [insert designer name],[insert bitchy comment], I mean I just don't get their aesthetic" which is pretty much code for "designer x's clothing is dumb, its not my style, and I hate it, and I will be laughing on the inside if the judges put them in the bottom three"

When I'm showing concern for someone, I generally try not to follow it up with a bitchy comment.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 5

If I'm not mistaken, the model Alisar (wearing Sandhya's look this week) won the fifth cycle of Germany's Next Top Model... hosted by Heidi Klum. I wonder if she pulled some strings to get her involved.

Apparently Heidi didn't have anything to do with Alisar being on PR. There is a casting for the PR models and she just went there and got the job.

After she won the Top Model thing she hired a lawyer to get out of the management contract with Heidi Klum's dad (?) or something along those lines. So I don't think Heidi Klum would do anything to further her career nowadays.

My sister's loving the modeling. She actually wants to audition for America's Next Top Model and/or Project Runway when she's old enough. Would you believe she's done bridal shows since she was 14 and she's now getting "too old" for it at 17? That creeped me out! I had no idea most of those "brides" in magazines and fashion shows were SO young. I'd be so excited to see her on either of these shows one day and I think she's got a decent shot at them once she turns 18.

Good luck to your sister! I think she'd be better off on PR or even The Face. Tell her to avoid ANTM. ;)

I like fashion in the artistic sense. Editorial doesn't bother me. And as others have mentioned, with certain modifications, an editorial outfit could work as RTW.

I think editorial sums up Sandhya's aesthetic. As I've said before, I appreciate that she has a certain vision, but hopefully, she'll do a better job of translating it into her clothing. I really like that she'll work with color. Mind you, a lot of my wardrobe is neutral, but I enjoy seeing what designers can do with color.

• Love 1

I just have to say this. I was watching this when my 8 yr. old daughter comes out and watches the judges doing their thing and she says, "Mom, they are saying such mean things. And he looks like he's going to cry." She also decided the blue dress with the hat made the model look like a spy.

I also want a challenge where the designers are forbidden to use black or white or gray.

I agree with your daughter - I got a definite "Where in the world is Carmen SanDiego?" vibe...

Apparently Heidi didn't have anything to do with Alisar being on PR. There is a casting for the PR models and she just went there and got the job.

After she won the Top Model thing she hired a lawyer to get out of the management contract with Heidi Klum's dad (?) or something along those lines. So I don't think Heidi Klum would do anything to further her career nowadays.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'd be fascinated to see the conversation they had when/if Heidi realized who she was.

Good luck to your sister! I think she'd be better off on PR or even The Face. Tell her to avoid ANTM. ;)

Thanks Surrealist!  I'll pass along your advice. I shudder to think of seeing her get torn apart on ANTM, honestly. First there's the way they do those dramatic makeovers that are sometimes great and sometimes horrible, plus I just want to cry for those girls/young women when they start getting into all the drama and stuff that happens in the house. I think the judging can be so harsh too... "why did you bend your pinky finger?  you never bend your pinky finger" and the next week it's "always bend your pinky finger in editorial shoots!"  Random example... sorry for the O/T, but it drives me crazy. I guess it's not so unlike the "do this" no "don't do this" we see on this show, come to think of it. I understand they're in a competition so they're going to be judged, but geez.

Thanks Surrealist! I'll pass along your advice. I shudder to think of seeing her get torn apart on ANTM, honestly. First there's the way they do those dramatic makeovers that are sometimes great and sometimes horrible, plus I just want to cry for those girls/young women when they start getting into all the drama and stuff that happens in the house. I think the judging can be so harsh too... "why did you bend your pinky finger? you never bend your pinky finger" and the next week it's "always bend your pinky finger in editorial shoots!" Random example... sorry for the O/T, but it drives me crazy. I guess it's not so unlike the "do this" no "don't do this" we see on this show, come to think of it. I understand they're in a competition so they're going to be judged, but geez.

You're welcome! I do think the judges' comments on ANTM and PR can be unreasonably harsh. And sometimes the comments are arbitrary and judges play favorites.

I think that Heidi is better than Tyra when it comes to constructive criticism. Tyra could be a better mentor if she really wanted to. And while PR focuses on contestant drama, I think the drama quotient on ANTM is far worse and more obnoxious.

Out of the three, I think The Face is the best, but Project Runway would be the next best bet.

Edited by Surrealist

.Out of the three, I think The Face is the best, but Project Runway would be the next best bet.

That would be past tense.  Every existing version of The Face has been cancelled.

