Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: One Giant Leap

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Trillian said:

That bothered me too.  I hope they don’t go down the road of Deja pregnant, although it would be more plausible than the usual TV trope of the medical doctor who not only doesn’t think to use contraception but then doesn’t figure out she’s pregnant until she starts fainting or throwing up (I’m looking at you, Grey’s Anatomy, among others).

The show has already had enough unplanned pregnancy storylines that there is no where narratively they can go without it being a retread or ridiculous.  If Deja does get pregnant she has three choices--abortion (already seen that with Kate), adoption (a nonstarter with Randall), or keeping the baby while still finishing school (Malik is already doing that, no way he can stay at Harvard with two kids).

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Which is fine at 25.  From what I have heard, there is no right time for a woman who wants to be both a doctor and a mother to have her children.  As long as she is in a loving and committed relationship with the baby's father, Deja being pregnant at that point in her life is not necessarily a bad thing. 

I didn't say it was a bad thing, I simply stated that the flash-forward shows that she is pregnant, in addition to being in med school. 

1 hour ago, Boo Boo said:

I really wish the writers would hire actual teens to write the dialogue for the teenage romances.  I cannot imagine a teenager seeing his girlfriend in a dress and the word he uses is "incandescent."  

sterling k.png

Edited by Jillybean
Flash-forward, not flashback.
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2

I found the Deja and Malik story to be pretty dull, but I really liked the story with Nicky. Sad that it didn't go the way he wanted, but he did manage to get closure with Sally and it led him to meet the woman he ends up marrying in the future. I am glad that she is just a person he met and she isn't some person we already know and its a "shocking" twist. She's just a cool lady Nicky vibed with on a plane after he realized that he had to let go of Sally. I do hope that we can check in with her again at some point, I really got invested in her in her one episode, I hope that she can eventually start taking pictures of herself again. 

I know that Deja is one of the shows favorite characters, but while we were stuck watching her and Malik's awkward teen love, I kept wondering what poor Annie was up to. Instead of yet another Deja story, why couldn't we get more of her? I guess she is too young to have a road trip story, but maybe they could have just focused on her exploring the city after sneaking out and then coming home instead of yet another Deja and Malik story. I also feel like the writers don't know much about college, I am pretty sure that Malik would be in student housing if he's at Harvard, and he cant be the only student with a kid who has ever been there, I am sure they would figure something out for him. In fact, its a bit frustrating, there are a lot of financial resources for students with kids or are having financial issues, especially at a school like Harvard, he might have struggles but he has other options when it comes to finances at the very least. I like Deja fine, I don't love her as much as the writers do but she's fine, but I get annoyed at how she gets so much attention at the expense of other characters. 

"Now I'm gonna go before I throw up." I love Nicky, then assuring Sally and her husband that Miguel didn't "snake" his dead brothers wife, he was in great form all episode. I really liked the conversations about getting older, its not something you hear a lot on television, and I thought it was really sad when Rebecca said that she felt bad that Miguel didn't get her best years. I think Miguel would very much disagree. Then we got a lot of great Miguel and Rebecca scenes, the ending especially was so sweet, he really is a great guy. Rebecca losing her memories is heartbreaking, but it has at least given as a lot of time for Miguel and Rebecca to shine as a couple. 

• Love 24

I understand Sally not filling out her facebook profile to say she is married, but why not give some indication that she is married after Rebecca said that Nicky had been pining for her all these years? Just a polite laugh and, "I'm married now, but I'd love to reminisce," to save that super awkward moment. But anyway, the plot device did give Rebecca, Miguel and Nicky some great scenes.

I feel like the writers' decision to send Malik to Harvard was nothing more than, 'we want to show that he's really smart, so...Harvard, of course. We'll have him go to Harvard.'

Edited by brokenwing29
  • Love 18
45 minutes ago, kili said:

Why does somebody who wants to be a top chef taking Russian Literature? 

Why is he taking it in his first semester at all? I was an English Literature major and I didn't take such specific lit classes until later. My first semester I had Freshman Composition and other basic non-major classes that freshman take. For the first semester they just gave us our schedule (we didn't pick our own classes until the second semester) and our only option was to drop something if we didn't want it (I dropped a swimming class they put me in). None of them were classes you would only expect a major in that department to take. I doubt there are many non-Lit majors choosing to take Russian lit as an elective.

