Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E04: Flower Power

• Start Topic

For their fourth challenge, the designers show up to discover their work room has been flower flashed; the designers must create their own unique floral print from scratch and turn it into a high-end runway look.

Original air date: November 4, 2021

That checkerboard fabric has a picnic table cloth vibe.

Christian was spot on in Katie's critique. I was thinking who would wear that, even what child would wear that? But I like her so I hope she does well.

Closeup of checkerboard print, the flowers are hidden and subdued against the blare of the checkerboard.

The pseudo Georgia O'Keefe lady parts print - I am waiting for the judges' comment. That one girl asking about the ding dong (ha).

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

There’s a whole lot of ugly in the workroom tonight, and I’m almost willing to bet that at least 1/3 of what I hate, the judges are going to love.  I’m super girly and absolutely love floral prints, but a lot of these look cheap and tacky.  We’ll see…

• Love 19
15 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

Can some tell me how they selected their models?  Do they have the same one every week or does it change

They change it up so different folks have the plus sized models and some challenges have male models.  

• Love 3

I really didn’t like Shantall’s, and with all of the bright colors and exuberant fabrics, hers looked drab and dull to me.  The design was fine, and she fit the pants perfectly, but beyond that it didn’t scream special to me.

I think Chasity was fortunate to have immunity, because her look was trashy, ugly hooker wear.

I liked Coral’s.

Octavio’s was a boring blob.

• Love 13

The winner’s look was well made, but did not fit the “floral” theme, IMO.  Irritated that she won.

I am liking Katie more, but I just don’t think her aesthetic is high end or runway.  There is a place for it, though.  I liked the photos of her designs they showed.  Not a fan of the rickrack ornamentation.  

• Love 17

Katie's headbands must be too tight if she thinks her capris would have kept her out of the bottom. She needs to get a job designing costumes for a kid's show. What do pre-schoolers watch besides Paw Patrol?

• LOL 6
  • Love 12

Katie’s dress reminded me of those all-in-one-bag Halloween costumes — like “sexy Rainbow Brite” or something. That said, I did like some of what they showed of Katie’s work outside of the show — reminded me a little of Lady Miss Kier from DeeLite!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

That was one fugly mess of a runway show, I’m not a fan of floral prints, but there wasn’t one look I even somewhat liked. 
So Chantelle wins on a ‘whisper’ of floral print the judges were squinting to see. But it was her sons birthday so…

It was about time Darren went home but the other two bottom hideous looks should have gone home too. I’m getting tired of all the sob stories but Katie throwing Christian under the bus for her clown costume (again) was a bad idea. 

💐💮🌼🌺🌹🌼🌻🌷💐💮🌾🌼🌹🏵️🌸💐🌼🌷🌻🌾🌺🌷🌻🏵️🌸💐🌼🌻🌷🥀🌺🏵️💮🌾💐🌹💮🌾🌺🥀🌸🌼💐🌻🌾🌷🌹🌼💐🌻🌺🌼🌻🌾🌸🌹🏵️🥀🌾💐🌻🌼🌷🌹

This  post is full of truth! I've been dying  for Darren to be sent home but Katie and Sabrina's looks were  most tragic.

I  liked Zayden's short dress with pouf shawl thing. It would have been stunning in that black and white print Octavio used!

I  somewhat liked Kristina's kimono robe,  but I didn't see any particular design heights being reached either in the creation of the print or the execution of the robe. A robe is a robe. 🌹I must admit I didn't get showing it over the shiny red jumpsuit.

Anna's china doll look was ok, but I've seen it on PR a few times.

Coral can really sew and fit clothes!

lol Gigi said Katie's look was "craftsy".  Ol' girl literally has a glue gun in her hand half the time

btw, did you know Sabrina was from Afghanistan? 🙄 It's like she has some compulsion to repeat it over and over.

