Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: One Giant Leap

• Start Topic

Loved this so much more than last week.   Nicky and his new found confidence.  They all helped each other.  I loved all the conversations and sentiments.  Love Miguel and Rebecca.  Next week back to whiney  Kevin and Madison and twin angst.  Enough! 
I don’t care about Malik and Deja enough yet but time will tell how it goes.   
Really felt this one scored a 9. Last week 4-5.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 15

I was so glad to see the connection between Miguel and Rebecca. He obviously adores her.

As for the future Mrs. Nicky, I like her! (Although it was a bit troubling to hear them say they missed each other) 

Hmmm… Deja gets busted in the next episode! 

• Love 16

I felt so bad for Nicky when it seemed like Sally didn't remember him. I am not sure why, but I always feel so sad for Nicky. But I guess it ended nicely for him, and he was able to move on. It's great for him to finally have some happiness and it is much more realistic than if he ended up married to Sally.

That dinner was awkward I could barely watch. 

I don't really care about Malik and Deja. I mean they are not unlikable, but not super interesting.

I don't like episodes that don't have all of the big three.

• Love 18

I didn’t find Nicky’s behavior on the plane to be flirty and cute.  Given all the crap flight attendants seem to have to deal with these days, that scene seemed a little tone deaf.

Finally we got a little bit of Rebecca and Miguel.  Finally.  That dinner was all kinds of hilarious, and ending it with the husband asking “bourbon” and Miguel’s resigned “yes he is” to Nicky’s statement that he’s an alcoholic was just the right note.

Answering “life changing” to Randall’s question . . . I guess she wants him to know they had sex.  I was surprised he didn’t immediately call her.  

ETA: Wait, did I miss that Randall didn’t know she was meeting up with Malik?  I admit I didn’t  pay close attention to that storyline.

• Love 21
7 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

ETA: Wait, did I miss that Randall didn’t know she was meeting up with Malik?  I admit I didn’t  pay close attention to that storyline.

I didn't pay that close attention either. But Randall's text referred to Breakfast at Tiffany's, which is not usually a line associated with Boston. And it does seem strange that he'd let her go to visit Malik, at least without major stressing. So I am leaning towards her lying.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

This was a wonderful episode. Not too many scenes on tv these days where elderly people talk about life. I do wonder why Jeffrey Nordling would take on this small role. 

I appreciated the subtle sign of consent between Malik and Deja. 

• Love 23
17 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Randall asks Deja if she and (some girl's name) will be staying in and studying, no wild parties. And Deja said something about him knowing her so well. Then she's on the bus and tells the woman beside her that she's going to see her boyfriend in Boston. That's when I knew that Randall thought she was spending the night with a friend, not with Malik. 

Poor Deja. She's probably heading for a sad storyline. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I do wonder why Jeffrey Nordling would take on this small role. 

It’s a hit show. Plus I liked him in it. I’m still worried about the deck. 

I’m no Deja fan and the whole story line with Malik and his baby mama is really off point. But Griffin Dunne really brings it every time.

• Love 24
31 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I missed that, too.

She did look nice in that dress, though. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Deja turns out fine.  In the flashforward, she's in med school.  

I get that, but young love changes you. 🤗 She might have to go through the usual heartbreak one gets with their first love. 

• Love 8

For me, the show miscast Deja and especially Malik.  He still appears way too young for that storyline to be interesting for me.  He’s so childlike….plus, he has a child…that and other factors make that a turnoff for me.  With the right actors, it might have worked better.

I think I’m always surprised when a woman, especially one over 50, is so peculiar about not showing her neck, always wearing lipstick, covering her grey hair…..it amazes me that mature adults feel that way.  Lol. I like to look nice, but to be so focused on appearance….I’m glad I’m not like that.  

I loved the big 3 not being around this week.  Awesome.  It’s amazing that Rebecca still has so much insight into her condition.  Most people that I know with that kind of condition aren’t. In fact, they deny that anything is wrong with them and they snap at you for claiming otherwise.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 19

Loved the awkward dinner and aftermath. I thought it was feeling false at one point but it all came together. A large part of it was the actress playing Sally. Pitch perfect from the first moment. 
The Miguel/ Rebecca story is so good and needs more attention. He looked really sharp in that shirt and sport coat. 
They need to find a way to keep the big square studio lights from showing in Rebecca’s glasses. 
Wasn’t interested in the Deja storyline. And why was Malik wearing a doo rag after sex? Is that a thing??