My school required freshmen to live on campus, unless you were a commuter, which meant you had an already-established local address for at least a certain amount of time (a year, I think). You couldn't just get an apartment in town and call yourself a commuter. (And even upperclassmen rarely lived off-campus, but we were in a small town and there weren't a lot of options.)

I just looked at Harvard's website and there is apartment-style housing available (and it says it "appeals to" students with families), but that it is in high demand and not guaranteed so I can see how a unit is unlikely to be available for a freshman. Didn't see anything else about family housing.

18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I kept wondering what poor Annie was up to.

It bugs me that at the beginning of season six, we still know next to nothing about a kid who has been there since the first episode, but we get tons of time with the adopted foster kid who came along in season 2. Not that she shouldn't be considered part of the family, but why did they give them a second bio kid if she was going to be little more than set dressing?

7 minutes ago, brokenwing29 said:

I feel like the writers' decision to send Malik to Harvard was nothing more than, 'we want to show that he's really smart, so...Harvard, of course. We'll have him go to Harvard.'

I mean, it's not like Philly has an Ivy League School right there in the city or anything...

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 3
  • Love 15
30 minutes ago, kili said:

Why does somebody who wants to be a top chef taking Russian Literature? Malik is all over the place with his education. It's nice to go to Harvard, but he's juggling chain saws at this point. He wants to be a chef, there are more direct paths to that destination than killing yourself taking courses that will not help while struggling to make ends meet and raising a child. 

That one also through me for a loop.  I don't know about Harvard's curriculum, but Russian literature does not seem right for a freshman in the fall semester.  Your first semester is all about taking your general education credits and whatever the school designs for new students.  I know it's Harvard and all that jazz, but the school is committed possibly even more than your regular state university to make sure students succeed.  Russian literature is not an entry level literature course suitable for freshman, I can't see any advisor being okay with that choice.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, js9548 said:

This was probably covered last season during the flashforward, but who does Randall greet outside at the cabin?

Deja and Annie, who traveled there together. Randall picked up Tess at her workplace in Newark and they traveled together; Beth left from her studio in (likely) Philly and traveled with the tailless donkey: she is already inside. Edie then arrives on the heels of Deja and Annie, and is greeted by Randall, Deja, Annie and Nicky. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

Malik to me looks like he's 15.  I don't know why.  Is he suppose to be playing 21 year old?

Assante Blackk, the actor who plays him, is 20 years old.  Doesn't look it, though.  Meanwhile, the actress playing Deja, Lyric Ross, is 18 and looks older.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

CTV.ca also calls it "One Giant Leap."  I guess that's the correct title.   

It also makes more sense, given Nicky and Deja's leaps of faith, and all the moon references. Nicky even specifically mentioned that they were 'walking on the moon' at the same time he and Sally were hooking up.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Shermie said:

I don't understand the hate for Jack. He's an integral part of Rebecca's life, as well as the three kids. Her memories are going to include him.

Of course. I love that Rebecca has made a life with Miguel, but if Jack were to have lived, I don't doubt that they would still be married and deeply in love. I'm sure we will get more of the Rebecca/Miguel story in the 16 remaining episodes this season. 

• Love 1

Sally Brooks seems like it would be a very common name yet of course Nicky found her via social media when the only thing she had on her instagram were ducks. Of course it was the right Sally and not some random person because it's This Is Us. 

I loved how Nicky just assumed she'd be single even though he hasn't seen her in 50 years. Like it's not a shocking revelation that she would be married. It's pretty likely. But ALL the Pearson's think they are owed everything and everyone.

Edited by Jax7917
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Shermie said:

I do agree that I'd like to see how Rebecca and Miguel got together, how they went from friends to lovers and got past the notion of "betraying Jack", which would be a common thought.

I feel like we did see this; that 10 years had passed from Jack's death to being with Miquel etc.?  Does that sound familiar to anyone?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Admittedly I half hate watch this show at this point so don't always pay the best attention, but is Jennifer living in Boston? I know that she wanted to be back in their kid's life, but Malik seemed to randomly go to Harvard so is that also where she (and her parents?) live now, too?   

• Love 3

Fun fact: my husband walked in as I was watching the part where Rebecca and Sally were talking and I asked him how old he thought Rebecca was and he said 40. They are not doing a good job aging her.

