Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E08: Couch Couture

• Start Topic

I think the universe of "large" women who would wear a gray stretch jumpsuit with a quilted bomber jacket that is waist length is close to zero.

While I don't think large women need to be dressed by Omar the Tentmaker I do think the goal of clothing is to flatter the wearer in some way. Most women try on clothing and choose clothing that is flattering and a stretchy gray jumpsuit would be difficult for any woman who wasn't slender because it is so unforgiving. 

But maybe that's me. 🤷🏼‍♀️It seems that the designers have succeeded in dressing the "plus size" models in flattering ways when they have emphasized their good parts and not put on a target on stuff like a large stomach. 

• Love 14

Ugh, did not enjoy seeing Geoffrey (and his nipple).  Reminded me of how much I disliked last season.  And a brief glimpse of that guy who designed to highlight certain causes.

My favourites were Aaron and Chasity.

My dislike of elaigrows each week.

• Love 10

I looked up Octavio's website. His streetwear is so unattractive IMO. I know I'm not his "girl" and am not cool enough to wear anything he makes, but I think he's a one-way monkey and his garments are ridiculous.

I didn't see the coat from last night, but I did see a dress with those looooong sleeves. Interesting that his look book stops at 2018. Maybe that's why he went on PR -- he needed the exposure. I don't think his performance or attitude will bring him legions of new fans.

Edited by jackjill89
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

I didn't see the coat from last night, but I did see a dress with those looooong sleeves.

I thought he made a couple of comments along the lines of "this is a thing I do" or "this is a really popular look in my line."

It seems that he isn't really interested in stretching creatively from what he's already doing. If he's that confident in his "thing," then why on earth is he on PR?

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I laughed out loud at Brandon saying there would be pizza crumbs in his sequins. 
The winning look really seemed more like resort wear, I liked Aaron’s better, it looked really comfortable and you could throw on some sandals and ru out to the grocery store.

While I liked the winning look, headscarf and all, I really did think that  Aaron's was the truest to the challenge objective.  If I need to go out somewhere in the same clothes that I've been wearing while couch surfing, I would only do it with a face covering and dark glasses.  Seriously.  Another far-fetched challenge, with convoluted instructions imo.

In another vein, why is it so difficult to design and FIT clothing for larger women?  I realize that the fayshun industry would like to operate on the notion that all they really need to do is manufacture clothing that would favor an ironing board, but there really is more to the garment industry.  I can't speak to worldwide statistics, but I believe that more than 50% of the female population in the USA is at or north of a size 14. To blame the model for the horrible fit of Zayden's garment is maddening.

• Love 21
19 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m surprised there was two eliminations, not sorry to see Octavio go because…those sleeves (!)…but was hoping Jayden could have stayed. The outfit was sloppy but the puffer coat was cool.

They had to make up for the Sariano Save.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Now he's wearing a crown! Is he channeling the Burger King! After all the BK has a red mustache.

Next he will be in red pigtails in honor of Wendy's.

I find the Burger King in he commercials incredibly creepy. I am wondering if tonight I will have nightmares of the Burger King with a bright red mustache in my house

C3B65A70-C6EF-450D-8298-8A41F486085A.jpeg

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, gibasi said:

i think the problem with designing for the larger models is that the designers are only given one chance to fit the garment. I think more time with the models to adjust the fit would make for better results. If you don’t have enough done to see how it will fit the model it can make for imperfect fits like Zayden’s. I wish he could have stayed. I liked him very much.

Interesting point.  The “normal” models (who are not the size of any actual normal woman) tend to be very similar in proportions. The designers can probably cut to a standard and then make only small alterations for a good fit. But the “plus sized” models are different in their own ways. Some are proportionately curvy, some have larger busts, some are just hippier. And the more pronounced the curve, the more difficult the adjustment will be. (Imagine taking in 1/4” along a straight line vs along a figure 8. It just takes more time, and more technique. Straight lines don’t make puckers.) So I can see why a curvier model would take more time to fit correctly, even if you knew her measurements in advance.

This doesn’t excuse the designers for not being able to think beyond stick figures, but it does explain why fittings on curvy models may be more challenging.

