Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E04: Flower Power

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Had to look up Lazytown. 
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I only knew what it was because of a cake-making video from a while back that someone added a Lil Jon soundtrack to—it was so funny, if vaguely inappropriate!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I'm genuinely ignorant--is a cooking robe a thing?  To me, it would be the worst garment to wear when cooking.  I don't even like form fitting sleeves when I'm cooking--I always push them up.  And definitely nothing flowy, even on the body.  I'm not sure I need a special outfit for cooking, but if I do, I need to google for cooking sleeveless catsuit.

I was taken aback when Sabrina said something about women who "choose" to wear a burqa.  It's a fraught issue, and I assume there are different definitions of "choice" when it comes to burqas, but it still startled me.  But moreover, I thought the nod to the burqa she designed was off.  I don't know if it was a fit issue or a design issue, but it seemed to be hiked too far up on her face, and too close to her eyes, both on the sides and underneath. 

1009049_1634255862.7324.jpg

• Love 9
1 hour ago, backgroundnoise said:

Which judge was it that said the bathrobe was a red carpet outfit?

Andre Leon Talley, with his lips firmly glued to Anna Wintour's behind, got away with voluminous robes and caftans for years. But I get your point.

The burqa topic has come up in PR years past, or the modesty-clothing aesthetic. I'll refrain from repeating my thoughts.

Elaine needs to go. She is essentially the new Karlie.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 12

I love Aaron, but his print gave such a whiff of Peach and her "Ladies Who Lunch" aesthetic. I still liked it better than a lot of the crap that flumped down this runway.

1009049_1634255576.0704.jpg

Honestly, throw a fruit basket on her head and she's Carmen Miranda. 

Anna's look was too avant garde for the challenge.

1009049_1634255623.1164.jpg

But the print was very cool. 

I loved Octavio's but it's only slightly closer to a floral print than Shantall's.

1009049_1634255804.5122.jpg

• Love 9
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm genuinely ignorant--is a cooking robe a thing?  To me, it would be the worst garment to wear when cooking.  I don't even like form fitting sleeves when I'm cooking--I always push them up.  And definitely nothing flowy, even on the body.  I'm not sure I need a special outfit for cooking, but if I do, I need to google for cooking sleeveless catsuit.

I was taken aback when Sabrina said something about women who "choose" to wear a burqa.  It's a fraught issue, and I assume there are different definitions of "choice" when it comes to burqas, but it still startled me.  But moreover, I thought the nod to the burqa she designed was off.  I don't know if it was a fit issue or a design issue, but it seemed to be hiked too far up on her face, and too close to her eyes, both on the sides and underneath. 

1009049_1634255862.7324.jpg

I think it would have been better to just have a simple long dress of the black/green/red print on the arms under the burka and maybe just have that same print for it

this was just way too busy with too much going on

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fellaway said:

maybe it's just me, but I hate seeing the white underside of a print fabric in a finished product. Makes the fabric look cheap.

That’s one thing I really dislike in the “design your own fabric” challenges.  And yet, lining that fabric isn’t always feasible for the design.  It looks cheesy.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I'm tired of them telling stories and then crying on the runway.  Give me the first couple of seasons back please.

Yes, as the illustrious Santino (I believe) said, "It's just fashion."

11 hours ago, gingerella said:

The burka catsuit could have been soooo mu h better if she'd had a gauzy olive burka that was full length but open up to the knee and slits all.arohd so the leg part of the print flashed when the model walked. Then at the end of the runway she pulls off the burka to reveal the cat suit in all its glory.

I much would've preferred seeing that design. Or even sheer olive to the floor, with just the hint of the catsuit underneath.

7 hours ago, lilwhitelion said:

I was really surprised Prajje's was one of the favorites.  A mermaid silhouette is nothing innovative.  The print was fine. 

Yes! I kept looking at it while it was being judged, thinking there was nothing we'd never seen many times over in that design.

3 hours ago, Lassus said:

I mean, subjective and all, but I think this is a pretty GOOD group of designers, and I certainly liked a decent percentage of what I saw on the runway.