Edited by T Summer
found another positive thought to add
  • Love 12

My son figured it out!!!! He was watching the runway with me (it is my daughter's and my "thing" that we watch PR and critique the looks and add commentary during the runway, but she's out of town, so he did his best to take her place) and took one look at Katie and said that she needed to be on LazyTown!! I yelled "that's it" so loud it scared the dogs and brought my husband out of the garage. 

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, estellasmum said:

My son figured it out!!!! He was watching the runway with me (it is my daughter's and my "thing" that we watch PR and critique the looks and add commentary during the runway, but she's out of town, so he did his best to take her place) and took one look at Katie and said that she needed to be on LazyTown!! I yelled "that's it" so loud it scared the dogs and brought my husband out of the garage. 

Had to look up Lazytown. 
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I don't think Shantall should have won with that print- the flowers weren't the focal point.  They were very small and delicate and the print certainly wouldn't be described as a floral print.  I do think her design and craftsmanship were excellent, though. (Walter'sHair, I also noticed that she was partial to that aesthetic!)

I liked Coral's design.  Several of these designers never seem to get much air time.  I guess we can determine who is in the top and bottom by the amount of airtime they receive.  If they are ignored, they are "safe."

Bravo online has a contest in which we can vote for our favorite look and enter a contest. It's nice to see a photo of each look, along with the designers name.

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

Katie trying to blame her kindergarten craft project clothing on Christian…

It actually makes me think of Tim Gunn, I don't know how many times we saw a designer take his advice & end up in the bottom three or even get eliminated. They should never listen to the mentor.

• Love 2

Darren’s print reminded me of a LaCroix can. 

Katie’s look was a hot mess but I am always curious to see what she’ll do. I give her that! Katie would really thrive with a mentorship. Maybe with Christian. His advice with her has been spot on. I think her prints are fun it’s her silhouettes that miss the mark and veer into toddler because they’re simple, it’s what she can sew in 2 days. 

ETA

Darren's print looked like a La Croix can. That's all I could see. 

ha, DeeReynolds I just saw you posted this! 

Edited by Refresh
  • Love 5

I usually like the make-your-own-fabric challenges, I just wish they weren't constrained to a theme. Hate pink but Kristina's design was sophisticated, and the most versatile of all the prints. That can be made in any shade, imagine in blues or purples it would be fantastic. Loved Anna's the best. I hope she gets to use it for herself after the show. Octavio's print looks almost exactly like a black and white floral mask I got at the dollar store last year.

Even worse, Katie didn't have capri pants, they were long shorts. The skirt was actually much better, but the 'layering' was all her and that was called out specifically. Glad someone pointed out Christian is not the voice of God. They are not obligated to follow his advice. And I think someone had a talk with him, because his critiques were less snobbish and snarky and more straightforward with minimum drama.

Darren's touchpoint is Spongebob? Oy. Oh well, he's gone. Show is doing a good job of eliminating the chaff this time.

• Love 4

Katy is designing for kindergarten clown school.

The burka catsuit could have been soooo mu h better if she'd had a gauzy olive burka that was full length but open up to the knee and slits all.arohd so the leg part of the print flashed when the model walked. Then at the end of the runway she pulls off the burka to reveal the cat suit in all its glory. Instead, she made a mini burka face shield that covered the entire chest area of the model so you didn't ever see the top part of the cat suit.  WTF was she thinking? It was such a great idea but so poorly presented.

BuhBye Darrin, you need to stop thinking the world wants to fuck you, and learn how to do something.well. just because your sister is a designer doesn't mean you are. Just sayin'...

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Bravo online has a contest in which we can vote for our favorite look and enter a contest. It's nice to see a photo of each look, along with the designers name.

Thanks! I tried to screenshot and paste the files here, but they were too big :(   Instead, here's the link:https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/viewers-verdict# and some random thoughts

1- Anna and her TV husbands? Her print really was pretty, and I was surprised her look was "safe". Like Prajje's, I didn't know if it would be "top" or "bottom" if it weren't.

2- Aaron is continually underlooked, even though I really like how he meets challenges. If I "had" to wear one of the designers, he'd be my choice this season.