• Useful 6
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, 30 Helens said:

Interesting point.  The “normal” models (who are not the size of any actual normal woman) tend to be very similar in proportions. The designers can probably cut to a standard and then make only small alterations for a good fit. But the “plus sized” models are different in their own ways. Some are proportionately curvy, some have larger busts, some are just hippier. And the more pronounced the curve, the more difficult the adjustment will be. (Imagine taking in 1/4” along a straight line vs along a figure 8. It just takes more time, and more technique. Straight lines don’t make puckers.) So I can see why a curvier model would take more time to fit correctly, even if you knew her measurements in advance.

This doesn’t excuse the designers for not being able to think beyond stick figures, but it does explain why fittings on curvy models may be more challenging.

I wish they would make all the designers do curvier models in some challenges, that would be a more level playing field.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, amarante said:

I think the universe of "large" women who would wear a gray stretch jumpsuit with a quilted bomber jacket that is waist length is close to zero.

While I don't think large women need to be dressed by Omar the Tentmaker I do think the goal of clothing is to flatter the wearer in some way. Most women try on clothing and choose clothing that is flattering and a stretchy gray jumpsuit would be difficult for any woman who wasn't slender because it is so unforgiving. 

But maybe that's me. 🤷🏼‍♀️It seems that the designers have succeeded in dressing the "plus size" models in flattering ways when they have emphasized their good parts and not put on a target on stuff like a large stomach. 

Coral did it in this very challenge.  She had a plus size model and her look fit her like a glove.  If she hadn't used sequins, she might have won.

Some designers gravitate towards the larger models.  Bones almost always uses a plus size gal.

What happened to the male models?  This would have been a great challenge to include them.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

When I'm relaxing at home, if my sequined dress is in the wash, then I go for a garter belt and stockings! Honestly, have none of these people ever relaxed? 

6 hours ago, retired watcher said:

Some of the designers do not understand the word comfortable. It what universe is a garter belt and stockings comfortable. Only a man.

O.k. I'm an old. I grew up before pantyhose and actually had to wear a garter belt and stockings all day long in early high school. Lemme tell all the whippersnappers out there -- it's excruciating. For an hour or two on a date, and then they come off? Fine. I'm not lounging around all day in them.

4 hours ago, amarante said:

Coral's model looked great, and her clothes fit. Other than not fitting the brief, I liked Coral's a lot.

• Love 15

Me thinks Elaine is biased much. If they switched the designers outfits would she still think Aarons was awful if she was told Chasity made the look?

Geoffrey if you are gonna wear a shirt like that please put a pasty over that nip.

Edited by Texasmom1970
Spelling
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 17

Coral did such a great job of creating a flattering outfit for a plus size model that I didn't even focus on her dress size - I just thought she was elegantly dressed although sequins were not the from couch to club look the judges were looking for.

• Love 17

Ye, gads, there are still ten contestants left? How is that possible? It feels like this season has already been on for a century.

Why do I keep forgetting Coral is there?

Let me get this straight: Elaine thinks Aaron's design is "frumpy" but Prajje's is fab? 'Mkay. Reason No. 1 why she needs to be booted from the judging panel. Reason No. 2, still waiting for all that talent you extolled to show up, Elaine. She and Brandon are worthless as judges. Who knew I'd ever take comfort in Nina still being around.

I liked Kristina's and Aaron's designs. While I preferred Aaron's, Kristina deserved the win for all that execution. Wow. The rest of the designs ranged from bland to bad. Not sorry to see Octavio go, as he's turned out to be a one-way monkey, but I'm very sorry to see Zayden go. True, he wasn't going to win, nor likely even make the finals, but he's the one contestant this season who I wholly liked as a person. Ah, well, at least we're now down to eight contestants.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21
32 minutes ago, FlyingEgret said:

I forget who said it, but I loved the comment about how confusing the challenge was and describing the designs as one was going to a wedding, one to a strip club, and a third to the liquor store...

And another was apparently going to bed.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

While I liked the winning look, headscarf and all, I really did think that  Aaron's was the truest to the challenge objective.  If I need to go out somewhere in the same clothes that I've been wearing while couch surfing, I would only do it with a face covering and dark glasses.  Seriously.  Another far-fetched challenge, with convoluted instructions imo.