I think a couple of the designers might have talent - Octavio and Aaron, and maybe Chastity - but, thus far, we've seen little coming down the runway this season, and none this week. My point was, really, Elaine saying the judges think they're a better group of designers than any in all the previous seasons? In Bizarro World, maybe.

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

But maybe Tim was right, and the quality of the judging panel was as bad as this year's, so they didn't know what good fashion or couture really looked like.

Not comparing this season's judging panel to any previous seasons', because, yes, they sucked sometimes, too. But, thus far, the suckage from them this season looms large, too.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Had to look up Lazytown. 
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I didn't!!!!  I've seen the show with my grandsons.  Whoever said this is right!  She does belong there.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

Octavio’s was a boring blob.

I know it’s not woke to say this but his model was not a curvy model she was morbidly obese.  He got the short end of the stick, created what he could and they just stuffed him in the middle pretty much unseen.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Lassus said:

I really DON'T have the hate everyone else has for Katie, I think there's a real market for her big, fun prints.  The montage of her PR images I thought looked great.  I just DON'T think she's any kind of competition designer, and it's getting badly into her head. 

I agree with you on all points. There is nothing wrong with fun and whimsical, and I think she is capable of doing good things. She just hasn’t been doing them here. I think it’s the time pressure. I can sympathize with that, because I’m a pretty good cook, but I work slow. Put me on something like Masterchef, and I’d be lucky to get my ingredients prepped in the allotted time. It wouldn’t be pretty. 

I think Katie would be much better off if she didn’t try to do so much. Focus on color and prints, and forget about the add-ons and appliqués that are making her designs look cheap. For the purposes of this competition, I think less would definitely be more.

3 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

Darren was even flirting with his graphic designer.  Does he have a syndrome or something?

I think it’s called Covid-Quarantine-Lockdown No-Sex-For-Weeks Horny Syndrome.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5

I don’t know how old Katie is, but seeing her aesthetic these last few weeks, I wonder if she watched “Cheers” and got fixated with “Nanny G”?  Same Peter Pan collar, but Emma Thompson’s Nanny G comes off as a stately matron compared to the clown colors and frou frou scalloped appliqués in Katie’s designs.  

4B653921-DEC1-4AE6-B627-42615E5429F7.jpeg

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Michichick said:

Darren, inappropriate with Christian until the end. Hilarious that the editors overlaid him saying “more smarter” with him trying tio open the door the wrong way.

I, for one, laughed hard.

8 hours ago, lilwhitelion said:

I was really surprised Prajje's was one of the favorites.  A mermaid silhouette is nothing innovative.  The print was fine. 

What bugged me the most was seeing the white reverse of the fabric on the sleeves.  He should have lined them with a blue fabric similar to the background of his print.

Was so hoping one of the judges would tell Chasity (before the safe designers left the runway) that she was lucky she had immunity this week.

Both of these points. Already said, but what bridal salon does not have Prajje's sillhouette a hundred times over??? And the the unlined sleeves looked so cheap. I did like that he had the orientation of the fabric vertical on the body and horizontal on the mermaid fins, but the fabric was making me think of old Orangina ads.

Chasity's was a HOT mess. Gah.

Bye, horny Darren. Desparation is not an appealing look if you're lookin' to get laid.

I really liked Aaron's fabric, but I thought his outfit looked a little junior. I was hoping for something more effortlessly elegant.

Hated the "cooking robe." It was a cheesy peignor set. Nobody would wear that on the street (unless the dog got out and you had to chase it down) let alone the red carpet. Gigi. 🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

I hate hate hate that the designer who does a non-floral pattern doesn't get booted. This was a floral challenge. Elaine even said that the extra fabric was NOT to be the main fabric. Oh, they rewarded her. If you don't follow the brief of the challenge, you don't get to be in top 3.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

No, not at all, for just the reasons you mentioned. That's why it it was funny when Brandon was confused and wondering if the flowy garment was a "cooking robe." Apparently Brandon doesn't do a lot of cooking. A cooking sleeveless catsuit would be perfect. Now I want a challenge where they have to make cooking garments and stories on the runway about how they were taught to cook by a beloved dead relative  are forbidden.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

No, not at all, for just the reasons you mentioned. That's why it it was funny when Brandon was confused and wondering if the flowy garment was a "cooking robe." Apparently Brandon doesn't do a lot of cooking.

