Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E08: Couch Couture

• Start Topic

The designers are challenged to solve one of fashion's eternal struggles: if comfortable can really be chic; there's nothing comfortable about designing for a one day challenge with a surprise visit from Geoffrey Mac and Cyndi Lauper.

Original air date: December 9, 2021

• Useful 1

I liked Kristina, Bones  and AAron's looks best. Shantal's was nice too. I don't know if  anyone would really wear   them to  work from home and maybe run out on an errand.

Zayden's look would have been more impressive on a  model that wasn't plus sized, unfortunately for him. Everyone needs fashions and to be considered by designers and clothing companies... it's true, but it's just a fact that  a light colored body conscious jumpsuit is hard to wear and look well in if you're not slim and fit.

It would be very interesting to see Chasity's garment fitted to and modeled by Zayden's model and Zayden's garment fitted to and modeled by Didi.

Anna's  taupey brown spagetti strap dress and robe with train that was in the safe category  didn't seem to fit the challenge. Same with Anna's sparkly whatever that was.

I tried to rock with Octavio after his strong showing in ep 1 with the red 3 pc look and I even liked the voluminous black gown that garnered all the "garbage bags tied  together"  and "charred bell pepper" critiques... but honestly he's lost the plot. He can go back to Octavio's one trick,  comically disproportioned world.

What? Zayden is going home too? He was robbed!!!

• Love 11

I thought it was funny when Octavio said that he and Geoffrey ran in the same circles & dressed the same people.  Um, I don't really buy that. Then when the judges were questioning his look, he started to get pissy.  Time to go!

• Love 11
1 minute ago, WaltersHair said:

Octavio was obviously baking potatoes in Reynold's Wrap during the pandemic. I did like how gracious he was on leaving.

I thought Shantall was robbed. Her look was colorful and comfortable.

He's baked, alright.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

Although I love Cindy Lauper I don’t understand why her and Geoffrey were there except to promote awareness to her skin condition.

I’m surprised there was two eliminations, not sorry to see Octavio go because…those sleeves (!)…but was hoping Jayden could have stayed. The outfit was sloppy but the puffer coat was cool.

I couldn’t tell if Kristina’s winning look was pants, dress, both. I like Chasity’s pants and Aaron’s weren’t so bad either. 
What’s wrong with Elaine? She seems off. She thought Aaron’s top wasn’t chic enough but then when he showed her the little bandeau bra underneath then she thought it was. Uh, Really? 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 24

I agree that Anna should have been in the bottom group. Boring look. Chantal, on the other hand, I would have put in the top. 
Jayden’s outfit really didn’t fit his model tonight, so I can’t argue with him being sent home. I do think he will have a successful career.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, littlebennysmom said:

"I sell lots of these!"

Probably not the thing to let slip for an original design challenge, Octavio.

The pink feathered pumps, lmao! 

Yeah, his comments were not well thought out.  He kept talking about making this garment np before and how it sold…. Maybe not the best rebuttal to their critique.  

• Love 12
Just now, lgprimes said:

I agree that Anna should have been in the bottom group. Boring look. Chantal, on the other hand, I would have put in the top. 
Jayden’s outfit really didn’t fit his model tonight, so I can’t argue with him being sent home. I do think he will have a successful career.

I think Shantal's fit the challenge the best and was something women would want to wear. The balls or whatever sewn on would keep it from being something you could sit around in while working from home, though (IMO).

• Love 17

Coral and Zayden's looks were so bad that I had to fast forward through their judging, I couldn't even bear it.

That hasn't happened to me in ages.  I absolutely cringed watching Zayden's outfit come down the runway.  It could not have been worse.

And Coral?  I could so easily see that that was wrong wrong wrong for the challenge.  I don't even want to wear sequins when I go OUT, let alone at home.  Sequins are uncomfortable ANYWHERE - anytime, any place.

I was totally fine with Prajje's look, except for that back animal print vest thing.  Honey, just no.  I feel like their expectations are higher for Prajje which is not fair.  He's better than everyone else, so he's not allowed to do a safe outfit and gets lectured?  Fuck off.

How did Elaine not understand Aaron's look?  It was perfectly 1990s Lisa Bonet.  It was so easy to understand.  And I don't even like Aaron.  There was almost zero difference between Chasity and Aaron's looks.  I swear, all of you have turned me against Elaine now.

Brendan was SUCH a bitch about Octavio's look.  I don't hate Octavio like everyone else.  At least Brendan was 100% right about Zayden (and Prajje, but I'm still fine with Prajje's look.). I liked Anna's!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

Christian sure was helping this episode, giving advice on accessories, sleeves and pretty much everything but actually sewing the garment. I thought styling was always part of the criteria for judging? What if Christian did the styling? I really liked Aaron and Chasity’s outfits . The winning number looked uncomfortable with the dress hanging off. Elaine seems to only like certain designers and won’t listen to any criticism about them. 