I have rarely gone out in pubic since the beginning of the pandemic, and when I do I wear a hat to cover my dirty hair and I'm grateful that people are masked so they don't have to smell my unwashed body and clothes.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Octavio turning his model into a flasher was borderline disturbing, I'm so glad he was finally out.  I would have put Coral into the bottom two though for how far she missed the mark--but maybe not for a double elimination.  Of the top looks, Kristina's was definitely my favorite, and the most fashion.  The other two were too similar and bland (and that bright white look would certainly show the pizza sauce that one of the judges brought up, among other stains); I preferred the vibrant, colorful print that Shantall used, even if her design/construction was not as polished.  But overall, this runway was just very blah.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I thought this was finally going to be Aaron's. His cashmere was the best fabric choice, given the "inside/outside" criterion. Maybe he needed to pick a more "pizza sauce camouflage" color. 🙄

I'm still calling editing shenanigans on Aaron and his ridiculous hateful tirade against Bones last week. He was totally wrong, but hoping for a redemption arc. I thought his design was one of the top. Easy, comfy, almost beachy and many pieces made. Looks from previews like he may struggle next week which of course in PR Land means he will win. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, meep.meep said:

On the other hand, if Octavio had paired his giant silver coat with bike shorts and Ugg boots, it would have been kinda cool.

I was thinking the coat with bike shorts and a pair of sneakers would've been cute.  Oh, and shorten the sleeves by about three feet.  But he had his mind set on "Madonna at the Met Gala" and would not be stopped.  At least now he'll have lots of mustache-dying time.  And I don't have to hear Anna call him "Daddy" ever again.

I really liked Chantal's and was surprised she wasn't in the top.  Elaine can stop any time with defending everything Prajje does--we get it, he's your "man."  I hate when any of the judges play favorites to the point of nonsense. 

• Love 21
15 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Now he's wearing a crown! Is he channeling the Burger King! After all the BK has a red mustache.

That stupid-ass crown is part of the Dope Tavio logo.

Check out his Insta if you want to laugh at how self-important he is (guess that could apply to almost anyone's Instagram)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Me thinks Elaine is biased much. If they switched thr designers outfits would she still think Aarons was awful if she was told Chasity made the look?

Geoffrey if you are gonna wear a shirt like that please put a pasty over that nip.

Geoffrey's shirt is from his line. He has all sorts of clothing with "slashes" on them -- pants, shirts, jackets. The collection is not bad overall. It is much more marketable than the puffy stuff he was doing on PR. Doesn't look like he and Octavio dress the same people anymore. 

I did have to laugh at the description -- the collection "has New York in its DNA." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Jobiska said:

I did like the look of Chasity's, but those straps would roll and cut into my well-padded middle

me as well, and I actually thought they looked a bit messy. Understandable given the time, but they didn't seem to line up exactly right, or be entirely flat.

2 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Also, saying "anyone could wear" something with a bandeau top in place of a bra

I had exactly the same thought LOL

• Love 8
On 12/10/2021 at 7:17 AM, jacksgirl said:

Have pretty much agreed on the eliminations this season. Shitty though that Zayden probably thought he was in when Octavio was out. They usually warn of a double elimation at some point. Zayden seemed like a kind man, he had the bad luck to draw a bigger model IMO.

They need to start being fair and give everyone the same size model. The one bigger model had the draped sequins, the other one had the thick material that was ill fitting.   It’s getting awkward.  

• Love 14
6 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

I'm still calling editing shenanigans on Aaron and his ridiculous hateful tirade against Bones last week. He was totally wrong, but hoping for a redemption arc. I thought his design was one of the top. Easy, comfy, almost beachy and many pieces made. Looks from previews like he may struggle next week which of course in PR Land means he will win. 

I agree!  I just loved his design this week.  It seemed like it hit all the criteria and looked very casual chic.  Maybe he should have added a coffee cozee.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I thought this was finally going to be Aaron's. His cashmere was the best fabric choice, given the "inside/outside" criterion. Maybe he needed to pick a more "pizza sauce camouflage" color. 🙄

I thought so, too.  I felt like Aaron's was more in complete line with the instructions of the challenge.  The winning look really looked much more resort-wear to me, and we all know that resorts were actually closed during the pandemic.  It was pretty, and I loved how each print played off the others, but I liked Aaron's as being more comfortable and more marketable.

