Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, RobC1116 said:

I'm surprised no one caught the mistake Matt made in the southern California Lake clue. I listened three times to make sure: he said, "Saltlon Sea." It's "Salton Sea." The judges should have flagged that as incorrect.

I had this still recorded and, interestingly, when I first played back his response, I too heard "Saltlon" with the extra L sound, but then I played it again and stood close to the TV and did not hear it. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never saw Roger Rabbit, so I was completely lost.

I saw Roger Rabbit and was lost anyway.

I can name the actor and the characters' names though so there's that in case it ever comes up.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol...

Matt's responses to James make me love him all the more...

The other one I saw said something about how nice it was that James has so much free time to throw shade on Twitter, because Matt has things to do.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also I have a problem with Send in the Clowns as his "best" song.  Most prevalent in pop culture?  Quite possibly but "best"?  I can think of dozens of other candidates. 

The clue, if I recall correctly, said "one of his greatest songs," which I think is a reasonable description.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I first shouted out, "Who Killed Roger Rabbit" but was able to correct to Framed.

I got FJ no problem but when the correct response of "Who Framed..." was displayed, it took me by surprise. I had read Gary Wolf's original novel back in '83 when it first came out, years before the movie. The title was "Who CENSORED Roger Rabbit." Roger was the murder victim, not the accused killer! (There are plenty of other plot changes, too.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The clue, if I recall correctly, said "one of his greatest songs," which I think is a reasonable description.

You are correct in the description of the clue @MrAtoz and I know that everyone's opinion of what is the greatest can vary.  Don't get me wrong, absolutely nothing is out of place in Send in the Clowns and I will take a Sondheim song over just about any other musical theater composition (but I love a wide variety of show tunes).  For me, the greatest would include The Miller's Son or a Weekend in the Country (from Night Music), Side by Side (or really anything from Company), Someone in a Tree (from Pacific Overtures), A Little Priest or God, that's Good (Sweeney Todd), Now You Know or Opening Doors (Merrily We Roll Along) Waiting for the Girls Upstairs or I'm Still Here (Follies) or about a dozen others I could mention.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, laredhead said:

Shapeshifter, where did you see the follow up comments from the contestants and Mayim about Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  My local station cuts away to the next program immediately after the winner is shown.

I follow Matt on Twitter. I don't know where that post-game video was first posted, but you can go to this link without following him to see it and others: https://twitter.com/AmodioMatt

10 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Side by Side

humming now

• Love 3

I just read the archive, since I'm now going to have a phone call at 7:00 tonight.

The gin brand is Beefeater, not Beefeater's, so unless Matt's answer was incorrectly transcribed, he should not have been given credit. 

The defund TS surprised me, given the "much in the news" hint in the clue.

I ran divide, code, and booze in the first round, but missed three in penny, two in books, and one in color (and then promptly smacked my forehead for not guessing The Blue Boy).

In DJ, I only ran cells and OED.  I did even worse than I normally do in classical music categories, missing all but one.  I also missed all but one in sequels, plus three in awards and two in abdicated.  Not my round!

At least I rebounded to get FJ as an instaget (but not because I knew the book being quoted, just because children's book + rabbit = Beatrix Potter).

• Love 3

Um, it's Beefeater Gin, not Beefeater's. I suppose you could argue that he was referencing the brand-owner of the website with the possessive, but....questionable. ("the website of this gin brand" = Beefeater's website? eh....)

Round 1: Ran Booze and Secret Code, missed one Book (couldn't think of Mockingjay) and two in Great Divide, but only got one each in Color and Penny Ante, for 63%

Round 2: Ran nothing…only missed one each in The Cell and OED…only got one each in Movies and Abdication…barely managed 50% with that last Star Wars clue.

Got no TSes and my only DD was Matt's missed DD of Turing. (Something tells me he's gonna hear about that one from his computer science colleagues.)

Final: Instaget. 2 for 2 on the FJ contest for so far this week... Final score 57%. Bleh.

I don't like Mayim giving all the scores when they pick a DD (did she only do it on Matt's?) The players can see the scores and the host should leave it up to them to look and do the math. Plus it's annoying and unnecessary. (I know Alex would sometimes say the score of the player in question when they got a DD, but not all three.)

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The gin brand is Beefeater, not Beefeater's, so unless Matt's answer was incorrectly transcribed, he should not have been given credit. 

It wasn't. I was expecting a correction after the break but they didn't do it.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clue of James II.

I got the entire categories of Book and abdication right.  I missed the first in code, but once I saw what they were doing that was ridiculously easy.

• Love 1

Welcome to rabbit week on Jeopardy!  I wonder if all the FJs this week will involve rabbits somehow.  Another instaget FJ for me at least.  But all three of them should have had to be more specific.  Kit Potter?  Harry Potter?  