• Love 16

Even Mimi couldn't save that horror on the runway. I'm also grateful I won't have to keep cringing at Anna's"Daaaaaddy!!!!" flirtation.

It makes sense that they aufed two designers after the Siriano save, but how did completely-miss-the-challenge-sequin-outfit stay over Zayden's puffer coat overshadowed by challenge-meeting (though ill-fitting) design?

It was very cool hearing about the designer's stay at home outfits during the lockdown. Wonder if any of Bones' neighbors watch Project Runway, lol! 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, lgprimes said:

What is going on with our girl Cyndi?!

I have never seen her so low energy. Is anybody else worried?

Not worried, bored.  Does anyone under 35 know her for anything but psoriasis Rx ads?  She should submit her name for Botox ads next, just in case the Cosentyx money dries up.  This performance was nothing more than an in-show commercial.

• Love 13

Bye, Daddy! (Ugh, Anna.)

I’m surprised the judges didn’t call out Octavio’s dress for what it is— a fancy straight jacket. (He says he’s sold a lot of those— maybe to prisons?) I actually didn’t hate it, but the styling made it over-the-top ridiculous, and he earned the loss.

Sadly, I think Zayden did, too. I really like him and wish he had gone further. But that design was bad and really ill fitting. I don’t understand why the designers can’t fit models who are bigger than Size 0 without a bunch of puckering and sloppy seams. Breasts and hips, people! Get used to them. They exist in the real world.

I really liked Christina’s look. (This is how you put dissimilar prints together, Katie.) The one misstep for me was the long headdress down the back. I thought that was a bit much. I’d have been happier with a smaller cap, as seen from the front. 

I agree that Aaron and Chasity made basically the same look. Chasity did it better. Aaron’s looked like it came from Eileen Fisher.

I hate when the judges give someone a pass when they disregard the challenge. No way are sequins Couch Couture. Coral knew she wasn’t following the directive, but she did it anyway. To me, that should result in an automatic elimination. If Zayden had just made up his own challenge, maybe he’d have come up with something better and would still be around. Not fair.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 24
2 hours ago, lgprimes said:

I have never seen her so low energy. Is anybody else worried?

32 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Not worried, bored.  Does anyone under 35 know her for anything but psoriasis Rx ads?  She should submit her name for Botox ads next, just in case the Cosentyx money dries up.  This performance was nothing more than an in-show commercial.

When she was going to each of the designers, I wondered what was wrong with her. I remember her being a lot more......animated. I wonder if she was on tranqs or something?

• Love 4

I think Coral focused on the "luxe" part of the challenge.  It was described as a comfortable look to go out in.  She referenced some performing artists who wear comfortable, loose fitting designs, made with equally sparkly fabrics.  I thought it was one of the better designs for her plus sized model.  Many others have come up short designing for average and plus sized women (notably Zayden this episode), but that outfit looked really nice on the model.  I didn't care for the bottom of the pants, but the rest of it was flattering.  And, I agree, that sequined fabric seems anything but comfy.

I was surprised by the double elimination. I was ready for Octavio's departure, but am going to miss the wonderful Zayden.  From the first episode, he has left a great impression on me.  

• Love 21

I can see how Coral's outfit could have worked.  There are lots of one-line events that could use a combination of dress-y and comfort.  Cocktail parties, wine tastings, and concerts are often remote.  You want to dress up a bit to take your mind off the fact that you're basically sitting at home by yourself drinking.

Edited by Fretful
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8

Personally, I thought the naked lady fabric was hilarious. Too bad it was used to such a boring end. Anna's outfit (I think it was Anna?) from the Flower Power challenge would have been perfect for this. Zayden had such a pretty combination with the patterned fabric and the aqua blue, but he went totally in the wrong direction with the belted sweatsuit (?!) and puffer jacket. A whole lot of this one was just a big yikes.

• Love 7

Have pretty much agreed on the eliminations this season. Shitty though that Zayden probably thought he was in when Octavio was out. They usually warn of a double elimation at some point. Zayden seemed like a kind man, he had the bad luck to draw a bigger model IMO.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

This was the practically the first time I DIDN'T hate what Octavio made, so of course he was auf'd.  Honestly, I thought the reason he went home was that idiotic lingerie pairing and presentation.  The underneath could have been more of a super-sexy workout/active-ish underwear/lingerie thing.  But a (well-made) 80s/90s black garter set?

And while what he MADE didn't work, I would like to not ignore how badly the PRESENTATION of it failed for me.  Lifting up your shirt like a TikTok high school selfie?  Down in the overgarment, full removal, back in the undergarment would have gone a lot better (if the undergarment was better).  He deserved the boot for that even if I feel like he was very very close to making it work.

