Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: One Giant Leap

• Start Topic

On 1/13/2022 at 8:48 PM, Norma Desmond said:

Miguel is the man. I love him and I love his and Rebecca's love story. It feels much more real than the storybook whatever of Jack and Rebecca.

Maybe the difference is mature love in contrast to younger, more passionate love. 

• Love 6

Sometimes this show creates mysteries through the flash backs and flash forwards that don’t pay off. Either Fogelman forgets about them, gets bored with them or runs out of time. Case in point is the mysterious person exiting the car at the cabin for Rebecca’s deathbed scene. Unless they’re going to devote half of the remaining episodes to Nicky and the flight attendant’s relationship, there just isn’t enough time for the viewer to care about this woman or why it was so important for her to be there. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Sometimes this show creates mysteries through the flash backs and flash forwards that don’t pay off. Either Fogelman forgets about them, gets bored with them or runs out of time. Case in point is the mysterious person exiting the car at the cabin for Rebecca’s deathbed scene. Unless they’re going to devote half of the remaining episodes to Nicky and the flight attendant’s relationship, there just isn’t enough time for the viewer to care about this woman or why it was so important for her to be there. 

I have no need to see the Nicky/Edie love story play out.  We already knew Nicky gets married at some point, and now we know who.  To me, that storyline is wrapped up now, and the show can move on to tell the other stories, but I know this is a mileage may vary situation.  For some viewers, this is not enough.  I also think the actors sold the little material they got and I can fill in the dots myself.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have no need to see the Nicky/Edie love story play out.  We already knew Nicky gets married at some point, and now we know who.  To me, that storyline is wrapped up now, and the show can move on to tell the other stories

I agree; it’s enough for me to know that Nicky is happily married.  As a matter of fact, I will be quite unhappy if she gets an episode devoted to her story at this point.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I agree; it’s enough for me to know that Nicky is happily married.  As a matter of fact, I will be quite unhappy if she gets an episode devoted to her story at this point.

Me too.  At most, we need perhaps a scene or two of the two of them getting together and hitting it off.  Then, they can elope to Vegas offscreen.  It's enough for me that Nicky finds love and is happily married.  It's not like they're going to have kids and we already figure that the show is going to end on the night Rebecca dies; I don't need more information than what we've already seen.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Me too.  At most, we need perhaps a scene or two of the two of them getting together and hitting it off.  Then, they can elope to Vegas offscreen.  It's enough for me that Nicky finds love and is happily married.  It's not like they're going to have kids and we already figure that the show is going to end on the night Rebecca dies; I don't need more information than what we've already seen.

The next thing we know is that she's got kids from her previous marriage/relationship so the Big 3 now have step cousins.  Because, you know, everyone and everything on the show is somehow...connected.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

The next thing we know is that she's got kids from her previous marriage/relationship so the Big 3 now have step cousins.  Because, you know, everyone and everything on the show is somehow...connected.

Or, Edie and Randall and/or Beth bond and we have to have an episode about that, because reasons.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

That dinner was so awkward, but quite comedic so I am okay with it even if it is not all that realistic. 

Put me in the boat with everyone who could not care less about the Deja/Malik storyline. I also find Malik to look so young it takes me out of the story. I know he isn't 14 but he looks like it and it makes me cringe when watching. And it really doesn't have anything to do with his height. My father and my husband are both 5'5 and I have seen photos of them when they were 20 like the actor playing Malik is, and they never looked this young at that age.

I don't really understand all the Jack hate. Some people are actually good people and don't have a ton of character flaws. Some men are good husbands and fathers. Some people have wonderful marriages. I have seen nothing to show me otherwise with Jack. I actually love that he is just a good man. My great grandparents had that kind of love and my great grandfather was just a really good man. They do exist. I promise.