I think something dramatic will happen with Deja. Maybe she gets pregnant. Or else what was the purpose of showing this trip and them having sex for the first time?

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, HappyHanna said:

Admittedly I half hate watch this show at this point so don't always pay the best attention, but is Jennifer living in Boston? I know that she wanted to be back in their kid's life, but Malik seemed to randomly go to Harvard so is that also where she (and her parents?) live now, too?   

Yes, I think that is why Malik chose Boston for school; she wanted to see  the baby and he needed help with child care.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

I feel like we did see this; that 10 years had passed from Jack's death to being with Miquel etc.?  Does that sound familiar to anyone?

They reconnected on Facebook after Tess was born (Rebecca joined so she could see baby pictures and stuff) but I don't think they've really shown us how/why they lost touch or what happened between their initial FB messages and getting married. 

Randall was 28 when she was born so, yes, it was roughly 10 years after Jack died.

• Love 10

I think the only reason they established that Jennifer was in Boston was so that they could explain Malik choosing Harvard. Because, after all, Television Law requires that all smart people go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford or MIT. Cornell would have been a good choice for Malik, with its world-famous hospitality program, but sadly it's not on the approved list.

I think the main problem with the Deja/Malik romance is that the writers are so concerned about showing us how upstanding and inspirational they both are, that they haven't fleshed out their personalities very well. For us to be invested in them as a couple, there needs to be something fun about their dynamic. And listening to their dialogue is like watching paint dry, as Phillip would say.

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I think the only reason they established that Jennifer was in Boston was so that they could explain Malik choosing Harvard. Because, after all, Television Law requires that all smart people go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford or MIT. Cornell would have been a good choice for Malik, with its world-famous hospitality program, but sadly it's not on the approved list.

I think the main problem with the Deja/Malik romance is that the writers are so concerned about showing us how upstanding and inspirational they both are, that they haven't fleshed out their personalities very well. For us to be invested in them as a couple, there needs to be something fun about their dynamic. And listening to their dialogue is like watching paint dry, as Phillip would say.

Yep, they both seem middle aged.   I don't see any sparks, no sense of fun, no youthfulness to either individually or as a couple.  Rebecca and Miguel are far 'younger' in their interactions as a couple.

There are also multiple excellent culinary schools in that part of the country where Malik could've gone since he seems pretty locked in on his future career.  The writers on this show seem to have no imagination.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 13
24 minutes ago, himela said:

Or else what was the purpose of showing this trip and them having sex for the first time?

To tell two stories about young love in the Pearson family and how "it changes you," as the stranger on the bus mused to Deja. Two different young couples -- Sally and Nicky; Deja and Malik -- more than 50 years apart. With a nod, too, to young Jack and Rebecca as recalled by the survivor, for whom the closing lyrics of the opening song have more meanings than one: "September, I'll remember/A love once new has now grown old."

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Or University of Pennsylvania, the Ivy League University located in the city in which he lives and has family support...

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, himela said:

Fun fact: my husband walked in as I was watching the part where Rebecca and Sally were talking and I asked him how old he thought Rebecca was and he said 40. They are not doing a good job aging her.

Interesting  you mention that. During that scene Rebecca referred to "10 years ago, back when we were in our sixties" or something like that, and I thought, wait, they're supposed to be in their 70s? I was not thinking of those two women, or Miguel for that matter, as being that old.  The makeup is pretty good but I get lost in the timeline on this show and wasn't thinking that age range yet.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Sally Brooks seems like it would be a very common name yet of course Nicky found her via social media when the only thing she had on her instagram were ducks. Of course it was the right Sally and not some random person because it's This Is Us. 

Every TV show does this.  Just Google a name, any name, and you will immediately find the person you are looking for.  You will also immediately find his/her address.  This is no different than the bartenders on Law and Order having perfect recall and can immediately find the receipt for the drinks purchased.  Also, don't get me started on how TV shows use microfilm.  It is what it is.  TV shows don't want to spend the time showing the hours of research, they only want to show the results with as little effort as possible.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

Interesting  you mention that. During that scene Rebecca referred to "10 years ago, back when we were in our sixties" or something like that, and I thought, wait, they're supposed to be in their 70s? I was not thinking of those two women, or Miguel for that matter, as being that old.  The makeup is pretty good but I get lost in the timeline on this show and wasn't thinking that age range yet.

