Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: One Giant Leap

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He'll be 60 in March. I'm not familiar with him but I did think he looked younger than the rest of the dinner party is supposed to be.

Considering Mr. Sally’s “deflowering” comment, perhaps he IS younger than Sally.  Maybe Sally was 25 when she met her then-18 or 19 year old husband!   

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

When Kevin was driving like a madman to be by Madison's side when she gave birth, there was a moment when Rebecca said something that Kevin couldn't hear because the phone connection briefly dropped. She said something along the lines of, "As much as I loved your father, the truth is that there were times when..."

That makes me suspect that they're going to explore Jack's flaws at least a bit more before the series ends. In the episode before this one, there was some acknowledgement that Randall's savior complex is unhealthy, so I'm hoping they'll explore how Jack had the same issue, and passed it down to Randall.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Assante Blackk, the actor who plays him, is 20 years old. 

Wow. He looked about 12 to me when he first started, and still looks like he has not aged much. Takes me out of the storyline.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It also makes more sense, given Nicky and Deja's leaps of faith, and all the moon references. Nicky even specifically mentioned that they were 'walking on the moon' at the same time he and Sally were hooking up.

Oddly enough - the actual moon walk and Woodstock took place at the same time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

They were both in 1969, but not the same time. The moon landing was in July, and Woodstock was in August. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know it's Harvard and all that jazz, but the school is committed possibly even more than your regular state university to make sure students succeed.  Russian literature is not an entry level literature course suitable for freshman, I can't see any advisor being okay with that choice.  

Just more evidence that these writers often have a poor grasp of reality.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I just can't bring myself to care about Deja and Malik.  He looks 14, and there's no way that relationship will last.  Realistically, he and Deja might as well be on other planets, they are at such different points in their lives. 

Yeah, this!!! I don't know how old Malik is in real life, but he looks like a very young teen. I like Deja well enough, but Randall and Beth do have 2 other daughters and we hardly ever see adorable Annie. 

Speaking of Malik, I was all sorts of confused as to why his baby mama was there. He's a freshman at Harvard, right? Was that an off-campus apartment, because it wasn't a dormitory room. Did his ex-gf move to Boston so she and Malik could co-parent their daughter? 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I’m over 50.  Your hair thins, your eyebrows thin (I used to have bushy eyebrows and now have a huge gap in the middle of each eyebrow), your hands dry, your nails get brittle, your feet spread to new sizes, you gain weight in brand new places - aging isn’t for the fragile.

Yeah, and on top of that we’re presented with images of celebrities like Christie Brinkley — over 65 and still looks fabulous. Look at Jane Fonda’s ridiculously taut jawline at 80+! Sure, that’s easy when you’re a rich celeb who can afford the best plastic surgeons money can buy…

Oddly, though, ever since menopause my nails have been in better shape than ever in my life. In my teens and 20s I wanted long nails but they always peeled so I could never manage it.  Now, when I don’t really want them that long, they grow like crazy and are solid as rocks. Weird AF.

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Jillybean said:
21 hours ago, Nilknarf said:

As for the future Mrs. Nicky, I like her! (Although it was a bit troubling to hear them say they missed each other) 

He's been at Rebecca's bedside...she's a flight attendant...they've probably been apart for at least a few days.

Well, the very end of the episode was the time jump forward of about 15 years, right?  So, if the current day Rebecca is around 71, (the big 3 just celebrated their 41st birthday and she was 30 when she gave birth to the twins), that would mean that in the jump forward she's 86.  Jack was 6 years older than Rebecca and Nicky is the younger brother, so I doubt he's more than 3 years younger than Jack. If Rebecca is 86 in the jump forward then Nicky is 89 or so. He didn't look like he could be 89. Also, is Edie supposed to be significantly younger? Because when Nicky was on the plane flying back East to PA, he was around 74ish. Was Edie supposed to be in her 50s?  For the jump forward when he said he'd missed her, would she still be working as a flight attendant then, as she had to be pushing 70 in the jump forward. 