EDIT - Oh this is rich.  Just checked, and while the US, UK and Aus versions of the show allegedly all got cancelled pretty much at once (it was reported a few months ago, although I can't find the articles anymore), apparently new Canadian and French versions are coming (no idea if Naomi will be on those or not).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

That would be past tense. Every existing version of The Face has been cancelled.

EDIT - Oh this is rich. Just checked, and while the US, UK and Aus versions of the show allegedly all got cancelled pretty much at once (it was reported a few months ago, although I can't find the articles anymore), apparently new Canadian and French versions are coming (no idea if Naomi will be on those or not).

Thanks for the information. I hadn't even heard they were canceled. :\

That said, out of the three, I still think that The Face is/was the best.

EDIT: According to what I've found, so far, only the UK version has been canceled.

Edited by Surrealist

I was trying to figure out why Amanda De Cadenet looked familiar to me and I've come to the conclusion that she must just look like someone else.

The episode felt very low-key to me. No drama but also not a lot of emphasis on what they were making. I'm not really sure what they did this episode. Maybe they always feel like this when there are too many contestants or maybe it's that they only spent 30 minutes on the challenge half. I don't know. 

Kristine: I really liked her look. I think there was something a little wonky with the sheer panels but they move really fast so I couldn't tell for sure. Still, I liked the design.

Hernan: I wasn't wowed. First of all, I was distracted with her playing with the dress because I thought it was falling off at first. Then when the panels were released I found them to be very thin. I think you want more drama with a dress like that. It felt bulky around the thighs and then wispy at the bottom. So like diapery with trails of toilet paper. I did like all the strappyness at the top, especially at the back because I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. I just don't feel like the dress was balanced and it's only going to work for a very specific body type.

Mitchell: Oh my God, who is this Mitchell? I had a completely different idea of what kind of designer he would be. Yeah it looked a little a scuba Barbie I had when I was little but it seemed to fit well and it was super cute. Good job, Mitchell. Good job.

Amanda: OK, maybe it's her godawful dark lipstick (Mary Kay? That was mean. Nevermind.) but I cannot take Amanda seriously. The uniform idea was interesting but then came this. The sheer jacket was terrible. It looked like something out of The Matrix or some awful 90's music video. No.

Angela: It was kind of like a cute, beigey flight attendant outfit but whatever. I have low expectations. I just feel bad for her. Good on you for getting something out there. Please stop crying all the time. 

Emily: I love Zac's reaction to the model's attempts to be sassy. I'm not going to pretend I haven't seen the hood or the jumpsuit before but I thought it worked. Emily kind of feels like this season's Michelle but better. In that she annoys me less. This one felt like a warrior costume. While the hood would be a little silly in the real world the jumpsuit was perfect acceptable. Faith restored in Emily after last week's crazy hips.

Samantha: I know I just said that I didn't care that Emily's design didn't feel fresh but Samantha's bothers me more. The big turtleneck collar, the stupid jacket. Ugh, maybe it's that the stupid jacket reminds me of the girl with fried blond hair. I know, it's P-ject R-way, which one? I think she might have also been named Melissa. It looks perfectly fine and well made. I don't care. Bored. How is this the future?

Kini: OK, I can't keep commenting that nothing is new but it's not. I wish he'd gone for slightly brighter colors so the cape would have popped more but I just love how polished his looks are. For some reason it feels like Ralph Lauren to me. Or Ann Taylor. Like, whatever's in fashion but spun in a polished and wearable way for older women. Which I'm OK with. Like, women in their 20's and 30's would look more mature wearing his clothes and women 40+ would look chic and age appropriate.

Fade: Not wowed. Hate the pants. Maybe I'd be more interested if we'd checked in with him once and I knew where this was coming from or what work he'd done on it but I don't so... meh. I can totally believe you made this is in one day.

Sean: I don't know if I'd like it without the hat and the lipstick but it's super cute with the hat and the lipstick. Very Mary Poppins chic. Long cardigan, turtleneck, widebrimmed hat, red lipstick. Yes! Go fly around with your umbrella, Mary Poppins.

Char: Meh. The top looks lumpy and unflattering. If you're going to go this simple it has to feel special. I think I might be out on Char.

Korina: Meh. Brooklyn hipster. On anyone who wasn't that skinny and Kristen Stewart-y it would look awful. It looks like a housecoat. A mesh housecoat. Why would you wear that to work?

Alexander: It's sort of cute? But I just wish he'd decided to send out the uniboob. It looked more interesting. Cool, some of thick knit in a puke fabric and leather. I'll call up Marc Jacobs.

Sandhya: Dafuq, Sandhya? It looks like a super simple pink dress with robot pipes. For your robot lady. It's 20 years from now. Calm down.

• Love 1