The only TS I got were New Mexico and defund.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I just caught the very end of the last episode. I though that Mayim  seemed to be doing a good job. She didn't do that laugh thing. I was surprised to see Richards name pop up at the end though. I thought he was gone?

Of course I've been living under a rock because I had no idea who Matt was or that he won 20 something games? I feel like James was actually talked about and more well known. But maybe that's just me...

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Welcome to rabbit week on Jeopardy!

Thanks a lot for beating me to it Browncoat. NOT!

No category header over the FJ clue tonight.

Matt missing that computer science DD is like me missing a DD about show dogs when the answer is a breed I own. Harsh!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Welcome to rabbit week on Jeopardy!  I wonder if all the FJs this week will involve rabbits somehow.  Another instaget FJ for me at least.  But all three of them should have had to be more specific.  Kit Potter?  Harry Potter?  

I wondered if there were another author of children's books named Potter and I came across this one. None of the books appear to involve rabbits, though. My guess is that no one wanted to chance the spelling of "Beatrix".

I was sorry to miss last night's game, since I gather it actually came down to FJ.

22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Another instaget FJ for me at least.  But all three of them should have had to be more specific.  Kit Potter?  Harry Potter?  

Real question since you all are experts - I couldn’t remember the last name of Potter until the very last second.  If I had wrote ‘Beatrix’ would that be acceptable as an answer? 

22 minutes ago, blueray said:

I just caught the very end of the last episode. I though that Mayim  seemed to be doing a good job. She didn't do that laugh thing. I was surprised to see Richards name pop up at the end though. I thought he was gone?

Of course I've been living under a rock because I had no idea who Matt was or that he won 20 something games? I feel like James was actually talked about and more well known. But maybe that's just me...

Yeah, she's been better, though she still has some stuff that bugs (more tonight than last night, for me, at least). Mike Richards taped the first day as host, so that was last week's episodes, and stepped down as host the next day (so that day got postponed). He wasn't out as EP until 11 days later, apparently. Mayim filmed three days (this week's episodes +2 more weeks) the following week so I'm guessing his name will still show up for the next few weeks.

Matt seems to have gotten a bit overshadowed by all the host drama.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

Anyone else have flashbacks to high school biology with the phrase "permeable plasma membrane"?

Clearly Matt didn't hear me yelling Turing at him 🙄

I did get FJ today - took a little while but I managed to pull her out of my brain in time! I immediately knew who they were going for, but could not immediately recall either the book series or the author. Luckily managed to pull the author's name out of my head, though The Tales of Peter Rabbit had to wait for Mayim to mention it.

So we had Roger Rabbit, Peter Rabbit...maybe tomorrow will be Velveteen Rabbit?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Matt's missed DD of Turing. (Something tells me he's gonna hear about that one from his computer science colleagues.)

When he wagered more than necessary and more than he had said (early in his run) he was comfortable with, I said “Ooh” in my motherly voice, and then when I saw the clue I thought: This could be humiliating. 🙁

Just like Comp Sci is Matt’s forte, CHILDREN'S BOOKS is a category that I should have mastery of, and Beatrix Potter was an instaget, but evidently she was an instaget for everyone else too. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Just like Comp Sci is Matt’s forte, CHILDREN'S BOOKS is a category that I should have mastery of, and Beatrix Potter was an instaget, but evidently she was an instaget for everyone else too. 

Only because there are no rabbits in any of Maurice Sendak's books.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

maybe tomorrow will be Velveteen Rabbit?

Friends dialogue…

Kathy: Thank you for the book.
Chandler: The book?
Kathy: The Velveteen Rabbit? I kind of have a feeling you had something to do with it.
Chandler: What do you mean?
Kathy: Well, when Joey gave it to me he said: "This is 'cause I know you like rabbits, and I know you like cheese."

• LOL 13
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Every time I was in a bookstore and saw "Pat the Bunny" - I thought the bunny's name was pat. I didn't realize it was a verb. That's what I get for not having kids.

Me, too!

I must have leporiphobia - fear of rabbits. For Monday's Final Jeopardy, I could only remember that it was that Jessica Rabbit film. Tuesday, I knew it was a book by that lady who wrote Peter Rabbit, that lady who was played by Rene Zellweger in the movie about her life...

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Or one of these? (Though I've never heard of most of them.)

I've heard of a handful of them (but I worked in bookstores for 8 years, so..). I love that they included John Oliver's Marlon Bundo book. :)

9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Watership Down is the only one I've heard of. 

Every time I was in a bookstore and saw "Pat the Bunny" - I thought the bunny's name was pat. I didn't realize it was a verb. That's what I get for not having kids.

I worked at a bookstore with a woman named Pat who we called Pat the Bunny. She made it her Halloween costume several times (at least one year she was Bunnicula...same costume but with vampire teeth and fake blood). 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, GreekGeek said:
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

Or one of these? (Though I've never heard of most of them.)