I know I'm overthinking this, but I hate when the numbers don't add up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

He's four years younger; October 1948, according to the show wiki.

Thanks for the info. So, current day Nicky is only 2 years older than Rebecca and would be 73. In the time jump of 15 years he'd be 88 and he didn't look 88 to me. I still want to know how much younger Edie is than him. Is there a mandatory retirement age for flight attendants? 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Well, the very end of the episode was the time jump forward of about 15 years, right?  So, if the current day Rebecca is around 71, (the big 3 just celebrated their 41st birthday and she was 30 when she gave birth to the twins), that would mean that in the jump forward she's 86.  Jack was 6 years older than Rebecca and Nicky is the younger brother, so I doubt he's more than 3 years younger than Jack. If Rebecca is 86 in the jump forward then Nicky is 89 or so. He didn't look like he could be 89. Also, is Edie supposed to be significantly younger? Because when Nicky was on the plane flying back East to PA, he was around 74ish. Was Edie supposed to be in her 50s?  For the jump forward when he said he'd missed her, would she still be working as a flight attendant then, as she had to be pushing 70 in the jump forward. 

The flashforward of Rebecca's deathbed are set in 2030.  Rebecca would be 80 and Nicky 82.  Yeah, Nicky does not look that old.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

2 hours ago, Jeddah said:

They were both in 1969, but not the same time. The moon landing was in July, and Woodstock was in August. 

Yes, which makes sense. She deflowered him (lol) under the moon while the moonlanding (one giant leap for mankind) was happening,  and then left to go to Woodstock.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I just looked at Harvard's website and there is apartment-style housing available (and it says it "appeals to" students with families), but that it is in high demand and not guaranteed so I can see how a unit is unlikely to be available for a freshman.

Malik just told the Student Housing Board "I'm sorta related to a woman who's part of the extended Pearson family out in Pittsburgh" and that's all it took.

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Just Google a name, any name, and you will immediately find the person you are looking for. 

Yep, I'm a distinguished urologist on the east coast, as well as a professional disc golfer and a former screenwriter for Star Trek.  At least according to google.

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Considering Mr. Sally’s “deflowering” comment,

What is funny is that he actually used the term 'defoliating', implying a much more agressive approach.

• LOL 18

Personally,  I love that Jack is a sappy, loving husband and dad. I never thought they were trying to make him a saint. He definitely made mistakes with his kids, and with Rebecca - but they are all made from love. I think each of the kids have come to realise that he wasn't perfect, but they all knew they were loved. Maybe it's because he reminds me a lot of my own dad, and my parents had that sappy, hold hands after 50 years marriage right up til their deaths. There are enough asshole men and fathers on tv (and in real life). I'm glad there's a Jack Pearson and I hope he's in every episode til the end. 

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, madmax said:

That was the most bonkers dinner party ever.  And I just loved how Nicky didn't totally freak (only a little), despite finding out the "love of his life" was married.  SO glad they didn't decide to get those two together.

It would've been so hokey and unbelievable for them to end up together.  And Griffin Dunne has been doing such a great job in this role.  I had zero interest in the Uncle Nicky arc when it began, but he's won me over.

And Miguel is just the sweetest.  I love his and Rebecca's relationship--and that she knew he was bullshitting with his lovebirds story.  Also, hooray for going back to salsa dancing--they looked so happy in that scene.

• Love 18
50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

There's a minimum (18, but airlines can choose to make it higher, up to 21). No maximum age.

Maybe the secret to their happiness is that Edie keeps working and thus gets to take extended breaks from Nicky on a regular basis. He's a compelling character, but a little of him goes a long way.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

And Miguel is just the sweetest.  I love his and Rebecca's relationship--and that she knew he was bullshitting with his lovebirds story.  Also, hooray for going back to salsa dancing--they looked so happy in that scene.