Well to be fair, Brandon seems like he orders in alot, so for him, if he' always in a robe when he's ordering in, that would, I suppose, be a cooking robe...

Elaine is high on some whack shit. And she also needs to eat a fucking sandwich, she looks unhealthily thin.

Word to whoever upthread was annoyed at Gigi, she's a vacuous idiot who has a rich daddy and a momager, I don't care what she thinks. Anyone who loses their shit over a red cellophane shower curtain 'dress' is a moron I don't want to know about.

• LOL 11
  • Love 9

I think Kristina kind of locked herself into doing a robe or something similar after designing her print, because it was so large that if she’d done anything more constructed, the whole sense of the print would be lost. And she got a lot of complimentary commentary for the parts of the outfit that weren’t made from her fabric.

I’m in a minority who was satisfied with Shantell's win. She made three well-tailored pieces (and her jacket was fully lined), and I disagree that her fabric didn’t fit the brief at all. I mean, yeah, it was subtle in contrast with all the exuberant prints, but I thought combining the floral motif with a geometric graphic was interesting and different.

Prajje made a dime-a-dozen mermaid gown, with the only interest being the sleeves, which, as others have said were let down by being unlined. I would have liked to see the print as he originally intended because I didn’t particularly like the one he ended up with.

Aaron had a good idea with the floral border print, but the final product was way too cruise line tiki lounge, and he doubled down on that aesthetic with the outfit. Christian called that one right.

Bones's design didn’t look much better than Meg's from the first episode.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

Aaron had a good idea with the floral border print, but the final product was way too cruise line tiki lounge

I think it was the bright chrome yellow that really pushed that impression.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Bluesky said:

I know it’s not woke to say this but his model was not a curvy model she was morbidly obese.  He got the short end of the stick, created what he could and they just stuffed him in the middle pretty much unseen.  

It's hard to tell when we don't know much about them, but I'm thinking Octavio's model isn't 100 pounds overweight, so not morbidly obese. Actually, I think it's the show that's not woke. Showing off clothes is a matter of proportion and many of us people of size are short waisted. So, yes, the designer with the large model is sometimes at a disadvantage. If the show wants to be inclusive, I wish they'd do some challenges with only plus size models and make sure they're all the same size, no five eleven size twelves competing against five nine size eighteens.

I did like both Octavio's and Bones' designs. They didn't stuff the models into sausage casings and proclaim they were complementing their beautiful curves, as happened in Making the Cut with really crappy results. It's possible to design beautiful clothes that flatter big women, but that's a rare skill set and not yet common in people who want to design for the runway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

In the brief they were given they were specifically told that the design was for the runway and not to be ready to wear. I think Aaron's was great but more ready to wear. You could say the same thing about the winning design though (and also light on any flowers) so who knows. Judging on PR almost never takes into account the actual brief, they just vote for whatever they liked regardless of the intent of the challenge.

I would love to see Gigi wear a flowery peignoir set on the red carpet, like she was on her way to bed and noticed a gala across the street and decided to attend.  The robe itself looks like the exact design my mom used from a McCalls pattern forty years ago. I mean exactly.  The fabric on the robe last night was lovely though.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

Gigi Hadid was absolutely trying too hard, but that seems to be the idea this season.  Removing the ugly pink skirt from (Anna’s?) the floral jumpsuit with the burqa did not immediately transform that garment from “ewww” to “yasssss, queen!!”, no matter how much they want to pretend it did.

This x 1,000. How long had Gigi practiced the Heidi impression she tried at the end? Go away. And take Elaine with you.