Edited by Tango64
Another thought
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Randall asks Deja if she and (some girl's name) will be staying in and studying, no wild parties. And Deja said something about him knowing her so well. Then she's on the bus and tells the woman beside her that she's going to see her boyfriend in Boston. That's when I knew that Randall thought she was spending the night with a friend, not with Malik. 

Tiffany. Hence why Randall texted her about Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Tess knew the truth because they hugged each other when she left (like why would sisters hug for a one night sleepover at a friend). Deja would have confided that she was going to visit Malik and lose her viriginity.

Oh my, that dinner was super awkward. When Sally invited them to dinner and Nicky wanted to just go, Pearsons gotta Pearsons, so they ended up staying.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Loved the awkward dinner and aftermath. I thought it was feeling false at one point but it all came together. A large part of it was the actress playing Sally. Pitch perfect from the first moment. 
The Miguel/ Rebecca story is so good and needs more attention. He looked really sharp in that shirt and sport coat. 
They need to find a way to keep the big square studio lights from showing in Rebecca’s glasses. 
Wasn’t interested in the Deja storyline. And why was Malik wearing a doo rag after sex? Is that a thing??

I never did it or ever heard of post coital doo rag wearing.  Maybe it a Harvard thing. The legacy boys wear ascots and urban schollies wear doo rags.

I haven't seen Vanessa Bell Calloway in a while.  Always good to see her.  I have to disagree on posters perception that she wouldn't take too kindly to mouthy passengers.  She's probably been working as an attendant for decades and know who barks and who bites.  She pegged Nick's seat banter as all bark and that a well timed semi snarky comment would be well received and make a passenger like Nicky compliant

• LOL 5
  • Love 14

When did Jeffrey Nordling become "old?" I thought he's in his 50s. Last time I saw him on a show a few years ago (Big Little Lies), his character was married to Laura Dern's character. At first I thought Sally married her husband later in life and he was a lot younger than her, but then she said something about them meeting when they were both young.

The dinner was so cringeworthy, but I loved how Sally and her husband just rolled with it.

I was surprised to see Malik living in such a shabby apartment, I thought he got a full ride with campus housing? Still not buying him as Harvard material, he just doesn't seem particularly smart or eloquent. This was already too much Deja, and after Randall inevitably finds out that she lied to him, there will be even more Deja, ugh. She/the actress has no charisma whatsoever.

Nice to finally get some details on Miguel and Rebecca's backstory, but I feel shortchanged that it was just told and not shown. It's like Fogelman et al. wanted to show us that they read the comments, but couldn't be bothered to shoot some flashback scenes.

ETA:

3 minutes ago, Kirkydee said:

I haven't seen Vanessa Bell Calloway in a while.

She played Veronica's mother on Shameless.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, Tango64 said:

And why was Malik wearing a doo rag after sex? Is that a thing??

I wondered the same thing.  So weird!!

Other than Deja and M., I really enjoyed this ep, for the first time in quite a while. No Kate--yehhhh!  Only 1 minute of Randal!!  Some of the scenes at Sally's house were priceless.  Maybe they hired new writers??!  That must be it!! Of course TPTB forced more Jack on us.  And, unlike Rebecca, I used to think if I had a  convertible my hair would blow sexily in the wind like on TV.  Then I got a sports car and my hair was always a tangled mess if I had the top down.  Guess I should have worn a doo rag!!!

• LOL 18
  • Love 4

This episode was good other then Deja and Malik. They brought the episode down. I don’t care about them and never will. The actors have no chemistry. Also like everyone else has said Malik looks like he’s 12 so itvs awkward. Were they in a club at one point? How?

Good for Nicky finding love but I feel like there’s no time for a new character so I hope they don’t spend too much time on them. Nicky gets too flustered to buy a camera but he just flirts with the flight attendant like a pro. Ok sure show lol.

Barely any Randall so that was nice.