I like Miguel a lot too. I am glad he and Rebecca have had such a lovely life together. But I agree that we should’ve seen more of how they reconnected and fell in love. 

I don’t mind Deja & Malik. Asante Blackk (Malik) has a youthful face (as well as being a petite man) but he is playing an 18 years old- totally believable to me. I think he’s nice looking, and it’s good to see a teen romance where the characters are respectful and talk to each other. We don’t often see black teens or teens if color having romances like this on tv. Even with the drama of him being a teen dad I buy their romance- although they don’t end up together, that doesn’t mean it’s not emotionally important to them. 

I’m assuming he sleeps in his head wrap so he put it on while preparing for bed. 

• Love 10

Thoughts on this episode:

• I couldn't help but notice Deja was tearing a tag on her dress that said "Fashion Style" on it. Lol. Generic much? 
  • I missed the Big 3, I guess
  • I honestly thought it would be Phillip, Jack, Kate, and Hayley in the white car that beeped, before tonight, that is. Of course as this was a Nicky based episode, it was going to be his wife. I figured more on it being his wife than Malik. I mean, it was like the big mystery.
  • I watched it with my 79 year old dad. He laughed at the dinner with Nicky. He was pretty much Nicky's opposite back then, probably more like Stan (Jack and Nicky's dad). My dad was so embarrassed for Nicky. But my, how Nicky has changed. So forthright now. 
  • Love 2

Re: the mother of Malik's baby, I'm pretty sure she and her family moved to Boston after she gave birth. 

Re: why we don't see more of Annie, I have to wonder if the makers of the show lack confidence in her acting ability. I say that only because it's common in the industry for an adorable child under the age of 10 to be cast when a series begins, and then within a few years it turns out that the kid can't deliver substantive dialogue well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Yep, I'm a distinguished urologist on the east coast, as well as a professional disc golfer and a former screenwriter for Star Trek.  At least according to google.

Well, I have two last names, so you’ll likely get me if you search for me.  However, if you go with my maiden name, then I’m doctor or two, a pharmacist, a lawyer, writer…under my husband’s last name, I’m also a lawyer…

• LOL 4
6 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Re: the mother of Malik's baby, I'm pretty sure she and her family moved to Boston after she gave birth. 

Re: why we don't see more of Annie, I have to wonder if the makers of the show lack confidence in her acting ability. I say that only because it's common in the industry for an adorable child under the age of 10 to be cast when a series begins, and then within a few years it turns out that the kid can't deliver substantive dialogue well.

Yes, Jennifer and her family moved to Boston after the baby was born. 

I agree with you regarding the actress that plays Annie. 

Deja & Tess’s actresses are talented and can deliver the nuance- writers (outside of children’s programing) have a difficult time writing for between the ages of 7-14. They can do “adorable little kid” as well as “teen angst” but the middle RARELY gets written well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Trillian said:

Amen, sister.  Amen. Except about the song. Never liked “ Hooked on a Feeling” at the time, because of the dumb “ooga chucka” , but that, and other oldies, have seriously grown on me.  Ties to a pre-wrinkled past…

Ugh. That baby! On Ally McBeal she'd dance with the creepy baby with that song! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, Shermie said:

But it’s because he died young and unexpectedly that he is remembered this way. The kids never got to see their Dad grow old and have discussions with him about mistakes he made along the way. Rebecca will always think of Jack as her perfect love because it ended too soon. 

This is true. Also because Jack had faced his demons, was starting AA, recently sober with he and Rebecca at the “high point” of their relationship when he died suddenly and tragically in a fire that destroyed their family home. 
When one gets to be an adult we often understand our parents better (even if we had a great relationship with them as kids). The Big 3 never got to have an adult relationship with Jack. Rebecca feels that Jack got the best version of her- the beautiful, vibrant, fertile version, where Miguel has her “past her prime”(the audience doesn’t think that but I think Rebecca does). 