3 hours ago, Jobiska said:

My heart sank every time I saw that gray...stuff...on Jayden's dress form or model during the creating phase because I knew it was going to look awful.  He was my favorite in terms of personality--just such a sweet soul.  

I will say one thing about Octavio's look--I had never got groceries delivered until the pandemic, and now I am very familiar with those insulated silver bags the cold stuff comes in.  How clever of him to use them as his main material!

If Brandon makes a snide side whisper about 6 foot long arms during the reveal, you know you're doomed.  

I did like the look of Chasity's, but those straps would roll and cut into my well-padded middle, so, not comfy.  Also, saying "anyone could wear" something with a bandeau top in place of a bra (I forget which one they said that about) is, frankly, a boob.  And a lot more of me would be showing that just a nipple a la Geoffrey.

Elaine said that, and I was like "Really??? Maybe only someone with the figure of that model could get away with a bandeau top instead of a bra".  Chasity's look was gorgeous, but to me, would be uncomfortable with those pant straps creating bulges were there should not be.

Aaron's look was comfortable and chic for all body types, except maybe with something different than a peek-a-boo crop top.  I could see that with a great fitting cami or even a loose tank top.  The pants were comfy, would look good on many body shapes, and can go with sneakers, flats, sandals or stillettos.  The cashmere throw/sweater was perfect for the challenge, and I would wear that constantly (I actually have one that is similar, only more heavy-weight cashmere).  

I just think that Elaine doesn't personally like Aaron as much as the women designers.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
22 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I read an article the other day about a viral restaurant review of a nightmarish dining experience at a ridiculously pompous full of themselves Michelin starred establishment and this offering makes it look like Octavio designed it.

20211211_174246.jpg

• LOL 24
7 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

That stupid-ass crown is part of the Dope Tavio logo.

Check out his Insta if you want to laugh at how self-important he is (guess that could apply to almost anyone's Instagram)

I can only see Jughead Jones from the Archie comics when he wears that silly crown. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 14
17 hours ago, Leeds said:

I have rarely gone out in pubic since the beginning of the pandemic, and when I do I wear a hat to cover my dirty hair and I'm grateful that people are masked so they don't have to smell my unwashed body and clothes.

Apparently I need some help with proofreading.

• LOL 12
1 hour ago, littlebennysmom said:

I read an article the other day about a viral restaurant review of a nightmarish dining experience at a ridiculously pompous full of themselves Michelin starred establishment and this offering makes it look like Octavio designed it.

20211211_174246.jpg

Is this the same one about the Bros restaurant in Italy (Lecce, IIRC)? If not, I'll just share this:

BrosNo14.jpg

• LOL 4

Zayden's model, Dariana, is not simply a "plus-size model"--i.e. a standard-proportion model in a larger size.   Her stomach pooches out beyond her bust;  she has rolls and outer thigh bulges.  If you draw her as your model, you are at a disadvantage.  Doesn't seem fair, to either Dariana or her designers, to put her in the mix like some kind of ringer.

I don't know where Nina's getting her direction these days.  About Chastity's beautiful  white outfit, she says, "Well, I'm not sure EVERY woman could pull this off."  Hello?  That was not part of the challenge instruction--even though the guest judge chirped about how any woman of any age could wear the hippie outfit with the Ace bandage bandeau that the model was sporting under her little sparrow bone clavicles.

Then Nina supports the ridiculous sequined garment by saying it's something she would wear out clubbing.  Right, 'cuz that's exactly [the opposite of] what the challenge was.

In what world is anyone ever wearing hair curlers, sunglasses and a tiny sequined evening bag?   No dings for "styling"? 

Mustachio, check every dictionary in the world--garter belts and marabou stilettos won't be under "comfort."

It's ironic that this is the challenge where we viewers were all experts concerning comfy pandemic/couch-wear while the judges have apparently lost any sense of what people might wear when they have an interest in being comfortable.  Elaine didn't think Aaron's gorgeous cashmere trousers fit well?  No, featherbrain, they're just not skintight and wedged up her crotch!  They're utterly luxurious and fucking com-fort-able.