• Love 10

I enjoyed the episode.  Totally related to Rebecca and aging.  I am much younger than present day Rebecca but when Covid shut everything down and I couldn’t get my har colored at the salon I just stopped and didn’t go back to it.  I only have a few random strands of grey/white right now, but I had people in my life who were legit concerned for me.  They thought I was depressed or something.  Like, all I did was stop coloring my hair, I didn’t give up on life or anything.  But sometimes, that’s how it seems when a woman decides to embrace her age instead of running from it.  Age is not just a number.  Age is a real thing, and women do themselves a great disservice in denying it rather than embracing it.  Ok, let me just hop off my soapbox now ;)

I liked the focus on the “B” characters without the big three.  I’m also glad Rebecca acknowledged that she “struck gold twice”.  Her relationship with Jack is frozen in time, and of course it’s been idealized over the years as usually happens when a person dies.  Especially when that person is young and dies tragically.  Her relationship with Jack was very real, but so is her relationship with Miguel.  I am still holding out hope for a Rebecca/Miguel flashback but I’ll settle for them being cute and salsa dancing!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, marshmallows said:

I don't really understand all the Jack hate. Some people are actually good people and don't have a ton of character flaws. Some men are good husbands and fathers. Some people have wonderful marriages. I have seen nothing to show me otherwise with Jack. I actually love that he is just a good man. My great grandparents had that kind of love and my great grandfather was just a really good man. They do exist. I promise.

I don't hate Jack, but I do hate the rose-colored glasses through which all the other characters view him. He had a serious drinking problem, which could have easily ruined the lives of the entire family (when he drove drunk to Ohio to confront Rebecca's bandmate/ex-boyfriend). He refused to forgive Nicky for what happened in Vietnam and excluded him from the family for decades. He was a controlling husband, making major decisions unilaterally. He was overly indulgent with Kate, leaving her with no coping mechanisms after he died.

He was a flawed human being, but apparently nobody on the show is allowed to say that.

• Love 19
21 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

He was a flawed human being, but apparently nobody on the show is allowed to say that.

That is my problem as well.  I especially remember all the times he made Rebecca feel small, yet was celebrated for it.  That set me off him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't hate Jack, but I do hate the rose-colored glasses through which all the other characters view him. He had a serious drinking problem, which could have easily ruined the lives of the entire family (when he drove drunk to Ohio to confront Rebecca's bandmate/ex-boyfriend). He refused to forgive Nicky for what happened in Vietnam and excluded him from the family for decades. He was a controlling husband, making major decisions unilaterally. He was overly indulgent with Kate, leaving her with no coping mechanisms after he died.

See, I think the way they (mostly) see Jack with rose-coloured glasses is quite true to life and realistic. He was their hero and they lost him early, tragically, and when he was actually on his way to being his best self. We have  seen that Jack has flaws, has a certain amount of darkness in him, but he did his best to never let his kids down, to love them unconditionally, to love Rebecca the best he knew how, despite the lousy example he had himself. Of course they are going to remember mostly the good things. I think there have been at least a few times when each of them has acknowledged, if only internally, that their father (husband) wasn't perfect. It doesn't change how they felt about him, and it shouldn't, IMO.  Personally, I'd hate it if they chose to write it any other way now.

As for Nicky, I don't blame Jack for giving up on him.  Again, we've seen 'the other side of the story', but Jack didn't. Sometimes you have to do what you believe is best for yourself. And we also saw that Nicky had his chances to try and reconcile as well, but didn't.  From what we know of the character, I think maybe he would have relented, given more time, especially as the kids got older - and that only adds to the tragedy (and the story, for me).

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

See, I think the way they (mostly) see Jack with rose-coloured glasses is quite true to life and realistic. He was their hero and they lost him early, tragically, and when he was actually on his way to being his best self. We have  seen that Jack has flaws, has a certain amount of darkness in him, but he did his best to never let his kids down, to love them unconditionally, to love Rebecca the best he knew how, despite the lousy example he had himself. Of course they are going to remember mostly the good things. I think there have been at least a few times when each of them has acknowledged, if only internally, that their father (husband) wasn't perfect. It doesn't change how they felt about him, and it shouldn't, IMO.  Personally, I'd hate it if they chose to write it any other way now.