• Love 8

A Randall and Beth free episode, I'm in! I love seeing Nicky's hilarious personality coming out now that he isn't hiding in his PTSD. 

It was an awkward dinner, but I love those. It triggers fight or flight mentality, and they stuck it out and found out awkwardness isn't deadly. I was kind of hoping Sally and Rebecca would exchange numbers. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Just Google a name, any name, and you will immediately find the person you are looking for. 

I am apparently a very accomplished artist! I google myself once in awhile to make sure no one has tagged me in some form of social media, but this other other person with my name is doing quite well!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Josiemae said:

And Chappaquiddick.

Yeah. Chappaquiddick was the day before the moon landing.  Woodstock was a month later August 15-18, what was supposed to be a three-day weekend but ended a day later because of weather and traffic issues.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, A.Ham said:
14 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Assante Blackk, the actor who plays him, is 20 years old. 

Wow. He looked about 12 to me when he first started, and still looks like he has not aged much. Takes me out of the storyline.

That scene where they were nose to nose and it was all profile.... All I could see was Assante must have had his head pressed against some glass. 

• LOL 4

Miguel! was perfect in this episode.  He sings!  Poor Miguel, going along with Rebecca's continued canonization of St. Jack without a care in the world or jealous bone in his body.  He's just gonna be there for her come what may.

The lines of Nicky, "I'm an alcoholic" and Miguel's, "Yes, he is" was the best scene in the episode.  I want it to be a meme!  I'm going to rewatch it.  The guys delivered those lines so wonderfully in their own ways.

Forget about St. Jack, I think Miguel is the real saint here.

Deja and Malik getting their first-time groove on was all kinds of no, no, no for me.  I don't care about this teen love affair.  No mention of birth control or condoms.  Malik protects his hair with a doo rag though.  I hope we don't get even a pregnancy scare story out of this.  Beth will be counting the days when she finds out from Randall that sweet baby Deja lied to them and took off for Boston instead of Breakfast at Tiffany's!  Deja did look amazing in that dress though.  Too amazing!  Girl, I hope you don't end up with regrets.

• Love 18
54 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Miguel! was perfect in this episode.  He sings!  Poor Miguel, going along with Rebecca's continued canonization of St. Jack without a care in the world or jealous bone in his body.  He's just gonna be there for her come what may.

Forget about St. Jack, I think Miguel is the real saint here.

THIS. Especially given how much disrespect the Big 3 have given him in the past.

• Love 11

Too many comments to read so maybe someone already said that - I think it was mentioned in another season: Harvard is not in Boston. why can't people get it right?

I liked Mandy Moore a lot in this episode. She plays old Rebecca very convincingly. 

I hope they are not going for a super drama with Deja, Malik and Jennifer. She seems like a pain but the kid seems to be fine with the parents. Hopefully they will leave it alone.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Yeah, and on top of that we’re presented with images of celebrities like Christie Brinkley — over 65 and still looks fabulous. Look at Jane Fonda’s ridiculously taut jawline at 80+! Sure, that’s easy when you’re a rich celeb who can afford the best plastic surgeons money can buy…

Oddly, though, ever since menopause my nails have been in better shape than ever in my life. In my teens and 20s I wanted long nails but they always peeled so I could never manage it.  Now, when I don’t really want them that long, they grow like crazy and are solid as rocks. Weird AF.

Some celebs get AWFUL plastic surgery and I don't envy that at all. And you can't change neck down or your real age. Cher (maybe) said something about ovaries, you can be a hot 45 year old but guys in her world wanted younger even if they didn't want kids, it was being virile with a young woman. I love being mature and less impulsive.

One or two plus's in my 60s. I have hardly any leg hair anymore, spotty and haven't had to deal with underarm hair in years. Always had thick hair so it's still not thin and although I had to go lower carb to deal with new belly fat, (it worked) my thighs finally slimmed and they were always heavy. My nails were better before gel manicures so that is on me. 