Jack was born in 1944 (I always remember this because my mom was born the same year). Rebecca was born in 1950.

1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

This is no different than the bartenders on Law and Order having perfect recall and can immediately find the receipt for the drinks purchased. 

They're always in a box on a shelf behind the bar, for some reason.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

When did Jeffrey Nordling become "old?" I thought he's in his 50s. Last time I saw him on a show a few years ago (Big Little Lies), his character was married to Laura Dern's character. At first I thought Sally married her husband later in life and he was a lot younger than her, but then she said something about them meeting when they were both young.

The dinner was so cringeworthy, but I loved how Sally and her husband just rolled with it.

I was surprised to see Malik living in such a shabby apartment, I thought he got a full ride with campus housing? Still not buying him as Harvard material, he just doesn't seem particularly smart or eloquent. This was already too much Deja, and after Randall inevitably finds out that she lied to him, there will be even more Deja, ugh. She/the actress has no charisma whatsoever.

Nice to finally get some details on Miguel and Rebecca's backstory, but I feel shortchanged that it was just told and not shown. It's like Fogelman et al. wanted to show us that they read the comments, but couldn't be bothered to shoot some flashback scenes.

ETA:

She played Veronica's mother on Shameless.

Apologies if this has already been answered. They did show this in an earlier season. Miquel was, of course, a close friend of Jack's, so Rebecca has known him a long time.  Sometime after Jack's death, it showed them reconnecting online (Facebook maybe??). If I remember correctly, Rebecca discovered him online and contacted him first. I could be wrong about that last detail - it's been a while since I viewed that episode.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, himela said:

I've never been crazy about how they've "aged" Mandy Moore ~ she looks dowdy and uptight, with her super-straight bob of an unflattering strawberry-blonde color, and baggy cardigans.  Even when she was newly widowed (and of course she was much younger then), her hair and face had some life to them.  But I really could see the contrast between the almost-38-year-old Mandy, supposed to be 70, and 67-year-old Dey Young (Sally).  Sally looked so much more vibrant than Rebecca.  Interesting how they aged Mandy Moore and Jon Huertas for their roles, but hired an older actor to play Nicky.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Shermie said:

Diane Keaton has been hiding her neck behind scarves and turtlenecks for 30 years. It's because older women are invisible in society. When the hair is grey, they're considered old hags, unlike grey haired men who are called silver foxes. Again can make the complexion more sallow so they add some colour with lipstick. It's not about being focused on appearance; it's about wanting to be seen.

I don't understand the hate for Jack. He's an integral part of Rebecca's life, as well as the three kids. Her memories are going to include him.

I do agree that I'd like to see how Rebecca and Miguel got together, how they went from friends to lovers and got past the notion of "betraying Jack", which would be a common thought.

I find Milo's acting and voice irritating, so that's part of the reason I can't stand seeing Jack scenes. 

The other reason I hate Jack scenes is I know it's going to be some big, romantic gesture scene;  some super hero dad moment; or some long speech.  He had what, a couple of episodes where he wasn't super human?   '

I feel like this show often portrays men as these romantic fools whose biggest imperfection is they'll do anything for the women they love!  Or they help people too much!  Women of the show, however, are such complex creatures.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I wondered the same thing.  So weird!!

Other than Deja and M., I really enjoyed this ep, for the first time in quite a while. No Kate--yehhhh!  Only 1 minute of Randal!!  Some of the scenes at Sally's house were priceless.  Maybe they hired new writers??!  That must be it!! Of course TPTB forced more Jack on us.  And, unlike Rebecca, I used to think if I had a  convertible my hair would blow sexily in the wind like on TV.  Then I got a sports car and my hair was always a tangled mess if I had the top down.  Guess I should have worn a doo rag!!!

LOL, me, too, but I always end up looking like this:

hyIE-H.gif

12 hours ago, nilyank said:

I don't think he could bring his daughter to live with him at campus housing. I get that Harvard is a big deal but he told Randall that he wants to be a Top Michelin Chef and open his own restaurant. He should have gone to culinary school. When he said that Deja looks incandescent, he sounded like that was the first time he ever said/heard the word.