Also possibly: 

• Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt (1940) —as @Prevailing Wind just posted and @secnarf suggested earlier
  • Voyage to the Bunny Planet —a 3-book set by Rosemary Wells

• Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown —mentioned but not featured in the list @GreekGeek linked above 

But I think Mayim’s character on TBBT may have been partial to The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real) by Margery Williams, so that seems most likely to me; perhaps the alternate title will be a clue?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I’m enjoying reading all of your posts on rabbits and whether a answer should be accepted or not. I miss the BMS statement. There are too many answers that people are being given credit for that I believe need more information.  All I got was Turing and said Beatrix Potter for FJ. 

• Love 3

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've heard of a handful of them (but I worked in bookstores for 8 years, so..). I love that they included John Oliver's Marlon Bundo book. :)

That amused me too.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Also possibly: 

• Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt (1940) —as @Prevailing Wind just posted and @secnarf suggested earlier
  • Voyage to the Bunny Planet —a 3-book set by Rosemary Wells

• Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown —mentioned but not featured in the list @GreekGeek linked above 

But I think Mayim’s character on TBBT may have been partial to The Velveteen Rabbit (or How Toys Become Real) by Margery Williams, so that seems most likely to me; perhaps the alternate title will be a clue?

The Velveteen Rabbit is my all time favorite children's book, from the time I was a child. I don't think I'm an Amy Farrah Fowler. 😉 One of my biggest disappointments as a parent is that my girls didn't love the books I did. Oh well, they loved plenty of good ones. Different tastes. But I mean, what kid could resist The Borrowers? Mine. 😥

I didn't run anything, but I did fairly well across the board. Turing was an instaget for me. I got FJ, but I dismissed it at first, thinking it was too obvious. But said it in enough time.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Watership Down is the only one I've heard of. 

I was really confused when I saw a book named “Pat the Pixie!” (The pixie’s name is Pat—please do not try to pat the pixie! 😳)

• LOL 4
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Every time I was in a bookstore and saw "Pat the Bunny" - I thought the bunny's name was pat. I didn't realize it was a verb.

I always assumed it was a name.  Now I know, thanks.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, secnarf said:

Twenty-five books plus oodles of movies with rabbits, including "Harvey," "Bambi" (Thumper), "Alice in Wonderland" (the March Hare), "Space Jam" (Bugs Bunny), and, gulp, "Fatal Attraction."

Edited to list March Hare where I had incorrectly listed Mad Hatter. Thank you @Kimmmmmm, for catching my hare-brained flub!

Edited by HissyFit
Correcting my error. See Kimmmmmm's post below.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Twenty-five books plus oodles of movies with rabbits, including "Harvey," "Bambi" (Thumper), "Alice in Wonderland" (the Mad Hatter), "Space Jam" (Bugs Bunny), and, gulp, "Fatal Attraction."

The March Hare...not the Mad Hatter 😉

• Love 1

It was another archive game for me, so I still have yet to see Mayim's hosting this time around (and will be watching football tomorrow night, so it won't happen until Friday).

The title of the Acronyms & Abbreviations category annoyed me; an acronym is a type of abbreviation.  It should have been called Acronyms and Initialisms.  (For accuracy, and, perhaps as a bonus, those who call them all acronyms might learn there's a difference and stop doing that.)

I missed one each in national parks and movies (I knew Morricone, but couldn't pull his name out of my brain), but got everything else in the first round.  In DJ, I only ran _R_M, but still did well overall; I missed two each in art* and characters, and one each in the rest.

*Well, technically three in art, but I'm giving myself credit for black lacquer, as I feel sure I'd have got it had I been able to see the picture (but it was a TS, so maybe it was a bad picture and I wouldn't have). 

FJ was another instaget, so having two of those in a row was nice after not having the slightest clue for Monday's.

• Love 2

Hey, that's my "local" news! (I'm actually in Central Jersey and I get ABC and NBC out of both NYC and Philly, but only the NYC channel is in HD.)

J!: Ran What a Week!, Acronyms & Abbreviations, and New York News, missed two each in the other categories for 70%. Got the DD; other than Matt missing that, there were no TSes.

DJ: Didn't run anything, but got 4 each in History, Comedy, and _R_M. Missed 2 in Characters and Matter and 3 in Art & Design, for 65%. Got the second DD; I knew what book they wanted for the first one but couldn't think of the character (I hated Heart of Darkness). There were only two TSes and I didn't get either one. Fun Fact: The DDs were right next to each other on the board.

FJ: I got it! I did not think I was right but I couldn't come up with anything else. The streak continues! Final score 68%.

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

*Well, technically three in art, but I'm giving myself credit for black lacquer, as I feel sure I'd have got it had I been able to see the picture (but it was a TS, so maybe it was a bad picture and I wouldn't have). 

image.png.b065d63b689fcbd76c74dbac1f08b261.png

• Love 3