So hey, its not too bad if I can find my keys. ; )

• Love 16

Count me with the ones who aren't interested in the Deja/ Malik story.  Why, on a show known for great casting, would they bring on a young man who not only looks too young for Deja but is too small for her and, well, let's face it, not nearly as good looking as she is?  You just don't see that big a difference in real life very often.

Shallowness aside, why didn't they do something with their "first time" story?  When Malik was sitting on the bed looking nervous, I thought sure he was going to say he just couldn't risk getting a girl pregnant again.  He, of all people, should have been shown reaching for a condom.

On the other hand, I thought the awkward dinner at Sally's house was some of the best writing I've seen them do.  It was all so unexpected and real.  At first I thought it was unlikely they would have stayed for dinner, but then I thought, they must have figured, "we came all this way..."  I was happy for Sally getting a little romance in her life and for Nicky getting closure and Rebecca had lines that made her more real to me than ever before.  the first few seasons she just seemed like Jack's object of worship and I hadn't liked her as much.

• Love 13

I don't care about Deja and Malik.  I have been wanting to learn more about Miguel and Rebecca and finally it seems that we are starting to get hints about their lives together - he said his vows in Spanish, they enjoy salsa dancing.  I'll take whatever I can get for them.   Miguel is the guy I would most like to end up with.  I like Kevin but he is too much like Jack with big gestures.  Randall is OK but I would like to be looped in on decisions rather than him making all the decisions without listening to me (even if he wants me to tell him what I think).  

As far as St. Jack. The Christmas after my dad died, my mom and I went on a short trip. While listening to the radio, a sappy love song came on (I don't remember which one) and my mom started crying and said, "your dad and I had that kind of love."  Hmmm, no you didn't because sappy love song love doesn't really exist and I know they didn't have that kind of relationship.  Death can alter how the one left behind felt.  Even if they had a normal, everyday kind of relationship, after death suddenly it's the love song kind of love.  So I just roll my eyes at St. Jack and know that is not the truth.  

• Love 11

The actress who plays Edie, Vanessa Bell Calloway, is turning 65 this year, according to Wikipedia.  So if she’s 60-something in 2030-isn, she’s 50-something, maybe pushing 60 now.  The age difference isn’t bordering the “gross” category if that’s what we’re trying to get at without saying it.  

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, debraran said:

One or two plus's in my 60s. I have hardly any leg hair anymore, spotty and haven't had to deal with underarm hair in years.

Unfortunately, that hair has migrated to my chin and under my nose!

Deja is how old, 15, maybe 16? I know people have sex at that age, but presenting this as the great love story just bothered me. If both Deja and Malik looked the age they are supposed to be, wouldn't we be talking about the "older" man taking advantage of the "younger" woman?

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I just looked myself up and I'm a chiropractor in Florida.  I am not mad that she dominates the results.  My Instagram account does show up in the first page of results though.  But, if I Google my name and state where I live, you can find me.  And I mean find me.  One of the results is a voter records website and my full name and address is visible without clicking on the link.  I guess it is possible for Nicky to find Sally's address with a simple Google search.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, circumvent said:

Too many comments to read so maybe someone already said that - I think it was mentioned in another season: Harvard is not in Boston. why can't people get it right?

Ha ha, yes, it's in Cambridge, but right next door to Boston!  

Regarding student housing, this article talks about Harvard's housing of students. It doesn't mention family housing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I think that Rebecca was 8 years younger than Jack. Which means she was 28 when the triplets were born and about 44-45 when Jack died. The future scenes are maybe 10-12 years into the future, so if the Big Three are 51-53, then Rebecca is about 80 when she dies. That would make Nicky about 84 or so. Just a guess.

If my numbers are correct, Edie could be in her early 60s in the flash forward. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Deja is how old, 15, maybe 16? I know people have sex at that age, but presenting this as the great love story just bothered me. If both Deja and Malik looked the age they are supposed to be, wouldn't we be talking about the "older" man taking advantage of the "younger" woman?