I can’t believe how much I love Randall and Miguel together. Or how much I just love Miguel. I will admit I had a hate on for him way back in season 1 but that changed years ago. Like everyone else has said I’d like to see a flashback focusing on them. Also I can’t remember but is Miguel in the flash forward?

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Marley said:

Like everyone else has said I’d like to see a flashback focusing on them. Also I can’t remember but is Miguel in the flash forward?

The super-flash-forward of the cabin and Rebecca's deathbed has almost everyone accounted for except Miguel, Kate and Madison (and/or Kevin's wife if the wife is not Madison). Also Jack and Haley Damon.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I was surprised to see Malik living in such a shabby apartment, I thought he got a full ride with campus housing? Still not buying him as Harvard material, he just doesn't seem particularly smart or eloquent.

I don't think he could bring his daughter to live with him at campus housing. I get that Harvard is a big deal but he told Randall that he wants to be a Top Michelin Chef and open his own restaurant. He should have gone to culinary school. When he said that Deja looks incandescent, he sounded like that was the first time he ever said/heard the word.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Tango64 said:

And why was Malik wearing a doo rag after sex? Is that a thing??

Same reason TV women put a bra back on after sex, I suppose.

Sally's husband:  "Bourbon, gentlemen?"  Me:  "Yes, please.  And leave the bottle."

Her professional photographer friend up in Cambria must have a good telephoto lens.  That looked a lot like Morro Rock.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

The super-flash-forward of the cabin and Rebecca's deathbed has almost everyone accounted for except Miguel, Kate and Madison (and/or Kevin's wife if the wife is not Madison). Also Jack and Haley Damon.

"Sophie" was filmed in old makeup but not shown. She said no matter what happens between them, she would love to be there. They invested so much in their relationship. Whether as a friend or wife.

I know TIU does keep things from the actors, they will say they don't get the scripts early, but they must discuss how they want the story to end. Kevin used to say too much to fans, so they might have cut him off. lol

I loved  mature storyline this week and not the tripe with the twins and garage etc  Kevin isn't 20 or 30, he's grown and maybe needs some time or counselor to let go of his expectations. He had a one night stand with someone he didn't want to see again or date, then pow, he's having twins (of course) and needs to be there. Madison is nice, he tried to make it his story but this dragging on about missing a step or new food, is going to be rerun again (re toby and kate) Let Madison have some freedom and get on with your life. Sophie, please call him again so we can open or close that chapter, (it happened for a reason) and move this story along. It seems stuck. If Nicky can get unstuck with Sally, an A episode, then let it happen with Kevin.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 9

I enjoy the episodes which do not focus on the triplets (and Jack), and instead dig deeper into one of the supporting characters.

They have done a good job with the Nicky character, both as a late teen/solder, and the modern day version.

• Love 13

Great episode.

As others have said, the dinner was super cringy/awkward.   Starting from Nicky stating that Sally took his virginity, to Sally's husband stating she's deflowered most of the midwest (?), etc etc etc.

I am happy that Nicky found someone and it wasn't Sally but he put the idea of Sally to rest.

Malik to me looks like he's 15.  I don't know why.  Is he suppose to be playing 21 year old?

I was wondering if he sleeps with the doorag like some women sleep with a silk scarf or a silk pillow slip (remember when Kevin's ex was freaking out about not having her pillow?)

We need more flash forwards.

• Love 9

I am so so not interested in Deja and Malik.  Sure, the characters are sweet but I just.don't.care.  (Oh, I missed that she lied and said she was spending the weekend with a girlfriend.  Oops.)

27 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Is he suppose to be playing 21 year old?

I like Nicky but I really wasn't interested in his search for love either, that is, until the worst dinner party ever.  Eek.  Why Rebecca and Miguel decided to stay after knowing it was going to be a terrible idea is crazy.  And as soon as the accusations started flying?  Welp, time to go!

The flashforward, I was like "who is Evie??", wracking my brain to try to remember some relative or hoping she wasn't Randall's long lost sister.  Oh, whew.  Nicky's wife.  That was a sweet reveal.  Good for you, Nicky!