As for Nicky, I don't blame Jack for giving up on him.  Again, we've seen 'the other side of the story', but Jack didn't. Sometimes you have to do what you believe is best for yourself. And we also saw that Nicky had his chances to try and reconcile as well, but didn't.  From what we know of the character, I think maybe he would have relented, given more time, especially as the kids got older - and that only adds to the tragedy (and the story, for me).

Not to start an argument here, but Jack didn't just "give up" on Nicky; he hid his existence from Rebecca and lied to other people about him being DEAD.  Also, Nicky sent postcards for years to Jack that went unanswered.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Not to start an argument here, but Jack didn't just "give up" on Nicky; he hid his existence from Rebecca and lied to other people about him being DEAD.  Also, Nicky sent postcards for years to Jack that went unanswered.

Either way, he did what he needed to do for himself. It's  kind of funny that people don't want him to be St. Jack, but when he does things less than saintly, they don't  like that either.  I don't think they've tried to say he was right to cut Nicky out of his life. I just don't  have the same kind of sympathy for Nicky that some do. He made all his own choices before and after his brother gave up on him. I'm glad how things have turned out, and I like Nicky, but Nicky's life was not Jack's fault 

• Love 2

I'm thinking that it's time for Rebecca to stop bringing up Jack in their conversations.  She has been married to Miguel longer than she was to Jack.  Kind of reminds of Valerie Bertinelli and her obsession with her ex. Eddie Van Halen.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, chocolatine said:

My step dad has a serious drinking problem. If he died today, I wouldn't see him any differently tomorrow. He has been an amazing step dad to me and husband to my mom. He is flawed and not perfect, but no one is. He tries to do better and has been sober for like 4 years or so. Jack's drinking may have caused some problems but nothing incredibly major. 

As for Nicky, he went off the deep end and Jack did what he thought was best for his family at the time. Not saying it was right, but I understand where he is coming from. This is similar to Rebecca's decision to keep Randall from his biological father.

I would need an example of Jack being controlling because I do not see it. 

And Rebecca babied Randall too much. People make mistakes. It doesn't negate the fact that Jack was a good father and Rebecca is a good mother. 

Everyone is flawed and to say otherwise is ridiculous. I don't think anyone is saying Jack isn't flawed. But, he was also a good father, husband, and overall person. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, cameron said:

I'm thinking that it's time for Rebecca to stop bringing up Jack in their conversations.  She has been married to Miguel longer than she was to Jack.  Kind of reminds of Valerie Bertinelli and her obsession with her ex. Eddie Van Halen.  

I'll have to disagree about being married longer to Miguel.  Can't remember what year they were married, but the Big 3 were seniors in high school when he died.  And we know they reconnect on line when Randall is a new father.  But yes, no need to constantly bring up your 1st husband to your 2nd husband.  I'm sure Rebecca and Miguel had that conversation ad nauseum about Jack when they either transitioned from friendship to relationship or proposal, but after years of marriage time to put that part of your life on the backburner

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

I'll have to disagree about being married longer to Miguel.  Can't remember what year they were married, but the Big 3 were seniors in high school when he died.  And we know they reconnect on line when Randall is a new father.  But yes, no need to constantly bring up your 1st husband to your 2nd husband.  I'm sure Rebecca and Miguel had that conversation ad nauseum about Jack when they either transitioned from friendship to relationship or proposal, but after years of marriage time to put that part of your life on the backburner

I don't know (or care) about the math either, but yes, I agree that Rebecca needs to lay off mentioning Jack in the presence of Miguel all the time.  Live in the present!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, cameron said:

Jack and Rebecca were probably married for about 20 years when he died.  Rebecca and Miguel reconnected in 2008 so as of 2022, they couldn’t have been married for more than 13 years.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, PRgal said:

Jack and Rebecca were probably married for about 20 years when he died.  Rebecca and Miguel reconnected in 2008 so as of 2022, they couldn’t have been married for more than 13 years.  

He's also the father of their kids just as Eddie was the father of Valerie's only child.

Jack was also Miguel's best friend for many years and I cannot imagine Miguel begrudging Jack coming up in conversation. But for Jack, he never would have met Rebecca. But for his death, he wouldn't be married to her now.

I highly doubt Rebecca talks about him all day long or during, say, their salsa lessons.