That being said, if the sequins had gotten the boot over that, I wouldn't have said boo.

That hippie outfit was very good, but it was not as very good as Chasity's, which - even while benefitting from being the first thing down the runway - should have won.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

He seems successful as a designer, so good for him.  

Is he?  We all know he likes grossly oversized proportions - does that happen with how he represents his professional success too?

• LOL 13
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, gibasi said:

i did not like Kristina’s look. I thought it was fussy and overly complicated. To me comfort equals easy and hers was not.

I laughed after having heard so many designers being told to edit, that Kristina and her unnecessary headscarf and koozie (thank Christian) win the challenge.  There was so much going on there I didn't even know where to look.  I will give her that she has an eye for putting patterns together though.  

• Love 10

So many designers missed or ignored the brief, even though the clothes they themselves wore during the  pandemic were guides--well, except for the naked guy and underwear guy.

Wasn't Zayden's outfit made of neoprene?  That would not be comfortable, would it, since it doesn't breathe?

I thought Branden was spot on about Octavio's.  Those sleeves were ridiculous.  Imaging lounging on the couch with your laptop and trying to do anything with those sleeves.  Another entry completely missing the mark.  Octavio, if you've really sold hundreds of these, I want proof.

I liked the idea of the challenge and think it's quite relevant.  I know I stocked up on comfy pants.  I liked Aaron's and Chasity's the best, although I don't see someone lounging around in Chasity's.   I was actually fine with the top three and bottom four and didn't care at all which of them won and who was eliminated, as any choice would have been justifiable, IMHO.  I'm glad when they did eliminate two in one show I thought they did both deserve to go.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, lgprimes said:

I have never seen her so low energy.

she also seemed to be slurring her words a bit

11 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

the puffer coat was cool.

I can't agree. Why was she wearing it off her shoulders the whole time? Did it not fit properly? (Though I noticed that Zayden was wearing his shirt off his shoulder as well. Maybe that's his schtick)

11 hours ago, T Summer said:

The balls or whatever sewn on would keep it from being something you could sit around in while working from home

I had the same thought about the balls. The outfit went from "perfect" for me to "I don't think so"

• Love 9

Coral got lucky.  I think she wanted to make what she made, brief be damned.  She was lucky it was actually a really great design, and on another challenge, she might have been in the top, just based on how the judges liked it, but not for this challenge.

Same with Octavio.   He wanted to make what he made, it is just that his aesthetic is more casual.  Though, I have to say that when I'm reaching for couch potato lounging wear, I do not immediately think "girdle, garters, stockings, metallic straight jacket, and feathered heels."  That's just waaaaay too fussy and too much effort and doesn't even look or sound comfortable. 

While Kristina's winning design was comfortable looking, I'm not pulling that out of my closet to wear to watch TV.  That was definitely more resort wear than anything else.  It reminded me quite a bit of something Uli from one of the early seasons would have sent down the runway.  Not bad, but not what I'd want.

I actually liked the safe designs the best, they were more couch potato couture than the others.  Oh well.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
50 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Octavio flat out ignored the brief and made what he wanted. He deserved the boot. While Zayden seems to be a lovely human, his designs really weren't that good.

This.

The only way I want to see Octavio's sleeved nightmare, is with said sleeves tied behind his back while he's being transported to the nutbarn.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Have pretty much agreed on the eliminations this season. Shitty though that Zayden probably thought he was in when Octavio was out. They usually warn of a double elimation at some point. Zayden seemed like a kind man, he had the bad luck to draw a bigger model IMO.

I thought they handled the double elimination well, since they said “you’re both out” instead of first telling one designer and then the other. I agree that it would be shitty to let one designer think they were in and then give them the boot.

• Love 14

I'm pretty sure Aaron was the only contestant who even recognized Cyndi Lauper when she was introduced. Even when Christian said her name, not sure how many knew who she was. I would imagine they weren't keen on having to stop work and make conversation with her during a ONE DAY CHALLENGE, either!

And I was amazed when she basically did a Cosentix commercial instead of being the fourth/guest judge. (It did make me wish, not for the first time, that that medical miracle had been invented in time for my poor psoriasis-suffering father to have benefited from it).

Only enjoyable events of the night were Christian's various noises in reaction to the design disasters he saw happening: 'Oh, Lord!'

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I thought they both deserved their aufs.  Zayden's was just tragic.  Maybe if the blue jacket had actually fit the model, it could have hid some of the monstrosity of the jumpsuit.   On the other hand, if Octavio had paired his giant silver coat with bike shorts and Ugg boots, it would have been kinda cool.

I will never understand the appeal of ear gauges.  I had to avoid looking at Geoffrey during his own season, don't bring him back!