It was probably from his paper.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, brokenwing29 said:

This is honestly a big pet peeve of mine, I hate that television acts like there are only about five colleges in the entire country, which are also some of the most exclusive schools you could apply to. They only pick these schools because of name recognition, not because they make any sense for the characters to actually go there. It would make way more sense for him to go to the Culinary Institute of America in New York if they want to show him as being a future best chef ever, Harvard has a program but its not really what its best known for. God forbid he go to a school that has a strong cooking program but isn't a TV famous Ivy League school. Its so annoying because not only does it not make sense, it gives students this idea that they have to go to these very fancy schools or else there are no other options, when in reality there are tons of amazing schools that aren't Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, places the overwhelming percent of people do not go. But writers just think "smart people=Ivy league" so we get every damn character on TV going to Harvard, Yale, maybe MIT if they have a engineering interest, even if it would make more sense for them to go somewhere else. There is also always this element of classism, where only these "elite" schools are seen as good enough for our protagonists, not the "lame" or "back up" schools that aren't on TV all the time, schools that in the real world students would be thrilled to attend. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 21
35 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

I find Milo's acting and voice irritating, so that's part of the reason I can't stand seeing Jack scenes. 

The other reason I hate Jack scenes is I know it's going to be some big, romantic gesture scene;  some super hero dad moment; or some long speech.  He had what, a couple of episodes where he wasn't super human?   '

I feel like this show often portrays men as these romantic fools whose biggest imperfection is they'll do anything for the women they love!  Or they help people too much!  Women of the show, however, are such complex creatures.

Is it possible for a character to be overwritten? I've never heard that adjective applied to a character, but I sometimes get that feeling about Milo Ventimiglia's Jack. They use him so much in the constant flashbacks to motivate or put in context what is going on in the present that his character feels overbuilt and forced. To me anyway.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Rebky said:

Apologies if this has already been answered. They did show this in an earlier season. Miquel was, of course, a close friend of Jack's, so Rebecca has known him a long time.  Sometime after Jack's death, it showed them reconnecting online (Facebook maybe??). If I remember correctly, Rebecca discovered him online and contacted him first. I could be wrong about that last detail - it's been a while since I viewed that episode.

Miguel messaged her first, but we never saw him in that flashback, and no flashbacks of the two of them since then. My gripe is that we're just supposed to imagine what happened after that first Facebook message, whereas with the Malik and Deja relationship we're beaten over the head with every minute detail. It seems that TPTB doesn't understand which couple the audience is more invested in.

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It seems that TPTB doesn't understand which couple the audience is more invested in.

It's especially annoying because them as a couple was part of the big reveal of the first episode, but we still know almost nothing about how they got there.

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, watcher1006 said:

Is it possible for a character to be overwritten? I've never heard that adjective applied to a character, but I sometimes get that feeling about Milo Ventimiglia's Jack. They use him so much in the constant flashbacks to motivate or put in context what is going on in the present that his character feels overbuilt and forced. To me anyway.

YES.  I completely agree.

His character is overwritten, overwrought.

And really, other than a couple of episodes where he was drinking too much, too jealous, isn't nearly every scene with Jack one in which he's right about something.  Or the people around him marvelling about how he was right about everything.  The God-like qualities they give of Jack are irritating.

What I had really hoped from the show was that while the characters speak glowingly of him as the super hero husband, super hero dad, super hero friend, best guys ever, that the show would make it clear that these are people that are mourning the loss and therefore glossing over Jack's issues -- you know the not speaking ill of the dead, everyone becomes a saint when they are dead.  Instead, they gave us a couple of episodes of him dealing with a serious problem, a very short separation, and then it's back to being super dad Jack who conquered alcoholism in a very short period of time.  

Jack's flaws on the show only seem to be that he had an awful childhood so therefore he was once a drunk!  Or that he tries too had to make everyone happy.  

And also annoys me that aside from a couple of episodes, the Jack and Rebecca love story is far too perfect to be believable.  