• Love 9

I thought there was a lot of ugly on that runway.  I like floral prints, but I really didn't like any of the designs.  I did like Shantall's in that I liked each piece and it was made well, but it was not floral, so I completely disagree with choosing her as the winner.  

I probably would have chosen Anna or Coral as the winner.  Anna's dress was at least interesting, and Coral's was pretty, though I noticed she had plastic luggage/backpack fasteners holding the jacket closed, so that was kind of a big fail, IMO. 

I did like Kristina's print, as well as Zayden's, and also Darren's, though his outfit was awful, as was Bones'.  Octavio's print worked for me, but that dress did not. His dress said to me he is a designer who can't design for breasts.  His model did not look good on top, and probably never, ever would have chosen a cowl neck dress that a) looked like it was choking her, and b) made her bosom look matronly.  Otherwise, it was just a trapeze dress with a high-low hemline, so blah.

Aaron's proportions on his jacket didn't work for me, but I will give him credit for lining the jacket!  With those long, flowy pants, he should have either done a crop jacket, or a long, flowy jacket. Still, I hated the short, puffy sleeves, which is what really ruined it for me.  Chasity was LUCKY she had immunity, because she should have been in the bottom.  Those pouffy shoulder sleeves looked like they were stuck on as an afterthought rather than being part of the design.

Katie's and Sabrina's were a hot mess, and no way in hell was there anything fresh or interesting about Prajje's.  That should never have made it into the top three.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Yes, as the illustrious Santino (I believe) said, "It's just fashion."

Lighten up, it’s just faaaaaashion! I loved him so much.

EDIT: it seems to have been MK who originally said it, but the fabulous Santino ran with it (literally).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8

I wasn't surprised to see Darren eliminated, but I really loved his fabric.  I just thought the colors were so pretty.  I would have sent one of the others home - probably Katie because I hate nearly everything she wears and what she's made for the runway so far.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, T Summer said:

btw, did you know Sabrina was from Afghanistan? 🙄 It's like she has some compulsion to repeat it over and over.

Except it made me sad to hear that she has two sisters stuck in Afghanistan still.  Especially since that last few month and what has happened there.

But I do not want to hear sob stories.  It seems like every reality show does this over and over.  I don't care. I want you to win or lose on your own merit.

As to the cooking gown, that sounds dangerous.  All that flowing fabric could easily catch on fire. Expecially with a gas stove.  Also, I can see those long sleeves dipping into the sauce pans getting covered in food.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, howiveaddict said:

But I do not want to hear sob stories.  It seems like every reality show does this over and over. 

Yeah, Chopped is notorious for this. Don't care. Cook good food.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

It's hard to tell when we don't know much about them, but I'm thinking Octavio's model isn't 100 pounds overweight, so not morbidly obese. Actually, I think it's the show that's not woke. Showing off clothes is a matter of proportion and many of us people of size are short waisted. So, yes, the designer with the large model is sometimes at a disadvantage. If the show wants to be inclusive, I wish they'd do some challenges with only plus size models and make sure they're all the same size, no five eleven size twelves competing against five nine size eighteens.

I thought none of the outfits for the plus sized models looked good on them, not because of the models but because the designers seemed like they were not designing for plus sized models but for regular skinny ones, and then just adjusted the measurements for the plus sized models.  I'm not an expert on fashion design, but I would think you need to design with the customer's size in mind, a  design than would flatter them, not put them in something that would make them look even bigger.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I love Aaron, but his print gave such a whiff of Peach and her "Ladies Who Lunch" aesthetic. I still liked it better than a lot of the crap that flumped down this runway.

I have thought he was wonderful the past three weeks and felt that he should have had more attention for those designs.  This week was a real disappointment though. The bandeau, rather than lifting it from frumpiness seemed to bring it out even more.  It reminded me of something my mom would have worn to work in the 80's.  