• Love 16

I was surprised the judges didn’t comment on the puffer coat hanging off the models shoulders. At no point in the runway or judging did she put it all the way on. Either it didn’t fit or that was the intended look. Is anything more actually completely UNCOMFORTABLE than a winter coat hanging off your shoulders?  Another straitjacket. 
Christisn needs to learn how to give feedback without actually doing the design. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, GaT said:

When she was going to each of the designers, I wondered what was wrong with her. I remember her being a lot more......animated. I wonder if she was on tranqs or something?

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I'm pretty sure Aaron was the only contestant who even recognized Cyndi Lauper when she was introduced. Even when Christian said her name, not sure how many knew who she was. I would imagine they weren't keen on having to stop work and make conversation with her during a ONE DAY CHALLENGE, either!

And I was amazed when she basically did a Cosentix commercial instead of being the fourth/guest judge. (It did make me wish, not for the first time, that that medical miracle had been invented in time for my poor psoriasis-suffering father to have benefited from it).

Only enjoyable events of the night were Christian's various noises in reaction to the design disasters he saw happening: 'Oh, Lord!'

I did feel for Christian when the models filed in past Cyndi, and he called them out for their lack of enthusiasm/icon-recognition. I appreciated Aaron geeking out over her. Agree with @sempervivum I expected/wanted her and Geoffrey to be the guest judges. The one they did have could have been great, but I noticed there were at least two designs on top or bottom where we didn't hear from her. Instead we heard from Elaine, who seems to have the least potential to impact a designer's career. 

I love Geoffrey Mac, and glad to see he's doing well. (He's on my dream list of designers I'd hire for custom clothing if I ever won the lottery) Cyndi's affect may have been even more noticeable because he was so nervous in the workroom visit.

I think Geoffrey gave good advice to each designer that wasn't necessarily shown, but it's a shame they chose to highlight the "go with your first instinct" to Octavio. Speaking of which, that's proof that while Christian may give very specific styling and design advice, it really is on the designer whether or not to apply it. Christian very clearly advised against those pink feathered pumps, which Octavio stubbornly went with anyway. So glad it got called out by the judges.

Also thought it was a very Miley Cyrus outfit--so it might work for a video or photo-shoot, but I doubt even Miley wears that to netflix and chill.  And totally agree with @retired watcher. Octavio always wears the most loose-fitting, comfortable clothes himself, and chose to interpret comfort as those garters and stockings?

Will miss Zayden, but at least he left "Seen" and with a near-win under his belt.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

On the other hand, if Octavio had paired his giant silver coat with bike shorts and Ugg boots, it would have been kinda cool.

This! When Octavio presented the idea of a girl wearing her boyfriend's hoodie, I was so impressed because that is a great jumping off point for a design like this. But then he Octavio-d all over it. Cute bike shorts, normal sleeves, decent fabric and a good shoe (why did so many people use heels?) would have probably given him a win.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

I laughed out loud at Brandon saying there would be pizza crumbs in his sequins. 
The winning look really seemed more like resort wear, I liked Aaron’s better, it looked really comfortable and you could throw on some sandals and ru out to the grocery store.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Cute bike shorts, normal sleeves, decent fabric and a good shoe (why did so many people use heels?) would have probably given him a win.

So you mean a totally different outfit?  :-)

I'm not sure that would have done it, but he certainly wouldn't have gotten knocked out.  

I mean, the sleeves were a specific thing.  They were shown as worn pulled up, no one's wearing them down, it seems unfair to mark him off for such a thing, IMO.  It was a super-wearable outerwear piece.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

It's possible she was too whatever was wrong with her to have that much scrutiny actually sitting on the judge's panel so they quickly got a second (!) CFDA person to sit there instead. I thought it was weird that they had a second CFDA person so quickly or at all to sit on the panel. Usually it's all celebrities or guest designers or something and they had a real celebrity right there. Something was wrong with Cyndy that day but I don't know what.

I loved both Aaron's and Chasity's designs. I thought the way Chasity's pants fit with the wide sash area (the word for that escapes me, but around the waist fitted area) would really work best on a person with no fat whatsoever. It would get too snug while lounging around IMO. But it was really pretty on the runway.

It's like none of these designers have ever made a dart before. They always do it so poorly and usually in the wrong place or the wrong length. I thought Zayden's design was a complete nightmare. I do not think the little jacket was capable of being pulled up properly on the model and that's why she wore it half off the way she did. That is exactly the position you wind up in when a shirt or jacket is too small for you when you try to put it on. He powered through it as though it was intentional but I don't think so. And skin tight jumpsuit on a plus size model? Why can't these designers even pretend they've ever seen a large woman before?  The whole thing was horrible and not well made. I will miss him terribly but he deserved the auf for that thing.

So that's what Octavio think women wear while lounging at home stylishly?  It was like a thirteen year old boy thought this thing up. He can make stuff though. He has that talent. If only he would use his talents for good.

• Love 14