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This is honestly a big pet peeve of mine, I hate the television acts like there are only about five colleges in the entire country, which are also some of the most exclusive schools you could apply to. They only pick these schools because of name recognition, not because they make any sense for the characters to actually go there. It would make way more sense for him to go to the Culinary Institute of America in New York if they want to show him as being a future best chef ever, Harvard has a program but its not really what its best known for. Or, god forbid, a school that has a strong cooking program but isn't a TV famous Ivy League school. Its so annoying because not only does it not make sense, it gives students this idea that they have to go to these very fancy schools or else there are no other options, when in reality there are tons of amazing schools that aren't Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, places the overwhelming percent of people do not go. But writers just think "smart people=Ivy league" so we get every damn character on TV going to Harvard, Yale, maybe MIT if they have a engineering interest, even if it would make more sense for them to go somewhere else. 

This is a big pet peeve of mine too. The show acted like it was so selfless of Randall to stay close to home right after Jack died. Like it was some huge sacrifice to go to Carnegie Mellon! In real life people are thrilled to get into Carnegie Mellon.

The only thing that annoys me more is when shows invent some school that was never mentioned before where every character goes. Looking at you Beverly Hills 90210 and Fresh Prince of Bel Air. And Saved By the Bell did both! Zach Morris got into Yale, but then ended up at Made Up University with everyone else. I think on Fresh Prince Carlton did go to Princeton eventually, but I may be remembering that wrong. So that show did both cliches too.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

YES.  I completely agree.

His character is overwritten, overwrought.

And really, other than a couple of episodes where he was drinking too much, too jealous, isn't nearly every scene with Jack one in which he's right about something.  Or the people around him marvelling about how he was right about everything.  The God-like qualities they give of Jack are irritating.

What I had really hoped from the show was that while the characters speak glowingly of him as the super hero husband, super hero dad, super hero friend, best guys ever, that the show would make it clear that these are people that are mourning the loss and therefore glossing over Jack's issues -- you know the not speaking ill of the dead, everyone becomes a saint when they are dead.  Instead, they gave us a couple of episodes of him dealing with a serious problem, a very short separation, and then it's back to being super dad Jack who conquered alcoholism in a very short period of time.  

Jack's flaws on the show only seem to be that he had an awful childhood so therefore he was once a drunk!  Or that he tries too had to make everyone happy.  

And also annoys me that aside from a couple of episodes, the Jack and Rebecca love story is far too perfect to be believable.  

The show was going there with regards to Jack not being the perfect husband/father/brother, but pulled back.  I really think NBC put some pressure on the showrunners to ease up on showing Jack Pearson's clay feet.  Networks listen to the fans on Facebook or Twitter more than those of us on snark sites.  And people love St. Jack over there.  The network used random Twitter users in their promos for this season.  That is their audience.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I see Kevin as being the one most like Jack - substance abuse problems, over the top gestures, never really dealing with who he is but instead trying to be a people pleaser. Now he'll be the one to complete Jack's legacy by building that cabin Jack wanted to build.

Of course we've seen him as more of a flawed, fleshed out character than Jack. But oddly, his never getting as much attention as the other two causes him to end up like the parent he most wanted attention and approval from. So maybe Kevin fleshes out Jack more for us. 

• Love 12

I enjoyed most of the episode, the dinner party from hell, especially, and we finally get Mrs, Nicky!/Edie (and the answer to the nagging question "Who's in the white car?") I loved their meet-cute with a newly-confident Nicky getting his flirt on.

Nicky made me laugh so hard with his version of SNL's Game of Thrones' Jon Snow at the dinner table.

Sally: "How's Jack?"

Nicky: "He's dead."

Sally's Husband: "Bourbon?"

Nicky: "I'm an alcoholic." (And LOL to Miguel's deadpan, "Yes...he is.")

But this was very sweet from Nicky, who clearly still suffers from hero-worship of Jack.

897a574f7cccacf55f0f37e09bb94544a2c13e4cef562a1ec111e4104542b5eb1646f4268d5c3041

443d905ec08f7f79e3637b056431d119620fd5aa

But then the "Now, I'm gonna go before I throw up!"

I could not care less about Malik and Deja. He does look younger than her and also a little bit like a parakeet (I can't unsee it not) and I think Deja's character development has stunted with this subplot. I would be very surprised if they ended up together and nice guy or not, Harvard "man" (man is debatable given he looks like a kid) or not, Deja has had a tough road of it already and doesn't need to be saddled with a teenage dad, his toddler, and his obvious baby-mama drama at her age. I also have to wonder if Deja's seeming to push just a bit on the sex angle wasn't because she felt the tiniest bit threatened by said baby-mama. She looked noticeably uncomfortable seeing her, even before Jennifer fixed her mouth to chew-out Malik. 