Personally, I'm with Pradjje--I spent most of the year happily naked.  : )

Edited by candall
Good grief, I haven't learned their names yet.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
41 minutes ago, candall said:

Zayden's model, Dariana, is not simply a "plus-size model"--i.e. a standard-proportion model in a larger size.   Her stomach pooches out beyond her bust;  she has rolls and outer thigh bulges.  If you draw her as your model, you are at a disadvantage.  Doesn't seem fair, to either Dariana or her designers, to put her in the mix like some kind of ringer.

When Zayden was doing his fitting, I was wondering what that weird bulge was near her waist. It was her boob. She desperately needs a better bra.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Always cringe when size 0 (just guessing) Nina or Elaine talks about a bigger model having a "slamming" body or figure. Sure Jan, like you really believe that.

It’s like Elaine has to be politically correct and make sure everyone knows she’s not commenting on the model, just the outfit. Something they never do with conventional models. Another reason to make the models uniform.  How about all size medium. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, candall said:

Mustachio, check every dictionary in the world--garter belts and marabou stilettos won't be under "comfort."

You mean you DON'T wear stilettos every time you run errands?  I find them particularly practical when going to the pet store.  Nothing like trying to heft a 40lb box of cat litter while wearing stilettos.  I get they're styling for a runway but does the person exist who is happily couch surfing (in their garter belt, of course), discovers they are out of Cheetos and puts on stilettos to run to the store?

5 hours ago, candall said:

In what world is anyone ever wearing hair curlers, sunglasses and a tiny sequined evening bag?   No dings for "styling"? 

Right, you don't have time (or energy) to take the rollers out of your hair, but you wouldn't just grab that practical bag you haul all your junk in that's probably sitting right next to your keys.   You'd go rooting around in your closet for your sequined evening bag.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
On 12/10/2021 at 5:14 AM, Jodithgrace said:

When I'm relaxing at home, if my sequined dress is in the wash, then I go for a garter belt and stockings! Honestly, have none of these people ever relaxed? 

All I could think about is how those sequins would scrape up against my inner arms. So relaxing. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Bluesky said:

They need to start being fair and give everyone the same size model. The one bigger model had the draped sequins, the other one had the thick material that was ill fitting.   It’s getting awkward.  

I said this exact thing while watching the episode with my husband. The models should all be the same body type, with just one fitting, they would all have the same difficulty fitting a larger model well. It's just flat out more complex to do. And I don't believe the lip service the judges give the plus-size models either. They are saying what is PC.

I thought most of the designs missed the brief. Who wants to sit around at home with a fussy outfit with ties, Velcro straps, sequins, Christmas tree balls hanging from it, NASA foil blanket parachutes, puffy off the shoulder bomber jackets, garter belts, 5 foot long sleeves, gah!

I liked Prajjés outfit. Maybe the colors were a bit bland, but at least it looked comfy.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, candall said:

I don't know where Nina's getting her direction these days.  About Chastity's beautiful  white outfit, she says, "Well, I'm not sure EVERY woman could pull this off."  Hello?  That was not part of the challenge instruction--even though the guest judge chirped about how any woman of any age could wear the hippie outfit with the Ace bandage bandeau that the model was sporting under her little sparrow bone clavicles.

Nina has made this comment before, and I find it very irritating. Decide what you want the challenge to be: the best design or the best ready-to-wear. Because they’re not necessarily the same thing. There are a lot of designs that I could not pull off— that does not make them bad designs. If every design were suited to  every woman, of every size and age, then fashion would be a very boring and generic thing. Is that what you want, Nina

• Love 11

I truly do not get why the Project Runway designers aren't able to properly dress women of size.

I recommend they tune into The Voice which nearly every season has large and extra large contestants and the wardrobe people manage to find/create beautiful well fitting outfits for all every single week. Sometimes multiple outfits for each person on each show. Those contestants look great in the clothes.

And the people who put the looks together do not claim to be "designers" like Project Runways bumblers do.

Agree with those who call for Elaine to be removed from judgeship. Brandon has some merits but he's certainly no Michael Kors-- whose humor and biting bon mots are sorely needed on this version of the show.  

While the runway garments themselves  frequently provide (mostly unintended) humour a bit of wit from the panel would feel like fresh water in the desert!

Edited by BlueHawk
Spelling
  • Love 16