Miguel is too good for the Pearsons.  So kind and thoughtful.  I'm going to miss the pairing of Miguel and Nicky.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Nilknarf said:

As for the future Mrs. Nicky, I like her! (Although it was a bit troubling to hear them say they missed each other) 

He's been at Rebecca's bedside...she's a flight attendant...they've probably been apart for at least a few days.

I'm handwaving Nicky's sudden charm offensive. I think the closure with Sally and knowing he "made her wall" gave him newfound confidence.

One thing that confused me was that he joked that he wanted to get back east because Kevin was about to start construction on the house and probably needed adult supervision. This didn't line up with last week's Kevin storyline, so maybe I missed something about how much time had passed since the previous episode...? Or did I mis-hear what Nicky said?

9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Deja turns out fine.  In the flashforward, she's in med school.  

And pregnant.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I missed that, too.

She did look nice in that dress, though. 

I believe she told her parents she was spending the weekend at her friend Tiffany’s. That’s why Randall asked about breakfast (a dad joke). But it seemed like Tessa knew what was up when they had their goodbyes at the beginning of the episode. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

When did Jeffrey Nordling become "old?" I thought he's in his 50s.

He'll be 60 in March. I'm not familiar with him but I did think he looked younger than the rest of the dinner party is supposed to be.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 12
21 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

And pregnant.

Which is fine at 25.  From what I have heard, there is no right time for a woman who wants to be both a doctor and a mother to have her children.  As long as she is in a loving and committed relationship with the baby's father, Deja being pregnant at that point in her life is not necessarily a bad thing. 

I am worried that the show did not show either Deja or Malik talking about contraception before having sex.  Malik should definitely know better.  Unless I missed it because I could not care any less about these two characters, but I don't recall any dialogue about Malik already picked up condoms or Deja already being on the pill.  

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

I never did it or ever heard of post coital doo rag wearing.  Maybe it a Harvard thing. The legacy boys wear ascots and urban schollies wear doo rags.

I haven't seen Vanessa Bell Calloway in a while.  Always good to see her.  I have to disagree on posters perception that she wouldn't take too kindly to mouthy passengers.  She's probably been working as an attendant for decades and know who barks and who bites.  She pegged Nick's seat banter as all bark and that a well timed semi snarky comment would be well received and make a passenger like Nicky compliant

Sorry just saw this word bark twice in your comment and it made me think of “bark like a dog. A big dog.” That was what popped in my mind when I saw VBC. 

• LOL 3
14 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Which is fine at 25.  From what I have heard, there is no right time for a woman who wants to be both a doctor and a mother to have her children.  As long as she is in a loving and committed relationship with the baby's father, Deja being pregnant at that point in her life is not necessarily a bad thing. 

I am worried that the show did not show either Deja or Malik talking about contraception before having sex.  Malik should definitely know better.  Unless I missed it because I could not care any less about these two characters, but I don't recall any dialogue about Malik already picked up condoms or Deja already being on the pill.  

I can’t imagine being a mom to an infant AND wrapping up med school at the same time though.  Sounds tough (not a doctor, never went to med school).  If you can handle it, you can handle it, so good for (future) Deja!

(Didn’t this episode have a different name before?) 

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

This was probably covered last season during the flashforward, but who does Randall greet outside at the cabin? I know one is Deja. I think one is Annie but is the third Tessa or Beth?  I think Beth is already inside because this was shown after Randall and Beth's marriage was shaky. So is the third women Tessa?  It has been too long to remember. 

12 minutes ago, js9548 said:

This was probably covered last season during the flashforward, but who does Randall greet outside at the cabin? I know one is Deja. I think one is Annie but is the third Tessa or Beth?  I think Beth is already inside because this was shown after Randall and Beth's marriage was shaky. So is the third women Tessa?  It has been too long to remember. 

I believe he greets Deja and Annie outside.  From what I recall, he picked up Tess at work and they went to the house together.  They both arrived before Deja and Annie.

1 minute ago, Trillian said:

Add me to the chorus that doesn’t like the Deja/Malik storyline and who is disturbed by young he looks. The fact that the actress who plays Deja has matured into a rather beautiful young woman, as opposed to girl, makes it more uncomfortable.  

What's funny is that I believe the actor playing Malik is actually a few years older than the actress who plays Deja.

• Love 4