And I can't stop laughing now at him calling Deja "incandescent."

39b264afca66d3aa333fcc1bb465a73c104577ba

I enjoyed seeing a few more slivers of the Rebecca/Miguel relationship. Rebecca's comment that "I struck gold twice." ❤️

I do think his comment about being "amazing for her every step of the way" means he's cannon fodder aka will be dead by the time of the flash forward. I'm hoping we get more of them in the next episodes. Them dancing again was adorable.

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

In real life people are thrilled to get into Carnegie Mellon.

Yes, and I imagine Randall was too. But he was also a Black youth raised by and among white people, who had his heart set on going to an Historically Black College. It was Howard that Randall planned to attend, not Harvard. He'd already fought for that with Jack. And at 18, lots of kids -- maybe most kids -- would not want to choose their college based solely on its being closest to their lonely mother. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Tango64 said:
2 hours ago, himela said:

Interesting  you mention that. During that scene Rebecca referred to "10 years ago, back when we were in our sixties" or something like that, and I thought, wait, they're supposed to be in their 70s?

I am torn on this because if I posted a photo of my mother here, y’all would guess forever and never say 90.  She sat in a doctor’s examination room for awhile when a doctor walked in, took one look at her and apologized before walking out.  She sat for another 5 minutes before he came back and apologized again before saying, “I am supposed to be seeing —.”  Mom said yes.  He said, “No, she is 85.”  Mom said yes again.  They both started to laugh.  I’m also a little sad because I found myself grumbling that they had her on another boring cardigan, like that showed age, and then I remembered what I was wearing.  Oof.

I love finding out that Miguel and Rebecca’s wedding vows were in Spanish; that was such a sweet moment between them.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The show was going there with regards to Jack not being the perfect husband/father/brother, but pulled back.  I really think NBC put some pressure on the showrunners to ease up on showing Jack Pearson's clay feet.  Networks listen to the fans on Facebook or Twitter more than those of us on snark sites.  And people love St. Jack over there.  The network used random Twitter users in their promos for this season.  That is their audience.

YES.  Then there was the nauseating need to produce a tear jerk episode.  IIRC, the TIU used to play up the "Making you cry" stuff.  

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This is honestly a big pet peeve of mine, I hate that television acts like there are only about five colleges in the entire country, which are also some of the most exclusive schools you could apply to. They only pick these schools because of name recognition, not because they make any sense for the characters to actually go there. It would make way more sense for him to go to the Culinary Institute of America in New York if they want to show him as being a future best chef ever, Harvard has a program but its not really what its best known for. Or, god forbid, a school that has a strong cooking program but isn't a TV famous Ivy League school. Its so annoying because not only does it not make sense, it gives students this idea that they have to go to these very fancy schools or else there are no other options, when in reality there are tons of amazing schools that aren't Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, places the overwhelming percent of people do not go. But writers just think "smart people=Ivy league" so we get every damn character on TV going to Harvard, Yale, maybe MIT if they have a engineering interest, even if it would make more sense for them to go somewhere else. There is also always this element of classism, where only these "elite" schools are seen as good enough for our protagonists, not the "lame" or "back up" schools that aren't on TV all the time, schools that in the real world students would be thrilled to attend. 

Or Johnson and Wales in Rhode Island if they want him in New England and closer to Jennifer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, Pallas said:

Yes, but not if they're a Black youth raised by and only among white people, who had their heart set on going to an Historically Black College. It was Howard that Randall planned to attend, not Harvard. He'd already fought for that with Jack.

My comment wasn’t about him wanting to go to an HBCU, but more the narrative that the show was pushing. He wanted to go to Howard, but the show still had to show that he was so smart he could have gone to Harvard. Getting into Howard should be enough to prove he’s smart and can get into a very good school, because in real life going to Howard is very hard to do. But too often in TV Land schools like Carnegie Mellon, and to an even greater extent HBCUs, aren’t considered good enough for smart characters. I think that’s ridiculous, and that’s what I intended my comment to be about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
59 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

And see that is one of my most favorite parts of this show, Jack being the perfect husband and father.

• Love 5