I'm all for curvy models, but I wish that whoever gets the model Bones had this week would design to both fit and flatter because so far that hasn't happened.  Too many people designing for a larger frame ignore that some attention must be paid to making those curves look their best. Look at Prajje's model in comparison. Both were in form fitting designs, but Prajje got it right!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I couldn't agree more about the sob stories on the runway and throughout the show. I don't want to hear another word about missing of babies, Afghanistan, difficult journeys, coming out stories -- none of that. There's a fine line between getting some background on a contestant and playing little violins in the background incessantly to up the chances of a sympathy vote.

This comment is GOLD! Bravo/PR  peeps I hope you're listening   reading.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

I did like both Octavio's and Bones' designs. They didn't stuff the models into sausage casings and proclaim they were complementing their beautiful curves, as happened in Making the Cut with really crappy results. It's possible to design beautiful clothes that flatter big women, but that's a rare skill set and not yet common in people who want to design for the runway.

Speaking of clothes that flatter big women, I loved Lizzo in the Gucci coat dress she wore recently in LA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

I'm all for curvy models, but I wish that whoever gets the model Bones had this week would design to both fit and flatter because so far that hasn't happened.  Too many people designing for a larger frame ignore that some attention must be paid to making those curves look their best. Look at Prajje's model in comparison. Both were in form fitting designs, but Prajje got it right!

That poor model - she seems to keep getting stuck in form fitting skirts that I guess are meant to celebrate her curves but just look bad.  And what was with Bones’ removable half cape that “she could throw on her lap at dinner?”  Comes with own napkin!

Cooking robe was just crazy!  I was thinking - does he mean apron?  Housecoat?  That design looks like neither of those things.  I did enjoy Nina’s “what the hell are you talking about” reaction.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

That poor model - she seems to keep getting stuck in form fitting skirts that I guess are meant to celebrate her curves but just look bad.  And what was with Bones’ removable half cape that “she could throw on her lap at dinner?”  Comes with own napkin!

I noticed the model when she walked into the workroom.  I don't think a "form fitting skirt" was a problem for her.  She seemed to be celebrating her curves all on her own.

And I had the same reaction when the designer said the half cape could be thrown on her lap at dinner!!  "What is it, a napkin?"  LOL.

• Love 2

Are models Grace and Rachael considered plus size? Does anyone have any idea what size beautifu, tall,  shapely Grace is?  a 6 or 8 maybe? Whereas typical fashion models are what a 2? or even a 0?

Ivana and Dariana are the two obviously plus size models. Ivana wore Octavio's B+W dress  and Dariana wore Bones' black skirt and floral top and half cape.

It's  like dressing these different body types are like meeting completely different challenges.

Regarding Shantal's  navy+white diamond pattern  fabric with a whisper of floral  that she made into a 3 pc ensemble  that won... I noticed her model was an entire head taller than the other models and contestants when she walked off the runway after judging. She also has a very narrow build and is completely flat chested. I found myself wondering what that would look like on someone of average height that wasn't even plus size; just maybe 5"4" -5" 6" and sz 8 or 10? [I'm guessing not so good.]

Then there's Bones and Coral having used solid black skirts and  some of the others used solid pieces too, such as Kristina's solid jumpsuit and Sabrina's pink overskirt thing...

Coral and Aaron used the floral pattern almost as a border with a solid background that made up  half or more of their look.

IDK exactly what I'm trying to say other than maybe everyone should have to design for plus size women as one (or more) challenge; and in the case of this week's, if solids can be used and  the garment doesn't have to be made entirely of the fabric  they had created from what they drew... that should be made clear at the outset.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Elaine: We judges all agree this is the most talented group of designers ever on PR!

Well, Elaine, I think that says just as much about the quality of the current judging panel as it does about the designers, because, no.

And another thing, Elaine - repeating something doesn't make it true, no matter how many times you say it.

I mean, are they trying to gaslight us???

Edited by Josiemae
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Bluesky said:

I agree. And can we all stop pretending that any of the designers with a "plus" model is ever going to win a challenge? And why must the model body types be so extreme? Are there no size 10s in all of Model Town? 

• Love 9