That would be like my late brother's then-fiance (who is still one of my closest friends) never talking about him, to their son (my nephew), me, his other family members etc. Her husband knew my brother as they worked at the same company and even though they weren't close friends like Jack and Miguel, he has never had a single issue with my brother being discussed or pictures of him with her and my nephew (or him with my nephew) being in their home. If he had, she wouldn't have married him and rightfully so.

That they were very much in love and about to be married (or long-married in Rebecca and Jack's case) and shared a child takes nothing away from the later relationship whatsoever.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Jack was also Miguel's best friend for many years and I cannot imagine Miguel begrudging Jack coming up in conversation. But for Jack, he never would have met Rebecca. But for his death, he wouldn't be married to her now.

If you go back to the car scene when they are heading to meet Sally, Rebecca mentions “If Jack could see us now,” and Miguel gives a big smile at the thought.  I think he is more than fine to talk about Jack.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

If you go back to the car scene when they are heading to meet Sally, Rebecca mentions “If Jack could see us now,” and Miguel gives a big smile at the thought.  I think he is more than fine to talk about Jack.

A smile or a smirk.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2022 at 12:09 PM, CountryGirl said:

And, unlike Rebecca, I used to think if I had a  convertible my hair would blow sexily in the wind like on TV.  Then I got a sports car and my hair was always a tangled mess if I had the top down.

We had a convertible car for a few years. I hated going to events like weddings with the top down because either I had to wear scarves or hats to keep my hair looking reasonably good, or end up with crazy hair and no way to fix it when we arrived. My husband, of course, loved driving with the top down every time. So glad when that car went!

Edited by KittyQ
Clarified who I was talking about.
  • Love 1

A few other thoughts about this episode:

The summer of 1969 had a few notable events all within about a month:

• Woodstock
  • Chappaquiddick
  • Moon landing
  • Manson murders

The other thing I noticed was that many of the love / relationship scenes or reminiscences involved red floral dresses for the women. I specifically recall that Deja's new dress was red with flowers and Rebecca was wearing a red floral dress with Jack, and I think that Nicky mentioned Sally wearing red floral dress (?). 

• Love 1
On 1/13/2022 at 9:27 PM, bettername2come said:

I'm gonna be ooga-chocka-ing for the the next month. May as well watch Guardians of the Galaxy now that it's stuck in my head anyway. 

Just watched it last week!

• Love 2

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but...last season we had tackled the COVID situation pretty hardcore with masks and births with only 1 person in the room & mentions of being vaccinated. This year, TIU has seemingly forgotten all about COVID. Are they giving up on the virus like the rest of the world seems to be? Deja sitting on the public transportation system chatting up an elderly woman inches from her face?  That's not really a reality yet -I mean...right? 

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place. Maybe this belongs in the forum for logistics and time period references etc . 

I just felt like they could deal with this a little as it applies to reality we're in. They get relief in the future time period & the past.

They seem to be dealing with the fact it's the final season plenty by having multiple characters reference "look where we were 5 years ago." It was annoying. I mean who references where they were as an entire family 5 years ago unless something major happened legit 5 years ago?  

On 1/23/2022 at 12:37 PM, KittyQ said:

We had a convertible car for a few years. I hated going to events like weddings with the top down because either I had to wear scarves or hats to keep my hair looking reasonably good, or end up with crazy hair and no way to fix it when we arrived. My husband, of course, loved driving with the top down every time. So glad when that car went!

I am a sucker for a convertible.  Never owned one, but love to drive in them.  Luckily I have hair that has never done what it’s supposed to ever, no matter how much product or hairspray is involved, so ready excuse of top down?  Yes please.

When I would go out with friends in college, the girls hated me because the guys would ask about top down and  pretend to hear only my “sure” over their protests.

3 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Deja sitting on the public transportation system chatting up an elderly woman inches from her face?  That's not really a reality yet -I mean...right? 

I went to church and to the store today and it was like Covid had never happened. I do know there is a mask requirement for public transportation, but where I live hardly anyone uses the bus.

Edited by Constant Viewer
  • Love 1