3- Bone's top was typical Bones (and very cooking robe as a top) but he should have been dinged for pairing it with a solid black tube skirt. 

4- Chasity's intention sounded like what Coral actually executed, my personal favorite.

5- I like Darren's personal style, but that thing he put out on the runway was seriously fug......

6-.....but not as fug as Clown Heather Sunshine's, and I don't care for her personal style either. I was happy that one of the designers opined that it was uncool to blame that fug look on Christian, and even happier when the judges threw the responsibility for that back onto her.

7- I like Zayden, but that dress was shorter than a t-shirt.

• Love 18

Random episode thoughts:

---Aaron's outfit was beautiful Viking Caribbean Cruise wear, and I mean that as a compliment. 🙌

---Afghan Girl found out that, in fashion, we're more sympathetic to Haitians. 😐 

---WTH is a "cooking robe"? One whose sleeves catch on fire or dip into the gravy? 😛

---I haven't liked any outfit yet on a larger model. 😦

---Shantall was 1st Runner-Up in "Project Runway Latin America"?! Ringer! 🔔

---Who is Coral? 👻

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 9
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I actually think Christian is a good mentor.

Totally agree, I think he's been great. 

I really DON'T have the hate everyone else has for Katie, I think there's a real market for her big, fun prints.  The montage of her PR images I thought looked great.  I just DON'T think she's any kind of competition designer, and it's getting badly into her head. 

I honestly think that with as good as Christian has been, sometimes it just puts certain designs and designers of a certain mindset - of which Katie is in spades - in a bad spot.  They ignore Christian and lose, they are shit on for ignoring Christian; they listen to Christian and lose, they are shit on for listening to Christian.  She just doesn't have the confidence to work in a speedy gear and get around that problem.

Edited by Lassus
  • Useful 4
  • Love 18

I thought this runway would be beautiful, and it wasn't. I wonder if the designers had to wait on their fabric before they could decide how to pattern or drape, and that slowed their process down.

I loved the cooking robe's print. The rest of the prints were fairly ugly.

Katie's aesthetic reminds me of Betsey Johnson. Production recruited her as camera fodder, because she's not ready for the pace or the process. On her own time she does interesting stuff.

Loved Brandon's "southern girl" comments. We do love our big hair and bright makeup. We are fatally unhip.

Gigi acted as if she had just escaped the clutches of her lunatic mother.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • LOL 11
  • Love 7

I always feel bad for contestants like Katie (unless they are obnoxious), because they are a bad fit for this or any other reality show.  But that isn’t their fault.  Some producer chose them, knowing they were a bad fit and hoping for drama.   

• Love 16

Elaine: We judges all agree this is the most talented group of designers ever on PR!

Well, Elaine, I think that says just as much about the quality of the current judging panel as it does about the designers, because, no.

Ye, gads, I didn't like anything on the runway last night, not the prints nor the designs. I would've so preferred if they'd been tasked with using actual flowers for their designs. Not that I think many of this group would be up to the task. And, maybe it's just me, but I hate seeing the white underside of a print fabric in a finished product. Makes the fabric look cheap.

If I were a designer, I'd kill to have Mimi as my model. She's been the best thing so far this season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
5 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Ye, gads, I didn't like anything on the runway last night, not the prints nor the designs.

I mean, subjective and all, but I think this is a pretty GOOD group of designers, and I certainly liked a decent percentage of what I saw on the runway.

• Love 4

Which judge was it that said the bathrobe was a red carpet outfit?  I demand they wear one to their next event.

I liked the print for the robe, BUT IT WAS A ROBE.  Maybe a high-end look robe?  Robe was fine but looked really odd over that sparkly wierd dress and pants.

Scratching my head at how Prajje's was in any way, shape or form fresh or innovative.   Boo judges.

No more talk of relatives at all, or sob stories of any kind.  Boo producers.  Boo judges for encouraging any of that.

Darren was even flirting with his graphic designer.  Does he have a syndrome or something?

• Love 22