Deja is 17 I think, and Malik is 18- give or take if they had their birthdays already. Tess was supposed to be born in 2008, but was 14 last season (the show doesnt exactly line up with real time, although each season is a year).Deja is a few years older than Tess.

Deja and Malik look fine together for me- he is just a smaller man. I do not see a big difference between them. Yes Deja has a more mature face, but that happens sometimes. I buy them both as teens (and IRL they are two years a part, with Lyric Ross at 18, and Asante Blackk at 20).

But I agree I would've appreciated a discussion about contraceptives- its rare to see condoms as props on TV. The only show that I remember consistently referencing condom use was the US Queer as Folk. We could've had Deja packing her bag with a contraceptive method inside, but that would've tipped off the viewers to where she was going.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Blakeston said:

When Kevin was driving like a madman to be by Madison's side when she gave birth, there was a moment when Rebecca said something that Kevin couldn't hear because the phone connection briefly dropped. She said something along the lines of, "As much as I loved your father, the truth is that there were times when..."

That makes me suspect that they're going to explore Jack's flaws at least a bit more before the series ends. In the episode before this one, there was some acknowledgement that Randall's savior complex is unhealthy, so I'm hoping they'll explore how Jack had the same issue, and passed it down to Randall.

This is a good observation and I hope that's the case.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Count me with the ones who aren't interested in the Deja/ Malik story.  Why, on a show known for great casting, would they bring on a young man who not only looks too young for Deja but is too small for her and, well, let's face it, not nearly as good looking as she is?  You just don't see that big a difference in real life very often.

Shallowness aside, why didn't they do something with their "first time" story?  When Malik was sitting on the bed looking nervous, I thought sure he was going to say he just couldn't risk getting a girl pregnant again.  He, of all people, should have been shown reaching for a condom.

On the other hand, I thought the awkward dinner at Sally's house was some of the best writing I've seen them do.  It was all so unexpected and real.  At first I thought it was unlikely they would have stayed for dinner, but then I thought, they must have figured, "we came all this way..."  I was happy for Sally getting a little romance in her life and for Nicky getting closure and Rebecca had lines that made her more real to me than ever before.  the first few seasons she just seemed like Jack's object of worship and I hadn't liked her as much.

Funny because I thought the awkward dinner at Sally's was not real at all.

I mean, your former partner shows of what, a nanosecond, shows up at your door, remembers things about the time you fucked, and you're now so touched by that you air out dirty laundry between you and your husband?  In front of virtual strangers Rebecca and Miguel?  

Maybe the "real" part of the convo to me was the aging talk between Sally and Rebecca, but everything else to me was just the usual This Is Us man syndrome.  Nicky, the romantic fool as every man in the Pearson circle seems to be, does a big gesture, does the Pearson "I remember everything" stuff!  Then intended romantic target falls all over herself comparing her husband with the romantic fool Pearson, but realizes she's stuck with her slug husband that isn't a Pearson who pays attention to every last detail!  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

But I agree I would've appreciated a discussion about contraceptives- its rare to see condoms as props on TV. The only show that I remember consistently referencing condom use was the US Queer as Folk. We could've had Deja packing her bag with a contraceptive method inside, but that would've tipped off the viewers to where she was going.

I can live with a show creating an universe where accidental pregnancies and STIs don't exist, but TIU decided back in season one not to go that route with Kate and Toby using condoms the first time they have sex.  Then it continues to show what can happen when you do not use protection with Kevin and Madison's ONS and Malik being a teenaged father.  So if the show forgoes having any scene or dialogue where Deja and Malik talk about contraception, then I have to assume they did not use any.  Show them stopping at the bodega picking some condoms up after leaving the club, or have Malik run to the store while Deja is getting ready or have Deja say she is already on the pill.  

• Love 13